PDA

View Full Version : Schefflers Replacement

prunch
04-23-2010, 08:57 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/04/23/marquez-branson-to-replace-tony-scheffler/

Josh McDaniels said Friday night the player most likely to replace Tony Scheffler at the Broncos’ “receiving” tight end position is Marquez Branson. Undrafted last year out of Central Arkansas, the 6-2, 241-pound Branson spent his entire rookie season on the Broncos’ practice squad.

“‘You didn’t see him last year but we have very high expectations and high hopes for him,” McDaniels said. “”He was Antonio Gates and all those guys last year on the (scout) team. Did a nice job for us in terms of showing our defense what we wanted him to do. Learned a lot.”

Dr. Broncenstein
04-23-2010, 08:59 PM
How can we possibly fill the void of an oft-injured malcontent tight end? Somebody... get me a practice squad player, stat.

Dukes
04-23-2010, 09:00 PM
We'll find out in TC. I'd rather see what he does than use a pick on a TE

Kaylore
04-23-2010, 09:02 PM
That's good to know. I'd love to see us develop some players off the practice squad. Everette Pedescloux, perhaps?

outdoor_miner
04-23-2010, 09:06 PM
That's good to know. I'd love to see us develop some players off the practice squad. Everette Pedescloux, perhaps?

I'm hoping we didn't draft young DL because of Pedescloux and Baker... Wishful thinking, I know, but a guy can dream about having young DL talent, right?

BlaK-Argentina
04-23-2010, 09:06 PM
Wait, Scheffler is gone? What did we get?

Popps
04-23-2010, 09:10 PM

Baker, let's hope.

Broncobiv
04-23-2010, 09:11 PM
When does Richard Quinn get in the mix? Is he there strictly as a blocking TE, maybe getting playing time once Graham is gone?

Kaylore
04-23-2010, 09:12 PM
Baker, let's hope.

Of course but I was speaking of practice squad players.

TotallyScrewed
04-23-2010, 09:26 PM
When does Richard Quinn get in the mix? Is he there strictly as a blocking TE, maybe getting playing time once Graham is gone?

Yeah...I mean that's what Scheffler didn't do.

s0phr0syne
04-23-2010, 09:28 PM
We picked up some very highly touted UDFAs last year, and I've been wondering in a few posts recently what kind of progress they've had.

Great to hear McD confirm that Branson has developed well and shows promise for this upcoming year.

Like everyone else, I'm curious how Pedescleaux and Baker will be in TC.

watermock
04-23-2010, 09:35 PM
Wow.

A self proclaimed genius has only so much time.

watermock
04-23-2010, 09:43 PM
We picked up some very highly touted UDFAs last year, and I've been wondering in a few posts recently what kind of progress they've had.

Great to hear McD confirm that Branson has developed well and shows promise for this upcoming year.

Considering Balt has about 5 more to wipe our ass with, maybe we can pick 1 up on waivers.

BlaK-Argentina
04-23-2010, 09:55 PM
Just found out that we sent Scheffler to the freaking Lions! LMAO at that bitch!

Popps
04-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Of course but I was speaking of practice squad players.

True. He was on the team but was never activated, right?

He's a forgotten man. Hopefully we'll hear from him this summer in camp/PS.

Popps
04-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Wow.

A self proclaimed genius has only so much time.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/23/25551007_70c7a32d19.jpg

pdaddy
04-23-2010, 10:59 PM

Pedescleaux hasn't been on the team's roster for a couple of months (at least). Don't know if he's coming back. I can't find any news on what the hell happened to him.

BroncoBuff
04-23-2010, 11:08 PM
If Quinn can manage maybe 25 catches a year, then Graham and Quinn are marginally like Graham and Watson.

MVPlaya
04-24-2010, 06:18 AM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DVK3OFhGiRs&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DVK3OFhGiRs&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_detailpage&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Drek
04-24-2010, 06:26 AM
I'm hoping we didn't draft young DL because of Pedescloux and Baker... Wishful thinking, I know, but a guy can dream about having young DL talent, right?

I don't think its wishful thinking with Baker. We carried him on the 53 man all last year after giving him a big UDFA signing bonus. He finished college at a small school so his conditioning wasn't up to NFL standards and he was raw, but I'd expect him to be given a real good shot at backing up Jamal Williams at NT for 2010.

Rich Karlis
04-24-2010, 06:39 AM
<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qi5pBWjdd6Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qi5pBWjdd6Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

Kaylore
04-24-2010, 07:24 AM
True. He was on the team but was never activated, right?

He's a forgotten man. Hopefully we'll hear from him this summer in camp/PS.

He dressed for some games, and I think he may have seen the field in one of two. Hopefully some of these young guys can start to develop. Being around JW will really help to mentor and grow them.

cmhargrove
04-24-2010, 08:25 AM
I remember watching the Branson highlights last year and being pretty impressed. The question was - how do they choose to activate him when they have Hillis and Scheffler on the roster?

Well, I guess now there's roster space, and the guy will get a chance to compete. Good luck Marques...

Arkie
04-27-2010, 04:37 PM
He was Antonio Gates and all those guys last year on the (scout) team. Did a nice job for us in terms of showing our defense what we wanted him to do. Learned a lot.

Antonio Gates 2.0? You never know. Gates wasn't drafted either. Branson can play fullback and H-Back too. He's a Peyton Hillis clone at 6'2", 247lbs. He was on the practice squad because of Scheffler and Hillis, but maybe Scheff saw the writing on the wall in practice last year, and that caused him to be dysfunctional in the locker room as the season ended.

meangene
04-27-2010, 06:28 PM
I don't think its wishful thinking with Baker. We carried him on the 53 man all last year after giving him a big UDFA signing bonus. He finished college at a small school so his conditioning wasn't up to NFL standards and he was raw, but I'd expect him to be given a real good shot at backing up Jamal Williams at NT for 2010.

And, he only played three years of college ball (two at PSU and one at Hampton) and was actually playing DE at Hampton so he was pretty raw coming out.

Requiem
04-27-2010, 06:28 PM
Been saying this since last year. Extremely high on him!

meangene
04-27-2010, 06:31 PM

He will replace Graham in the next couple of years is my expectation. Same skill set and fit in our offense. He is a perfect example of a New England draft pick - sit two years and then take over for an aging vet.