PDA

View Full Version : I can't believe we were able to get get 2 top 5 ranked WRs and still address the OL

KevinJames
04-23-2010, 08:29 PM
Wow I must say I was a little shaken up by the Tebow pick, I still don't think its a good pick bad value but I like the kid and now that hes a Bronco I will support him and I hope he pans out to be great!

So tebow pick aside WOW :thumbsup: @ McDaniels and X these dudes really nailed it

http://www.deseretnews.com/photos/midres/2229609.jpghttp://bleedgreenforever.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/walton-aug09.jpg http://ladiesdotdotdot.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/decker2.jpg

Mike Mayock had D.Thomas ranked 2 and he had Erick Decker ranked 5. Thomas fills the deep threat vertical guy role and hes big strong and physical, Eric Decker fills the possession role and is big strong and physical, looks like we finally might see Eddie Royal being used like Wes Welker at least thats what you would hope.

Zane and JD grabbing these 2 for the o-line wow, awesome they fell right into our laps

again :thumbs: amazing draft now spend the rest on the defense or a kr and it will be a A+ draft for me even despite the Tebow pick. I really can't see how anyone can knock our 2nd day.

Bronco Boy
04-23-2010, 08:31 PM
A couple risky picks and some safer picks. Nice mix I must say.

Tombstone RJ
04-23-2010, 08:34 PM
Fact is, the Broncos are a better team with all these picks. Oline was addressed as well as offensive scoring. Both the running game and the passing game just got better despite how you rate Tebow. Me likey.

DarkHorse
04-23-2010, 08:34 PM
I like this draft so far - even with the Tebow pic which is slowing growing on me.

KevinJames
04-23-2010, 08:40 PM
Fact is, the Broncos are a better team with all these picks. Oline was addressed as well as offensive scoring. Both the running game and the passing game just got better despite how you rate Tebow. Me likey.

At the very least Tebow could be a wildcat goal line guy his first season like Mike Vick was for the eagles, except Tebow is actually built up and will be hard to stop, is it gimmicky sure but who cares we had trouble getting into the endzone.

Tombstone RJ
04-23-2010, 08:44 PM
At the very least Tebow could be a wildcat goal line guy his first season like Mike Vick was for the eagles, except Tebow is actually built up and will be hard to stop, is it gimmicky sure but who cares we had trouble getting into the endzone.

I really think McD wants Tebow to be the team leader. I think he'll be given every opportunity to compete for the starting postion. I think Tebow has the potential to be the next Steve Young type of QB. There's been unconventional QBs that have won at the highest levels in the NFL and certainly Tebow fits into that mold.

Dukes
04-23-2010, 08:45 PM
I really think McD wants Tebow to be the team leader. I think he'll be given every opportunity to compete for the starting postion. I think Tebow has the potential to be the next Steve Young type of QB. There's been unconventional QBs that have won at the highest levels in the NFL and certainly Tebow fits into that mold.

That's what I'm thinking/hoping for as well.

barryr
04-23-2010, 08:48 PM
I am happy with this draft. Thomas could be a big-time WR without the off field drama Marshall provided. Decker is a tough WR with nice size.

I am not sold on Tebow as a QB, but there's no doubt he can be a very effective runner/ catcher with the ball, so it's not like he wouldn't be of any use if doesn't make it at QB.

The 2 OL I'm happy with as well. Bigger and tougher than what they had previously inside, but also can move too.

I think you have to be so much in hate with McDaniels to at least not be somewhat happy with this draft.

cutthemdown
04-23-2010, 08:51 PM

What could make it work is Tebow probably pretty physical and athletic. You might be able to acually throw it to him if he lines up at WR and Moreno taking the snap in some wildhorse thingamabob. He probably can block some also. It's a strange pick, but we will see what happens.

Tebow is sort of a gamer. You can't count out guys like that.

Rohirrim
04-23-2010, 08:53 PM
Decker looks like Ben Afleck. Ha!

Fusionfrontman
04-23-2010, 08:54 PM
I think we will use Tebow like everyone mentioned, but we will groom him to be QBOTF in the next few years. At least you hope so. LEt him have an immediate impact as a wildcat/SLASH kinda guy, and groom him for the future at same time.
It's actually pretty genius if you ask me.

barryr
04-23-2010, 08:55 PM
I think we will use Tebow like everyone mentioned, but we will groom him to be QBOTF in the next few years. At least you hope so. LEt him have an immediate impact as a wildcat/SLASH kinda guy, and groom him for the future at same time.

Steelers did that with Kordell Stewart and it was very effective.

gtown
04-23-2010, 08:58 PM
Love this draft. At first I was skeptical of the Tebow pick but I think if there is anyone who can make him into a top flight QB its McD.

Lets get some DL tomorrow.

OABB
04-23-2010, 09:31 PM
Steelers did that with Kordell Stewart and it was very effective.

Yeah, it helped us win our first superbowl.

snowspot66
04-23-2010, 09:32 PM

Have to agree with this. What better way to get him used to the speed of the game than to have him play but without the pressure of the starting QB?

OBF1
04-23-2010, 09:39 PM
And to think... Just 24 hours ago most were running around like a prom queen who was dating her 1st cousin.

Hamrob
04-23-2010, 09:55 PM
I'll get on the Tebow bandwagon. I'm not as concerned about his throwing motion as everyone else. I think he will work on that and he has a strong arm.

My concern is his ability to read defenses and ability to look the safety off. He's seems to be a little bit of a fred flintstone type dude.

I would have took Ducasse over Beadles...but, at least it's a guard and I love the Walton pick.

Decker is a nice possession receiver with strong hands...but, injury prone?

I give our draft a B+

I absolutely love the Thomas pick!!!

Sassy
04-23-2010, 09:57 PM
ROFL!ROFL!Yeah, it helped us win our first superbowl.

I can still see Romanowski....LOL

Paladin
04-23-2010, 09:58 PM
And to think... Just 24 hours ago most were running around like a prom queen who was dating her 1st cousin.

I think I understand you.

But in Kansas, that would be considered to be a big date.........

maher_tyler
04-23-2010, 09:59 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d-qodBTlMtA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d-qodBTlMtA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AANukKd64X0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AANukKd64X0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

BroncoLifer
04-23-2010, 10:00 PM
Yeah, it helped us win our first superbowl.

Well played, sir.

strafen
04-23-2010, 10:06 PM
McDaniels has been able to make a couple of picks that saved him from my wrath.
First of all, I love the Tebow pick. I coudn't have been any happier.
The 2nd day of the draft didn't look too hot, but McD was able to pull it off by drafting JD Walton and Zane Beadles. Two key picks we desperately needed.

Getting another WR when we could've gotten a LB, bugs me.

BroncoInferno
04-23-2010, 10:14 PM
The 2nd day of the draft didn't look too hot, but McD was able to pull it off by drafting JD Walton and Zane Beadles. Two key picks we desperately needed.

We're fine at LB. Dumervil, DJ, and Ayers are all highly talented. Haggan is only decent, but overall the group looks solid. I am more bugged we didn't take a DL like Cody. But the picks we made were all needs. Decker will prove far more valuable than any of the available LBs. He's a baller.

azbroncfan
04-23-2010, 10:19 PM
Yep WR, OL and waterboy all addressed well.

DefensiveBehavior
04-23-2010, 10:22 PM

Not really a legit LB to be had at 87 in my eyes. Get the same quality in the 5th,6th. Would of liked denver to trade up a few spots for shipley though...but do dig the decker selection at 87

Popps
04-23-2010, 10:23 PM
Good thread, KJ.

I'm with you. I had concerns yesterday, but as I said in my thread... if they rounded it out correctly today, the thing could still work out nicely, and they did just that.

2 highly touted interior OL prospects, and a forum favorite WR pick in the middle rounds.

Fuggin' sweet.

Tomorrow is gravy, and I think we can really just take the BPA at any position. Hopefully we'll go defense, but we've got the freedom to take the best guy sitting there.... and an extra pick to trade up, if we like.

yerner
04-23-2010, 10:29 PM
Like the two lineman, the rest is garbage. Hopefully, one of the wrs dont bust. I'm sorry i can't be a total homer, I would have drafted all lineman on both sides.

tebow is a ridiculous pick.

BroncoInferno
04-23-2010, 10:47 PM
Like the two lineman, the rest is garbage. Hopefully, one of the wrs dont bust. I'm sorry i can't be a total homer, I would have drafted all lineman on both sides.

tebow is a ridiculous pick.

How is it being a homer to like highly productive, talented guys like Thomas and Decker?

KevinJames
04-23-2010, 11:25 PM
^lol yeah I really don't get that logic

calling vertical threat 6'3 220+ lb WR with 4.3 speed garbage?

than Decker another 6'3 217 lb guy not the speedy threat like Thomas but a big productive possession wideout he was projected early 2nd we got him late 3rd.

Kaylore
04-23-2010, 11:33 PM
I'm not a big need Guy. However I think for O line we had to do something there. Our offense was also bad last year, so all these picks will help that sooner or later.

HAT
04-23-2010, 11:50 PM
Tomorrow is gravy, and I think we can really just take the BPA at any position. Hopefully we'll go defense, but we've got the freedom to take the best guy sitting there.... and an extra pick to trade up, if we like.

I wouldn't mind seeing them jump back in the 4th for Cam....

But if it doesn't happen I won't go all freaky like and bitch & moan that McX didn't take "my" guy. :yayaya:

mhgaffney
04-24-2010, 01:47 AM
It does look like McD got all the players he targeted.

How rare is that?

ZONA
04-24-2010, 02:05 AM
Not really a legit LB to be had at 87 in my eyes. Get the same quality in the 5th,6th. Would of liked denver to trade up a few spots for shipley though...but do dig the decker selection at 87

That would have cost us our only picks we have left. Nah, I would not have given anymore picks away to move up, not even for Ships.

Atwater His Ass
04-24-2010, 02:05 AM
It does look like McD got all the players he targeted.

How rare is that?

How can someone even say that?

You have zero idea what other teams are targeting. Everything is a smoke screen up until the actual pick is made on draft day.

Rausch 2.0
04-24-2010, 02:47 AM
I can't believe that after 3 hours of the draft I was doing Donks photoshops in laughter and 18 hours later I'm doing all I can not to cry in my beer...

eddie mac
04-24-2010, 04:15 AM
How can someone even say that?

You have zero idea what other teams are targeting. Everything is a smoke screen up until the actual pick is made on draft day.

Well Mayock stated he knew the Broncos had Thomas No1 WR on their board and they traded down twice and up once and still got him.

McDaniels told Tebow's father we were drafting him in the first round, actually earlier than he went.

Beadles was our No1 OG/OC prospect after the 1st rd ended.

Gerhart and Hardesty were targets for one of our 3rd rounders.

long beach bronco
04-24-2010, 04:51 AM
We now need a big return guy, I sure hope we use one of our remaining picks to pick up Jacoby Ford or Brandon James, I'm shocked neither of them have been drafted yet. Tremendous speed merchants.

Drek
04-24-2010, 05:55 AM

There wasn't a real great SILB choice available at 87, while Decker was insane value for that position.

Also, McDaniels gets railed on around here endlessly for not giving Shanahan's guys a shot, but when he keeps Woodyard and Larsen, putting them within reach of a starting spot if they play up to it, he's questioned for not getting enough talent.

McDaniels and co. obviously like Woodyard and Larsen. They also like Mario Haggan a lot, and have high expectations for Robert Ayers. Move Andra Davis gives the first three I mentioned a chance to fight for a job while Ayers and Reid battle for SOLB.

Larsen even moreso than Woodyard has a legit shot at that SILB job. He's a perfect fit for it. Haggan is a natural ILB himself and has about 15 pounds on Larsen, which obviously helps if your job is to be a two down gap stuffer, but Larsen will get a fair shot in camp to take the job away.

Same goes for the DL if you ask me. The FO obviously thinks very highly of Chris Baker (otherwise they wouldn't have carried him on the 53 man roster all year). They gave Pedescleaux an equal signing bonus to Baker (a good indication of how highly the ranked him as well) but he got hurt and never had the chance to make it off the practice squad. They seem to like these guys and want to give them a shot. Couple that with Ron Fields (who is only in his late 20's) and Ryan McBean (25) and we've already got some decent youth on the DL to go with a lot of quality veterans.

BMarsh615
04-24-2010, 06:54 AM
Can somebody explain to me why we should be happy with the Beadles pick? I wanted Denver to address the interior line just as much as anybody, but everything I have read about Beadles has been less than flattering. Most of the scouting reports have said he isn't a mauler and would be a good fit for the ZBS, that doesn't seem like an offensive lineman McDaniels should want.

I like every other pick though.

misturanderson
04-24-2010, 08:35 AM
Can somebody explain to me why we should be happy with the Beadles pick? I wanted Denver to address the interior line just as much as anybody, but everything I have read about Beadles has been less than flattering. Most of the scouting reports have said he isn't a mauler and would be a good fit for the ZBS, that doesn't seem like an offensive lineman McDaniels should want.

For one thing, he was mostly being scouted for his play at LT, so that probably impacts how he is seen as a mauler.

I'm reading the opposite though, that he is very aggressive and plays with great intensity all the way to the whistle to make up for his average athleticism. Plus he's smart as hell, he was a mechanical engineering major, and was a locker room leader and is a hard worker. Sounds a lot like almost every draft pick we've had the last 2 years.

DarkHorse
04-24-2010, 08:48 AM
We now need a big return guy, I sure hope we use one of our remaining picks to pick up Jacoby Ford or Brandon James, I'm shocked neither of them have been drafted yet. Tremendous speed merchants.

Doubt we draft for return with 2 picks left. We have McKinley coming back from injury and I believe he returned for us prior to getting hurt.

Obushma
04-24-2010, 08:54 AM

Zane Beadles is going to work just as hard as Tebow for a starting position on this team. The kid is a winner, smart as hell, and he ate Mt. Cody's lunch in the Sugar Bowl. He was recruited by Urban Meyers staff out of Utah, don't know if the coaching circles worked their magic. Whittingham and Meyer are still good friends, and we know that McD and Meyer have a relationship.

...anyways, here is his profile off the Utah Utes website

http://utahutes.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/beadles_zane00.html
UTAH: Became the fourth Ute offensive lineman--and the 14th Ute ever--to earn first-team All-America honors ... first-team All-American by the Football Writers Association of America (FWAA), College Football News and Phil Steele ... four-year starter played in 51 games and started in 50 ... Utah's 47 wins during his five years on the team (47-17) ranks as the second-most wins in a five-year span in Utah history ... started his last three years at left tackle after playing guard as a redshirt freshman ... three-time all-conference selection was first-team in 2008 and 2009 (second-team in 2007) ... regular season career statistics include 87 pancake blocks and 78 cut blocks ... totals two-time ESPN The Magazine/CoSIDA District VIII Academic All-District selection and a 2009 second-team Academic All-American ... three-time Academic all-MWC ... four-year member of Utah's Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC).

2009- First-team All-American by the Football Writers Association of America (FWAA), College Football News and Phil Steele ... Walter Camp and SI.com second-team All-American ... Sporting News third-team All-American ... first-team All-MWC ... finalist for the Lowe's Senior Class Award and Wuerffel Trophy ... second-team ESPN The Magazine Academic All-American ... played and started in all 13 games ... finished with the highest overall grade on the line (88%), winning 675 of his 770 total plays in regular season play (bowl stats were not kept) ... totaled 24 cuts and 13 pancake blocks ... season-best grade of 93% against Colorado State ... graded out at 90% or better in seven games (Oregon, Louisville, Colorado State, Wyoming, TCU, San Diego State and BYU) ... four cuts against Oregon and New Mexico ... three pancake blocks against Utah State and Air Force ... first-team ESPN The Magazine Academic All-District ... Academic all-MWC ... served on Utah's Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC).

2008-First-team All-MWC ... named Utah's Top Offensive Lineman ... played and started in 12 games (missed UNLV game with injury) ... led Utah with 40 knockdowns (bowl stats were not kept) ... had 42 pancake blocks and 27 cuts ... led Utah in pancake blocks (6) and knockdowns (7) against Air Force ... seven pancake blocks against Wyoming ... six cuts against New Mexico ... first-team ESPN The Magazine Academic All-District VIII ... Academic all-MWC ... made the Athletic Director's Honor Roll... member of SAAC.

2007-Second-team all-conference ... started all 13 games at left tackle ... moved from guard to tackle in preseason camp ... participated in 856 plays in the regular season (bowl stats were not kept) to rank second on the line ... averaged 71.4 plays per game ... totaled 22 pancake blocks, 37 knockdowns and 17 cuts ... season-high eight knockdowns vs. BYU ... achieved the best overall grade on the line in six games ... season-best grade of 89% was against Louisville ... Academic all-MWC ... made the Athletic Director's Honor Roll... member of SAAC.

2006-Played in all 13 games and started 12 at left guard (came off the bench against BYU after missing practice with a concussion) ... in 12 regular season games (bowl stats were not kept), he participated in 696 plays ... totaled 10 pancake blocks, 10 cut blocks and 19 knockdowns ... received the highest grade (83%) of the Utah offensive linemen in his very first college game, which was against UCLA ... season-best grade of 87% against both Northern Arizona and TCU ... made the Dean's List and the Athletic Director's Honor Roll.

2005-Redshirt.

HIGH SCHOOL: First-team all-state, all-region lineman played both ways for Hillcrest High (Utah) ... Hillcrest team captain and three-year starter did not miss a game during his high school career ... won his team's "Top Lineman" award as a senior after recording 93 tackles, six sacks and an interception for the defense and not allowing a sack as an offensive tackle ... lettered three years in baseball and two in basketball ... honorable mention all-state and first-team all-region baseball player in 2005 ... baseball team captain was a second-team all-region player in 2004 ... National Honor Society ... ranked 37th out of a class of 542 with a 3.92 GPA.

Drek
04-24-2010, 09:10 AM

Where are you reading that from first of all.

NFL.com says he has good strength and plays non-stop. He's 310 pounds. He is NOT a good ZBS fit.

The only consistent knock I've seen is that he spent the last three years at tackle and needs to move into guard at the next level. Where we want him to play anyways.

Cito Pelon
04-24-2010, 09:36 AM
I'd be happy to complain about passing up D talent, but OTOH the team addressed some needs very well on the OL without reaching. Can't complain about that. Gotta love the WR's blocking ability as well as their receiving ability, it's a big deal to have good blockers at WR.