PDA

View Full Version : Solid tebow analysis from a gator alum

Soul-Bronco
04-25-2010, 05:02 PM
Found this on the DB message board, A gator alum talking about tebow. Very interesting !!! :thumbsup:

I'm not a big NFL fan or analyst, but I'm a diehard gator alum and fan that's watched every game of Tebow and followed closely to real-time practice reports. Here's the good and the bad of what you're getting:

First, many of you likely love this pick, while many hate it, but as crazy as it sounds right now, eventually you will all love Tim Tebow.

-Drive: The guy is more driven than any football player I've seen. He'll work as hard or harder than any player in the NFL, both in the locker room and on the field.

- Tebow, the person: He's so good it'll make you think he's fake, but he's not. You'll want your daughter to marry him and you'll want to meet him. In the offseason, he'll help the less fortunate, speak at prisons, spread his religion, and basically save the world. The problem is, the media will fall over over him and rivals will get sick of it and start resenting him for it, but it'll make you like him even more. In a world of Roethlisberger, Vick, and Lewis, Tebow is a breath of fresh air. I love what he does and stands for, and I'm not even religious. The NFL needs more Tebows.

- Leadership: I've never seen a college football player with better leadership skills in my lifetime. He's has the mentality of a crazed middle linebacker. I've seen him blow up a defensive huddle, knocking guys over and head butting defensive players in an effort to get them to force a defensive stoppage....which they did. The guy will force others to lift more, run more, work harder, study more film, and live right. It's an obsession and the entire team will be better focused and more prepared because of it. Hell, I'd run through a brick wall if the guy asked me too.

- Mechanics: As a gator fan, I've heard this to exhaustion. And yes, they're right, but it didn't matter much in college. He doesn't hold the ball near his ear, his wind up is so low that the ball drops to his knee and takes forever to arrive. The strange thing is, I've seen video of tebow in college camps (pre college) throwing the ball the proper way, which is exactly the same as the new changes he's made (Tebow 2.0), but I have no idea if he'll revert back in times of trouble when he's playing.

- Interceptions: The guy hates to get picked, to the point of he'll take the sack or run when he should otherwise throw it. It's almost as if he's timid, however that's the style of our coaching staff so I'm not sure if it's him or our coaches forcing this on him. Either way, he always lives to fight another day, sometimes when you wish he wouldn't and you're tired of punting.

- Wildcat formation: Understand that Tebow is very different from traditional QBs. He's not Matt Stafford or Mike Vick. Change your way of thinking. He's a one-of-a-kind fullback/qb/middle lb. If he's used properly, he'll wreck havoc on the NFL. If he's forced to learn and play within say, a west coast offense, he'll struggle. The first year at UF, he was used exclusively in the wildcat, a series here or there, and then 3rd or 4th and short, relieving our traditional pocket passer (Chris Leak). This was highly successful. The entire D would move up and he'd still convert the 4th down destroying the opponent emotionally. And at times, he'd surprise everyone throwing a surprisingly accurate bomb for an easy TD. He'd slither around some, run over others, and then hype the crowd like a gladiator, as everyone blew their mind in excitement on our way to a national championship. Without Tebow, we'd never have won it. He was the heart, sole, and the short conversions. His Sophomore season, he became our full time QB, and became our entire offense running away with the heisman. Our offense, which was basically a more complicated wildcat, was run very well by Tebow. The fans hated the playcalling, but loved what Tebow did with it. And yes, I truly believe he can run this offense in the NFL. He'll run it as well as Ronnie Brown of the Dolphins, but he'll throw it far better.

- Reading a defense: This is one of his weaknesses. On many occasions, he'll miss the wide open guy because he takes a while to go though his progressions. For whatever reason, we run a lot of 5 wide, and it typically ends up in a 7 yard sack. With protection, he'll read about 2 guys and then run, granted we have 3 other guys running around open. And when he reads it properly, he's late on a lot of occasions, thus the ball it thrown when it should arrive.

-Accuracy: Casual followers think he's inaccurate due to lack of spirals, however that's completely not true. He's deadly accurate. He's either on the money or he errs to apart of the field where the defender can't get it.

- Arm strength: This one is strange, he can lift more than any QB in NFL history, however he doesn't throw frozen ropes. Could be throwing motion, elasticity, lack of spiral, I don't know. Either way, his throws are very accurate, rarely picked off, but the ball a little too much loft and is rarely a perfect spiral. It's atypical, but it works extremely well. In fact, he had the highest all time qb rating in college football history, yes history. The myth of "Tebow can't throw" is just that, a myth. All the casual fans see him running over people in the highlight reels and then read his stats of 187 passing yards, 2 td, 0 ints, 111 yards rushing and 2 more TD, just makes everyone assume he can't throw. The reality is, he's arm is outstanding.

Overall, the guy broke every major SEC record, won 2 championships, won 2 maxwells, won a heismans, won 2 espys, AP player of the year, and finished with the highest QB rating of all time in college football. He has weaknesses and strengths that are both very atypical making him hard to evaluate on the pro level. If McDanials uses him properly (Like Minnesota did with Harvin), you've got a great one. If not, and he tries to force him into a pocket passer, you'll have a below average nfl qb, but still a great leader. Either way, you'll love him.

I hope this helps.

Good luck and go orange and blue!!!

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=166218

Paladin
04-25-2010, 05:15 PM
Good piece. I understand a bit more.....

bpc
04-25-2010, 05:17 PM
Great write up and it totally makes sense. If McDaniels is the QB guru he was supposed to be, he could be the one to boost his passing acumen and assist in him reading defenses faster.

If we could pair that up with the other highlights this guy spoke of, he's going to be tough to stop as he can take to the air or run on the ground. I already liked the pick, this makes me feel even better about it.

Broncoman13
04-25-2010, 05:23 PM
Pretty much what I see as well. Love the fiery, in your face, lift your teammates up facet of Tim Tebow. I can really relate to the fact that he is so good (character wise) you think it's fake.

As for how we'll use him, I think McD will have some packages in that will allow him to see the field this year, very similar to how Urb used him as a Freshman. I said before the draft and I still believe that Tim Tebow was the best short yardage "back" in the draft. He can convert first downs. Three per game. That is all we need to raise our conversion pct. to an elite level in the NFL. We go from 7 of 16 to 10 of 16 and we are in the money. Longer drives, more scoring opportunities, and the defense isn't on the field to get beat.

I also believe that McD will work with him tirelessly to become a more traditional QB... a throwing QB. McD isn't going to change what he knows and that is throwing the football. Tim Tebow throws a very accurate deep ball. His arm strength is more than adequate and the deficiencies he does have can all be overcome through repetition and film study. Does anybody doubt he'll work hard enough to overcome his weaknesses. I have no doubt in my mind.

toad
04-25-2010, 05:29 PM
I like the Tebow pick and think he'll be a solid starter by the 2012 season (assuming he sits this year, sans Wild Horses and gimmick plays, and takes over "some time" in 2011).

I don't think his mechanics are any worse than Philip Rivers', Vick's, or Vince Young's -- all of which were higher picks than him and have had NFL success. Not to mention your Steve Youngs or Bernie Kosars.

I don't think his arm strength is any worse than Philip Rivers, who's among the 5 best QBs in the NFL.

He actually reminds me a LOT of Rivers....knocks on mechanics and arm strength, but is a natural winner/leader and is the hardest worker on the field.

Having said that, I'M GLAD WE GOT HIM (even at #25).

gunns
04-25-2010, 05:32 PM
he tries to force him into a pocket passer, you'll have a below average nfl qb, but still a great leader. Either way, you'll love him.

No, do not want an exclusive pocket passer, below average QB. We have that with Orton.

lostknight
04-25-2010, 05:35 PM
One thing that needs to be said, is that Tebow is going to have to do some serious work to be careful not to divide the locker room. Cutler did, and the team never recovered.

snowspot66
04-25-2010, 05:37 PM
No, do not want an exclusive pocket passer, below average QB. We have that with Orton.

I'd be fine with a more athletic and more accurate Jake Plummer but with a crazy work ethic in regards to football.

Paladin
04-25-2010, 05:46 PM

Jezus, lady. Lighten up. It is a game after all.....

Williams
04-25-2010, 06:44 PM
Great read, thanks for sharing Soul-Bronco. I'm so glad we picked this guy. Bronco fans are in for a treat.

Bronco Boy
04-25-2010, 07:41 PM
My only question is who's Lewis?

SoDak Bronco
04-25-2010, 07:56 PM
i am warming to the tebow pick...like a nice marinade its slow creeping in.

Chris
04-25-2010, 07:58 PM

Jamal coke dealer Lewis

Bronco Boy
04-25-2010, 08:00 PM
Jamal coke dealer Lewis

Oh I thought maybe it was Ray blacked out and stabbed someone Lewis

Circle Orange
04-25-2010, 08:08 PM
Found this on the DB message board, A gator alum talking about tebow. Very interesting !!! :thumbsup:

I'm not a big NFL fan or analyst, but I'm a diehard gator alum and fan that's watched every game of Tebow and followed closely to real-time practice reports. Here's the good and the bad of what you're getting:

First, many of you likely love this pick, while many hate it, but as crazy as it sounds right now, eventually you will all love Tim Tebow.

-Drive: The guy is more driven than any football player I've seen. He'll work as hard or harder than any player in the NFL, both in the locker room and on the field.

- Tebow, the person: He's so good it'll make you think he's fake, but he's not. You'll want your daughter to marry him and you'll want to meet him. In the offseason, he'll help the less fortunate, speak at prisons, spread his religion, and basically save the world. The problem is, the media will fall over over him and rivals will get sick of it and start resenting him for it, but it'll make you like him even more. In a world of Roethlisberger, Vick, and Lewis, Tebow is a breath of fresh air. I love what he does and stands for, and I'm not even religious. The NFL needs more Tebows.

- Leadership: I've never seen a college football player with better leadership skills in my lifetime. He's has the mentality of a crazed middle linebacker. I've seen him blow up a defensive huddle, knocking guys over and head butting defensive players in an effort to get them to force a defensive stoppage....which they did. The guy will force others to lift more, run more, work harder, study more film, and live right. It's an obsession and the entire team will be better focused and more prepared because of it. Hell, I'd run through a brick wall if the guy asked me too.

- Mechanics: As a gator fan, I've heard this to exhaustion. And yes, they're right, but it didn't matter much in college. He doesn't hold the ball near his ear, his wind up is so low that the ball drops to his knee and takes forever to arrive. The strange thing is, I've seen video of tebow in college camps (pre college) throwing the ball the proper way, which is exactly the same as the new changes he's made (Tebow 2.0), but I have no idea if he'll revert back in times of trouble when he's playing.

- Interceptions: The guy hates to get picked, to the point of he'll take the sack or run when he should otherwise throw it. It's almost as if he's timid, however that's the style of our coaching staff so I'm not sure if it's him or our coaches forcing this on him. Either way, he always lives to fight another day, sometimes when you wish he wouldn't and you're tired of punting.

- Wildcat formation: Understand that Tebow is very different from traditional QBs. He's not Matt Stafford or Mike Vick. Change your way of thinking. He's a one-of-a-kind fullback/qb/middle lb. If he's used properly, he'll wreck havoc on the NFL. If he's forced to learn and play within say, a west coast offense, he'll struggle. The first year at UF, he was used exclusively in the wildcat, a series here or there, and then 3rd or 4th and short, relieving our traditional pocket passer (Chris Leak). This was highly successful. The entire D would move up and he'd still convert the 4th down destroying the opponent emotionally. And at times, he'd surprise everyone throwing a surprisingly accurate bomb for an easy TD. He'd slither around some, run over others, and then hype the crowd like a gladiator, as everyone blew their mind in excitement on our way to a national championship. Without Tebow, we'd never have won it. He was the heart, sole, and the short conversions. His Sophomore season, he became our full time QB, and became our entire offense running away with the heisman. Our offense, which was basically a more complicated wildcat, was run very well by Tebow. The fans hated the playcalling, but loved what Tebow did with it. And yes, I truly believe he can run this offense in the NFL. He'll run it as well as Ronnie Brown of the Dolphins, but he'll throw it far better.

- Reading a defense: This is one of his weaknesses. On many occasions, he'll miss the wide open guy because he takes a while to go though his progressions. For whatever reason, we run a lot of 5 wide, and it typically ends up in a 7 yard sack. With protection, he'll read about 2 guys and then run, granted we have 3 other guys running around open. And when he reads it properly, he's late on a lot of occasions, thus the ball it thrown when it should arrive.

-Accuracy: Casual followers think he's inaccurate due to lack of spirals, however that's completely not true. He's deadly accurate. He's either on the money or he errs to apart of the field where the defender can't get it.

- Arm strength: This one is strange, he can lift more than any QB in NFL history, however he doesn't throw frozen ropes. Could be throwing motion, elasticity, lack of spiral, I don't know. Either way, his throws are very accurate, rarely picked off, but the ball a little too much loft and is rarely a perfect spiral. It's atypical, but it works extremely well. In fact, he had the highest all time qb rating in college football history, yes history. The myth of "Tebow can't throw" is just that, a myth. All the casual fans see him running over people in the highlight reels and then read his stats of 187 passing yards, 2 td, 0 ints, 111 yards rushing and 2 more TD, just makes everyone assume he can't throw. The reality is, he's arm is outstanding.

Overall, the guy broke every major SEC record, won 2 championships, won 2 maxwells, won a heismans, won 2 espys, AP player of the year, and finished with the highest QB rating of all time in college football. He has weaknesses and strengths that are both very atypical making him hard to evaluate on the pro level. If McDanials uses him properly (Like Minnesota did with Harvin), you've got a great one. If not, and he tries to force him into a pocket passer, you'll have a below average nfl qb, but still a great leader. Either way, you'll love him.

I hope this helps.

Good luck and go orange and blue!!!

Tim's brother still posting like crazy on the web! !Booya!

Mr.Meanie
04-25-2010, 08:13 PM

Ray Lewis maybe? Good question

Fantastic read, btw. Thanks for posting

SportinOne
04-25-2010, 08:14 PM
One thing that needs to be said, is that Tebow is going to have to do some serious work to be careful not to divide the locker room. Cutler did, and the team never recovered.

hmmmmm

i don't think that actually happened. in the offseason, he had a rift with management. but his problem was never with his teammates. at least not to my knowledge. i guess it's easy to lump all sorts of flaws on someone when they are gone, though. while we are at it, i'm sure we can all agree he was probably Rothlesburger-West.. how else do you get laid with that haircut?

SportinOne
04-25-2010, 08:16 PM
i am warming to the tebow pick...like a nice marinade its slow creeping in.

it's called rationalization. although in this situation what are we to do? it's the same dilemma that many of us who were opposed to McDaniels and Orton after the Cutler fiasco. You never really wanted this from the beginning but it's not as if you can root against them, now. Hope for the best.

2KBack
04-25-2010, 08:22 PM
hmmmmm

i don't think that actually happened. in the offseason, he had a rift with management. but his problem was never with his teammates. at least not to my knowledge. i guess it's easy to lump all sorts of flaws on someone when they are gone, though. while we are at it, i'm sure we can all agree he was probably Rothlesburger-West.. how else do you get laid with that haircut?

he was probably talking about 2006, which really wasn't Cutler's fault. The Plummer benching was rumored to have split the locker room, but that's a coaches decision.

Taco John
04-25-2010, 08:23 PM
I didn't like the Tebow pick, but I like Tebow the person. I'm skeptical if Tebow can be a starting quarterback in this league, but I'm going to be rooting him on regardless because quite frankly, it's going to be fun to do so. What I do know is that whatever the odds, the guy is going to fight for every inch, and that's something that I can get behind. It's not the draft pick I would have wished for, but it's the draft pick we got and he's all Bronco now. My son will be wearing a 15, and I'll be proud for him to have such a fine young man to root for. Whatever happens, this is going to be a hell of a ride, and I've got my seatbelt strapped and will keep my arms and legs inside the ride at all times.

gunns
04-25-2010, 08:27 PM
Jezus, lady. Lighten up. It is a game after all.....

Lighten up? I was paying a compliment to Tebow. I do know that he isn't a stick in the mud like Orton and I suspect McD will let Tebow have the freedom he needs to complete the play. Besides that, my response makes you say it's a game after all? Seems to me you are a little stressed after the weekend....stick removal required?

DB-Freak
04-25-2010, 11:40 PM
Reading a defense: This is one of his weaknesses. On many occasions, he'll miss the wide open guy because he takes a while to go though his progressions. For whatever reason, we run a lot of 5 wide, and it typically ends up in a 7 yard sack. With protection, he'll read about 2 guys and then run, granted we have 3 other guys running around open. And when he reads it properly, he's late on a lot of occasions, thus the ball it thrown when it should arrive.

That's actually terrible news.

SoCalBronco
04-25-2010, 11:41 PM
My old buddy, DB-Freak. How's it going, man?

Mogulseeker
04-25-2010, 11:44 PM
I just googled "Great quarterbacks with poor mechanics" and the second result was an analysis on Tim Tebow.

DB-Freak
04-25-2010, 11:47 PM
My old buddy, DB-Freak. How's it going, man?

Doing good.

In Illinois, going to grad school for my job.

I just had to post about this mind boggling pick.

Actually I want to know how you feel about the pick.

FireFly
04-26-2010, 12:30 AM
I know it's the offseason and lots can change but I'm seriously falling in love with this pick

epicSocialism4tw
12-19-2010, 11:15 AM
bump for tebow mojo

broncocalijohn
12-19-2010, 11:57 AM
Good bump as I didnt see it the first time around. I wonder if this game is being shown live in Gator country but I believe they made out the schedule for TV before he was slated to start (plus Jags play morning game so I think I answered my own question). I would figure the sports bars are going to be packed big time today!

Mogulseeker
12-19-2010, 01:11 PM
Nice bump