PDA

View Full Version : So which QB gets cut?

gyldenlove
04-23-2010, 09:07 AM
We have 4, which is definitely 1 more than you would like to carry on your depth chart unless your last name begins with G and rhymes with Ooden.

Orton is the presumed starter so it seems fair to assume that he will be the number 1 guy.

Tebow is a 1st round pick and will obviously not be cut.

That leaves Quinn and Brandstater and the question of wether we waste a 2009 6th round or a 2011 6th round pick.

Unless of course one of them suffer an "injury" at some point and spends the year on IR which allows the team to keep Orton for a year and then decide next year to extend him or not.

go_broncos
I think Orton will be traded today

Rabb
none, someone will get traded though and it won't be Quinn

Dagmar
04-23-2010, 09:11 AM
I could honestly see Orton being traded to a Buffalo for example.

strafen
What does this mean for Orton?
Really, Orton should be the one out of here
We traded for Quinn. Unless Brandstater showed he's not QB material for the NFL, I'd have to say Orton.

TonyR
Is Brandstater practice squad eligible? If not you have to wonder if Orton's Broncos career is on life support unless they dump Brandstater.

Drek
Brandstater is released and stashed on the practice squad.

Ray Finkle
I think you keep all 4. Tebow is the 4th QB, third TE, or second FB. That way he can play during gameday in some packages. If you find value in both him and Brandstater, you ship Brandy for a pick.

bowtown
04-23-2010, 09:12 AM
Is Brandstater eligible for the practice squad?

Dedhed
04-23-2010, 09:12 AM
I think Orton will be traded today

That thought has crossed my mind as well. The question then becomes do you take a pick for Orton and go into a full rebuilding mode, or do you hang onto Orton and hope for a decent season with what is now clearly a lame duck QB?

montrose
04-23-2010, 09:13 AM
I think we keep all of them into camp and try to deal Brandstater or Quinn to a team that has a QB injury/issue.

Is Brandstater eligible for the practice squad?

He is but I don't think he'd last too long in a QB-starved league before another team would put in a claim for him.

Rabb
04-23-2010, 09:14 AM
That thought has crossed my mind as well. The question then becomes do you take a pick for Orton and go into a full rebuilding mode, or do you hang onto Orton and hope for a decent season with what is now clearly a lame duck QB?

I was wondering about this also, Orton for picks today

And honestly, if last year someone said we could choose between Orton, Quinn and Tebow to learn our system from scratch and start...would Orton have been #1?

ColoradoDarin
04-23-2010, 09:15 AM
Behold the brilliance of 2 days ago (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2815193&postcount=6)

Orton would stay, I bet we would trade Brandstater to NE for a 5th round pick in 2011.

Our depth chart is probably - Orton, Quinn, Tebow.

OrangenBlueOhio
04-23-2010, 09:16 AM
none, someone will get traded though and it won't be Quinn

This is what I'm thinkin. Either orton or Brandstater get traded. I vote orton.

As for the Tebow pick, I hope Mcd is able to work his magic. He basically just signed himself up for at least two more years here at Denver with the pick. You know Bowlen will give him time to "mold" Mr. Tebow.

I guess Tim won't have to worry about changing his color scheme.

Drek
04-23-2010, 09:17 AM
Is Brandstater practice squad eligible? If not you have to wonder if Orton's Broncos career is on life support unless they dump Brandstater.

Never made the active roster last year, so yes.

Rabb
04-23-2010, 09:18 AM
I think we keep all of them into camp and try to deal Brandstater or Quinn to a team that has a QB injury/issue.

He is but I don't think he'd last too long in a QB-starved league before another team would put in a claim for him.

I now feel Orton is the odd man out unfortunately, and that sucks because I like the guy.

I just think Orton was the "BQBA" of the Cutler deal last year versus who McD actually wanted. He wanted Quinn and has him now. He clearly wanted Tebow and has him now.

It's either Tommy B or Orton out, that's my guess and Orton is the most trade-able

OrangenBlueOhio
04-23-2010, 09:18 AM
I was wondering about this also, Orton for picks today

And honestly, if last year someone said we could choose between Orton, Quinn and Tebow to learn our system from scratch and start...would Orton have been #1?

This.

zdoor
04-23-2010, 09:23 AM
I think if we get a taker, one is traded today. Probably Orton...

BroncoInferno
04-23-2010, 09:25 AM
Here's a question: what if, after working with McD, Quinn becomes a quality QB? Then what do you do with Tebow?

go_broncos
04-23-2010, 09:27 AM
Here's a question: what if, after working with McD, Quinn becomes a quality QB? Then what do you do with Tebow?

I will be happy if Mcd develops Quinn.
People will forget about Tebow pick.
Tebow will come and play in goal line situations.

montrose
04-23-2010, 09:29 AM

Can't have enough good QBs. Simms was so awful last year, I wish my team could have 5 good QBs on the roster. McD said last night it's the most important position on the team, why not have your best players there?

thumpc
04-23-2010, 09:30 AM
What is Orton's value? If we can get a 2nd for him I might just freak out!

Rabb
04-23-2010, 09:32 AM
What is Orton's value? If we can get a 2nd for him I might just freak out!

I don't see how it could be bad value, he did well last year and has been a team guy all the way through it all.

There has to be a team out there that is interested, depends on Claussen and McCoy though.

UberBroncoMan
04-23-2010, 09:34 AM
I don't think Orton gets traded. He's in year 2 and we need to win now. Quinn seems like a possible trade to Buffalo. He's a mobile young QB kind of like Tebow.

Rohirrim
04-23-2010, 09:34 AM
Given what I've seen out of McDaniels so far, I think he's going to jump in with both feet. He'll trade Orton today and make a splash in the second round and go with Tebow right out of the gate with Quinn and Stater as backups. Josh doesn't know the meaning of the word "fear."

thumpc
04-23-2010, 09:36 AM
Orton is good for some wins until his annual high ankle sprain. Its a tough call.

Dagmar
04-23-2010, 09:37 AM
I don't think Orton gets traded. He's in year 2 and we need to win now. Quinn seems like a possible trade to Buffalo. He's a mobile young QB kind of like Tebow.

We would get nothing for Quinn. We gave up barely anything for him.

BroncoInferno
04-23-2010, 09:40 AM
Orton is good for some wins until his annual high ankle sprain. Its a tough call.

You are right about that high ankle sprain. He was having a very good season with Chicago in 2008, then sprained his ankle and was mediocre after that. Same thing last season.

thumpc
04-23-2010, 09:41 AM
I'd like to see all four in camp. Nobody will want to leave the film room until TT does. Brandy will go in the pit with Quinn, to the death...

Dedhed
04-23-2010, 09:41 AM
We would get nothing for Quinn. We gave up barely anything for him.

Agreed.

If you can get a 2nd today for Orton it would be a coup.

thumpc
04-23-2010, 09:44 AM
You are right about that high ankle sprain. He was having a very good season with Chicago in 2008, then sprained his ankle and was mediocre after that. Same thing last season.
For what you could get trading him, and his low salary, might as well keep him. Our win loss column could get ugly early without him.

thumpc
04-23-2010, 09:47 AM
Agreed.

If you can get a 2nd today for Orton it would be a coup.
Exactly, its ****in Orton! What was I thinking? Brandy's got it under control while Tebow gets up to speed.

lostknight
04-23-2010, 09:48 AM
Rational Being does not trade Kyle Orton. Rational Being tries to sign Brandstater to the practice squad.

Josh McDaniels is not Rational Being.

crowebomber
04-23-2010, 09:49 AM
No way you get a 2nd for Orton. If you can, then pull that trigger, but I'm thinking you cut Brandstater and let Quinn and Orton battle through camp and preseason. If Quinn looks really good then you look to move Orton before the start of the season. If Quinn sucks, you just cut him because we didn't give up much. Tebow gets preseason time and some wildcat action during the year while he holds a clipboard and learns the system.

kamakazi_kal
04-23-2010, 09:51 AM
If we trade Orton I may jump on the McD bandwagon ...... Orton sucks.

bowtown
04-23-2010, 09:59 AM
Sorry folks, there is no way we are trading Orton tonight. If we trade anyone it with be Brandy, and I don't think he has much value. I think we will go to camp with 4 QBs and Brandstater will be in the first wave of cuts.

thumpc
04-23-2010, 10:06 AM
Orton, Quinn, Brandstater and Tebow all compete at punt team gunner to see who stays.

gyldenlove
04-23-2010, 10:15 AM
Orton would probably fetch the obligatory 5th round pick that every other player seems to be worth.

Cito Pelon
04-23-2010, 10:26 AM
Given what I've seen out of McDaniels so far, I think he's going to jump in with both feet. He'll trade Orton today and make a splash in the second round and go with Tebow right out of the gate with Quinn and Stater as backups. Josh doesn't know the meaning of the word "fear."

In that case he'll move up to draft Claussen the Great.

go_broncos
04-23-2010, 10:29 AM
I think Mcd believes in Quinn.He wanted Quinn last year also.
He will trade Orton for few picks.Brandstater will be in Practice squad.

bloodsunday
04-23-2010, 10:31 AM
It would have to be Orton, right? Only from that stand point no one else has any trade value. It doesn't seem Orton has a future here since we acquired two guys as his successor and we didn't give him a contract when we had the power to get one helluva discount (since we had bargaining power with the RFA tag).

It seems odd that we'd give up Orton with no clear starter for next year, but if we don't get rid of him then we are going to camp with 4. Then maybe someone loses a QB in pre-season or something and we can move a guy for a late round pick.

boppool
04-23-2010, 10:41 AM
I want us to trade Orton while he has some value.
But McD won't. He needs a proven starter to get through this year to at least improve from 8-8.

long beach bronco
04-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Buffalo really wanted Tebow, it would be funny if Denver traded Tebow to the Bills and a pick for CJ Spiller. That would be really funny.

outdoor_miner
04-23-2010, 11:25 AM
I can't imagine them trading Orton. I think Brandstater is the odd man out... Likely put on the PS. Depth chart goes Orton, Quinn, Tebow, with Quinn and Tebow battling for QBOTF. I'm actually kinda excited about the future of the QB position.

broncosteven
04-23-2010, 11:28 AM
Behold the brilliance of 2 days ago (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2815193&postcount=6)

Our depth chart is probably - Orton, Quinn, Tebow.

Some one needs to merge my thread.

RonDaChamp24
04-23-2010, 11:29 AM
Brandstater will be moved to the practice squad. Orton will be our QB this year, and Tim will be our QB next year.

long beach bronco
04-23-2010, 11:30 AM
What Orton doesn't have, the other QB's do: Mobility. Orton standing there like a statue killed many drives last season.

Tombstone RJ
04-23-2010, 11:36 AM
Orton, Quinn, Brandstater and Tebow all compete at punt team gunner to see who stays.

LOL

I haven't heard that term since HS!

Broncos4tw
04-23-2010, 11:46 AM
As much as I can't stand Orton playing for us, there is no way he'll be traded today.

broncosteven
04-23-2010, 11:58 AM
What Orton doesn't have, the other QB's do: Mobility. Orton standing there like a statue killed many drives last season.

I agree, plus they still need to work out a deal for him and would he want to stick around a place where the HC admitted he wants to spend a lot of time with his #1 QB and thought he could do that with TT?

Kick Orton to the curb and hope a mix of Quinn and TT work out early.

Hanging on to Orton must be like being married having a chick on the side you want to marry but can't get a divorce just yet. Mad Men syndrome.

broncocalijohn
04-23-2010, 12:14 PM
I will be royally pissed if we dump Orton. Does Josh have enough faith in Quinn or Tebow to start game one? I sure dont. All the Orton haters probably would not dig this move.

thumpc
04-23-2010, 12:31 PM
Its Orton's thing to compete with 1st round qbs from Florida. He'll barely notice he's there, at camp, running around with his muscles and his ankles.

bowtown
04-23-2010, 12:31 PM
I will be royally pissed if we dump Orton. Does Josh have enough faith in Quinn or Tebow to start game one? I sure dont. All the Orton haters probably would not dig this move.

And it's the exact reason that Orton is not going anywhere this season. Orton is no world beater and is certainly not the QBOTF, but for now, he's the only one here who knows and can run McDaniels system inside and out. He will be our starter on opening day... will he be our stater by the end of the season, I don't know, but we sure as hell aren't trading him tonight.

What is going to be really fun around here is all the Orton haters who start screaming for Tebow the first time Orton gets sacked or throws an errant ball. You think dragster whined about McDaniels not using Hillis? Just wait until McDaniels is not using Tebow this year. For all the talk of how Tebow will need to be coached up to be effective, few around here will actually give him or McDaniels the patience needed to do it.

Dagmar
04-23-2010, 12:32 PM
I think the Orton thing is Orangemane speculation. Nothing more.

Aftermath
04-23-2010, 12:48 PM
i would rather have a rookie qb start then have to watch puke orton again this season

MaloCS
04-23-2010, 12:52 PM
Despite the official word out of Dove Valley the Broncos ARE rebuilding! Since this is the case the only thing that will help speed the process up is promoting Tebow to second string quarterback with the intention to start him the last quarter of the 2010 season. The kid needs to take his lumps now instead of later.

If this is the case then I would say Quinn has to be the odd man out. Since Orton already has a year under his belt he is the best choice to start on opening day and then makes a quality backup when Tebow starts in November, 2010. As far as next year (2011) is concerned I think it will be Tebow (#1) and Brandstater (#2) with Orton being traded.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Quinn is dealt for extra picks in today's draft.

bowtown
04-23-2010, 12:53 PM
I also wouldn't be surprised if Quinn is dealt for extra picks in today's draft.

I would be fall-out-of-my-chair shocked.

MaloCS
04-23-2010, 12:54 PM
i would rather have a rookie qb start then have to watch puke orton again this season

I agree. Even though Tebow is a work in progress he WILL be more entertaining to watch then Orton was last year. 2009 was the first time I ever fell asleep watching a Broncos game.

bowtown
04-23-2010, 12:56 PM
And it's already begun.

Dagmar
04-23-2010, 12:58 PM
I would be fall-out-of-my-chair shocked.

We got him for nothing, I doubt it'd be worth it.

This is all speculation, I doubt we trade anyone today.

bowtown
04-23-2010, 01:00 PM
Well in that case, I bet we could trade Tebow to Buffalo for next year's first and maybe a 4th this year. ;)

~Crash~
08-25-2010, 07:55 PM
bump

HAT
08-25-2010, 08:05 PM
bump

Wow....So much fail in one thread.

Dagmar
08-25-2010, 08:05 PM
bump

Why? Really?

broncosteven
08-25-2010, 08:08 PM
Wow....So much fail in one thread.

There are some good takes here. BCJ hit the nail on the head.

~Crash~
08-25-2010, 08:10 PM
Why? Really?

fun ...lol there is good stuff here ..:curtsey:

~Crash~
08-25-2010, 08:12 PM
For the record I see most talking up Orton so I would not take the talk of trading him to far . I just wanted people to lighten the **** up to be honest .

HAT
08-25-2010, 08:13 PM

Agreed. I didn't mean to imply 100% fail at all. Just a lot. ;D

Dagmar
08-25-2010, 08:22 PM
fun ...lol there is good stuff here ..:curtsey:

I skimmed a lot. :egbgb:

Steve Sewell
08-25-2010, 08:25 PM
Rational Being does not trade Kyle Orton. Rational Being tries to sign Brandstater to the practice squad.

Josh McDaniels is not Rational Being.

Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious!

Rock Chalk
08-25-2010, 08:36 PM

I read one intelligent post in this thread prior to the bump. BCJs. Everyone else is completely ****ing retarded.

Trade the ONLY QB that knows the system and had a year to develop chemistry with the players that remain from last year? Brilliant....bunch of ****ing douche nozzles.

Tombstone RJ
08-25-2010, 09:31 PM
I read one intelligent post in this thread prior to the bump. BCJs. Everyone else is completely ****ing retarded.

Trade the ONLY QB that knows the system and had a year to develop chemistry with the players that remain from last year? Brilliant....bunch of ****ing douche nozzles.

I resemble that remark...

broncocalijohn
08-25-2010, 11:31 PM
YEAH!! Thanks for the bump and making me look so good. Actually, surprised I was one of the few. Hysteria at the Mane....2010.1 version.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
08-26-2010, 12:31 AM
What does this mean for Orton?
Really, Orton should be the one out of here
We traded for Quinn. Unless Brandstater showed he's not QB material for the NFL, I'd have to say Orton.

Christ, you are a ****ing retard. Holy ****. You make Mock seem lucid.

Good lord. ROFL!

Thanks for the laugh. LOL

supermanhr9
08-26-2010, 07:47 AM
hahahahaha,,, ahh the memories

55CrushEm
08-26-2010, 08:44 AM

:rofl:

bowtown
08-26-2010, 09:10 AM
I'd like my pat on the back as well please.

broncosteven
08-26-2010, 11:54 AM

Your wrong

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2818315&postcount=44

The 1st page is full of fail though but if one reads through the entire thread there are some people that got it right and some like me who said they would need to sign Orton to a longer deal for Orton to want to stick around - which actually happened.

Rep to Outdoor miner!