PDA

View Full Version : Demaryius Thomas Highlights

Broncosfreak_56
04-22-2010, 07:46 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1nDhGrYAx5g&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1nDhGrYAx5g&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Reminds me of Brandon Marshall.

gtown
04-22-2010, 07:47 PM
He looks exactly like Marshall. I think this pick will work out for us.

Dedhed
04-22-2010, 08:00 PM

Marshall with speed and high character.

Kid A
04-22-2010, 08:05 PM
I like. Just keep him away from the McDonald's bags.

Eldorado
04-22-2010, 08:06 PM
Somebody show some Marshall college vid, please.

FireFly
04-22-2010, 08:08 PM
Meh, I would have rathered a WR in rd 2 and an OL with this pick but I feel as though he'll be a productive if not spectacular WR for us

brncs_fan
I can't help but think that we just drafted Lelie v2.0

FireFly
little bit of a reach imo

broncowill
04-22-2010, 08:09 PM
from what i heard this guy has terrible route running and yet he still looks like marshall. if he can fix this just think about what he can become.

Dedhed
04-22-2010, 08:10 PM
I can't help but think that we just drafted Lelie v2.0

Comparing Thomas to Lelie is like comparing Jerome Bettis to Quentin Griffin.

HEAV
04-22-2010, 08:26 PM
Bay-Bay!

Drek
04-22-2010, 08:30 PM

Thicker legs, better straight line speed. Looks physical but its against college kids, Marshall beat up on NFL level talent.

I think the best comp for him would be Calvin Johnson, who played in the same offense and has similar measurables. Johnson was more productive in college and didn't have an injury to deal with coming out, but he showed no issues transitioning to the NFL pro style offense, so that is a good sign for Thomas.

I'd guess he's here to take over the deep threat (Randy Moss) role so that Royal can move to the slot (Wes Welker) role, and Gaffney will take over Marshall's old job. I'm betting we add a late rounder to help us add some competition for Gaffney though. I wouldn't even be surprised if we take Regis Benn at #45 if he's there.

brncs_fan
04-22-2010, 08:30 PM
Comparing Thomas to Lelie is like comparing Jerome Bettis to Quentin Griffin.

What I keep seeing and reading is... fast, good hands but limited route running ability and mostly a vertical receiver.

extralife
04-22-2010, 08:33 PM
I just wonder why we traded up two spots for him. Was he really in danger of being taken?

gyldenlove
04-22-2010, 08:36 PM
The really good thing is that the picks we got for Marshall are worth less than the pick we spend on Thomas, that was a great trade.

Br0nc0Buster
04-22-2010, 08:40 PM
I like the pick
Had no idea he was on our radar, but he is so talented, just a bit raw

hopefully Josh works out his rough edges

brncs_fan
04-22-2010, 08:51 PM
The good news is that he scored a 76yd TD on a bubble screen

Taco John
04-22-2010, 08:53 PM
I don't like drafting WRs in the first round, but I'm ok with a late round flyer. The thing that I don't understand is why we gave up anything to move up for him. It seems like we did it just to do NE a favor. Who else was going to take him ahead of us?

misturanderson
04-22-2010, 08:56 PM
What I keep seeing and reading is... fast, good hands but limited route running ability and mostly a vertical receiver.

But he also has bulk and physicality as well as jump ball ability that Lelie never showed.

ColoradoBuff
04-22-2010, 08:58 PM
love the Thomas pick...he will be a beast in 2-3 years max with some quality coaching/teaching. Think Marshall with great charachter!

bap454
04-22-2010, 09:19 PM
What really surprises me is the speed he shows after the catch.....was reported to have ran in the 4.3's. He looks fast in the clips.

BMarsh615
04-22-2010, 09:49 PM
Reminds me of Brandon Marshall.

He has similar size to Marshall, but he isn't as good at getting YAC as BM. He did have a couple of nice stiff arms though. :thumbs:

no-pseudo-fan
04-22-2010, 09:53 PM
What really surprises me is the speed he shows after the catch.....was reported to have ran in the 4.3's. He looks fast in the clips.

He was running away from the CB's, catches well in crowds, hands. Blocks. Lets get ready for a big season.

montrose
04-22-2010, 10:10 PM
I don't like drafting WRs in the first round, but I'm ok with a late round flyer. The thing that I don't understand is why we gave up anything to move up for him. It seems like we did it just to do NE a favor. Who else was going to take him ahead of us?

The Ravens were trying to make a move for him. My buddy back home in B-More told me on their local sports-talk they're saying the reason the Ravens dealt their 1st to us to take Tebow was because Thomas was who they had targeted and when they couldn't get him - they moved out.

razorwire77
04-22-2010, 10:17 PM
I like this pick. Something tells me that despite the Tebow fallout and subsequent media circus that will follow, that this is the kid that is going to shine in camp (if he stay healthy). He's big, physical, fast, and has excellent body control.

Doggcow
04-22-2010, 10:20 PM
That play at 3.24 is our bread and butter play too guys... Look what he does with it. He has some serious burst.

2KBack
04-22-2010, 10:22 PM
This guy seems tailor made for McD's offense.

Fusionfrontman
04-22-2010, 10:26 PM
Yeah, this guy's speed after the catch is stunning. He flys after receiving the ball. I'm excited for this pick.

ghwk
04-22-2010, 10:43 PM
Brandon who?

Hulamau
04-22-2010, 10:47 PM

New England, they had him in for a look see just like Dez and were high on him too. Maybe NE did Josh a favor but agreeing to the trade for past favors due?

randomtask
04-22-2010, 10:53 PM
There are several similarities between Thomas and Marshall, notably size, initial acceleration, catch with their hands (not body-catchers), ability to make th catch in traffic, and turn upfield quicker than most recievers (not quite like rod smith, though).

There are several differences, however. Thomas showed excellent ability to elevate above the defender (Marshall only really started developing that last year), and appears to have better straight-line speed (though that could just be compared to college talent). And while there isn't another reciever in the game that can evade and break tackles like Marshall can, Thomas seems to be holding his own in that video well (some of those stiff-arms were eye-opening.)

Some parts of that video were disturbing, though. The drops at 5:04 and 5:20 are something that can't happen when you're a reciever in the NFL. Dropping fairly routine catches like those lands you at the bottom of depth charts (see Lloyd, Brandon). Also the few shots showing him run a route that wasn't a vertical or a bubble screen generally resulted in the corner getting very close to picking the ball. That's a result of bad route running. If college corner are almost picking those, you can bet that NFL corners will pick those. Fortunately, both of these things could be the result of poor coaching, and should improve over time.

Quoydogs
04-22-2010, 10:58 PM
He reminds me of Marcus Colston and I am fine with that. I was wondering if anyone knows what his vertical is?

boppool
04-22-2010, 11:48 PM
Nice stiff arm at 3:35!

boppool
04-22-2010, 11:49 PM
He reminds me of Marcus Colston and I am fine with that. I was wondering if anyone knows what his vertical is?

He missed the combine due to the broken foot.

ZONA
04-23-2010, 12:07 AM
I'm no coach but I'm going to go out on the limb and say it's easier to teach a kid how to add some crispness to his routes then it is to teach them feel for the ball when it's in the air. If you don't have that by the time you're in your soph year in college, you never will.

I'll take a big and fast WR like this who catches extremely well in crowds, has no fear of going up for the ball or laying a good shoulder into a LB in the run game, vs a lighter blazing fast guy who can't block and doesn't have good feel for catching in traffic.

And don't worry randomtask, even the greatest of NFL WR's have dropped some balls. It's not like that's a concern with this guy.

You really got to like getting him so late on day 1, vs going after Dez early. Looks like most teams were staying away from that.

HEAV
04-23-2010, 08:13 AM
Bubble screen,quick screen... just get the ball into this kids hands and let him do what he do.

Dagmar
04-23-2010, 08:23 AM
Don't know why i wasn't enamoured with Demaryis Thomas in the first place. The highest number of catches in a season was 46 which is to be expected in a run heavy offense. I did notice that he was a big and physical guy but was very raw. His route running was simplistic and wasn't used in a variety of ways. Added to that missing the combine due to his foot injury meant i couldn't get a close up look. So all of that was why i didn't rate him as high as the actual draft experts did.

I just rewatched a vid and now i'm beginning to understand why he was ranked so highly. His hands are so secure. The ball just plops into his hands and he's very good at catching the ball at it's highest point which is a nightmare for corners. Added to that his size and physicality. You could get a real good receiver who just needs coaching. I don't think he's as athletic or elusive as Marshall though but still a damned good one. He had a very good wonderlic score which raised hopes of him being able to learn the NFL playbook and i think that wonderlic score was the main reason why we werewilling to take him over Dez Bryant who has an almost identical skillset. That and the character differences between the two.

TonyR
04-23-2010, 08:24 AM
The Ravens were trying to make a move for him. My buddy back home in B-More told me on their local sports-talk they're saying the reason the Ravens dealt their 1st to us to take Tebow was because Thomas was who they had targeted and when they couldn't get him - they moved out.

Thanks for this, makes me feel much better because 1) now I'm not as annoyed with the Broncos moving up, and 2) the Ravens are great talent evaluators so if they liked this guy that's a good sign.

zdoor
04-23-2010, 08:34 AM

NFL network made the comment that Baltimore would have taken him...

Drek
04-23-2010, 08:44 AM
Thanks for this, makes me feel much better because 1) now I'm not as annoyed with the Broncos moving up, and 2) the Ravens are great talent evaluators so if they liked this guy that's a good sign.

This is something Broncos fans need to come to terms with still.

Denver isn't the Shanahan ran team that just picks at their spots and will overpick a guy by half a round or a whole round to get the guys they personally like.

We now have a front office that is on par with other good teams, we're going to like similar players, and we're going to have to jockey for position to get those guys.

I'd bet McDaniels was feeling around with Belichick on the phone who indicated that Newsome was willing to give a 4th to get up and grab Thomas. McD offers an earlier 1st and an early 4th to beat out Baltimore's offer. That is just how the game is played.

You don't think there was some gamesmanship going on with us and Philly? That deal had been rumored for days, but we moved to 13 first. I'd bet that once we saw Morgan etc. all slide out of the top 10 Philly knew they where safe. McD let them know we could move back to 13 and still make the deal work, Philly obviously would prefer to pay less money if they have the choice so they'd be all for it as well.

Sometimes the cloak and dagger **** of Shanahan doesn't pay on draft day. While it keeps teams from knowing where you're going it also prevents you from having extra info on other teams when jockeying for those key spots to grab targets.