PDA

View Full Version : best pick

FireFly
04-24-2010, 09:27 PM
Which is your favorite pick and why (taking into consideration where they were drafted and perhaps even who else was on the board at the time)

I actually like the Decker pick best - I think we were lucky to get him when we did.

Perrish Cox was another good pick based on where he fell to, but I'm surprised we picked him; doesn't seem like a McD kinda guy (from what I've read)

TheReverend
04-24-2010, 09:28 PM
Tim Tebow. The "Why?" is self explanatory.

iDENVER
04-24-2010, 09:31 PM
perish cox..great value for a late round corner with potential to be 1st or 2nd round pick if he didn't get into trouble.

Dr. Broncenstein
04-24-2010, 09:32 PM
I think the entire draft was great. I couldn't wrap my head around the Tebow pick for aobut 12 hours, but I'm starting to understand it. I loved every other pick. But if I had to pick a favorite, it would be the Perrish Cox selection. Great player in a tough conference, and got him on the cheap. I hope he has his shiat together... and if he fails it was only a day 3 pick. I can't wait to watch him play.

gunns
04-24-2010, 09:36 PM
Zane Beadles. I watch the Ute games and the fact that we improved our OL and he can play any place on the inside well. People have said we could have gotten him later but his stock had been rising. Plus I'm a Ute homer.

Doggcow
04-24-2010, 09:56 PM
Obviously Tim Tebow, so I took him out of my group and picked Cox, from a value standpoint.

randomtask
04-24-2010, 10:00 PM
Walton. During his time at Baylor, he was an absolute mauler, and had a total of 194 pancake blocks his last 2 years. That's an average of more than 8 per game.

He knows exactly how to bring the opposing player down, has a killer instinct, and gives 100% every down. He just wears down the opposition over the course of a game.

Mogulseeker
04-24-2010, 10:04 PM
The Decker pick was a steal.

Ugly Duck
04-24-2010, 10:11 PM
Zane. Versatile workhorse. You guyz would not have gotten him later in the draft.

Finger Roll
04-24-2010, 10:12 PM
Walton. Second best center in the draft in the 3rd round. I think he's a steal

theAPAOps5
04-24-2010, 10:12 PM
I totally picked Tebow because of the epic meltdown that occurred.

Doggcow
04-24-2010, 10:49 PM
I seriously think we have like 3 or 4 of the top 10 best picks in this draft.

Paladin
04-24-2010, 10:58 PM
Walton, He is an absolute brauler, and brings a mean streak to the middle of the OLine which will help tremendously in the running game. This year.

Eric Olsen does, too, but Walton is a Center by trade.....

I just like the big boys because they are proof that McD has a different system in progress than the powder puff game of the last three years of Shanahan's tenure.....

BowlenBall
04-24-2010, 11:41 PM
I seriously think we have like 3 or 4 of the top 10 best picks in this draft.

I think you may be right -- Decker, Cox, and Syd the Squid were on most draft sites' "Best pick in round XX" lists.

listopencil
04-24-2010, 11:41 PM
I really like the Decker pick. From a value standpoint and as a potential player.

hookemhess
04-24-2010, 11:52 PM
I wouldn't expect to see as much Tebow love as I've been seeing. I like it.

Tho I love the Tebow pick, Demaryius was my #1 WR in the draft and we sorely needed a WR after Brandon skipped town. I'm not gonna lie---a little pee came out when we pulled the trigger on Thomas.

OCBronco
04-25-2010, 12:06 AM
I liked the Tebow pick quite a bit. But I'm going go with Thomas, who was my favorite receiver in the draft. I remember watching some Georgia Tech games last year, and thinking, who is that guy? No one could stop him. If he hadn't broken his foot, he would have gone much higher than 22.

UberBroncoMan
04-25-2010, 12:07 AM
Decker. That injury pushed him out of the 2nd round and to us. Dude has a rediculously high catch rate and size and blocking prowess to go with it.

sisterhellfyre
04-25-2010, 12:20 AM
I'm also going with Decker as my favorite. I watch a fair amount of college football, whatever's on CBS and ABC, but a lot of it is just to pass the time of day on Saturday while I'm doing something else. Decker is one of the few players that I remember as a standout from last year.

The Tebow pick is growing on me. The last couple years I completely avoided watching Florida games because I didn't like Tebow's in-your-face-ness about his faith. It's fine that he doesn't push it on other guys in the locker room, but I couldn't stand the "John 3:16" in his eye black. I'm starting to appreciate some of the possibilities of just what he may be able to bring the Broncos, and I liked what he said about getting his own hotel room and going to work. That was impressive.

sisterhellfyre
04-25-2010, 12:23 AM
I think you may be right -- Decker, Cox, and Syd the Squid were on most draft sites' "Best pick in round XX" lists.

Hehehehee. That's going to make a lot of the McD haters' heads explode. The talking heads on ESPN, too. The rationalizations will be epic as they try to explain away McD's acumen in this draft.

Popps
04-25-2010, 12:31 AM
I totally picked Tebow because of the epic meltdown that occurred.

:thumbsup:

SouthStndJunkie
04-25-2010, 12:36 AM
The best value pick by round was Perrish Cox....5th round pick with early 2nd round talent.

J.D. Walton and Eric Decker were excellent value picks as well.

I really did not have a problem with any of our picks outside of Syd'quan Thompson, CB, California....I didn't think we needed to draft 2 corners.

NFLBRONCO
04-25-2010, 12:47 AM
The best value pick by round was Perrish Cox....5th round pick with early 2nd round talent.

I really did not have a problem with any of our picks outside of Syd'quan Thompson, CB, California....I didn't think we needed to draft 2 corners.

Makes Smith pick last year look even dumber.

Mogulseeker
04-25-2010, 12:47 AM
I'm not gonna lie---a little pee came out when we pulled the trigger on Thomas.

Does that mean you missed the Tebow pick because you were in the shower at the time and the picks were so close together?

baja
04-25-2010, 01:14 AM

Think that was a ST pick right there.

KevinJames
04-25-2010, 02:31 AM
Damn I was waiting for someone to say they love cox

we got a steal with him

Ratboy
04-25-2010, 04:32 AM
I like the Eric Decker pick.

FireFly
04-25-2010, 04:57 AM
JD Walton getting some real love in the poll; have to agree though, if Walton or Beadles end up starting and playing for consistently for us... well I'm excited about what good line play could mean.

FireFly
04-25-2010, 04:59 AM
Decker. That injury pushed him out of the 2nd round and to us. Dude has a rediculously high catch rate and size and blocking prowess to go with it.

Yeah dude is a great blocker (as far as WR's go anyhow!) :strong:

I think I read an ESPN article not too long ago about him being one of the best blocking WR's in college for years and years if not ever

Ratboy
04-25-2010, 05:18 AM
Strengths:
Terrific height and bulk --- Great natural athleticism --- Outstanding hands and can make the difficult catch --- Excellent ball skills and body control --- Polished route runner --- Tough --- Not afraid to work across the middle --- Runs hard after the catch --- Plays through pain --- Great blocker --- Smart with nice awareness --- Superb Work Ethic --- Leader.

Weaknesses:
Isn't explosive and lacks great speed --- Won't be much of a vertical threat --- Has short arms and small hands --- Not a great leaper --- Is not overly elusive --- Will have lapses in concentration --- Some trouble beating the jam --- Average strength --- Health / Durability is a concern.

Notes:
Was a three-year starter for the Golden Gophers --- A two-time team captain --- Named 1st Team All-Big Ten in 2008 and 2009 --- Also a standout baseball player for the Gophers and was drafted by both the Milwaukee Brewers (2008) and Minnesota Twins (2009) --- Earned All-Big Ten notice for his work in the classroom --- Senior season was cut short by a Lisfranc injury to his left foot, which required surgery and prevented him from taking part in the Senior Bowl or working out for NFL teams prior to the draft --- Could drop a round or two based on all of the uncertainty surrounding his health --- Also dealt with head, shoulder, ankle and knee injuries during his college career --- Some teams question whether he truly loves football or if he might one day leave to give the diamond a try --- Could thrive one he focuses his full attention on the gridiron --- Not flashy but a very good all-around pass catcher who profiles as that classic possession target at the next level

Ratboy
04-25-2010, 05:21 AM
I wonder why we took Thomas instead of Bryant? Bryant seems like he has much more upside.

i4jelway7
04-25-2010, 05:22 AM
Eric Decker-

We are going to love this kid!

remember the 3rd & 1 and 4th & 1 problems--- insert Tebow-- problem solved

ColoradoDarin
04-25-2010, 06:38 AM
Walton. During his time at Baylor, he was an absolute mauler, and had a total of 194 pancake blocks his last 2 years. That's an average of more than 8 per game.

He knows exactly how to bring the opposing player down, has a killer instinct, and gives 100% every down. He just wears down the opposition over the course of a game.

This. I wanted him over Pouncey and think he was the best center in the draft - we STOLE him in the 3rd round.

He's got a mean streak that we've been missing on our OL.

The Joker
04-25-2010, 06:53 AM
I wonder why we took Thomas instead of Bryant? Bryant seems like he has much more upside.

I'd imagine the whole character issue was a huge reason behind the decision.

But I think Thomas might also be a better fit for what McDaniels actually wants to compliment Royal and Gaffney as the other starting WR's. He's bigger and faster than Dez, and should give us a better big play threat.

Bryant is a more complete player, but I don't think McD was looking for a guy who would catch 100+ balls in a season, but rather a guy who can average near 16 yards a catch and really stretch the field and open things up for others underneath.

He's also a better blocker, which will be really helpful in our screen game.

My guess is that next year Eddie Royal will finally have the year we all expected from him in 2009. I just hope Thomas can be that big play vertical threat that he looks like on paper.

backup qb
04-25-2010, 07:04 AM
I liked the Decker pick best.

elsid13
04-25-2010, 07:08 AM
I am extremely surprised that Eric Decker is getting so many votes. He was nice college player, but I have concern with his ability at the next level, and add in the fact that he has history of injury issues (including the same injury Torain had) I think it is a stretch to believe that he going to be impact player.

The only player I believe that will have impact next season is Thomas. That because they will have on the field running fly routes. Of course that means that QB would actually throw deep to him. The rest will be bench players or special teamers.

The Joker
04-25-2010, 07:36 AM
I'm not expecting Decker to be a star, but he does look like a guy who has the potential to be a very solid possession receiver.

Great hands, big frame yet quite nimble for his size. Will never be a highlight reel type of player, but I would hope he can eventually take over Gaffney's role.

DawnBTVS
04-25-2010, 08:37 AM
Walton. Second best center in the draft in the 3rd round. I think he's a steal

This. I almost went with Eric Olsen but Walton's an absolute beast and mauler and is a great fit for a power run scheme. I think many Broncos fans will have a big fan favorite here.

Pony Boy
04-25-2010, 08:40 AM
I am extremely surprised that Eric Decker is getting so many votes.

Well, he's white and fits right in..........Let's just hope he's half the player Eddie Mac was....

Rohirrim
04-25-2010, 08:43 AM
I'll go with Decker. Without that Lisfranc injury, he's a first round pick. Three years from now, that could turn out to be the steal of the draft.

ayjackson
04-25-2010, 09:41 AM
Makes Smith pick last year look even dumber.

I'll bite. How exactly does the selection of a slow midget CB with the 237th pick of the draft make the selection of a CB in the previous year's second round "dumber"? Sydquan is headed to the PS at best. He is sixth or seventh on the CB depth chart and merely represented good value at that point in the draft.

Vegas_Bronco
04-25-2010, 10:24 AM
1) Thomas - conditional upon Rod Smith jumping in and helping him learn the tree
2) Cox - dude...if this guy stays away from trouble and learns from CB24, he could be a downright studd for years to come
3) Beadles /Walton - barring injuries these two should start next season - just too useful (both can move from spot to spot on the line). Give them a season to add strength and technique. Whichever possesses the most mental toughness will start before the other
4) Decker and Tebow here. Not sure how McD will use Tebow...but don't buy the hype that he's going to be our 3/4 and short HB. Tebow is a big question mark - he possesses all the desire and brains...but his skills and long ball are raw. No one tolerates a greedy QB that throws long ball interceptions and I think the NFL has a lot of unforgiving lessons to teach this kid. That said, he's his own master at this point. Steve Young started out as the 8th string QB at the end of his first BYU season...then went on to be 3rd/4th string QB with the 49ers...and eventually had some incredible seasons - the two have an uncanny resemblance. Tebow needs to work on his accuracy. Decker is a great hands guy...but again, NFL can punish tall WR's that are injury prone - with Orton leading him over the middle it could get nasty in camp. He's not going to beat out any of our existing WR's for a starting job but may see some rotational production.
5) Syd'quan Thompson and Olsen. Thompson is JMFW II, nuff said. He'll see ST duties but really won't be able to cover top flight WR's consistently in the NFL. Olsen will see backup duty.

SureShot
04-25-2010, 10:29 AM
Concrete cyanide

mattob14
04-25-2010, 10:31 AM
I've been a huge fan of Thomas and really wanted to see him in Orange and Blue, so he gets my vote. Here were my thoughts about six weeks ago:

Thomas may be my favorite prospect in this year's draft. Even if Marshall stays, I think he could be the deep threat this offense is lacking. I know there are concerns about his route-running, but really, we'd just need him to stretch defenses initially and he could be a great WR in 2 or 3 years. I'd love to move down from #11, add another 2nd, and pick up Thomas at the end of round 1.

sixtimeseight
04-25-2010, 10:40 AM
No one tolerates a greedy QB that throws long ball interceptions

Green Bay did for like 16 years. Chicago does right now.

montrose
04-25-2010, 10:55 AM
Decker was a nice pick, a guy that I think will become a fan favorite; Cox was a nice value if he can buy into the program and the lineman should come in and compete for starting jobs right now. But for me, Tebow is special - all kinds of special.

Mr.Meanie
04-25-2010, 11:40 AM
JD Walton - beast C in our most critical need area.

Looks like the love is spread pretty evenly here. Spectacular draft haul, imo.