PDA

View Full Version : C and G in rounds 2 and 3!

Popps
04-23-2010, 07:25 PM
Fantastic!

Sketchy strategy yesterday. (Though I like the players.)

No flash today... all business...

ZANE BEADLES, OG

Regarded as one of the elite offensive tackles in college football, most professional talent evaluators view Beadles as the ideal guard at the next level. The four-year starter does have past experience at that position, moving from guard to tackle during his sophomore season. The consensus feels that he is the school's best offensive lineman since the Jordan Gross era (1999-2002).

Beadles has been a model of consistency since arriving on Utah's campus. A tough athlete with a high threshold for pain, he's played with injuries that would sideline most (concussion, knee sprain, leg laceration), reluctantly sitting out just one game during his career. He went on to start 50-of-51 contests for the Utes, producing 313 knockdowns/key blocks while coming up with key hits on 45 touchdown drives.

Beadles comes from a sports-oriented extended family. His father, Brad Beadles, played baseball at Hutchinson Junior College. His stepmother, Jill, started at point guard for Concordia Lutheran, which qualified for the NAIA Final Four in 1993-94. His mother, Jamie Legerski, played basketball for Wyoming. His stepfather, Joe Legerski, is the women's basketball coach at Wyoming and a former Utah assistant.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/559528?tag=DraftTrackerTableData;DraftTrackerTable 45

J.D. WALTON, C

A tenacious drive blocker who brings back memories of former Notre Dame and Kansas City Chiefs standout, Tim Grunhard, Walton should use some of his signing bonus to buy an IHOP, as he has truly mastered the art of serving up the "pancake" block while at Baylor. With 194 knockdowns to his credit during his last two seasons, what makes those numbers even more impressive is that he delivered 26 touchdown-resulting blocks for a running attack that scored 45 times on the ground in the Bears' last 24 contests.

The unquestioned leader of Baylor's offensive line, and a captain of an offense that returned nine starters in 2009, he has been a mainstay in the middle of the field. He started his final 36 contests in the pivot since transferring to Baylor after beginning his collegiate career at Arizona State.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/drafttracker/2010/team/DEN?tag=DraftTrackerTableData;DraftTrackerTable80h ttp://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/drafttracker/2010/team/DEN?tag=DraftTrackerTableData;DraftTrackerTable80

Trenches, baby!

snowspot66
04-23-2010, 07:27 PM
I like multi year college starters in linemen. Always a good thing.

Harvitz81
Jason Smith (rams last year 4th pick) said that Walton was the best lineman at Baylor when he was there.

theAPAOps5
But I have been told that they were worse reaches than Tebow!

The teams OL just got much bigger!

listopencil
04-23-2010, 07:28 PM
I like it.

Popps
04-23-2010, 07:29 PM
This is sweet.

Broncoman13
Smith was the 2nd pick I believe... and it doesn't surprise me that Smith would have such a high level of respect for Walton. He was their leader, made the calls and was a very good Center for three years.

I really like what we've added so far. McD had a plan and he is executing to perfection!

jhns
I like the direction we have taken this draft. Every pick is at a position of need.

spdirty
04-23-2010, 07:30 PM
Absolutely positively LOVE todays picks.

Now take the last 3 picks and go defense.

Doggcow
04-23-2010, 07:31 PM
They will be plowing bitches out the way for Moreno in the redzone/3rd and shorts!

Moreno will be a top 10 Fantasy RB.

kane0730
04-23-2010, 07:32 PM
I love these picks!!!

Dukes
04-23-2010, 07:33 PM
Three of our four picks can come in and start from day one. Awesome.

orinjkrush
04-23-2010, 07:34 PM
guard..yes...
beadles.....WTF?

lostknight
04-23-2010, 07:37 PM
Yes! Now, a bit of depth at Corner would be nice.

Kaylore
04-23-2010, 07:39 PM
When you consider we addressed our needs on day two and kept our picks, I can live with Tebow now. Its a solid draft so far. The remaining picks can be luxury picks.

broncosteven
04-23-2010, 07:52 PM
When you consider we addressed our needs on day two and kept our picks, I can live with Tebow now. Its a solid draft so far. The remaining picks can be luxury picks.

Not much we can do about TT but hope he and mCd pan out.

Glad we got both a C and G.

Plus it was nice to see Floyd getting some more pub. Too bad Ernie Davis couldn't have been in Radio City with Floyd and Brown.

Dr. Broncenstein
04-23-2010, 08:03 PM
Day 2 was the shiznit. Awesome draft except for the drama yesterday... and I'm sort-of warming up to the Tebow pick.

Popps
04-23-2010, 08:04 PM

That's the key. That's what I hoped for in my OP.

If we came out in the 2/3 round and took a TE and a RB or some ****, I'm very concerned.

Instead, we came out and took a couple of the highest regarded interior O prospects fairly high in this draft.

Plus, this Decker kid has been a forum favorite.

So, this thing is shaping up nicely. We went D-heavy in free agency, so clearly... Josh wants to give this offense a spark it clearly needed last season.

Much happier now looking at this thing as a whole draft. These last picks are just gravy.

orinjkrush
04-23-2010, 08:05 PM
where's our ILB already?

broncosteven
04-23-2010, 08:09 PM
where's our ILB already?

We have picks in 5, 6 and 7. Hope their guy is there. Hate trotting out street scrubs to play LB.

BTW I hope this is it for WR's this year.

bloodsunday
04-23-2010, 08:10 PM
Denver KILLED IT today. Finally. If we can get some depth/youth on D tomorrow and through FA we'll be in good shape.

The more I hear people talk about Tebow the more comfortable I become with the pick. It's a gamble, but aren't they all?

theAPAOps5
04-23-2010, 08:10 PM
I wouldn't call Spencer larsen a street scrub

bloodsunday
04-23-2010, 08:11 PM
I actually liked the Thomas pick as well, I just wish they had waited to see if he was there at 24. I think he would have been.

theAPAOps5
04-23-2010, 08:12 PM
Denver KILLED IT today. Finally. If we can get some depth/youth on D tomorrow and through FA we'll be in good shape.

The more I hear people talk about Tebow the more comfortable I become with the pick. It's a gamble, but aren't they all?

You build your team in rounds 2-4 of the draft. You hope and pray with your 1st round picks.

ludo21
04-23-2010, 08:16 PM
Larsen, Haggan, and Williams are all capable at that MLB spot.

We could use another one, but we could just as easily add a TE tommorow if Pitta is still available, or go RB??

We have needs at DT as well, but so far McD has done a great job and I suspect he knows best what we need tommorow.

Rabb
04-23-2010, 08:21 PM
I couldn't have been happier today, I had a buddy constantly bitching about taking defense and I had to refrain from hitting him. Our offense needed as much of a boost, ESPECIALLY on the interior line, as our defense did and I didn't see any defensive players that I would have liked as much as I like the linemen we picked today. How exciting is it to think that our offensive line is probably set for the next 5-10 years? And getting 2 very physical receivers out of the draft is just awesome...after watching the Super Bowl 32 replay the other day I remembered how huge of a key that always was for us with #87 and #80 always holding it down in the secondary.

My God, between free agency and this draft so far...I am completely thrilled. As Kahn said, anything now is gravy. I hope they get some solid depth at this point.

So happy right now, the Walton pick made my Friday.

R8R H8R
04-23-2010, 08:22 PM
where's our ILB already?

I would like to see us offer our 5th to the raiders for Morrison. Don't know if greasy al would go for it, but worth a try.

Elway777
04-23-2010, 08:27 PM
I hate the Beadles pick because we could of traded down and got more picks. This is one of the deepest draft I every seen and we should of got more picks.

Dedhed
04-23-2010, 08:29 PM
I hate the Beadles pick because we could of traded down and got more picks. This is one of the deepest draft I every seen and we should of got more picks.
Pure uninformed speculation.

SoCalBronco
04-23-2010, 08:30 PM
Glad they addressed the interior with those two picks. Good work, FO. Not surprisingly, they seem to be better fits for the man, power, and trap stuff the staff wants to do more of.

Between those two guys and Olsen..maybe we can get some good competition going for the C and LG positions in camp.

thumpc
04-23-2010, 08:34 PM
Could Olsen or Beadles beat out Polumbus at RT? Read the book.

Drek
04-23-2010, 08:34 PM
Glad they addressed the interior with those two picks. Good work, FO. Not surprisingly, they seem to be better fits for the man, power, and trap stuff the staff wants to do more of.

Between those two guys and Olsen..maybe we can get some good competition going for the C and LG positions in camp.

I wouldn't rule out Hochstein and Dustin Fry either though. Its all about McDaniels living by the mantra of fair competition. No one has a job handed to them unless they're an all-pro level player.

On this team that means only Champ, Clady, Doom, and Dawkins have jobs all but guaranteed to them. Everyone else needs to earn a chance to start.

Drek
04-23-2010, 08:38 PM

You assume he would've still been there.

If he's the FO's top interior lineman then don't dick around when its such a big position of need.

What if they traded down and missed on him, then they missed on Walton?

What's a bigger failure, not rolling the dice to get an extra late 3rd/4th rounder and getting the guys you want or taking that risk and having it blow up in your face?

We rolled the dice with trades up and down on day one and came out big winners. No need to roll the dice again when just a solid performance would cement this in as a very good draft.

ColoradoBuff
04-23-2010, 08:39 PM
cam thomas is still sittin there......would love to trade back in the 4th to snag him.

broncosteven
04-23-2010, 08:43 PM
I wouldn't rule out Hochstein and Dustin Fry either though. Its all about McDaniels living by the mantra of fair competition. No one has a job handed to them unless they're an all-pro level player.

On this team that means only Champ, Clady, Doom, and Dawkins have jobs all but guaranteed to them. Everyone else needs to earn a chance to start.

Wasn't Champ running windsprints the 1st 2 day's of TC last year before Bowlen said something.

I am guessing everyone has to pull their weight, which I agree is refreshing. Just wish the guy laying down the law has had some experience but he is learning. It will just take some time...

extralife
04-23-2010, 08:45 PM
Outside of the Tebow fiasco, I'm liking this draft. Guys at positions we need help at. It's very obvious McD is going for guys that are big, smart, tough and versatile. Hopefully we can find someone tomorrow with a shot at helping our front seven.

Drek
04-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Wasn't Champ running windsprints the 1st 2 day's of TC last year before Bowlen said something.

I am guessing everyone has to pull their weight, which I agree is refreshing. Just wish the guy laying down the law has had some experience but he is learning. It will just take some time...

It wasn't until Bowlen said something. He showed up and didn't pass the physical conditioning test McDaniels had set forth for each position well in advance. So they made him bust ass for a few days running sprints.

Punishment for not being ready to help the team win is universal. Champ appreciated it I'm sure. He's got the same mindset as McD.

gyldenlove
04-23-2010, 08:50 PM
5 300+ guys up front, I like this. Walton will start from day 1 that seems given, Olsen and Beadles should have a heck of a fight for the position next to Clady. Right now it is not impossible that we have the best young line in football.

theAPAOps5
04-23-2010, 08:51 PM

Bowlen never said anything. I would like to see the link showing where he said that. Champ made it on the field after passing the test. I was at camp the day he passed it I believe.

TheReverend
04-23-2010, 09:32 PM

Imo, there's still about 40 quality, future starting defensive players available. I'm sure a decent chunk of those I'm dead wrong on, but probably gets balanced out on some that I think don't have a chance but will be wrong on.

Role player DL and LB time!

gtown
04-23-2010, 09:41 PM
This has made my day. A shining light of logic at Dove Valley. Loved Walton and Beadles.

BroncoInferno
04-23-2010, 09:44 PM
where's our ILB already?

Haggan. He's at least decent. We didn't need one that badly. We do need some depth though; hopefully, we take a guy tomorrow.

BroncoInferno
04-23-2010, 09:46 PM
Imo, there's still about 40 quality, future starting defensive players available. I'm sure a decent chunk of those I'm dead wrong on, but probably gets balanced out on some that I think don't have a chance but will be wrong on.

Role player DL and LB time!

Yep. I don't think Sapp from Clemson went yet. He has a lot of talent and is a good kid. He didn't get great coaching at Clemson under Bowden. Some projections had him going in the 1st. I wouldn't mind swapping next years 3rd to get him in the 4th, as I don't believe he'll be there in the 5th.

TotallyScrewed
04-23-2010, 09:59 PM
"Beadles comes from a sports-oriented extended family. His father, Brad Beadles, played baseball at Hutchinson Junior College. His stepmother, Jill, started at point guard for Concordia Lutheran, which qualified for the NAIA Final Four in 1993-94. His mother, Jamie Legerski, played basketball for Wyoming. His stepfather, Joe Legerski, is the women's basketball coach at Wyoming and a former Utah assistant."

Did they get a blood test to make sure who's married to who and who's the birth mother? It's a wolf pack...doesn't matter.

Seriously, I'm just really happy that they drafted a guard and a center. Those were two positions that they, IMHO, obviously needed help.

I love how everybody's an all-pro on paper. Let's get 'em to work and see what we got!!

Actually...now comes the hardest part of the year for me. Waiting for signings and OTA's.

manchambo
04-23-2010, 10:01 PM
So far I can't find anyone who says Beadle is any better than a 4th rd talent. Am I missing something that indicates this wasn't a serious reach?

It's not quite enough for me to say they needed OG and they picked an OG, so it must have been a great day. And incidentally, he's not actually an OG, at least not yet.

BroncoInferno
04-23-2010, 10:09 PM
So far I can't find anyone who says Beadle is any better than a 4th rd talent. Am I missing something that indicates this wasn't a serious reach?

It's not quite enough for me to say they needed OG and they picked an OG, so it must have been a great day. And incidentally, he's not actually an OG, at least not yet.

Kiper had rated as the 3rd best guard in the draft. He wouldn't have been there in the fourth with his size, production, and smarts.

outdoor_miner
04-23-2010, 10:13 PM

Mayock had him in his Top 5 interior OL (including both Center and Guard)... Gotta figure that's worth more than a 4th:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d81796801&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Paladin
04-23-2010, 11:07 PM
I actually liked the Thomas pick as well, I just wish they had waited to see if he was there at 24. I think he would have been.

And if he wasn't? (That might have been possible, I DK). But I would believe that McD got some info that someone ws looking to take Thomas. So, he traded.....

Good play......

strafen
04-23-2010, 11:10 PM
Fantastic!

Sketchy strategy yesterday. (Though I like the players.)

No flash today... all business...

ZANE BEADLES, OG

Regarded as one of the elite offensive tackles in college football, most professional talent evaluators view Beadles as the ideal guard at the next level. The four-year starter does have past experience at that position, moving from guard to tackle during his sophomore season. The consensus feels that he is the school's best offensive lineman since the Jordan Gross era (1999-2002).

Beadles has been a model of consistency since arriving on Utah's campus. A tough athlete with a high threshold for pain, he's played with injuries that would sideline most (concussion, knee sprain, leg laceration), reluctantly sitting out just one game during his career. He went on to start 50-of-51 contests for the Utes, producing 313 knockdowns/key blocks while coming up with key hits on 45 touchdown drives.

Beadles comes from a sports-oriented extended family. His father, Brad Beadles, played baseball at Hutchinson Junior College. His stepmother, Jill, started at point guard for Concordia Lutheran, which qualified for the NAIA Final Four in 1993-94. His mother, Jamie Legerski, played basketball for Wyoming. His stepfather, Joe Legerski, is the women's basketball coach at Wyoming and a former Utah assistant.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/559528?tag=DraftTrackerTableData;DraftTrackerTable 45

J.D. WALTON, C

A tenacious drive blocker who brings back memories of former Notre Dame and Kansas City Chiefs standout, Tim Grunhard, Walton should use some of his signing bonus to buy an IHOP, as he has truly mastered the art of serving up the "pancake" block while at Baylor. With 194 knockdowns to his credit during his last two seasons, what makes those numbers even more impressive is that he delivered 26 touchdown-resulting blocks for a running attack that scored 45 times on the ground in the Bears' last 24 contests.

The unquestioned leader of Baylor's offensive line, and a captain of an offense that returned nine starters in 2009, he has been a mainstay in the middle of the field. He started his final 36 contests in the pivot since transferring to Baylor after beginning his collegiate career at Arizona State.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/drafttracker/2010/team/DEN?tag=DraftTrackerTableData;DraftTrackerTable80h ttp://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/drafttracker/2010/team/DEN?tag=DraftTrackerTableData;DraftTrackerTable80

Trenches, baby!death knell!

atomicbloke
04-24-2010, 12:10 AM
what happened to our 4th rounder? Didnt we have 2 of them yesterday?

Shoemaker
04-24-2010, 12:15 AM
what happened to our 4th rounder? Didnt we have 2 of them yesterday?

We had one 4th rounder going into the draft.

We got San Francisco's 4th round pick when they swapped first rounders with us to move up to 11, so yes, we then had two 4th rounders.

We traded one of them (the pick from the Niners) to New England to move up from the 24th pick to the 22nd pick and draft Thomas.

We then traded our original first round pick to Baltimore as part of the package to move up to the 25th pick and draft Tebow.

Originally, reports said that Baltimore gave us their 4th round pick in return, but that was erroneous, as they traded that pick to pick up Anquan Boldin (at least, I think so).

sgbfan
04-24-2010, 12:20 AM
Larsen, Haggan, and Williams are all capable at that MLB spot.

We could use another one, but we could just as easily add a TE tommorow if Pitta is still available, or go RB??

We have needs at DT as well, but so far McD has done a great job and I suspect he knows best what we need tommorow.

Easily the steal of day 3 for whoever gets him tomorrow.

baja
04-24-2010, 12:23 AM
We had one 4th rounder going into the draft.

We got San Francisco's 4th round pick when they swapped first rounders with us to move up to 11, so yes, we then had two 4th rounders.

We traded one of them (the pick from the Niners) to New England to move up from the 24th pick to the 22nd pick and draft Thomas.

We then traded our original first round pick to Baltimore as part of the package to move up to the 25th pick and draft Tebow.

Originally, reports said that Baltimore gave us their 4th round pick in return, but that was erroneous, as they traded that pick to pick up Anquan Boldin (at least, I think so).

So we did end up giving a 2, 3, 4 with no 4 back for Tebow. Expensive in this draft but I believe it will seem dirt cheap some day soon.

cutthemdown
04-24-2010, 12:34 AM
I've never seen a player generate as much furor as Tebow. I guess him being sort of over the top religious just rubs people the wrong way. Normally you would think he's phoney, sort of comes off that way, but I have a feeling its not the case. It's just he's a lot different then probably anyone else I know. So that probably is why it seems so over the top to me.

Still waching tape on him like I have been one thing stirkes me. He's a powerful guy and I don't think arm strength a concern. He seems to have zip on the ball and lead his wr, but sometimes his passes remind me of jeff garcia. Sort of like wow how did that wobbly duck get there.

Running with the football he has a real sense of when holes will open up, good timing, really good runner. I'd say that's his best way to contribute this yr. Maybe a redzone package with him at QB.

I don't think he would have lasted until our 2nd round pick but you never know. Personally I would have taken my chances, but mcdaniels obviously wanted the kid from the get go. Can't blame him for making it happen, but now he has to show us something.

I'm looking for Broncos to start showing some sort of identity this yr. Thats what I am most interested. Seems like they are drafting team first type guys so in the end we could have an unselfish team. Wether they win anything well who knows.

Still it sucks losing a 4th round gem to like Marshal.

Los Broncos
04-24-2010, 12:41 AM
Good picks, happy to see the o-line addressed.

Mr.Meanie
04-24-2010, 01:21 AM
This is honestly my favorite draft in years. This is going to pay some immediate dividends, but this team in 2-3 years is going to be insane.

Bronco Yoda
04-24-2010, 01:22 AM
I got my O-line picks. me happy :)