PDA

View Full Version : Were the Decker And Thomas picks and indictment on Royal?

Kaylore
04-26-2010, 02:18 PM
Or was it a case BPA and we needed to replace Marshall. Not saying that Marshall leaving didn't create enough of a void on its own, but two Receivers in the first three rounds suggests it's a major point of emphasis, second only to offensive line.

NFLBRONCO
04-26-2010, 02:19 PM
Figure in Stokes he's getting older. It takes 2 yrs for young guys to get in gear why not know.

Shoemaker
04-26-2010, 02:21 PM
I don't think so.

McDaniels' offense uses three receivers as the base set, right?

Royal is well suited to play the slot, whereas Thomas and Decker fit the two outside positions much better.

If anything, I'd say Thomas and Decker were drafted to compliment Royal, and to allow him to move to the position he's best suited to.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Chris
04-26-2010, 02:22 PM
I think it was BPA. Decker was a luxury pick since we didn't land either Gerhart or Hardesty (we were very lucky to recover in this way though I worry about RB depth next year and goal line running). I think we were hoping to get Walton with our second pick in the third round unil that happened.

listopencil
04-26-2010, 02:23 PM
I'm thinking we keep six WR's, so no.

jhns
04-26-2010, 02:26 PM
I think it has more to do with Marshall being gone and us being thin at the position. Stokley is old and Gaffeny is getting old. I think we just had the kind of need there to warrant a first and third. That being said, he may have to play better to stay the starter if these guys are good.

Dr. Broncenstein
04-26-2010, 02:26 PM
Not in the least.

gyldenlove
04-26-2010, 02:28 PM
I don't think so, they don't seem like the same type, if anything Kenny Mckinley was an indictment of Royal since they are the same type of player.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a situation with Thomas and Decker/Gaffney on the outside and Royal/Mckinley in the slot at some point.

Rohirrim
04-26-2010, 02:29 PM
Not at all. Royal is now set up to play the slot, where he fits best. The Broncos have an excellent five receiver set for the spread offense.

Que
04-26-2010, 02:34 PM
Thomas was a BM replacement - had to go WR early on. Decker, I think was just BPA and that aside from Stoke and Gaffney, we didn't have much depth.

Any FA moves on the WR front and I think ya, it might be a sign of concern with Royal.

UberBroncoMan
04-26-2010, 02:35 PM
Not in the least.

This.

Royal is completely different from Decker and Thomas.

I really hope to see Royal take on a Wes Welker roll on our team finally with Thomas taking the Randy Moss (stretch the field) roll and Decker eventually being our possession receiver in the roll that Jabar Gaffney had in New England.

I think Thomas is more of Moss addition than he is a Marshal replacement. McDaniels wanted a tall and fast individual to stretch the field. Marshall obliterates Thomas (best in the NFL imo) when it comes to breaking tackles, but speed wise Thomas is superior.

Dos Rios
04-26-2010, 02:53 PM
Agreed it's more about Marshall and Gaffney than Royal.

It's also about the loss of Scheffler and the changing roles of tight ends versus wide receivers in this offense. Both drafted wrs are big, can block and can catch in traffic. Allows more 3 wide receiver sets even on running downs. Percentage of targets to wide receivers going up; percentage to tight ends going down.

BlaK-Argentina
04-26-2010, 02:54 PM
Who is this Kaylore dude and why is he asking such a dumb question??

Kaylore
04-26-2010, 02:55 PM

:rofl: I'm bored.

gyldenlove
04-26-2010, 02:57 PM

The real answer to this question would not only get you banned, several religious groups in the middle east would declare a fatwa on you, and it could very possibly cause the San Andreas Fault to shift dramatically, fortunately it can not be expressed in any language understandable by humans.

BlaK-Argentina
04-26-2010, 02:57 PM

Well you can always discuss Tebow, you know? I don't think there are enough threads about him.

PRBronco
04-26-2010, 02:58 PM
Nope, I think it's just getting ready for life after Stokely. I don't actually know anything about Lisfranc injuries other than Courtney Brown had one, so they scare me. I think Decker might be "redshirted" this season, so I think they can fit everyone in.

Popps
04-26-2010, 02:58 PM
I don't think so.

McDaniels really raved about Royal and I believe he meant it. I do think both of them (Royal/McD) struggled to make things work out as well as they would have liked in the new offense. But, I really believe McD wants to make a weapon out of the kid.

It seems to me that we want our WR corps to get bigger, and these two picks help accomplish that.

montrose
04-26-2010, 02:59 PM
I don't think so Kahn, keep in mind Josh split Scheffler out a lot - something I wouldn't expect him to do with Quinn. The Broncos now have a nice collection of receivers between Royal, Gaffney, Lloyd, Thomas, Decker, Stokley and McKinley. Good depth for a team that should use plenty of 4 and 5 WR packages and employes a 3 WR set as it's base offense.

Baba Booey
04-26-2010, 03:02 PM
Like everyone else has said - Royal will thrive in the slot. We needed two solid guys on the outside and now we (assumingly) have good depth out there with Bay Bay, Gaffney, Decker, and Lloyd.

Swedish Extrovert
04-26-2010, 03:02 PM
It was the exact opposite - he brought in big, smart, possession type route runners to compliment Royal's speed.

Royal's catches will go up as a result of having Decker and Thomas on the team.

TheReverend
04-26-2010, 03:04 PM
Marginally. Right now our 2 starting WRs project to be Gaffney and Royal.

In a system that runs a TON of 3 receiver sets and a lot of 4 receiver sets, that's not remotely good enough.

eddie mac
04-26-2010, 03:25 PM
You do not pass up the chance to pick up the Great Eddie Mac Mk2 for a 3rd round pick.

Please give him No87 Josh.

broncosteven
04-26-2010, 03:41 PM

It was a good question, I do the same when I am bored with all the other main board crap.

I think addressing the WR is a mix of BM leaving, Royal not being a physical WR, but really because Stokely disappeared in games and Gaffney is not a #1 WR, he is a Y guy who is great for Depth but can be erased from games like KFC finally did late last year.

I doubt Stokley and his mouth return so that makes maybe 2 starters from last year unless Lloyd finds a way to stick but he wasn't a starter.

Houshyamama
04-26-2010, 03:50 PM
I don't think so at all... we are really that thin at WR outside of Royal.

Gaffney and Stokely are both role players in my opinion... the 3rd/4th option in a passing attack. Royal needs help to be effective.

misturanderson
04-26-2010, 04:14 PM
It was the exact opposite - he brought in big, smart, possession type route runners to compliment Royal's speed.

Actually only Decker is a possession type receiver. Thomas had over 25 yards per catch last season and runs the 40 in the mid 4.3 to 4.4 range. In fact he only had 2 games all season that he averaged less than 19 yards per catch. Hardly a posession receiver. That dude is a deep threat that has the size and ability to make things happen after the catch.

Drek
04-26-2010, 04:15 PM
To me the entire drafting of those WRs centered around what McDaniels talked about earlier this off-season, finding a way to make better use of Royal.

Thomas is a blazing fast WR with great size and leaping ability. He is our new X WR out on the wing. This allows Royal to move into the slot where he's best suited, in a Wes Welker type role.

In McDaniels' offense the X WR having deep threat speed is absolutely critical. He stretches coverage and opens up everything underneath for the other two base WRs. In order to put Marshall in a good position to make plays we had to put Royal, the only WR with elite deep speed on our roster, at that position last year.

Now we have a better fit for that role, Thomas, and Royal gets to have the talent pool and WR hierarchy structured around him.

Decker was just a massive value pick who fits our other WR spot to a T, so basically a total perfect storm. He doesn't have elite deep speed but he's got great quickness and agility to go along with his ideal size. Couple that with great hands and a willingness to go over the ball and you see a perfect replacement for the intermediate target on the wing opposite Thomas, where Marshall was featured last year. Gaffney likely gets that job to start, but as Decker develops I think he'll quickly challenge and surpass Gaffney. Very possibly taking over by the end of the season if not sooner.

All in all we passed on a guy like Dez Bryant simply because we wanted to make better use of Royal, not replace him. Bryant would have been the best pick if we simply wanted to replace Marshall's production as close to 1:1 as possible, but we would have spent another season with Royal on the opposite wing wasting his talents running go routes. Instead we took a bit more of a gamble on Thomas and should as a result get to put Royal in an ideal position for him.