PDA

View Full Version : Broncos get an A-

cabronco
04-25-2010, 09:45 AM
From nfl.fanhouse.com . I would say thats pretty good. We'll see what other sport sites grades the Broncos & other teams.

Kaylore
04-25-2010, 09:48 AM
All the grades I've read are ignoring our other picks and just bashing the Tebow selection. Their grade usually is a paragraph explaining that Tebow being picked is a sign of McDaniels' hubris and he will fail. They act like we only had one pick in the draft. I get that it eclipses the other picks, but you need to look at the whole day if that's what you say you're grading.

BMarsh615
04-25-2010, 09:49 AM
Gosselin gave us an "A", said that we had the best 3rd round of any team in the league. Compared Walton to Nalen and Decker to McCaffery.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/042510dnspogoosegrades.3f4b050.html

TheDave
04-25-2010, 09:52 AM
gosselin gave us an "a", said that we had the best 3rd round of any team in the league. Compared walton to nalen and decker to mccaffery.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/042510dnspogoosegrades.3f4b050.html

Hilarious!

Rohirrim
04-25-2010, 09:53 AM
I would remove Tebow from the draft and still give the the Broncos an A.

Inkana7
04-25-2010, 09:54 AM
Hilarious!

Of all the white WRs we've had compared to Eddie, Decker might actually fit the bill. He's a big, fearless dude with great hands.

tsiguy96
04-25-2010, 09:57 AM
i still dont get why the ed mcaffrey reference doesnt work for decker. yes they are both white and yes people like to compare every white WR to ed, but this time it actually fits. not great 40s, great, great hands, possession guys, will willingly block any person on a football field, tough.

Sassy
04-25-2010, 10:08 AM
On Tim Tebow:

John Elway So what do I think about the Tim Tebow pick? I think Tim's a high character, competitive, proven winner. Those are all attributes you want from the leader of your football team. Tim will have to adapt to Josh’s offensive system, which is quite different from the offense he ran in college. Tim has the smarts and work ethic to do it though. Welcome to town Tim, Denver is great place!!

Baba Booey
04-25-2010, 10:10 AM
Kiper gave us a C-. What a complete buffoon.

Dedhed
04-25-2010, 10:13 AM
Of all the white WRs we've had compared to Eddie, Decker might actually fit the bill. He's a big, fearless dude with great hands.I agree. The obvious comparison makes me sigh, but there are similarities to their games.

They're both a little limited athletically, but run great routes, catch everything, play fearlessly, and block.

TheReverend
04-25-2010, 10:13 AM
A- or A fit very well, imo.

I would've prefered to keep all the trade downs, and just take Tebow at 24. Target WR at 43 (not selecting Thomas earlier probably would've left either him or Benn available at our 43 selection). Keep all other selections as was, but now we have another 3rd and 4th to target a great 2 down ILB and another young body to develop along the DL. But this draft is as close to exactly what I wanted them to do that I really can't fault them over a few semantics.

Rohirrim
04-25-2010, 10:18 AM
I agree. The obvious comparison makes me sigh, but there are similarities to their games.

They're both a little limited athletically, but run great routes, catch everything, play fearlessly, and block.

Yep. This time, the comparison works.

barryr
04-25-2010, 10:22 AM
What's funny is that most of the Tebow bashers harp on the Broncos don't have a legit QB in Orton or Quinn, and when the Broncos address the QB spot, it is still a bad move. People wanting it both ways. There are no guarantees any QB taken in this draft will pan out, including Bradford.

TheReverend
04-25-2010, 10:26 AM
What's funny is that most of the Tebow bashers harp on the Broncos don't have a legit QB in Orton or Quinn, and when the Broncos address the QB spot, it is still a bad move. People wanting it both ways. There are no guarantees any QB taken in this draft will pan out, including Bradford.

Not really.

Pre-draft the most outspoken Tebow supporters were myself, DBroncos4life, CB40, and... well thats about it. And none of us think Orton's worth a ****.

The biggest Tebow bashers were all OrtonNextElway! types and as usual with all things from Dove Valley, they lack a spine and shift their opinion based on what happened and then claim it's from "Looking at this move closer" or "With the information I read after from..." or "I actually liked this all along, just later".

But who cares? We got a great guy and people are behind it. That's what matters.

Popps
04-25-2010, 10:28 AM
All the grades I've read are ignoring our other picks and just bashing the Tebow selection. Their grade usually is a paragraph explaining that Tebow being picked is a sign of McDaniels' hubris and he will fail. They act like we only had one pick in the draft. I get that it eclipses the other picks, but you need to look at the whole day if that's what you say you're grading.

Put up a thread after day one saying I was pretty unhappy with our approach, but that the right kind of finish could still make it a great draft. (imo) They did just that.

gunns
04-25-2010, 10:32 AM
i still dont get why the ed mcaffrey reference doesnt work for decker. yes they are both white and yes people like to compare every white WR to ed, but this time it actually fits. not great 40s, great, great hands, possession guys, will willingly block any person on a football field, tough.

He needs to go to the toy story and buy some pads. Then he needs to prove he can block like Eddie Mac......and point at the defender.

SpringStein
04-25-2010, 10:37 AM
He needs to go to the toy story and buy some pads. Then he needs to prove he can block like Eddie Mac......and point at the defender.

He was considered one of the top 2 blockers among WRs in this draft.

Personally I don't see him as an Eddie Mac type. Eddie had straight line speed but wasn't known for his exlosiveness in and out of breaks which is Decker's strength. The commonality is both had/have great hands and concentration.

gunns
04-25-2010, 10:39 AM
Not really.

Pre-draft the most outspoken Tebow supporters were myself, DBroncos4life, CB40, and... well thats about it. And none of us think Orton's worth a ****.

The biggest Tebow bashers were all OrtonNextElway! types and as usual with all things from Dove Valley, they lack a spine and shift their opinion based on what happened and then claim it's from "Looking at this move closer" or "With the information I read after from..." or "I actually liked this all along, just later".

But who cares? We got a great guy and people are behind it. That's what matters.

I've been bashing on Orton forever. I also bashed on Tebow. My views of the pick (and where the pick was) have not changed. I love the rest of the draft (except picking a WR in the 1st) and hope and pray Tebow proves me wrong. But don't EVER call me an OrtonNext Elway person, because that's you just stroking your own ego. And nothing has been proven that you are right about it being the right move. So you don't have to worry about me coming out and saying "I actually liked this all along" should you be right because I'm now on record that I didn't. I will be more than happy to call you 3 "The Man" if TebowNextElway.

barryr
04-25-2010, 10:39 AM
Both Thomas and Decker are not for their blocking.

Rohirrim
04-25-2010, 10:52 AM

I doubt there are as many question marks behind Bradford as there are behind Tebow, at least as far as pro scouts are concerned. I don't know about anybody else, but I figured next year would be a great time to address the QB spot. Locker, Luck and Mallett will be there. We'll have a first and two seconds. We could have used that 2nd, 3rd and fourth in this draft to build a very powerful fundamental base, even more so than we did in this draft.

Here's who was still available at those spots:
2 - Kindle, Houston, L. Joseph, Toby Gerhart, J. Cunningham, Cody, Ducasse, G. Tate, Spikes, Angerer

3 - Carrington, Jerry, Gilyard, Wooton, Ford (but I think we got the cream of the third round anyway)

4 - AJ Edds, Geno Atkins, Eric Norwood, Owuso, Schofield

So, you could say that Tebow is worth Toby, Carrington and Edds, or any other combo.

DB-Freak
04-25-2010, 10:54 AM
Both Thomas and Decker are not for their blocking.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

Rohirrim
04-25-2010, 10:59 AM
I've been bashing on Orton forever. I also bashed on Tebow. My views of the pick (and where the pick was) have not changed. I love the rest of the draft (except picking a WR in the 1st) and hope and pray Tebow proves me wrong. But don't EVER call me an OrtonNext Elway person, because that's you just stroking your own ego. And nothing has been proven that you are right about it being the right move. So you don't have to worry about me coming out and saying "I actually liked this all along" should you be right because I'm now on record that I didn't. I will be more than happy to call you 3 "The Man" if TebowNextElway.

The Rev's main preoccupation is stroking his own ego. ;D

I would say that most people on this board, like myself, feel that Orton is a dependable QB to have while we are in a transition period to finding a new, franchise QB. Now, McD seems to have made the investment in Tebow. I don't buy it. I think Josh jumped the gun. He should have waited until next year to go after his QB. Orton/Quinn/Stater would have been fine for this season. I don't believe Tebow's game will translate to the pros. Fortunately, the Broncos did so well in the draft, other than Tebow, that even if he doesn't work out, they might get away with it.

Zoobie
04-25-2010, 11:07 AM
I doubt there are as many question marks behind Bradford as there are behind Tebow, at least as far as pro scouts are concerned. I don't know about anybody else, but I figured next year would be a great time to address the QB spot. Locker, Luck and Mallett will be there. We'll have a first and two seconds. We could have used that 2nd, 3rd and fourth in this draft to build a very powerful fundamental base, even more so than we did in this draft.

2 - Kindle, Houston, L. Joseph, Toby Gerhart, J. Cunningham, Cody, Ducasse, G. Tate, Spikes, Angerer

3 - Carrington, Jerry, Gilyard, Wooton, Ford (but I think we got the cream of the third round anyway)

So, you could say that Tebow is worth Toby, Carrington and Edds, or any other combo.
dont forget everson griffen.

barryr
04-25-2010, 11:27 AM
I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

I meant both are "known" for their blocking. My typing skills obviously not the greatest.

barryr
04-25-2010, 11:28 AM

Reality is not all of those players will pan out either, so time will tell.

Rohirrim
04-25-2010, 11:33 AM
Reality is not all of those players will pan out either, so time will tell.

Odds are much, much better that one of three players will pan out than one of one will. ;D

It's called the all your eggs in one basket syndrome.

barryr
04-25-2010, 11:36 AM
Odds are much, much better that one of three players will pan out than one of one will. ;D

It's called the all your eggs in one basket syndrome.

One would think, but looking at all the failed DL picks under Shanahan, says not really.

Cito Pelon
04-25-2010, 11:46 AM
Of all the white WRs we've had compared to Eddie, Decker might actually fit the bill. He's a big, fearless dude with great hands.

I get tired of hearing what a player's heritage is, it matters nothing to me.

TheReverend
04-25-2010, 11:53 AM
I get tired of hearing what a player's heritage is, it matters nothing to me.

Good for you.

Bronco Yoda
04-25-2010, 11:56 AM
I love that we loaded up on O-line like I wanted. Now we just have to wait and see if we picked the right guys. I have no complaints on this draft when all is said and done.

Well done McD & Co. !

UberBroncoMan
04-25-2010, 12:48 PM
I give us a B+.

If Tebow pans out it's an A+ if he bombs it's a B- to C+.

bloodsunday
04-25-2010, 01:15 PM

I think that Mel grades somewhat on the players that we take, but also on how we acquire them. I am not sure he has as much a problem (admittedly having only seen the grade and not the summary) with the fact that both Thomas and Tebow were taken too early. I think more than one of us around here thinks we could have gotten both later.

For example, he gave J'ville a bad grade mostly because they stayed at 10 and took a guy they could have had at 30. In his opinion, if you want that guy, then move back.

In that sense, I think it was fair to question Denver's day 1. I like the players, but I think they were too aggressive moving up for players they could have likely had later. But we'll never know. And if they turn out to be stars, no one will care.

bloodsunday
04-25-2010, 01:20 PM
I doubt there are as many question marks behind Bradford as there are behind Tebow, at least as far as pro scouts are concerned. I don't know about anybody else, but I figured next year would be a great time to address the QB spot. Locker, Luck and Mallett will be there.

Pro Scouts only look at 2 things any more: throwing motion and combine stuff. Steve Young (and many more) wouldn't have great reviews based on that in today's world either. Vince Young had much less success in college as a passer (and an ugly motion) and he still went in the top 3 picks. He's now a Pro Bowler and been to the playoffs.

The point was no QB is a guarantee in this league, no matter how smart the scouts think they are.

Archer81
04-25-2010, 01:21 PM

Consider. The Broncos took Tebow and for the next 3 hours the conversation repeatedly came back to the fact they took Tebow. Which means they talked about the Broncos. It was quite nice, actually.

:Broncos:

Archer81
04-25-2010, 01:23 PM
Considering our draft...We picked up two big receivers. Both DT and ED are 6'3, both over 220 pounds. We drafted o-linemen with a starting weight at 300 pounds and are known for intelligence and nasty play. We picked two corners who can return kicks and were highly rated and fell. Nice draft. The of course, we picked the Tebow.

:Broncos:

bowtown
04-25-2010, 01:32 PM
Not really.

I've been an ardent supporter of Tebow since his inception... even before his mom had made up her mind.

Garcia Bronco
04-25-2010, 01:34 PM
I give it an A-. Mcdaniels and Xander owned it out there. Moving back. Replacing WR. Using the move down to move back up. And the players are all quality competitors.

bowtown
04-25-2010, 01:36 PM
Day 1 - D
Day 2 - A+
Day 3 - C

cmhargrove
04-25-2010, 01:51 PM
I think that Mel grades somewhat on the players that we take, but also on how we acquire them. I am not sure he has as much a problem (admittedly having only seen the grade and not the summary) with the fact that both Thomas and Tebow were taken too early. I think more than one of us around here thinks we could have gotten both later.

For example, he gave J'ville a bad grade mostly because they stayed at 10 and took a guy they could have had at 30. In his opinion, if you want that guy, then move back.

In that sense, I think it was fair to question Denver's day 1. I like the players, but I think they were too aggressive moving up for players they could have likely had later. But we'll never know. And if they turn out to be stars, no one will care.

Good points, but I really, really liked how McD and Xanders were able to move down to stockpile, then move up to aquire. I thought their draft progress was incredible and they got the players they wanted.

I think you can't argue so much with their methods, they manipulated the picks very well. Another thing, we know to exppect lots of excitement every draft day when McD and Xanders are at the helm - anything is possible...

Didn't we start the day with seven picks, and then end up drafting nine? I would say they played the draft like a fiddle and got what was most important to them. Parlay your way twice into the first round, then end up with extra picks...

Rohirrim
04-25-2010, 02:11 PM
Good points, but I really, really liked how McD and Xanders were able to move down to stockpile, then move up to aquire. I thought their draft progress was incredible and they got the players they wanted.

I think you can't argue so much with their methods, they manipulated the picks very well. Another thing, we know to exppect lots of excitement every draft day when McD and Xanders are at the helm - anything is possible...

Didn't we start the day with seven picks, and then end up drafting nine? I would say they played the draft like a fiddle and got what was most important to them. Parlay your way twice into the first round, then end up with extra picks...

But used next year's fifth rounder. I'm not too worried about that though. The way these guys deal, they'll get a whole new batch going next year. I liked how in the post draft presser Josh mentioned that teams might start cutting people now so there will be a whole new bunch of players to look at. He never stops.

Atwater His Ass
04-25-2010, 02:31 PM
Draft grades the day after are just dumb. You obviously cannot base this assessment on how the players will perform, since it's all just a crapshoot.

The "grades" are based on purely arbitary draft boards by "experts", yet the only boards that matter are the 32 boards each team develops and obviously doesn't share with anyone.

I never saw the point of grading out a draft the day after. It's an exercise using the value chart and how you personally had the players rated (on your board that doesn't count for anything) and the "value" given up/aquired via trades. It's meaningless since nobody has any clue how any of these players will actually perform in the NFL.

DBroncos4life
04-25-2010, 02:40 PM
I think when camp starts, (it's going to be a mad house there) people will be shocked how pro ready Tebow really is. I am willing to bet anything that they will come out and say his throwing motion and foot work looks like a 10 year vet. There is no doubt in my mind that McD is going to have this guy set up to be a big time star. I feel really bad for Orton, because there is no way he will be able to keep Tebow off the field for very long.

tsiguy96
04-25-2010, 02:41 PM
I think when camp starts, (it's going to be a mad house there) people will be shocked how pro ready Tebow really is. I am willing to bet anything that they will come out and say his throwing motion and foot work looks like a 10 year vet. There is no doubt in my mind that McD is going to have this guy set up to be a big time star. I feel really bad for Orton, because there is no way he will be able to keep Tebow off the field for very long.

orton has had a ****ty start to his NFL career, and its not all his fault. hes better than a lot of starting NFL QBs

TheReverend
04-25-2010, 02:43 PM
orton has had a ****ty start to his NFL career, and its not all his fault. hes better than most backup NFL QBs

fixed

ELEVATION
04-25-2010, 02:45 PM
When grading a complete draft one must take into consideration value as well, whether arm chair fans like it or not....this draft is a C grade....baltimore owned us for 23% value in there favor on the trade to get tebow...to put that in perspective seattle owned us 16% on the alphonso smith deal.....trading a 2011 5th for 2 seventh rd picks was a 3.2 % loss of value for us...our trade back with new enlgand lost us 5%..see the trend....

face it folks this draft sucked in some ways.....now the players they pretty solid B+ acroos the board...but its clear when MCD is ready to draft he makes sure to burn any draft value chart with in 100 miles of his war room....so draft wise taking everything in account i dont see how the overall garde can be more or less than a C

Atwater His Ass
04-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Point is it doesn't matter because it's a meaningless analysis. It's only function is to provide some draft "experts" jobs, hype up the draft and by default the NFL, and get fans talking about it on the off-season.

Since nobody knows how any of these players will perform in the NFL, you don't have any idea what their true vaule is, only an analysis based on conjecture.

bloodsunday
04-25-2010, 03:25 PM
Draft grades the day after are just dumb. You obviously cannot base this assessment on how the players will perform, since it's all just a crapshoot.

That's why I think Kiper uses a little bit of "process" to his grade. In other words, did teams take guys with "value" or too early based on the draft board. I have not seen Kiper really blast someone for taking someone a round too early (other than say the top 15 picks or so). So I think it's pretty fair. But in general he grades teams down if they take 4th round talent in the 2nd round. I think that part you can assess now. Again, by most accounts Thomas was not even 1 of the top 3 WR on the draft board and Denver moved up 2 spots to take him as the first WR off the board. Sure seems like there was at least an 85% chance he was there at 24, so why waste the picks? Dallas was obviously going Dez Bryant the whole way -- Jerry Jones thinks he is the next Randy Moss :)

I'm a little less opinionated about it, but I think there was a good chance Denver could have waited out the 1st round and then tried to trade up and get St Louis first pick in the 2nd round to get Tebow. That said, they seemed to have an agreement with Tebow (he had purchased those Denver hats that he put on himself in advance) and they honored it.

Whether the players pan out is a different story and one that we cannot actually know for at least 1 full season, and more realistically 2 or 3.

Atwater His Ass
04-25-2010, 03:32 PM
My point is that you clearly CANNOT assess, with any sort of accuracy, taking what is projected to be 4th round talent in the 2nd round. You just do not know how that player will perform.

Do you think Doom would have lasted to the 4th round if people knew how he would perform in the NFL? Teams would have been blasted by taking him in the 1st round. Which would have made for some good discussion/hype for the off-season, but that's it.

So if people want to waste time talking about draft grades immediately after the draft, be my guest. I get that some people are interested in the value charts and what moves teams made, doing mocks, and developing their own boards, projections, etc. It just isn't relevant to actual production on the field, which is all that matters, and hence, the discussion precludes itself from having any tangible meaning, other than a talking point until the season starts.

gunns
04-25-2010, 03:33 PM
orton has had a ****ty start to his NFL career, and its not all his fault. hes better than a lot of starting NFL QBs

Insert Plummer and you've dug up a post from 6 years ago. When a QB changes teams and plays the same way, it's the QB.

bloodsunday
04-25-2010, 06:48 PM
Do you think Doom would have lasted to the 4th round if people knew how he would perform in the NFL? Teams would have been blasted by taking him in the 1st round. Which would have made for some good discussion/hype for the off-season, but that's it.

Yes teams would have been blasted, and rightly so. Everyone knew that Dumerville projected to be a 2nd day pick. Just because he out-performed that doesn't mean a team should have picked him higher.

Look at it this way: let's say your favorite beer is Bud Light. Just because that beer is the best beer for you, should you rush out and pay the same price as a microbrew for it? Of course not. You know the value.

The NFL draft is a process and part of that process is maximizing the value that you get for every pick. On draft day, it might be the biggest part. That's why Jimmy Johnson became a genius for inventing the trade value chart. Some times the value of a player gets screwed up -- but that doesn't mean that you should just over pay for that player. (Obviously there is discretion here but you get the point). I also happen to think that it makes New England's plan of constantly trading down smart. The longer you wait, the more teams draft for need and the more "value" that is left on the board (and ultimately you have more picks to try and hit on). In a sense you are gaming what other teams will do in addition to staying true to your own draft board. Denver paid a HEAVY price to draft Tebow and Thomas. At the end of the day they gave up 3 additional picks. And when you consider that drafting is an "odds" game, they let go of 3 more chances to be right. So, if they also "reached" and overpaid they did so at the expense of having more chances to be right. And I think you can analyze that (within limits) this close to the draft ending.

snowspot66
04-25-2010, 07:03 PM
fixed

It was right the first time and you know it.

BroncoBuff
04-25-2010, 07:07 PM
From nfl.fanhouse.com . I would say thats pretty good. We'll see what other sport sites grades the Broncos & other teams.

Miami Herald gives us a D (http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/24/1596753/denver-broncos-2010-nfl-draft.html#ixzz0mATWmYh5).

Says we "drafted like a team that has won three straight Super Bowls, selecting luxury picks early and trying to prove how much smarter they are than the rest of the league."

They think UDFA LB Ayodele will have the biggest impact in 2010. Weird.

BroncoBuff
04-25-2010, 07:09 PM
I would remove Tebow from the draft and still give the the Broncos an A.

Imagine that.

TheReverend
04-25-2010, 07:14 PM
It was right the first time and you know it.

Yeah. He's so good we didn't make QB a priority at all this off-season.

Shoemaker
04-25-2010, 07:26 PM
Miami Herald gives us a D (http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/24/1596753/denver-broncos-2010-nfl-draft.html#ixzz0mATWmYh5).

Says we "drafted like a team that has won three straight Super Bowls, selecting luxury picks early and trying to prove how much smarter they are than the rest of the league."

That analysis doesn't make any sense. Thomas and Beadles definitely weren't "luxury picks."

You could argue Tebow was, but with Orton being a free agent after this year and Quinn an uncertainty, I don't really see him as that much of a luxury.

Oh, and Buff: Ayodele wasn't a UDFA. He's just a FA; he's been in the league 9 years.

He was with the Dolphins last year. Apparently they're the farm team for our defense.

cutthemdown
04-25-2010, 07:36 PM
To grade the draft you first have to look at what picks a team has. Obviously when you pick higher you get more ammo.

Broncos didn't really use a first round pick on Tebow in the grand scheme of things. They traded down and turned it into more picks. When you are targetting WR and one is injured, the other has off field issues, you can afford to drop like they did.

Hard to grade drafts but it looks like they maximized what they had then grab players who played positions the broncos need help at.

You never know when you will find a stud like Doom or Marshall so it's hard to grade.

IMO it's last yrs draft we should expect the most help from. Moreno/Ayers have both got to play well. Our soph slump guy Royal needs to step up and we need better play from Mcbath, Bruton, Woodyard etc, all the young guys who should be better this yr.

Then anything we get from rookies is a bonus. Hopefully at least one of the olineman and 1 of the WR can play some.

cutthemdown
04-25-2010, 07:38 PM
If Royal can add 25-30 receptions more then last yr, and we can get some decent games from the 2 rookies maybe we won't miss Marshall. Yeah right.

Well Moreno could lessen some of that as well. In actuality Broncos offense sort of stunk last yr. It wasn't much worst points wise then yr before but it was a lot harder to get yrds and move ball.

SoDak Bronco
04-25-2010, 07:40 PM
Denver: Yes, there have been many snickers around the NFL about coach Josh McDaniels being immature (Chargers incident last season) and still learning on game days. But he's turned into one trading Jessie on draft day. He and GM Brian Xander left the first round with two selections and the two players they wanted in WR Demaryius Thomas and QB Tim Tebow, who should compete with Kyle Orton for the starting job. Unlike Brandon Marshall and Jay Cutler, these two players are saints and definitely hard-workers. Zane Beadles played left tackle at Utah, but is projected inside as a guard and was a solid pick in the middle of the second round. Minnesota receiver Eric Decker was a one-man show in college and a lot of teams loved him in the second round until a foot injury sidelined him. Decker played all four seasons at Minnesota and finished with 227 catches for 3,119 yards and 24 TDs. Cal CB Syd'quan Thompson projects to be a physical, tough zone player and should make the team despite being a seventh-rounder. McDaniels eventually took a risky pick in Oklahoma State CB Perrish Cox, who was suspended at the end of the season, but he could turn into a top-flight player and returner. Grade: B+

BroncoBuff
04-25-2010, 07:47 PM
I agree. The obvious comparison makes me sigh, but there are similarities to their games.

Actually, the best comparison is between Eric Decker and Florida's Riley Cooper - whom the Eagles drafted in the 6th round. Virtually IDENTICAL, size, skills, great speed, strengths, toughness, love for blocking, etc ... and both played minor league baseball.

They're far more like each other than like Eddie.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/WR/Riley-Cooper.php
http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/WR/Eric-Decker.php

KCStud
04-25-2010, 07:53 PM
Coming from a rival fan, this is very hard to say, but you guys had a very good draft.

Eric Olsen, Zane Beadles and JD Walton especially are gonna be very good for your OL. Could put them in the top 5 this year.

Decker and Thomas were good picks too. Decker is a very good kid who was everything in Minnesota.

Oh and Perrish Cox is good too. He fell to far for character concerns. He has considerable talent. Much better draft this time for McDaniels and the entire AFC West as a whole this year.

SoDak Bronco
04-25-2010, 08:00 PM
KC ud, i think you guys did well in the draft. loved the first 2 picks, not sure about Arenas, i think he is average corner, but Berry and mcCluster will be very good. Plus you got the guard from Ill. that I really liked.

KCStud
04-25-2010, 08:26 PM
KC ud, i think you guys did well in the draft. loved the first 2 picks, not sure about Arenas, i think he is average corner, but Berry and mcCluster will be very good. Plus you got the guard from Ill. that I really liked.

Thought Arenas was too high to be taken, but it is a passing league now and the nickel is very important. Decker, Thomas and Royal will be hard to defend along with DHBI(if he learns to catch), Cooper and Murphy.

BroncoBuff
04-25-2010, 08:43 PM
That analysis doesn't make any sense. Thomas and Beadles definitely weren't "luxury picks."

You could argue Tebow was, but with Orton being a free agent after this year and Quinn an uncertainty, I don't really see him as that much of a luxury.

Oh, and Buff: Ayodele wasn't a UDFA. He's just a FA; he's been in the league 9 years.

He was with the Dolphins last year. Apparently they're the farm team for our defense.

I thought he sounded familiar, the Cowboy's Ayodele. Okay, that's good depth, 3-4 experienced depth at LB.

Why would they include him in a draft grade article? Jamal Williams would make more sense.

BroncoBuff
04-25-2010, 09:04 PM
NFL Fanhouse ... A-

Denver (Day 1: A; Day 2: B): No matter what else happens, Round 1 will make or break this group -- WR Demayrius Thomas and QB Tim Tebow, specifically the latter. Center J.D. Walton (No. 80) could be a stalwart for years and CB Perrish Cox (No. 137) was a stroke of genius. Pretty strong draft, but Round 1's picks will get all the attention. Final Grade: A-

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/04/25/2010-nfl-draft-grades-final-verdict/

snowspot66
04-25-2010, 09:52 PM
Yeah. He's so good we didn't make QB a priority at all this off-season.

He's better than most of the starters in the league. It's the truth. It doesn't make him great but you can feel free to keep throwing him under the bus.

gunns
04-25-2010, 10:15 PM
They are on NFLN right now saying Perrish Cox is the sleeper of the draft. Very exciting.

cutthemdown
04-25-2010, 10:30 PM
stud= media loved them
great value = good players but media didn't salivate over them
sleeper= played well but media ignored them

Basically all these kids incredible athletes to have made it this far. I tip my hat to their endurance and toughness.

Lomax
04-26-2010, 01:36 AM
When grading a complete draft one must take into consideration value as well, whether arm chair fans like it or not....this draft is a C grade....baltimore owned us for 23% value in there favor on the trade to get tebow...to put that in perspective seattle owned us 16% on the alphonso smith deal.....trading a 2011 5th for 2 seventh rd picks was a 3.2 % loss of value for us...our trade back with new enlgand lost us 5%..see the trend....

face it folks this draft sucked in some ways.....now the players they pretty solid B+ acroos the board...but its clear when MCD is ready to draft he makes sure to burn any draft value chart with in 100 miles of his war room....so draft wise taking everything in account i dont see how the overall garde can be more or less than a C

I agree, if you're going to analyze the draft, you have to look at value. There is a reason that we grade low in that area, however.

McDaniels uses a small board and targets players. In order to target guys, you have to burn value, because on an even field, you will have to make a deal with a team that's not looking to move, meaning you have to give up some value to make a trade.

I like the methodology. We burn value but we get a group of guys that specifically fit a mold. Theoretically, team production will be more valuable than whatever points we gave up in trades.

Killericon
04-26-2010, 01:41 AM

Does anyone who has ESPN Insider care to share with us Kiper's reasoning for this? I wanna hear him bitch about how Clausen fell so far.

cutthemdown
04-26-2010, 01:47 AM
Kiper is saying that because you had a chance at 2 first round picks, and blew them, you get a bad grade.

He thinks we passed on the best WR, then reached on Tebow. That's fine though at least he gives bad grades unlike gruden who liked everyones draft.

It's ok because he also loved Jamarcus Russell and even he will admit he is wrong a lot. They do there best to make opinions that come true but they are 50/50 at best.

I get his reasoning though. He's saying the draft was avg because we didn't grab players he thought we should early in draft.

Also the Parrish Cox kid, he's the one who was suspended for Cotton Bowl, banned from his teams pro day.

He must be the one project personality. Mcdaniels said once when asked about players with problems and he said you can take them on, but only with great leaders to guide them.

I think mcDaniels has the right idea. It's a tough way to build talent when you take morals into consideration. But I think in the end you could end up with a loyal passionate football club that people loathe to play because of how hard and disciplined they play.

Broncos IMO have been easy to rattle, easy to get out of synch, easy to push around to tell you the truth.

Sad to watch us get pushed around. Losing sucks, but getting beat up in the process really stinks. We were a more physical last yr but we have a ways to go still.

Rohirrim
04-26-2010, 01:53 AM

Being the "Miami" Herald, I wonder if they wouldn't have hated any team that picked Tebow? This analysis reads like somebody has an axe to grind.

TheReverend
04-26-2010, 04:56 AM
He's better than most of the starters in the league. It's the truth. It doesn't make him great but you can feel free to keep throwing him under the bus.

http://imgur.com/VW5jo.jpg

Garcia Bronco
04-26-2010, 05:19 AM

it was an equal trade on the draft chart.

Steve Sewell
04-26-2010, 06:55 AM

Kiper was visibly butt-hurt for most of the draft because many of his ratings were clearly debunked by NFL front offices. Most notably Jimmy Clausen...I think Kiper had him ranked as one of the top 3 players available in the draft? ROFL.

Garcia Bronco
04-26-2010, 06:59 AM
I doubt there are as many question marks behind Bradford as there are behind Tebow, .

When Bradford finishes training camp he'll will have averaged 1 game per season the last 2 years. 2 games in near two years. I'd say that's a big question mark.

PRBronco
04-26-2010, 07:07 AM
Kiper was visibly butt-hurt for most of the draft because many of his ratings were clearly debunked by NFL front offices. Most notably Jimmy Clausen...I think Kiper had him ranked as one of the top 3 players available in the draft? ROFL.

Haha, I was laughing so hard when his "Kiper's Best Available" list was unchanged for like 3 ****ing hours. It was almost as painful as watching Aaron Rodgers or Brady Quinn's draft day falls: "just take the list down, I feel sorry for it!"

Steve Sewell
04-26-2010, 07:08 AM

McCluster and Arenas were head-scratchers, considering that KC has (or is perceived to have) significant needs at OL and LB. Perhaps they are thinking that they need more explosive offensive options to make the offense less predictable. However, I just saw Cassel on his butt a lot last year.

Steve Sewell
04-26-2010, 07:16 AM
When Bradford finishes training camp he'll will have averaged 1 game per season the last 2 years. 2 games in near two years. I'd say that's a big question mark.

Bradford is going to struggle a lot in the NFL. If he gets hit and lands on that shoulder again, he's a goner. He played on a team with considerable talent, most of his passes were completed to receivers that were WIDE open because of the type of offense that they played. A very "meh" 1st selection in the draft.