PDA

View Full Version : Now that Tebow is here do they let Orton walk?

broncosteven
04-22-2010, 11:10 AM
What do they do with Orton if a QB is drafted?

Orton,
Quinn
TB
Potenial draft pick.

Do they bring all 4 into camp to duke it out, cut Orton, Cut TB, Cut both TB and Orton and draft a 3rd stringer late?

Thoughts?

Dagmar
04-22-2010, 11:12 AM
Trade Orton to the Steelers for #27 today. Steelers get #27 from Cards for BB.

Drek
04-22-2010, 11:12 AM
Orton is here in 2010, and will open the season as our starting QB. Anything we do with regards to our backups will impact Brandstater primarily, and only slightly Quinn.

Orton is the #1 QB until we get someone else in here for a year to learn the system and take the job away from him.

Popps
04-22-2010, 11:13 AM
Nope.

Again, watch Orton's highlights from last season. The guy was very productive when given time. Is he a SB caliber QB? I don't know. Maybe not, but you're certainly not going to throw an efficient, top 10 ranked QB on the street because you drafted an unknown.

Plus, that's Orton's first year in the system. Without question, he'd be better in his second.

It's a great place to be. People can pout about Orton, but we're lucky to have him. It was a brilliant move to acquire him in the trade.

WolfpackGuy
04-22-2010, 11:16 AM
I thought I'd be the last person to say this, but NO.

He is the "best" option going into the season.

ColoradoDarin
04-22-2010, 11:18 AM
Orton would stay, I bet we would trade Brandstater to NE for a 5th round pick in 2011.

broncosteven
04-22-2010, 11:24 AM
They traded for Quinn, now there is talk about drafting a QB late in the 1st or moving back up into the 1st for another QB.

If the organization thought Orton was more than a stop gap they would have locked him up before the tender and only worried about bringing in a quality BU.

I am glad they are looking at upgrading the QB position but hope it is not at the expense of the other needs the team needs to address.

If we do draft a QB in the upper rounds then keep Orton for this year to break the new guy in slowly then 2010 is another stopgap rebuild year until the new guy takes over in 2011, if there is play in 2011. Give new guy a year to learn and then we are looking at 2012 being the playoff run year, 2013 if workstoppage. I will try to stay positive and hope they address D front 7 in round 1. C, LG, WR in round 2 and depth after. Lots of deep breathing and Xanax.

Dedhed
04-22-2010, 11:30 AM
There's no way Orton isn't here this season, however, I think chances are slim that he will be here beyond that.

I think the Quinn acquisition was a signal that the Broncos aren't sold on Orton long term, and taking a QB before round 4 or 5 would be an even stronger indication of that.

Kaylore
04-22-2010, 11:30 AM
No.

cmhargrove
04-22-2010, 11:32 AM
The more interesting scenario is what phone calls are made tonight if the first round ends with Tebow and McCoy still on the table.

There could be several potential trades this evening to move players, contracts, or to go after the QB's still on the table. Upper second round picks could suddenly become big trade targets.

I also expect guys like Haynesworth (doesn't fit new program) to get traded this evening after the first round is over.

Dagmar
04-22-2010, 11:35 AM
The more interesting scenario is what phone calls are made tonight if the first round ends with Tebow and McCoy still on the table.

There could be several potential trades this evening to move players, contracts, or to go after the QB's still on the table. Upper second round picks could suddenly become big trade targets.

I also expect guys like Haynesworth (doesn't fit new program) to get traded this evening after the first round is over.

The next 48 hours are going to be freaking awesome

broncosteven
04-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Makes the draft all that more fun to watch. I should have waited to post the thread but couldn't help myself.

Stepping Away from the InTERneTs for a little while.

Paladin
04-22-2010, 11:36 AM
No.

Popps
04-22-2010, 11:37 AM
Makes the draft all that more fun to watch. I should have waited to post the thread but couldn't help myself.

Stepping Away from the InTERneTs for a little while.

Treat yourself. Take the rest of the season off.

UberBroncoMan
04-22-2010, 11:37 AM
We have 3 QB's. One is our "clear starter" the other was just traded for, and the last was personally drafted by McDaniels. I can't possibly see how we'd address QB when we have glaring needs in other positions... like the O-Line (which btw affects the QB).

HAT
04-22-2010, 11:40 AM

:rofl:
:thumbs:
:thanku:

TheReverend
04-22-2010, 11:47 AM
He'll be here for one last season.

HAT
04-22-2010, 11:56 AM
He'll be here for one last season.

I will be posting odds and taking bets that Orton goes to the pro bowl next year. Stay tuned....easy money for you! :yayaya:

Hamrob
04-22-2010, 12:03 PM
I can't see us picking a QB in the 1st 3 rounds.

First McD trades Cutler
He specifically wants Orton
He drafts a young Tom Brady Clone in Brandstrater
Then he trades for Charlie Wise's main guy...Brady Quinn (Who is better than Clausen)

And now, he's supposed to waste a top pick on another QB?

If he does that...and it's not Bradford...he's an idiot!

Hamrob
04-22-2010, 12:05 PM
I will be posting odds and taking bets that Orton goes to the pro bowl next year. Stay tuned....easy money for you! :yayaya:As Brady Quinn's guest? :wiggle:

TailgateNut
04-22-2010, 12:09 PM
"IF we take a QB in the next 2 days, IF"

I'm going to kick my neighbor and dare my neighbors' dog to bark at me!

TheReverend
04-22-2010, 12:11 PM
I will be posting odds and taking bets that Orton goes to the pro bowl next year. Stay tuned....easy money for you! :yayaya:

Torn. Wouldn't bet against the Broncos or their players under any circumstances, BUT this is either free money (Manning, Brady, Rivers, Palmer are all superstars, Schaub has a shot to make it in on raw numbers and Sanchez could sneak in from the market he plays in) not to mention if Orton made it, he did great and means we have a fantastic coach and I'd gladly pay.

Tempting.

HAT
04-22-2010, 12:16 PM
Tempting.

You haven't seen the odds I will be asking for. ;D

TheReverend
04-22-2010, 12:23 PM
You haven't seen the odds I will be asking for. ;D

Well... all that means is that you're sane.

Like I said, this will be his last year here. I'm very confident about that.

broncosteven
04-22-2010, 12:31 PM

Still hoping to meet up for a beer at an OM weekend bud.

Beantown Bronco
04-22-2010, 12:37 PM
Torn. Wouldn't bet against the Broncos or their players under any circumstances, BUT this is either free money (Manning, Brady, Rivers, Palmer are all superstars, Schaub has a shot to make it in on raw numbers and Sanchez could sneak in from the market he plays in) not to mention if Orton made it, he did great and means we have a fantastic coach and I'd gladly pay.

Tempting.

Well, technically, all he said was "go to the Pro Bowl"....not start or even play in it. Guys with lesser stats all around than Orton (I'm looking at you, David Gerrard) made it this year because of the "no SB players" rule and people simply declining to go....so Orton could very well make it even if all those guys you list above out-perform him this year.

bloodsunday
04-22-2010, 12:44 PM
Orton is here in 2010, and will open the season as our starting QB. Anything we do with regards to our backups will impact Brandstater primarily, and only slightly Quinn.

Orton is the #1 QB until we get someone else in here for a year to learn the system and take the job away from him.

Nailed It.

bloodsunday
04-22-2010, 12:46 PM
I can't see us picking a QB in the 1st 3 rounds.

First McD trades Cutler
He specifically wants Orton
He drafts a young Tom Brady Clone in Brandstrater
Then he trades for Charlie Wise's main guy...Brady Quinn (Who is better than Clausen)

And now, he's supposed to waste a top pick on another QB?

If he does that...and it's not Bradford...he's an idiot!

I agree with one exception.... Tim Tebow. The reason I wonder about Tebow is the ability to use him in the "Wild Horses" formation. I think they can do things with Tebow (right away) while they improve his QB skills.

HAT
04-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Well... all that means is that you're sane.

Like I said, this will be his last year here. I'm very confident about that.

I could see that. After another career year McX should be able to ship him off for a nice bounty and give Quinn a shot after learning the offense for a year.

Jay Cutler....The gift that keeps on giving!

broncosteven
04-22-2010, 07:22 PM
So what do you guys think now?

Orton dropped like a hot potato? Not a very glowing endorsement for his services.

broncosteven
04-22-2010, 07:37 PM
mCd drafte TB last season, Trades for Quinn this year Why keep Orton around? Why trade for Quinn if your picking up Tebow?

gtown
04-22-2010, 07:46 PM
Tebow is not gonna be a QB in denver. He is here to spread the word of god to the heathens in the Denver locker room as the Broncos minister and block on ST plays.

The Joker
04-22-2010, 07:53 PM
I expect Orton will stay.

Depends on what we can get for him though, not sure if there'll be much of a market for him so I'd rather keep him for the 2010 season. Odds are he'll be the best option this coming year.

broncosteven
04-23-2010, 10:05 AM
Can we merge all the What will happen with Orton Quinn threads with this one?