PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Mays blames Pete

i4jelway7
04-24-2010, 04:44 AM
for his draft day fall

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/news/story?id=5131914

So when pick after pick was announced and his name wasn't being called, Mays sat in front of the television, stunned, and he started to blame Carroll for his plight.

"He is someone I've trusted for a long time, been very close to," Mays said Friday. "I put my future in his hands when he told me to come back to school. I just feel like we weren't on the same page for what I needed to do to get drafted where I wanted to be drafted."

cutthemdown
04-24-2010, 05:05 AM
Well Carroll said what he needed to not lose players. He probably always spurted you will be better off staying, you will get drafted higher staying etc etc. Obviously for Mays it didn't work out. Last yr I think he goes first round.

Then when Carroll had a chance to pay the kid back and make him a first round pick the kid learned NFL is a big bussiness and favors like that don't happen. His stock had slipped and Carroll obviously didn't want the kid.

I could see kid being pissed off. I mean the guy probably bent over backwards to talk him into staying at USC, then wen it came to wanting him the next yr it was totally different.

I remember carrol in the NFL. He stunk. I think he did well at USC because they cheat and buy all the best players.

Killericon
04-24-2010, 05:16 AM
Yeah, because if there's anything Pete Carroll hasn't been able to do over the years, it's get his players drafted early on.

Ha!

Also, he responded:

Q: On Mays' comments:

"Well, first off, I love Taylor. I love the player that he is, and we were thinking that we would have a terrific chance to get him somewhere. When our safety situation came up with Earl, we didn't think Earl was going to get to us. We jumped at that opportunity there.

"I'd like to pick all my guys, but it just didn't work out, and unfortunately for Taylor, it was a hard day for him. His expectations were very, very high, and mine, too. So I feel for him. But I know what he's going to be like. He's going to be ferocious about going about this opportunity with San Francisco. Unfortunately, he's in the division so we're going to be battling against him and all that. This is a remarkably competitive guy, and prideful, and I'm sure he's got a chip on his shoulder, and it's going to serve him well. It's not going to help us in the division. He's a terrific player. He's an extraordinary, and I felt bad for him, that it didn't happen quicker in the first round. Certainly, we were ready and would have loved to have had him. Just by the way it fell, we were very excited about Earl. We thought Earl would go 7, 8, 9, right in there."

Q: Would you have considered him in the second round if he were available?

"Absolutely. Absolutely. If that would have happened, absolutely, we would have."

Q: Have you reached out to him?

"One of our other coaches got a chance, but I haven't talked to him. He might want to wait a couple of days before he talks to me. I love him. I love him to death, and I know how competitive he is, and I don't blame him for being the way it is. I would probably be surprised if it was anything other than that."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2010/04/pete-carroll-responds-to-criticism-from-taylor-mays.html

Rausch 2.0
04-24-2010, 05:17 AM
I love the talent he has but he's ****ing lazy.

I'd really hoped we'd pair him with Berry but knew deep down that if he didn't really get coached up he'd be Greg Wesley...

BroncoBuff
04-24-2010, 05:20 AM
Okay Mr. Mays, you've raised some important issues here, let's examine them one at a time:

Earl Thomas is better than you, Taylor. Can't blame Pete for that.
Pete didn't leave USC until after your senior season ended, so can't blame him there.
Must be tough to see Pete move up the road to your hometown, one of the great cities anywhere, but you can't blame him for that either.

What you can do is this: Look in the mirror, you prissy **** ... and maybe in the next life don't screw over your Huskies for U$C.

You're a lucky b!tch it's SF and not Buffalo. Based on the way you're b!tch-ing now, you'll probably fit right in.

rastaman
04-24-2010, 05:41 AM
Mays just needs enter into the NFL with a chip on his shoulder and prove to every team that passed him up.......that they shouldn't have. Plain and simple......ENOUGH SAID.

Prove them wrong Taylor become the next Ronnie Lott.

FADERPROOF
04-24-2010, 06:39 AM
I've always had an issue with Pete Carroll about this, he cared more about his USC program than he did his kids. Remember him drilling Mark Sanchez for declaring for the draft? Saying he needs to come back and is not NFL ready and needs to stay in college for another year to tune his game. I'm sure he told Taylor Mays the same thing and it cost Mays 30 spots in the draft.

There are college coaches, like Jim Tressel, that know that its about the kids and arent selfish enough to tell them that they need to put their dreams of the NFL on hold so they can help out the program...carroll is scum.

azbroncfan
04-24-2010, 06:48 AM
Mays just needs to get rid of the looks like Tarzan but plays like Jane syndrome and he can be ok.

Hamrob
04-24-2010, 08:06 AM
If Mays would have come out last year...he was a top 15 pick. For him to stay in school with that oppurtunity...shows just how stupid he is. Anytime you have that oppurtunity, you take it....unless you're name is Manning!

Kaylore
04-24-2010, 08:18 AM
Mays is right. This is why you come out when your agent tells you to. Mark Sanchez wouldn't have been drafted as high if he waited a year either.

BroncoBuff
04-24-2010, 08:36 AM
Q: Would you have considered him in the second round if he were available?

"Absolutely. Absolutely. If that would have happened, absolutely, we would have."

Oh, no. You're WAY too nice, Pete.

710 radio here says Pete tried to move up for Clausen, but the price was too high. And seeing Clausen was taken the pick before Mays, and seeing that he already drafted Earl Thomas, and seeing that after Thomas, Golden Tate was a better choice than Mays for this team at any spot, no. Mays never had a shot, and his name was never mentioned.

But it's nice that Pete tried to cushion the fall.

Rohirrim
04-24-2010, 08:45 AM
Like Billick said yesterday, teams look at Mays at the Combine and go, "Wow!" then they watch video of him in games and go, "WTF?" Then they look at his measurables and say, "We've got to take this kid." Then they go back to the game tapes again and go, "WTF?" And it keeps going back and forth like that.

The only person Mays has to blame is looking at him in the mirror.

BroncoBuff
04-24-2010, 09:28 AM
Like Billick said yesterday, teams look at Mays at the Combine and go, "Wow!" then they watch video of him in games and go, "WTF?" Then they look at his measurables and say, "We've got to take this kid." Then they go back to the game tapes again and go, "WTF?" And it keeps going back and forth like that.

The only person Mays has to blame is looking at him in the mirror.

That sounds a lot like Josh Barrett in a lot of different ways.

Play2win
04-24-2010, 09:31 AM
The Hawks Have had a great draft. Golden Tate is going to surprise a lot of people.

Broncoman13
04-24-2010, 09:35 AM
Well Carroll said what he needed to not lose players. He probably always spurted you will be better off staying, you will get drafted higher staying etc etc. Obviously for Mays it didn't work out. Last yr I think he goes first round.

Then when Carroll had a chance to pay the kid back and make him a first round pick the kid learned NFL is a big bussiness and favors like that don't happen. His stock had slipped and Carroll obviously didn't want the kid.

I could see kid being pissed off. I mean the guy probably bent over backwards to talk him into staying at USC, then wen it came to wanting him the next yr it was totally different.

I remember carrol in the NFL. He stunk. I think he did well at USC because they cheat and buy all the best players.

You've had some really strong takes lately and I agree with a lot of what you post... but the last part (Carrol stunk in the NFL) is flat our wrong. PC did quite well with the Pats. He'll do well with the Seahawks too. So far his draft looks great.

As for passing over Mays... he said it wasn't difficult but had to stick to his board. If you have several scouts and your staff telling you that Earl Thomas is a better prospect than Taylor Mays, you go by their talent evaluations. Plus PC probably knows exactly what Mays' limitations are. I don't think it was an easy decision for him, but he has my respect for listening to his board rather than his heart.