PDA

View Full Version : Draft Day One Approval Rating

Taco John
04-23-2010, 12:14 AM
Vote

strafen
04-23-2010, 12:18 AM
I'll give it a 4 pending the outcome of the rest of the draft

The thing we need to understand is this...
WR and QB were positions of need.
If you're mad we didn't draft Pouncey, Morgan or Iupati, so am I.
But who do you blame?
McDaniels of course. WR and QB were not positions of need before he came to Denver to be the head coach, but guess what? they're now.
So, we needed to address those positions.
Two good picks. Contrary to what the rest of the world think, Tebow is franchise QB material. I'm extremely happy we've got him.
To win in this league, you've got to have a marquee QB, and Tebow is IT...

Rohirrim
04-23-2010, 12:21 AM
I still feel as though I'm wandering through an "X Files" episode. Unable to quantify it yet.

Doggcow
04-23-2010, 12:23 AM
Btw, we couldn't have drafted Pouncey or Iupati, they both got taken off the board.

We would have had to throw some picks to move up and get those guys.

I think, as far as wheeling and dealing, we did a damn fine job.

I am a Tebow fan, and I also really liked Thomas, so I'm fine with that.

I also believe the Broncos Organization is better at diagnosing players than we are, and we picked Thomas for a reason.

DBroncos4life
04-23-2010, 12:25 AM
We got a Wr that can't run routes and a QB that can't throw. Tebow saved this draft/

FireFly
04-23-2010, 12:30 AM
it really comes down to what happens tomorrow.

I loved the wheelin and dealin but how are we better off than when shanny was here essentially we replaced a QB WR combo with a QB WR combo.

If he made either Orton or Quinn his franchise QB and solidified the team else where I'd probably be happier atm.

But some good picks in rds 2 & 3 and we'll be looking good again.

strafen
04-23-2010, 12:31 AM
Btw, we couldn't have drafted Pouncey or Iupati, they both got taken off the board.

We would have had to throw some picks to move up and get those guys.

I think, as far as wheeling and dealing, we did a damn fine job.

I am a Tebow fan, and I also really liked Thomas, so I'm fine with that.

I also believe the Broncos Organization is better at diagnosing players than we are, and we picked Thomas for a reason.Yes we could've.
They were there at 11th had we stayed put...

Popps
04-23-2010, 12:35 AM
I still feel as though I'm wandering through an "X Files" episode. Unable to quantify it yet.

This.

broncolife
04-23-2010, 12:36 AM
-Ill give it a 3. I just believe none of the picks make our team better than last year, actually I still think we are worse on the O side.
-I liked the trade downs
-Hated the first trade up.
-Undecided on the 2nd trade up.If we gave up our 4th and did not swap it then I lean more to disliking it.
-I am not a fan of drafting wrs and cbs in the first round.
-Like the Tebow pick, was just hoping we could get him a little later but I guess a couple teams were looking at him.

DBroncos4life
04-23-2010, 12:38 AM
Steve Young got a kick out of it. :giggle:

Doggcow
04-23-2010, 12:39 AM
Yes we could've.
They were there at 11th had we stayed put...

I was under the impression that every single person wanted us to trade back. You were not on that boat, or is this 20/20 hindsight?

Williams
Like the maneuvering, love the trades down, like the Thomas pick, love the Tebow pick. Could have been better (was hoping for Pouncey or Iupati @ 24... if still available) but I'm still in the 5 camp. Outstanding day one.

ZONA
We got a Wr that can't run routes and a QB that can't throw. Tebow saved this draft/

Don't be such a dbag. He wasn't asked to run alot of "routes" on the so called route tree, for the offense that he played in. I'm sure he will be able to run routes just fine. So I understand your concern that he didn't run them and wasn't asked to run many of them in college but not asking him to run many and not being able to are two very different things.

The Tbow thing vexed me. I loved how we moved down to acquire all those extra picks but then we gave up 3 of them to move back up to get Tbow. Who knows if this was a good move or not, only time will tell. I obviously don't think he's ready to start at QB for this team but I can tell you that our "Wildhorses" package will have a lot more extra umph to it. I can see Tbow contributing in that package right away, and it being taken to a new level. Now teams have to honor the pass out of that package also and can't stack the run.

This thread is a bit of an odd one since you can't really rate your draft for a few years but it's fun to see what fans think. If we can still land some quality linemen in the later rounds, it should be fine.

BMarsh615
Would have liked to address the interior OL, but am overall pretty happy with Thomas and Tebow. I am starting to get worried about the OL though.

ZONA
04-23-2010, 12:43 AM
Would have like to address the interior OL, but am overall pretty happy with Thomas and Tebow. I am starting to get worried about the OL though.

I'm not. There are a ton of solid line guys to be had. And a few of the late 1st round picks there were some lagit concerns on, to be take that high. I guess Iupati is a holding machine is what alot of the anylists thought.

I still like the idea of drafting Ciron Black out of LSU in the 3rd. He played tackle but projects to the NFL as one bad ass guard. And the versatility he has is that if Harris goes down again, he can move to right tackle no problems.

Williams
04-23-2010, 12:45 AM
Would have like to address the interior OL, but am overall pretty happy with Thomas and Tebow. I am starting to get worried about the OL though.

Jerry or Ducasse @ 45 and Walton or Tennant in the 3rd and we're golden.

strafen
04-23-2010, 12:45 AM
I was under the impression that every single person wanted us to trade back. You were not on that boat, or is this 20/20 hindsight?No it isn't.
I wasn't expecting us to trade back at all.
In fact, had not the Raiders nabbed Mcclain, we would've stayed put at 11th and grab him.
Once the Raiders pooped the party, the Broncos felt they could do some wheeling and dealing. That's what dictated trading back, and was perhaps a part of a contigency plan...
"Wanting us to trade back" got nothing to do with reality or in any way imply that that's what the Broncos would do, so...

Taco John
04-23-2010, 12:48 AM
I hate to be pessimistic, but I was expecting to get some serious help out of this draft on both sides of our lines. I expected an interior lineman, and a defender. I am completely jealous of San Francisco's draft, though I'd rather have Dan Williams than Anthony Davis. To come out of day one with a WR and a QB - I just have a hard time taking Josh seriously at this point. We've done nothing to improve our team. We've made a lateral move at best so far - not to mention we've further polarized the fanbase. It makes a difference on Sundays having fans that believe in what you are doing.

I'm hoping for a better day two that will take the edge off this. I hate to be negative, but I can only be honest. This is how I feel about our first day.

strafen
04-23-2010, 12:58 AM
I hate to be pessimistic, but I was expecting to get some serious help out of this draft on both sides of our lines. I expected an interior lineman, and a defender. I am completely jealous of San Francisco's draft, though I'd rather have Dan Williams than Anthony Davis. To come out of day one with a WR and a QB - I just have a hard time taking Josh seriously at this point. We've done nothing to improve our team. We've made a lateral move at best so far - not to mention we've further polarized the fanbase. It makes a difference on Sundays having fans that believe in what you are doing.

I'm hoping for a better day two that will take the edge off this. I hate to be negative, but I can only be honest. This is how I feel about our first day.It is like robbing Paul to pay Pete...
We needed a bona-fide QB and an impact WR, but we also needed a center, LB, OL, and LB's
We have a short-term answer to our defense via the aging FA's we signed, and that's where I would have to agree with you. We needed to draft defense and fortify our OL.
The problem is, there's only one chance to get a good center tomorrow. We must get one of the remaining top-3 centers in the draft; JD Walton, Matt Tennant or Olsen from ND.
After that, there's perhaps a good DE and/or a LB we could draft of immediate impact potential if we draft wisely, otherwise, it's a crapshoot once we get out of the 3rd round...

Broncojef
04-23-2010, 01:04 AM

I'm hoping for a better day two that will take the edge off this. I hate to be negative, but I can only be honest. This is how I feel about our first day.

You are not alone TJ...we were going so good and had draft by the tail.

ton80
04-23-2010, 01:10 AM
Very cagey draft by McDaniels.

We picked up a 4th to move back two spots and gave up a 4th to move up two spots. Thats a wash.

We accumulate two thirds. We give up a 3rd and a 4th. Edge to Broncos.

We trade the 11th pick and a 2nd rounder two 1st rounders in the 20's. Surely the Broncos organization believes that they replaced their #1 receiver and franchise QB. Huge edge for Broncos. (We'll find out though)

If this plan works out, this draft will go down as one for the ages.

strafen
04-23-2010, 01:12 AM
You are not alone TJ...we were going so good and had draft by the tail.

And we did last year. In fact, had not us given our 14th pick for this year to Seattle for Alphonso Smith, we would've been in great shape to build a solid foundation for the future.

Doggcow
04-23-2010, 01:34 AM

I fully expect everyone to be back on board when Tebow succeeds.

Blueflame
04-23-2010, 01:39 AM
I fully expect everyone to be back on board when Tebow succeeds.

With Tebow projected to be ready to start at Qb in 3-4 years, then I guess everyone can be expected to be back "on board" circa 2013...

My bad... that's IF he "succeeds"......

azbroncfan
04-23-2010, 02:34 AM
I am so tired of having the OL and DL's passed on for project players.

Popps
04-23-2010, 02:40 AM

I still think we can get OL value in the middle rounds.

DL? Not so sure.

elsid13
04-23-2010, 02:40 AM
I like the trading down. Liked the Thomas pick, who is a lot better then folk realize. Hated the move up for Tebow. Those picks used in the Tebow trade could remade the offense.

robbieopperude
04-23-2010, 03:23 AM
The O.Mane is notorious for over valuing draft picks. The roster does have a limited amount of spaces available for rookies. We can't just draft 10 guys every year. I prefer the trade up and get the two or three you guys you want early and then sign free agents to fill your needs as you go. People want to always build through the draft but the draft is such a huge crapshoot. Tebow may bust at 25 but so might Bradford at 1. The cost will be substantially less for us. Speaking of the Rams they have been building through the draft for years with high picks that have gotten them no where. Just Sayin.

DivineLegion
04-23-2010, 03:26 AM
No we need O-line and a middle linebacker. Unless DJs going solo this season I'm not sure that Spencer Larson is really the awnser.

Could this be....

THE GATOR DRAFT?

Up next Brandon Spikes MLB Florida.

Elway777
04-23-2010, 03:29 AM
The Broncos got 2 player with alot of upside at low contracts. Both players need at least a year to develope . Tebow is ideal QB for McDANIELS offensive system . Thomas need to learn how to run routes in spread offence but has great hands and a huge upside plus a great blocker.

The Joker
04-23-2010, 03:36 AM
I'm in the middle at this point, we need to get some help for the lines on Day 2. If we do that, I'll be thrilled.

The trade back up for Thomas annoyed me, I don't think the Packers or Pats were going to take him so it just seems a wasted 4th rounder.

I think he is just the kind of WR we need though, legit deep threat and someone who can make plays on the bubble screens too.

Really excited about the Tebow pick, no qualms at all. When you have a chance to draft a QB that you think can be special, you do it.

So yeah, I like the two players we picked but I do worry that we've not addressed the lines at all.

Would love Terrence Cody in round two followed by Spikes and one of the centers in the third, I'll feel a lot more comfortable if we can do something along those lines.

Doggcow
04-23-2010, 03:39 AM
I'm in the middle at this point, we need to get some help for the lines on Day 2. If we do that, I'll be thrilled.

The trade back up for Thomas annoyed me, I don't think the Packers or Pats were going to take him so it just seems a wasted 4th rounder.

I think he is just the kind of WR we need though, legit deep threat and someone who can make plays on the bubble screens too.

Really excited about the Tebow pick, no qualms at all. When you have a chance to draft a QB that you think can be special, you do it.

So yeah, I like the two players we picked but I do worry that we've not addressed the lines at all.

Would love Terrence Cody in round two followed by Spikes and one of the centers in the third, I'll feel a lot more comfortable if we can do something along those lines.

The reason you trade back up is not to avoid the packers or pats picking him, but to get him before the packers or pats trade the pick to someone who wants him. Which was the problem, Baltimore was apparently very interested in Thomas.

The Joker
04-23-2010, 03:43 AM
The reason you trade back up is not to avoid the packers or pats picking him, but to get him before the packers or pats trade the pick to someone who wants him. Which was the problem, Baltimore was apparently very interested in Thomas.

Oh right, hadn't heard that.

Thanks.

Can't imagine the Packers would have been the ones trading back, they were staying put and getting Bulaga all the way IMO.

Maybe Bill B knew that we wanted Thomas and gave Josh a call when the Ravens contacted him about moving up, giving us the option to make the move instead.

chickennob2
04-23-2010, 03:43 AM
No we need O-line and a middle linebacker. Unless DJs going solo this season I'm not sure that Spencer Larson is really the awnser.

Could this be....

THE GATOR DRAFT?

Up next Brandon Spikes MLB Florida.

Lots of people keep saying this. I believe that they fully expect Ayers to be a player at OLB, and that they project Mario Haggan moving inside to the SILB spot.

Dukes
04-23-2010, 05:37 AM
My initial reaction to Tebow signing was "OMG the Mane is going down" and didn't really want Tebow. But after sleeping and thinking about it I'm happy with our first round. Give it a 4.

bowtown
04-23-2010, 05:42 AM
I woke up this morning and felt even ****tier than I did before I went to bed when I realized it wasn't all just a bad dream.

I really, really, hope I'm wrong about this kid. He's going to be easy to root for, I;m just terrified that he's not going to be able to give me anything to root about.

TheReverend
04-23-2010, 06:04 AM
I woke up this morning and felt even ****tier than I did before I went to bed when I realized it wasn't all just a bad dream.

I really, really, hope I'm wrong about this kid. He's going to be easy to root for, I;m just terrified that he's not going to be able to give me anything to root about.

Yet this didn't scare you?

http://www.tremendousupsidepotential.com/orton.jpg

Dukes
04-23-2010, 06:05 AM

Hilarious! :thumbs:

peacepipe
04-23-2010, 06:12 AM

But who do you blame?
McDaniels of course. WR and QB were not positions of need before he came to Denver to be the head coach, but guess what? they're now.
Two good picks. Contrary to what the rest of the world think, Tebow is franchise QB material. I'm extremely happy we've got him.
and still is a need. Tebow is going to turn out to be a bust. IMO.

go_broncos
04-23-2010, 06:14 AM
I thought last year draft was horrible..Of all the QB's why do you want to draft Tebow?
If you really need to draft a QB, wait till next year as the draft class is loaded with QB's.
Mcd is arrogant and he thinks that he can mold any QB.
I though shanny's picks are horrible. Mcd is worse than shanny.
This is becoming a joke and i hope Mcd gets fired after this season.

go_broncos
04-23-2010, 06:16 AM
I also don't know why we traded for Quinn..Mcd doesn't know what he is doing.
He is similar to Eric Mangini..Horrible Horrible choice by Bowlen.

uplink
04-23-2010, 06:20 AM
Seems to me it takes 3 years for a college DL player to become good enough to play well in the NFL unless he is a top 10 draft pick. Also seems you can get OL players who can start in a year or so, besides the elite LT, later in the mid rounds of the draft . So the Tebow gamble is not too bad since it has a chance to turn out big. Thomas and Tebow can learn the mechanics of their positions over time so the picks seem good to me.

bowtown
04-23-2010, 06:23 AM

That's pretty scary, but even scarrier is the thought that I'm going to continue to be looking at him as my starting QB, even after using a 1st round draft pick on one.

bpc
04-23-2010, 06:24 AM

But who do you blame?

Fits my feelings to a *T*.

TonyR
04-23-2010, 06:32 AM
I hate to be pessimistic...

Unfortunately this is where I'm at right now. Stunned more than anything. WR and QB were not the directions I was hoping we'd go but agree with some comments above that they were "needs". But I really wonder whether we got the best available even then, particularly if Dez Bryant is a success in Dallas. Hopefully today we'll land some O-line and D front 7 prospects that cheer me up.

I hope they know what they're doing but today I'm starting to wonder whether or not they do.

TheReverend
04-23-2010, 06:33 AM
That's pretty scary, but even scarrier is the thought that I'm going to continue to be looking at him as my starting QB, even after using a 1st round draft pick on one.

No worries. He's gone in 2011.

bpc
04-23-2010, 06:36 AM
I just think it's funny that I'm actually supporting this draft and McD vs. most. Unusual bed-mates! ha ha.

Dragster said it best, I would have loved to go in many different directions other than WR/QB but over the past year of McD reign, those were made holes on our roster, along with a few other spots and eventually all positions will have to be filled.

My feeling is that QB is the most important position on the field. Does that mean Tebow is going to be a great player for? Absolutely not but he has an interesting skillset and like most, i've learned not to underestimate him.

I approve of what McDaniels has done this offseason at the QB position. He's stocked it full of talent (I still like Jay Cutler better, as an NFL QB) with the potential to give us somebody who can produce consistently on the field.

We have another 2nd rounder and two third rounders. Let's hope we can keep building up something here.

IF people are going to support McDaniels (I still think he's a jackass with a few good intentions), better have some faith that he can take a guy like Tebow, and do what most say he can't... just like with Matt Cassell. Personally, it's a win/win situation for me. I like Tebow, would love to see him succeed and that in turn will help Denver win on the field. If not, McDaniels has stepped out on a limb with this move and his career in Denver will be tied to it, so if it fails, he'll likely be out of a job here.

Drek
04-23-2010, 06:37 AM
I gave it a 4.

We basically traded #11 and #43 for #22 and #25. I'll take that deal.

We then used the picks for Thomas, a gifted WR who fits what we need in order to move Royal to the slot. Some slag on his lack of pro style offense experience, but Calvin Johnson played in the same system and it certainly didn't hurt him on his way to becoming a dominant WR in the NFL. I really like Thomas' makeup and think he's a guy who will quickly learn the system. High probability he'll be an impact guy year one if you ask me.

Tim Tebow is a hell of an athlete and people are exaggerating his passing issues. He definitely needs work, but he's not massively worse than a lot of guys who went in the top 10 (Vince Young, Alex Smith, etc.) and Tebow shows a willingness to give everything to succeed as well as immeasurable mental toughness.

I'd like to see what we do tomorrow with a second and two thirds. We could make some real good things happen in this deep draft. But day one has left me pretty happy.

TonyR
04-23-2010, 06:39 AM
I approve of what McDaniels has done this offseason at the QB position. He's stocked it full of talent (I still like Jay Cutler better, as an NFL QB) with the potential to give us somebody who can produce consistently on the field.

Which begs the question which QB doesn't make the roster? They're not going to carry 4. It also makes one wonder why they bothered acquiring Quinn but I guess they didn't give much up to get him...

chex
04-23-2010, 06:39 AM

I agree with this. We could have added a stud lineman on each side of the ball. I can sorta stomach the Thomas selection, heís supposed to be a player, but Tim Tebow is a huge buzzkill. Iím not going to have a meltdown and proclaim the franchise set back a decade, but this team had more pressing needs than another QB. Iím just one person, but I donít think he can succeed at the next level, at least not on a Ďwe used a 1st round pick on you so you better become the face of the franchiseí level. I hope Iím wrong and will wait and see what happens, but we could have nailed it with help on the lines. Yes, I understand this is a deep draft, but so deep that we can afford to roll the dice?

Tebow sneaking into the first round was all the talk going in, I just wish it wasnít OUR first round pick that clinched it.

v2micca
04-23-2010, 06:40 AM
As others have mentioned, I don't feel either one of these guys are bad picks. They both fit the McDaniels mold perfectly. I just think we over-paid for them. It just feels like any time we have traded up to grab someone in the first round the past few years, it has ended badly for us. So, I'm really no longer a fan of the strategy as the risk/reward ratio is just to sharp for my liking.

Now I am really hoping McDaniels can pull it together and give us a solid second and third year with the Broncos. I fear if he struggles and is replaced at HC, that the next guy will quickly scrap Tebow before we get a chance to see if he can do anything.

And I know this is a minor quibble point, but I hate left-handed Quarterbacks. Especially when our current best offensive player is our Left Tackle.

TonyR
04-23-2010, 06:41 AM
I'd like to see what we do tomorrow with a second and two thirds. We could make some real good things happen in this deep draft.

And don't you get the feeling that our top 2 picks next year are probably very much in play?

oubronco
04-23-2010, 06:43 AM
Thomas could be a real good pick but TeBlow ruins it for me especially what we gave up to get him

go_broncos
04-23-2010, 06:44 AM
As others have mentioned, I don't feel either one of these guys are bad picks. They both fit the McDaniels mold perfectly. I just think we over-paid for them. It just feels like any time we have traded up to grab someone in the first round the past few years, it has ended badly for us. So, I'm really no longer a fan of the strategy as the risk/reward ratio is just to sharp for my liking.

Now I am really hoping McDaniels can pull it together and give us a solid second and third year with the Broncos. I fear if he struggles and is replaced at HC, that the next guy will quickly scrap Tebow before we get a chance to see if he can do anything.

And I know this is a minor quibble point, but I hate left-handed Quarterbacks. Especially when our current best offensive player is our Left Tackle.

I feel our front office is not patient.They overvalue a player and on top of that they give away lot of picks.
This is not how you build a team.

toad
04-23-2010, 06:55 AM
Overall I'm satisfied with the picks....liked Thomas where we got him and don't necessarily "mind" Tebow at 25 (not a bad slot for him to go as a whole, we just have bigger needs than QB).

Minimally I think he'll play 7-8 plays a game this year in special packages (Wild Horses, etc) and may be all over the field (QB, H-Back, WR). Worst case he's Vick in Philly, better case he's a dynamic decoy a'la Reggie Bush, best case he's the future QB. To note, obviously, both Vick and Bush were selected higher than Tebow and you could consider them both poor value for where they were selected....

Cito Pelon
04-23-2010, 07:53 AM
I'll give it a 4. As long as you get good players that's the object, and it seems they got two good players. I wanted D and OL, but I'm not gonna cry forever about two good football players. We'll just have to see how it pans out.

WolfpackGuy
04-23-2010, 07:57 AM
Pure stupidity.

Give up a 2, 3, AND a 4 for Tebow?

How can anyone defend this?

I give them a -5 rating.

Rock Chalk
04-23-2010, 08:01 AM
Dez Bryant + Colt McCoy = Epic Win.

Thomas + Tebow = Epic Fail

WolfpackGuy
04-23-2010, 08:03 AM
The Cardinals had to be laughing their asses off when Williams got past Denver.

Nice job on draft day by the Broncos, AGAIN.

Oh yeah, in case anybody needed a reminder, Phonsie Smiff = Earl Thomas!

kamakazi_kal
04-23-2010, 08:03 AM
Would have liked to see an OL pick with the first ..... the WR we took looks like a Marsh clone but I don't know too much about him.

Everyone is gaga over Tebow and I'll admit he's fun to watch and has that "winner" feel about him but, man training camp will make this board nuts the Orton, Quinn, Tebow battle will set off sparks. I would love to see Orton moved today. I know it won't happen but one can hope.

jhns
04-23-2010, 08:06 AM
I don't know how to grade it after one round. I have watched Tebow play once and have never seen this receiver. It is hard to have an opinion at this point.

kamakazi_kal
04-23-2010, 08:06 AM
The O.Mane is notorious for over valuing draft picks. The roster does have a limited amount of spaces available for rookies. We can't just draft 10 guys every year. I prefer the trade up and get the two or three you guys you want early and then sign free agents to fill your needs as you go. People want to always build through the draft but the draft is such a huge crapshoot. Tebow may bust at 25 but so might Bradford at 1. The cost will be substantially less for us. Speaking of the Rams they have been building through the draft for years with high picks that have gotten them no where. Just Sayin.

Making sense does not work on the Mane. Good try though, I'm on board. That what killed me about losing Marsh this year. Knowns for unknowns.

~Crash~
04-23-2010, 08:07 AM
Dez Bryant + Colt McCoy = Epic Win.

Thomas + Tebow = Epic Fail

at were we pick and not wetting the bed like we did yes I could live with that and still have all the draft picks. but I would of rather drafted OL and DL .

Bigdawg26
04-23-2010, 08:17 AM
I really like the Thomas pick I think he's a big physical WR we need like Marshall, but without the character issues. Also, the Tim Tebow pick wasn't bad really because let's face Kyle Orton is our starting QB so we can improve there. We at least now have a Wild cat quarterback!

kamakazi_kal
04-23-2010, 08:17 AM

Ahhhh crap I didn't even notice that. WTF. If Tebow sits this year could we be looking at trades in a year by year basis of Cutler, Marshall, Clady ? I wouldn't be shocked .......

Drek
04-23-2010, 08:18 AM
And don't you get the feeling that our top 2 picks next year are probably very much in play?
I don't think they are at all. McDaniels has landed two first rounders, and he's got three more picks in the next two rounds. He's got plenty of ammo left.

If the future picks where in play I'd bet Baltimore would've been pushing for one of them instead. McDaniels chose to give up picks this year in order to not touch 2011 at all. If he was that big on this draft he would've sold picks to Baltimore to get a deal done.

Garcia Bronco
04-23-2010, 08:20 AM
We picked up a bunch of vetran line help in FA. Aside from LG and Center, we are looking good. And heck...Kuper could end up being our center for all we know.,

55CrushEm
04-23-2010, 08:22 AM
I hate to be pessimistic, but I was expecting to get some serious help out of this draft on both sides of our lines.

Jeesh, Taco. You do realize we've only completed ONE round of the draft, right? Got a long way to go, my friend. :thumbsup:

fontaine
04-23-2010, 08:25 AM
Interesting drafts so far by McDaniels.

I thought this guy was brought in to improve the trenches, but instead we get the same type of drafts we got from Shanahan. Reaching for CBs, WRs and ignoring the DL/OL.

jhns
We picked up a bunch of vetran line help in FA. Aside from LG and Center, we are looking good. And heck...Kuper could end up being our center for all we know.,

Then we would need two guards instead of G/C. That doesn't help. Anyways, my concern is that we just gave up our starting middle linebacker, center, and had major problems at guard. We haven't even tried getting anyone that looks like they may be able to play one of these 3 spots. McDaniels still has a lot of work to do.

Lolad

But who do you blame?

Exactly, our coach created a need that we didn't have prior to him getting here. Instead of picking up players at other positions we had to fill the holes HE created.

oubronco
The Question is does McD use the 2nd and two 3rds to move up and get one player

Garcia Bronco
04-23-2010, 08:31 AM
McDaniels still has a lot of work to do.

Agreed.

jhns
04-23-2010, 08:34 AM
Exactly, our coach created a need that we didn't have prior to him getting here. Instead of picking up players at other positions we had to fill the holes HE created.

I still love the amount of hate I have received for saying Orton isn't cutting it just because people want to blindly support everything McDaniels does. Guess what? McDaniels just agreed with me. I'm sorry that I actually watch football and give honest opinions. I get that is what is ruining this forum. Not those of you that troll all day crying that people aren't saying everything on this team is perfect.

go_broncos
04-23-2010, 08:40 AM
I liked the first pick..Hate the second pick..
I am still pissed..

gyldenlove
04-23-2010, 08:41 AM
Don't be such a dbag. He wasn't asked to run alot of "routes" on the so called route tree, for the offense that he played in. I'm sure he will be able to run routes just fine. So I understand your concern that he didn't run them and wasn't asked to run many of them in college but not asking him to run many and not being able to are two very different things.

The Tbow thing vexed me. I loved how we moved down to acquire all those extra picks but then we gave up 3 of them to move back up to get Tbow. Who knows if this was a good move or not, only time will tell. I obviously don't think he's ready to start at QB for this team but I can tell you that our "Wildhorses" package will have a lot more extra umph to it. I can see Tbow contributing in that package right away, and it being taken to a new level. Now teams have to honor the pass out of that package also and can't stack the run.

This thread is a bit of an odd one since you can't really rate your draft for a few years but it's fun to see what fans think. If we can still land some quality linemen in the later rounds, it should be fine.

"Okay Mr Thomas I know you were never asked to perform an emergency tracheotomy but I am sure you will do just fine"......

He also wasn't asked to block defensive linemen much, do you think he will do fine with that as well? how about solving differential equations? do you think he will just fine because it is easy to run routes well or because you are going to be a little bit sad if it turns out he can?

ColoradoBuff
04-23-2010, 08:42 AM
excellent!!!!!!

Drek
04-23-2010, 08:48 AM
Then we would need two guards instead of G/C. That doesn't help. Anyways, my concern is that we just gave up our starting middle linebacker, center, and had major problems at guard. We haven't even tried getting anyone that looks like they may be able to play one of these 3 spots. McDaniels still has a lot of work to do.

Mario Haggans was given an extension last off-season and was named a defensive team captain last year. He's naturally an ILB. He will be our starting ILB unless Larsen really breaks out and takes the job from him. We aren't going to go get another ILB until later in the draft, unless a steal slides to us.

Hochstein and Olsen will battle it out for one of the two open OL spots, at a minimum. That is all but guaranteed at this point. McDaniels is going to give those two a shot to beat each other out for the job at OG or C.

Still, its only round one and we have THREE picks in the next two rounds.

We went into yesterday with one pick on Thursday night, three on Friday night. With where we where picking Iupati and Pouncey where over picks. We ended up getting some good offers to move back and ended the night making two picks on Thursday but we still have three picks on Friday night.

McDaniels worked the draft pretty well yesterday. I'd like to see him keep it up. Ideal world for me is moving back from #45 to the ~50's and picking up a mid-4th to fill that gap. That will put us in good position to make sure we get Walton or Tennant with a mild overpick and then go BPA through the rest of the draft.

ColoradoBuff
04-23-2010, 08:48 AM

like Iupati, Pouncey or Dan Williams don't have a bust factor as well. All 3 have holes in their games. Iupati struggled in the Senior Bowl against elite competition, Pouncey has had trouble with snaps with the QB under center and he wasn't even making the OL calls either, and Dan Willaims only had ONE year of production. But here we are, all calling Tebow a bust.....

bowtown
04-23-2010, 08:55 AM
Okay so I've made it pretty much abundantly clear that I don't like the Tebow pick, and I'm pretty lukewarm on the Thomas pick. But I think my frustration so far has even more to do with the way we got them.

Things started out so promising, and I'd be even more furious if we hadn't made those initial moves to gain the picks we would later spend, so great. But then to just turn around and seemingly throw them away for one guy who we didn't need to move up for and another guy who we probably could have still had a little later for a cheaper price... it just feels like last year all over again.

Can we please make it through one effing round of a draft tonight without needlessly moving up to take a player that no one else wants for at least 10 more picks?

It's the same crap as last year. I understand having targets, but if you have a little patience and a backup plan, then you don't have to sell the farm to get them. So far, I've been happy with McDaniels as a FA builder and pleased with his mentality and efforts as a coach, but his draft management continues to leave me befuddled.

jhns
04-23-2010, 10:01 AM
Mario Haggans was given an extension last off-season and was named a defensive team captain last year. He's naturally an ILB. He will be our starting ILB unless Larsen really breaks out and takes the job from him. We aren't going to go get another ILB until later in the draft, unless a steal slides to us.

Then we are down an OLB. Who do we have for that? I still see three starting spots that have yet to be addressed this offseason. Not that I am complaining about the first round. We had major needs at those two spots as well.

ScottXray
04-23-2010, 10:05 AM
I like the WR , and am disappointed in the TT pick.

ANd I don't know Who is my adopt a Bronco....
Was supposed to be Chicagos pick (11) but that guy doesn't even play for Denver now.

Smiling Assassin27
04-23-2010, 10:07 AM
games are won in the trenches. the first two picks did not address this, and so i rated last night on that frame of reference. depending on the rest of the draft, it can still become a 4, IMO.

broncosteven
04-23-2010, 10:10 AM
This.

Finally a topic Popps can't or won't defend to the death.

bloodsunday
04-23-2010, 10:10 AM
I'm going to take the chicken little middle ground. I don't know. I like moving back to save cash and get more picks. I don't think we had to move up to get either player (maybe just back into the 1st round to get Tebow, perhaps 30 - 32). So we gave back some of those extra picks in a deep draft.

We only got 2 picks for Marshall and we used one to get Tebow. I just don't see Thomas as replacing Marshall in 1 year, so I am left wondering who we are going to throw the ball to.

That said, I see the appeal of both guys and I think their upside makes them intriguing to have a Denver Broncos.

Drek
04-23-2010, 10:24 AM
Then we are down an OLB. Who do we have for that? I still see three starting spots that have yet to be addressed this offseason. Not that I am complaining about the first round. We had major needs at those two spots as well.

Robert Ayers. Our 1st from last year who now has had a season to learn the system.

McDaniels really likes how Haggans, Ayers, and Reid all play. That is why he extended one and brought in the other two. He's going to keep them all playing if possible and as Ayers develops he'll demand more snaps. The best solution there is Haggans moving back to his natural ILB spot while Ayers/Reid split the SOLB job between the two of them.

I'd like us to add some middle round linebackers, outside or inside I'm not picky, but LB is not a first round need for this team. I personally don't think it should even be a second round need. Third or later? Sure, if the right guys are there.

TheReverend
04-23-2010, 10:27 AM
Okay so I've made it pretty much abundantly clear that I don't like the Tebow pick, and I'm pretty lukewarm on the Thomas pick. But I think my frustration so far has even more to do with the way we got them.

Things started out so promising, and I'd be even more furious if we hadn't made those initial moves to gain the picks we would later spend, so great. But then to just turn around and seemingly throw them away for one guy who we didn't need to move up for and another guy who we probably could have still had a little later for a cheaper price... it just feels like last year all over again.

Can we please make it through one effing round of a draft tonight without needlessly moving up to take a player that no one else wants for at least 10 more picks?

It's the same crap as last year. I understand having targets, but if you have a little patience and a backup plan, then you don't have to sell the farm to get them. So far, I've been happy with McDaniels as a FA builder and pleased with his mentality and efforts as a coach, but his draft management continues to leave me befuddled.

http://obamiconme.pastemagazine.com/entries/images/31/98/883167/original_image.png?1235463249