PDA

View Full Version : SI's Peter King thinks Tebow may start this year

lostknight
04-27-2010, 12:22 PM
MMQB Mailbag: Two reasons Tebow might start for Broncos in 2010
I've thought all along that Tim Tebow would need a redshirt year, but two things now tell me I might be wrong.

First, Denver trading the 40th, 70th and 114th picks in a power draft to pick Tebow is a powerful statement. Check out the draft trade chart that every team uses and you'll see how much Denver wanted to make sure it wasn't leapfrogged in the Tebow derby. The 25th pick is worth 720 points on the chart every team in the league uses -- some more religiously than others. The 43rd pick is worth 470, the 70th worth 240, and the 114th worth 66. That totals 776. The Broncos paid 56 more points than were necessary by the chart -- equivalent to the 199th overall pick, a late fourth-rounder -- to get Tebow. Denver, obviously, wanted to make the deal badly enough to ratchet up the compensation.

McDaniels made it clear to me the best quarterback will start. He said Kyle Orton is the incumbent, and the starter, today. In camp, who knows? Maybe Brady Quinn lights it up, or maybe Tebow comes along faster than everybody thinks. But the fact Tebow already has a head-start on knowing the offense, and was peeved he had to leave Denver over the weekend to go back home (NFL rules don't permit rookie to be at their team's facilities, other than for a rookie mini-camp, until their class graduates in the spring) is a sign he might come along quicker in the mental part of the game than many draftees would.
I wouldn't be surprised if McDaniels invented some sort of red zone or goal line package for Tebow. Could it be the kind of draw/jump-pass thing Tebow did with the Gators? Maybe. But something to get Tebow on the field a few snaps a game if he doesn't win the job, just to throw a changeup at the opposition. Now, this would be interesting for team chemistry, because whoever wins the starting job (I assume Orton) will have to swallow hard to be OK with getting yanked a couple of times a game for Tebow. But McDaniels is sure to preach the all-for-one, one-for-all team-think attitude in OTAs this spring and training camp this summer, and if the quarterbacks don't buy in, they'll move on.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/04/27/mailbag/index.html?eref=sihp#ixzz0mKHVsdQ7

It's interesting. I think there are two camps emerging. One is that Tebow needs to become the prototypical pocket passer, the second is that a NFL team needs to become more Tebow-like.

HooptyHoops
04-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Tebow is not going to be a drop back passer....he is going to revolutinze the QB position in the NFL...McDaniels is going to love unleashing this new offense on the NFL!!

Shoemaker
04-27-2010, 12:38 PM
It's interesting. I think there are two camps emerging. One is that Tebow needs to become the prototypical pocket passer, the second is that a NFL team needs to become more Tebow-like.

I've seen this too. All we need to know, however, is which camp Josh McDaniels is in. He'll be the only one making these decisions, after all.

For my money, I'd say he's in the second camp. I think he's going to try to create a more complicated, NFL version of the shotgun spread offense-like what he used for the Patriots in 2007, but with more emphasis on the running game-and he's going to build it around Tebow as the centerpiece.

Its impossible to say whether he'll succeed or fail, but I'm of the opinion that it will certainly be exciting to watch.

MaloCS
04-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Its impossible to say whether he'll succeed or fail, but I'm of the opinion that it will certainly be exciting to watch.

I agree and am looking forward to watching it.

DBroncos4life
04-27-2010, 12:46 PM
I all for a new NFL system to build around Tebow.

Popps
04-27-2010, 12:46 PM
Jake Plummer wasn't a prototypical pocket passer and we were on the doorstep to a Sueperbowl.

Tebow is more gifted, physically... and no one questions his heart. So, I wonder why people are discounting the notion that McDaniels might be able to design an offense around his skillset, or simply emphasize those elements of our current offense that would suit him best.?

bowtown
04-27-2010, 12:47 PM
MMQB Mailbag: Two reasons Tebow might start for Broncos in 2010
I've thought all along that Tim Tebow would need a redshirt year, but two things now tell me I might be wrong.

First, Denver trading the 40th, 70th and 114th picks in a power draft to pick Tebow is a powerful statement. Check out the draft trade chart that every team uses and you'll see how much Denver wanted to make sure it wasn't leapfrogged in the Tebow derby. The 25th pick is worth 720 points on the chart every team in the league uses -- some more religiously than others. The 43rd pick is worth 470, the 70th worth 240, and the 114th worth 66. That totals 776. The Broncos paid 56 more points than were necessary by the chart -- equivalent to the 199th overall pick, a late fourth-rounder -- to get Tebow. Denver, obviously, wanted to make the deal badly enough to ratchet up the compensation.

McDaniels made it clear to me the best quarterback will start. He said Kyle Orton is the incumbent, and the starter, today. In camp, who knows? Maybe Brady Quinn lights it up, or maybe Tebow comes along faster than everybody thinks. But the fact Tebow already has a head-start on knowing the offense, and was peeved he had to leave Denver over the weekend to go back home (NFL rules don't permit rookie to be at their team's facilities, other than for a rookie mini-camp, until their class graduates in the spring) is a sign he might come along quicker in the mental part of the game than many draftees would.
I wouldn't be surprised if McDaniels invented some sort of red zone or goal line package for Tebow. Could it be the kind of draw/jump-pass thing Tebow did with the Gators? Maybe. But something to get Tebow on the field a few snaps a game if he doesn't win the job, just to throw a changeup at the opposition. Now, this would be interesting for team chemistry, because whoever wins the starting job (I assume Orton) will have to swallow hard to be OK with getting yanked a couple of times a game for Tebow. But McDaniels is sure to preach the all-for-one, one-for-all team-think attitude in OTAs this spring and training camp this summer, and if the quarterbacks don't buy in, they'll move on.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/04/27/mailbag/index.html?eref=sihp#ixzz0mKHVsdQ7

I bolded all the parts of Peter King's article that I found interesting.

BigPlayShay
04-27-2010, 01:02 PM
The best part of the article is what Josh had to say:

"When I went to Gainesville Monday to work him out,'' McDaniels said, referring to his hush-hush trip to spend the day with Tebow, "we spent about seven hours together. We went over a lot of things. Now, understand that our offense is pretty complicated, and the terminology and the scheme is totally different from what he did at Florida. But about midway through my time there, we're going through plays, and he starts using our terminology. He's so smart about football that he was able to begin to speak my language and talk apples to apples. He'd already translated what he knew of our scheme into my words. That's something that carried a lot of weight with me.''

McDaniels also said: "The football traits he has is the stuff you die for.''

ludo21
04-27-2010, 01:07 PM
But the fact Tebow already has a head-start on knowing the offense, and was peeved he had to leave Denver over the weekend to go back home.

Liking this guy more and more. Tebow will work hard and Mcd as well to make this thing work. So long as the OL plays well this year, Tebow can definitely emerge as the starter I think.

Hercules Rockefeller
04-27-2010, 01:20 PM
Doubt he starts this year short of injuries to both Orton and Quinn, but I think you'll see him used like he was as a freshman at Florida. He'll come in for special sets and down by the goalline.

scorpio
04-27-2010, 01:22 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d-qodBTlMtA&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d-qodBTlMtA&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

TonyR
04-27-2010, 01:24 PM
More importantly, of course, is the fact that I made King's mailbag. My 15 minutes of fame are on the clock. (Some credit should go to whoever started the Tebow/Vince Young thread here on the Mane.)

INTERESTING POINT ABOUT TEBOW AND VINCE YOUNG. From Tony of Wilmington, Del.: "Mr. King, do you find it at all interesting that so many question the Tim Tebow pick when Vince Young was considered to be first-round worthy when he was picked? Both had some mechanics issues, and both relied a lot on their athleticism as opposed to being pure passing QB's. But Tim Tebow was a better college QB in almost every respect. Most notably Tebow was more of a winner and appears to have far better intangibles and leadership ability. Why are so many willing to dismiss Tebow, particularly when Tebow appears to be strong in the areas where Young has struggled, i.e. the mental part of the game?''

It's an interesting point. I think the biggest thing they have in common is bad classic NFL quarterback mechanics. Young is still working on that aspect, as well as his accuracy. Tebow has a long way to go with his mechanics, but he'll have a good teacher in Josh McDaniels.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/04/27/mailbag/1.html#ixzz0mKXEQzl3
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

crush17
04-27-2010, 01:25 PM
that's crazy he started using the terminology like that. aaaahhh! I am so ready for the season to start again!!

Baba Booey
04-27-2010, 01:27 PM
Doubt he starts this year short of injuries to both Orton and Quinn, but I think you'll see him used like he was as a freshman at Florida. He'll come in for special sets and down by the goalline.

That's what I'm thinking too.

atomicbloke
04-27-2010, 01:31 PM
I am liking the pick more and more.

Don't remember the last time a Broncos draft had left me so euphoric.

Old Dude
04-27-2010, 01:36 PM
Haed start on knowing the offense? What head start?
----------------------------------------------------

Oh well. I'm not sure I think McD is going to design his entire offense around any one player - Tebow or anyone else. If anything, McD seems to have an almost Dan Reeves like stubborn streak in deciding that the players are going to adjust themselves to HIS scheme and not vice versa.
---------------------------

All that said, I think King may be right about Tebow starting sooner than expected. They invested a lot in him and if Orton or Quinn hit a rough spot (and we all know they will) it will be very tempting to put Tebow out there.

Reeves started Elway before he was ready. Shanahan did the same with Cutler. I wouldn't be surprised to see it again in this situation.

bloodsunday
04-27-2010, 02:32 PM
But the fact Tebow already has a head-start on knowing the offense, and was peeved he had to leave Denver over the weekend to go back home.

Liking this guy more and more. Tebow will work hard and Mcd as well to make this thing work. So long as the OL plays well this year, Tebow can definitely emerge as the starter I think.

This was my favorite part as well. This is the one thing that every head coach (at least those that work directly with the QBs) dreams of -- a QB that works as hard as he does. That was one of Shanahan's biggest disappointments with Plummer.

PRBronco
04-27-2010, 02:35 PM
More importantly, of course, is the fact that I made King's mailbag. My 15 minutes of fame are on the clock. (Some credit should go to whoever started the Tebow/Vince Young thread here on the Mane.)

INTERESTING POINT ABOUT TEBOW AND VINCE YOUNG. From Tony of Wilmington, Del.: "Mr. King, do you find it at all interesting that so many question the Tim Tebow pick when Vince Young was considered to be first-round worthy when he was picked? Both had some mechanics issues, and both relied a lot on their athleticism as opposed to being pure passing QB's. But Tim Tebow was a better college QB in almost every respect. Most notably Tebow was more of a winner and appears to have far better intangibles and leadership ability. Why are so many willing to dismiss Tebow, particularly when Tebow appears to be strong in the areas where Young has struggled, i.e. the mental part of the game?''

It's an interesting point. I think the biggest thing they have in common is bad classic NFL quarterback mechanics. Young is still working on that aspect, as well as his accuracy. Tebow has a long way to go with his mechanics, but he'll have a good teacher in Josh McDaniels.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/04/27/mailbag/1.html#ixzz0mKXEQzl3

Well done! I'm glad that's out there for people to chew on.

Cool Breeze
04-27-2010, 02:57 PM
Peter King also gave us a failing grade for the pick.
If he throws enough **** at the wall - come football season he'll have hit it right on one of his opinions...

Chris
04-27-2010, 03:05 PM

A lot of our plays were stolen directly out of Florida's playbook. McD admitted as much.

kamakazi_kal
04-27-2010, 03:16 PM
I all for a new NFL system to build around Tebow.

As long as it's not 90% bubble screens I'm on board ......

elsid13
04-27-2010, 03:39 PM
A lot of our plays were stolen directly out of Florida's playbook. McD admitted as much.

It not about plays (because there are only so many passing routes and route combination), it about the vocabulary and how it used and when. Add in the fact that Tebow is not used to speed of NFL defense or lack of time he gets to make a read and throw it would be disaster if he starts this season.

Rohirrim
04-27-2010, 03:52 PM
----------------------------------------------------

Oh well. I'm not sure I think McD is going to design his entire offense around any one player - Tebow or anyone else. If anything, McD seems to have an almost Dan Reeves like stubborn streak in deciding that the players are going to adjust themselves to HIS scheme and not vice versa.
---------------------------

All that said, I think King may be right about Tebow starting sooner than expected. They invested a lot in him and if Orton or Quinn hit a rough spot (and we all know they will) it will be very tempting to put Tebow out there.

Reeves started Elway before he was ready. Shanahan did the same with Cutler. I wouldn't be surprised to see it again in this situation.

Now the question is, what if McD intends to bring the full "Urban Meyer" to the NFL? If that's his "scheme" Tebow won't have much to adapt to. Josh already said in one interview that Tebow had picked up on much of his scheme in one afternoon and was already using his terminology. IMO, we're in for a surprise. I hope it works.

bap454
04-27-2010, 03:56 PM
If we start Tebow from the get go, we could be in the running for the Jake Locker sweepstakes!

elsid13
04-27-2010, 04:01 PM
Now the question is, what if McD intends to bring the full "Urban Meyer" to the NFL? If that's his "scheme" Tebow won't have much to adapt to. Josh already said in one interview that Tebow had picked up on much of his scheme in one afternoon and was already using his terminology. IMO, we're in for a surprise. I hope it works.

There is major difference from understanding how plays work on the white board and making things work on the field. I hope for the best, but Tebow is a project and if he gets on the field he going to struggle like 99% of all rookies.

Kaylore
04-27-2010, 04:05 PM
I'll say this: It's nice to finally have a QB on the roster who lives, sleeps, eats, drinks and pisses football. That he wants to stay and learn is all I need to know.

If there is one thing I know, it's that no matter what you do in life, hard work will always pay off in some way. The NFL is no different and that he works so hard and more importantly wants to work so hard will be huge; Not only for his development but for earning the respect of his teammates.

Hercules Rockefeller
04-27-2010, 04:30 PM
If we start Tebow from the get go, we could be in the running for the Jake Locker sweepstakes!

and they're not taking Locker after drafting Tebow

snowspot66
04-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Jake Plummer wasn't a prototypical pocket passer and we were on the doorstep to a Sueperbowl.

Tebow is more gifted, physically... and no one questions his heart. So, I wonder why people are discounting the notion that McDaniels might be able to design an offense around his skillset, or simply emphasize those elements of our current offense that would suit him best.?

Plummer was the anti-pocket passer. He was All-World on the bootleg though. Kubes squeezed gallons out of that stone.

listopencil
04-27-2010, 06:48 PM
Wow, what a crap article. Peter king wrote this? He's a hack. Here are his "two reasons" after you remove the bull****:

1) Denver, obviously, wanted to make the deal badly enough to ratchet up the compensation.

2) In camp, who knows?

Wow. That's awesome, Pete. Shut the hell up you stupid ****ing hack. Go eat a cheeseburger or something.

Hercules Rockefeller
04-27-2010, 06:54 PM
Wow, what a crap article. Peter king wrote this? He's a hack. Here are his "two reasons" after you remove the bull****:

1) Denver, obviously, wanted to make the deal badly enough to ratchet up the compensation.

and he should check the past few trades from around #43 to get back in the 1st.

It took a future 1st for Baltimore to move from the late 30's to #19 or so to draft Boller.

It cost Buffalo their 2nd, a 4th or 5th and a future 1st to trade up to #22 in '04 to get JP Losman, the 2nd round pick they gave up was #43.

Denver got off pretty cheap.

baja
04-27-2010, 07:03 PM
and he should check the past few trades from around #43 to get back in the 1st.

It took a future 1st for Baltimore to move from the late 30's to #19 or so to draft Boller.

It cost Buffalo their 2nd, a 4th or 5th and a future 1st to trade up to #22 in '04 to get JP Losman, the 2nd round pick they gave up was #43.

Denver got off pretty cheap.

HAs anyone worked out who we could have drafted had we not traded with Bmore???

ZONA
04-27-2010, 07:12 PM

I don't see the point in doing that. It doesn't matter now does it? The deal was done and we go from there.

Smilin Assassin
04-27-2010, 07:17 PM

QB Mark Herrmann and Guard Chris Hinton.

montrose
04-27-2010, 08:03 PM

I think it'll be the bolded latter, I don't think Josh has ever liked the idea of building the team around a player or a few players - but having a general philosophy and finding players that fit within it and modifying the game plan to suit the players he and Xanders get.

This. Although, I don't think it's out of the question he's starting sooner than some think - especially if Orton/Quinn crumble with Tebow breathing down their neck like Jake did in 06.

listopencil
04-27-2010, 08:14 PM
QB Mark Herrmann and Guard Chris Hinton.

Heh, nice. Rep.

Circle Orange
04-27-2010, 08:17 PM
Unable to compete with Tebow's winning smile, bulging biceps and heavenly charisma, Quinn and Orton were last seen on a bus heading to Mexico.

misturanderson
04-27-2010, 08:26 PM

A good question with a worthless answer. He couldn't come up with anything better than that? "Interesting point. Young did kind of suck at throwing and still does. Tebow is pretty bad at throwing right now, but has a good teacher to help him improve. I'm going to ignore all of the other aspects of your question so that my bashing of the pick doesn't look so stupid. The end."

I would really like to know what he thought of Young during the 2006 draft.

The Moops
04-28-2010, 04:14 AM
I've come to the conclusion that Peter King must get paid per word, because they certainly aren't paying him for any expertise or insight.

KYChamp24
04-28-2010, 09:52 AM
I am liking the pick more and more.

Don't remember the last time a Broncos draft had left me so euphoric.

Sad. Keep drinking the Kool-aid.

Rohirrim
04-28-2010, 09:58 AM

22. Demaryius Thomas, WR
43. Toby Gerhart, RB
45. Zane Beadles, LG
70. Alex Carrington, DE
80. JD Walton, OC
87. Eric Decker, WR
114. AJ Edds, ILB
137. Perrish Cox, CB/KR
183. Kyle Calloway, OL
225. Syd'Quan Thompson, CB/ST
232. Jim Dray, TE

bowtown
04-28-2010, 10:05 AM
22. Demaryius Thomas, WR
43. Toby Gerhart, RB
45. Zane Beadles, LG
70. Alex Carrington, DE
80. JD Walton, OC
87. Eric Decker, WR
114. AJ Edds, ILB
137. Perrish Cox, CB/KR
183. Kyle Calloway, OL
225. Syd'Quan Thompson, CB/ST
232. Jim Dray, TE

Ed Dsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!

spdirty
04-28-2010, 10:08 AM
Havent been this excited to see preseason games since '05 (Bradlee) and '06 (Cutler).