PDA

View Full Version : The Denver Broncos 2010 Draft Class!

Rohirrim
04-24-2010, 11:17 AM
Ladies, Gentlemen and Others. Here it is:

1a. Demaryius Thomas, WR, Georgia Tech, 6'3", 224
On an offense known for its dominant rushing attack, Thomas' ability to stretch the field as a deep target kept defenses at bay. With his unique combination of size, body control and speed, scouts are hopeful that he'll continue the trend in the NFL.

1b. Tim Tebow, QB, Florida, 6'3', 236
One of the most decorated quarterbacks in the history of college football, the first sophomore to capture the Heisman Trophy had a glorious career at Florida. Whether he garners the same success at the professional level, on and off the field, Tebow was a true ambassador of the college game. His enthusiasm, character and competitiveness drew comparisons to former Navy and Dallas Cowboys great Roger Staubach.

2. Zane Beadles, OL, Utah, 6'5"
Regarded as one of the elite offensive tackles in college football, most professional talent evaluators view Beadles as the ideal guard at the next level. The four-year starter does have past experience at that position, moving from guard to tackle during his sophomore season. The consensus feels that he is the school's best offensive lineman since the Jordan Gross era (1999-2002).

3a. J.D. Walton, C, Baylor, 6'3", 300
A tenacious drive blocker who brings back memories of former Notre Dame and Kansas City Chiefs standout, Tim Grunhard, Walton should use some of his signing bonus to buy an IHOP, as he has truly mastered the art of serving up the "pancake" block while at Baylor. With 194 knockdowns to his credit during his last two seasons, what makes those numbers even more impressive is that he delivered 26 touchdown-resulting blocks for a running attack that scored 45 times on the ground in the Bears' last 24 contests.

3b. Eric Decker, WR, Minnesota, 6'3", 217
A two-sport standout, Decker has been compared by professional scouts to former NFL greats Don Maynard of the Jets and Raymond Berry of the Baltimore Colts for his outstanding hands, route-running ability and fearlessness going for the ball in a crowd. He's also an excellent blocker with a team-first attitude.

5. Perrish Cox, CB, Oklahoma State, 6'0", 195
After a U.S. Army All-American prep career in Waco, Cox made an immediate impact for the Cowboys. He returned the opening kickoff of the 2006 season for a touchdown, becoming the first 'Poke true freshman to do that since Barry Sanders in 1988.

6. Eric Olsen, C, Penn State, 6'4", 306
Feisty and aggressive is the best way to describe Olsen's play in the trenches. His versatility and powerful frame helped him dominate bull rushers, no matter where he plays on the field. His ability to play all three interior positions has talent evaluators comparing him to the Jacksonville Jaguars' Brad Meester.

7a. Syd'Quan Thompson, California, 5'9", 186
Thompson is a feisty competitor who has been a staple in the Cal defense for years. He's provided the Golden Bears with a lockdown defender in the secondary the past four seasons and holds the school record with 52 career starts. Despite his size, he is a physical player who challenges any receiver he faces. He has a knack for getting in between receivers and the ball, setting a school record with 36 pass deflections.

7b. Jammie Kirlew, DE/OLB, Indiana, 6'1", 260
Playing in the shadow of teammate Greg Middleton, Kirlew (whose first name is pronounced JAY-me) has put together an excellent career in Bloomington through hard work and determination. In fact, in both 2008 and 2009 he was named the Hoosiers' team Most Valuable Player.

(Notes from NFL Draft Scout)

Tombstone RJ
04-24-2010, 11:19 AM
Offense, and more offense.

Rohirrim
04-24-2010, 11:20 AM
One defensive player. That's something.

GreatBronco16
04-24-2010, 11:20 AM
I actually think McD had a great draft this year. Can't wait till camp starts up.

dsmoot
04-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Ladies, Gentlemen and Others. Here it is:

1a. Demaryius Thomas, WR, Georgia Tech, 6'3", 224
On an offense known for its dominant rushing attack, Thomas' ability to stretch the field as a deep target kept defenses at bay. With his unique combination of size, body control and speed, scouts are hopeful that he'll continue the trend in the NFL.

1b. Tim Tebow, QB, Florida, 6'3', 236
One of the most decorated quarterbacks in the history of college football, the first sophomore to capture the Heisman Trophy had a glorious career at Florida. Whether he garners the same success at the professional level, on and off the field, Tebow was a true ambassador of the college game. His enthusiasm, character and competitiveness drew comparisons to former Navy and Dallas Cowboys great Roger Staubach.

2. Zane Beadles, OL, Utah, 6'5"
Regarded as one of the elite offensive tackles in college football, most professional talent evaluators view Beadles as the ideal guard at the next level. The four-year starter does have past experience at that position, moving from guard to tackle during his sophomore season. The consensus feels that he is the school's best offensive lineman since the Jordan Gross era (1999-2002).

3a. J.D. Walton, C, Baylor, 6'3", 300
A tenacious drive blocker who brings back memories of former Notre Dame and Kansas City Chiefs standout, Tim Grunhard, Walton should use some of his signing bonus to buy an IHOP, as he has truly mastered the art of serving up the "pancake" block while at Baylor. With 194 knockdowns to his credit during his last two seasons, what makes those numbers even more impressive is that he delivered 26 touchdown-resulting blocks for a running attack that scored 45 times on the ground in the Bears' last 24 contests.

3b. Eric Decker, WR, Minnesota, 6'3", 217
A two-sport standout, Decker has been compared by professional scouts to former NFL greats Don Maynard of the Jets and Raymond Berry of the Baltimore Colts for his outstanding hands, route-running ability and fearlessness going for the ball in a crowd. He's also an excellent blocker with a team-first attitude.

5. Perrish Cox, CB, Oklahoma State, 6'0", 195
After a U.S. Army All-American prep career in Waco, Cox made an immediate impact for the Cowboys. He returned the opening kickoff of the 2006 season for a touchdown, becoming the first 'Poke true freshman to do that since Barry Sanders in 1988.

6. Eric Olsen, C, Penn State, 6'4", 306
Feisty and aggressive is the best way to describe Olsen's play in the trenches. His versatility and powerful frame helped him dominate bull rushers, no matter where he plays on the field. His ability to play all three interior positions has talent evaluators comparing him to the Jacksonville Jaguars' Brad Meester.

5 Offensive Players 1 CB (special teams) - I don't know if anyone saw this coming. We obviously need to upgrade on OL. No youth for DL, no LB. Are we done in FA???

Rohirrim
04-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Our offense has picked up some juice. Happiest Bronco at the end of the day?

Knowshon Moreno. ;D

DawnBTVS
04-24-2010, 11:22 AM
I like that he did end building along the lines and rather than getting JD Walton and "naming" him the starter, he also drafted Eric Olsen out of ND for competition. Should be a fun battle to watch in TC and Preseason.

Also don't forget that we could get competition with signing UDFAs (e.g. Micah Johnson if he goes undrafted)

Rohirrim
04-24-2010, 11:23 AM
5 Offensive Players 1 CB (special teams) - I don't know if anyone saw this coming. We obviously need to upgrade on OL. No youth for DL, no LB. Are we done in FA???

UDFA coming up. I hope they burn up the phone lines. This could be one of the hottest UDFA groups in history.

Dagmar
04-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Build the lines. That's what I asked for in January. He's done that.

Rohirrim
04-24-2010, 11:24 AM
I like that he did end building along the lines and rather than getting JD Walton and "naming" him the starter, he also drafted Eric Olsen out of ND for competition. Should be a fun battle to watch in TC and Preseason.

Yep. I'll bet they had Walton and Olsen as their two favorite centers on the board and just said, hell, bring them both in and let them fight it out. ;D

crush17
04-24-2010, 11:26 AM
We have a lot more depth at DL and LB than people are realizing I think.

Rohirrim
04-24-2010, 11:26 AM
Now, all those people who were giving my grief in the Draft Forum for putting two WRs in my mock?

Anything to say for yourselves? ;D

Paladin
04-24-2010, 11:28 AM

Sorry, but somebody always has to b**ch......

It's an OM tradition......

Rohirrim
04-24-2010, 11:30 AM
My first impression is, our offense just got a whole lot better. And I'm not even counting Tebow.

Paladin
04-24-2010, 11:30 AM
Now, all those people who were giving my grief in the Draft Forum for putting two WRs in my mock?

Yeah. You fot the wrong two.......

Dumbarse........

;)

gunns
04-24-2010, 11:31 AM

While I think the 2nd and 3rd days were very good I'm concerned, still, about the D. We may have depth but some of that depth is suspect. But we still have the UDFA. Overall, I'm very pleased.

SoDak Bronco
04-24-2010, 11:31 AM
Chris Baker NT was a big undrafted FA last season. it will be huge for him to continue to learn and develope with Vets like Jamall Williams and Bannon ahead of him. Also, Ayers will be starting, he was usually 1 or 2 steps away from making a lot of plays last season, I think with the 1 year of experience he will make a lot of those plays this season. Mario Haggen inside will do fine, he seems to have the range you need in the 3-4 scheme.

Rabb
04-24-2010, 11:34 AM

yes and everyone discounts the PS players, and upcoming UDFA class

come on people, we had the 7th ranked defense last season...we added a LOT via free agency and will continue to add after the draft I bet

it amazes me how anyone can bitch about us taking SOLID care of the biggest glaring hole on our team last season with the interior line

good God

vanbrugh
04-24-2010, 11:34 AM
Personally i reckon this will be one of the best ever UDFA!

Rohirrim
04-24-2010, 11:37 AM
Yeah. You fot the wrong two.......

Dumbarse........

;)

No. I had Benn and Decker. Well, at least on one of them. ;D

Inkana7
My only disappointment was not drafting an ILB. But other than that, I'm thrilled.

NYBronco
"6. Eric Olsen, C, Penn State, 6'4", 306"

Shouldn't that be Notre Dame?

Paladin
04-24-2010, 11:39 AM
Yep. I'll bet they had Walton and Olsen as their two favorite centers on the board and just said, hell, bring them both in and let them fight it out. ;D

Olsen can play all positions on the Oline. Beadles can play G and C. Walton can play G and C. Lots of flexiibility.

Broncobiv
04-24-2010, 11:39 AM
Can someone list all of the defensive players we've signed so far since the end of the season?

The draft is one way to improve your team, but so is FA. And since we went so offense-heavy in the draft, it'd be handy to see a list of the defensive players we've signed in the past few months.

SureShot
04-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Awesome draft. Bravo Josh!

Rohirrim
04-24-2010, 11:43 AM
yes and everyone discounts the PS players, and upcoming UDFA class

come on people, we had the 7th ranked defense last season...we added a LOT via free agency and will continue to add after the draft I bet

it amazes me how anyone can b**** about us taking SOLID care of the biggest glaring hole on our team last season with the interior line

good God

Just bringing in Jamal, Green and Bannan improved our defense a couple of notches.

Rohirrim
04-24-2010, 11:45 AM
Olsen can play all positions on the Oline. Beadles can play G and C. Walton can play G and C. Lots of flexiibility.

Plus, Calloway is still on the board. If he goes to UDFA, he would be the first guy I call.

broncocalijohn
04-24-2010, 11:48 AM

Do you want me to page Mock or has he already exposed himself in every other thread?

pokenation
04-24-2010, 11:52 AM
i have a feeling josh spent all this draft rebuilding the offense because next year's draft will be spent all on defense. no need to spread the draft thin.....make it deep on one side of the ball this year then the other side of the ball next year. it might not make us a 10-6 team next year, but if the right guys are brought in, it might make us a 13-3 team in a few years

we all know we are not SB contenders right now, so why not build from the bottom up and bring in a lot of young guys that will be here for awhile, and stop bringing in stop gap type of guys and trying to replace them somewhere down the line.

just my .02cents

PRBronco
04-24-2010, 11:54 AM
I dunno, I'm gonna stay tuned in right until it's over. I wouldn't rule out McD trading a 6th next year for a 7th rounder if there's someone still left on his board that he likes.

Also wow I can't believe no one's taken George Selvie yet.

Rocket 7
04-24-2010, 11:58 AM
McDaniels live press conference coming up

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=349&videoID=2816&type=broncosTV&year=&month=

Rohirrim
04-24-2010, 12:06 PM
I dunno, I'm gonna stay tuned in right until it's over. I wouldn't rule out McD trading a 6th next year for a 7th rounder if there's someone still left on his board that he likes.

I agree. Might be a very smart move in this draft.

Dagmar
04-24-2010, 12:07 PM
"we are possibly done with the draft"

??

Cito Pelon
04-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Our offense has picked up some juice. Happiest Bronco at the end of the day?

Knowshon Moreno. ;D

Absolutely, could make his career. And Moreno will make those OL picks look good also. This is gonna make the Broncs a good between the tackles team. Moreno impressed me last year with his fearlessness. He's absolutely a between the tackles kind of guy.

DawnBTVS
04-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Also think back to last draft when the secondary was targeted intensely. So we've had two drafts where McDaniels has targeted DB in Y1 and Y2 he's targeted OL and WR.

Tombstone RJ
04-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Also think back to last draft when the secondary was targeted intensely. So we've had two drafts where McDaniels has targeted DB in Y1 and Y2 he's targeted OL and WR.

Next year will probably be defensive line... maybe.

Chris
04-24-2010, 12:11 PM
It wasn't intended to be all O. He said that himself... that's just the way it panned out given our board and who was taken ahead of our picks.

long beach bronco
04-24-2010, 12:15 PM
We may add a couple more pieces via UDFA or Free Agent but the 2010 team is pretty much set. Our defense is set for the 2010 season. 2011 will take care of itself with it's own draft and free agent needs.

long beach bronco
04-24-2010, 12:16 PM
I still wished we could have gotten a change of pace fast scatback, but oh well, we'll see what happens with what we have.

SJ Bronco
04-24-2010, 12:17 PM
do we have no more picks? Some good players left, including a safety and a TE

55CrushEm
04-24-2010, 12:21 PM

Didn't we trade away our 2011 6th rounder for Brady Quinn?

Taco John
04-24-2010, 12:28 PM
Josh McDaniels over two drafts: Offense wins championships

BroncoInferno
04-24-2010, 12:33 PM

McD kind of addressed this in his presser. He said that they had some linebackers they liked, but there is always a run early on guys who can fit into the 3-4 and they didn't want to reach on a guy just to fill a spot if they could get someone at another position who could fit in better. And 3 of our first 5 picks last year were on D, remember. Plus, most of the FA resources the first two years have been going towards defense.

Rabb
04-24-2010, 12:34 PM
Just bringing in Jamal, Green and Bannan improved our defense a couple of notches.

totally agree, and it makes the players we had already better

a big fatty in the middle alone will make our entire LB corps better

PRBronco
04-24-2010, 12:36 PM
Didn't we trade away our 2011 6th rounder for Brady Quinn?

I dunno, I'll take your word for it though. Knowing him he'd probably trade a 5th if he needed to, just to piss off the Mane Ha!

ColoradoDarin
04-24-2010, 12:38 PM
I'm going to say that we'll be trading Kuper to the Redskins... (okay, skins or Houston).

Dagmar
04-24-2010, 12:39 PM

Didn't we address areas on or D in FA?

Taco John
04-24-2010, 12:41 PM

Teams are built through drafts. Holes are plugged through FA.

BroncoInferno
04-24-2010, 12:41 PM

That was part of my point. Offense has been pretty much ignored in FA since MCD took over, while the defense has gotten the bulk of those resources. Plus, again, we had 5 of the first 62 picks last season, and 3 of those were defensive players. So I don't think he's short changing the D at all.

Taco John
04-24-2010, 12:45 PM
I didn't say he was short changing the D. I was just observing his philsophy. He drafts a lot differently than, say, the Baltimore Ravens or Pittsburgh Steelers.

BroncoInferno
04-24-2010, 12:47 PM
I didn't say he was short changing the D. I was just observing his philsophy. He drafts a lot differently than, say, the Baltimore Ravens or Pittsburgh Steelers.

His philosophy, as he explained in his presser, is to stick to the board. He said that the plan wasn't to take so much offense, but that was simply how the board fell.

SJ Bronco
04-24-2010, 12:48 PM
We needed A LOT of help on offense. Concidering we lost what little talent we had, we needed to build young. Besides, it wasn't much different under shanny. Offensive guys think about the offense. I think when the new D coordinator establishes an Identity, we'll have a better idea what we want to draft next year. Just look at it this way, if these picks pan out, we could be set on offense for quite a while. I mean we have YOUNG players at every position on O now. It's a rebuilding process. I call it the 3 year plan. The niners put thiers in motion last year and I think they are doing a good job.

diehardbroncosfan
04-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Can someone list all of the defensive players we've signed so far since the end of the season?

The draft is one way to improve your team, but so is FA. And since we went so offense-heavy in the draft, it'd be handy to see a list of the defensive players we've signed in the past few months.

DT- Jamal Williams
DE- Jarvis Green
DE- Justin Bannan
DE- LeKevin Smith (Re-signed)
CB- Nate Jones
S- Josh Barret (Re-Signed)

We definitely did not ignore the d-line, as both Green and Bannan will more than likely be here for a few years.

outdoor_miner
04-24-2010, 12:53 PM

Josh McDaniels over two free agent periods: Defense win championships. ;)

Just kidding... He really has seemed to go FA for D an Draft for O. Will be interesting to see if that continues.

razorwire77
04-24-2010, 12:56 PM
I am really pleased with this draft, and in particular day two and beyond.

We got a strong, physical play making receiver, and complemented this pick with a fearless possession receiver.
We got bigger, and more versatile across the entire interior line.
Anything we get from Tebow this year will be gravy, but I look for him to be a genuine threat in gadget, wild horses, and goal line situations.
All of our guys appear to be high character, high motor, high discipline players with the exception of Perrish Cox. However, if he gets his **** together, he could contribute right away as a returner/nickel/dime back.

I can't want for camp to start!

jutang
04-24-2010, 12:59 PM
Solid draft-- seems to be the new FO's strategy. Make some crazy trades in the first couple of rounds that causes the orangemane to go up in flames causing the server to crash. Then make a bunch of solid moves in the later rounds that no one can really bitch about.

I agree with most of Xanders/McDaniel's choices unlike Shanny's/Sundquist that had me going wtf!? Shanny/Goodman combo still the pinnicle of offensive drafting. It'll be interesting to see how the offense draft picks pan out
Moreno vs Torain, Hillis
Tebow vs Cutler
Thomas, Decker vs Marshall, Royal, Scheffler, Hixon
Beadles, Walton, S. Olsen, E. Olsen vs Clady, Lichensteiger, Harris, Kuper, Eslinger

PRBronco
04-24-2010, 01:00 PM
I dunno, I'll take your word for it though. Knowing him he'd probably trade a 5th if he needed to, just to piss off the Mane Ha!

:wiggle:

OCBronco
04-24-2010, 01:02 PM
Some thoughts:

- Some folks are wondering why the Broncos didn't take an inside linebacker. I think one reason why is that they think either woodyard or larsen or hagan can do the job next year. We'll see.

- Beadles, Walton and Olsen. That's quite a haul for the interior line. All three of those guys are absolute maulers.

- I loved the pick of Thomas and Decker. Just watch film on these guys.

- Perrish Cox looks like he can fill in and return punts.

- The Tebow pick will define this draft, which is kind of funny when you look at the other guys they took. Tebow, in my opinion, is a guy that you just don't bet against. He'll find a way to be successful in the league. If Tebow's throwing mechanics have indeed been fixed as it appears from what he says and the video, etc., the Broncos just got a ridiculous steal.

Pony Boy
04-24-2010, 01:06 PM
I'm very happy and I give McDaniel's a B+

ColoradoDarin
04-24-2010, 01:08 PM

But it's pretty much a carbon copy of the way NE drafts. And along with Pitt and Balt, NE had been one of the most successful drafting teams over the last decade.

Swedish Extrovert
04-24-2010, 01:15 PM
What was Parrish Cox's wonderlic?

If it is above 20, that means every player we drafted this year are high-IQ players.

Popps
04-24-2010, 01:16 PM
Teams are built through drafts. Holes are plugged through FA.

It is a shame the prior admin left the cupboard bare after 10 years of mismanaged drafts and FA periods.

But, we turned over the entire defense last season, and moved it from near last in the league to the upper half.

This year, it appears we're attempting to fix an offense that became stagnant and had trouble controlling the football.

Oh, and by the way... Mike Shanahan built his championship team as much through trades and free agency as he did the draft.

-A. Williams
-N. Smith
-Zimm (Trade)
-Tony Jones (Trade)
-Braxton
-Schlereth
-Eddie Mac
-Brian Habib
-Romo
-Maa Tanuvassa
-Crockett (Prior admin FA)
-Aldridge
-Lodish
-H. Griffith

Probably others I'm forgetting.

I certainly would have liked to see more defensive players taken this draft.
But, we drafted a number of guys last year and we've gone very heavy in D in FA.

McDaniels may believe he's got a better chance of developing offensive players... given his background, and signing more established defensive players via FA.

In any case, we went from worst in the league to the 7th overall ranked defense in one season. So, I suppose it's hard to complain a lot about progress thus far.

orange crusher
04-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Jumped the gun on this one. Maybe the thread should be re-titled "The Denver Broncos 2010 Draft Class, Well Almost" since they're back in for two more picks.

JJJ
04-24-2010, 01:41 PM
2010 NFL Draft Grades:

22. Demaryius Thomas, WR, Georgia Tech
Josh McDaniels drafts a guy who can't run routes or catch the football. Seems like a very natural fit. Poor Broncos fans. (Pick Grade: F)

25. Tim Tebow, QB, Florida
I can't bash this pick. Jimmy Clausen would have been the smart choice, but I am not going to make the mistake of doubting Tim Tebow. I'll be very surprised if he busts. He's going to kill himself to prove everyone wrong. (Pick Grade: Can't grade - biased)

45. Zane Beadles, G/OT, Utah
Filling a need is good. Obtaining a Round 3-4 prospect in the middle of the second round? Well, maybe the Broncos just had him rated higher than everyone else. Can't penalize them for that. (Pick Grade: B)

80. J.D. Walton, C, Baylor
Hey, Josh McDaniels made a great pick! J.D. Walton was a second- or early third-round prospect and fills Denver's biggest need at center. (Pick Grade: A)

87. Eric Decker, WR, Minnesota
Amazingly, Denver's third-round receiver might be better than their first-round receiver. If Eric Decker is healthy - and he does have his injury concerns - this is a solid pick. (Pick Grade: B)

137. Perrish Cox, CB/KR, Oklahoma State
Josh McDaniels makes a great pick in Round 5 because Perrish Cox was considered to be a third-round prospect. Champ Bailey and Andre' Goodman are getting long in the mouth (as Emmitt would say), so the Broncos needed to find a successor. (Pick Grade: A)

183. Eric Olsen, C, Notre Dame
Josh McDaniels drafts his backup center! Actually, this is a solid pick; the Broncos literally had nothing at center going into the 2010 NFL Draft. (Pick Grade: B)

225. Syd'Quan Thompson, CB, California
Syd'Quan Thompson was once considered by some to be a second-round prospect - until people realized that he's a short and slow corner. Thompson knows what he's doing, but short and slow corners seldom succeed in the NFL. Still, the Broncos are getting great value in the middle of Round 7. (Pick Grade: A)

232. Jammie Kirlew, DE/OLB, Indiana
I'm surprised Jammie Kirlew was drafted. Another pass-rusher to get after Philip Rivers is nice. (Pick Grade: C)

http://www.walterfootball.com/offseason2010den.php

Inkana7
04-24-2010, 01:45 PM
Can't run routes or catch. Hm. I hadn't heard that. Thank you, walterfootball.

The Joker
04-24-2010, 01:54 PM
Walterfootball is a potentially good site that is ruined by exactly the kind of thing you see with that Thomas draft grade.

If you don't like a pick, give some sort of proper analysis as to why.

BroncoInferno
04-24-2010, 01:58 PM
2010 NFL Draft Grades:

22. Demaryius Thomas, WR, Georgia Tech
Josh McDaniels drafts a guy who can't run routes or catch the football. Seems like a very natural fit. Poor Broncos fans. (Pick Grade: F)

What an idiotic take. He ran the routes he was asked to at GT. He certainly needs polishing there, but it wasn't his fault they didn't ask him to do more, and he has the smarts (34 on the wonderlick) to get the offense down. And can't catch? Dude had 1154 yards receiving (for a superb 25.1 yards per catch) last year on a triple option team! Ridiculous take.

ScottXray
04-24-2010, 01:59 PM
So overall Waltons gives us a B+, Oakland an A-, KC a B, and Sd a B+.

According to them the whole division did pretty well.
I only checked those 4,,,but I wonder if anyone got a bad grade.

Broncobiv
04-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Wait...I'm confused. Where did those last 2 picks come from? I stopped watching during the 6th round.

EDIT: Never mind! A 5th next year for 2 7th's today. Got it.

Rohirrim
04-24-2010, 02:11 PM
I give the Broncos an A, not even counting Tebow. ;D

cutthemdown
04-24-2010, 02:43 PM
Broncos will probably look to add a veteren center at some point.

BroncoInferno
04-24-2010, 02:59 PM
Broncos will probably look to add a veteren center at some point.

Could be, for insurance. Not sure you want to count on two late round rookies (though I like the picks). Kevin Mawae is still available.

Broncosfreak_56
04-24-2010, 03:11 PM
I love the draft. We are set on offense, and from the sound of it the corners we got are talented. I will not bet against Tebow, but I still wish we could have gotten him later, even though from looks of it Buffalo wanted him too. A-

long beach bronco
04-24-2010, 03:27 PM
Something tells me that Tebow will become Steve Young all over again.

Rohirrim
04-24-2010, 05:44 PM
UDFAs so far:
Clint Gresham, LS, TCU
Nathan Overbay, TE, Eastern Washington
Jaron Baston, DT, Missouri
Michael Palmer, TE, Clemson
Brandon Gillbeaux, DE, Delaware
Chris Marinelli, OT, Stanford
Marcellus Bowman, S, Boston College
Riar Geer TE Colorado
Chris Brown, RB, Oklahoma
Michael Shumard, OG, Texas A&M

UberBroncoMan
04-24-2010, 05:51 PM
What an idiotic take. He ran the routes he was asked to at GT. He certainly needs polishing there, but it wasn't his fault they didn't ask him to do more, and he has the smarts (34 on the wonderlick) to get the offense down. And can't catch? Dude had 1154 yards receiving (for a superb 25.1 yards per catch) last year on a triple option team! Ridiculous take.

He's had a few pretty big drops. Some where there was no one near him. Decker is actually far more sure-handed. Routs, he's had very little practice but he knows about NFL rout trees etc, so the big realistic knock should be he needs a lot of practice catching the ball... Darius Watts #2 wouldn't be fun.

Baba Booey
04-24-2010, 05:57 PM
Thompson sounds like a solid pickup. Guy with alot of experience against serious (PAC-10) competition.

There will be some fierce competition behind Champ and Goodman in camp.

Cito Pelon
04-25-2010, 09:01 AM
McD kind of addressed this in his presser. He said that they had some linebackers they liked, but there is always a run early on guys who can fit into the 3-4 and they didn't want to reach on a guy just to fill a spot if they could get someone at another position who could fit in better. And 3 of our first 5 picks last year were on D, remember. Plus, most of the FA resources the first two years have been going towards defense.

People do tend to forget about that, selective memory kind of thing.

Granted, after all the maneuvering to give up premium picks at 2, 3, 4 to get Tebow I can see how that irritates mightily a lot of people. I don't blame them for being irritated.

It sure looks like they nailed down the OL and WR positions for the future though, although the foot injuries both WR's are coming off of is a little worrisome.

gyldenlove
04-25-2010, 09:16 AM
Build the lines. That's what I asked for in January. He's done that.

Well technically he build the line, I don't see any defensive linemen in there.

Cito Pelon
04-25-2010, 09:41 AM
I'm very happy and I give McDaniel's a B+

B- seems fair to me at this point, because the FO went risky with Tebow and two WR's with foot issues. But, this Lisfranc injury doesn't seem to be the big deal it was years ago. Acquiring two big, skilled, blocking WR's plus addressing the interior OL, that's OK with me. I don't have a problem with big, skilled, blocking WR's and strong interior OL players.

I don't know how the secondary is gonna play out with Perrish Cox, Squid, McBath, Bruton, Barrett, Nate Jones, Phonz, etc. Hopefully the ST's improve with the draftees, but neither Cox nor Squid are big guys. Well, we'll see.

db56
04-25-2010, 09:43 AM
I'm very happy with this draft. Grade A Go Broncos!!

montrose
04-28-2012, 12:40 PM
BUMP - McD's 2nd draft compared to now, EFX's 2nd draft. Thoughts?

GreatBronco16
04-28-2012, 01:52 PM
Well this should be interesting if it gets the attention.

montrose
04-28-2012, 02:40 PM
Well this should be interesting if it gets the attention.

I figured so, especially since McD gets nearly as much criticism for his drafts as he did trading away Cutler and crew.

Kaylore
04-28-2012, 02:43 PM
Interesting bump.

KO5K
04-28-2012, 02:44 PM
Looked ok on paper, Tebow was the wildcard. It just proves that most players will bust.

All fans talk about how their teams 7 or 8 rookies will all contribute and turn into eventual starters, but it never happens. It's why you have to make good picks in the early rounds, which EFX have failed to do.

baja
04-28-2012, 02:48 PM
I give the Broncos an A, not even counting Tebow. ;D

and if you count Tebow?

BroncoInferno
04-28-2012, 04:54 PM
McD's 2010 draft was pretty good after an abortion in 2009. Each of the first five picks were/are starters. That's pretty unusal to get five starters from your first five picks.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
04-29-2012, 01:20 AM
Interesting. This draft was ok. But the 2012 version was meltdown worthy? I'm feeling better about this draft already.