PDA

View Full Version : Broncos were looking to take Toby Gerhart and Hardesty after Zane...

MVPlaya
04-23-2010, 10:46 PM
McDaniels said in his interview that the draft wasn't exactly meant to fall the way it did.

He said that they were high on Hardesty and Gerhart, pretty much saying they would of probably taken one of them.

Said they were lucky to get Decker and that he fell that late.

So we are still looking to address the RB position it seems.

Wes Mantooth
04-23-2010, 10:50 PM
man that would have been awesome. Not an Oregon fan, but Blount is still available. He is a beast.

snowspot66
04-23-2010, 10:50 PM
Isn't he the idiot that got in a fight during a game and suspended?

DBroncos4life
04-23-2010, 10:53 PM
I think we will trade for Lendale White.

strafen
04-23-2010, 10:54 PM
What about Moreno?

broncos-rock

I hope not he is horrible and would not do well here!

Tombstone RJ
Not sure Blount is a McD kinda guy. Not sure if there is another RB I'd want in this entire draft outside of Blount.

Is it me or is this a relatively weak draft for RBs?

DBroncos4life
04-23-2010, 10:57 PM
I hope not he is horrible and would not do well here!

He is far from horrible and would be huge for the RZ.

BroncoInferno
04-23-2010, 10:58 PM
Would have loved Gerhart. But happy the way it turned out.

azbroncfan
04-23-2010, 10:58 PM
man that would have been awesome. Not an Oregon fan, but Blount is still available. He is a beast.

Too slow and stiff in my opinion. I would almost bet he goes undrafted.

Tombstone RJ
04-23-2010, 11:01 PM
RBs still available, I think:

Dixon
Starks
Blount
Scott

That's about it for big RBs

Tombstone RJ
04-23-2010, 11:14 PM
Anthony Dixon, Mississippi State
Height: 6-1. Weight: 233.
Projected 40 Time: 4.55.
Combine 40 Time: 4.65.
Pro Day 40 Time: 4.61.
Benchx225: 15. Vertical: 40. Broad: 10-1.
Projected Round (2010): 3-5.
1/16/10: Finished with 1,391 yards and 12 touchdowns on a 5.4 average. Also had 18 catches for 123 more yards.

11/7/09: A powerful runner having a great year, Anthony Dixon has rushed for 1,001 yards and nine touchdowns in eight games. He can also catch the ball out of the backfield.

2/6/09: Anthony Dixon compiled 869 yards and seven touchdowns as a junior. He also registered 20 catches for 117 yards and two more scores.

7/25/08: Anthony Dixon is a huge power back who moves pretty well at his impressive size. He rushed for 1,066 yards and 14 touchdowns (3.7 YPC) and also caught 14 passes out of the backfield. As long as he's not super slow at the combine, he'll be a mid-round pick.

Tombstone RJ
04-23-2010, 11:15 PM
LeGarrette Blount, Oregon
Height: 6-0. Weight: 238.
Projected 40 Time: 4.59.
Combine 40 Time: 4.62.
Pro Day 40 Time: 4.53.
Benchx225: 19. Vertical: . Broad: .
Projected Round (2010): 4-5.
3/18/10: Only ran the 40 at his Pro Day. Improved on his time, but did weigh in three pounds lighter.

1/31/10: The character concerns are still there, but LeGarrette Blount was the most impressive running back at the Senior Bowl. He just bulldozed over helpless defenders like the 2008 version of Brandon Jacobs.

1/16/10: After that disgusting display at the end of the Boise State game, we assumed LeGarrette Blount's collegiate career was over. Well, Blount played the last two games of the season, finishing with 82 yards and two touchdowns on 22 carries. The Bengals and Eagles might give him a second chance.

9/12/09: I guess you can say that LeGarrette Blount knocked himself out of draft consideration. Following a dismal performance where Blount actually lost five yards on eight carries, the Oregon running back punched a Boise State player and then had to be restrained from attacking the fans. The overweight Blount was already a Round 4-5 prospect to begin with, so he's now a long shot to be drafted.

5/11/09: Suspended for missing workout sessions.

2/6/09: Was very effective with Jeremiah Johnson in the backfield. The monstrous LeGarrette Blount punished opposing defenses for 1,003 yards and 17 touchdowns, gaining 7.3 YPC in the process. Blount was not a factor in the passing game (two receptions).

7/25/08: A load at 230 pounds, LeGarrette Blount, a JUCO transfer, will receive most of the carries while Jeremiah Johnson recovers from a torn ACL.

Vladimir
04-24-2010, 12:09 AM
Draft Blount!!! I love my ducks :)

extralife
04-24-2010, 12:20 AM
It should be obvious by now that we're not going to draft guys with character issues.

orange crusher
04-24-2010, 12:27 AM
I think it's a safe assumption that Blount isn't even on their board.

KipCorrington25
04-24-2010, 12:30 AM
Moreno is a bust, somehow slow, small, hold outs that fumble don't do well in the NFL for some reason...

Broncobiv
04-24-2010, 02:02 AM
Yeah, same as last year, actually. Weak then, too (compared to other years).

Popps
04-24-2010, 02:13 AM
Makes sense. We need a younger, healthier version of Buckhalter.

Moreno is going to be a productive back for us, but he need someone to split carries with.
Buck can't stay healthy.

Mogulseeker
04-24-2010, 02:17 AM
I'm glad it worked out the way it did if he was looking at RBs in the 2nd/3rd.

Mogulseeker
04-24-2010, 02:20 AM

Please no.

He ran all over us in high school. My coach put me in at SS that game. I had to tackle Lendale White. He busted through for 7 yards, I hit him (or he hit me) and drove through me for another 3 before tripping over my feet and falling on top of me.

Chatfield had NO defense, though (neither did we)... we lost that game like 73-49.

DBroncos4life
04-24-2010, 02:22 AM
Please no.

He ran all over us in high school. My coach put me in at SS that game. I had to tackle Lendale White. He busted through for 7 yards, I hit him (or he hit me) and drove through me for another 3 before tripping over my feet and falling on top of me.

Chatfield had NO defense, though (neither did we)... we lost that game like 73-49.

So you don't want a tough runner because he kicked your butt in HS? He would make third downs and RZ trips much easier to deal with.

Mogulseeker
04-24-2010, 02:25 AM
So you don't want a tough runner because he kicked your butt in HS? He would make third downs and RZ trips much easier to deal with.

I took one class at Chatfield that they didn't offer at Dakota Ridge.

Lendale White was always there. I wore a Dakota Ridge football shirt and he tried to start ****. He was always in trouble and talking ****. If it weren't for football and ****ing Dave Logan, Lendale White would have been a HS drop out, dealing coke on East Colfax.

He seemed like a nice guy, just always got into trouble.

Edit - he was always there after hours. Chatfield treated him like a prisoner cause they didn't wan't him going back east and getting into trouble. Either that or he was in detention ... every ... freaking ... day.

DBroncos4life
04-24-2010, 02:28 AM
I took one class at Chatfield that they didn't offer at Dakota Ridge.

Lendale White was always there. I wore a Dakota Ridge football shirt and tried to start ****. He was always in trouble and talking ****. If it weren't for football and ****ing Dave Logan, Lendale White would have been a HS drop out, dealing coke on East Colfax.

From the great Tupac...

You gotta operate the easy way
"I made a G today" But you made it in a sleazy way
Sellin' crack to the kid. " I gotta get paid,"
Well hey, well that's the way it is

Bronco Yoda
04-24-2010, 02:33 AM
Really weak for big backs. It was really stupid to get rid of Hillis. I know it became fashionable to hate on him for some... but I'm thinking we're going to regret it in time.

meangene
04-24-2010, 02:56 AM
Dwyer from Georgia Tech was a big back we had a personal meeting with. Don't know if he slides to the fifth but I could see us moving into the fourth to get him.

Drek
04-24-2010, 05:16 AM
Dwyer from Georgia Tech was a big back we had a personal meeting with. Don't know if he slides to the fifth but I could see us moving into the fourth to get him.

If Dwyer slides or a good trade develops he'll be the guy, great pounder to compliment Moreno and Buckhalter.

If not then I'd really like to see Lonyae Miller in round 5. Great physical tools but just never beat out Ryan Matthews for the starting job at Fresno State. Strikes me as the exact kind of guy Studesville turned into a solid pro in Buffalo (Fred Jackson). All around athletic guy with good size just in need of some reps and coaching.

I think we need a short yardage pounder more than anything to be honest. Buck is injury prone but he'll be here another year. Get a guy to help Moreno finish drives in short yardage and we'll take a speedster to replace Buck next year.

bap454
04-24-2010, 05:24 AM
I think we could have waited on Zane and took Gerhart in the Second instead, no way he was going to fall to our 3rd pick, no chance.

Drek
04-24-2010, 05:56 AM
I think we could have waited on Zane and took Gerhart in the Second instead, no way he was going to fall to our 3rd pick, no chance.

I'd rather take the risk of missing on a 3rd RB for the rotation over losing our #1 interior OL target.

TotallyScrewed
04-24-2010, 06:04 AM
They just threw away a strong runner. I hope this is more throwing off the dogs and stirring the pot than truth. I think they go defensive help with their remaining picks and gather someone or two who is a huge sleeper because the defensive needs an infusion of youth.

s0phr0syne
04-24-2010, 06:08 AM
I think Chris Brown out of OU is a very real possibility. He plays a very similar style to Hardesty and I think he's been severely underrated.

He might be available as a UDFA, which makes him perhaps more attractive as an option since we need to bolster defense with the next couple of picks...

bpc
04-24-2010, 06:08 AM
Makes sense. We need a younger, healthier version of Buckhalter.

Moreno is going to be a productive back for us, but he need someone to split carries with.
Buck can't stay healthy.

So your MVP pick from a year ago is destined for a platoon role... ah, great selection at #12 last year.

BroncoBuff
04-24-2010, 06:11 AM
He said that they were high on Hardesty and Gerhart, pretty much saying they would of probably taken one of them.

All offense. Offense offense offense ... what's wrong with this picture?

Great draft, really. But where's the defense?

thumpc
04-24-2010, 06:11 AM
The Pats have about 19 picks in the 7th round. McD has been so good about not dipping into the 2011 picks, it miight be ok if he tosses hoody sr. a future 5th for a 6th and 7th to peruse the power backs.

Drek
04-24-2010, 06:17 AM
So your MVP pick from a year ago is destined for a platoon role... ah, great selection at #12 last year.

What back in the NFL isn't working out of a platoon role?

It takes a real amazing level of hubris or idiocy (you can pick) for a team to think their RB can take being the one and only feature back in today's NFL.

Drek
04-24-2010, 06:22 AM
All offense. Offense offense offense ... what's wrong with this picture?

Great draft, really. But where's the defense?

We got 'em last year.

Three DBs, along with Barrett who was drafted the year before.

One OLB (Ayers) along with a mid-20's standout on the opposite side.

Two young ILBs from the previous regime's '08 draft they're giving a shot, along with our standout WILB (DJ) and 30 year old defensive captain moving back to his natural ILB spot.

Two UDFA DLs (Baker and Pedescalaux) that they really like, a 25 year old FA DE who started all last season, and a 28 year old NT/DE who also started all last season.

We have roster spots for a bunch of offensive positions, namely WR and OL. If we draft defensive players they're either not making the team or we're dropping guys like Larsen, Woodyard, Baker, Pedexcalaux, McBean, etc. before they even get a full calendar year in the system, in many cases a full year in the NFL.

Denver724
04-24-2010, 06:50 AM
RBs still available, I think:

Dixon
Starks
Blount
Scott

That's about it for big RBs

I would love us to take McKnight or Dwyer.

Denver724
04-24-2010, 06:52 AM

I think Zane could have been the next pick with NE if we had not taken him. NE traded back after our pick. A Mankins clone.

baja
04-24-2010, 06:59 AM
Really weak for big backs. It was really stupid to get rid of Hillis. I know it became fashionable to hate on him for some... but I'm thinking we're going to regret it in time.

as it turned out the trade for quinn looks like a waste but maybe we will trade him at some point. with no salary cap trading will be popular.

OABB
04-24-2010, 06:59 AM
Moreno is a bust, somehow slow, small, hold outs that fumble don't do well in the NFL for some reason...

You are so ****ing stupid. Just thought you might want to know.

Drek
04-24-2010, 07:20 AM
as it turned out the trade for quinn looks like a waste but maybe we will trade him at some point. with no salary cap trading will be popular.

Not a waste at all.

Orton is only on a one year tender. Quinn only has two years left on his deal.

At the same time we absolutely want to know we will not be forced into starting Tebow at any point in 2010. He needs to be 3rd string, not second.

Its an indictment of Brandstater for sure. But Orton + Quinn provide the buffer to make sure Tebow gets the time he needs to develop.

ant1999e
04-24-2010, 07:23 AM
What about Moreno?

What about you shutting the **** up?

Jesterhole
04-24-2010, 07:26 AM
What about Moreno?

He was a mistake. At least at 12.

TonyR
04-24-2010, 07:28 AM

Yup, just like the Vikings appear to be giving up on Peterson because they drafted Gerhart. See how faulty your "logic" is?

oubronco
04-24-2010, 07:30 AM
Not sure Blount is a McD kinda guy. Not sure if there is another RB I'd want in this entire draft outside of Blount.

McKnight looks pretty good

outdoor_miner
04-24-2010, 07:34 AM
I'd rather take the risk of missing on a 3rd RB for the rotation over losing our #1 interior OL target.

Yes yes yes.

Drek
04-24-2010, 07:36 AM
What about Moreno?

McDaniels understands the need for a rotation and how different tools (i.e. players) do different jobs.

He wasn't willing to grab Gerhart or Hardesty in round 2 because he isn't looking for a Moreno replacement. He's looking for a compliment.

With good blocking, a full off-season of NFL level conditioning to Denver's altitude, and likely finally getting that MCL fully recouped Moreno is poised to tear the league apart in 2010.

gunns
04-24-2010, 07:39 AM
White was just traded to the Seahawks. Good

azbroncfan
04-24-2010, 10:48 AM
Denver needs another RB in my opinion and Dixon is off the board now.

boppool
04-24-2010, 12:00 PM
He is far from horrible and would be huge for the RZ.

But... We got TEBOW!!!