PDA

View Full Version : Round 6 Pick - Eric Olsen - C - Notre Dame

MrPeepers
04-24-2010, 11:16 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/H_dWnZQb2Aw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/H_dWnZQb2Aw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>Overview

Smart Kid, Well Spoken, Intelligent

Feisty and aggressive is the best way to describe Olsen's play in the trenches. His versatility and powerful frame helped him dominate bull rushers, no matter where he plays on the field. His ability to play all three interior positions has talent evaluators comparing him to the Jacksonville Jaguars' Brad Meester.

Called by the UND the finest lineman in the program, Olsen lived up to that reputation moving into the starting lineup during his sophomore season. He answered the call at right offensive guard for the final six games of the 2007 season, started all year at left guard during the 2008 campaign and anchored the front wall for 12 starts as the team's center during his senior year.

At Brooklyn Polytechnic Prep, Olsen was named the 2005 New York Gatorade Player of the Year. Lining up at left offensive tackle and defensive end, the three-year starter blocked for an offense that featured a 1,000-yard rusher in each of those seasons. Throughout his career, he never allowed an opponent to register a quarterback sack.

The team compiled a 5-3 record during his senior season, as Olsen recorded 53 tackles, eight sacks, three forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries in 2005. As a junior, he was selected the team's Outstanding Offensive Player. He also excelled in lacrosse, scoring 50 goals during his junior season, as the team captured the league title.

When he enrolled at Notre Dame in 2006, Olsen had to bide his time with the second unit, but managed just under 21 minutes of action through eight games as an offensive guard. The following season, he played in all but the one (Purdue) contest. After being used mostly on special teams and with the second unit, he emerged as the team's starter at right guard for the final six games.

Olsen was on the move again in 2008, taking over the left guard slot, as he started all 13 games. He was the team's most consistent blocker the first half of the season, but the entire front wall hit a rough patch in the second half. He would revive his game in time for the Hawaii Bowl, where he graded a season-high 98% for blocking consistency. He finished his junior campaign delivering nine touchdown-resulting blocks while coming up with 82 knockdowns.

As a senior, Olsen was named team captain and again shifted positions, as the coaching staff felt the Irish aerial game would succeed with their best lineman in the middle of the front wall. The Guardian of the Year Award winner (given annually to the team's top offensive lineman) allowed just one quarterback sack on 447 pass plays. He produced 84 knockdowns and had nine touchdown-resulting blocks, as Notre Dame improved its passing attack, ranking fifth in the nation (323.5 yards per game) after finishing 34th nationally the previous season (245.38 yards per game).
Analysis

Pass blocking: Strong anchor and good knee bend. Can mirror after initial contact against tackles. Likes to punch defenders when helping guards, knocking them to the ground at times. Keeps his man on the ground once he falls. Struggles with quickness and recovery, reaching and bending at the waist to pick up late blitzers and twists. Accurate shotgun snap with his head up facing the line. Sells run block fake on bootlegs.

Run blocking: Good drive blocker who pushes his man downfield. Keeps feet moving after first contact but will overextend and lacks flexibility to sustain against slippery quicker defenders. Also strong enough to turn his man out of the hole. Stays on first block too long at times, allowing linebackers to penetrate before he can get to them.

Pulling/trapping: Foot speed and change of direction abilities are not elite and has a bit of extra weight in the middle, but gives good effort to get around the line when pulling or trapping in front of run plays. Best when hitting stationery targets; will miss adjusting to oncoming defenders.

Initial Quickness: Gets hands up quickly into his man's jersey after the snap, even when man-up against nose tackles. Good initial punch, but it's not enough to knock his man back.

Downfield: A bit heavy-footed moving to the linebackers, but almost always finds a target to hit. Will go after two, three or four players downfield, playing through the whistle. Effective cut blocker downfield.

Intangibles: Charlie Weis called Olsen the line's "heart and soul." Durable lineman who fights through pain. Smart enough to make line calls. Plays with a nasty streak - knows his toughest opponent and goes after him all game long.
Career Notes

Olsen appeared in 44 games for the Fighting Irish, starting his final 31 games (six at right guard in 2007; 13 at left guard in 2008; 12 at center in 2009) … During his last two season, the lineman registered 166 knockdowns, 18 touchdown-resulting blocks and eight downfield blocks … He was penalized just once during his final 1,731 plays and allowed only four quarterback sacks and four pressures combined on 894 pass plays during his junior and senior seasons.
2009 Season

All-American honorable mention and All-Major Independent first-team selection by The NFL Draft Report … Recipient of the Guardian of the Year Award at the Notre Dame football banquet, given annually to the team's top offensive lineman … .Served as one of four team captains … Started all 12 games at center, allowing only one quarterback sack through 447 pass plays … Was the major reason that QB Jimmy Clausen had time to lead an aerial attack that placed fifth in the nation with an average of 323.5 yards per game … Notre Dame also finished eighth nationally in total offense (451.75 yards per game), as they averaged 30.08 points per game … The center delivered 84 knockdown blocks, nine touchdown-resulting blocks and four blocks downfield … Was penalized just once on 848 offensive snaps … Graded 85% or better for blocking consistency in seven games, including a season-best 93% in a fierce battle vs. the Southern California swarming defense … Produced a string of three-straight games where he did not allow his blocking assignments to record any tackles (vs. USC, Boston College and Washington State).
2008 Season

Olsen started all 13 games at left offensive guard, registering 82 knockdown blocks to go with nine touchdown-resulting blocks and four downfield blocks … Provided solid pass protection as the Irish averaged 245.38 aerial yards per game … Allowed just three quarterback sacks on 447 pass plays … Also made 61 appearances on special teams …

Graded 85 percent or better for blocking consistency in four contests, including a season-best 92 percent vs. Hawaii.
2007 Season

Olsen played in all but the Purdue game … Relegated to second unit duty and 59 snaps on special teams during the first half of the season, he started the final six games of the schedule at right offensive guard, earning his first collegiate starting assignment in the Boston College clash … The Notre Dame offense struggled all season, finishing dead last in the major college ranks (119th) with an average of just 242.25 yards per game … The front wall also gave up a nation-high 58 sacks for losses totaling 415 yards (4.83 sacks per game) … Olsen had a 7-yard kickoff return vs. Duke.
2006 Season

Olsen saw limited action in his first season at Notre Dame … The reserve offensive guard logged 20:45 minutes of playing time in eight games.
Injury Report

No major injuries reported.
Agility Tests

Campus: 5.22 in the 40-yard dash … 1.77 10-yard dash … 3.08 20-yard dash … 4.78 20-yard shuttle … 8.07 three-cone drill … 29-inch vertical jump … 7'9" broad jump … Bench pressed 225 pounds 35 times … 32 1/2-inch arm length … 9 1/2-inch hands.
High School

Attended Brooklyn (N.Y.) Polytechnic Prep Country Day School, playing football for head coach Craig Jacoby … Named the 2005 New York Gatorade Player of the Year … Lining up at left offensive tackle and defensive end, the three-year starter blocked for an offense that featured a 1,000-yard rusher in each of those seasons … Throughout his career, he never allowed an opponent to register a quarterback sack … The team compiled a 5-3 record during his senior season, as Olsen recorded 53 tackles, eight sacks, three forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries in 2005 … As a junior, he was selected the team's Outstanding Offensive Player … Excelled in lacrosse, scoring 50 goals during his junior season, as the team captured the league title … Attended Notre Dame's 2005 summer football camp.
Personal

Industrial Design major, enrolled in the College of Arts and Letters … Son of Joanne and Andrew Olsen … Born 6/16/88 … Resides in Staten Island, New York.

Chris
04-24-2010, 11:18 AM
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/343007/32486_notre_dame_olsen_football.jpg

Eric Olsen
6'4, 310 pounds | Center | Notre Dame
Awareness/Reaction: High football IQ that is capable of diagnosing a pass rush scheme and delegating the line blocking responsibilities. Quick thinker that can adjust to a last second surprise from the defense.
Balance: Gets top heavy, does not change direction well. Falls forward and takes too long to re-gain his balance in space.
Initial Quickness: Does not fire off the snap. Is usually reacting to the defender rather than getting after it right away. Stands out of his stance, making him even slower off the ball.
Movement/Space: Is not a fluid mover downfield trying to throw the extra block. Stiff and awkward at the second level, does not look comfortable.
Pass Blocking: Delivers his punch too high on the blocker’s body. Does not maintain the control when he is on a pass rusher by himself. Does not bend at the knees, appears to almost be standing straight up when engaged. Feet get stuck in mud.
Pulling/Trapping: Has plenty of experience at guard. Does not fire out with power when moving laterally as a trap blocker. Does not adjust well to the last second defender when moving laterally.
Run Blocking: Can get himself in the right position, hands are usually inside. But he does not lock on and his assignment makes too many tackles throughout the course of a game. Does not get the push against a powerful interior defensive lineman, too stagnant.
Size/Length/Hand Size: Has above average size for a center. Carries too much loose weight, needs to spend time in an NFL weight training program.
Strength/Explosion/Pop: Does not fire after the snap, does not deliver a pop. More of an absorber/catcher rather than an attacker.
Technique: Plays way too high, especially for an interior blocker. Butt is too high off the ground. Minimal knee bend with hands that are too high on the blocker. Does a nice job of keeping them inside however.
Final Word: There is a lot of technique work that needs to be done with Olsen before he can be trusted along the interior of an NFL offensive line. He does not have enough power in his game to make up for the sub-par use of hand placement and leverage. He is a smart player that enjoys the game and he was also a team captain for Charlie Weis at Notre Dame. While his ceiling is limited, Olsen could start down the road following a couple years of strength training and refinement to his technique.

lostknight
04-24-2010, 11:18 AM
Nice pick. We really have done some serious overhaul of the o-line.

Defense seems to be a bit starved though.

Hallside
04-24-2010, 11:19 AM
Eric Olsen is one of the biggest, strongest centers in the draft.

Paladin
04-24-2010, 11:20 AM
Oline backup.. Great depth.....

SoDak Bronco
04-24-2010, 11:21 AM
let the 2 young guys fight it out for center and may the best man win.

Rabb
04-24-2010, 11:25 AM
kid is a beast at guard also, man what an amazing draft this year

totally love it

I look to the team to take a hard look at the UDFA class and utilize the practice squad

NYBronco
04-24-2010, 11:28 AM
It looks like the Oline players picked can all play multiple positions on the line. I am pleased with this draft.

Broncobiv
04-24-2010, 11:31 AM
We drafted 2 centers, so as long as both of them can also play guard, then I guess it's a good thing!

bpc
04-24-2010, 11:39 AM
I love the Walton/Harris picks because they are both centers, both making line calls and adjustments and one of them is going to be playing guard next year. I can't speak for Beadles talent besides the fact he looked stiff in some videos I saw, these two guys are studs and will help us a lot.

BTW, this probably means Kuper is moving on. I doubt we resign him.

The Joker
04-24-2010, 11:43 AM
This guy seems to be a lot more raw than Beadles or Walton, more of a developmental project.

Seems like he can play guard too, could be a great back-up interior lineman to have in a couple of years if he can develop.

Baba Booey
04-24-2010, 11:48 AM
Great O-Line and receiver draft. Wow.

snowspot66
04-24-2010, 11:53 AM
I love the Walton/Harris picks because they are both centers, both making line calls and adjustments and one of them is going to be playing guard next year. I can't speak for Beadles talent besides the fact he looked stiff in some videos I saw, these two guys are studs and will help us a lot.

Why wouldn't we resign Kuper? We need all of these guys for depth. Our depth last year was really weak and we ended up needing almost all of it. It killed us.

HAT
04-24-2010, 11:58 AM

Why?

Won't it be:

Clady x Beadles x Walton x Kupe x Harris

Polumbus x Olsen x Olsen x Hochstein

Kaylore
04-24-2010, 12:08 PM
Olsen isn't quite as nimble as I like but I have to remember that we don't put a premium on athletic linemen anymore. Hopefully he can develop into some nice depth and maybe push to start in a few years.

Hoosier Bronco
04-26-2010, 07:01 AM
I was looking back over who we could have drafted......I can not believe Jonathon Dwyer was still on the board when we took Olsen. We can only dress seven linemen in a game...

Clady
S. Olsen
Walton
Kuper
Harris

Beadles?
Hochstein?

Isn't E. Olsen probably going to the practice squad....I would think that Dwyer would at least be the third option at RB and would be the short yardage guy.

PRBronco
04-26-2010, 07:12 AM
I was looking back over who we could have drafted......I can not believe Dwyer was still on the board when we took Olsen. We can only dress seven linemen in a game...

Clady
Olsen
Walton
Kuper
Harris

Beadles?
Hochstein?

Isn't Olsen probably going to the practice squad....I would think that Dwyer would at least be the third option at RB and would be the short yardage guy.

Don't forget Hochstein blew out his knee at very end of the year. They may be planning to PUP him, if he's not ready to go for week 1.

cmhargrove
04-26-2010, 07:56 AM
I was looking back over who we could have drafted......I can not believe Dwyer was still on the board when we took Olsen. We can only dress seven linemen in a game...

Clady
Olsen
Walton
Kuper
Harris

Beadles?
Hochstein?

Isn't Olsen probably going to the practice squad....I would think that Dwyer would at least be the third option at RB and would be the short yardage guy.

Beadles should be our guy at left Guard. I don't see them drafting him that high if they didn't want a starter. Other than that, I agree with the lineup.

kupesdad
04-26-2010, 03:14 PM
Why would Beadles be a left guard? Everything I've seen on him says he lacks athleticism, he isn't any bigger than anyone else we have and frankly I'm confused with this pick. I would have thought they would have gone with a big unathletic guy if they were going to draft that way.

Ben Hamilton> Beadles

cmhargrove
04-26-2010, 03:31 PM
Why would Beadles be a left guard? Everything I've seen on him says he lacks athleticism, he isn't any bigger than anyone else we have and frankly I'm confused with this pick. I would have thought they would have gone with a big unathletic guy if they were going to draft that way.

Ben Hamilton> Beadles

I was just making the assumption because Beadles has played left guard in his past (although its been a couple years). He also fits the McD profile of versatility, and pretty high intelligence.

I love Hamilton, and still probably don't understand his release, but maybe the concussion issue scared the Broncos staff a little. Honestly I can't speak for them.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-26-2010, 03:33 PM
I was just making the assumption because Beadles has played left guard in his past (although its been a couple years). He also fits the McD profile of versatility, and pretty high intelligence.

I love Hamilton, and still probably don't understand his release, but maybe the concussion issue scared the Broncos staff a little. Honestly I can't speak for them.

You can't understand why they didn't resign him? I can!

Ray Finkle
04-26-2010, 03:33 PM

Ben Hamilton> Beadles

I like the pick. He was playing tackle but think he makes in ideal LG. He grades out above average (2) in most categories.

OFFENSIVE GUARD SPECIFIC TRAITS
Awareness 2 Good football intelligence. Knows opponents tendencies. Takes good angles and shows excellent awareness in blitz pickup. Strong grasp of protection schemes shows up on film and does a nice job of staying at home when defensive line stunts.
Toughness 2 Not the most intimidating lineman in this class but certainly has some feistiness to his game. He's physical and aggressive. Also competes through the whistle.
Pass Protection 3 Shows adequate quickness in his set. Very good awareness in pass pro. Can mirror and slide in smaller spaces. Generally does a very good job with hand placement and works hard to sustain once locked on. However, he does have physical limitations in pass pro, which is the primary reason we believe he needs to play inside to be successful in the NFL. He has shorter arms and lacks ideal athleticism. Will struggle to get set versus upper-echelon speed rushers. Also plays a bit high at times and will get walked back into the QB by powerful bull rushers on those occasions.
Run Blocking 2 Takes good angles and consistently gets into position. Has a big frame, shows adequate upper body power and generally is able to get some push. He's tough and works hard to sustain once locked on. However, he is not an overpowering run blocker at the point of attack. Also, while he has adequate quickness and takes good angles, he is limited athletically so the more space he's in the less effective he becomes as a run blocker.

kupesdad
04-26-2010, 03:43 PM
Unfortunately getting walked back in college means you will probably be destroyed in the pros....the bullrush is passrush 101 so what does he have to rely on if he's getting walked plus he isn't very athletic to recover verses other pass rush techniques.. I'm typically not critical of the choices the FO makes but this one that makes me wonder.

Ziggy
04-26-2010, 03:55 PM
I think Beadles was drafted to play right tackle in the long run. I love the way Ryan Harris plays, but he can't seem to stay out of the trainer's room long enough to stay on the field. I see the starting lineup like this:

LT- Clady
LG- Seth Olsen
C- JD Walton
RG- Chris Kuper
RT- Harris/Beadles

kupesdad
04-26-2010, 04:02 PM
I would tend to agree except for the fact that he has short arms.. IDK i just want the o-line to be successful

BroncoBuff
04-26-2010, 06:45 PM
Nice pick.
Ahhh, just another Blake Schleuter.

Defense seems to be a bit starved though.

Everywhere but the secondary.