PDA

View Full Version : Round 5 Pick - Perrish Cox -CB- OK State

MrPeepers
04-24-2010, 10:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma_n9K3stn8

<object width="640" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ma_n9K3stn8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></object>

Strengths:
Terrific natural athleticism --- Ideal height and bulk --- Excellent speed with a burst to close and recover --- Quick and agile with nice change of direction --- Good leaping ability --- Soft hands and outstanding ball skills --- Superb instincts and awareness --- Smooth with fluid hips to transition --- Excels in both man and zone coverage --- Physical at the line --- Will tackle and support the run --- Elusive with great vision --- Is very confident with a short memory --- Also a prolific kick/punt returner.

Weaknesses:
Has some character issues --- Can be too aggressive at times and will gamble --- Footwork leaves something to be desired --- Tends to get tall in his backpedal --- Is not a real reliable tackler --- Takes some bad angles --- Short arms and small hands --- Durability might be a concern.

Notes:
Was a three-year starter for the Cowboys --- Named 1st Team All-Big 12 in 2009 --- Averaged 24.0 yards with 4 touchdowns (the Big 12 record) on 117 kick returns and also averaged 11.6 yards with 2 touchdowns on 60 punt returns during his college career --- Missed two games with an injury as a freshman and also dealt with injuries as a senior --- Already has three children --- Arrested in the Fall of '09 on charges of driving with a suspended license --- Was suspended for the Cowboy's Cotton Bowl appearance as a senior after missing a curfew, which ended his college career --- Supremely talented and possesses first round physical tools but isn't technically sound and intangibles are shaky --- Must keep his head on straight and get coached up a bit but has the ability to be a starter as well as a great return man in the NFL.
Career Statistics
Year GP TKL PBU INT YDS
2006 12 24 5 2 21
2007 13 42 8 2 0
2008 13 32 8 2 0
2009 11 36 15 4 12
Totals 49 134 36 10 33

titan
04-24-2010, 10:19 AM
Mike Mayock, NFL Network

137 -- Broncos -- CB Perrish Cox

His stock has been falling since he was suspended for the Cotton Bowl. He has first-round talent, and I gave him a third-round grade due to his off-field issues. Josh McDaniels feels like this is the time to take a chance on a very talented kid. He's much better in press coverage than he is in off-man. He brings special teams value to any team.

baja
04-24-2010, 10:21 AM
glad we are drafting ST players now

UberBroncoMan
04-24-2010, 10:22 AM
WTB Myron Rolle

baja
04-24-2010, 10:23 AM
Round 5 and lower is where you want to take a chance on talented character issue guys not the first round. Thanks for the great draft Josh.

long beach bronco
04-24-2010, 10:23 AM
Character issues? HUH? What's up with that MCD?

Rugby7
04-24-2010, 10:24 AM
good pick

Que
04-24-2010, 10:24 AM
I approve this pick

broncswin
04-24-2010, 10:25 AM
Round 5 and lower is where you want to take a chance on talented character issue guys not the first round. Thanks for the great draft Josh.

Agree baja...this has been one hell of a draft so far, lets go find those golden nuggets...great job McD:strong:

broncswin
04-24-2010, 10:27 AM
Character issues? HUH? What's up with that MCD?

LOL...ya we don't have to throw a ton of money to this guy...nothing wrong with this pick this late...but whatever you want to b*tch about go ahead

WolfpackGuy
04-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Not sure what they have in McKinley, but they needed a returner to take some heat off Royal.

Kaylore
04-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Not a bad pick, even for a corner that a ran a 4.5 with character concerns. We need a real return guy. Hopefully Cox can be it.

gtown
04-24-2010, 10:30 AM
Good value pick. And not a midget to contend with the NFLs bigger recievers.

Character issues are overblown. And the monastery that McD is piecing together with Tebow as the pastor is gonna need some unclean heathens to convert.

cabronco
04-24-2010, 10:30 AM
The dude has 3 kids already...Wow.

UberBroncoMan
04-24-2010, 10:31 AM
Dude... he's been arrested and already has 3 kids.

gyldenlove
04-24-2010, 10:32 AM
The dude has 3 kids already...Wow.

Another 5 years or so and he can join the Travis Henry, Antonio Cromartie club of having a full starting lineup with almost as many different women.

chex
04-24-2010, 10:32 AM
Averaged nearly 30 yards per KOR his junior season.

Doesn't hurt to go up against Dez Bryant in practice either.

long beach bronco
04-24-2010, 10:33 AM
brocoswin I wasn't bitchin, i like the pick, I was being sarcastic with how people are saying MCD only picks choir boys, DAMN!!!

MVP-06
04-24-2010, 10:35 AM
was probably a top 5 cb during the season. I like this pick alot

long beach bronco
04-24-2010, 10:36 AM
With the 6th pick, I hope they take a chance on Brandon James or Trindon Holliday, although real small, some real return guys who are lightning fast in the Sproles mold.

bpc
04-24-2010, 10:38 AM
Mayock said it the best and I feel the same. Guy is easily a 1st/2nd round talent. He's the press style CB that I love but he can play off and read and react with the best of them.

Excellent bump off the line and underrated athleticism for a big guy.

His ST's ability adds plus value to him as a prospect.

His character issues need to be inspected and people need to check him upon entering Dove Valley. Another high value guy that has the potential to shine down the road, like Eric Decker.

long beach bronco
04-24-2010, 10:38 AM
We might have drafted this guy for depth on special teams and returning, but he looks like he'll be competing for some real playing time in the nickel back spot.

bpc
04-24-2010, 10:40 AM
BTW, where's the DL?

bpc
04-24-2010, 10:41 AM
Just stepping out on a limb, I can see this guy as the successor to Champ Bailey. He has that type of ability. Now can we get his brain to work the same way............

The Joker
04-24-2010, 10:41 AM
Hmmm, strange pick to be honest.

Arrested, suspended for a bowl game and not invited to his own pro day, three kids already.

Guy is a world class asshole by the look of things, in all honesty.

Still, I guess he'll help on ST and is more corner depth. It's only a 5th round pick, so I guess we don't have much invested in him and can just cut him lose if he doesn't get his **** together.

UberBroncoMan
04-24-2010, 10:42 AM
****ING ****... Cam Thomas is a Charger.

TheReverend
04-24-2010, 10:44 AM

Arrested, suspended for a bowl game and not invited to his own pro day, three kids already.

Guy is a world class a-hole by the look of things, in all honesty.

Still, I guess he'll help on ST and is more corner depth. It's only a 5th round pick, so I guess we don't have much invested in him and can just cut him lose if he doesn't get his **** together.

That. Great talent that certainly doesn't fit the mold of what's being built in dove valley. Hope the locker room is strong enough or we have a spontaneous act of maturity.

gtown
04-24-2010, 10:44 AM
The healing can begin now, Perrish. Come and touch the Tebow.

BroncoSojia
04-24-2010, 10:45 AM

:rofl:

Archer81
04-24-2010, 10:46 AM

Tim Tebow once sneezed, and put out a forest fire.

http://tinyurl.com/297lqn8

:Broncos:

Popps
04-24-2010, 10:47 AM
Interesting pick.

I said we'd go BPA today, and it looks like that's what this is. I'm assuming the staff has done enough research into the kid to believe he's beyond his problems. (i.e. Baker last year.)

As someone already mentioned, you take him here... and he busts, it's not a huge deal.
You're only investing a lower round pick.

But, it does sound like he was a 2nd-3rd round physical talent. Let's hope we found a gem here, and he is on the straight and narrow.

Slade
04-24-2010, 10:47 AM
The true significance of this pick IMO is that he is an elite return man and will take over return duties that Royal had, and let Royal be fresh once again to return to good WR form.

cmhargrove
04-24-2010, 10:48 AM
Guys, I watch a lot of Oklahoma State football, and Cox is a great pick. Tremendous player at CB and KR.

Great value at this point in the draft. You guys will love Cox (did I say that?).

long beach bronco
Perrish Cox bowing down to Tebow and says: "I have sinned against you O lord."

Tebow: "all is forgiven my son."

Dr. Broncenstein
This guy is a fantastic DB with return skills. Watched him all year, and I'm really excited about this pick.

PRBronco
04-24-2010, 10:51 AM
Pretty sweet review of Cox during Senior Bowl week from Scott Wright:

"Coming into this week Oklahoma State’s Perrish Cox was battling Patrick Robinson to be the #2 senior cornerback and based on what I’ve seen it hasn’t been close. Cox just continues to make plays and today he came away with two more interceptions in 11-on-11’s. Physically Cox is every bit as impressive as Robinson but, unlike the former Nole, Cox has shown the ability to translate that talent into big plays on the field. The first round is definitely within reach for Cox in my opinion."

Paladin
04-24-2010, 10:51 AM
Guys, I watch a lot of Oklahoma State football, and Cox is a great pick. Tremendous player at CB and KR.

Great value at this point in the draft. You guys will love Cox (did I say that?).

LOL!!!!!

KR, Gunner, PR, backup dime back. We just need to organize a castration party......

oubronco
04-24-2010, 10:52 AM
McDaniels loves Cox

long beach bronco
04-24-2010, 10:53 AM
Perrish may indeed be a good CB and then we'll be back at square one trying to find a return man so that Perrish can concentrate on CB duties. That's why we need to draft Holliday or James, those two are nothing but return guys and are dynamic in getting good field position.

Br0nc0Buster
04-24-2010, 10:54 AM
good pick
we got great value with this pick and the decker one

Aftermath
04-24-2010, 10:57 AM
wish we would have gotten cam thomas

GoBroncos84
04-24-2010, 10:58 AM
Love the pick, low risk high reward. A guy that contribute immediately on special teams and be worked into certain defenses packages. If we can land a front 7 player in the next round that would make this an outstanding draft, if it isn't already.

bpc
04-24-2010, 10:59 AM

Guy is a world class a-hole by the look of things, in all honesty.

Hadn't read that. INterested to hear McD's spin on this after he purged the roster of all the "poor character" guys this offseason, only to add 'Travis Henry in training" here.

long beach bronco
04-24-2010, 11:02 AM
Character issues are no longer a problem in Denver because whoever comes here now will be born again because........."He is here." (15)

Elway777
04-24-2010, 11:09 AM
I think this a great pick for the Broncos.

Pony Boy
04-24-2010, 11:17 AM
McDaniels loves Cox

Hilarious! Brady really loves Cox

Bigdawg26
04-24-2010, 11:19 AM

Hilarious!

Chris
04-24-2010, 11:24 AM
I hope he comes in and roxes our cox off.

Rohirrim
04-24-2010, 11:37 AM

I forgot about that. At least Cox can find redemption at the feet of St. Tebow. It's a good thing.

vanbrugh
04-24-2010, 11:42 AM
The kind of guy that will HAVE to listen to the locker room ENFORCERS!

I'm sure Dawkins etc will have no problem policing his type!

broncswin
04-24-2010, 12:04 PM
brocoswin I wasn't b****in, i like the pick, I was being sarcastic with how people are saying MCD only picks choir boys, DAMN!!!

Oh my bad long beach...may have jumped the gun there:peace:

Doggcow
04-24-2010, 12:08 PM
LOOK AT 2:25, Holy ****. I love it.

uplink
04-24-2010, 12:09 PM
He looks good at CB on the film, like the pick. Noticed that he carrys himself with the confident air that NFL CBs have to have.

Popps
04-24-2010, 12:10 PM
Mike Mayock, NFL Network

137 -- Broncos -- CB Perrish Cox

His stock has been falling since he was suspended for the Cotton Bowl. He has first-round talent, and I gave him a third-round grade due to his off-field issues. Josh McDaniels feels like this is the time to take a chance on a very talented kid. He's much better in press coverage than he is in off-man. He brings special teams value to any team.

Wow.

atomicbloke
04-24-2010, 12:13 PM
What does this mean for Alphonso Smith?

Drek
04-24-2010, 12:17 PM
What does this mean for Alphonso Smith?

1. he doesn't need to dick around trying to be a returner anymore.

2. if Cox behaves he probably knows who will be opposite the field from him in a couple years when he takes over for Champ/Goodman.

Rock Chalk
04-24-2010, 12:25 PM
Cox is probably a better version of Darrent Williams from what I saw of his collegiate career and comparing it to DWill's career at teh same school.

Does gamble, but not as much as Darrent did, and is a better returner than Darrent.

mhgaffney
04-24-2010, 12:46 PM
Lets hope the kid will learn from Champ.

Baba Booey
04-24-2010, 12:46 PM
I like the pick. Hopefully he can earn some decent PT at CB.

DBroncos4life
04-24-2010, 12:56 PM
Stud :thumbs:

BroncoInferno
04-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Regarding the "character" issues, McD said pretty much the same thing as he did about Bryant: you have to make a distinction between true character problems and a guy who just made a couple of mistakes.

jutang
04-24-2010, 01:36 PM
Regarding the "character" issues, McD said pretty much the same thing as he did about Bryant: you have to make a distinction between true character problems and a guy who just made a couple of mistakes.

Having three kids already isn't exactly the same as going 15 mph over the speed limit.

OABB
04-24-2010, 01:38 PM
I'm sure sirhcyennek81 is happy. he loves cox.

sorry. had to.

jutang
04-24-2010, 01:41 PM
This article has me hoping, he's past his troubles... but then again substitute his name with Brandon Marshall and it's like reading an article from the Denver Post.

http://www.examiner.com/x-1778-Atlanta-Falcons-Examiner~y2010m2d28-Cox?cid=exrss-Atlanta-Falcons-Examiner

Steve Sewell
04-24-2010, 03:16 PM
I forgot about that. At least Cox can find redemption at the feet of St. Tebow. It's a good thing.

This would be a great verse for St. Tebow to use with Perrish, it may resonate:

2 Peter 3:9

The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.

Bronco Boy
04-24-2010, 03:24 PM
Perrish Cox bowing down to Tebow and says: "I have sinned against you O lord."

Tebow: "all is forgiven my son."

And Tebow sayeth onto him, "keep thy cox in thy pants, lest thou perrish."

BroncoInferno
04-24-2010, 03:25 PM

Hilarious!

barryr
04-24-2010, 03:30 PM
Broncos may have gotten a steal here. He was projected to go in the 2-4th round and his return ability could win him a spot just for that.

Popcorn Sutton
04-24-2010, 07:17 PM

That was good. Rep.

easymobee
04-24-2010, 07:26 PM
He was graded as the #2 CB to Haden and a 1st rounder in the magazine I got. Not bad .... Not bad at all.

cmhargrove
04-24-2010, 09:36 PM
He was graded as the #2 CB to Haden and a 1st rounder in the magazine I got. Not bad .... Not bad at all.

This is no lie guys, he's that good.

Honestly, watching him play in the Big 12 against very good competition, I never worried when they threw it his way. He is really excellent at press coverage, plays very phisycal, and will fight for the ball when it is in the air.

I hope good things for Alphonso, but I know this kid can play in the NFL. Count me in as a Cox lover. I mean, i'll be happy to have Cox in my backfield. I mean, Cox isn't really the dick they make him out to be. Cox plays with balls?

Whatever, you guys will like him come training camp - great player.

Doggcow
04-24-2010, 10:04 PM
If Cox turns out to be a stud, will all these assholes forgive the Smith pick if he doesnt turn into anything? I think that should be one of those "Balance" out type of things.

d bronx42
04-24-2010, 10:05 PM
He lead the nation in pass deflections with 15... Dude is an absolute ball-hawk!

Dr. Broncenstein
04-24-2010, 10:08 PM
If Cox turns out to be a stud, will all these a-holes forgive the Smith pick if he doesnt turn into anything? I think that should be one of those "Balance" out type of things.

No. I won't ever get over trading a future 1 for a second round pick, unless Alphonso magically transforms into a productive pro. Looks like the FO has all the confidence in him, as evidenced by the free agent signings and draft picks. I'll be holding my breath.

Mr. Trout
04-24-2010, 10:40 PM
Good value pick. And not a midget to contend with the NFLs bigger recievers.

Character issues are overblown. And the monastery that McD is piecing together with Tebow as the pastor is gonna need some unclean heathens to convert.

Ha! funniest thing I have read in a while.

Doggcow
04-24-2010, 10:44 PM
No. I won't ever get over trading a future 1 for a second round pick, unless Alphonso magically transforms into a productive pro. Looks like the FO has all the confidence in him, as evidenced by the free agent signings and draft picks. I'll be holding my breath.

McD could draft Peyton Manning in the 6th round and you would still be pissy about Alphonso.

Love the 20/20 hindsight everyone employs, like they knew everything ahead of time draft day too.

Carmelo15
04-24-2010, 10:47 PM

This is one of my favorite posts of all time! Rep!:spit:

ZONA
04-24-2010, 11:55 PM
I've watched some video on this kid and one thing he does excellent that alot of DB's don't do well (and that includes many in the NFL) is timing jumps right when the ball is in there air. This is such an important part of playing CB today with all the purposely underthrown balls and balls thown up for grabs in the corner of the endzones. This skill is not that easy to master believe it or not. I've seen more poorly thrown balls caught by WR's because the CB, who was in good position, just didn't time his jump well, or he missed putting his hand up at the right time or in the right spot. This kid has a knac for getting it right almost always. Excellent pick IMO.

Gcver2ver3
04-25-2010, 05:07 PM
watching the NFL Network...

Michael Lombardi and Steve Wyche were both asked who is the best late round draft choice of the draft and they BOTH said Perrish Cox...

said he may be the best man to man cover guy in th draft!

his character is obvioisly a concern, but man for a 5th round pick?...

what a steal...

gyldenlove
04-25-2010, 05:19 PM

Michael Lombardi and Steve Wyche were both asked who is the best late round draft choice of the draft and they BOTH said Perrish Cox...

what a steal...

Both our CBs were late round gems, they both had 1st or 2nd round grades early, this could be seriously bad news for Al Smith because he could very possibly be overtaken by both on the depth chart in short order, if Cox keeps his head on straight he has starting potential as a man cover CB which is perfect for us.

Doggcow
04-25-2010, 05:25 PM
Parrish, Squid, Smith, we going to have solid corners for a while.

Gcver2ver3
04-25-2010, 05:26 PM
Both our CBs were late round gems, they both had 1st or 2nd round grades early, this could be seriously bad news for Al Smith because he could very possibly be overtaken by both on the depth chart in short order, if Cox keeps his head on straight he has starting potential as a man cover CB which is perfect for us.

yea and i'd hate to see al smith not work out, esp considering how much we gave up to get him...

outdoor_miner
04-25-2010, 09:56 PM

what a steal...

Man - I'm getting pretty excited about this guy. Hopefully, he isn't a total dick that's impossible to root for...

Mediator12
04-25-2010, 10:08 PM
I never liked this kid on tape. He reminded me entirely too much of Deltha O'Neal with his approach to CB. He is not physical, is a poor tackler, likes to jump routes and leave the defense hanging, and he does not even have Deltha's Speed! Seriously, this kid has a ton of talent and has never really cared about football. He cares about him first.

This is one of my least favorite picks in this draft. A total non-DEN pick in regards to philosophy. This kid is NOT physical, Smart, or tough. I just do not get it.

BroncoBuff
04-25-2010, 10:28 PM
And Tebow sayeth unto him, "keep thy cox in thy pants, lest thou perrish."

That is some world-class hilarity right there. Clever as hell ROFL!

BMarsh615
04-25-2010, 10:34 PM

what a steal...

Here is the link to that

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d817cbb2f/Late-round-gems

Bronco Boy
04-25-2010, 10:45 PM
Here is the link to that

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d817cbb2f/Late-round-gems

at 1:43 in that video, the dude says "if Cox keeps his head on..." :laugh:

DB-Freak
04-26-2010, 12:57 AM
I never liked this kid on tape. He reminded me entirely too much of Deltha O'Neal with his approach to CB. He is not physical, is a poor tackler, likes to jump routes and leave the defense hanging, and he does not even have Deltha's Speed! Seriously, this kid has a ton of talent and has never really cared about football. He cares about him first.

This is one of my least favorite picks in this draft. A total non-DEN pick in regards to philosophy. This kid is NOT physical, Smart, or tough. I just do not get it.

He seems to have a bit more natural feel and fluidity for the position than Deltha if that makes any sense.

Deltha was a special teams player more than anything else, but this guy actually resembles a CB.

cmhargrove
04-26-2010, 07:16 AM

Med, I really trust your analysis and insights, but my "guess" is that you will eventually be proven wrong. Cox performed well against the big 12's best the past few years and he was always a playmaker / gamebreaker type.

I think he can immmediately start on kick returns (freeing up Eddie Royal), and I also think he will come along as a great corner in the next couple years. Barring injury, he won't be a starter in 2010, but I think he will be ready as a solid corner when his number is called.

SportinOne
04-26-2010, 10:57 AM
He looks to have a knack for finding space in the return game but he doesn't really have the speed to take it all the way in most cases... so what happens when everyone on the field gets faster and better? As a corner he looked solid. Can't really complain about a 5th round pick but i just don't see much greatness here.. and certainly not the "successor to Champ." please.

Paladin
04-26-2010, 11:03 AM
Well, if he returns KO's to the 30 consistently, that would be an improvement.

PRBronco
04-26-2010, 11:10 AM
I get the feeling he was mostly drafted to be a dedicated returner, but could play his way into the cornerback depth chart, not unlike DWill.

Mediator12
04-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Med, I really trust your analysis and insights, but my "guess" is that you will eventually be proven wrong. Cox performed well against the big 12's best the past few years and he was always a playmaker / gamebreaker type.

I think he can immmediately start on kick returns (freeing up Eddie Royal), and I also think he will come along as a great corner in the next couple years. Barring injury, he won't be a starter in 2010, but I think he will be ready as a solid corner when his number is called.

That's the thing, Deltha was a stud at Cal, much more than Cox ever was at OKST. However, the reason they were succesful is similar. They cheated in coverage and left the defense in a bind even when teams failed to take advantage of that. The NFL QB's will make him pay much more than the college ones failed to do.

Plus, Cox is not a solid press man guy. He lacked all kinds of Physicality, in fact he played CB like a WR. Also, why I comapred him to Deltha. In grading him out, he was the worst of the top CB's I watched.

That's what I saw.

cmhargrove
04-26-2010, 01:00 PM
That's the thing, Deltha was a stud at Cal, much more than Cox ever was at OKST. However, the reason they were succesful is similar. They cheated in coverage and left the defense in a bind even when teams failed to take advantage of that. The NFL QB's will make him pay much more than the college ones failed to do.

Plus, Cox is not a solid press man guy. He lacked all kinds of Physicality, in fact he played CB like a WR. Also, why I comapred him to Deltha. In grading him out, he was the worst of the top CB's I watched.

That's what I saw.

I'm not completely disagreeing with you, i'm sure that he has a lot of work to do. I think he came to a place where he can "learn from the best" watching Bailey and even Dawkins perform their craft. Some players just have a knack for being playmakers, and when I watched Cox at OSU, he was always in that category.

Should be fun to watch training camp this year to see how all these guys compete.