PDA

View Full Version : AFC west getting stronger

DefensiveBehavior
04-23-2010, 10:10 PM
Chefs,raiders,chargers

no one knows how any of these players will pan out,but our division rivals,especially KC drafted some serious game changing players
and all improved vastly the past 48 hours. Scary stuff if you ask me

JJJ
04-23-2010, 10:28 PM
In general Bolt fans are not so happy with the lack of beef. The DLine is a big concern that wasn't addressed in the first two days.

You guys did very well day 2, well done.

boltaneer
04-23-2010, 11:25 PM
In general Bolt fans are not so happy with the lack of beef. The DLine is a big concern that wasn't addressed in the first two days.

While I'm not thrilled with this draft (too much trading up) I do like the players they got. And it seems like AJ really got the players that he wanted so that's fine with me. Now, they just need to pan out.

Bolt fans are concerned with the d-line but I think the Chargers are not - obviously with the way they drafted so far. That makeshift d-line they put together really gelled towards the end of the year and they have a couple of young guys that should only get better. And they're high on Garay, who they picked up mid-season.

I would have liked to see at least one DL pick in the first three rounds though.

boltaneer
04-23-2010, 11:28 PM
Chefs,raiders,chargers

no one knows how any of these players will pan out,but our division rivals,especially KC drafted some serious game changing players

I agree.

Raiders seem to have a very solid draft for once.

I like the Chiefs first two picks. Not so much with the rest though.

As far as the Broncos go, Thomas and Tebow seem like questionable picks but they have the potential to be steals. But their day two picks seem to be nice ones.

The Chargers should have two new starters. And that's not easy for rookies to do on a roster like that.

DefensiveBehavior
04-23-2010, 11:40 PM
SD got the best RB prospect since AP. To go along with a top 3 AFC passing attack,i really hate to say it, but SD Easily averages 30 ppg this season,and will post 50 on a occasions

DenverBound
04-23-2010, 11:44 PM
SD got the best RB prospect since AP. To go along with a top 3 AFC passing attack,i really hate to say it, but SD Easily averages 30 ppg this season,and will post 50 on a occasions

Ummm No. Please show me the reports that had him touted as the best RB prospect since AP. Douche bag.

DefensiveBehavior
04-23-2010, 11:59 PM
Resort to name calling, considering you obviously didnt watch this guy run the ball at fresno st..and i dont need 12 geeks at espn holding draft charts to convince me of anything different.

DefensiveBehavior
04-24-2010, 12:00 AM
This guy doesnt fumble every 4 carries,kiper did tell me that. Wake up bra

DenverBound
04-24-2010, 12:05 AM
Resort to name calling, considering you obviously didnt watch this guy run the ball at fresno st..and i dont need 12 geeks at espn holding draft charts to convince me of anything different.

Oh but I have. I have seen him run A LOT! He is a great talent but to put him in the same breath as AP is insane. Not to mention a HUGE reach where SD actually took him.

DefensiveBehavior
04-24-2010, 12:15 AM
Oh but I have. I have seen him run A LOT! He is a great talent but to put him in the same breath as AP is insane. Not to mention a HUGE reach where SD actually took him.

Youtube clips dont count, name the RB who has looked better coming out since....not comparing him to peterson at all,just saying no guy has looked better since AP. Thats all.

Rice,Mccoy,Knowsho,mendenhal,greene,charles,gerega rt,hardesty,best,blunt. Who??? You tell me....

boltaneer
04-24-2010, 01:28 AM

Comparing him to AP is premature no doubt but so is calling him a reach. Rumors are that a couple of teams were targeting him at 14.

Broncosfreak_56
04-24-2010, 01:31 AM
I don't like the term 'reach'. If a team is confident a player will be good, why not go ahead and secure him?

ZONA
04-24-2010, 01:57 AM
I don't think they reached too much on this pick. In most mocks, I didn't see him going until 20th to Houston. I don't think any of the teams between 12 and 20 were looking at RB but who's to say the Chargers didn't try to move somewhere around 16 or so but couldn't find a place. They probably liked him alot and didn't want to miss on him so they made their move.

JJJ
04-24-2010, 02:02 AM
Matthews if he stays healthy will be a perfect fit for the Charger offense. Worth going at 12 in my opinion. But giving up that number 2 was painful.

And yes I agree this guy will help the Chargers put up 30 routinely. Having a legitmate play action threat again will do wonders, wonders, for the passing game. Covering Gates and keeping containment on the draws will be a real challenge for anyone come up against the Bolts O.

The question is how many will they give up each week? Unless some of the young guys they have mature quickly on that DLine I think stopping long drives in critical games will continue to be a problem.

chanesaw
04-24-2010, 05:53 AM
Darren McFadden was the best RB prospect since Peterson (although he hasn't live up). Nobody else has been projected that high since.

Drek
04-24-2010, 06:06 AM
Youtube clips dont count, name the RB who has looked better coming out since....not comparing him to peterson at all,just saying no guy has looked better since AP. Thats all.

Rice,Mccoy,Knowsho,mendenhal,greene,charles,gerega rt,hardesty,best,blunt. Who??? You tell me....

This year you've got CJ Spiller.

Last year you had Knowshon Moreno and Beanie Wells.

The year before that? McFadden and Stewart. I'd also argue Ray Rice myself.

That is four, maybe five, guys in two drafts (since Peterson was only drafted three years ago) that I'd say where better NFL prospects relative to when they entered the draft.

That also isn't counting boom/bust guys like Chris Johnson who actually did pan out in a huge way.

Matthews best comp is Rashard Mendenhall. Both have great physical talent but didn't do much to impress in college until their junior year. After which they jumped straight to the pros. Will Matthews stay healthy? Will his collegiate production translate well? Who knows.

But he is the leader in the clubhouse for "Most Likely to be Outplayed in the NFL by my Collegiate Backup" thanks to Lonyae Miller being an athletic freak. With the right coaching he could explode in the NFL.

gunns
04-24-2010, 08:20 AM
Ummm No. Please show me the reports that had him touted as the best RB prospect since AP. Douche bag.

What the hell is your problem this morning? If you've got a hangover, go back to bed or take some hair of the dog that bit you. Damn dude.

I'm totally shocked at the Raiders draft. KC's first pick was excellent but the later one's questionable considering their vast needs. SD's I have to question, especially jumping up for a RB that they probably didn't need to. Ours, the 2nd day was GREAT!

boltaneer
04-24-2010, 09:21 AM
I don't like the term 'reach' either. For us fans, value is sold to us by the media/analysts. If a team wants a guy, you go get him.

But I'm already tired of hearing 'reach' with Matthews. Rumors are that the Seahawks, Giants and Texans were all targeting him. If that's true, they had to jump to 12 because they sure weren't going to trade with the Broncos who were at 13 at the time.

400HZ
04-24-2010, 09:32 AM
I think someone pushed Al Davis' wheelchair into the broom closet on Thursday and left him there. ****

DefensiveBehavior
04-24-2010, 12:25 PM
[QUOTE=chanesaw;2820872]Darren McFadden was the best RB prospect since Peterson (although he hasn't live up). Nobody else has been projected that high since.[/QUOTE. True

Tombstone RJ
04-24-2010, 12:29 PM
Sandy Eggo has one of their weaker drafts in a while, faiders have one of their strongest drafts in a long time and the chefs had a good draft too.

JJJ
04-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Sandy Eggo has one of their weaker drafts in a while, faiders have one of their strongest drafts in a long time and the chefs had a good draft too.

I think SD ended up with some sleeper potential on day two. Cam Thomas dropped all the way to us in the 5th. We were talking about him in the 2nd or 3rd leading into the draft. So we finally got some NT action. Darrell Stuckey fills a need at S and some see him as a legitimate sleeper. I think SD will ge a B- to B grade when all is said and done.

The Chiefs had a good draft? Really? I don't see it that way. Didn't address their line needs. With 4 picks in the top 68 you would think they would have been able to do a little more than they did. McCluster and Arenas are wasted picks I think.

boltaneer
04-24-2010, 02:07 PM
I'm very pleased with the Chargers draft, especially compared to the last couple of years.

They could have four potential starters on opening day out of this draft.

tebowisdabomb
04-24-2010, 02:46 PM
I'm very pleased with the Chargers draft, especially compared to the last couple of years.

They could have four potential starters on opening day out of this draft.

but you still have Norv :welcome:

Rohirrim
04-24-2010, 03:10 PM
I think the Raiders FO had Al's doctor slip him something so he would sleep through the draft. This is the first draft for the Raiders that has made sense in years.

Dogsweat
04-24-2010, 03:24 PM
It appears Al's dementia tablets are working.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQlpDiXPZHQ

Bob's your Information Minister
04-24-2010, 03:26 PM
The Chiefs are ****. Worst front seven in football.

atomicbloke
04-24-2010, 03:29 PM
Have to admit, the Raiders had the best draft in the AFC West. Very un-Al Davis like. The pickup of Jason Campbell was also good. It shows they are finally moving on from JeMarcus Rusell.

Campbell >> Russell.

Guess in a season or 2, Raiders are likely to compete for the division along with the Chargers.

Of course if Tebow pans out, then all bets are off.

tebowisdabomb
04-24-2010, 03:33 PM
why do you need tebow when you have quinn?

Dogsweat
04-24-2010, 03:33 PM
Have to admit, the Raiders had the best draft in the AFC West. Very un-Al Davis like. The pickup of Jason Campbell was also good. It shows they are finally moving on from JeMarcus Rusell.

Campbell >> Russell.

Guess in a season or 2, Raiders are likely to compete for the division along with the Chargers.

Of course if Tebow pans out, then all bets are off.

I agree, Raiders and Brownies get "A" grades.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyoSoLYo7fY

tebowisdabomb
04-24-2010, 03:36 PM
I like this one better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neX8MeoWQR0

KCStud
04-24-2010, 04:16 PM
I think SD ended up with some sleeper potential on day two. Cam Thomas dropped all the way to us in the 5th. We were talking about him in the 2nd or 3rd leading into the draft. So we finally got some NT action. Darrell Stuckey fills a need at S and some see him as a legitimate sleeper. I think SD will ge a B- to B grade when all is said and done.

The Chiefs had a good draft? Really? I don't see it that way. Didn't address their line needs. With 4 picks in the top 68 you would think they would have been able to do a little more than they did. McCluster and Arenas are wasted picks I think.

KC spent a 1st round pick on Dorsey and a 1st on Jackson along with a 3rd on Magee (who impressed more than the first two as a rookie). We also added Shaun Smith who should be a decent rotational player.

Haley said Dorsey will see time at NT. We'll have to wait and see.

And I think Arenas was a big reach, but he is a great tackler and an elite returner on special teams. Should have taken him later though. A 3rd round prospect. Asomoah however was a steal. 2nd best G in round 3 is a steal no doubt.

Oh and McCluster is anything but a wasted pick. He's gonna be a bigger playmaker on offense than anyone who was drafted in the division. It's no fluke that he tore up the SEC, including running all over Alabama, Florida and mainly Tennessee.

gunns
04-24-2010, 04:18 PM

That's what everyone said after the 2004 draft about the Raiders. The potential seems to be there but you just never know.

KCStud
04-24-2010, 04:19 PM
And did I mention f*** the Chargers for taking Stuckey. Damnit. He's gonna be a solid safety for them.

KCStud
04-24-2010, 04:45 PM

Raiders actually had a good draft. I'd say a B+ which is shocking. But it's very clear that Seattle had the best draft on paper.

boltaneer
04-24-2010, 04:48 PM
but you still have Norv :welcome:

What's wrong with Norv? :sunshine:

tebowisdabomb
04-24-2010, 04:51 PM
What's wrong with Norv? :sunshine:

He just can't seem to get over the hump is all really...

KevinJames
04-24-2010, 05:12 PM
Not scary, great and heres why

Chiefs and Raiders get a lot better yeah they are tougher and it will be a harder game but thats what you want you want good competition so your players don't take them lightly and with McD coaching its hard to see that.

Our competition gets better but remember thats also 4 potential losses for the Chargers who we all will root against.

Dogsweat
04-24-2010, 05:23 PM
I like this one better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neX8MeoWQR0

This one is my favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVvpt8h5v5k&feature=related

BroncoInferno
04-24-2010, 05:30 PM
I don't like the term 'reach' either. For us fans, value is sold to us by the media/analysts. If a team wants a guy, you go get him.

I totally agree. People call a guy a reach based on what Kiper and Mayock tell them. But they obviously don't know much as guys like Dorin Dickerson and Ricky Sapp (etc) went far, far lower than they predicted. The actual teams obviously think differently than the so called experts.

BroncoInferno
04-24-2010, 05:31 PM
Raiders actually had a good draft. I'd say a B+ which is shocking. But it's very clear that Seattle had the best draft on paper.

It was perplexing seeing the Raiders actually draft for value this year.

Ugly Duck
04-24-2010, 07:34 PM
I don't like the term 'reach'. If a team is confident a player will be good, why not go ahead and secure him?

Oh.... you mean like Al Davis taking Darrius Heyward-Bey with the #7 ?

pink_feet
04-24-2010, 08:12 PM
Think the Chiefs had the best draft and the Raiders and Dolts had good drafts.

I dont think the Chargers had a lot of holes to fills, outside of RB, which they filled with Matthews. That guy will be a stud in this league for a long time.

I actually like their ILB Butler and Thomas DT picks. I think Thomas was an absolute steal in the 5th round and will be a true NT.

Their DL is not that bad and have a lot of young players there.

They needed help at S and got it with the kid from Kansas.

Dont forget, in the 2011 draft, they have 1 1st round pick, 2 2nd round picks and 2 3rd round picks, so they are stacked again.

400HZ
04-24-2010, 09:20 PM
I like what the Raiders did. None of the other AFC West drafts seemed all that impressive to me.

Tombstone RJ
04-24-2010, 09:26 PM
I like what the Raiders did. None of the other AFC West drafts seemed all that impressive to me.

whatever

BroncoInferno
04-24-2010, 09:31 PM

Raiders actually drafted for value for once, so I agree. But you're wrong...Denver got excellent value with most of their picks. You guys...not so much, though I think Matthews will be good.

400HZ
04-24-2010, 09:35 PM
Raiders actually drafted for value for once, so I agree. But you're wrong...Denver got excellent value with most of their picks. You guys...not so much.

"Getting good value" is overrated. That's what obsesses idiots like Todd McShay. The goal of the draft isn't to get good value, it's to get good players. I think Oakland got the best players.

Tombstone RJ
04-24-2010, 09:38 PM
"Getting good value" is overrated. That's what obsesses idiots like Todd McShay. The goal of the draft isn't to get good value, it's to get good players. I think Oakland got the best players.

I can hardly wait for the season to start.

BroncoInferno
04-24-2010, 09:52 PM

The WR and interior lineman we got are all excellent prosepcts. Tebow, I'm not crazy about, but scouts don't have a clue on QBs as the success rate shows. The CBs we got were early round talents but had injury/character isuues. Can't see how we didn't have a great draft.

400HZ
04-24-2010, 09:59 PM
Mel Kiper ranked Denver's draft 5th...

...from the bottom. :spit:

Ugly Duck
04-24-2010, 10:02 PM

Gotta link?

400HZ
04-24-2010, 10:06 PM
Gotta link?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/insider/news/story?page=KiperDraftGrades

San Diego Chargers
Summary: San Diego definitely got their guy in Ryan Mathews. The question is whether they needed to get all the way up to No. 12 to get him. But again, you have to find someone to trade with, and Miami was a logical trading partner as a team trying hard to move down. They didn't have a lot of picks, but I liked the Chargers getting a great value in Cam Thomas in the fifth, and Darrell Stuckey has a chance to be a good starter in this league. Donald Butler, an inside linebacker, has good athleticism for the position, and has a chance to become the starter eventually.

Draft grade: B

Kansas City Chiefs
Summary: Say this for the Chiefs: They added players you'll notice. Eric Berry is an impact safety and should become a star. Let's make one last Ed Reed comparison before we close the book on this draft. Dexter McCluster early in Round 2 surprised some people -- Jamaal Charles has impressed -- but a lot of people don't realize how versatile McCluster is. Aside from his obvious rush and return skills, he has great hands and can line up in the slot. He diversifies that offense. Still, the Chiefs are no better on either the offensive or defensive line, outside of Jon Asamoah, but I felt he played better as a junior. Javier Arenas is a good little player, but not a starter.

Draft grade: B-

Oakland Raiders
Summary: There was a sense that Oakland may have reached slightly to take Rolando McClain, but framed against the backdrop of a draft in which they also got a physical talent like Bruce Campbell well into Round 4, Oakland improved upon last year. McClain fits a need -- the team reinforced that by trading Kirk Morrison -- and is ready to play. Oddly, speed has been a question (which doesn't fit the Al Davis mantra) with McClain, but I love his instincts. The Raiders definitely fit their profile with Campbell and then wideout Jacoby Ford, the fastest player in the draft. The issue with Ford is it's straight-line speed. Even Jared "Edwin" Veldheer is a workout warrior. The late addition of Jason Campbell via trade is a decent move, but this is the Raiders -- a guy who failed elsewhere seems like a good upgrade. Something's wrong with this picture.

Draft grade: C+

Denver Broncos
Summary: I liked the Demaryius Thomas pick, but the three picks (net two picks) for Tim Tebow was a serious leap of faith for a guy who's not as ready to play in the NFL as several other quarterbacks drafted behind him. I respect Denver's conviction, but its sense of draft board value has to be called into serious question. I think anybody can see that. Zane Beadles is a tackle who has to shift positions, J.D. Walton could start at center eventually, and Perrish Cox is a good value late if he stays focused on football, but Denver isn't much better for next year with these additions after falling apart late. We can regrade this one in a few years, and I hope it's better then for as much as I think about the quarterback they drafted.

Draft grade: C-

Ugly Duck
04-24-2010, 10:08 PM
Thanks, dude!

I heard that he's p!ssed because he rated Clausen so high & he dropped like a rock. He's peaved at the teams that need a QB & passed on the guy cuz it makes him look like a dufus.

400HZ
04-24-2010, 10:14 PM
Thanks, dude!

I heard that he's p!ssed because he rated Clausen so high & he dropped like a rock. He's peaved at the teams that need a QB & passed on the guy cuz it makes him look like a dufus.

90% of draft analysts were wrong about Clausen. I don't think that evaluation in particular reflects badly on Kiper.

azbroncfan
04-24-2010, 10:15 PM

That's good because he talks out of his arse more often than not.

Paladin
04-24-2010, 10:16 PM
"Draft board value" is BS. That's a compilation of the rater's opinions. As has been stated, "Value" is a concept made up by media nerds to give the gullible public something to talk about. Somebody's gotta be number one, right?

If a player is near what the team wants, then they should get the player for the team. The team "values" that player in their own idiosyncratic way.

I do not value Kiper's opinion.....

Tombstone RJ
04-24-2010, 10:20 PM
90% of draft analysts were wrong about Clausen. I don't think that evaluation in particular reflects badly on Kiper.

Kipers a baffoon. Anyone who takes him seriously is kidding themselves. Dude strikes out more than a Bob at the local zoo.

BroncoInferno
04-24-2010, 10:21 PM

Mel Kiper is an idiot. That's been known for years. Mayock owns his ass on accurate projections.

Ugly Duck
04-24-2010, 10:22 PM

What I mean is he rates drafts according to how close they come to his predictions. If a team picks 'em where he put 'em, he likes their draft. If a team picks 'em way off from where he put 'em, he doesn't like their draft.

boltaneer
04-24-2010, 10:34 PM
Think the Chiefs had the best draft and the Raiders and Dolts had good drafts.

I dont think the Chargers had a lot of holes to fills, outside of RB, which they filled with Matthews. That guy will be a stud in this league for a long time.

I actually like their ILB Butler and Thomas DT picks. I think Thomas was an absolute steal in the 5th round and will be a true NT.

Their DL is not that bad and have a lot of young players there.

They needed help at S and got it with the kid from Kansas.

Dont forget, in the 2011 draft, they have 1 1st round pick, 2 2nd round picks and 2 3rd round picks, so they are stacked again.

AJ Smith did a good job of drafting for quality over quantity by trading up without mortgaging the future.

His last two drafts have had some black eyes - Buster Davis and Jacob Hester. I think this may turn out to be one of his better drafts.

400HZ
04-25-2010, 12:06 AM
Kipers a baffoon. Anyone who takes him seriously is kidding themselves. Dude strikes out more than a Bob at the local zoo.

Kiper is as good as any of them although he gets too worked up over value as well. Mayock just makes people feel good by not being critical enough. There have been a couple years in the past where I thought Kiper was way off, but his assessments have been pretty good over the past several.

I would have given a higher grade to the Raiders. I love their first five picks with the exception of Campbell, and even he has enough upside to justify the pick.

Tombstone RJ
04-25-2010, 12:09 AM
Kiper is as good as any of them although he gets too worked up over value as well. Mayock just makes people feel good by not being critical enough. There have been a couple years in the past where I thought Kiper was way off, but his assessments have been pretty good over the past several.

I would have given a higher grade to the Raiders. I love their first five picks with the exception of Campbell, and even he has enough upside to justify the pick.

Blah, blah, blah, I'm a chuggers fan, blah, blah, blah.

Boltjolt
04-25-2010, 12:16 AM
I agree.

As far as the Broncos go, Thomas and Tebow seem like questionable picks but they have the potential to be steals. But their day two picks seem to be nice ones.

The Chargers should have two new starters. And that's not easy for rookies to do on a roster like that.

Yeah picking McCluster over Golden Tate was awesome after it was said they will use him as a slot WR...what a shock.....:~ohyah!:

Arenas is a tough player but is short and slow. Berry is a stud but the rest are...eh.

Denver had a decent draft. I like Thomas. Not sure why Tebow was a priority and gave up three picks to get him for a QB that will take at least three years to be any good, but i like Tebow. Great work ethic and will do what he needs to do to be the best he can. Gotta love that. Just dont know if he will ever be a good NFL QB so that said, i think they gave up way too much for him.

Really like Erik Decker too if he can stay healthy. Perrish Cox has issues but he can play and he was damn good value.
Not sure why they drafted two OC's.

Raiders didnt shot themselves in the foot which is a change for them and i like the Campbell pickup. He will be a much better option than JaLardass...which really sucks actually.

For us, love Mathews and i thought AJ didnt give up much for him considering we went to #12 and it really only cost us a 2nd and Dobbins while getting a 6th and moving up in the 4th.
Like Butler a lot too but he gave up too much to trade up and Stuckey could be a real gem. Cam Thomas is good value but im not sold on him but if he can be a good starter in a couple years the it was a great pick.The last two picks sucked. Crompton stinks and we could of got a clipboard holder anywhere and Lefevour was on the board if they want to waste a pick that way.

AFC West is going to be a better division this season

Boltjolt
04-25-2010, 12:26 AM
KC spent a 1st round pick on Dorsey and a 1st on Jackson along with a 3rd on Magee (who impressed more than the first two as a rookie). We also added Shaun Smith who should be a decent rotational player.

Haley said Dorsey will see time at NT. We'll have to wait and see.

And I think Arenas was a big reach, but he is a great tackler and an elite returner on special teams. Should have taken him later though. A 3rd round prospect. Asomoah however was a steal. 2nd best G in round 3 is a steal no doubt.

Oh and McCluster is anything but a wasted pick. He's gonna be a bigger playmaker on offense than anyone who was drafted in the division. It's no fluke that he tore up the SEC, including running all over Alabama, Florida and mainly Tennessee.

He'll be a good slot WR but thats all. Dude is 165 lbs. He wont be a RB in the NFL and after they give him a handfull of carries in preseason and he gets stuffed by finger tackles, they will realize he wont workout there. Casserly even said he is strickly a slot WR and thats how teams see him. KC wil see it too if they dont already and they did say he will be a WR.

KCStud
04-25-2010, 12:59 AM
He'll be a good slot WR but thats all. Dude is 165 lbs. He wont be a RB in the NFL and after they give him a handfull of carries in preseason and he gets stuffed by finger tackles, they will realize he wont workout there. Casserly even said he is strickly a slot WR and thats how teams see him. KC wil see it too if they dont already and they did say he will be a WR.

That's why they drafted him. We have Thomas Jones and JC at RB. McCluster is also 172 lbs, only like 10 lbs less than Wes Welker even though McCluster is all muscle from the waist up.

tebowisdabomb
04-25-2010, 05:48 AM

Obviously I am a Raiderfan and like to see rival fans calling it like they see it but...

This is what Kiper said the day we drafted JR, so I don't put alot of faith in him

Mel Kiper on Jamarcus Russell
"JaMarcus Russell's gonna immediately energize that Raider Nation, that fanbase, that football team -- on the practice field, in that locker room -- three years from now you could be looking at a guy that's certainly one of the elite top-five quarterbacks in this league"

Broncos_OTM
04-25-2010, 06:46 AM
I agree.

Darren Sproless is not a feature back..So fof course Matthews has a legit chance to start. Who was your noe tackle again last year.. oh thats right noone

Broncos_OTM
04-25-2010, 06:47 AM
Obviously I am a Raiderfan and like to see rival fans calling it like they see it but...

This is what Kiper said the day we drafted JR, so I don't put alot of faith in him

re you a broncos quitter raider lover?

nickademus
04-25-2010, 06:55 AM
Matthews if he stays healthy will be a perfect fit for the Charger offense. Worth going at 12 in my opinion. But giving up that number 2 was painful.

And yes I agree this guy will help the Chargers put up 30 routinely. Having a legitmate play action threat again will do wonders, wonders, for the passing game. Covering Gates and keeping containment on the draws will be a real challenge for anyone come up against the Bolts O.

The question is how many will they give up each week? Unless some of the young guys they have mature quickly on that DLine I think stopping long drives in critical games will continue to be a problem.

this chargers team reminds me of the 05 donks. should score but will also let you score. if your Dline plays like they did at the end of the regular season then never mind but you could say the same about our d at the begining of the season. you guys need norv to demote himself to oc and find a true leader to get you through the playoffs. Jackson needs a new contract but I like your team without him just not as much. I hate rivers but dude is a top 5 qb and could start moving up that list. didnt you guys have some OL issues last season? well good luck! good draft.

400HZ
04-25-2010, 07:02 AM

So which analyst was right on Russell and gave him a undrafted free agent grade pre-draft? Anybody who covers something as volatile and temperamental as the NFL draft is going to make some mistakes.

nickademus
04-25-2010, 07:05 AM
"Draft board value" is BS. That's a compilation of the rater's opinions. As has been stated, "Value" is a concept made up by media nerds to give the gullible public something to talk about. Somebody's gotta be number one, right?

If a player is near what the team wants, then they should get the player for the team. The team "values" that player in their own idiosyncratic way.

I do not value Kiper's opinion.....

this is what coaches say after they waste picks on nickel cbs who will be replaced within the year by street free agents.

400HZ
04-25-2010, 07:15 AM
this chargers team reminds me of the 05 donks. should score but will also let you score. if your Dline plays like they did at the end of the regular season then never mind but you could say the same about our d at the begining of the season. you guys need norv to demote himself to oc and find a true leader to get you through the playoffs. Jackson needs a new contract but I like your team without him just not as much. I hate rivers but dude is a top 5 qb and could start moving up that list. didnt you guys have some OL issues last season? well good luck! good draft.

The Chargers are once again counting on Ron Rivera to work enough miracles to keep a talent-deficient defense near the middle of the road. Cam Thomas is a slug and I don't expect anything good from him, but Ryon Bingham and Ogemdi Nwaghbuo will both be healthy again and they are both solid rotational players. Donald Butler has stud potential and the Chargers could get a big boost in the middle if he steps up early and supplants Stephen Cooper. The bottom line though is that it's going to once again be an offensive show in San Diego.

tebowisdabomb
04-25-2010, 07:38 AM
So which analyst was right on Russell and gave him a undrafted free agent grade pre-draft? Anybody who covers something as volatile and temperamental as the NFL draft is going to make some mistakes.

Understand what you are saying but damn man, that statement and he becomes the biggest bust in the history of the NFL? This guy is considered the God of scouting in the minds of many

Br0nc0Buster
04-25-2010, 07:42 AM
outside of the Tebow pick I think the Broncos had a very good draft

Chiefs got some good players, but I think they reached for their guys
not a big deal though if they pan out

Raiders drafted like a real NFL team for once

Cito Pelon
04-25-2010, 08:40 AM
Comparing him to AP is premature no doubt but so is calling him a reach. Rumors are that a couple of teams were targeting him at 14.

Kinda funny Denver scooped Moreno from SD's clutches last year, and SD traded up what 16 spots in the 1st this year to grab Matthews.

400HZ
04-25-2010, 09:07 AM
Kinda funny Denver scooped Moreno from SD's clutches last year, and SD traded up what 16 spots in the 1st this year to grab Matthews.

They were both drafted #12. It's going to be interesting to see which has the better career. Maybe this player rivalry can fill the void left by the nonsensical Rivers/Cutler rivalry that you were all so, so wrong on. :rofl:

Drek
04-25-2010, 09:46 AM

Sure everyone makes mistakes, but Kiper makes a ton.

He's a joke in NFL scouting circles. He doesn't watch tape outside of high profile games. He calls his sources and compiles a list of how teams are roughly valuing guys, which he then skews with his own personal bias.

Meanwhile you've got tenured NFL vets like Scott Pioli saying Mayock, and only Mayock, could work in the field if he wanted because he doesn't rely on what team sources feed him (which is often misinformation) he instead scouts the draft himself, watching film more than pretty much everyone, and complies his own rankings.

Mayock is more accurate than Kiper by a long shot. So is Pat Kirwan (former NFL front office man) and Gil Brandt (often referred to as the "godfather" of the draft) does too. Hell, Kirwan got 25 of the 32 first rounders right including 11 in a row at one point.

Kiper can't hold up when you look at his actual track record. He does better than the average fan but he doesn't stack up to the real professionals.

Cito Pelon
04-25-2010, 10:16 AM
They were both drafted #12. It's going to be interesting to see which has the better career. Maybe this player rivalry can fill the void left by the nonsensical Rivers/Cutler rivalry that you were all so, so wrong on. :rofl:

Sure will be. I'm sure we'll be going at it for quite some time. LOL

As for the AFCW, seems like Denver improved themselves the most in the draft. OAK, SD, KC, not so much.

Just doesn't seem to me like OAK, KC, SD added much impact past round one.

Vegas_Bronco
04-25-2010, 10:20 AM
I think we did a better job in the draft of addressing SD's needs that they actually did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3nibHPIayY&feature=related

usually the fool looking back at the play is the olineman that missed his assignment. Who you be #63...better yet, oooowww..whatya say?

I thought SD would address their OLine.

Tombstone RJ
04-25-2010, 10:21 AM

You make a great point. Let's see who pans out over the next 5 years. The chuggers paid a pretty steep price for a RB that is as pro ready as any in the draft. With the revamping of the interior of the offensive line for the Broncos, Moreno should have a much better 2nd season.

boltaneer
04-25-2010, 10:32 AM
You make a great point. Let's see who pans out over the next 5 years. The chuggers paid a pretty steep price for a RB that is as pro ready as any in the draft. With the revamping of the interior of the offensive line for the Broncos, Moreno should have a much better 2nd season.

Was it really a steep price? And isn't the consensus that Moreno was the most pro ready, complete back in the draft?

Do you know the parameters of that trade? Compare it to the Tebow trade and tell me what you think.

Tombstone RJ
04-25-2010, 10:39 AM
Was it really a steep price? And isn't the consensus that Moreno was the most pro ready, complete back in the draft?

Do you know the parameters of that trade? Compare it to the Tebow trade and tell me what you think.

I think both teams reached but the Broncos stockpiled picks before they moved up to take Tebow. AJ Smith must have feared that another team was going to take Mathews and he might have been right. That being said, RB is one of the easier positions in the draft to find talent that can help right away. I'm suprised AJ rated Mathews so highly that he moved up to #12 to get him. To me, it's kind of a desparation move on Sandy Eggos front office's part.

Boltjolt
04-25-2010, 11:26 AM
That's why they drafted him. We have Thomas Jones and JC at RB. McCluster is also 172 lbs, only like 10 lbs less than Wes Welker even though McCluster is all muscle from the waist up.

He was under 170 at his pro day. He was 165 all season and he just gained a little to appease the scouts. I dont really care...he is a small guy who will go down very easy. He isnt as big or strong as Sproles and he goes down easy.

Cito Pelon
04-25-2010, 11:26 AM
I think both teams reached but the Broncos stockpiled picks before they moved up to take Tebow. AJ Smith must have feared that another team was going to take Mathews and he might have been right. That being said, RB is one of the easier positions in the draft to find talent that can help right away. I'm suprised AJ rated Mathews so highly that he moved up to #12 to get him. To me, it's kind of a desparation move on Sandy Eggos front office's part.

Yeah, SD was desperate for an RB. AJ Smith thought trading a 2nd to get Jacob Hester in the 3d round a couple years ago might be the answer. They really wanted Moreno last year, but Denver jumped them. SD absolutely needed an RB fast this draft, they didn't f around, they went for it. Matthews was a reach trading up to 12, but SD absolutely had to have a bigtime RB after playing cute for a couple years, releasing Turner to Atlanta.

Boltjolt
04-25-2010, 11:27 AM

SD wasnt interested in Moreno. Ive seen this posted a few times here and dont get why. They never expressed a interest in a RB early last year and only picked one in the whole draft in the 4th and he was cut.

Boltjolt
04-25-2010, 11:32 AM
Yeah, SD was desperate for an RB. AJ Smith thought trading a 2nd to get Jacob Hester in the 3d round a couple years ago might be the answer. They really wanted Moreno last year, but Denver jumped them. SD absolutely needed an RB fast this draft, they didn't f around, they went for it. Matthews was a reach trading up to 12, but SD absolutely had to have a bigtime RB after playing cute for a couple years, releasing Turner to Atlanta.

No they didnt...again, dont know why a few keep saying that.

boltaneer
04-25-2010, 11:45 AM
Bronco fans like to say that the Chargers wanted Moreno because it gives them some sort of satisfaction.

The Chargers will never say either way so I don't know how people here can say that the truth.

Based on what I followed from the events leading up to last year's draft, they wanted a pass rusher since Merriman was and still is a question mark and they found out that Shaun Phillips is not the same player without Merriman's presence on the other side.

I never once got the impression that they wanted to draft Moreno or any other running back in the first round.

Cito Pelon
04-25-2010, 12:02 PM
Bronco fans like to say that the Chargers wanted Moreno because it gives them some sort of satisfaction.

The Chargers will never say either way so I don't know how people here can say that the truth.

Based on what I followed from the events leading up to last year's draft, they wanted a pass rusher since Merriman was and still is a question mark and they found out that Shaun Phillips is not the same player without Merriman's presence on the other side.

I never once got the impression that they wanted to draft Moreno or any other running back in the first round.

I say AJ wanted Moreno real bad. There was rumors before the draft. AJ knew LT2 was done, he knew Hester was a bust. He knew Sproles couldn't carry the load longtime. AJ released Michael Turner. He wanted Moreno real bad, Denver scooped him.

Hence, SD had to reach to get Ryan Matthews. SD had no choice, they had to have Matthews, SD was painted into a corner.

boltaneer
04-25-2010, 12:09 PM
I say AJ wanted Moreno real bad. There was rumors before the draft. AJ knew LT2 was done, he knew Hester was a bust. He knew Sproles couldn't carry the load longtime. AJ released Michael Turner. He wanted Moreno real bad, Denver scooped him.

Hence, SD had to reach to get Ryan Matthews. SD had no choice, they had to have Matthews, SD was painted into a corner.

Well, we all have our opinions.

Not sure how Matthews will turn out but I like the fact that he was a big Charger and LT fan growing up. He wore 21 in college because of LT and he turned down the chance to wear 21 even though LT gave him his 'approval', out of respect for his legacy here. Just seems like a great fit and a great kid to pass the torch to.

Based on Moreno's performance last year, I'm happy that AJ had no interest in him. :)

It will be fun comparing the two against each other over the years. As 400 said, it could replace the Rivers/Culter rivalry. :sunshine:

Dogsweat
04-25-2010, 12:22 PM
AFC West Predictions:

San Diego 12-4

Broncos 10-6

Oakland 9-7

Kansas City 6-10

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/writers/ross_tucker/10/07/radar/brian-dawkins.jpg

Boltjolt
04-25-2010, 12:24 PM

The fact we had 13.5 million tied up between LT and Sproles says it. They werent going to draft a RB in the first round and it wasnt even a big topic on all the forums. Some posters thought it might be a RB but thats the kids at .com. And i agree, it was never any kind of imppressin that RB was a priority or they wouldnt have waited till the 4th in a weak RB class.

Bronco Yoda
04-25-2010, 12:26 PM
The Raitards seemed to have had a good draft for once. What's up with this?

Boltjolt
04-25-2010, 12:29 PM

Well you would be wrong. Very wrong but believe what you want. Your whole theory is wrong. If we were painted into a corner with Mathews, then you guys were caught in a faultline trading what you did for Tebow.

They just liked Mathews who fits teh system really well . I dont think giving up a 2nd and a LB who was said to not be with the team this season anyways is giving up a lot. Then you throw in that we got a 6th in the deal and we moved up in the 4th from it as well. That isnt giving up too much. Yu gave up a 2nd, 3rd and 4th for a QB who everyone says is the biggest reach in the draft.

Boltjolt
04-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Well, we all have our opinions.

Not sure how Matthews will turn out but I like the fact that he was a big Charger and LT fan growing up. He wore 21 in college because of LT and he turned down the chance to wear 21 even though LT gave him his 'approval', out of respect for his legacy here. Just seems like a great fit and a great kid to pass the torch to.

Based on Moreno's performance last year, I'm happy that AJ had no interest in him. :)

It will be fun comparing the two against each other over the years. As 400 said, it could replace the Rivers/Culter rivalry. :sunshine:

I never saw that LT gave his approval. Only heard that Mathews said out of respect he would wear another number.

KCStud
04-25-2010, 01:42 PM
He was under 170 at his pro day. He was 165 all season and he just gained a little to appease the scouts. I dont really care...he is a small guy who will go down very easy. He isnt as big or strong as Sproles and he goes down easy.

Hmm well he's about 175 now. I'm sure they will have him put weight on before the season too. Regardless of that, he hasn't been hurt in 2 seasons. Played every game against the best defenses in the nation. Florida, Alabama, LSU and Tennessee are good defenses and tore them up. Especially Tennessee.

McCluster also benched more reps on 225 lbs than Eric Berry who weighs almost 40 lbs more than him. Kid is strong for his size.

400HZ
04-25-2010, 01:46 PM
The fact we had 13.5 million tied up between LT and Sproles says it. They werent going to draft a RB in the first round and it wasnt even a big topic on all the forums. Some posters thought it might be a RB but thats the kids at .com. And i agree, it was never any kind of imppressin that RB was a priority or they wouldnt have waited till the 4th in a weak RB class.

Denver "stealing" Moreno from San Diego is something that's brought up around here on a regular basis even though the Chargers almost certainly had no intention of drafting him. In addition to those reasons that you mentioned, AJ Smith would never spend a first round pick on a running back with lackluster measurables. Even Hester the great white bust ran a 4.5. :rofl:

Xenos
04-25-2010, 01:55 PM
He just can't seem to get over the hump is all really...
Him and every other Chargers HC. We're probably cursed until something happens.

Xenos
04-25-2010, 02:07 PM
Except that we were not targeting Moreno anyways. English was the pick weeks before. Thank you for listening to our beat writer though. Maybe that's why you got Tebow in the first round.

Circle Orange
04-25-2010, 04:22 PM

Surely, a sign of armageddon, toad storms, and pestilence.

too bad Sandy Leggo couldn't find a legit, beefy running back. I look forward to Phillips Magnesia lumbering for first downs when Sproles isn't in the lineup. ;D

As for the raiders...maybe they're tired of being laughed at. Not that they haven't earned it, mind you.

Boltjolt
04-25-2010, 05:20 PM
Hmm well he's about 175 now. I'm sure they will have him put weight on before the season too. Regardless of that, he hasn't been hurt in 2 seasons. Played every game against the best defenses in the nation. Florida, Alabama, LSU and Tennessee are good defenses and tore them up. Especially Tennessee.

McCluster also benched more reps on 225 lbs than Eric Berry who weighs almost 40 lbs more than him. Kid is strong for his size.

Dont really matter. This isnt college anymore but just to counter your claims:

Tennesee was 65th against the rush, against Alabama he had 6 carries for 15 yards...really tore them up, didnt play Florida last season, had a good game vs LSU. He will be a good slot WR imo.

bowtown
04-25-2010, 06:00 PM
Chefs,raiders,chargers

I love it. IMHO part of my dissatisfaction with the past few seasons has to do with how boring this division has become. I would love it to return to it's status of the toughest division in football, with the Chiefs-Raider-Broncos rivalries back to being meaningful, and the Chargers picking in the top 5 every year once again just back to the Sunday funnies.

Tombstone RJ
04-25-2010, 06:10 PM
I love it. IMHO part of my dissatisfaction with the past few seasons has to do with how boring this division has become. I would love it to return to it's status of the toughest division in football, with the Chiefs-Raider-Broncos rivalries back to being meaningful, and the Chargers picking in the top 5 every year once again just back to the Sunday funnies.

Denver is still the gold standard for the AFCW.

KCStud
04-25-2010, 07:48 PM
Dont really matter. This isnt college anymore but just to counter your claims:

Tennesee was 65th against the rush, against Alabama he had 6 carries for 15 yards...really tore them up, didnt play Florida last season, had a good game vs LSU. He will be a good slot WR imo.

Fair game, but I don't think it's fair to judge him because of his size. Perfect example is DeSean Jackson. He's the same size and he's doing just fine.

Circle Orange
04-25-2010, 08:00 PM

I remember when Tom Jackson said on ESPN that the AFC West used to be so tough you could win 12 games and not know who's going to the playoffs!

Good stuff. :thumbs: