PDA

View Full Version : 50/50

Broncoman13
04-21-2010, 12:25 PM
The Broncos are "in love" with two players. Expect one to be picked after a trade down...

50% chance of Weatherspoon
50% chance of Brandon Graham

Sean Weatherspoon
Height: 6-1 | Weight: 239 | 40-Time: 4.68

Official Bio

Strengths:
Good size and bulk --- Very athletic --- Great speed --- Has a burst and really closes in a hurry --- Quick and agile --- Solid instincts --- Reliable tackler and a powerful hitter --- Has sideline-to-sideline range --- Nice balance and body control --- Great strength --- Works through traffic well --- Capable pass rusher and blitzer --- Very smooth and fluid in coverage --- Good hands and ball skills --- Tough and physical --- Active with a non-stop motor --- Smart --- Hard worker --- Team leader --- Has a ton of quality experience --- Durable --- Versatile --- Super productive.

Weaknesses:
There isn't a lot of violence in his game --- Has some trouble taking on and shedding blockers --- Can use his hands better --- Takes too long to read the action on occasion --- Appears to be a little stiff --- Doesn't always play with proper pad level --- Can be overly aggressive at times.

Notes:
Nickname is "Spoon" --- Was a three-year starter at Mizzou --- Named 1st Team All-Big 12 in 2007, 2008 and 2009 --- Earned All-American honors in 2008 (3rd Team) and 2009 (2nd Team) --- Led the Tigers in tackles from 2007-2009 and ranks second in school history in that category --- Returned two interceptions for touchdowns during his career --- Also excelled on special teams --- Underwent surgery to repair a torn labrum in his shoulder prior to the 2008 season --- Could project either outside or inside at the next level --- A true playmaker who always seems to be around the action --- Fantastic all-around player with an outstanding blend of physical tools and elite intangibles.

Career Statistics
Year GP TKL TFL SACK PBU INT
2006 13 17 1.0 0.0 0 0
2007 14 127 9.5 3.0 8 0
2008 14 155 18.5 5.0 7 3
2009 13 111 14.5 4.5 2 1
Totals 54 410 43.5 12.5 17 4

Defensive End | Michigan | SR Brandon Graham
Height: 6-1⅜ | Weight: 268 | 40-Time: 4.72

Official Bio

Strengths:
Good bulk --- Aggressive with a non-stop motor --- Very strong and powerful --- Tough and physical --- Does a great job in pursuit --- Good tackler --- Plays with excellent leverage --- Holds his own versus the run --- Uses his hands well --- Has a lot of range --- Smart with great instincts --- Hard worker --- Offers some versatility --- Super productive.

Weaknesses:
Doesn't have the ideal height you look for --- Short arms --- Frame may be maxed out --- Not a great athlete --- Average speed, quickness and agility --- Not real explosive --- Lacks a burst --- Struggles in space --- A tad inconsistent --- Might have to change positions --- Upside is limited.

Notes:
A 2 year starter for the Wolverines --- Named 2nd Team All-Big Ten in 2008 and 1st Team in 2009 --- Voted Michigan's Bo Schembechler Most Valuable Player as a junior and senior --- Led the nation in tackles for a loss in 2009 --- Classic 'tweener who may have to move to linebacker or perhaps even defensive tackle at the next level --- May not have all the physical tools you'd prefer but just a good football player --- Could slip a bit on Draft Day if teams get too concerned with triangle numbers and workout results --- Eerily similar in many ways to LaMarr Woodley.

Career Statistics
Year GP TKL TFL SACK
2006 11 3 0.5 0.5
2007 13 25 9.5 8.5
2008 11 46 20.0 10.0
2009 12 64 26.0 10.5
Totals 47 138 56.0 29.5

Rohirrim
04-21-2010, 12:26 PM
Who says?

Popps
04-21-2010, 12:29 PM
A smallish, non-physical LB or the exact same guy we drafted last year?

Broncoman13
04-21-2010, 12:34 PM
My guess, the exact same guy we drafted last year.

Roh, look at the comments from both Weatherspoon himself and all of the recent talk of Graham being so high on their wish list.

I'm in the betting mood... ;D

SouthStndJunkie
04-21-2010, 12:34 PM

Please don't compare Brandon Graham and Robert Ayers ever again.

It would take 4 Robert Ayers to carry Brandon Graham's jock.

Requiem
04-21-2010, 12:35 PM
Sean or Brandon would be wonderful here.

Rohirrim
04-21-2010, 12:37 PM
My guess, the exact same guy we drafted last year.

Roh, look at the comments from both Weatherspoon himself and all of the recent talk of Graham being so high on their wish list.

I'm in the betting mood... ;D

You've got to wade through all that bs this time of year. About 1% of what you hear is the truth. ;D

Br0nc0Buster
04-21-2010, 12:38 PM
pretty meh on Weatherspoon

I like Graham a lot though
if they can find a way to him, Ayers, and Doom on the field at once then I am all for him as our first round pick

TheDave
04-21-2010, 12:39 PM
I have to admit, brandon graham's name does come up A LOT.

but unless they have another plan for Ayers, it isn't going to happen.

Broncoman13
04-21-2010, 12:41 PM
You've got to wade through all that bs this time of year. About 1% of what you hear is the truth. ;D

Generally speaking, yes... but every year about a day or two out you get a pretty good idea of who is going where. The Broncos are truly interested in both players. Like McD said last year after the draft, he doesn't do the smoke screen thing. He talks to the players he is interested in and doesn't draft a player that he hasn't talked to in the weeks leading up to the draft. Go back and look at Weatherspoon's comments about the Broncos.

Honestly, if these guys weren't both LBs, I wouldn't be shocked if he made a play for both of them.

Can Ayers play inside or bulk up to play DE? Graham is going to look good in the Orange n Blue.

randomtask
04-21-2010, 12:41 PM
50% chance of Weatherspoon
50% chance of Brandon Graham

No thank you.

Iupati, McClain, Bryant, or Dan Williams please.

Rabb
04-21-2010, 12:42 PM
I don't understand why anyone would have an issue with depth at this position

fresh rotational players like that are a very good thing, at the very least it makes for trade bait later

you can ask a lot of scouts and hear that you take BPA no matter what you need...if they are BPA we take it

TheDave
04-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Generally speaking, yes... but every year about a day or two out you get a pretty good idea of who is going where. The Broncos are truly interested in both players. Like McD said last year after the draft, he doesn't do the smoke screen thing. He talks to the players he is interested in and doesn't draft a player that he hasn't talked to in the weeks leading up to the draft. Go back and look at Weatherspoon's comments about the Broncos.

Honestly, if these guys weren't both LBs, I wouldn't be shocked if he made a play for both of them.

Can Ayers play inside or bulk up to play DE? Graham is going to look good in the Orange n Blue.

I've been wondering about that for a while now... To be honest it might fit his skill set better.

Broncoman13
04-21-2010, 12:45 PM
I've been wondering about that for a while now... To be honest it might fit his skill set better.

Less thinking for him and he does extremely well shedding blockers. I kind of think it would be a good fit but couldn't say for sure.

no-pseudo-fan
04-21-2010, 12:50 PM
Honestly, if we can trade down in the 20's get an additional 2nd, I wouldn't mind drafting Spoon, he can play ILB and OLB.

Kaylore
04-21-2010, 01:04 PM

I could see that.

ColoradoBuff
04-21-2010, 01:08 PM
no thanks...give me McClain please!

eddie mac
04-21-2010, 01:13 PM
Can you imagine poor Elvis' face when he hears that not only is Ayers receiving more cash than him this year but that Brandon Graham will get over double what he makes in 2010.

That just aint right.

Broncoman13
04-21-2010, 01:14 PM
I don't understand why anyone would have an issue with depth at this position

fresh rotational players like that are a very good thing, at the very least it makes for trade bait later

you can ask a lot of scouts and hear that you take BPA no matter what you need...if they are BPA we take it

Talented teams draft for depth... we have so many holes it is pathetic. If not for the holes at Center, Guard, WR, the age at CB, and the need for an additional TE, I'd be all for drafting depth. Too many holes.

bronco militia
04-21-2010, 01:15 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/86398/34519981_medium.jpg

prunch
04-21-2010, 01:15 PM
I find it curious that people are so down on Ayers. He was a rookie last year .... the randy moss rookie showings are a rarity. If you look back on some beloved broncos rookie years like sharpe, smith etc. you won't see pro-bowl stuff.

Patience grasshoppers!

SonOfLe-loLang
04-21-2010, 01:20 PM

Spoon isnt physical? Never really heard him accused of that regardless of what the above suggests.

The Joker
04-21-2010, 01:21 PM
I just can't see it happening with Weatherspoon, but you never know.

If we draft Weatherspoon to play alongside DJ then maybe we're switching to a very blitz-heavy scheme, almost running a 5-2 defense. It would make sense to have two very athletic linebackers out there, maybe that's what they're thinking?

Brandon Graham makes sense because you always want guys to help your pass rush.

Paladin
I find it curious that people are so down on Ayers. He was a rookie last year .... the randy moss rookie showings are a rarity. If you look back on some beloved broncos rookie years like sharpe, smith etc. you won't see pro-bowl stuff.

Patience grasshoppers!

You kidding? These folks around here want instant gratification. That's why most of them may be premature ejackulaters.....

Beantown Bronco
Can you imagine poor Elvis' face when he hears that not only is Ayers receiving more cash than him this year but that Brandon Graham will get over double what he makes in 2010.

That just aint right.

Same thing happened to Brandon Marshall every year he was here. He was always the lowest paid WR among those that actually took the field.

Dedhed
04-21-2010, 01:26 PM
Love them both.

Dedhed
04-21-2010, 01:28 PM

Patience grasshoppers!

Particularly when you draft a guy knowing that he's a 2-3 year guy, which is what every report dais on him coming out. I was impressed that he got as much PT as he did.

bowtown
04-21-2010, 01:29 PM

That just aint right.

Maybe he shouldn't have been so short coming out of college. He has no one but himself to blame.

Popps
04-21-2010, 01:31 PM
Please don't compare Brandon Graham and Robert Ayers ever again.

It would take 4 Robert Ayers to carry Brandon Graham's jock.

We'll see. Ayers was known to be a guy who needed 2-3 years to really develop. So, I'm not sure we can make a judgment on how either will do as a pro at this point.

That said, I'm always a huge fan of improving the pass rush. Everyone here knows that. I just don't want the O-line ignored. We've made some nice FA DL moves. I think we have to pay attention to the O-line, as well.

ScottXray
04-21-2010, 01:33 PM
In a trade down, I wouldn't throw up with either, but would rather have spoon.

Dedhed
04-21-2010, 01:34 PM
We'll see. Ayers was known to be a guy who needed 2-3 years to really develop. So, I'm not sure we can make a judgment on how either will do as a pro at this point.

That said, I'm always a huge fan of improving the pass rush. Everyone here knows that. I just don't want the O-line ignored. We've made some nice FA DL moves. I think we have to pay attention to the O-line, as well.

There is plenty of OL help to be found in rounds 2-3. I love Iupati, but I can completely understand why you wouldn't pass on guys like Spoon and Graham.
both have those Al Wilson/Dawkins attributes and would be great additions to this team.

Requiem
04-21-2010, 02:18 PM

Denver can get creative in their packages and have Dumervil, Ayers and Graham on the field at the same time. Look at the Steelers. They had no problems selecting Timmons or Woodley when they already had players of quality inside and out in their roster. Linebackers are paramount in the 3-4 and I expect Denver to take a guy who can contribute not only this year, but down the road.

I'm not sure what Dumervil's future is with the team, but taking a guy like Graham could be a measure in case of his departure. I have been on record saying I wouldn't mind if Dumervil left, I'll miss his production as a pass-rusher, but who knows how much longer that will continue or if he'll be able to put up constant, successful numbers in that regard when giving so much up in run defense.

Either way, I'm a huge Weatherspoon fan, as well as Graham's. They can contribute to this team immediately, and Weatherspoon is a day one starter on the inside next to Williams if he is taken.

OBF1
04-21-2010, 02:39 PM
Make the bad man go away... this would suck if we get either of these guys in the 1st.

HILife
04-21-2010, 02:40 PM
Who says?

Per Beantown Bronco.

ZachKC
04-21-2010, 02:47 PM
Would be disappointed to see Spoon go to Denver. He is a leader...an absolute gamer. The guy brings it on every play...great nose for the ball...great in pursuit...hard hitter.