PDA

View Full Version : What seems to be overlooked in the Tebow pick

OCBronco
04-22-2010, 10:22 PM
I keep going back to this line in McDaniels' pre-draft presser:

""No question. You look at the tape, and the only thing that you can say about the tape that isn't flattering or very impressive is that he dips the ball a hair. He has already fixed that. I think that's something that you can fix through repetition. He's already done it. He proved that at his pro day. Everything else that you're watching on film is accurate, tough, smart, good leader, versatile, can move out of the pocket, can move in the pocket, can run with the ball. This guy scored... What is he, the third-leading passer all-time and the leading scorer in rushing touchdowns over Herschel (Walker)? There are so many things that you can say about the kid. Then, to top that all off, he's every bit the person that you read about before you got the chance to meet him. He's very enthusiastic, wants to work hard, smart, bright, one of the smarter players I've ever been around in terms of coming out of college."

I see McDaniels using Tebow as a change of pace, Wildcat player in the middle of the field, and then more extensively near the goal line. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Broncos run the usual New England dink-and-dunk between the twenties, and then incorporate Tebow more in the red zone.

This is one area where the team had problems last season in finding ways of getting into the end zone inside the 20. With that in mind, you don't draft a player with his obvious scoring ability (especially running), and keep him on the bench.

Here's a question I'm curious about: how many short yardage TDs (rushing and passing) does Tebow need to score next season in order to justify the pick?

Bob's your Information Minister
04-22-2010, 10:25 PM
The only thing that justifies the pick is Tebow becoming a franchise quarterback.

Rohirrim
04-22-2010, 10:26 PM
I remember people being very hyperbolic when Vince Young came in the league too. Man! He was going to change everything! He's was amazing!

SonOfLe-loLang
04-22-2010, 10:27 PM
The only thing that justifies the pick is Tebow becoming a franchise quarterback.

So what will justify the Tyson Jackson pick?

Tebow isn't going to be some beast by by the goal line.

He's 236 pounds and runs a 4.7.

NFL linebackers are going to laugh at him.

SoDak Bronco

Well now that bob has broken it down for us..END THREAD

04-22-2010, 10:28 PM
So what will justify the Tyson Jackson pick?

Nothing. Terrible pick. But at least he can play his position.

OCBronco
And here's what McDaniels said in his presser tonight in response to the question of whether Tebow fits the Broncos' system. Sounds like he's leaning towards using Tebow in a number of different ways:

"We stole a lot of (University of Florida's) plays maybe three or four years ago. They run a lot of different things. They ask their quarterback to do a lot. No college quarterback - or very few I should say - have run or done what we're going to do, or what other NFL teams do necessarily, because the game has spread out so much. There are so many different things going on right now in the college football game that maybe you don't see in the professional football league. What Tim has been asked to do - mentally, there is a lot of burden on him - same thing here. What he's been asked to do in terms of reading defenses and progressions and those types of things is similar to what he'll have to do in the National Football League. He's been well coached - I have a great deal of respect for (University of Florida Head) Coach (Urban) Meyer. I have a good relationship with (Meyer), known him for a long time and understand what (Tebow) has had to do and what he's had to learn. I don't really look at it and say, ‘His system doesn't fit our system.' No quarterback's does. I'm not really worried too much about it, I just know what he's been asked to do and what he's been able to accomplish in that system there. I won't deny that he doesn't give you an opportunity to create some un-gameplanned production, similar to (Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback) Ben Roethlisberger, or a (Washington Redskins quarterback) Donovan McNabb or someone like that where you draw the play up there on the board and all of the sudden it doesn't necessarily look as pretty as I thought it would but then he makes it work some other way - there is an element to his game like that."

SoDak Bronco
A reach for Tebow, I'd rather had drafted McCoy, we gave up too much for him...We needed a NT, Dan williams right there..arrgghhh

SonOfLe-loLang
04-22-2010, 10:31 PM

I didnt realize a 2 yard plunge into the endzone required a fast 40 time. We've all watched Tebow play a lot in college and all understand that, for some reason, some NFL backs have a knack for getting in the endzone. Marcus Allen was amazing at it and wasnt all that big. Tebow has that talent and he will improve the broncos offense near the goal line, which has been horrible, well, for years.

OCBronco
04-22-2010, 10:32 PM
And another quote from McDaniels, on what Tebow's role might be next season:

"On how quickly Tebow can be a starting quarterback in the NFL and what his immediate role may be

"The answer of the starter and all that is going to be determined by what they do. They're all going to learn the same things, be given the same opportunity. Our starting quarterback is Kyle Orton. If somebody performs better than Kyle Orton then that's going to have to change but right now it hasn't and we'll see what happens as we move forward. Tim is a player who is capable of doing different things. He could be a gameplan-type thing if that's what we determine is best early in his career. He's done a lot of things in his career, running the football and doing different things in terms of handling the football. He's a guy that gives you the opportunity to create some packages like that and if you want to use that then you can get creative. There's no mystery about the Wildcat (offense) becoming more in vogue and having a player who may be able to do both run and pass the ball gives you another option."

04-22-2010, 10:34 PM
Tebow is going to get lit the **** up if they try to use him like that.

Doggcow
04-22-2010, 10:35 PM

He... Can?

Tebow is six feet three and 245 pounds, all thick polygons and smooth flat planes and inescapable corn-fed handsomeness.

What is Jackson?

Rohirrim
04-22-2010, 10:35 PM
Damn! McD isn't even mentioning Brady Quinn. Why did he even trade for him? Maybe he's going to trade him tomorrow? Buffalo? Vikes? ;D

manchambo
04-22-2010, 10:36 PM
And another quote from McDaniels, on what Tebow's role might be next season:

"On how quickly Tebow can be a starting quarterback in the NFL and what his immediate role may be

"The answer of the starter and all that is going to be determined by what they do. They're all going to learn the same things, be given the same opportunity. Our starting quarterback is Kyle Orton. If somebody performs better than Kyle Orton then that's going to have to change but right now it hasn't and we'll see what happens as we move forward. Tim is a player who is capable of doing different things. He could be a gameplan-type thing if that's what we determine is best early in his career. He's done a lot of things in his career, running the football and doing different things in terms of handling the football. He's a guy that gives you the opportunity to create some packages like that and if you want to use that then you can get creative. There's no mystery about the Wildcat (offense) becoming more in vogue and having a player who may be able to do both run and pass the ball gives you another option."

That's kind of the whole point about why people think this is a bad pick. You don't pick a guy you're going to use in gimmicky packages in the first round. You pick a guy who can play the position.

Rohirrim
04-22-2010, 10:37 PM
He... Can?

Tebow is six feet three and 245 pounds, all thick polygons and smooth flat planes and inescapable corn-fed handsomeness.

What is Jackson?

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-set?.out=jpg&id=wH3vRxOY3RG82Qdv5dYV8w&size=l

SonOfLe-loLang
04-22-2010, 10:37 PM
That's kind of the whole point about why people think this is a bad pick. You don't pick a guy you're going to use in gimmicky packages in the first round. You pick a guy who can play the position.

Thats just for next year. I'll safely assume McD thinks he'll be the starter at some point in the next 3 years. Suddenly Tebow doesnt get time to learn the position? I'm not saying he'll be a success, but you are misinterpreting him if thats what you got from his comment

~Crash~
04-22-2010, 10:39 PM

Pouncey might be another reason.

Broncos4Life
04-22-2010, 10:40 PM
Tebow is going to get lit the **** up if they try to use him like that.

Really? I recall Castle getting lit the **** up just playing QB. Its footbal you dumb redneck. This isnt flag football.

scttgrd
04-22-2010, 10:40 PM
You pick a player at this position that is going to be an impact player. Oh he will see some impact, right in his face is where he will see the impact.

~Crash~
04-22-2010, 10:41 PM
Thats just for next year. I'll safely assume McD thinks he'll be the starter at some point in the next 3 years. Suddenly Tebow doesnt get time to learn the position? I'm not saying he'll be a success, but you are misinterpreting him if thats what you got from his comment

So we are throwing away 3 years ?

04-22-2010, 10:42 PM
This isnt flag football.

Hence why drafting Tebow was a really dumb ****ing move by McKid.

Borks147
Damn! McD isn't even mentioning Brady Quinn. Why did he even trade for him? Maybe he's going to trade him tomorrow? Buffalo? Vikes? ;D

ha, at this point would it really surprise you?

"This just in, McDaniels trades.....himself for a conditional pick next year"

~Crash~
add in most QB's take 4 years to get were they win SB's so you think McD gets 7 years right ?

SonOfLe-loLang
04-22-2010, 10:43 PM

How is being patient with one pick "throwing away three years" Ask Charger fans if they are ok with Philip Rivers. Ask Titans fans if they were ok with McNair. He's more of a project, so you should give him some time. Unlike Rivers and McNair, Tebow is useful in gadget and goal line situations right away.

~Crash~
04-22-2010, 10:44 PM
ha, at this point would it really surprise you?

"This just in, McDaniels trades.....himself for a conditional pick next year"

thanks something made me smile ...:sunshine:

TheDave
04-22-2010, 10:45 PM

At least 2...

HAT
04-22-2010, 10:46 PM
"We stole a lot of (University of Florida's) plays maybe three or four years ago.

Absolutely love this mother ****ing coach!

~Crash~
04-22-2010, 10:46 PM
How is being patient with one pick "throwing away three years" Ask Charger fans if they are ok with Philip Rivers. Ask Titans fans if they were ok with McNair. He's more of a project, so you should give him some time. Unlike Rivers and McNair, Tebow is useful in gadget and goal line situations right away.

you act like we have a Center named Pouncey...:wave:

Rohirrim
04-22-2010, 10:47 PM

There are many who think the running QB works so much better in college because the DBs just aren't that good tacklers. In the NFL, that is no longer the case. Which is why most coaches don't like to see their QBs running the ball very often.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-22-2010, 10:48 PM
you act like we have a Center named Pouncey...:wave:

Since when did the center become the most important part of an offense? Since when did anyone say the key to florida's offense was Maurkice Pouncey? Show me a list of all the first round centers ever drafted. Comparably, i bet its a real short list.

Your point is so beyond invalid it hurts.

~Crash~
04-22-2010, 10:49 PM
Absolutely love this mother ****ing coach!

good for you .:afro:

SonOfLe-loLang
04-22-2010, 10:49 PM
There are many who think the running QB works so much better in college because the DBs just aren't that good tacklers. In the NFL, that is no longer the case. Which is why most coaches don't like to see their QBs running the ball very often.

I completely understand your Tebow concerns and share some as well, but the guy has a nose for the endzone. Some guys just know how to wiggle their way in there (Marcus Allen comes to mind). Tebow is a load that can bring it.

OCBronco
04-22-2010, 10:55 PM
I guess I don't understand why scoring touchdowns in the redzone counts as a gimmick. If it helps the team win games, I don't really care what you call it.

Of course, the jury is out on this decision, obviously. But if the Broncos are successful at using Tebow in a limited role next season, I can just see the pundits now: "Oh, that's terrible. They're using him in the wildcat and delaying his development. Tebow had a chance to be developed as a QB, but now that's all squandered. They should have kept him on the bench, etc., etc."

This is the great thing about being a pundit. You can talk out of both sides of your mouth, and it carries no professional consequences for you whatsoever.

BroncoInferno
04-22-2010, 10:56 PM
At least 2...

LOL I am glad you people know so much more than an actualy NFL coach, a guy who coached a player who had not started since high school into a quality stater (at least with New England), a guy who coached an average bum (in most folks opinion) in Orton into a solid starter...but, yeah, he is wrong on Tebow and you with your vast experience are right LOL

STBumpkin
04-22-2010, 11:00 PM

Really? I wasn't aware that the only players taken before Tebow were franchise QBs. I don't care if he comes in and scores TDs for us as a fullback, if he can score, he's worth the pick.

TheDave
04-22-2010, 11:08 PM
LOL I am glad you people know so much more than an actualy NFL coach, a guy who coached a player who had not started since high school into a quality stater (at least with New England), a guy who coached an average bum (in most folks opinion) in Orton into a solid starter...but, yeah, he is wrong on Tebow and you with your vast experience are right LOL

Believe it or not... I'm not the only one who thinks he is at least 2 years away from starting.

04-22-2010, 11:16 PM
Really? I wasn't aware that the only players taken before Tebow were franchise QBs. I don't care if he comes in and scores TDs for us as a fullback, if he can score, he's worth the pick.

McDaniels is rotting your brain.

orange crusher
04-22-2010, 11:25 PM
I'm liking this pick more and more with each of Bob's posts.

BroncoInferno
04-22-2010, 11:27 PM
Believe it or not... I'm not the only one who thinks he is at least 2 years away from starting.

He'll start in 2011 if there is football...unless Orton or Quinn become All-Pro. He's smart and dilligent and will respond to McD's coaching.

DBroncos4life
04-22-2010, 11:28 PM
What does Clady think about the right side?

TheDave
04-22-2010, 11:30 PM
He'll start in 2011 if there is football...unless Orton or Quinn become All-Pro. He's smart and dilligent and will respond to McD's coaching.

First off that opinion is in the minority. The overwhelming majority of people feel he is 2-3 years away.

and if I was the coach I would be adding talent that can help me in 2010.

BroncoInferno
04-22-2010, 11:34 PM
First off that opinion is in the minority. The overwhelming majority of people feel he is 2-3 years away.

The "majority" opinion are guys who don't have actual NFL jobs. McD I think is fair to say as a leg up on the Kipers of the world given that he developed a guy who had not started since high school into a quality QB (at least with New England) and Orton who many thought was a bum (he was at least solid last season with McD).

and if I was the coach I would be adding talent that can help me in 2010.

Maybe, but I think this pick clearly shows that he has Bowlen's confidence for the near future.

Doggcow
04-22-2010, 11:34 PM
Also, TIM TEBOW WANTS TO BE HERE. Everyone is complaining about Marshall, Cutler, Hillis, Sheff etc... Tebow will work harder than any of them ever would for us. That motivation for a team is going to be special.

FireFly
04-22-2010, 11:35 PM
What does Clady think about the right side?

Is Tebow a leftie?

DBroncos4life
04-22-2010, 11:40 PM
Is Tebow a leftie?

yep

TheDave
04-22-2010, 11:42 PM
The "majority" opinion are guys who don't have actual NFL jobs. McD I think is fair to say as a leg up on the Kipers of the world given that he developed a guy who had not started since high school into a quality QB (at least with New England) and Orton who many thought was a bum (he was at least solid last season with McD).

Maybe, but I think this pick clearly shows that he has Bowlen's confidence for the near future.

Newsflash... neither do you.

right now you think he starts 2011... I think it's 2012, if ever.

neither of our guesses helps this year, IMO thats more important than another developmental QB.

ZONA
04-23-2010, 12:33 AM

or can he? hahahahahah. Anybody can play a position, but to be good at is something else.

now go away fly