PDA

View Full Version : J.D. Walton, Center, Baylor

Broncoman13
04-23-2010, 07:26 PM
J.D. Walton
Height: 6-2⅝ | Weight: 300 | 40-Time: 5.15

Official Bio

Strengths:
Good size and bulk --- Tough and physical --- Finisher who plays with a nasty demeanor and has a killer instinct --- Excellent leadership qualities --- Gets a big push in the run game --- Stout at the point of attack --- Mobile with decent range --- Gets to second level --- Can hit a moving target --- Smart with great awareness --- Competitive --- Motor runs non-stop --- Hard worker --- Durable --- Lots of quality experience.

Weaknesses:
Limited athletically --- Not very quick or agile --- Feet aren't nimble and doesn't slide smoothly --- Is not overly powerful --- Won't always jolt defenders with a violent initial punch --- Can be almost too aggressive at times --- Frame might be maxed out --- May not have a lot of upside.

Notes:
"J.D." is short for Justin Daniel --- Was a three-year starter for the Bears and never missed a game --- Garnered 1st Team All-American honors from the Associated Press in 2009 --- Named 2nd Team All-Big 12 in 2009 --- Began his college career at Arizona State, where he redshirted in 2005 --- Sat out the 2006 season as a transfer --- Made regular appearances on the Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll for his performance in the classroom --- Doesn't possess eye-popping physical tools but makes up for it with top-notch intangibles and by doing all the little things --- Good football player and will challenge for a starting job.

Kaylore
04-23-2010, 07:35 PM
Solid pick, huge need, great value. Props to McD for showing prudence and letting him fall to you.

jutang
04-23-2010, 07:39 PM
solid pick. No fireworks or headlines with this one, but will have the greatest influence on this season's offensive success.

broncosteven
04-23-2010, 07:49 PM
I like to see they got a player on their board (I hope) at a need position.

TheDave
04-23-2010, 07:51 PM
J.Notes:
"J.D." is short for Justin Daniel --- Was a three-year starter for the Bears and never missed a game --- Garnered 1st Team All-American honors from the Associated Press in 2009 --- Named 2nd Team All-Big 12 in 2009 --- Began his college career at Arizona State, where he redshirted in 2005 --- Sat out the 2006 season as a transfer --- Made regular appearances on the Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll for his performance in the classroom --- Doesn't possess eye-popping physical tools but makes up for it with top-notch intangibles and by doing all the little things --- Good football player and will challenge for a starting job.

I have to say this for McKidd...

When he says he wants smart high character guys... he means it.

SouthStndJunkie
04-23-2010, 08:07 PM
Love this pick.

He was the center I wanted us to draft.

He will bring a nasty demeanor to the offensive line that we have missing since Nails retired.

FireFly
04-23-2010, 08:15 PM
great 2nd and 3rd rounds

Dr. Broncenstein
04-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Great picks today. This was no exception.

ColoradoBuff
04-23-2010, 08:42 PM
love this pick!

barryr
04-23-2010, 08:45 PM
I had the Broncos taking him in the 3rd round in my mock, so got one right anyway. He offers more size on the OL inside and toughness.

gyldenlove
04-23-2010, 08:46 PM
Good pick, this is what we need a roadgrading center.

tsiguy96
04-23-2010, 08:48 PM
great day, and finished even better with eric decker.

shanahan would have called decker a "first round talent" without his injury, not that its actually true but still.

BroncoInferno
04-23-2010, 09:39 PM
I have to say this for McKidd...

When he says he wants smart high character guys... he means it.

Whether you like the specific players or not, it is refeshing to see a coach put his money where his mouth is when he talks about character.

Dedhed
04-23-2010, 10:42 PM
Whether you like the specific players or not, it is refeshing to see a coach put his money where his mouth is when he talks about character.

I have been thinking the same thing for over a year. Started with Cutler, and he has not wavered. He believes in what he's doing.

TheDave
04-23-2010, 10:58 PM

I can't disagree with that...

strafen
04-23-2010, 11:34 PM
JD Walton was a solid pick. I really wanted Matt Tennant, but hey, I think we did good with Walton...

OCBronco
04-23-2010, 11:52 PM

Agreed. People often say, "give me a team full of guys like Dawkins, or Larsen, or Polamalu, and you'll win championships."

It's nice to have a coach who preaches this and backs it up with action.

strafen
04-23-2010, 11:52 PM
great day, and finished even better with eric decker.

Shanahan would have called decker a "first round talent" without his injury, not that its actually true but still.

stfu!

i4jelway7
04-29-2010, 04:54 AM
good article about J.D.

http://www.courier-gazette.com/articles/2010/04/28/sports_update/9582.txt

"Walton amassed 194 pancake blocks and was responsible for 26 touchdown-scoring blocks."

He is the king of pancakes, IHOP sponsorship coming

Kaylore
04-29-2010, 07:51 AM
good article about J.D.

http://www.courier-gazette.com/articles/2010/04/28/sports_update/9582.txt

"Walton amassed 194 pancake blocks and was responsible for 26 touchdown-scoring blocks."

He is the king of pancakes, IHOP sponsorship coming
He also was the best lineman in the senior bowl. The dolphin's staff kept rotating their offensive line every series for some weird reason. Every time JD was in, whether at center or guard, he handled his own. He pretty much dominated. He needs to work on anchoring as he can yield ground too much, but Tuten will help him with that. The pancake stat is derivative of his nasty streak.