PDA

View Full Version : Pick #225: Syd'quan "The Squid" Thompson CB

Slade
04-24-2010, 02:16 PM
Notes from the Senior Bowl:

Corey Chavous raved about Syd'Quan Thompson's toughness and said he might be the best tackling corner in the country. His flaw is speed. Thompson does have return abilit thoughy. NFL draft scout is high on Thompson, believing he's a first- or second-round prospect.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=55976#ixzz0m3C8N5uD

Slade
04-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Biography: Four-year starter awarded All-Conference honors the past two seasons. Senior totals included 49/1/10 after 70/4/14 as a junior. Posting a career-high 78 tackles as a sophomore.

Positives: Aggressive cornerback with a polished game. Effectively diagnoses the action, shows a physical nature to his game, and stays with assignments. Fast up the field defending the run, forceful on the blitz, and has a nice burst to the play. Works well with teammates, displays a good head for the position, and works hard to defend passes. Fluid pedaling in reverse, smooth turning his hips, and displays a quick burst to the throw out of his plant. Sure-handed wrap-up tackler in the open field.

Negatives: Lacks the second gear and struggles staying downfield with vast opponents. Does not always correctly position himself to defend throws in zone.

Analysis: Thompson has been a very productive cornerback since stepping on the field at Cal in 2006. He possesses good ball skills yet his lack of playing speed will limit the types of systems teams will use him in.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2010/draft/players/49355.html#ixzz0m3D7sPM3
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

The Joker
04-24-2010, 02:20 PM
Seems like he could develop into a good nickelback.

Solid tackler, great agility but not very fast. Better in zone than man.

Nice pickup.

Slade
04-24-2010, 02:21 PM
His nickname is pretty cool too! Now we have "The Squid" and "Bay-Bay"

Tombstone RJ
04-24-2010, 02:22 PM
Mike Mayock, NFL Network
Here's a few of the recent picks that have caught my eye:

Denver drafted one of my favorite players in all of college football, Syd'quan Thompson. He's one of the most physical cornerbacks I've watched on tape. He's got quick fit, he's a tough kid, and he competes on every single snap of every single game. The problem is that you can't run 4.7 or 4.75 at his size and expect the NFL to draft you high. He will compete for a roster spot because of his intangibles and his toughness. An old-time GM once told me that short and slow is bad for a CB.

After that, with the very next pick the Rams took George Selvie from South Florida. He had a huge sophomore season followed by injuries and the arrival of Jason Pierre-Paul this season. His stock fell, but he's a tough and competitive kid who can get after the QB.

After Selvie, the Texans took Dorin Dickerson, who I had given a second-round grade to. He's an undersized H-back with explosive skills. He caught 49 passes for Pitt this season, 10 of which went for TDs. I knew my evaluation of him was too optimistic, but I don't understand why he fell all the way to the seventh round. He's an athletic mismatch, and I think the Texans got a steal.

Bronco CB40
04-24-2010, 02:25 PM
Mother****a!

http://gallery.mailchimp.com/c2a4ff809538c08eb89e69896/images/thompson.jpg

Hogan11
04-24-2010, 02:26 PM
Smells like a future conversion to S to me

Bronco CB40
04-24-2010, 02:26 PM
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/77/773206.jpg

http://images.athlonsports.com/d/15641-1/SydQuanThompson.jpg

http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2009/09/02/sp-cal03_ph1_0499466895.jpg

http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/slideshows/597/slideshow_59759/display_image.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/archive/0/0a/20091225121527!Syd'Quan_Thompson.jpg

Sodak
04-24-2010, 02:33 PM
I wonder why he needs an apostrophe in his name. Is it a contraction of something longer?

BroncoInferno
04-24-2010, 02:39 PM

Could be right. He seems too slow for CB, but may be physical enough to switch to S.

Slade
04-24-2010, 02:40 PM
I wonder why he needs an apostrophe in his name. Is it a contraction of something longer?

Cause The Squid is that bad-ass! Reminds me of another MFing CB :-)

Kaylore
04-24-2010, 02:46 PM
I'm not in love with trading a fifth for a short, slow corner.

Sodak
04-24-2010, 02:47 PM
Cause The Squid is that bad-ass! Reminds me of another MFing CB :-)

I call BS on that one. It's called illiteracy. A bastardization of the english language. When they don't know what the **** is going on, they throw a bunch of apostrophes and crap in where they don't belong. - End of R'ant.

If he was that badass, they would have used umlauts somewhere, not a frigging apostrophe.

I hope he can ball.

Dr. Broncenstein
04-24-2010, 02:48 PM

Beats the hell out of trading a first for a short, slow corner.

barryr
04-24-2010, 02:48 PM
Didn't the Broncos make a lot of trades involving draft picks and we're worried they don't have a 5th rounder for next year? How hard is it to trade and get a 5th rounder if really want one? Not hard.

BroncoSojia
04-24-2010, 02:49 PM
i'm not in love with trading a first for a short, slow corner.

:p

SonOfLe-loLang
04-24-2010, 02:49 PM
I'm not in love with trading a fifth for a short, slow corner..

They should make Syd'quan and Jammie do an afternoon radio show.

Play2win
04-24-2010, 02:51 PM

They should make Syd'quan and Jammie do an afternoon radio show.

"The Squid & Jam show" ;D

Requiem
04-24-2010, 02:53 PM

He will make our team and was a very good player at California.

Br0nc0Buster
04-24-2010, 02:55 PM
my guess is they view him as a gunner and just gonna play him on ST

very physical player, he is not afraid to tackle

BowlenBall
04-24-2010, 02:56 PM
"The Squid and Jammie Show" sounds like a live-action kids show from the 70s -- comes on right after Land of the Lost and just before Bigfoot and Wildboy.

oubronco
04-24-2010, 03:19 PM
Looks tiny in those pics

bpc
04-24-2010, 03:19 PM

Tell us how you really feel about the Alphonso Smith trade?

:rofl:

bpc
04-24-2010, 03:21 PM
CB was going to be a very real issue in a year or two when Champ's contract is up and we let him walk. Goodman is also 32 this year. We'll probably need to invest again but if Cox works out, I could see him being a starter and I like the competition between Thompson and Smith for the other spot as of right now.

Rohirrim
04-24-2010, 03:23 PM
He'll be an STs star if nothing else.

BroncoInferno
04-24-2010, 03:23 PM
CB was going to be a very real issue in a year or two when Champ's contract is up and we let him walk. Goodman is also 32 this year. We'll probably need to invest again but if Cox works out, I could see him being a starter and I like the competition between Thompson and Smith for the other spot as of right now.

I'm not ready to give up on Smith yet. He actually looked pretty good the first quarter of the season until he hurt his ankle.

EDIT: Sorry, I see you said Smith there. I still like him the best of our young CB prospects. He was so productive in college and I think he'll succeed. We have options either way.

Broncosfreak_56
04-24-2010, 03:27 PM
More dreads are always welcome to me. :P

Hogan11
04-24-2010, 04:45 PM
Could be right. He seems too slow for CB, but may be physical enough to switch to S.

It's hard to envision him as a CB in the Pros. I can see him as heir to Dawkins

BroncoInferno
04-24-2010, 04:52 PM
It's hard to envision him as a CB in the Pros. I can see him as heir to Dawkins

Maybe. I think at worst he helps out on ST, which is good for a late rounder.

Smilin Assassin
04-24-2010, 04:57 PM
Watchin some of the highlight films on Youtube (yes, I realize they are just the HIGHlights), this kid can ball.

I hate to draw comparisons, but he sure does remind me of D-will.

Taco John
04-24-2010, 05:24 PM
Beats the hell out of trading a first for a short, slow corner.

By this standard, Josh is showing some serious improvement.

Doggcow
04-24-2010, 05:53 PM
As a PAC-10 fan, I really like Syd'Quan. This kid is awesome, complete corner, and absolutely a ball hawk. He was "shutdown" last year for sure, and was a total beast.

Hogan11
04-24-2010, 05:58 PM
As a PAC-10 fan, I really like Syd'Quan. This kid is awesome, complete corner, and absolutely a ball hawk. He was "shutdown" last year for sure, and was a total beast.

So his speed is really not an issue IYO?

gyldenlove
04-24-2010, 06:21 PM
Interesting, undersized corner with great ball skills who is quick but quite slow in a straight line and projects to the nickel, I feel as though we may have someone like that already..... does anyone else think this spells bad news for Al Smith?

Mediator12
04-24-2010, 06:26 PM
His speed is a problem, but he could ball in college. He compares very favorably to another overrated CAL CB Dante Hughes. He also looked like a late first early second for awhile until he ran a 4.7 40. He is extremely good in zone coverage, but he can not play press or off man to save his life in the NFL. This kid will be a role player and ST ace.

He does have great football character, instincts, and physicality. Not a bad guy to have as a fourth or fifth CB on the depth chart, but he will limit what coverages you can play him. He will not be a very good slot man CB and will struggle to play cover three in the NFL just like D-Will did.

Doggcow
04-24-2010, 06:44 PM
So his speed is really not an issue IYO?

He is physical enough to hold his own on the line and slow down WR's. I think he will be fine at the next level.

I personally favor ball skills and instincts for corners than pure speed. This kid has ridiculous ball skills and will be a great zone/nickel.

Dr. Broncenstein
04-24-2010, 06:47 PM
Interesting, undersized corner with great ball skills who is quick but quite slow in a straight line and projects to the nickel, I feel as though we may have someone like that already..... does anyone else think this spells bad news for Al Smith?

I sure do. Tony Carter (in limited duty) seemed like a better player Smith... then we signed Nate Jones. Add in the two draftees, and that leaves Smith as potentially the 6th or 7th corner on the depth chart.

Mediator12
04-24-2010, 06:53 PM
I sure do. Tony Carter (in limited duty) seemed like a better player Smith... then we signed Nate Jones. Add in the two draftees, and that leaves Smith as potentially the 6th or 7th corner on the depth chart.

They cut Jack, added Ty Law, and had injuries last year. You can NEVER have enough CB's on the roster in this new pass happy NFL. Plus, he will play ST's at a real high level right away in all phases as a returner and coverage guy.

outdoor_miner
04-24-2010, 06:58 PM
They cut Jack, added Ty Law, and had injuries last year. You can NEVER have enough CB's on the roster in this new pass happy NFL. Plus, he will play ST's at a real high level right away in all phases as a returner and coverage guy.

What do you think of Cox? I'm intriged by his potential (character concerns aside)...

Dr. Broncenstein
04-24-2010, 06:59 PM

Who, Smith? Wasn't he supposed to contribute right away with special teams last year?

Mediator12
04-24-2010, 07:00 PM
Who, Smith? Wasn't he supposed to contribute right away with special teams last year?

No, Thompson. Smith was hurt last year and never looked right after that.

Dr. Broncenstein
04-24-2010, 07:01 PM
What do you think of Cox? I'm intriged by his potential (character concerns aside)...

He was a solid corner and an even better returner in the Big 12. I would be suprised if he didn't contribute on a high level right away.

Dr. Broncenstein
04-24-2010, 07:03 PM

Sorry, but I was confused by your quote... I was referring to Smith having a tough time making the squad this year.

BroncoInferno
04-24-2010, 07:04 PM

Yeah, I actually thought he looked great in the first 3 or 4 games, thenthe injury threw him off.

Popcorn Sutton
04-24-2010, 07:06 PM

I agree. Anybody notice that the Pats seem to sign corner's fairly high in the draft almost every year?

gyldenlove
04-24-2010, 07:19 PM
CB depth chart:

Bailey, Goodman, Cox, Jones, Smith/Carter/Thompson

Mogulseeker
04-24-2010, 07:51 PM

Not at 5'9" 190

Dr. Broncenstein
04-24-2010, 07:52 PM
Not at 5'9" 190

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/wp-content/photos/BobSanders.jpg

Yeah... it would never work

Mogulseeker
04-24-2010, 07:53 PM
He is physical enough to hold his own on the line and slow down WR's. I think he will be fine at the next level.

I personally favor ball skills and instincts for corners than pure speed. This kid has ridiculous ball skills and will be a great zone/nickel.

Speed isn't so important for a CB in the man-flats coverage. He can bump WR's off the line and slow them down to the second level into Dawkins/Hill's zone will take care of him.

He is a good zone cover-2 corner.

Doggcow
04-24-2010, 07:59 PM
Speed isn't so important for a CB in the man-flats coverage. He can bump WR's off the line and slow them down to the second level into Dawkins/Hill's zone will take care of him.

He is a good zone cover-2 corner.

Exactly. He's also one of those guys that has that special ability to knock the ball out of a receivers hands consistently.

Mogulseeker
04-24-2010, 07:59 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/wp-content/photos/BobSanders.jpg

Yeah... it would never work

I'm just not a fan of safeties under 200 lbs - Sanders is pushing 210.

Especially at 5'9" - the benefit of being short in the NFL is a) being able to get low and drive through a tackle and b) having a lower range of motion in terms of rotating the hips.

A mostly benefits linebackers and running backs, and is the reason why we see some short linebackers and RBs, and I don't see him as a run-stopping SS.

B benefits corners and running backs.

Despite his speed, his skill set is better suited for the corner position, especially in press zone coverage.