PDA

View Full Version : Prisco: McDaniels can kiss job goodbye with Tebow pick

Bronco CB40
04-22-2010, 08:13 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/13275324/broncos-mcdaniels-can-kiss-job-goodbye-with-tebow-pick

FireFly
04-22-2010, 08:26 PM
less than 8-8 or playoff and he's in trouble

go_broncos
04-22-2010, 08:27 PM
Mcd should be FIRED immediately

Jekyll15Hyde
04-22-2010, 08:28 PM
great article... Lets get Mc***Stick out of here

spdirty
04-22-2010, 08:28 PM
http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3171_A_tale_of_six_quarterbacks.html

mhgaffney
04-22-2010, 08:29 PM
Ouch. That's harsh.

STBumpkin
04-22-2010, 08:30 PM
You don't think he briefed Bowlen on this first? Riiiiiiight. He had Bowlen's blessing or I'll eat my hat.

FireFly
04-22-2010, 08:30 PM
5th round talent?

Harsh

I just hope it's not true.

But imo Tebow should not be starting this season, perhaps not even next

Dagmar
04-22-2010, 08:31 PM
Will you tell him to get full blown aids too BroncoCB40?

scttgrd
04-22-2010, 08:33 PM
This coach wasted two drafts in a row, now all we need is for him to trade next years first for some other useless player. I can't see how this team has managed to get better today.

Bob's your Information Minister
04-22-2010, 08:33 PM
You guys should probably be happy with this pick. It's going to get McDaniels fired sooner rather than later.

DBroncos4life
04-22-2010, 08:36 PM
No way, jersey sales, huge gains in fans, the draft pick was perfect. He gets 3 more years to develop Tebow. Smart move

Drek
04-22-2010, 08:36 PM
You don't think he briefed Bowlen on this first? Riiiiiiight. He had Bowlen's blessing or I'll eat my hat.

The Rooney's have to pay a quarter million dollar fine to the NFL because Holmes and Roofiesburger couldn't behave. They've already got sponsors dropping the team.

Tebow isn't much of a risk for that stuff. I'd say Bowlen is probably quite pleased with these events.

Dagmar
04-22-2010, 08:37 PM
No way, jersey sales, huge gains in fans, the draft pick was perfect. He gets 3 more years to develop Tebow. Smart move

Excellent post.

Rohirrim
04-22-2010, 08:38 PM
Prisco is right. Clausen is better than Tebow. Much better, in fact.

zms325i
04-22-2010, 08:39 PM
The Rooney's have to pay a quarter million dollar fine to the NFL because Holmes and Roofiesburger couldn't behave. They've already got sponsors dropping the team.

Tebow isn't much of a risk for that stuff. I'd say Bowlen is probably quite pleased with these events.

Also, he could end up being a hell of a baller. Was in college. Just needs some tutoring. Couldn't have gone to a better team to get that done.

Rohirrim
04-22-2010, 08:39 PM

Most GMs wouldn't consider it a successful strategy to trade a ****load of picks in the heart of the deepest draft in a decade to trade into the first round for a guy who won't see the field for three years. I mean, most.

DBroncos4life
04-22-2010, 08:40 PM

At sucking dick

BroncoInferno
04-22-2010, 08:42 PM

No, he isn't. No crazy about the pick, particularly in the 1st, but Claussen won't be better than Tebow. He'll be a bust, mark it down.

yerner
04-22-2010, 08:43 PM
I'm shocked this guy is getting support on here. He had a chance to draft talent on the lines and passed for a guy that wont play. This is the worst case scenario for most on this board before tonight.

Durango
04-22-2010, 08:49 PM
I imagined some nightmare scenarios because McDaniels showed he's impulsive, compulsive and a crap judge of talent in last years draft, but this. Good Lord. This franchise may have to re-build from the basement, check that, foundation up once Bowlen finally understands this kid should not be charge of his franchise. What an incredible waste, of time and resources.

rmsanger
04-22-2010, 08:50 PM
God I love this.. we get rid of players like Cutler, Brandon, and Scheffler and bring in Alphonso Smith, Tim Tebow, Orton, and Quinn... It's kinda hard to like our direction unless you were serious orange colored glasses and drank the orange punch.

*** this guy and *** bowlen for hiring him. I want my refund and Shanny back again..

DBroncos4life
04-22-2010, 08:50 PM
Most GMs wouldn't consider it a successful strategy to trade a ****load of picks in the heart of the deepest draft in a decade to trade into the first round for a guy who won't see the field for three years. I mean, most.

They wouldn't walk out of the best draft with the best QB either.

Archer81
04-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Lots of crying after one round of the draft.

Typical.

:Broncos:

cmhargrove
04-22-2010, 08:54 PM
Well, the Tebow thing will take a year or two to figure out, but Prisco - he's always been a prick.

SoDak Bronco
04-22-2010, 08:55 PM
This pick is the end of the line..I am no longer going to support McD..He has something to prove..that is all

Sim Pilot 4.0
04-22-2010, 08:56 PM
This kid is no better than Orton or Quinn I don't get it

BroncoMan4ever
04-22-2010, 08:58 PM
I am sure that the team is happy with the pick. Great character guy, good leader, and a guy willing to do anything asked of him for his team. Sit him a year while Orton leads this season and have McDaniels grooming him. If he could turn a guy like Cassel who hadn't started in almost a decade into a QB several teams were interested in trading for in a single season, just stop and think what he can do with Tebow.

DenverBrit
04-22-2010, 09:03 PM

Bowlen would have been onboard with the pick. Not sure about how much we gave up to get him though.

I lost count of the picks from the trading in round one.

Anyone know exactly what we gave up for Tebow, taking into account the picks gained via today's trades?

Finger Roll
04-22-2010, 09:07 PM
well I think the Buffalo Bills would disagree with Prisco

theAPAOps5
04-22-2010, 09:09 PM
Oh God the drama queens on the Mane have not disappointed tonight. Keep up the theatrics I love laughing at you!

look I would be the first one calling out McD if he drafted St. Tebow with #11. In fact I stated I would buy a billboard with a middle finger and McD if he drafted Tebow. But he was able to trade down and amass picks he got a great WR and he took a flyer on Tebow. The Broncos still have lots of picks and can still fix their needs.

Kaylore
04-22-2010, 09:13 PM
I wouldn't say it's written in stone that McDaniels is getting fired. However his career is completely tied to Tebow, and Tebow's odds of succeeding at even a nominal level in the pros are not good.

If this was a third round pick, I'd be ok with it. But once again McDaniels falls in love with a player and overpays because he can't contain himself. Once again that player is a character guy with average physical ability.

Taco John
04-22-2010, 09:14 PM

The Buffalo Bills haven't been above .500 since 1999. The last playoff game they won was in 1995 under Marv Levy.

Taco John
04-22-2010, 09:16 PM
I wouldn't say it's written in stone that McDaniels is getting fired. However his career is completely tied to Tebow, and Tebow's odds of succeeding at even a nominal level in the pros are not good.

If this was a third round pick, I'd be ok with it. But once again McDaniels falls in love with a player and overpays because he can't contain himself. Once again that player is a character guy with average physical ability.

I'd have LOVED Tebow as a third round project. As a first round project when we need a quality NT and interior line just to compete this year is mind numbing. I'd trade our draft for SF's draft straight across right now. Those guys made out with the picks that we needed.

DomCasual
04-22-2010, 09:21 PM
Pete Prisco is a douche.

That's all.

Kaylore
04-22-2010, 09:23 PM
I'd have LOVED Tebow as a third round project. As a first round project when we need a quality NT and interior line just to compete this year is mind numbing. I'd trade our draft for SF's draft straight across right now. Those guys made out with the picks that we needed.

I'm not a big "draft for need guy", so that we passed on those picks doesn't bug me. What bugs me is who we passed on and what we paid to get who we did. I don't think it will be worth it. If McDaniels class from last year doesn't blow up this year (in a good way) I'm not sold McDaniels will be here long enough to see the Tebow experiment through.

Bronco CB40
04-22-2010, 09:24 PM
Once again that player is a character guy with average physical ability.

Tebow actually has a strong arm and good athleticism. It's his skills that need work, but his physical ability is fine.

Durango
04-22-2010, 09:24 PM
The Buffalo Bills haven't been above .500 since 1999. The last playoff game they won was in 1995 under Marv Levy.

You beat me to it. It's not like Buffalo is revered as the NFL scouting model. Quite the reverse. If they were hot on Tebow, that might've been a good signal for everyone else to stay away.

NFLBRONCO
04-22-2010, 09:25 PM
I actually think this move proves McD has longer leash

Banana Pants
04-22-2010, 09:26 PM
So does Xander get a pass on this pile of dung?

Victor
04-22-2010, 09:27 PM
This kid is no better than Orton or Quinn I don't get it

Really? Tebow is considered by some to be the best football player in the history of college football...ever. I don't think that Orton or Quinn are in that league. Maybe, just maybe the front office knows a bit more about football that the chicken littles on this board who are convinced that the sky is falling.

Good lord people...the draft is a total crap shoot anyway. Half of the first rounders wash out and people are getting bent out of shape over losing two mid-round picks for the price of a potential qb star. That is the price of admission boys.

strafen
04-22-2010, 09:31 PM
Tebow is who I thought we'd pick.
You only need to blame McDaniels if you don't like the pick.
For starter, when McDoofus became the Broncos head coach, QB and WR weren't a position we needed to upgrade, let alone address in the draft with two first round picks no less

That said, do we need a QB and a WR, yes we did. We also need a center, an interior lineman, a LB and DE's

We will see if Tebow is the future. I'd like to believe he is.
McDaniels may start him this year to make a point in the same way he tried with Sloshown Nogaino

Rohirrim
04-22-2010, 09:31 PM
Really? Tebow is considered by some to be the best football player in the history of college football...ever. I don't think that Orton or Quinn are in that league. Maybe, just maybe the front office knows a bit more about football that the chicken littles on this board who are convinced that the sky is falling.

Good lord people...the draft is a total crap shoot anyway. Half of the first rounders wash out and people are getting bent out of shape over losing two mid-round picks for the price of a potential qb star. That is the price of admission boys.

Hmmm. I thought that title went to Archie Griffin.

gtown
04-22-2010, 09:34 PM
I get the feeling that McD is repeating Belichigk's history. He had to ruin the Brown's before getting it right with NE.

BroncoInferno
04-22-2010, 09:36 PM
Once again that player is a character guy with average physical ability.

Well, you aren't talking about Tebow, then. Because he has far from "average" physical ability. His problem is his passing skills are raw. But the physical ability is there.

strafen
04-22-2010, 09:37 PM
The tell tale of two drafts (2009-2010)

We could've had either two of these players:
Clay Matthews, Ray Maualuga, Orakpo, Brian Cushing, Raji
Or:
Iupati, Pouncey, Derrick Morgan, Sean Weatherspoon, Bryan Bulaga

Oh boy!

Victor
04-22-2010, 09:41 PM
Hmmm. I thought that title went to Archie Griffin.

I said by some...check out this link from si and the take on pick 25:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2010/draft/tracker/draft_analysis/index.html

yerner
04-22-2010, 09:42 PM
Well, you aren't talking about Tebow, then. Because he has far from "average" physical ability. His problem is his passing skills are raw. But the physical ability is there.

Disagree. His size is not ideal. His arm strength is not ideal. His accuracy is not ideal. His speed is not noteworthy.

Kid A
04-22-2010, 09:43 PM
This kind of argument is ridiculous. If McDaniels loses his job it will be 100% because the team doesn't win enough on the field, nothing to do with whether Tebow pans out.

Don't want to blow too many minds, but what if Orton or Quinn win the QB battles over the next couple years and lead the team to good things while Tebow sits? On the flip side, if Tebow becomes a good QB while the rest of the team goes downhill McD won't be too well off.

If the team as a whole improves, it won't matter how Tebow does. He's one pick in one draft. A big splash to be sure, but one player all the same.

Kaylore
04-22-2010, 09:45 PM

As a ball carrier but not as a passer or QB. His balls sail a bit and he's not terribly accurate. Not a strong arm. Not a fan of lefty's either.

extralife
04-22-2010, 09:46 PM
So whether or not Tebow pans out has nothing to do with whether or not we win games?

Man, I always knew this whole draft thing was a bunch of bull.

BroncoInferno
04-22-2010, 09:46 PM
Disagree. His size is not ideal. His arm strength is not ideal. His accuracy is not ideal. His speed is not noteworthy.

Well, that's why you aren't an NFL scout. He can obviously move and make plays on the run. He doesn't have Elway arm strength, but it is adequate. He's 6'3" 240, so I'm not sure where you get that his size isn't ideal. That's a protypical NFL QB.

BroncoInferno
04-22-2010, 09:48 PM
As a ball carrier but not as a passer or QB. His balls sail a bit and he's not terribly accurate. Not a strong arm. Not a fan of lefty's either.

Mechanics. That's where McD comes in. Hopefully he is right that Tebow's "dip" can be corrected.

Victor
04-22-2010, 09:49 PM

The facts would seem to refute your opinion.

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3171_A_tale_of_six_quarterbacks.html

doonwise
04-22-2010, 09:50 PM

Wow! Thanks for the post.

Popps
04-22-2010, 09:50 PM
Look, I like the idea of Tebow. I wasn't wild about our first round. It's probably legitimate to question this pick.

But, that article was embarrassing. He sounds like a child. He sounds worse than the panty-knotted posters around this ****-hole. What an embarrassing piece of "journalism."

I might even agree with him on some level, but that was hard to read.

extralife
04-22-2010, 09:51 PM
The facts would seem to refute your opinion.

Lets just add Kliff Kingsbury, Graham Harrell and Colt Brennan as players G, H and I. I guess they'll be NFL hall of famers any day now, right?

yerner
04-22-2010, 09:55 PM
Well, that's why you aren't an NFL scout. He can obviously move and make plays on the run. He doesn't have Elway arm strength, but it is adequate. He's 6'3" 240, so I'm not sure where you get that his size isn't ideal. That's a protypical NFL QB.

6'3 is not a ideal size for a qb in the first round. its on the short side. all his physical tools are not first round material. look, the guy's nice. he just isn't a guy that should be drafted that high unless he has one elite physical skill.

go_broncos
The problem with Mcd is that he gives too much importance to character.
He believes if a person has a good character, he can develop his skills.

All his player's that he got or drafted are good character and team player's.
In this process, he ignores skill set.

In NFL, you just don't win games with character..A team need player's like Marshall, Rivers etc.
As long Mcd sticks with this philosphy, we are not going to win games.

Bronco CB40

From Sporting News:

STRENGTHS

Is big and has the athleticism that few quarterbacks possess. Has a strong arm and can make every NFL throw with good zip when he strides into his throws. Has the size/strength to pull free from potential sacks and create something out of nothing. Does not force passes into bad spots.

BroncoInferno
04-22-2010, 09:56 PM
6'3 is not a ideal size for a qb in the first round. its on the short side. all his physical tools are not first round material. look, the guy's nice. he just isn't a guy that should be drafted that high unless he has one elite physical skill.

John Elway was 6'3". Tryoy Aikman was 6'3". Etc. He has ideal size. You are wrong.

Durango
04-22-2010, 09:57 PM
From Sporting News:

STRENGTHS

Is big and has the athleticism that few quarterbacks possess. Has a strong arm and can make every NFL throw with good zip when he strides into his throws. Has the size/strength to pull free from potential sacks and create something out of nothing. Does not force passes into bad spots.

Yeah, The Sporting News gets everything right. When it comes to football savvy, they give excellent hunting tips.

Archer81
04-22-2010, 10:00 PM

In NFL, you just don't win games with character..A team need player's like Marshall, Rivers etc.

So now Tebow is not talented?

I suppose setting college records for TDs, winning a Heisman or winning championships was just some fluke.

Edit* An aside. Tomorrow will be crazier. Just a feeling.

~Crash~
04-22-2010, 10:02 PM

So how the bills doing with there picks latelyLOL

~Crash~
04-22-2010, 10:04 PM

I suppose setting college records for TDs, winning a Heisman or winning championships was just some fluke.

he has no chance making this team better next year buy a clue.

yerner
04-22-2010, 10:04 PM
John Elway was 6'3". Tryoy Aikman was 6'3". Etc. He has ideal size. You are wrong.

I'm not saying they're aren't players at his height that excel. Obviously there are as you just mentioned. But those others are guys that had superior passing accuracy and excellent arm strength. We just disagree.

Archer81
04-22-2010, 10:05 PM

Grammar is your friend.

Considering I have been saying he will get to sit and learn before he sees the field as a starter, you may want to rethink this obvious gem of ignorance.

~Crash~
04-22-2010, 10:06 PM

that is why we are not worried about the O-line !:thumbs:

SonOfLe-loLang
04-22-2010, 10:08 PM

I'll save this post when he vastly improves our goal line offense next season.

~Crash~
04-22-2010, 10:08 PM
Grammar is your friend.

Considering I have been saying he will get to sit and learn before he sees the field as a starter, you may want to rethink this obvious gem of ignorance.

You act like this coach has forever to dismantle . I seen a owner state otherwise .

Bronco CB40
04-22-2010, 10:09 PM
Yeah, The Sporting News gets everything right. When it comes to football savvy, they give excellent hunting tips.

The question is arm strength and multiple scouting reports are stating that Tebow was plenty of it:

From NFLDraftScout.com

Arm Strength: Prototypical arm strength. Can make every NFL throw. Can zip short and intermediate passes and flashes touch and trajectory on deeper throws. Only occasionally asked to throw true deep balls in this offense, but has the arm strength to do so.

Garcia Bronco

He's 6-3. That's good size for QB. Anybody can put on mass

go_broncos

Edit* An aside. Tomorrow will be crazier. Just a feeling.

Tebow mechanics are horrible.I watched all the games.
I am ok if we had drafted him in 3rd round.
But, to draft him in 1st round and give that many picks is ridiculous

~Crash~
04-22-2010, 10:10 PM
I'll save this post when he vastly improves our goal line offense next season.

I wanted tebow on our team two years ago but he does not help our team this year .

~Crash~
04-22-2010, 10:11 PM

this .

Archer81
04-22-2010, 10:11 PM
You act like this coach has forever to dismantle . I seen a owner state otherwise .

I have seen an owner...

Bowlen gave Shanahan a decade. I can see him giving McDaniels 5 to see if this works out.

Also, Shanahan did the same thing with the Broncos roster when he took over in 1995. That is what happens when new coaches are hired.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-22-2010, 10:12 PM
I wanted tebow on our team two years ago but he does not help our team this year .

I'll say it again. IN GOAL LINE SITUATIONS HE WILL VASTLY IMPROVE OUR TEAM. He has a nose for the endzone, is a big, athletic QB that can bull into the endzone. He did this consistently in college. yes, bigger O-line will help, but Tim Tebow knows how to get in the endzone. He will help THIS YEAR.

2KBack
04-22-2010, 10:12 PM

6-3 and 245lbs. I'm not sure where the size question comes in. Is Jay cutler at 6-3 and 235lbs the wrong size?

yerner
04-22-2010, 10:14 PM

I'm just saying that the guy doesn't have one exceptional physical quality like most first rounders. 6'3 is okay if he has a rocket arm or can run really fast or can throw extremely accurate. He doesn't do any of those things really well. He does all of them okay. If he were a towering 6'5 like Flacco with long arms I could see him making a case as a first rounder. On the physical side.

Garcia Bronco
04-22-2010, 10:16 PM

He's worked them out. Check out the Science: Tim Tebow thread

montrose
04-22-2010, 10:17 PM
As coaches and QBs are often married in the NFL - I don't think it's a stretch that McDaniels' success and longevity as the HC in Denver (especially consider the Cutler and Marshall deals) is tied to Tebow.

Archer81
04-22-2010, 10:18 PM
I'm just saying that the guy doesn't have one exceptional physical quality like most first rounders. 6'3 is okay if he has a rocket arm or can run really fast or can throw extremely accurate. He doesn't do any of those things really well. He does all of them okay. If he were a towering 6'5 like Flacco with long arms I could see him making a case as a first rounder. On the physical side.

Flacco was a first rounder because of a great combine and proday. His arm length had little to do with it.

Its not like Drew Brees is physically imposing. He has better than average arm strength and is barely over 6'0.

enjolras
04-22-2010, 10:19 PM

I don't think McDaniels is looking for "character", he's looking for passion. Guys who play for each other and get out there and compete. That's the issue with Cutler and Marshall. They lack the passion to get out and play hard every down.

Think Bill Romanowski. I think McDaniels would LOVE to have him on this team. He's not high 'character' (in the church morals sense), but he is incredibly passionate about football.

Passion does help you win football games. You simply can't win(superbowls) in the NFL without a highly passionate football team. It's amazing how few teams actually get that.

TheReverend
04-22-2010, 10:20 PM
I have seen an owner...

Bowlen gave Shanahan a decade. I can see him giving McDaniels 5 to see if this works out.

Also, Shanahan did the same thing with the Broncos roster when he took over in 1995. That is what happens when new coaches are hired.

Bowlen gave the only Superbowl winning, HoF coach in franchise history 10 years. He gave Wade 2.

Oh, and I support the Tebow pick. Not the cost to get him. But the pick itself. Would rather have stayed at 24 and selected him than moving up for Thomas and back up for Tebow and kept every other pick in this draft.

~Crash~
04-22-2010, 10:21 PM
I'll say it again. IN GOAL LINE SITUATIONS HE WILL VASTLY IMPROVE OUR TEAM. He has a nose for the endzone, is a big, athletic QB that can bull into the endzone. He did this consistently in college. yes, bigger O-line will help, but Tim Tebow knows how to get in the endzone. He will help THIS YEAR.

not to piss you off but that was Pounecy

Archer81
04-22-2010, 10:22 PM
Bowlen gave the only Superbowl winning, HoF coach in franchise history 10 years. He gave Wade 2.

Oh, and I support the Tebow pick. Not the cost to get him. But the pick itself. Would rather have stayed at 24 and selected him than moving up for Thomas and back up for Tebow and kept every other pick in this draft.

I always got the impression the Wade selection at HC was as a seat warmer for Bowlen until the guy he wanted as HC was available.

Garcia Bronco
04-22-2010, 10:22 PM

He is the most efficent QB in SEC History.
He is a great leader
He is almost a 3 time National Champion
He wins
He could sell a porch swing to a guy with no porch
we got him for nothing

it was a 776 to 776 trade on the draft chart.

TheReverend
04-22-2010, 10:23 PM
I always got the impression the Wade selection at HC was as a seat warmer for Bowlen until the guy he wanted as HC was available.

It was, imo. But the reality is you have no precedent for your statement of saying he'll give Josh 5 years other than gut opinion.

Archer81
04-22-2010, 10:25 PM
It was, imo. But the reality is you have no precedent for your statement of saying he'll give Josh 5 years other than gut opinion.

Josh signed a 5 year deal to become Broncos HC. I dont think I am wrong to say I think Bowlen will let him live out the contract's life.

04-22-2010, 10:26 PM
Me: The Donx traded Marshall and Sheffler.

http://blog.cleveland.com/browns_impact/2008/11/medium_Romeo-Crennel-hey-tony.jpg

Ro: You ****in with me.

Me: No, dude. I'm serious.

Ro: Yeah, ok. They get some kind of bad ass with all their picks or something?

Me: Well, I honestly don't know. Are (reading) De-mary-us Thomas and Timmy Tebow bad ass?

http://www.blogcdn.com/nfl.fanhouse.com/media/2008/11/romeo-crennel-miracle-113008.jpg

Ro: You think this is funny? Wasting my time is some kind of game for you?

Me: No, seriously, it's right here on NFL.com. Look.

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/romeo-crennel-confused.jpg
http://grammaticalchaos.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/crennel2.jpg
http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/crennel_romeo0207.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/nfl.fanhouse.com/media/2008/12/romeo-crennel-122808.jpg

Me: Do it, Coach. Give Josh the "You're a homo."

http://media.commercialappeal.com/mca/content/img/photos/2007/12/03/4d3rc.jpeg

yerner
04-22-2010, 10:29 PM
He is a great leader
He wins
we got him for nothing

Not arguing with that. I just don't believe if the guy was not on a team that won so much that he would even be considered a first round talent.

Broncos4tw
04-22-2010, 10:31 PM
We got him for nothing? If we could have gotten a better player, we paid quite a bit, if he doesn't pan out. I don't even get the BradyQ move now. Makes no sense.

yerner
04-22-2010, 10:32 PM
Flacco was a first rounder because of a great combine and proday. His arm length had little to do with it.

Its not like Drew Brees is physically imposing. He has better than average arm strength and is barely over 6'0.

Not sure we disagree. Flacco is the ideal first round talent. He has the height and arm you want at the pro level.

Brees could really throw the ball with accuracy.

What does Tebow do really well? 6'3 isn't exceptional.

2KBack
04-22-2010, 10:34 PM
What does Tebow do really well?

Win...score touchdowns...outwork his opponents

SonOfLe-loLang
04-22-2010, 10:34 PM
not to piss you off but that was Pounecy

Maurkice Pouncey was the sole reason Tim Tebow was a TD scoring machine in college? Yeah, ok.

BroncoInferno
04-22-2010, 10:36 PM

If McD can mold an untalented QB like Cassel into a quality starter, why can't he do that with a talented guy like Tebow? Mechanics can be fixed if the guy has a strong work ethic and a good attitude, which Tebow has. The skill set is clearly there.

Paladin
04-22-2010, 10:37 PM

You're right. All he does is win games and championships.

Oh, yeah, the Heisman.....

Broncos4tw
04-22-2010, 10:38 PM
The funniest thing about all this is how supportive and "got his back" McD has been of Orton. And everyone who actually thought Orton was good (snicker), said "of course he has his back.. Orton is better than you think!" And since the end of the season.. we've picked up TWO Qbs, including essentially paying a lot more for one, than he is worth.

Yup.. Orton is gold baby.

Archer81
04-22-2010, 10:38 PM
Not sure we disagree. Flacco is the ideal first round talent. He has the height and arm you want at the pro level.

Brees could really throw the ball with accuracy.

What does Tebow do really well? 6'3 isn't exceptional.

I am not sure why you keep pushing the 6'3 isnt exceptional thing. He has prototypical size you want in a QB. Tebow has good arm strength, his accuracy can be improved, as can his mechanics. His ability to score points and get to the endzone is rather impressive. Breaking a record set by a HB in Herschel Walker proves that.

Using Brees as an example, it took him 9 years to go from a 2nd round pick to a superbowl MVP. He improved every facet of his game every season to become a complete player. I do not see it as impossible for Tebow to do the same.

Archer81
04-22-2010, 10:39 PM
The funniest thing about all this is how supportive and "got his back" McD has been of Orton. And everyone who actually thought Orton was good (snicker), said "of course he has his back.. Orton is better than you think!" And since the end of the season.. we've picked up TWO Qbs, including essentially paying a lot more for one, than he is worth.

Yup.. Orton is gold baby.

We can do alot worse than have Kyle Orton starting for us the next few seasons.

BroncoInferno
04-22-2010, 10:39 PM
What does Tebow do really well?

Gee, let's see...score touchdowns, run over opponents, out work the opposition, win games. You're right, he's a loser.

6'3 isn't exceptional.

It is proto typical. Elway, Aikman, Brees (two inches shorter), etc.

Harvitz81
04-22-2010, 10:40 PM
we didn't use a first rounder on him. In essence after all the trading we used our #43 and 4th rounder and received Tebow and a third rounder back. Not bad if you ask me.

Los Broncos
04-22-2010, 10:41 PM
It's disappointing that we didn't go after offensive or defensive line help.

Tebow is at least 2 years out from even thinking about starting.

Paladin
04-22-2010, 10:44 PM
Not arguing with that. I just don't believe if the guy was not on a team that won so much that he would even be considered a first round talent.

Huh?

They won and Tebow was the QB, the team leader.

Do you know what the heck you are saying?

Not to put too fine a point on it, but that was an increadibly stupid thing to say.....

Broncos4tw
04-22-2010, 10:44 PM
We can do alot worse than have Kyle Orton starting for us the next few seasons.

That wasn't the point. Yea, I'm sure we could. Orton is average, at BEST imo. He is nothing special. He isn't a playmaker. But.. it just shows how much you can't trust a thing McD says. I'd be VERY reluctant to come play for the Broncos, after seeing the things McD has done. He tells players they are the "man." Then he does things that say the exact opposite. If I were a Bronco player, I'd be worried for my job no matter what McD says to you.

Archer81
04-22-2010, 10:46 PM
That wasn't the point. Yea, I'm sure we could. Orton is average, at BEST imo. He is nothing special. He isn't a playmaker. But.. it just shows how much you can't trust a thing McD says. I'd be VERY reluctant to come play for the Broncos, after seeing the things McD has done. He tells players they are the "man." Then he does things that say the exact opposite. If I were a Bronco player, I'd be worried for my job no matter what McD says to you.

Until Quinn or Tebow beat out Orton, he technically is "the man". Bringing in competition should relay to Orton that his play should drastically improve.

scttgrd
04-22-2010, 10:49 PM
Until Quinn or Tebow beat out Orton, he technically is "the man". Bringing in competition should relay to Orton that his play should drastically improve.

How about some competition on the lines? Sure we needed a 4th Qb more than some front seven talent or even a center.

Cosmo
04-22-2010, 10:49 PM
He is a great leader
He wins
we got him for nothing

This.

And by "we got him for nothing", lets just say we take Thomas at 11.

Means no 2 thirds. We traded a 2nd, a 3rd we got for waiting on Thomas and a 4th. So, we basically traded a 2nd and 4th and got an extra 3rd. Not free, but I am easily ok with trading a 2nd and 4th for Tebow.

Also, Here is my prediction for what Tebow does year 1-3.

Year 1:
Orton starts, Tebow plays on Wild Horses and 3rd & short/goal line situations. Even if he just hands off the ball, it gets the team worried that Tebow runs. Orton gets hurt, Quinn starts, Tebow keeps the same role.

Year 2:
Orton tendered low or not resigned as McD tired of Orton getting hurt. Tebow given a chance to compete for #1 position and loses out to Quinn. Tebow resumes same role as year 1, but more throws involved, as he has more experience. Perhaps even lines up at H-back & split out TE.

Year 3:
Quinn either is a perfect player or Tebow gets his shot. So we either wasted a 1st on Tebow or our 6th rounder we spent on Quinn pans out. But Tebow probably stays as our Slash type player until his contract is out and someone else gives him a chance to start, or Tebow proves everyone wrong.

So, where has McD gone wrong? I think it is an excellent move and on top of all this, Tebow will generate more income for Bowlen and shows that McD is serious about character guys and the locker room starts buying in fully seeing who he keeps bringing in and who is shipped out.

Conclusion: Tebow = Good gamble.

Archer81
04-22-2010, 10:50 PM
How about some competition on the lines? Sure we needed a 4th Qb more than some front seven talent or even a center.

Thank God the NFL draft is only the first round now, huh?

No existing player on the roster can take over at center and excell.

We is doomed.

Baba Booey
04-22-2010, 10:52 PM
Yeah, it's best to trust some douchebag named Pete Prisco's word over that of an NFL coach.

Laughable.

chickennob2
04-22-2010, 11:12 PM
If I were a Bronco player, I'd be worried for my job no matter what McD says to you.

What's that? No one's job is safe? You have to compete every day for your spot?

What a novel concept!

I can't imagine any other coach values competition for starting positions.

04-22-2010, 11:40 PM
Tim Tebow joins an illustrious group.

Rex Grossman.

Jesse Palmer.

Danny Wuerffel.

Kerwin Bell.

Wayne Peace.

John Reaves.

Steve Spurrier.

Bobby Lance.

Taco John
04-22-2010, 11:42 PM
You forgot Todd Blackledge.

~Crash~
04-22-2010, 11:43 PM
You forgot Todd Blackledge.

that was on propose :sunshine:

yerner
04-22-2010, 11:46 PM
Huh?

They won and Tebow was the QB, the team leader.

Do you know what the heck you are saying?

Not to put too fine a point on it, but that was an increadibly stupid thing to say.....

**** off. You're jumping into the middle of a discussion and missing my point. Tebow doesn't possess any first round talent physically imo. I'm not talking about his football resume. Damn, you can't even have a discussion with someone without jerkoffs like you jumping in and throwing out insults.

ZONA
04-22-2010, 11:48 PM
You all should know by now. This 1st part of the draft could have went down 100 different ways, and the hardcore McD haters would have still frowned on it. You all are entitled to your opinions but to say McD is getting fired because of drafting Tbow is stupidity at it's best. Bowlen is part of the drafting process. He may not pick the guys but I'm sure he's aware of the players McD had on his board and is okay with it. If he really didn't like Tbow, I'm sure he would have said something. Josh is not getting fired. Get a clue, and post with logic and sense next time. Sheeesh.

ZONA
04-22-2010, 11:50 PM

Rex Grossman.

Jesse Palmer.

Danny Wuerffel.

Kerwin Bell.

Wayne Peace.

John Reaves.

Steve Spurrier.

Bobby Lance.

You spend more time on this board then your own. You're the most obvious closet Bronco fan there is. lol

yerner
04-22-2010, 11:53 PM
Gee, let's see...score touchdowns, run over opponents, out work the opposition, win games. You're right, he's a loser.

It is proto typical. Elway, Aikman, Brees (two inches shorter), etc.

Sarcasm aside, I am strictly talking about his physical attributes as compared to what a typical first rounder normally possesses. I think that they normally have at least one that is above average. I don't believe Tebow does. He does have all those other things you mentioned.

And I just disagree that 6'3 is an above average trait for a qb. I would say Joe Flacco has ideal size. Just a different opinion.

04-22-2010, 11:56 PM
You spend more time on this board then your own. You're the most obvious closet Bronco fan there is. lol

I spent about seven hours on CP today. Been on here for a couple. Schadenfreude.

Rausch 2.0
04-22-2010, 11:59 PM

He's clearly in the closet but it has nothing to do with the Donks...

DBroncos4life
04-23-2010, 12:07 AM
This ****er made me get a twitter account.

Steve Sewell
04-23-2010, 12:12 AM
6'3 is not a ideal size for a qb in the first round.

Perhaps I should just put you on ignore now, because you obviously don't know what the **** you're talking about.

04-23-2010, 12:15 AM
He's correct.

The "ideal" size for a top quarterback prospect is 6-5, 6-6.

6-3 is "acceptable." Two inches shorter and you usually fall OUT of the first round.

But in Tebow's case he could be eight feet tall and he still wouldn't be worth a first-round pick, so who gives a ****?

Taco John
04-23-2010, 12:18 AM
I'd happly give up a first round pick for Tebow if he was 8 feet tall with an identical skill set. That would be a no-brainer.

DBroncos4life
04-23-2010, 12:22 AM
He's correct.

The "ideal" size for a top quarterback prospect is 6-5, 6-6.

6-3 is "acceptable." Two inches shorter and you usually fall OUT of the first round.

But in Tebow's case he could be eight feet tall and he still wouldn't be worth a first-round pick, so who gives a ****?

Yeah what does McD know about QBs anyways. Say Cassel how is that 63 million dollar contract treating you?

04-23-2010, 12:23 AM
Yeah what does McD know about QBs anyways. Say Cassel how is that 63 million dollar contract treating you?

Well, McD wanted Cassel...so what DOES he know about QBs?

ZONA
04-23-2010, 12:25 AM

go away fly

DBroncos4life
04-23-2010, 12:26 AM

Who is a more talented player for less then 63 million dollars Alex?

Answer Tim Tebow.

eddie mac
04-23-2010, 01:29 AM

A ****load Roh, I'd hardly call a mid 2nd, mid 3rd and mid 4th a ****load, also given the fact that Denver didn't have 2 of those picks until an hour before the Tebow selection.

elsid13
04-23-2010, 02:03 AM
First people need to forgot about Tebow's college numbers. Those don't mean anything. Especial coming from a system that had superior talent across the board and give it QB some very easy reads. Remember Alex Smith looked really good in Urban Myer system too.

Tebow - has ok size, but not great speed, and most of the things he did in college will NOT translate to the NFL. He going to have to be pocket QB that can move a little, and the question can he make the NFL throw, something he wasn't asked to in college. He is a major project and wasn't worth the draft picks.

Bronco CB40
04-23-2010, 02:11 AM
First people need to forgot about Tebow's college numbers. Those don't mean anything. Especial coming from a system that had superior talent across the board and give it QB some very easy reads. Remember Alex Smith looked really good in Urban Myer system too.

Tebow - has ok size, but not great speed, and most of the things he did in college will NOT translate to the NFL. He going to have to be pocket QB that can move a little, and the question can he make the NFL throw, something he wasn't asked to in college. He is a major project and wasn't worth the draft picks.

I agree the spread offense amplifies Tebow's numbers a tad, but I do agree with the general premise of this article. Manning, Russell and Stafford had great pro talent around them too.

McDaniels' offense is a quick, short passing system that suits Tebow quite well. There are reputable people out there like Jon Gruden that feel he is going to revolutionize football. I wouldn't go that far, but I do think Denver took a worthwhile risk here on the most important position in football.

Elway777
04-23-2010, 02:14 AM
I think Tebow is a great fit but I prefer Clausen. Getting a Qb with 26 pick is a good investment because you have him for 5 years at a low cost. Tebow is a great leader that can beat with his legs plus maybe the best deep passer in the draft . Thomas has as much upside as anybody in draft but I would of prefered Bryant .

Elway777
04-23-2010, 02:18 AM
I agree the spread offense amplifies Tebow's numbers a tad, but I do agree with the general premise of this article. Manning, Russell and Stafford had great pro talent around them too.

McDaniels' offense is a quick, short passing system that suits Tebow quite well. There are reputable people out there like Jon Gruden that feel he is going to revolutionize football. I wouldn't go that far, but I do think Denver took a worthwhile risk here on the most important position in football. I agree Tebow is a great fit for McDaniels offence plus maybe the best deep passer in draft that can also beat you with his legs. He is also physical tough enough to take the hits something that Bradford might not be able to do.

hambone13
04-23-2010, 02:18 AM
Tebow actually has a strong arm and good athleticism. It's his skills that need work, but his physical ability is fine.

Hilarious!
Thank you Oh, Knower of the Known....Oh, Master of the Obvious

hambone13
04-23-2010, 02:38 AM

Have you watched the guy play? You don't see any exceptional physical qualities? I think you're over thinking the value of your perception of "physical qualities". He just wins. By that, I believe it's the combination of his rounded/balanced talents lend to diversity to win.

08-22-2011, 11:44 AM

Rex Grossman.

Jesse Palmer.

Danny Wuerffel.

Kerwin Bell.

Wayne Peace.

John Reaves.

Steve Spurrier.

Bobby Lance.

:strong:

Old Dude
08-22-2011, 01:33 PM
Evil bump, Bob.

bendog
08-22-2011, 01:35 PM
yes, but the notion came to mind. I don't think its preordained, but Dove Valley has to be having some thought as to biting the cap bullet next year and giving up the 60 silver pieces.

DBroncos4life
08-22-2011, 01:40 PM
Evil bump, Bob.

I hated reading my post about how drafting Tebow bought McD 3 more years to develop him.

Kaylore
08-22-2011, 01:44 PM
I'm not a big "draft for need guy", so that we passed on those picks doesn't bug me. What bugs me is who we passed on and what we paid to get who we did. I don't think it will be worth it. If McDaniels class from last year doesn't blow up this year (in a good way) I'm not sold McDaniels will be here long enough to see the Tebow experiment through.

Hmmmmm....

bronco militia
08-22-2011, 01:57 PM
I hated reading my post about how drafting Tebow bought McD 3 more years to develop him.

bowlen took that card away after getting caught cheeting

bronco militia
08-22-2011, 01:59 PM
Hmmmmm....

does it count that I thought he should have been fired after the 2009 loss at home to the chiefs?

DBroncos4life
08-22-2011, 02:01 PM
does it count that I thought he should have been fired after the 2009 loss at home to the chiefs?

I thought he should be fired after he traded Cutler. :) I gave him a pass because he drafted Tebow but, I still hated McD.

Kaylore
08-22-2011, 04:29 PM
What is funny to me somehow people labeled me a McD fan, like I was enjoying everything he was doing. Though I do remember during that period that the anti-McDaniels group felt if you didn't hate him on a very visceral level and endeavor to attack him personally at every opportunity, not matter how relevant to the topic, then you were a McDaniels fan.

DBroncos4life
08-22-2011, 04:35 PM
What is funny to me somehow people labeled me a McD fan, like I was enjoying everything he was doing. Though I do remember during that period that the anti-McDaniels group felt if you didn't hate him on a very visceral level and endeavor to attack him personally at every opportunity, not matter how relevant to the topic, then you were a McDaniels fan.

We who know know who they are. ;)

WolfpackGuy
08-22-2011, 05:37 PM
I thought he should be fired after he traded Cutler. :) I gave him a pass because he drafted Tebow but, I still hated McD.

He should've been fired literally the second he THOUGHT about trading Cutler.

The Goodmans probably laughed in his face in front of Bowlen one night at Applebee's leading to their dismissals.

Blueflame
08-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Speak of the devil... Cutler's putting together a pretty impressive drive against the Giants right now.

TheReverend
08-22-2011, 05:45 PM

That's because this an '10 bump and not an '09 one...

Broncos4tw
08-22-2011, 06:33 PM
I just hated McD because as a coach.. he sucked. As someone rebuilding the team, he sucked. As a drafter, he really sucked. That was my main beef.

tsiguy96
08-22-2011, 06:37 PM
I just hated McD because as a coach.. he sucked. As someone rebuilding the team, he sucked. As a drafter, he really sucked. That was my main beef.

as a coach, i think theres no doubting how effective he was and how much his players learned under him. he just didnt draft great (though i think theres 5-6 starters on this team from his drafts), and most of all didnt motivate well it appears, and as kupesdad said, threw so many people under the bus taht he had no one left to blame at the end of the day.

about the original article, prisco said about every negative thing you could say about mcd, he was bound to right on atleast some.

TheReverend
08-22-2011, 06:57 PM
as a coach, i think theres no doubting how effective he was and how much his players learned under him. he just didnt draft great (though i think theres 5-6 starters on this team from his drafts), and most of all didnt motivate well it appears, and as kupesdad said, threw so many people under the bus taht he had no one left to blame at the end of the day.

about the original article, prisco said about every negative thing you could say about mcd, he was bound to right on atleast some.

ROFL!

You can't even make this **** up. You're adorable.

tsiguy96
08-22-2011, 07:05 PM
ROFL!

You can't even make this **** up. You're adorable.

kupesdad said kuper learned more under mcdaniels in 18 months about football than he had previously ever learned. even klis (i think) a few days ago blatantly said mcdaniels has a higher football IQ than fox.

Kaylore
08-22-2011, 08:24 PM
kupesdad said kuper learned more under mcdaniels in 18 months about football than he had previously ever learned. even klis (i think) a few days ago blatantly said mcdaniels has a higher football IQ than fox.

Wellll, the linemen also said, to a man, it was overly complicated.

SoCalBronco
08-22-2011, 08:27 PM

The proof is in the pudding, dude. If they really learned a ton more from him then anyone else, then it should have translated onto the field. We had probably the worst OL last year that we've had in quite a while.

Oh and quoting Mike Klis to support your opinion on anything is not the greatest idea.

Gort
08-22-2011, 08:59 PM

i loved the 6-0 start in season #1. everything after that... not so much. as a HC he was too paranoid. as an OC he could still have a long career in this league, but his time here was a major clusterf*ck for the Broncos organization (in retrospect).

tsiguy96
08-23-2011, 02:08 AM
The proof is in the pudding, dude. If they really learned a ton more from him then anyone else, then it should have translated onto the field. We had probably the worst OL last year that we've had in quite a while.

Oh and quoting Mike Klis to support your opinion on anything is not the greatest idea.

im not quoting klis im quoting kupesdad. im not defending his success on field, 12-20 record sucks especially in context of 6-20 after his first 6 games. just sayin though, some guys really really benefitted under him and it still shows now (orton, lloyd, tebow seems to have regressed now), and i think in terms of learning about the game of football, theres no way chris kuper was alone. but he just wasnt an effective head coach.

steeledude
08-23-2011, 05:40 AM

Wait, wait...you're listening to Klis? The guy has been categorically wrong on everything he ever said.

jhns
08-23-2011, 06:03 AM
Tsi just can't get over his hero. Why would you love the guy that tankee the team you supposedly root for? Maybe you should be a Rams fan...

tsiguy96
08-23-2011, 06:08 AM
Wait, wait...you're listening to Klis? The guy has been categorically wrong on everything he ever said.

be sure to ignore the first, relevant, part of my post.

and jhns, im about 99% sure you just dont read anything before making your comments.

jhns
08-23-2011, 06:11 AM
be sure to ignore the first, relevant, part of my post.

and jhns, im about 99% sure you just dont read anything before making your comments.

I read everything. You still haven't stopped trying to convince yourself that McDaniels really was good here... Rams fan.

tsiguy96
08-23-2011, 06:15 AM
I read everything. You still haven't stopped trying to convince yourself that McDaniels really was good here... Rams fan.

are you really that stupid? READ MY ****ING POST IDIOT

but he just wasnt an effective head coach.

jhns
08-23-2011, 06:20 AM

I did read your post, Rams fan.

This is also after you started threads about how much more talented the team is after McDaniels. You can't even keep your Rams fan spins straight.