PDA

View Full Version : Tebow and Quinn and Orton

Tombstone RJ
04-24-2010, 03:53 PM
Brady Quinn had great mechanics coming out of ND. From the ground up, he did just about everything right. Starting with his footwork and all the way to his release, he had the prototypical NFL qualities that teams like. Add to that he is a big kid, well built and not really injury prone. Not only that, he came out of an pro style offense.

Now tell me, how's all of that working out for him?

'Nuff said.

Now, look at Tebow. He's a lefty with less than stellar mechanics (and honestly, I can't remember on lefty ever, that was known as a perfect QB with his mechanics) and he's known to make plays outside the pocket. If you ignore his stats (which is assinine) and just point out his flaws, you do yourself a great disservice when looking at his upside.

Hey, I was one of the first posters here to say the Broncos gave up too much for this "project." That being said, he's a Bronco, he's tough, he's smart, he's motivated, he's a hard worker and he loves football. I'm on board with Tebow and I think McD will give him every opportunity to be the starting QB.

McD has upgraded the oline tremendously. He's made the oline a priority which hasn't been the case since, hell, I can't remember when. Orton will has a chance to be the starting QB and I fully expect him to win the position. That being said, I know Tebow will play. He adds an immediate dimension to this offense that will be exploited in goal line situations and when McD wants to throw a monkey wrench into an opposing defenses game plans.

Worst case scenario this coming season is Tebow runs the Wild Horse. Best case scenario is he beats out Orton due to his ability to pass the ball and immediately becomes the starting QB for the Denver Broncos. I don't think that will happen. But, I do think the Broncos are going to score a lot more points.

Cheers!

Garcia Bronco
04-24-2010, 03:55 PM
I can't disagree.

TheDave
04-24-2010, 03:56 PM
Worst case scenario this coming season is Tebow runs the Wild Horse. Best case scenario is he beats out Orton due to his ability to pass the ball and immediately becomes the starting QB for the Denver Broncos. I don't think that will happen. But, I do think the Broncos are going to score a lot more points.

Cheers!

I really hope that no one here actually believes that is going to happen.

Broncoman13
04-24-2010, 03:59 PM

LOL

Let him have his dream.

Tombstone RJ
04-24-2010, 04:01 PM

You did read the very next sentence, right?

Tombstone RJ
04-24-2010, 04:02 PM
Tebow is the X factor in the Broncos offense this coming season.

TheDave
04-24-2010, 04:02 PM
You did read the very next sentence, right?

LOL

Let him have his dream.

Sorry but I think it's only smart to nip this one in the bud... For the sake of this board i'm really hopping to lessen the "Start Tebow" talk :approve:

As far as the starting job goes the kid is getting redshirted.

Rohirrim
04-24-2010, 04:03 PM
My wife said, "I don't care what you say. I like Timmy Tebow." When I told her he decided to just get a hotel and stay here for the week instead of fly back home so he could start studying the playbook, she actually choked up for a minute. Hilarious! Of course, she chokes up at commercials. The point is, it's going to be tough around here.

Tombstone RJ
04-24-2010, 04:05 PM
My wife said, "I don't care what you say. I like Timmy Tebow." When I told her he decided to just get a hotel and stay here for the week instead of fly back home so he could start studying the playbook, she actually choked up for a minute. Hilarious! Of course, she chokes up at commercials. The point is, it's going to be tough around here.

I like your wife. She's a smart lady. How'd she end up with you?

Rohirrim
04-24-2010, 04:06 PM
I like your wife. She's a smart lady. How'd she end up with you?

It was my charm and sense of humor.

extralife
04-24-2010, 04:06 PM
Your best case scenario would be the worst case scenario. Even if Tebow somehow looked better than the other QBs in camp, it would be a complete detriment to his development to throw him out there. He simply has too much on his plate.

GoHAM
04-24-2010, 04:09 PM
It was my charm and sense of humor.

No seriously, how'd you blackmail her?

GoHAM
04-24-2010, 04:13 PM
Tebow will dress for all 16 games next year.

It will be eerily similar to his freshman year at Florida where he came in for short yardage/goalline situations for Leek/Orton.

I think he will be moderately successful this year and slowly develop into a capable starter, gay little girly leg kick and all.

I don't think he will ever be Peyton Manning but I believe (mostly hope) that he will be a winner.

Killericon
04-24-2010, 04:13 PM
I bet Tebow sees 4-6 snaps a game this season. I have no ****ing clue what'll happen next year.

Rohirrim
04-24-2010, 04:14 PM
I just hope he can play STs. ;D

SoCalBronco
04-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Roh married up.

Nice work, Roh. :)

Tombstone RJ
Your best case scenario would be the worst case scenario. Even if Tebow somehow looked better than the other QBs in camp, it would be a complete detriment to his development to throw him out there. He simply has too much on his plate.

You may be right. Even if Tebow outperforms Orton in TC, I seriously doubt McD puts him in as starting QB. Why? Simple. If he makes some mistakes the entire franchise will be the scrutinized ad nausium.

Better to let Orton run the offense and bring in Tebow for certain plays.

Rohirrim
Damn! The worst ****ing thing just occurred to me. There will be no ****ing way to get camp tickets this year. The Tebow groupies will fly up here from Florida and camp out at Dove Valley for days. ****!

Rohirrim
04-24-2010, 04:16 PM
Roh married up.

Nice work, Roh. :)

I've been married 20 years.

And that's to the same woman. :wiggle:

lostknight
04-24-2010, 04:19 PM
Let's see what happens. Last year Josh made a huge deal about competition, the awarded orton the job before things got rolling. He may do the same this year, no matter what he says re: competition.

TheDave
04-24-2010, 04:20 PM
Let's see what happens. Last year Josh made a huge deal about competition, the awarded orton the job before things got rolling. He may do the same this year, no matter what he says re: competition.

Once I saw simms play I understood why... ;D

Rohirrim
04-24-2010, 04:20 PM

He already said Orton is the starter.

Tombstone RJ
04-24-2010, 04:32 PM

Simms was a catastrophe. Again, he's another one of those prototypical QB looking guys that completely stinks when the ball is snapped.

Rock Chalk
04-24-2010, 04:37 PM
Brady Quinn had great mechanics coming out of ND. From the ground up, he did just about everything right. Starting with his footwork and all the way to his release, he had the prototypical NFL qualities that teams like. Add to that he is a big kid, well built and not really injury prone. Not only that, he came out of an pro style offense.

Judging Quinn based on his production in Cleveland with no supporting cast and horrendous coaching? Check.

'Nuff said.

Not really, but keep on keeping on douchebag.

Now, look at Tebow. He's a lefty with less than stellar mechanics (and honestly, I can't remember on lefty ever, that was known as a perfect QB with his mechanics) and he's known to make plays outside the pocket. If you ignore his stats (which is assinine) and just point out his flaws, you do yourself a great disservice when looking at his upside.

Fair points, but ignoring his crap mechanics, the run first, pass very little, rely on your defense to win games offense that he played in under Urban Meyer is also a disservice. Guy has no experience in a pro-style set and his release and mechanics are SO poor that it will take YEARS for them to get to NFL quality. PROJECT.

Hey, I was one of the first posters here to say the Broncos gave up too much for this "project." That being said, he's a Bronco, he's tough, he's smart, he's motivated, he's a hard worker and he loves football. I'm on board with Tebow and I think McD will give him every opportunity to be the starting QB.

He cries. McD wont give him any opportunity to start for at least 2 years and he had better show some remarkable improvement on everything about his QB game. Now you want to insert him at Fullback, that's a great option IMO but a first rounder on a fullback?

McD has upgraded the oline tremendously. He's made the oline a priority which hasn't been the case since, hell, I can't remember when. Orton will has a chance to be the starting QB and I fully expect him to win the position. That being said, I know Tebow will play. He adds an immediate dimension to this offense that will be exploited in goal line situations and when McD wants to throw a monkey wrench into an opposing defenses game plans.

Tebow will play in the Gimmick offensive sets like the Wild Horses and will be used primarily as a decoy. He will never start a game for the Denver Broncos and we drafted him in the first round. Epic Fail.

Best Case Scenario is that Dan Snyder loves Tebow so much he offers us a bag of peanuts for him and we trade him. Worst case scenario Orton, Quinn, Brandstater and the waterboy all get horrendously injured and Tebow plays as a starting QB.

Cheers!

Brilliant.

snowspot66
04-24-2010, 04:44 PM

You realize that he means the competition is on going correct? Lots of guys lost their jobs. Just because he was handed it to start doesn't mean he gets to keep it.

sisterhellfyre
04-24-2010, 04:51 PM
Hm.

Tebow and Quinn and Orton... oh my?

(Ya just gotta get the rhythm down.)

snowspot66
04-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Judging Quinn based on his production in Cleveland with no supporting cast and horrendous coaching? Check.

Fair points, but ignoring his crap mechanics, the run first, pass very little, rely on your defense to win games offense that he played in under Urban Meyer is also a disservice. Guy has no experience in a pro-style set and his release and mechanics are SO poor that it will take YEARS for them to get to NFL quality. PROJECT.

He cries. McD wont give him any opportunity to start for at least 2 years and he had better show some remarkable improvement on everything about his QB game. Now you want to insert him at Fullback, that's a great option IMO but a first rounder on a fullback?

Tebow will play in the Gimmick offensive sets like the Wild Horses and will be used primarily as a decoy. He will never start a game for the Denver Broncos and we drafted him in the first round. Epic Fail.

Best Case Scenario is that Dan Snyder loves Tebow so much he offers us a bag of peanuts for him and we trade him. Worst case scenario Orton, Quinn, Brandstater and the waterboy all get horrendously injured and Tebow plays as a starting QB.

Brilliant.

So he won't start for at least two years and then you say he will never start?

You're overplaying the mechanics problem. Two years to learn to throw a football? Please. If he fails it will because he doesn't have "it". First round QB's are always a crap shoot. Any QB is a crap shoot. Mechanics and physical ability are great but have little or no correlation to success other than the fact that the person needs to have the measurable just to make the league in the first place. It's just something we use to compare draft picks to previously successful QB's. After that it's anybody's guess.

If you don't like him fine. But don't throw out lame arguments for why he'll fail. If he fails it's because of what's between his ears.

PRBronco
04-24-2010, 04:55 PM
Aww, and here I was expecting a shot of them grabbing each others' crotches.

rastaman
04-24-2010, 05:06 PM
You may be right. Even if Tebow outperforms Orton in TC, I seriously doubt McD puts him in as starting QB. Why? Simple. If he makes some mistakes the entire franchise will be the scrutinized ad nausium.

Better to let Orton run the offense and bring in Tebow for certain plays.

Tebow will be a Kordell Stewart-Slash type of player for the Broncos. If he stays in the weight room he'll be able to play some TE, Red zone-FB and wild horse-cat player.

extralife
04-24-2010, 05:15 PM
I doubt he plays that kind of Kordell role. Kordell was fast and had some innate skills at WR. Tebow isn't fast. As a runner, his yards mostly came up the gut. That's not really something he's going to be able to do with any consistency in the NFL--and if he does, even if he excels, it'll be a short career. You don't put a guy you want to play QB in really physical places.

Popps
04-24-2010, 05:15 PM

As a Plummer fan, I thought you would be a guy who would appreciate having a versatile, mobile, gamer-type QB back in Denver.

I understand the concerns about him, but to say he'll "never start" is a pretty bold statement. I'd suspect he'll at least be a primary back-up before long.
(Which means in case of injury, he starts.)

I like Quinn's upside, too. I just can't see any logic behind assuming Tebow is a "fail" already. Josh McDaniels didn't make this pick without a ton of research and he understands the weight attached to this pick. He's got an eye for QB talent and a way of getting the best out of him. I wouldn't bet against him doing it with a guy as physically gifted as Tebow.

Anaximines
04-24-2010, 05:21 PM
McD has upgraded the oline tremendously. He's made the oline a priority which hasn't been the case since, hell, I can't remember when.

Clady

ScottXray
04-24-2010, 05:49 PM
I can't see Tebow starting as QB this year. And until he gets more zip on his deep Outs and deep throws he will be a ?, as NFL level defenses will thank him for the gift and take some to the house. That is one aspect of his game that needs to improve, and until he does he is not starter level. The ball is too slow to arrive, even if its accurate.

His mechanics he can improve, and he does have Slash type ability, so I expect he will get some plays this year. Not sure if McD will have three Active QBs much though, and until the above areas are straightened out, I doubt he gets much time at all, unless we can afford to have three active QBs in a game. Pre-season yes. Then look for him to sit most of the year.

Circle Orange
04-24-2010, 07:01 PM
I doubt he plays that kind of Kordell role. Kordell was fast and had some innate skills at WR. Tebow isn't fast. As a runner, his yards mostly came up the gut. That's not really something he's going to be able to do with any consistency in the NFL--and if he does, even if he excels, it'll be a short career. You don't put a guy you want to play QB in really physical places.

The guys he outran in college he won't outrun in the pros. What I'm hearing is that his mechanics are average at best, and not just the delivery. Supposedly his balls have weak spiral and are inaccurate as hell. Just sayin'.

PaintballCLE
04-24-2010, 07:03 PM

'Nuff said.

Cheers!

See he was never given a true chance with the browns. The browns went 10-6 with anderson......then they get rid of all the receiving threats and throw quinn out there for a couple games and then switch back to anderson. Quinn got hurt, and was never given a chance again. I am not saying he is going to be good.........but you can't for sure say he is bad when he was never given a chance to prove himself.

BlueCrusher
04-24-2010, 07:09 PM
Damn! The worst ****ing thing just occurred to me. There will be no ****ing way to get camp tickets this year. The Tebow groupies will fly up here from Florida and camp out at Dove Valley for days. ****!

Think about the seagulls in Nemo...

DBroncos4life
04-24-2010, 07:13 PM
I bet Tebow sales more jersey's then any rookie over the last 10 years.

Dogsweat
04-24-2010, 07:28 PM
I bet Tebow sales more jersey's then any rookie over the last 10 years.

I agree, I wonder if that was the real motive in drafting him?

PaintballCLE
04-24-2010, 07:31 PM
I agree, I wonder if that was the real motive in drafting him?

i read an article that cleveland made all their money back off of quinn throught jersey sales alone. So its possible haha

Tombstone RJ
04-24-2010, 09:07 PM

Brilliant.

Wow, who peed in your Cherios?

Tombstone RJ
04-24-2010, 09:09 PM
Clady

Foster

what's your point?

dsmoot
04-24-2010, 09:30 PM
The way I see it. Orton starts off the year. Instead of rising to the competition, he regresses from last year. McD gets incessant media pounding about Orton and his play. McD constantly reaffirms that Orton is the starting QB. The Broncos still play better than most expected and is 7 - 4 at Thanksgiving time. Suddenly, McD inserts the No.1 pick stating that he is starting the person that gives the Broncos the best chance to win and make the playoffs. The Broncos finish the remaining games 2 - 3 and miss the playoffs on the last week of the season. The veterans silently revolt because Orton is a players QB.

Tombstone RJ
04-24-2010, 09:34 PM
The way I see it. Orton starts off the year. Instead of rising to the competition, he regresses from last year. McD gets incessant media pounding about Orton and his play. McD constantly reaffirms that Orton is the starting QB. The Broncos still play better than most expected and is 7 - 4 at Thanksgiving time. Suddenly, McD inserts the No.1 pick stating that he is starting the person that gives the Broncos the best chance to win and make the playoffs. The Broncos finish the remaining games 2 - 3 and miss the playoffs on the last week of the season. The veterans silently revolt because Orton is a players QB.

Fiction is fun innit? Oh, wait....

Tombstone RJ
04-24-2010, 11:49 PM
dsmoot deserves a bump.

Taco John
04-25-2010, 12:01 AM
I would be curious to get Josh's opinion of Bradlee Van Pelt coming out of college.

Tombstone RJ
04-25-2010, 12:06 AM
I would be curious to get Josh's opinion of Bradlee Van Pelt coming out of college.

BVP. When an underwear is named after you, you are the schitznick.

bpc
04-25-2010, 12:21 AM
Hey, I was skeptical about Tebow. I'm not a fan of two year projects but you can't deny his intangibles. He's won everywhere he's been, he's broke all passing records in the state of Florida in high school, he's a two time national championship QB, he's a leader, and has the intensity and durability to hold up in the NFL while being a threat to throw and pass.

One of my key issues this offseason for Denver was upgrading the QB position. Without talent under center, a franchise is doomed. We got a quality arm in Quinn who has starting experience on the cheap, and we invested a late first on a QB who has tremendous upside. Kyle Orton is a run of the mill starter but he won't **** the bed and allows the latter two to catch on and learn the system.

I've been very critical of McD over his year in Denver but he got this thing right. QB went from being a huge hole after Cutler left to possibly being four deep. I have to appreciate that.

Let's hope Tebow can learn fast and keep improving those updated mechanics. They looked good at the pro day. Preseason will be fun this year.

16slayer24
04-25-2010, 02:13 AM
ebow maybe 1 of the best plaers ever too play college football

FireFly
04-25-2010, 03:34 AM
I like the Tebow pick - my problem is that in the 1st round you should be drafting players that are going to start most of the time. Not every once in a while like in gimmick offences.

nickademus
04-25-2010, 07:37 AM
The guys he outran in college he won't outrun in the pros. What I'm hearing is that his mechanics are average at best, and not just the delivery. Supposedly his balls have weak spiral and are inaccurate as hell. Just sayin'.

I am not a Tebow fan by any strech dude is a gamer and needs some work. But this argument is total horse sh!t you dont end up with 66% completion percentage and a 44 to 1 completion to int ratio while also being inaccurate. I dont like taking a first round project ever but I understand that he could help in goal line and short yardage as well as the wild horse. I really dont like trading up for a project but he is a bronco now so I will cheer for him and defend the bs that is out there just like every other bronco I cheer for.

The Joker
04-25-2010, 08:23 AM

Probably that he was a good running college QB who was a complete liability throwing the ball, even at the college level.

Obviously wouldn't translate to the NFL and therefore probably not a guy worth looking at.

Strange to bring Van Pelt into this discussion, was there any reason for it whatsoever given we're talking about Orton, Quinn and Tebow?

snowspot66
04-25-2010, 12:54 PM

I have to ask why? Yes there will be more guys that are fast in the pros but there won't be guys that are suddenly even faster.

The guy is strong, quick, and seems to handle himself well in the face of pressure. I don't know where the wobbly and weak throw issue is coming from. It doesn't matter the level of competition, 67% is pretty damned good so I tend to doubt that.

Like I said before. If he fails it will be because of his head and not his physical talent. The successful QB's all have something in their head that allows them to process the game in a way the busts don't have and that's something you just can't quantify. He's got all the physical talent he could ever need.

Circle Orange
04-25-2010, 03:18 PM
I have to ask why? Yes there will be more guys that are fast in the pros but there won't be guys that are suddenly even faster.

The guy is strong, quick, and seems to handle himself well in the face of pressure. I don't know where the wobbly and weak throw issue is coming from. It doesn't matter the level of competition, 67% is pretty damned good so I tend to doubt that.

Like I said before. If he fails it will be because of his head and not his physical talent. The successful QB's all have something in their head that allows them to process the game in a way the busts don't have and that's something you just can't quantify. He's got all the physical talent he could ever need.

But see, that's just the point. You still have to have some level of usable talent that applies to the position. So if a qb is slow footed, he makes up for it in study of the game, reading defenses and throwing. If he can run, he hopefully utilizes athleticism with throwing. But falling back on 'running' will eventually get the guy killed, since he'll take hits like a running back. THen what? Without proper qb skills to fall back on, he would be toast. I'm not saying the guy can't play, only that we need to wait and see! Everyone's gone loopy all of a sudden.