PDA

View Full Version : How Tebow Stacks Up

Drek
04-25-2010, 07:19 AM
I've heard some people say Tebow isn't athletic enough to continue his scrambling ways at the NFL level, so I thought I'd put together a fun little comparison.

Here are the workout numbers for seven players, lifted from CBSsports/NFL Draft Scout.

Player 40 Bench Vert 20 10 Broad Shuttle Cone

A 4.71 38 38 1/2 2.66 1.55 09'07" 4.17 6.66

B 4.34 18 32 1/2 2.50 1.48 09'05" 4.17 6.75

C 4.27 18 35 2.41 1.48 10'01" 4.18 6.86

D 4.40 19 43 2.51 1.54 10'10" 4.23 6.80

E 4.42 17 35 2.50 1.51 10'00" 4.34 7.12

F 4.52 18 35 2.56 1.53 10'05" 4.34 6.94

G 4.37 19 36 2.50 1.49 10'01" 4.33 7.00

Now I've been pretty outspoken in thinking that 40 times are a massively overrated stat for everyone but WRs and CBs, because they're the only guys who ever actually run anything close to that distance in a straight line. Compare these guys other stats like vertical (how explosive he is from a standing position), 10 yard dash (short range speed), 20 yard dash (intermediate speed), 20 yard shuttle (acceleration) and 3 cone (agility).

FYI, here's who is listed up there.

A. Tebow
B. Best
C. Spiller
D. Berry
E. Tate
F. Haden
G. Matthews

PS. I personally have a hard time believing Tebow put up 38 bench reps at 225 myself, but that is what CBS/NFL Draft Scout list him as having done at his pro day. Maybe its an error, but they got the rest of his pro day line right.

Garcia Bronco
04-25-2010, 07:32 AM
He's a freak with a great deal of potential.

titan
04-25-2010, 07:36 AM
I heard on the radio the previous bench press record for a bronco qb was 25 by Cutler. 38 is incredible. quarterback speed isn't as important as strength in escaping the rush, IMO.

BMarsh615
04-25-2010, 07:42 AM
I heard on the radio the previous bench press record for a bronco qb was 25 by Cutler. 38 is incredible. quarterback speed isn't as important as strength in escaping the rush, IMO.

Actually the bench press record at the combine for QB's was set by Cutler, tied by Brady Quinn, and beaten by Tim Tebow. :)

The Joker
04-25-2010, 07:44 AM

The fact that he's so quick over short distances is really encouraging.

It's obvious that is top speed isn't really comparable to any of the guys listed in the OP, but over short distances and in terms of mobility he's as good as any of them.

If McDaniels can turn him into an even average NFL pure passer, he could be something very special.

Jesterhole
04-25-2010, 07:55 AM
Dude is a beast athletically. He could easily be a fullback in this league, or maybe even a linebacker.

If he learns to run a pro offense and read defenses...

55CrushEm
04-25-2010, 07:55 AM
Actually the bench press record at the combine for QB's was set by Cutler, tied by Brady Quinn, and destroyed by Tim Tebow. :)

Fixed it for you.

rmsanger
04-25-2010, 08:10 AM
I think discussing how Tebow's girlfriend "stacks" up would be more fun!

Paladin
04-25-2010, 08:25 AM
I think we saw a pic of her somewhere, and half the damm Mane went blind. Them Christians got gals with potential.......

dsmoot
04-25-2010, 08:29 AM

Strength as an advantage is sure evident with Rothlesberger is on the move and someone gets a hand on him. I am not setting up anyone up saying this.

elsid13
04-25-2010, 09:34 AM
I don't why you are comparing him to running backs. He wasn't drafted to run the ball, that will only happen if plays breaks down, he was drafted to throw the ball. The question remains, just like it does for Vince Young, can he make plays from the pocket? Can he make all the throw required of NFL starting QB and quickly and accurately deliver the ball outside the numbers to his receivers? Can he squeeze the ball into the tight end when the guy is bracketed by Linebacker and safety?

robbieopperude
04-25-2010, 09:50 AM
I don't why you are comparing him to running backs. He wasn't drafted to run the ball, that will only happen if plays breaks down, he was drafted to throw the ball. The question remains, just like it does for Vince Young, can he make plays from the pocket? Can he make all the throw required of NFL starting QB and quickly and accurately deliver the ball outside the numbers to his receivers? Can he squeeze the ball into the tight end when the guy is bracketed by Linebacker and safety?

I for one believe that this will be his biggest challenge. I do disagree with you however on running the ball. Tebow's ability to run for first downs is going to blow peoples minds. In a couple of years he is going to make alot of defenses very unhappy when he leaves the pocket and runs for a first down on 3rd and 6. The dude is also going to be killer inside the 20 and with keeping drives going. I only pray he doesn't get injured.

robbieopperude
04-25-2010, 09:52 AM
His shuttle and 3 cone are great to use for es capability. Tebow is fast enough in short bursts that he will runaway from most DE's and half the LB's in the league.

elsid13
04-25-2010, 09:59 AM
I for one believe that this will be his biggest challenge. I do disagree with you however on running the ball. Tebow's ability to run for first downs is going to blow peoples minds. In a couple of years he is going to make alot of defenses very unhappy when he leaves the pocket and runs for a first down on 3rd and 6. The dude is also going to be killer inside the 20 and with keeping drives going. I only pray he doesn't get injured.

There is a reason that you don't see the option in NFL, no one wants to put their starting QB at risk. Running if it is the last option - like Elway, Youngs, McNabb, Cutler do - is fine, but we shouldn't see that option reads run like we saw Tebow do in UF. Tebow also going to need to learn how to slide because unlike college he isn't going to be able bowl folks over.

Drek
04-25-2010, 10:31 AM

I've seen a lot of people say his athleticism won't stack up at the NFL level. I'm just pointing out how that is simply not true. He is as athletic as the elite skill position talents in this draft.

He outweighs almost that entire list by 20 pounds or more and yet in everything but the 40 yard dash he holds his own.

Him running the ball won't make or break him as an NFL player, that depends on his passing ability of course. But he has elite athleticism for any ball carrier and that is one hell of a tool to add at the quarterback position.

Rohirrim
04-25-2010, 10:34 AM
I think Josh drafted him because he wants somebody to groom at the Mike. ;D

misturanderson
04-25-2010, 10:40 AM

The nice thing is that tebow isn't going to be expected to start in his rookie season. Even if Orton stinks up the place, Quinn will be put in his place. I think that having a year or two of development, without any expectations, does great things for QBs. Just look at Rodgers and Rivers.

The thing that I think separates Tebow from Young is mental toughness. Young, by all accounts, is borderline retarded and has some serious emotional issues, yet he is considered a promising young QB and was drafted #3 overall. Tebow is no Eric Decker, but he isn't an idiot and I think he has the mental capacity to read defenses, even if it takes him a couple of years to learn. In fact, the only things that Young really has over Tebow are elusiveness and 3" of height and the list of things Tebow has over Young is much longer.

I don't really understand why Tebow was considered a 2nd to 3rd round prospect at best while Young was considered a top 5 prospect when he came out. I guess it was just a bunch of hype over the NC game and the fact that he didn't get over-scouted his senior year.

Dedhed
04-25-2010, 10:53 AM
The nice thing is that tebow isn't going to be expected to start in his rookie season. Even if Orton stinks up the place, Quinn will be put in his place. I think that having a year or two of development, without any expectations, does great things for QBs. Just look at Rodgers and Rivers.

The thing that I think separates Tebow from Young is mental toughness. Young, by all accounts, is borderline retarded and has some serious emotional issues, yet he is considered a promising young QB and was drafted #3 overall. Tebow is no Eric Decker, but he isn't an idiot and I think he has the mental capacity to read defenses, even if it takes him a couple of years to learn. In fact, the only things that Young really has over Tebow are elusiveness and 3" of height.

I don't really understand why Tebow was considered a 2nd to 3rd round prospect at best while Young was considered a top 5 prospect when he came out. I guess it was just a bunch of hype over the NC game and the fact that he didn't get over-scouted his senior year.I have been thinking of Vince Young a lot lately, and like you, am at a complete loss as to why Young would be valued so much higher than Tebow.

Tebow is superior in every single category that you can apply to a QB except maybe top end speed, and it isn't even close. Young's throwing mechanics were at least as bad coming out of college, yet every pundit had Young rated as a top 10 pick and hardly any of them put a 1st round grade on Tebow?
Makes no sense at all.

I think Tebow's progression in Denver will parallel his progression at Florida. He was used in short yardage/red zone situations very early and quickly progressed into the starting role.

barryr
04-25-2010, 11:29 AM
This is why Tebow not making it at QB won't be so damaging since he can easily play different positions and still contribute in a big way.

azbroncfan
04-25-2010, 11:29 AM
PS. I personally have a hard time believing Tebow put up 38 bench reps at 225 myself, but that is what CBS/NFL Draft Scout list him as having done at his pro day. Maybe its an error, but they got the rest of his pro day line right.

He is built pretty damn stout and I believe he could do it. That is OL/DL area and probably doubled what busto Moss did. 38 is unreal.

azbroncfan
04-25-2010, 11:33 AM
I can't wait for the first 4th and goal from the three where the play turns to sh!t and a Tebow is scrambling for the goalline when a LB hits him at the 3 and we all drop our heads and then Tebow drags the guy into the endzone. He is going to run some guys over.

randomtask
04-25-2010, 11:58 AM
Just so everyone knows, the 38 rep on Bench press is not accurate. If it were then Tebow would be the top performer for the quarterbacks, and tied for fourth-best overall at the combine. I mean, Tebow's strong, but it's kinda rediculous to think that he's stronger than Ndamukong Suh.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#tp-tab-set-1:tp-grid-container-bench-press

I actually did some looking around the internet and found that apparently he bench pressed 185 for 38 reps coming out of high school, so that's probably where that number came from.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/082105/hig_19557306.shtml

SureShot
04-25-2010, 12:21 PM
His vert is a combine record, in comparison Vick's was 38 inches. Dude is definitely explosive.

Cito Pelon
04-25-2010, 12:32 PM
Tebow sure takes the heat off the rest of the rookies. It's all gonna be about Tebow and McDaniels. Look at the front page right now, 8 of the top 10 threads are about Tebow. After drafting a WR first and some top OL guys.

Rohirrim
04-25-2010, 12:35 PM
Tebow sure takes the heat off the rest of the rookies. It's all gonna be about Tebow and McDaniels. Look at the front page right now, 8 of the top 10 threads are about Tebow. After drafting a WR first and some top OL guys.

Yep. Poor Demaryius must be feeling like the lonely cowboy.

azbroncfan
04-25-2010, 12:45 PM

Of course. OL is a boring position and so is WR. QB gets all the glory and all the heat.

Drek
04-25-2010, 02:32 PM
Just so everyone knows, the 38 rep on Bench press is not accurate. If it were then Tebow would be the top performer for the quarterbacks, and tied for fourth-best overall at the combine. I mean, Tebow's strong, but it's kinda rediculous to think that he's stronger than Ndamukong Suh.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#tp-tab-set-1:tp-grid-container-bench-press

I actually did some looking around the internet and found that apparently he bench pressed 185 for 38 reps coming out of high school, so that's probably where that number came from.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/082105/hig_19557306.shtml

He didn't bench at the combine, the 38 reps number comes from his pro day, via NFL Draft Scout and CBS Sports.

Again, I question it myself. That seems like a crazy number for anyone short of a massive DL/OL.