PDA

View Full Version : Quick, name a former Florida NFL QB who was a success

Pontius Pirate
04-25-2010, 12:46 PM
Exactly.

Houshyamama
04-25-2010, 12:49 PM
You killed Jesus, what do you know about making good decisions?

Mogulseeker
04-25-2010, 12:51 PM
Lol

peacepipe
04-25-2010, 12:51 PM
or one that urban meyer coached for that matter.

theAPAOps5
04-25-2010, 12:53 PM
Oh well since you put it that way......

Stupidest thread ever.

yerner
04-25-2010, 12:54 PM
How dare you.

TheReverend
04-25-2010, 12:56 PM
Irrelevant/10

Pontius Pirate
04-25-2010, 01:00 PM
I'll help yall out. Here is the list of former Florida QB's who made it to the NFl and how they did:

Kerwin Bell - career backup
Rex Grossman - career 70 rating passer. Probably the most "successful" of the whole group
Bob Hewko - played 2 NFL games
Doug Johnson - career backup
Eric Kresser - career backup
Shane Matthews - career backup
Jesse Palmer - ha
John Reaves - played 11 seasons then went to the USFL.
Kay Stephenson - unremarkable NFL career
Danny Wuerffel - MVP of the Rhein Fire, then opened his own ministry.
Steve Spurrier - unremarkable NFL QB career, and overall douchebag

theAPAOps5
04-25-2010, 01:06 PM
Oh well since you say that well......

still stupidest thread ever.... :)

Inkana7
04-25-2010, 01:08 PM
I don't think there are any schools that have produced more than 1 all-pro QB, so...you're..dumb.

Boss Man
04-25-2010, 01:09 PM
how about this....

how many good qbs out of pitt? 1...Dan marino

stanford? 1...john elway

BYU? 1...steve young

Tennessee? 1...peyton manning

the point is...a school does not have to have a history of producing a position to produce in the nfl, not just the qb position...all it takes is one.

your logic is pathetic and stupid. and not to mention, this is urban meyers first quarterback that he has coached up to leave the university of florida, schools change schemes and coaches all the time so for you to say that...because he is from UF he will be garbage is just ***in ignorant.

so annoying reading all this bull**** from the ***in haters.

since you are all ***ing geniuses why dont you have jobs in the nfl? shut the *** up already

Kaylore
04-25-2010, 01:10 PM
Fallacy city! Other men's failures and successes don't have any bearing on Tebow. Just because a guy comes from Tennessee, that doesn't mean he's going to be Peyton Manning.

theAPAOps5
04-25-2010, 01:11 PM
Fallacy city! Other men's failures and successes don't have any bearing on Tebow. Just because a guy comes from Tennessee, that doesn't mean he's going to be Peyton Manning.

Or marry his sister...... just sayin

Houshyamama
04-25-2010, 01:18 PM
Or merry his sister...... just sayin

marry

theAPAOps5
04-25-2010, 01:20 PM
marry

not in Tennessee........ :)

good catch!

UberBroncoMan
04-25-2010, 01:23 PM
I hear Rex Grossman played in one of them there Super Bowls.

bpc
04-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Quick, name a Florida QB who's won two national championships?

There's probably only one, which makes this discussion mute and no reason to compare.

Thanks for playing, drive home safely.

peacepipe
04-25-2010, 01:29 PM
My belief in Tebow being a likely bust has to do with his skill set or lack of. Which isn't helped by the fact that Tebow isn't going to be Urban Meyers 1st QB to come out of his system to be a bust in the NFL.

barryr
04-25-2010, 01:30 PM
How many great QB's from Vanderbilt? Of that came from Oklahoma the last decade?

Pontius Pirate
04-25-2010, 01:31 PM
Oh, my bad, the fact that UF has churned out a lot of NFL QB's who have all been mediocre at best is NOT a valid point of concern. Noted.

theAPAOps5
04-25-2010, 01:33 PM
Ooops Barryr beat me to the punch!

What about Vanderbilt? They have zero too.

Taking notes?

uplink
04-25-2010, 01:34 PM
So by the odds the Gators and Meyer are due, great for the Broncos!

Pontius Pirate
04-25-2010, 01:36 PM
Ooops Barryr beat me to the punch!

Taking notes?

So Vandy is a college football annual powerhouse?

theAPAOps5
04-25-2010, 01:37 PM
Oh well since you put it that way.......

Still stupidest thread ever.

barryr
So Vandy is a college football annual powerhouse?

What about Stoops at Oklahoma? How many great NFL QB's have come from there since he's been the coach? ZERO! Seems to not have mattered to the Rams.

sixtimeseight
sweet ****ing thread bro

azbroncfan
how about this....

stanford? 1...john elway

BYU? 1...steve young

the point is...a school does not have to have a history of producing a position to produce in the nfl, not just the qb position...all it takes is one.

your logic is pathetic and stupid. and not to mention, this is urban meyers first quarterback that he has coached up to leave the university of florida, schools change schemes and coaches all the time so for you to say that...because he is from UF he will be garbage is just ***in ignorant.

since you are all ***ing geniuses why dont you have jobs in the nfl? shut the *** up already

I agree that it is more the player than the school but BYU produced 2 good QB's in McMahon and you have to add Stabler to Stanford.

meangene
04-25-2010, 01:39 PM
Florida receivers were pretty much busts too until Harvin an Murphy came along last year.

barryr
04-25-2010, 01:40 PM
I agree that it is more the player than the school but BYU produced 2 good QB's in McMahon and you have to add Stabler to Stanford.

Stabler went to Alabama. Plunkett went to Stanford though.

UberBroncoMan
04-25-2010, 01:41 PM
Florida receivers were pretty much busts too until Harvin an Murphy came along last year.

Jabar Gaffney isn't horrible by any means.

Pontius Pirate
how about this....

stanford? 1...john elway

BYU? 1...steve young

Congrats! You correctly identified a successful QB out of schools that are both smaller and equally large as Florida, who has yet to churn out a good QB, despite churning out NFL talent in bunches each year.

UberBroncoMan

McMahon had the 85 bears defense. That's like saying Trent Dilfer was amazing.

azbroncfan
04-25-2010, 01:42 PM

That is what I meant Plunkett, was thinking superbowl QB for Raiders.

azbroncfan
04-25-2010, 01:43 PM
McMahon had the 85 bears defense. That's like saying Trent Dilfer was amazing.

Never said they were amazing but how many superbowls did both those teams win without them? Bottomline if you win a Superbowl you were a successful QB like the thread title. It didn't say AMAZING QB. Both were successful QB's that won a lot of games.

meangene
04-25-2010, 01:47 PM
Jabar Gaffney isn't horrible by any means.

I was thinking in more recent years but that is definitely true!

barryr
04-25-2010, 01:48 PM
Well, Dilfer won a Super Bowl and went to Fresno St. while Carr was a high draft choice from that same school who did what exactly? Sorry, but pointing out a guy's college to figure out if he'll have success or not in the NFL is just plain dumb and no NFL scout who is in the business for any length of time at least, even worries about that nonsense.

But if have that way of thinking, then should be happy the Broncos have Thomas at WR considering Charles Johnson also went to Georgia Tech, so that means Thomas will be great too. This really makes sense to people?

HEAV
04-25-2010, 01:56 PM

Werd!

Just like michigan quarterbacks where looked down apon (Before Brady).

On a side note remember when Florida receivers where crap in the NFL... then Percy Harvin comes along.

Pontius Pirate
04-25-2010, 02:03 PM
Guys, I wasn't suggesting that Tebow won't be equally as amazing and electric as those other UF NFL QB's. In fact, I think he'll be just as good as Danny Wuerffel. In fact, I think he might even be as good as Rex Grossman!

snowspot66
04-25-2010, 02:09 PM
Congrats! You correctly identified a successful QB out of schools that are both smaller and equally large as Florida, who has yet to churn out a good QB, despite churning out NFL talent in bunches each year.

A large football school turns out lots of NFL talent every year. Surprise surprise!

So what if they haven't turned out a great QB yet. How many great QB's are there in the league at any given time?

I'll tell you right now that there are exactly two franchise quality future HoF QB's in the league right now (not counting Favre's old ass). Brady and Manning. There are another ten, give or take a few, solid to very good QB's in the league. That's all. And I'd bet they are all from different schools and each is probably one of the best (as in top 2 or 3) if not the best QB the school has ever produced. It goes down hill pretty ****ing fast.

There is one QB for any team. There are multiple spots for every other position but just one for the QB. When you consider the retardedly high bust rate for QB's it makes it a pretty damned big deal if even one QB does well. But you expect Florida to put out a good QB every few years? What a ridiculous argument.

theAPAOps5
04-25-2010, 02:09 PM
Guys, I wasn't suggesting that Tebow won't be equally as amazing and electric as those other UF NFL QB's. In fact, I think he'll be just as good as Danny Wuerffel. In fact, I think he might even be as good as Rex Grossman!

Oh well since you put it that way........

Still the stupidest thread ever.

Tombstone RJ
04-25-2010, 02:14 PM
I'll help yall out. Here is the list of former Florida QB's who made it to the NFl and how they did:

Rex Grossman - career 70 rating passer. Probably the most "successful" of the whole group
Jesse Palmer - ha

Dude, your bumming me out.

Rocket 7
04-25-2010, 02:15 PM
Worst thread ever

Bronco CB40
04-25-2010, 02:17 PM

Taking notes?

Even if you don't consider Cutler good, Vanderbilt produced two-time Pro Bowl QB Billy Wade.

Archer81
04-25-2010, 02:18 PM
Is this the same argument that you never draft defensive linemen from Texas?

At any rate...this thread topic gets a 5 out of 10 on my raging douche meter.

:Broncos:

SureShot
04-25-2010, 02:21 PM
Would not recommend this thread in the future.

sixtimeseight
04-25-2010, 02:25 PM
Why do these ****ing morons make a new thread for every idiotic thought that pops in their head? Nobody ****ing cares, just go the **** away.

Bronco CB40
04-25-2010, 02:28 PM

You guys are all idiots.

Stanford has more than just Elway and Plunkett.

Ever heard of John Brodie? The 1970 NFL MVP.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/1971/0920_large.jpg

theAPAOps5
04-25-2010, 02:30 PM
Oh look Pontius's boyfriend is rushing to his aid!

bpc
My belief in Tebow being a likely bust has to do with his skill set or lack of. Which isn't helped by the fact that Tebow isn't going to be Urban Meyers 1st QB to come out of his system to be a bust in the NFL.

It has more to do with you basically hating everything he's about as a person.

To be honest, this is a source of great enjoyment for me. ha ha. :strong:

WABronco
They see me trollin'...

Tombstone RJ
04-25-2010, 02:32 PM

LOL that's just gross man!

WABronco
04-25-2010, 02:33 PM
Must be something in the water down there.

Bronco CB40
04-25-2010, 02:35 PM
Oh look Pontius's boyfriend is rushing to his aid!

Who is that?

Rocket 7
04-25-2010, 02:36 PM
Name one good player drafted from Kutztown besides Andre Reed?

SonOfLe-loLang
04-25-2010, 02:36 PM
Name one good player drafted from Kutztown besides Andre Reed?

John Mobley!

Bronco CB40
04-25-2010, 02:38 PM

Have you ever heard of Wes Chandler and Cris Collingsworth?

WABronco
04-25-2010, 02:42 PM
Or Darrell Jackson......

barryr
04-25-2010, 02:55 PM
Didn't Shannon Sharpe come from that powerhouse Savannah St.?

snowspot66
04-25-2010, 02:56 PM

Jesse Palmer - ha

Kerwin Bell - 1988 7th round pick

Rex Grossman - 2003 22nd pick of first round

Bob Hewko - 1983 undrafted

Dough Johnson - so well regarded I can't even find mention of when he was drafted

Eric Kresser - 1997 undrafted

Shane Matthews - 1993 undrafted

Jesse Palmer - 2001 4th round pick

John Reaves - 1972 14th pick of the first round

Kay Stephenson - can't even find his draft position, usually means undrafted

Danny Wuerffel - 1997 4th round

Steve Spurrier - 1967 1st round

Congratulations. Your example of Florida QB's who couldn't make it in the NFL consists of multiple 4th round and undrafted QBs and a few first round choices decades apart from each other and having no other correlation other than the fact that they played for Florida.

I will now wait for you to post a school similar to Florida that has a consistent string of Pro Bowl and Hall of Fame quality QB's to it's name (with minimal failures) to prove your point isn't a complete pile of horse ****.

Pontius Pirate
04-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Kerwin Bell - 1988 7th round pick

Rex Grossman - 2003 22nd pick of first round

Bob Hewko - 1983 undrafted

Dough Johnson - so well regarded I can't even find mention of when he was drafted

Eric Kresser - 1997 undrafted

Shane Matthews - 1993 undrafted

Jesse Palmer - 2001 4th round pick

John Reaves - 1972 14th pick of the first round

Kay Stephenson - can't even find his draft position, usually means undrafted

Danny Wuerffel - 1997 4th round

Steve Spurrier - 1967 1st round

Congratulations. Your example of Florida QB's who couldn't make it in the NFL consists of multiple 4th round and undrafted QBs and a few first round choices decades apart from each other and having no other correlation other than the fact that they played for Florida.

I will now wait for you to post a school similar to Florida that has a consistent string of Pro Bowl and Hall of Fame quality QB's to it's name (with minimal failures) to prove your point isn't a complete pile of horse ****.

Thanks! I didn't even think of pointing out that the list of mediocre UF NFL QB's cuts across all draft rounds and even decades! No matter what decade you select a UF QB or even what round, you're guaranteed mediocrity! Great point snowspot. Indeed.

Crushisback
04-25-2010, 03:07 PM
I'm having trouble finding a player of any position that finished top 5 in Heisman voting for three consecutive years. If there is one I'm sure he was drafted well higher than 25th overall.

I have no problem however finding idiots that create pointless threads on the Orangemane.

extralife
04-25-2010, 03:07 PM
Man, if I were Chris Leak I'd be pretty damn pissed off that everyone gives Tebow credit for the first championship.

Ratboy
04-25-2010, 03:09 PM
This thread is win!

Crushisback
04-25-2010, 03:16 PM
Thanks! I didn't even think of pointing out that the list of mediocre UF NFL QB's cuts across all draft rounds and even decades! No matter what decade you select a UF QB or even what round, you're guaranteed mediocrity! Great point snowspot. Indeed.

So you are saying you would not have taken Tebow in round 7?

azbroncfan
04-25-2010, 03:22 PM
You guys are all idiots.

Stanford has more than just Elway and Plunkett.

Ever heard of John Brodie? The 1970 NFL MVP.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/1971/0920_large.jpg

So I am an idiot for not knowing a QB that was an MVP 9 years before I was born? What makes you such a bad ass on a high horse?

Bronco CB40
04-25-2010, 03:30 PM
So I am an idiot for not knowing a QB that was an MVP 9 years before I was born? What makes you such a bad ass on a high horse?

Don't write garbage you can't back up then. It's as simple as that.

snowspot66
04-25-2010, 03:32 PM

Nice deflection.

Name one school that has not only consistently done better in NFL results but also produced more QB's even capable of making an NFL squad regardless of draft position.

You can't. Because there is no such thing as a good or bad QB school.

sixtimeseight
04-25-2010, 03:33 PM
But writing garbage that he can't back up is pretty much all he can do.

azbroncfan
04-25-2010, 03:37 PM
But writing garbage that he can't back up is pretty much all he can do.

Kind of like your Nuggets ABA title or your 2000 dollar wagering ticket that shows you can't do basic math. I love how you have kept your nose out of the NBA thread after running your mouth after game one. Your one spineless POS chicken SH!T.

Don't write garbage you can't back up then. It's as simple as that.

So pointing out that Stanford has had more good QB's than Elway is garbage? Keep riding your high horse cool guy.

sixtimeseight
04-25-2010, 03:46 PM
<table id="post2823660" class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr title="Post 2823660"><td class="thead" style="font-weight: normal;" id="currentPost">http://www.orangemane.com/BB/images/statusicon/post_old.gif 04-25-2010, 01:37 PM </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt2"> Remove user from ignore list (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/profile.php?userlist=ignore&do=removelist&u=1475)
azbroncfan (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/member.php?u=1475) </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt1"> This message is hidden because azbroncfan is on your ignore list (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/profile.php?do=ignorelist).
</td></tr></tbody></table>
http://catmacros.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/cool_story_brah_cat.jpg

Pontius Pirate
04-25-2010, 03:47 PM
Nice deflection.

Name one school that has not only consistently done better in NFL results but also produced more QB's even capable of making an NFL squad regardless of draft position.

You can't. Because there is no such thing as a good or bad QB school.

I'm playing a little Battlefield Bad Company 2 right now so I don't really have the time to really think about your slippery slope of a question, but I think you'll find a lot of interesting answers here:

http://nfldraft.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=539624

Michigan is called "Quarterback U" according to this writer. University of Miami used to hold that title but Brock Berlin and Ken Dorsey kinda bucked that trend.

Know what college is NOT called Quarterback U? You guessed it: Florida. Home to mediocre NFL QB talent.

Bronco CB40
04-25-2010, 03:54 PM
So pointing out that Stanford has had more good QB's than Elway is garbage? Keep riding your high horse cool guy.

You originally said "The Snake" went to Stanford when he was a decorated star in Tuscaloosa, Alabama and a current game analyst on the Crimson Tide radio network.

barryr
04-25-2010, 04:05 PM
I'm playing a little Battlefield Bad Company 2 right now so I don't really have the time to really think about your slippery slope of a question, but I think you'll find a lot of interesting answers here:

Michigan is called "Quarterback U" according to this writer. University of Miami used to hold that title but Brock Berlin and Ken Dorsey kinda bucked that trend.

Know what college is NOT called Quarterback U? You guessed it: Florida. Home to mediocre NFL QB talent.

Yep, that clinched it. You have provided enough evidence just in this thread alone to show you're CLUELESS! You have to be in your teens to believe in such an amateurish way to decide if a player will be good or not. Depends on the college? Yikes.

azbroncfan
04-25-2010, 04:10 PM
You originally said "The Snake" went to Stanford when he was a decorated star in Tuscaloosa, Alabama and a current game analyst on the Crimson Tide radio network.

Yes I said Stabler but was thinking Plunket as I mentioned in another post. I confused one Raider QB for another so off with my head. I was thinking of the hispanic Stanford QB. Never said that there was only 2 QB's and that was it that were any good at Stanford just pointed out Elway wasn't the only one.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-25-2010, 04:11 PM

I dont even understand your point. First off, what Florida QBs did ten years ago is 100 percent irrelevant. If you need a basis for comparison, then you'd have to only go by Florida since Urban Meyer took over (since its a specific offense he runs). And since that only featured two QB's (and Chris Leak wasnt close to an NFL prospect), you don't have much of a point. Also, if you wanted to include Alex Smith (since Meyer coached him at Utah), one other quarterback (by the way, a starting one in the NFL) is hardly a sample size. So really, your point is moot since we are in a general uncharted territory here.

Pontius Pirate
04-25-2010, 04:13 PM
Yep, that clinched it. You have provided enough evidence just in this thread alone to show you're CLUELESS! You have to be in your teens to believe in such an amateurish way to decide if a player will be good or not. Depends on the college? Yikes.

Sounds good bro.

barryr
04-25-2010, 04:14 PM
Yes I said Stabler but was thinking Plunket as I mentioned in another post. I confused one Raider QB for another so off with my head. I was thinking of the hispanic Stanford QB. Never said that there was only 2 QB's and that was it that were any good at Stanford just pointed out Elway wasn't the only one.

Yep, I was going to defend that as well as just getting a couple QB's mixed up for a second. Much easier to defend that than claiming a QB or any player won't be good just because of the college he went to. Again, how dumb is that? So Bradford won't make it in the NFL simply because QB's from that college don't typically play well. Don't need scouts, just look at the schools. Yeah, that makes sense.;)

Circle Orange
04-25-2010, 04:25 PM
how about this....

stanford? 1...john elway

BYU? 1...steve young

Yeah, it's as nonsensical as people still clinging to the "Great Linebackers out of Penn State" trope.

Say what you will about Grossman, he was a lightning rod when he was on. And he outplayed the so called 'great' Cutler right here in denver with a late fourth qb drive. If Cutler had done that, we'd be hearing his praises for weeks.

And now Cutler is in Chicago...LOL:yayaya:

broncowill
04-25-2010, 04:28 PM
every qb is different so it doesnt matter which school they come from. nobody is a guranteed bust or hall of famer so i guess well just have to wait and see

Broncoman13
04-25-2010, 04:34 PM
Great argument. I'm sure that guys like Ladainian Tomlinson, Marshall Faulk, and Aaron Rodgers all agree with your takes. I mean, name another great RB from TCU in the last 30 years. How about San Diego St? I guess Rodgers was doomed b/c of Kyle Boller? Seriously, this is probably the weakest argument a person could make. There are so many examples out there that prove this wrong. RBs from Penn St for example. Curtis Enis would lead you to believe that a good RB well never come out of Penn St. And conversely, I guess b/c Troy Aikman was so good that Cade McNown was destined to be a star. Or b/c Carson Palmer's success meant that Matt Leinart would be 10x better? Seriously weak argument.

theAPAOps5
04-25-2010, 04:35 PM
Great argument. I'm sure that guys like Ladainian Tomlinson, Marshall Faulk, and Aaron Rodgers all agree with your takes. I mean, name another great RB from TCU in the last 30 years. How about San Diego St? I guess Rodgers was doomed b/c of Kyle Boller? Seriously, this is probably the weakest argument a person could make. There are so many examples out there that prove this wrong. RBs from Penn St for example. Curtis Enis would lead you to believe that a good RB well never come out of Penn St. And conversely, I guess b/c Troy Aikman was so good that Cade McNown was destined to be a star. Or b/c Carson Palmer's success meant that Matt Leinart would be 10x better? Seriously weak argument.

No he started a thread and said exactly. its a fact don't argue with him!

snowspot66
04-25-2010, 04:57 PM

One writer says that so that's it eh?

They've got Brady. A sixth round pick turned miracle. Not a whole lot more. Unless you want to add SoB?

Or are there other countless stud QB's that I just completely missed leading the charge every Sunday?

Pontius Pirate
04-25-2010, 06:20 PM
I'm sure Tim Tebow will be amazing and will buck the trend of Florida turning out mediocre, career back-up QB's.

/snicker

BroncoBuff
04-25-2010, 06:25 PM
(Replying to Pontius Pirate): You killed Jesus, what do you know about making good decisions?

I nominate this for the fastest and funniest first post retort to a new thread ever.

Inkana7
04-25-2010, 06:46 PM
I'm sure Tim Tebow will be amazing and will buck the trend of Florida turning out mediocre, career back-up QB's.

/snicker

Point?

gunns
04-25-2010, 06:59 PM
What about Stoops at Oklahoma? How many great NFL QB's have come from there since he's been the coach? ZERO! Seems to not have mattered to the Rams.

While I agree about the QB's from which school, I have to say I'd rather be a mad Bronco fan for taking Tebow than a Rams fan with their team taking Bradford. They should have worked harder in the off season to get a QB, waited till next year to get one, and taken the BPA.

theAPAOps5
04-25-2010, 07:13 PM

/snicker

wow you sure are doing a great job defending your lame argument

/sarcasm

OBF1
04-25-2010, 07:16 PM
Exactly.

What is your point tea-bagger ???

Pontius Pirate
04-25-2010, 07:17 PM
wow you sure are doing a great job defending your lame argument

/sarcasm

What argument? That Florida has yet to produce a good NFL QB? Does it really need any defending? If it doesn't speak for itself already, here is a ferocious tiger that will symbolize the impenetrable defense of my "argument" you speak of

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8kXsPIEkJZI/RyifKsITY9I/AAAAAAAAALU/Z865QdgzBe4/s400/The-kitten-defend-oneself.jpg

maher_tyler
04-25-2010, 07:24 PM
After reading this thread...i'm pretty sure my IQ dropped a few points!!

Crushisback
04-25-2010, 08:18 PM

/snicker

There are about 50 good/fair counter points to your claims in this thread. Why do you insist on typing the same **** instead of defending your point with some counter points? Are you starting to relize that it is irrelevant that no "great" QB's have come from Florida? I know you're an idiot and all but give it a shot maybe you can come up with somthing intelligent to say.

Archer81
04-25-2010, 08:22 PM
There are about 50 good/fair counter points to your claims in this thread. Why do you insist on typing the same **** instead of defending your point with some counter points? Are you starting to relize that it is irrelevant that no "great" QB's have come from Florida? I know you're an idiot and all but give it a shot maybe you can come up with somthing intelligent to say.

The Mane.

Where common sense dies.

theAPAOps5
04-25-2010, 08:32 PM
What argument? That Florida has yet to produce a good NFL QB? Does it really need any defending? If it doesn't speak for itself already, here is a ferocious tiger that will symbolize the impenetrable defense of my "argument" you speak of

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8kXsPIEkJZI/RyifKsITY9I/AAAAAAAAALU/Z865QdgzBe4/s400/The-kitten-defend-oneself.jpg

Well there we have it. You have been shut down in this ridiculous thread and you have no argument anymore. Have fun being laughed at!

Circle Orange
04-25-2010, 08:37 PM
unless I'm mistaken, no SEC quarterback has been over 6'8". Book it!

Dedhed
04-25-2010, 08:42 PM
Quick someone tell Peyton Manning that he can't have success in the NFL because other UT quarterbacks bombed before him.

SoCalBronco
04-25-2010, 08:45 PM
Horrible argument. Each prospect is evaluated on their own merits.

azbroncfan
04-25-2010, 08:57 PM
Quick someone tell Peyton Manning that he can't have success in the NFL because other UT quarterbacks bombed before him.

Manning almost quit football after Shuler's success in the NFL.

Circle Orange
04-25-2010, 09:02 PM

But...that's CRAZY! Everyone knows going to certain schools dooms you.

Latest trope is that Alabama has terrible tight ends, and that you can't buy a decent wideout from Southern Mississippi.

theAPAOps5
04-25-2010, 09:05 PM

No its not! Just look at his points.

1. Exactly, I mean he knows everything!
2. He only named QB's from Florida
3. He ignored other colleges who are powerhouses but don't have good QB's.

How can you argue with these concrete cyanide facts? This guys knows everything. I mean can you tell me how he could be wrong?

Exactly........ :spit:

HEAV
04-25-2010, 09:10 PM
[QUOTE=Pontius Pirate;2823903]What argument? That Florida has yet to produce a good NFL QB? Does it really need any defending? If it doesn't speak for itself already, here is a ferocious tiger that will symbolize the impenetrable defense of my "argument" you speak of[QUOTE]

Neither has the Oklahoma Sooners program...Troy Aikman doesn't count...

Pony Boy
04-25-2010, 09:13 PM
Texas?

theAPAOps5
04-25-2010, 09:14 PM
Guys please stop making sense. This guy doesn't understand common sense.

Archer81
04-25-2010, 09:23 PM
Paraphrasing a line from the great movie Volcano...

"There is no record of a volcano until there is one".

This nifty tidbit can be applied to positions on teams not known for creating top tier talent at the pro level.

theAPAOps5
04-25-2010, 09:59 PM
Oh oh, I must have touched a nerve somehow! Bronco CB40 is threatening to fight me at Invesco in my rep comments!

I always love tough talk on an internet forum!

gunns
04-25-2010, 10:36 PM
Oh oh, I must have touched a nerve somehow! Bronco CB40 is threatening to fight me at Invesco in my rep comments!

Well that's better than what he was threatening to do to me. In real life he probably looks like John Clayton.

Archer81
04-25-2010, 10:51 PM
All the skanks on here with your style of avatar (Sassy, Blueflame) look like trannies in real life.

Good God dude...stop.

Maturity wont kill you.

snowspot66
04-25-2010, 11:05 PM
Somebody getting a vacation?

theAPAOps5
04-25-2010, 11:18 PM
Nick Scott is the ****head that lost the Orange Mane's media credential due to a lack of common senseHa!

Oh so thats all you can resort to is using something that happened last year thinking it affects me. Guess what it doesn't and I laugh when little posers like you use that. I used a term that was adopted by the members here and the Broncos jumped to conclusions. You see the owner here defended me and thats all that matters.

But go ahead broncofan7 keep using that against me. Like I said in my PM come find me if you can ever save up enough allowance and head towards Denver. I am calling your bluff, you like to make threats but you never seem to back them up.

SureShot
04-25-2010, 11:21 PM

Sounds like someone is treading on my territory. Now I am pissed.

OBF1
04-26-2010, 03:08 AM
This message is hidden because Pontius Pirate is on your ignore list.

Another biotch I do not have to listen to anymore

OBF1
04-26-2010, 03:09 AM

Nick...really, Internet fighting again LOL

ZONA
04-26-2010, 03:13 AM
So by the odds the Gators and Meyer are due, great for the Broncos!

That's what I was going to say. Along with, when was the last time there was a really good left handed QB. They're both due.

Rohirrim
04-26-2010, 03:48 AM
If you really want to screw your head into the ground over this whole thing, read this blog: http://www.teamspeedkills.com/2010/3/16/1336297/tim-tebow-urban-meyer-and-the-nfl

I actually read the whole thing. In the end, I think his point is that great QBs just are. Nobody makes them. No school makes them. No coach makes them. They just have something that nobody else has and if they keep working at it, the intangible "it" rises to the top. It's like trying to figure out how to make a great movie. They've been doing it in Hollywood for a hundred years and still don't know what the formula is. IMO, it's a combination, not just one QB. It's kind of like putting together a great band. Individually, John, Paul, George and Ringo had varying talents and abilities. Put them together and they became The Beatles. John Elway was always a great QB but could never get over that final hill until he had a specific combination of players around him. Then he became unstoppable. Did Brady make the Patriots or did that combination of players and coaches, combined with the right "scheme" make him? That's always the argument with Montana. Many say he was the best who ever played. Some write him off as the product of a scheme. Whatever. That combination at that time was unbeatable.

The winning combination is the most elusive thing in team sports. Which talents of one player enhance the talents of another? How many vets should you have? How many rookies? Should you have a team full of guys who are all intense, focused, serious and grim, or should you toss in a few ****-ups and comedians? We focus too much on individuals. Football is a team sport. Don't believe it? Many believe Dan Marino was one of the best QBs to ever play the game. Talk about throwing motion. He probably had the best ever. SBs? Zip. Why? He just never had the right combination around him.

Tebow might make it. Might not. Or he might not make it here. Or it might take years to find the right combination where he shines. Urban Meyer put a combination together at Florida that was special. Tebow was the crucial element in that team design. Now, that's over. Meyer will try to create a new combination and Tebow moves on to the pros to, in effect, start over. Will he find the right set up here? What will be the right mixture to allow him to succeed? Either nobody can figure out what the formula is, or the formula keeps changing. I'll be curious to see what Josh is building. That's why we watch the games. When the right combination comes together, it's magic.

theAPAOps5
04-26-2010, 09:21 AM
Nick...really, Internet fighting again LOL

Its my charm it brings out the best in people!

Cito Pelon
04-26-2010, 10:54 AM
A large football school turns out lots of NFL talent every year. Surprise surprise!

So what if they haven't turned out a great QB yet. How many great QB's are there in the league at any given time?

I'll tell you right now that there are exactly two franchise quality future HoF QB's in the league right now (not counting Favre's old ass). Brady and Manning. There are another ten, give or take a few, solid to very good QB's in the league. That's all. And I'd bet they are all from different schools and each is probably one of the best (as in top 2 or 3) if not the best QB the school has ever produced. It goes down hill pretty ****ing fast.

There is one QB for any team. There are multiple spots for every other position but just one for the QB. When you consider the retardedly high bust rate for QB's it makes it a pretty damned big deal if even one QB does well. But you expect Florida to put out a good QB every few years? What a ridiculous argument.

Brees & Orton both from Purdue.

From Wikipedia, since you and the OP got me thinking:

"The Purdue Boilermakers football team is the intercollegiate football program of the Purdue University Boilermakers. The program is best known for turning out NFL quarterbacks. Purdue is the only school to have produced 3 quarterbacks who have started and won a Super Bowl, and being named as Super Bowl MVP in the process (Len Dawson, Bob Griese and Drew Brees). Only 4 Big Ten QBs have ever started and won a Super Bowl - the 3 Purdue QBs and Michigan's Tom Brady. Purdue QBs have also produced more NFL starts and passed for more NFL yards and touchdowns than that of any other school. [1]"

gunns
04-26-2010, 11:08 AM
Good God dude...stop.

Maturity wont kill you.

Did he say that to me? Must have been removed. What's a trannie?

Cito Pelon
04-26-2010, 11:09 AM
Its my charm it brings out the best in people!

Yeah, people just wanna hug you in your snuggie, you wovable wittle oogie-woogie. :kiss: Hilarious! I kid.

So - does this thread qualify for the "first meltdown after the draft" thread competition?

broncocalijohn
04-26-2010, 12:12 PM
Somebody getting a vacation?

NOOOOO! We need our Mane psycho to continue.

FADERPROOF
04-26-2010, 12:17 PM
So if Ohio State has a very good QB entering the draft all teams should stay away from him since the Buckeyes have never had a successful NFL QB?

Peoples Champ
04-26-2010, 12:18 PM
Irrelevant/10

Same

Archer81
04-26-2010, 12:21 PM

Transexual. Someone who is changing from male to female, or female to male.

Rohirrim
04-26-2010, 12:29 PM

That thing behind your engine where the gears are. ;D

mizzoutigers
04-26-2010, 12:30 PM
Stupid thread, first of all if he wanted to make a better argument compare alex smith and tebow. those other qbs from florida were all essentially under a spurrier type offense. this is like comparing apples and oranges.

RaiderH8r
04-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Welp, the premise of this thread is retarded.

Sir_Robin
04-26-2010, 01:25 PM
To answer your thread title as it is written:

Quick, name a former Florida NFL QB who was a success

Here's a quick summary:

Bob Griese
Dan Marino
Mark Brunell
Byron Leftwich
Trent Dilfer
Vinny Testaverde
Steve Young

I believe all of these would qualify as former Florida NFL QB's who had success. :thanku:Nnyah!

Pontius Pirate
04-26-2010, 01:41 PM
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/4/19/129161956729992540.gif

theAPAOps5
04-26-2010, 01:57 PM
And this thread just got totally better!

Pontius Pirate
04-26-2010, 02:20 PM
And this thread just got totally better!

Thank you for your continued support.

Circle Orange
04-26-2010, 07:41 PM
[QUOTE=Pontius Pirate;2823903]What argument? That Florida has yet to produce a good NFL QB? Does it really need any defending? If it doesn't speak for itself already, here is a ferocious tiger that will symbolize the impenetrable defense of my "argument" you speak of[QUOTE]

Neither has the Oklahoma Sooners program...Troy Aikman doesn't count...

Wasn't Aikman the product of a pro system in college? :clown:

Paladin
04-26-2010, 07:44 PM
I still don't understand the point of this thread. To answer the OP, who cares? What's the point? Tebow the First may be the first. So what?

Dogsweat
04-26-2010, 08:37 PM
Anybody remember the team Spurrier played for in the pro's?

Hint: Steve Spurrier a Southern Boy played in this City which is completely opposite of the South.

Archer81
04-26-2010, 08:39 PM

Hint: Steve Spurrier a Southern Boy played in this City which is completely opposite of the South.

San Fran, I think.

azbroncfan
04-26-2010, 09:08 PM

49ers

✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
04-27-2010, 01:29 AM

Spurrier also played for the Denver Broncos during the 1977 preseason. He competed with Norris Weese and Craig Penrose for a backup spot behind Craig Morton.

Rock Chalk
04-27-2010, 10:50 AM
Well, Dilfer won a Super Bowl and went to Fresno St. while Carr was a high draft choice from that same school who did what exactly? Sorry, but pointing out a guy's college to figure out if he'll have success or not in the NFL is just plain dumb and no NFL scout who is in the business for any length of time at least, even worries about that nonsense.

But if have that way of thinking, then should be happy the Broncos have Thomas at WR considering Charles Johnson also went to Georgia Tech, so that means Thomas will be great too. This really makes sense to people?

I think it is fair to say that the type of offense that a QB runs in college, coupled with his own skill set that TRANSLATES TO THE NFL is a fair assessment of how well a QB will do in the NFL.

Tebow ran an option offense in college that does not translate into the NFL. Even if he can correct the PLETHORA of things wrong with his mechancis, footwork and overall ability to read NFL level defenses (which is unlikely), he still has no experience running anything even remotely close to an offense that is run in the NFL.

Now, just because a QB ran a pro-style offense in college does not necessarily make him a good NFL QB but your risks are MUCH lower with those types of QBs as their mechanics are already refined (because they have to be to run that style of offense in college) and they have at least some modicum of experience running pro-style sets.

Tebow has bust written all over him.

I see "What Would Tebow Do" in a lot of avatar captions and I have your answer: Cry.

oubronco
04-27-2010, 11:36 AM
how about this....

stanford? 1...john elway

BYU? 1...steve young

Penn State and LB's :ouwknow:

Popps
04-27-2010, 11:41 AM
Tebow ran an option offense in college that does not translate into the NFL. .

McD/Tebow said that the NE spread borrowed a lot from the system they run down there. Also, I don't follow college ball much... but the highlights I see of him passing seem to be similar types of passes we'd be asking him to throw.

I'm more inclined to agree with you on the reading defenses, aspect. That's hard for any young QB, but perhaps more so for a guy who played in a sytem where he ran quite a bit.

Still, the combo of his physical skill and McD's background is exciting.

Rohirrim
04-27-2010, 11:59 AM
McD/Tebow said that the NE spread borrowed a lot from the system they run down there. Also, I don't follow college ball much... but the highlights I see of him passing seem to be similar types of passes we'd be asking him to throw.

I'm more inclined to agree with you on the reading defenses, aspect. That's hard for any young QB, but perhaps more so for a guy who played in a sytem where he ran quite a bit.

Still, the combo of his physical skill and McD's background is exciting.

See this:
http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=91295

There's a reason Josh was so fired up about getting Tebow.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-27-2010, 12:14 PM
I think it is fair to say that the type of offense that a QB runs in college, coupled with his own skill set that TRANSLATES TO THE NFL is a fair assessment of how well a QB will do in the NFL.

Tebow ran an option offense in college that does not translate into the NFL. Even if he can correct the PLETHORA of things wrong with his mechancis, footwork and overall ability to read NFL level defenses (which is unlikely), he still has no experience running anything even remotely close to an offense that is run in the NFL.

Now, just because a QB ran a pro-style offense in college does not necessarily make him a good NFL QB but your risks are MUCH lower with those types of QBs as their mechanics are already refined (because they have to be to run that style of offense in college) and they have at least some modicum of experience running pro-style sets.

Tebow has bust written all over him.

I see "What Would Tebow Do" in a lot of avatar captions and I have your answer: Cry.

This argument would hold more water if there was any rhyme or reason to quarterback success. It seems like a total crapshoot based on the individual. Tebow is a good athlete with a good arm. His chances are as good as anyones as far as im concerned.