PDA

View Full Version : Who liked Tebow before the draft?

jayman_37
04-25-2010, 07:32 AM
Who here liked Tebow before Denver drafted him? I hated him before the draft and still don't really like him, but I feel like I am getting talked into him by everyon here.

So my question is who here liked Tebow before the draft and wanted him? I would normally turn this into a poll, but I have no idea how to do that.

Killericon
04-25-2010, 07:33 AM
I pretty much nothing-ed him. I didn't know what to think.

Br0nc0Buster
04-25-2010, 07:38 AM
I said he was a runningback who played qb

so no I wasnt a fan of him as a franchise qb

but im not gonna be negative until I see him play and see what Josh does with him

DenverBrit
04-25-2010, 07:39 AM
I couldn't imagine taking him in the first two rounds. Maybe a 3rd rounder but even then out of curiosity.

I have since changed my mind somewhat after seeing his pro day vid which shows his throwing motion has vastly improved in a relatively short time.

Now I'm really intrigued by his potential.

Kaylore
04-25-2010, 07:39 AM
I liked him in round 3. In round one I said it would be the most embarrassing moment in our draft history. It wasn't. I was surprised at how many people and fans loved the pick. And we gained a crap-load of new fans to our team in one night.

I still wish we could have waited to the second or third round, though. That would be a perfect place to take him.

tsiguy96
04-25-2010, 07:41 AM
I liked him in round 3. In round one I said it would be the most embarrassing moment in our draft history. It wasn't. I was surprised at how many people and fans loved the pick. And we gained a crap-load of new fans to our team in one night.

I still wish we could have waited to the second or third round, though. That would be a perfect place to take him.

he woulda been gone, definitely. doubt he would made it into second round, with rumors of new england and bills being very interested. and we all read old man wilsons disgruntled "they panicked" speech.

Cosmo
04-25-2010, 07:41 AM
Funny thing, in my madden online franchise that me and a few friends still have going......I drafted "Tim Tribow" in the very first draft and traded out Orton. I think I would have to consider myself a Tebow fan before the draft.

bowtown
04-25-2010, 07:48 AM
I always loved him and was hoping we would trade all our picks to move up to the #1 spot to take him.

OABB
04-25-2010, 07:50 AM
We drafed tebow!?!?

Dagmar
04-25-2010, 07:55 AM
He annoyed me, a lot. After watching Gruden's QB camp, I hoped...

SonOfLe-loLang
04-25-2010, 07:55 AM
I said I wouldn't bet against him

Que
04-25-2010, 07:56 AM
Don't follow college football so didn't really know much about him other than him being the Son of God or from a divine race of super humanoids with carbon fiber reinforced bones. That he was the greatest QB in College Football Evar and that the NCAA enacted the Tebow rule, giving the Gators only 3 downs to go 15 yards when he was on the field. That he once ran through a brick wall at the end of the end zone celebrating a starving child that he saved in Uganda.

That and um, none of the NFL analysts thought he could do anything more then play on a NFL scout team for some reason.

Seriously, in my uneducated college football mind that's essentially all that I knew. He was a God in the NCAA and won't be able to hold a clipboard in the NFL. Didn't make sense then... doesn't make sense now.

The Joker
04-25-2010, 08:03 AM
Couple of posts I made Thursday morning.

If we trade down into the mid-late twenties, Tebow is definitely right in play.

I would be very, very excited about the pick if it did happen, too.

If we're going to take a QB in the draft, it needs to be one with a much higher upside than either of these guys. To me that means Tebow. Obviously Bradford would be tremendous, but it's not realistic. So either take your punt on Tebow and try and develop the monstrous talent he has into a legit NFL player, or don't draft a QB at all IMO.

He was the only QB we had any shot at that I was interested in us taking. Bradford I think can be great, but outside of that none of the other prospects excited me.

Orton I think is a solid NFL QB, and Quinn could be in our system too I think.

So if we were going to take a QB, it had to be someone with the potential to be something special, and that was Tebow. Nobody else struck me as the kind of guy that would ever provide a significant upgrade on what we already had.

BMarsh615
04-25-2010, 08:06 AM
I liked him and actually wanted us to draft him in the second round if he fell to us. Then we traded for Brady Quinn and I figured we were set at the QB for this year.

BMarsh615
04-25-2010, 08:13 AM
Here are my only posts discussing Tebow prior to the draft.

Bradford and Tebow. The QB I hope we stay away from like the plague is Jimmy Clausen.

Man that kid has a good work ethic. I would be pretty happy if we got him with our second rounder. If Tebow gets good coaching he would do everything in his power to be a great QB.

lostknight
04-25-2010, 08:15 AM
I loved him, pointed him out in June, and also have stated multiple times that he would be a first round pick. I didn't think we would take him because I thought Josh actually believed all the fantasyland things he was saying about Orton.

jayman_37
04-25-2010, 08:22 AM

I couldn't agree more.

_Oro_
04-25-2010, 08:31 AM
I didn't like him. Once they panned to him on the Florida sideline and he looked like he was being a huge douche to the waterboy. Stuff like that really pisses me off. I could give a sh*T if you take a trip to Africa and pretend like your helping people for the media. If your a d*ck to your waiter or the cabby or the waterboy then you can fk off for all I care.

That being said, when it comes gametime I hope he balls for us on the field.

baja
04-25-2010, 08:32 AM
I liked him because I believe he has "It" and I thought that If Josh got a chance to coach him it could be something special and challenging in the extreme for opposing defenses to deal with but I never expected us to actually draft him. Thrilled that we did though.

WolfpackGuy
04-25-2010, 08:38 AM
I didn't like Tebow as a first rounder, and to give up a 2, 3, and 4 was too steep for my liking.

I would've been fine with it as a late 2nd at the earliest.

My stance on him has softened a lot since Thursday mainly because the Broncos also addressed their OL.

For all his warts, he does seem to have a nose for the first down marker and goalline though.

tsiguy96
04-25-2010, 08:40 AM
I didn't like Tebow as a first rounder, and to give up a 2, 3, and 4 was too steep for my liking.

I would've been fine with it as a late 2nd at the earliest.

My stance on him has softened a lot since Thursday mainly because the Broncos also addressed their OL.

For all his warts, he does seem to have a nose for the first down marker and goalline though.

he would not have even made it to the 2nd round, much less the late 2nd round. mcdaniels saw him as a guy he had to get, and he did. mcdaniels acquired most of the extra picks by trading back in the first place, so essentially they did give up a 2nd rounder only for him.

listopencil
04-25-2010, 08:44 AM
Do you mean liked him as a person? I did. There's a lot to like. I didn't want the Broncos to draft him though. Especially not with the eleventh pick in the first round.

tsiguy96
04-25-2010, 08:46 AM
Do you mean liked him as a person? I did. There's a lot to like. I didn't want the Broncos to draft him though. Especially not with the eleventh pick in the first round.

good thing they take him 25th then!

listopencil
he would not have even made it to the 2nd round, much less the late 2nd round. mcdaniels saw him as a guy he had to get, and he did. mcdaniels acquired most of the extra picks by trading back in the first place, so essentially they did give up a 2nd rounder only for him.

Yeah, I was pretty pissed off even when they snagged him with #25 but in hindsight I don't think he was going to fall much further. Maybe top of the second at most.

go_broncos
I think most of us liked Tebow.But, very few expected that Mcd will pick him in first round and give away 3 picks to get him.
I am hoping that player's drafted last year will contribute this year.
Except Moreno..none of them played well.

Tebow has to sit atleast couple more years before he starts in NFL.
Can bowlen and fans be patient if Mcd goes 8-8/7-9 for the next couple of seasons.
I don't think so..If Mcd gets fired before Tebow develops, then it becomes more difficult for tebow.

We need to atleast reach playoff's in next couple of seasons so that Mcd's job is secure.
Bowlen has given shanny lot of time as we won 2 superbowls.
I don't think Bowlen will give that many chances to Josh.

Let's hope that Mcd is successful in what he is doing.

RonDaChamp24
04-25-2010, 08:47 AM
I've always liked him. Knew we were going to draft him and I'm glad we did.

WolfpackGuy
04-25-2010, 08:47 AM

Who else do you think was in play?

The Bills are "now" saying they wanted Dan Williams who went at 26.

I'm not sure I buy that though...

tsiguy96
04-25-2010, 08:48 AM

buffalo, new england, jacksonville are the main names coming up.

dont listen to the bills for a f-ing second, you know they wanted him and how bitter wilson sounded about us "mistakingly" moving up proves it.

WolfpackGuy
04-25-2010, 08:52 AM
buffalo, new england, jacksonville are the main names coming up.

dont listen to the bills for a f-ing second, you know they wanted him and how bitter wilson sounded about us "mistakingly" moving up proves it.

Their pick at 10 was a headscratcher.

We were like WTF is that?

Dogsweat
04-25-2010, 09:02 AM
If the Broncos drafted Colt McCoy, would there be this much hype?

NFLBRONCO
04-25-2010, 09:05 AM

so no I wasnt a fan of him as a franchise qb

but im not gonna be negative until I see him play and see what Josh does with him

A 1st time HC with no success on his resume yet takes on a 2 yr project. Josh better hope he has at least 5 yrs here to see what team he fields.

cabronco
04-25-2010, 09:06 AM
I didn't particularly care for him in college, alot because he got alot of attention over & over that he was a winner. But I noticed much of the talk was about his dual threat, and mainly running the ball like a LB. I typically pulled for the underdog who Tebow & the Gators were playing against.

Fast forwarding to the combine, I saw a big qb that worked his arse off to prepare, and he basically excelled at all the combine drills. I just thought this guy has a real passion for obviously his faith, but for Football too. Thinking back to college the guy gave it 110 % all the time.

I see just a few special athletes, Elway was one, that has so much passion for the game, its so visible, that its contagious, and elevates the players and team around him. I think thats a big part of the make up of being a true winner, and having the " it " factor. Tebow has grown on me, I like the type of player he is, which makes it easy & fun for me to root for him.

HEAV
04-25-2010, 09:07 AM
I'm a fan of the Gators so I always liked Tebow. He's got talent, just needs a coach to work with him. His arm is good enough and he can hit recievers in stride. Adjusting his setup and learning to read the defense will take a few years.

He's going to get plays in 2010, he'll be our Wildhorse's QB causing teams to prepare even more.

Tim will be/need to be built up and doesn't need rushed onto the field. Unlike Bradford who will be thrown to the wolves and most like get pounded into the ground.

It's best to let Tim get a feel for the NFL game, but also allowed to build up to starting quarterback much like Steve McNair was allowed to be groomed back in Houston/Tenn. McNair wasn't NFL ready when he came out of Alcorn and Fisher allowed him to develope slowly of a few years.

Some players can be rushed to the field and some need to sit and learn a get a taste.

Tim Tebow's time will be more than likely be 2012

Archer81
04-25-2010, 09:09 AM
I said the night before the draft I had a gut feeling we would take him at some point after the 22nd pick. I liked the dude before we picked him. I watched nearly every Florida game this season...namely because CBS tends to broadcast SEC games. So I got to see a ton of Tebow. I'm happy he is a Bronco, and hope Josh turns him into a great Bronco.

:Broncos:

Dedhed
04-25-2010, 09:16 AM
A 1st time HC with no success on his resume yet takes on a 2 yr project. Josh better hope he has at least 5 yrs here to see what team he fields.

Tebow will see the field this season in real games.

theAPAOps5
04-25-2010, 09:20 AM
We drafed tebow!?!?

We landed on the moon!?

http://fearandarrogance.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/dumb-and-dumber-man-walks-on-moon.png

Rocket 7
04-25-2010, 09:21 AM
This is what John Elway said about Tebow via facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/JohnElway

"So what do I think about the Tim Tebow pick? I think Tim's a high character, competitive, proven winner. Those are all attributes you want from the leader of your football team. Tim will have to adapt to Josh’s offensive system, which is quite different from the offense he ran in college. Tim has the smarts and work ethic to do it though. Welcome to town Tim, Denver is great place!!"

theAPAOps5
04-25-2010, 09:22 AM
Holy crap John Elway has a Facebook page!

listopencil
04-25-2010, 09:24 AM
This is what John Elway said about Tebow via facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/JohnElway

"So what do I think about the Tim Tebow pick? I think Tim's a high character, competitive, proven winner. Those are all attributes you want from the leader of your football team. Tim will have to adapt to Josh’s offensive system, which is quite different from the offense he ran in college. Tim has the smarts and work ethic to do it though. Welcome to town Tim, Denver is great place!!"

I want to see Elway get wasted and start posting neckbeard-style comments on twitter.

zdoor
04-25-2010, 09:25 AM
I'm a Tebow fan and hoped we'd get him in the 2nd. Was happy to get him regardless of what we traded. He's going to be a stud.

azbroncfan
04-25-2010, 09:29 AM

Agreed. I am sure if they wanted him they would of got nervous and traded up for him. You can't expect a guy like that to last til 26.

chex
04-25-2010, 09:32 AM

Interesting in what wasn't said than what actually was....

Broncoman13
04-25-2010, 09:34 AM
Who here liked Tebow before Denver drafted him? I hated him before the draft and still don't really like him, but I feel like I am getting talked into him by everyon here.

So my question is who here liked Tebow before the draft and wanted him? I would normally turn this into a poll, but I have no idea how to do that.

I have always liked Tebow and been a big fan. I wouldn't say I was openly hoping we would draft Tebow, but all along I know I felt it would be cool if we drafted him. I think a lot, probably 95% of the people that don't like the pick, haven't seen him play much or listen too much to guys like Jamie Dukes, Priscoe, and the ESPN crew outside of Gruden.

You hear people say things like Tebow isn't smart or that Brady Quinn is smarter. Do these people realize that Sam Wyche, a coach that has worked with some pretty smart QBs (Montana and Esiason), says that Tebow is the smartest player he has ever been around? Then Josh McD spends a little bit of time with him and those same things are observed.

I guess my point is, a lot of people don't like this pick and it has more to do with the national media than the player himself. People don't like the pick because they are told they shouldn't like him as a QB. Same thing going into the draft. If we would have selected Sam Brandon at #25 everyone would have loved it... He got all the hype to be a top 10 pick my that national media, but again, I bet less than 10% of the people here have watched more than three or four of his games... They like him b/c the national media says they should.

Coach sees something special enough in Tim Tebow to move up and grab him... I think you can count on a whole more out of Tebow than just on field production. Tebow could bust, any player can... But he also has the ability and fire to be one of the best leaders at the most important position the NFL has ever seen. When you're drawing comparrisons to Roger Staubach in that regard you're a special type of leader. You're damn right I wanted him in the Orange n Blue, just didn't think it was possible.

Pony Boy
04-25-2010, 09:36 AM
I can't wait to see him run over 2 or 3 players dive into the end zone an get up and deliver the Mile high salute.....that will get him some love in this town.

Paladin
04-25-2010, 09:47 AM
I laugh at the people who wanted him, but "only in the second round". I will say mt opinion is that in two or three years, people will wonder why the Rams took Bradford and not Tebow. I think Bradford's shoulder will be problematic, and Tebow will just make plays and win games, and meet with the other "beleivers" in a prayer circle after the game.........

I do not watch much college ball. I have a life, you see. So, I had heard of Tebow, of course, but I was not as familiar with his stats and so on as many others were. So I watched the draft with no real expectations except that I had hoped that the picks would stregthen the Oline and maybe get a LBer, but other than that, I was open to anything. And the many mock drafts posted in the Draft Forum really showed that many around here were undecided about the "values" of players....

Tebow's selection was an interestng pick, to say the least. The degree of animation it caused Kiper and the vehemance it brought out was entertaining. The meltdown around here was just goofy and it felt like I was watching a comedy in blue. Gruden's remark about "dumbass coaches" I thought was actually directed more at Kiper (arm chair coaches reference).

But in the larger sense, the immediate and powerful PR that accrued to the Broncos was very interesting. People like the kid. And they are pulling for him. They will follow him and they will buy his jersey. They will watch the Broncos. What's wrong with that?

The cynics among us will always be cynically critical about whatever McD (or any other HC the Broncos might have hired ) does or does not do. Frankly, to use a value chart "argument" is just a reach for "absolutes" in an ambiguous, opinionated process. Who's to say that Bradford is "bettter" than McCoy or Tebow. Kiper? I'd like to see his Balance Sheet and see how much he gets form agents who want him to tout their clients. (That's an opinion, and is not open to debate.)

No, I didn't have much feeling one way or the otherabout Tebow before the draft, but I am impressed with the info about him, and 70% of the Mane just can't be wrong. Can they?

McD has steel cajones, and I am happy he is the Broncos' HC.....

Paladin
04-25-2010, 09:48 AM

Cynic.....

SoCalBronco
04-25-2010, 09:49 AM
I made several posts prior to the draft indicating that I liked Tebow......and that I thought his package of physical skills were second only to Jake Locker, who isn't in this draft. I did, indicate, however, that he would be a very good investment in the third round, but that we needed to use the higher picks for more pressing immediate need areas.

theAPAOps5
04-25-2010, 09:53 AM
I stated that I would buy a billboard with a middle finger and Mcd if he drafted Tebow at 11. After he traded back and got the WR I was ok with coming back in to get Tebow. He essentially used other teams picks to take a chance on Tebow.

As the weekend went on I found myself happy we got Tebow just because the gamble has a chance for a high payoff. That and he is just fun to watch play football!

Dogsweat
04-25-2010, 09:54 AM
I enjoyed Tebows play in College as well. I am glad the Broncos drafted him.

I hope this turns out postive.

Bronco Bulldog

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2008/writers/andy_staples/01/09/tebow.effect/t1_tebowlsu.jpg

Paladin
04-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Interesting in what wasn't said than what actually was....

And what would that be?

And how do you know? Please show links.....

Popps
04-25-2010, 10:05 AM

That's sort of what I assumed as well, until looking into his stats. I highly doubted we'd be interested in him.

But, after seeing how efficient he was as a passer, I'm on board.

Again, he wouldn't have been my choice in the first round, but you can't help but be excited about the prospects.

azbroncfan
04-25-2010, 10:06 AM
I liked Tebow as a player and a person for the draft but I didn't want Denver to draft him in the first with other pressing needs. Now that the draft is over I am not as upset about it and if anyone can shorten the throwing motion it is Tebow. He work ethic is up there with Peyton's and isn't a Jamarcus work ethic. If Tebow turns into a stud he will be one of the biggest players in the NFL. They would love him to be their poster boy with the Big Ben's and Holmes's around these days.

NFLBRONCO
04-25-2010, 10:27 AM
Tebow will see the field this season in real games.

Gimmick plays yes

barryr
04-25-2010, 10:33 AM
I liked Tebow more as FB/TE type and still do, but interested in seeing him play QB. I thought he would get taken in the 2nd or 3rd round by a team that had multiple picks in that round, so was kind of right since even though a 1st round pick, taken by a team with another pick that round.

Mr.Meanie
04-25-2010, 10:35 AM
I did not want us to pick him at all. I was terrified we were going to use #11 on him, and we had huge needs at LB, WR and OL. But now that we traded down and practically got him for free, and then addressed WR and OL perfectly, I'm not upset with it at all. I'm excited to see what this kid can do, and cant wait for camp!

BMarsh615
04-25-2010, 10:45 AM
I laugh at the people who wanted him, but "only in the second round".

I wanted him in the second round because he wasn't "projected" to go and higher than that.

tsiguy96
04-25-2010, 10:47 AM
I wanted him in the second round because he wasn't "projected" to go and higher than that.

the TV analysts projections are frequently wrong, putting so mcuh stock into it that you HATE a broncos pick because it was a round earlier than they thought it should be is silly. he wasnt making it out of the first round.

Broncoman13
04-25-2010, 10:48 AM
Anybody seen TailGateNut lately? He swore that he would sell his tix and RV if the Broncos drafted Tim Tebow. There are some good comments in here regarding who liked and didn't like Tim Tebow: http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=90759

The general feeling was either stay away from him altogether or take him later than the first. I felt that he would be a first round pick, but didn't think the Broncos would be the one taking him. Glad it worked out the way it did. As many are now saying, this is a kid that is easy to get behind and cheer for.

Rocket 7
04-25-2010, 10:54 AM
Anybody seen TailGateNut lately? He swore that he would sell his tix and RV if the Broncos drafted Tim Tebow. There are some good comments in here regarding who liked and didn't like Tim Tebow: http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=90759

Dibs on his orange RV and the tailgate location

meangene
04-25-2010, 10:57 AM
I was ok with drafting him in the first but not by using both our seconds to move back up to get him unless we traded down with our first and picked up another second. As it turned out, we did that and gained an extra third as well. So, I was really happy with the first round. The kid really grew on me as we got closer to the draft - never cracked once with all the criticism and made amazing strides with his delivery in a short time. If he gets his passing skills to NFL level, he will be an incredible leader for this football team. I would not want to play against him. Or bet against him.

OBF1
04-25-2010, 10:59 AM
I am a huge Florida Gator fan and have seen almost every game he played. I wanted Tim, but not in the first... Was not mad when I saw that we got him. Real happy he is in Denver.

Abqbronco
04-25-2010, 11:20 AM
I'm an LSU fan and I am really glad they don't have to face him anymore. Seemed like that guy played for 10 years in college and he just won games while he was there. I never thought he would be in Denver but I am glad I get to cheer for him instead of getting pissed about that stupid dunk pass he smoked LSU on year after year.

OCBronco
04-25-2010, 11:56 AM
After watching him in the Senior Bowl, I thought there was no way in hell he would turn out to be a good pro QB. What changed my mind was watching the Gruden QB camp video. In the video, Gruden has Tebow do this drill where he tosses the ball to him and he has to get rid of it as quickly as possible — toss after toss after toss. This is one of those drills which gives you a good idea of what kind of habits a player has. Watch the video, and Tebow's motion stays compact throughout the drill.

Then watching how he talked about football with Gruden and hearing Gruden's comparisons to Mike Alstott, you can see Gruden practically trying to talk him into becoming a power fullback, and Tebow won't buy it.. he wants to be a QB worse than anything.

Then hearing what McDaniels and others had to say about him. Then hearing it from Tebow himself... the story about how he was willing to pay for his own hotel in Denver so he could get started learning the playbook. I was sold.

I tell you this. We haven't had a QB with Tebow's competitiveness, natural leadership, and mobility since Elway. There's no question about that. As far as the delivery goes, we'll see. Philip Rivers looks like he's trying to throw a watermelon into a swimming pool with every pass, and still manages to get it done.

Finally, I'm looking at McDaniels' track record. He has managed to make Matt Cassell look like an all-pro. He took Orton and made him look like a functional NFL qb last year. I have a hard time believing that McD won't be able to take a player with much better natural ability, work ethic, and competitiveness, and turn him into a gamer.

Bronco Yoda
04-25-2010, 11:57 AM

just think for yourself

hambone13
04-25-2010, 12:05 PM
good thing they take him 25th then!

I baffles me how much you love to chug homer c*ck. You're always there, like the meter maid to remind everyone how right you are. Makes me want to puke.

Doggcow
04-25-2010, 12:09 PM
Ive been hyping Tebow all year.

hambone13
04-25-2010, 12:19 PM
I laugh at the people who wanted him, but "only in the second round". I will say mt opinion is that in two or three years, people will wonder why the Rams took Bradford and not Tebow. I think Bradford's shoulder will be problematic, and Tebow will just make plays and win games, and meet with the other "beleivers" in a prayer circle after the game.........

I do not watch much college ball. I have a life, you see. So, I had heard of Tebow, of course, but I was not as familiar with his stats and so on as many others were. So I watched the draft with no real expectations except that I had hoped that the picks would stregthen the Oline and maybe get a LBer, but other than that, I was open to anything. And the many mock drafts posted in the Draft Forum really showed that many around here were undecided about the "values" of players....

Tebow's selection was an interestng pick, to say the least. The degree of animation it caused Kiper and the vehemance it brought out was entertaining. The meltdown around here was just goofy and it felt like I was watching a comedy in blue. Gruden's remark about "dumbass coaches" I thought was actually directed more at Kiper (arm chair coaches reference).

But in the larger sense, the immediate and powerful PR that accrued to the Broncos was very interesting. People like the kid. And they are pulling for him. They will follow him and they will buy his jersey. They will watch the Broncos. What's wrong with that?

The cynics among us will always be cynically critical about whatever McD (or any other HC the Broncos might have hired ) does or does not do. Frankly, to use a value chart "argument" is just a reach for "absolutes" in an ambiguous, opinionated process. Who's to say that Bradford is "bettter" than McCoy or Tebow. Kiper? I'd like to see his Balance Sheet and see how much he gets form agents who want him to tout their clients. (That's an opinion, and is not open to debate.)

No, I didn't have much feeling one way or the otherabout Tebow before the draft, but I am impressed with the info about him, and 70% of the Mane just can't be wrong. Can they?

McD has steel cajones, and I am happy he is the Broncos' HC.....

Great post. If nothing else, the Tebow pick is good for the Broncos for pure exposure. The limelight is burning bright. We normally fly so far under the radar that no matter whether we're immediately improved or not, at least we get to see our national exposure expand. It will suck however if it's in a Detroit/Cleveland/Oakland kind of way. I'm far from being a McDaniels supporter yet but the man does have balls of steel. I respect his bravery but it will be interesting to see whether it's arrogance or infinite wisdom. He's definitely growing on me. Anyone in his position that's willing to pull the trigger the way he has deserves some kudos.

Houshyamama
04-25-2010, 12:22 PM
I haven't really seen him play that much, so my opinion was formed by media and friends... both of whom are biased and unreliable. So... I really had no opinion.

Now that I've been watching him on film, I'm excited about the versatility he brings. I keep seeing him run it in for a TD at the goal line... I hope, hope, HOPE he can solve our redzone problems.

I can honestly see us utilizing more than 1 QB per game this year... Tebow in the redzone and Orton/Quinn between the 20's.

chex
04-25-2010, 12:35 PM
And what would that be?

And how do you know? Please show links.....

I wasn't implying that there was more said and not quoted, just that I didn't see that ringing endorsement from Elway that you would have liked. Elway never said anything about what a great pick it was, or what a great QB Tebow will be. His post was more of what we have already heard about Tebow (hard worker, high character etc.) I was looking for something a little more intrinsic, especially coming from a guy like Elway. Basically, he didn't sound like he was gaga over the pick

snowspot66
04-25-2010, 12:37 PM
I wasn't thrilled about it. I wanted to wait until next year for a QB. But he's here now and he has a lot of reasons to give me hope so I'm not upset. Especially with how well the rest of our picks went.

I need to ask my brother who we'll draft next year.

He called the Tebow pick before even last years draft.

tsiguy96
04-25-2010, 12:39 PM
I haven't really seen him play that much, so my opinion was formed by media and friends... both of whom are biased and unreliable. So... I really had no opinion.

Now that I've been watching him on film, I'm excited about the versatility he brings. I keep seeing him run it in for a TD at the goal line... I hope, hope, HOPE he can solve our redzone problems.

I can honestly see us utilizing more than 1 QB per game this year... Tebow in the redzone and Orton/Quinn between the 20's.

mcdaniels isnt going to switch out quarterbacks in the 20s and redzone, no chance. he may give tebow some goal line carries or use him in wild cat, but hes not going to switch conventional QB roles at all.

Broncochica
04-25-2010, 12:42 PM
I've been a big fan before the draft and was hoping for this move, funny I had a gut feeling about it the whole time. Anyways, my nephew plays for the Fl Gators and Tebow supported and encouraged him thru his decision when he was being recruited.
I really think he's going to be great and if your are a true Bronco fan, let him do his thing and support him! :gobroncos

listopencil
04-25-2010, 12:42 PM

I can see him running the "Wild Horses" formation better than Orton/Quinn. I'd like McD to work on him as the QB for that set this year. I'm hoping McD sees Orton as the #1, Quinn as the #2 and Tebow as the developmental 3rd stringer. As Tebow progresses I could see him moving up the depth chart over the next two seasons though.

listopencil
04-25-2010, 12:45 PM
mcdaniels isnt going to switch out quarterbacks in the 20s and redzone, no chance. he may give tebow some goal line carries or use him in wild cat, but hes not going to switch conventional QB roles at all.

I see it as more of a game changer. At some point in the game where their D seems to be reading our O too well throw Tebow out there. Right around mid field, see if he can get the chains moving and get the D off balance.

footstepsfrom#27
04-25-2010, 12:48 PM
I wanted Tebow a year ago...now that I know McD likes him I'm having second thoughts... :giggle:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2535280&highlight=tebow#post2535280

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2535280&highlight=tebow#post2535280

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2498228&highlight=tebow#post2498228

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2467891&highlight=tebow#post2467891

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2437904&highlight=tebow#post2437904

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2431760&highlight=tebow#post2431760

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?p=2423913&highlight=tebow#post2423913

Cosmo
04-25-2010, 12:52 PM
For those worried about his mechanics, watch this 2005 qb camp video, Tebow had proper mechanics here, they just never corrected him in college. They won't let him get into back habits in the pro's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5ZNcxv2eDc&feature=related

Houshyamama
04-25-2010, 12:58 PM
I see it as more of a game changer. At some point in the game where their D seems to be reading our O too well throw Tebow out there. Right around mid field, see if he can get the chains moving and get the D off balance.

Yeah, something like this. I wasn't saying that as soon as we cross the 20 McD will throw Tebow in there every time. I'm guessing he will be used early on as a change of pace QB to keep the D off-balance as listo said... this will get him some experience and speed his development.

Aftermath
04-25-2010, 12:59 PM
ive been a fan of the gators as long as ive been a fan of the broncos, so this is a dream come true

jayman_37
04-25-2010, 01:07 PM
just think for yourself

The reason I ask is that I never really watched him play, but the little I saw I wasn't impressed and now people say they watched him a lot and are impressed with him. So if I just thought for my own without having much background knowledge I wouldn't be very well informed.

ScottXray
04-25-2010, 01:09 PM
I didn't like the idea of taking Tebow in the first before the draft. Didn't like it when we did it , and to a small extent still don't, although he might pay off big. I would be pissed still, but McD killed the rest of the draft, and thats the only reason I'm not.

As far as Tebow in the wildcat he is definitely suited for that role well. However, I doubt we see him on the active roster much this year unless Quinn is NOT active. Denver doesn't like to carry three active QBs on game day, and that is what it will require, unless he makes the grade as a backup to starter on game day a lot faster then he probably will. Now McD may think he can carry him as a FB/RB , emergency QB role, and then put him in in the wildcat when called for. But as a backup he has a lot to work out first. And you need the active guys to be the ones that can go in. I don't see TT on STs.

I also worry about his head, as in concussions. He had a serious one last year, and the NFL defenses are not going to be shy about going after him, especially if he thinks he'll run over or through guys.. A few more serious hits to the head and TT will be out of play, and maybe the league.

So I, hope he takes a good long time to get prepared, and that McD didn't screw the pooch on this pick. time will tell

Broncochica
04-25-2010, 01:17 PM
I also worry about his head, as in concussions. He had a serious one last year, and the NFL defenses are not going to be shy about going after him, especially if he thinks he'll run over or through guys.. A few more serious hits to the head and TT will be out of play, and maybe the league.

So I, hope he takes a good long time to get prepared

I also thought about that, it's a concern.

Tombstone RJ
04-25-2010, 01:23 PM

I have to admit I was never a big Tebow fan. It's not because I didn't think he was good, it's because I'm a big time Arkansas fan. I just can't stand the Florida hype and Tebow was a big part of that. I seriously did not think McD was going to draft Tebow, even though every indication was that he loved the kid. I thought all that love was a smokescreen to pump him up for other teams to take him. Wow, I was wrong.

want2bAbronco2
04-25-2010, 01:27 PM
I have been really high on him, and wanted us to draft him! I wanted him in 3rd round maybe maybe late 2nd...i was kinda disapointed in a 1st round pick, but if they think he is the future then you pull the trigger. I am still very happy that he is in orange and blue!

gyldenlove
04-25-2010, 01:31 PM
I didn't and I still don't, so there.

epicSocialism4tw
04-25-2010, 01:43 PM
I didn't like him. Once they panned to him on the Florida sideline and he looked like he was being a huge douche to the waterboy. Stuff like that really pisses me off. I could give a sh*T if you take a trip to Africa and pretend like your helping people for the media. If your a d*ck to your waiter or the cabby or the waterboy then you can fk off for all I care.

The Tebows are a missionary family. Missionaries are the cream of the crop.

I'm not even sure what the incident you are talking about, but keep in mind that everyone makes mistakes.

Rohirrim
04-25-2010, 02:12 PM

Josh McDaniels. Do I win anything?

TonyR
04-25-2010, 02:24 PM
I also worry about his head, as in concussions. He had a serious one last year...

Wow, I forgot all about that, good call. I'm skeptical of this pick but hopeful. He's an easy guy to root for but I really have my doubt. He won't fail for lack of trying, that's for sure.

broncobum6162
04-25-2010, 08:23 PM
I've had a mancrush on him since I saw the ESPN documentary on him about his senior year in high school and how Florida went about recruiting him. Made a point of watching as many Florida games as possible whenever they were on. I even started throwing out kudos of him 2-3 years ago and was told more than once he'll never make it. Anyhow, I'm really gloating over this one. I've not been this excited about a our new toy since we drafted Elway.:welcome::wiggle::strong:

Mogulseeker
04-25-2010, 09:36 PM
He annoyed me, a lot. After watching Gruden's QB camp, I hoped...

This

listopencil
04-25-2010, 10:27 PM

Link?

DBroncos4life
04-25-2010, 10:45 PM
I did.

spdirty
04-25-2010, 11:20 PM
I said I didnt like him because hardly anyone here liked him and I wanted to fit in.

Now that mostly everyone likes I like him too.

Broncos4Life
04-26-2010, 01:01 AM
Had nothing but respect for the guy. I felt like a 1st rd pick for him was too high initially. Heard all the criticism about him and believed some of the negative hype. Until I finally watched some game film I was pleasantly surprised by the "IT" factor he has. I was like holy ****! This guys a football player! Like the respect that Sharpe gave TD when the Broncos played in Japan. I know he hasn't stepped on the field yet, but I can't help but feel like he's the answer for the Franchise.

I also just met my Wifes grandparents. They out in Florida and they love the kid. They're Bears fans and they told me we got a special player.

Now we just have to be patient and hope he developes well. Plus pulling out a 1st rounder for the dude really shows him that the organization really believes in him when nobody else would.

_Oro_
04-26-2010, 06:50 AM
Link?

No, its nothing really. Just something I saw while watching a Florida game.

Anyway, I'm getting more and more excited about him being a Bronco. If nothing else we'll have passionate ball juice pressers.

jhns
04-26-2010, 07:05 AM
I had no opinion of Tebow the QB before the draft. I never really watched him. As for Tebow the person, I have always thought he was a big d-bag.

Other than that, I like the pick. At least it shows they aren't happy with Ortons performance. That brings me comfort as I do not want to watch much more of it. That is unless Orton gets a lot better in a short time.

Drek
04-26-2010, 07:11 AM
I stopped talking about Tebow when I heard Mayock repeatedly say that he thought we where a great fit for Tebow. Mayock and McDaniels have been pretty much on the same page the last two drafts, so if Mayock thought he was a good fit I figured there was a good chance McDaniels would too.

I'm not thrilled with Tebow in the first as a value pick, but I see the logic. You get an extra year or two of contract control and make sure you get him. Waiting for 43 could be an issue if someone jumps ahead of us.

Love the guy's athleticism and attitude. What my opinion ultimately boils down to is respecting McDaniels' choice to make this his career defining moment. It might be his Waterloo. It might also be his master stroke on making us an elite franchise. If you're going to bet on any one person to do that for you then Tim Tebow is probably one of the best to pick. He might fail but it won't be from lack of effort or desire.

toad
04-26-2010, 08:03 AM
Was "neutral" to him before - but certainly supported the pick as soon as it was made.

Arguably the greatest college football player of all time - hardworker, winner, and motivator. And, for me, the knocks on his mechanics are no different than Philip Rivers, Michael Vick, or Vince Young (all of whom were higher picks and have had NFL success).

He actually reminds me a lot of Rivers in terms of questionable mechanics but results on the field and in the locker room...and I think Rivers is among the top 5 QBs in the NFL.

Paladin
04-26-2010, 03:00 PM
I said I didnt like him because hardly anyone here liked him and I wanted to fit in.

Now that mostly everyone likes I like him too.

:spit:

chaz
04-26-2010, 04:59 PM
I was always hoping he would succeed, but didn't start hoping we'd pick him until I saw how he was able to transform his mechanics in only a number of weeks after the senior bowl. He will spend every waking moment becoming as good as he can be, and I'm very satisfied with that kind of player no matter what happens down the road.

And my faith in Tebow, as a dedicated athlete, is only multiplied by my confidence in McDaniels' ability to coach QB's. Whether you like him or not, that is one thing you can't take away from him.

rastaman
04-26-2010, 06:11 PM

Don't believe the hype go with your first hunch. Miracles do happen.......but Tebow is not a pocket passing proto typical QB and is not the quarterback of the future for the Broncos.

I see Tebow's future as a Bronco w/i McD's scheme as a hybrid red zone weapon in whatever offensive capacity McD can think of using him in

Ultimately I see Tebow's future as slot/TE receiver. I just don't know well he can catch the ball or whether he can be coached to eventually develop good hands.

bowtown
04-26-2010, 06:13 PM
Oh crap.

rastaman
04-26-2010, 06:19 PM
I stopped talking about Tebow when I heard Mayock repeatedly say that he thought we where a great fit for Tebow. Mayock and McDaniels have been pretty much on the same page the last two drafts, so if Mayock thought he was a good fit I figured there was a good chance McDaniels would too.

I'm not thrilled with Tebow in the first as a value pick, but I see the logic. You get an extra year or two of contract control and make sure you get him. Waiting for 43 could be an issue if someone jumps ahead of us.

Love the guy's athleticism and attitude. What my opinion ultimately boils down to is respecting McDaniels' choice to make this his career defining moment. It might be his Waterloo. It might also be his master stroke on making us an elite franchise. If you're going to bet on any one person to do that for you then Tim Tebow is probably one of the best to pick. He might fail but it won't be from lack of effort or desire.

If you look at Tebow's combine numbers they reveal his athleticism which could very well equate into Tim evolving into a pretty decent Slot/TE receiver. I wouldn't fault McD per say if he gave Tebow two years to see if he has the talent to be an NFL QB, but after two years is over and the obvious is for all to see, Tebow should start brushing up on his receiving skills and McD (if he's still in Denver) can still use Tebow's athleticism in the red zone.

rastaman
04-26-2010, 06:23 PM
Oh crap.

Tebow has suggested he will play another position if necessary should reality set in that he'll never be an NFL QB.:sunshine:

chrisp
04-27-2010, 03:01 AM
I don't get to see or hear much about college ball here in the Uk, so I'd heard of Tebow but I didn't really know what he'd done. What i did hear very early in the draft runup was that assertion that he was 'not an NFL QB' repeated ad infinitum by the draft 'experts' who seemed to think there was a question regarding whether he would ever even compete for a backup QB role. I swallowed all of that because I had no reason to do otherwise.

Its only since we drafted him that I actually read or watched some of the stuff that got posted on the mane. When you see the phenomenal stat line he put together, and when you see the likes of Chucky and Sam Wyche saying this kid is the real deal then suddenly your perspective changes.

The mechanics are an issue, no question. But it looks like a lot of the analysts have over-emphasised the significance of this. Bottom line is, if it wasn't for the mechanics, this kid would be a top-5 pick if not the #1 based on what he did at college and his prototypical size etc. Certainly McD thinks they are addressable, and he does have some pedigree as a QB tutor. If McD took a risk on a DE with technical question-marks then maybe I'd be more inclined to join the doubters, but QB is his key areas of strength and expertise, and as posted elsewhere on the Mane, he's not the only one who thinks this kid is something special.

He could fail, as any QB can - in fact, I would say that first round QBs have a less than 50% chance of fulfilling their potential. However, the upside of this pick is immense. Even those who do question the mechanics and don't believe in him, still accept that he has all the intangibles you could possibly want.

colonelbeef
04-27-2010, 05:48 AM
I have no idea what to think. It all depends on how his release and footwork develops.

All of the rah rah crap is just that, rah rah crap.

Ray Finkle
04-27-2010, 06:04 AM
I was pretty Meh about him.....While I think he can be a starter in the league, I don't know on what level. That being said, I'd rather have a QB project that has great mobility than a statue...