PDA

View Full Version : OT: Visiting Colorado

USAFBronco
04-27-2010, 07:30 AM
Hey Guys,

I'm more of a Lurking member, occasionally posting but I'm looking for some help.

I'm going to be out at Peterson AFB Wednesday-Sunday and I'm trying to figure out some of the can't miss areas of Denver and Co Springs. I lived out there when I was younger but haven't been back since 2000 so I can only assume things have changed alot!

So what are some of the can't miss places? I'm absolutly going to hit up the Stadium and Pikes peak(wife wants to see it), but where else? I'll be staying in Denver Saturday any recommendations on hotels?

Thanks in advance guys,

:Broncos:

Peoples Champ
04-27-2010, 07:38 AM
casa bonita?

That One Guy
04-27-2010, 07:42 AM
There's the little historic town there in Co Springs (the name escapes me) that my wife enjoyed walking around and shopping. Cave of the winds is pretty lame but it is the home to ManBearPig. Garden of the Gods is neat enough to enjoy the first time or two. Cut a fence and break into NORAD... well, maybe not that last one.

For Co Springs, that's about all I can think of. Don't know Denver too well.

OABB
04-27-2010, 07:44 AM
There's the little historic town there in Co Springs (the name escapes me) that my wife enjoyed walking around and shopping. Cave of the winds is pretty lame but it is the home to ManBearPig. Garden of the Gods is neat enough to enjoy the first time or two. Cut a fence and break into NORAD... well, maybe not that last one.

manitou spring I think(spell?)

spdirty
04-27-2010, 07:44 AM
casa bonita?

Make sure you eat before you go though.

bronclvr
04-27-2010, 07:51 AM
How about going to Royal Gorge (Canon City)? Or, to Red Rocks (Morrison), tour Coors Brewery, Downtown Aquarium, Invesco Field (get some Broncos gear), Pikes peak (not sure of the Weather though), Estes Park, Boulder, or BlackHawk (Gambling)? Lots to do-

Rohirrim
04-27-2010, 07:53 AM
casa bonita?

Ha!

http://www.travelingben.com/trips/06-08%20us/Update02/slides/Cartman-Casa-Bonita.jpg

Irish Stout
04-27-2010, 07:58 AM
Since 2000, some things have changed, but not really the "can't miss" stuff. The thing about Colorado is the can't miss stuff is primarily out doors and often under the lights of Mile High Light. If you're in Wednesday, you might enjoy checking out the Nuggets playoff game at the Pepsi center. The Denver mint is a decent stop for a quick tour watching em print up all that cash.

Figuring out what else you should do all depends what you like. Do you like drinking beer? There are some great breweries in the Springs and Denver. Do you like zoos, museums, shopping? There some decent stops for those too. I'd suggest you play some golf at the Air Force base, if you're into that.

Good luck.

skunk
04-27-2010, 08:00 AM
go to a rockies game and get marcos pizza before

Chris
04-27-2010, 08:13 AM
Red Rock.

Sorry my experience is more in the mountains.

Peoples Champ
04-27-2010, 08:18 AM
Ha!

http://www.travelingben.com/trips/06-08%20us/Update02/slides/Cartman-Casa-Bonita.jpg

its the disneyland of mexican restaurants

USAFBronco
04-27-2010, 08:20 AM

Awesome, my wife loves shopping so that'll be something we do. I've been to Garden of the gods when I was younger, if she wants to go, we'll do it, if not, I'll skip it. NORAD, I'll pass :P

Thanks for the info

USAFBronco
04-27-2010, 08:22 AM
How about going to Royal Gorge (Canon City)? Or, to Red Rocks (Morrison), tour Coors Brewery, Downtown Aquarium, Invesco Field (get some Broncos gear), Pikes peak (not sure of the Weather though), Estes Park, Boulder, or BlackHawk (Gambling)? Lots to do-

I forgot about the Aquarium, great call. Invesco is a must, I'm going to be loading up on broncos gear(tough to find up here in Pats country). hell, I'm planning on going into Wal-Mart and buying random bronco stuff just because I can. Pikes peak will be a must also for me if the weather's nice.

Thank you for the ideas

Rigs11
04-27-2010, 08:23 AM
garden of the gods,cave of the winds

USAFBronco
04-27-2010, 08:26 AM
Since 2000, some things have changed, but not really the "can't miss" stuff. The thing about Colorado is the can't miss stuff is primarily out doors and often under the lights of Mile High Light. If you're in Wednesday, you might enjoy checking out the Nuggets playoff game at the Pepsi center. The Denver mint is a decent stop for a quick tour watching em print up all that cash.

Figuring out what else you should do all depends what you like. Do you like drinking beer? There are some great breweries in the Springs and Denver. Do you like zoos, museums, shopping? There some decent stops for those too. I'd suggest you play some golf at the Air Force base, if you're into that.

Good luck.

O! I am absolutly going to see if I can get tickets, that'd be awesome. Great call on the MINT, completly forgot about that one. I love drinking beer so breweries could definitly be added to my itenerary.

I won't be doing much golfing, recently tore my ACL.

And I thought about the ROCKIES, and looked up thier schedule, they're out of town this weekend =(. Good call though.

I'm hoping to make a great impression of Co to the wife and convince her to want to move out there. I know I miss the place.

Tombstone RJ
04-27-2010, 08:32 AM
The Air Force Academy is a beautiful place and you and your wife might consider a tour of the facility. Also, I grew up right next to NORAD and I'm not sure how that facility is run anymore (I know you can do tours but not sure what kind of tours) but if you are a member of the military it might be a great place to visit.

The Cheyenne Mountain Zoo is kindof a cool zoo to visit, you also have the Will Rogers Shrine above the zoo. It's also right next door to NORAD (not sure if your interested in NORAD or Ft. Carson or Peterson AFB but they are all in Colorado Springs). Gold Camp Road is a dirt trek road back into the Mountains, if you have a day to spend driving around it might be fun. There's also another trail up there (can't think of the name off the top of my head) where you can drive up into the mountains. 7 Falls is kind of a cool place to visit, it's up behind the Broadmoor Hotel (when I was younger I worked construction on the metal stairs that go up the falls).

If the weather is nice, there's lots to see. Nothing real "exciting" per say, but enjoyable and maybe relaxing.

montrose
04-27-2010, 08:36 AM
The Broncos have a mini-camp at Dove Valley on Friday - stalk some McD baby!

Hercules Rockefeller
04-27-2010, 08:36 AM
Climb the Incline

Meck77
04-27-2010, 08:41 AM
http://www.10best.com/Denver,CO/

www.yelp.com (for dining/night life)

http://www.denver.org/what-to-do (City site)

If you stay downtown rent a couple bikes. Paths all the way to the Stadium, along cherry creek etc.

USAFBronco
04-27-2010, 10:02 AM

O RLY?! Not just stalk McD....but what about the Messiah...will he be there?! That'd be hot!

In all seriousness though, it would be amazing to meet Tim, I have a feeling he's a genuinly good guy.

Irish Stout
04-27-2010, 10:20 AM
I love drinking beer so breweries could definitly be added to my itenerary.

Check out Bristol Brewery and Phantom Canyon Brewery in the Springs, Rock Yard in Castle Rock, Great Divide and Wynkoop in Denver.... though if you are trying to impress your wife, might be better not to go to Great Divide, its still in a pretty shady area with a few homeless shelters around. I know that sounds terrible, but I wouldn't take my wife there if I was convincing her to move to Denver.

USAFBronco
04-29-2010, 04:16 PM

I was trying to find more details on this, but couldn't and the search feature wasn't being to freindly.

Does anybody have any information on mini camp? time? location?

Thank you :Broncos:

Meck77
04-29-2010, 07:53 PM
It's never been opened to the public. You might be able to get a few pics on a drive by or a couple pics thru the trees. ;D