PDA

View Full Version : Peter Kings Final Mock Draft--Trade Down to 15

SoDak Bronco
04-21-2010, 09:22 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/04/21/mock.draft/1.html

11.* Giants (from Den.)
Rolando McClain, LB, Alabama

TRADE: G-men desperate to get long-term middle linebacker. Figure they can't wait until 15th pick.

12.^ Philadelphia (from Miami)
Derrick Morgan, DE, Georgia Tech

TRADE: Eagles lost out on two free-agent gems -- Julius Peppers and Aaron Kampman -- and need a defensive end.

13. San Francisco
Joe Haden, CB, Florida

Lucky Niner night, getting the best corner in the draft in the middle of the first round.

14. Seattle
Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame

It doesn't fit after Charlie Whitehurst deal, but 'Hawks think he's a top-5 player in draft.

15.* Denver
Brandon Graham, OLB, Michigan

Broncos would be happy with Kyle Wilson, Dez Bryant or Maurkice Pouncey here.

16. Tennessee
Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida

Titan task: Replenishing the defensive line one pass-rusher at a time, with a Jevon Kearse clone.

17. San Francisco
Mike Iupati, OL, Idaho

I came very close to putting Dez Bryant here. Imagine a Bryant/Michael Crabtree combo. Scary.

18. Pittsburgh
Maurkice Pouncey, C, Florida

The Pouncey fan club is growing. Six mid-first-round teams could take him by early 20s.

19. Atlanta
Earl Thomas, S, Texas

No one thought he'd fall this far. I'm still not sure he will. But Falcons have to pounce.

20. Houston
Kyle Wilson, CB, Fresno State

Texans steal Wilson, a physical force with good closing speed, this low in the round.

21. Cincinnati
Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma

Watch Oklahoma on tape. Gresham's so athletic you'll think you're watching a wideout.

22. New England
Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State

"Coach Belichick? Dez Bryant's babysitter on line two.'' I don't care. I love the pick.

23. Green Bay
Sergio Kindle, OLB, Texas

Bookend for Clay Matthews had 34.5 tackles for loss his last two years at Texas.

24.^ Miami
Ryan Mathews, RB, Fresno State

I know Dolphins love Mathews and would settle for him ... but like others here too.

25. Baltimore
DeMaryius Thomas, WR, Georgia Tech

Anquan Boldin. Donte' Stallworth. Thomas. Talk about rebuilding the weakest point of a playoff team.

26. Arizona
Sean Weatherspoon, OLB, Missouri

Cards begin to rebuild the defense that got laid waste this off-season with pass-rusher.

27. Dallas
Taylor Mays, S, USC

I say they rue the day they don't take tackle of the future, but Dallas likes speedy safety.

28. San Diego
Jared Odrick, DT, Penn State

Ideal draft for Chargers is Dan Williams in first, Stanford RB Toby Gerhart down the line.

29. New York Jets
Jahvid Best, RB, Cal

This pick makes no sense -- unless you think Leon Washington and LaDainian Tomlinson are short-timers.

30. Minnesota
Tim Tebow, QB, Florida

A hunch. Nothing more. Brett Favre lasts another year (two at the outside) while Tebow grows.

31. Indianapolis
Rodger Saffold, T, Indiana

Colts tab an athletic left tackle candidate to fill a position they've been longing to cement for years.

32. New Orleans
Devin McCourty, CB, Rutgers

Watch for pass-rush help too, like TCU defensive end Daryl Washington. But they need CB relief.

* Broncos trade 11th pick to Giants for 15th pick and New York's third-round choice.

^ Dolphins trade 12th pick to Eagles for 24th pick and Philadelphia's first of two second-round picks (37th overall).

cmhargrove
04-21-2010, 09:25 AM
I love the trade down, but would either take Pouncey or Bryant.

Get r dun!

manchambo
04-21-2010, 09:27 AM
Is it just me, or is OLB one of the few positions we don't really need at the moment?

Or would this be an admission that Ayers is a bust? Or an indication that they're going to get rid of Doom?

cmhargrove
04-21-2010, 09:30 AM
Is it just me, or is OLB one of the few positions we don't really need at the moment?

Or would this be an admission that Ayers is a bust? Or an indication that they're going to get rid of Doom?

There are plenty of talented DE conversion picks available in rounds 2-4. First round is a little steep for an OLB (for me).

ColoradoBuff
04-21-2010, 09:30 AM
barf! love the trade down...but if we draft Graham, what does that say about Ayers? moving to DE?

SonOfLe-loLang
04-21-2010, 09:31 AM
Def not a position of need, but i think Graham will be a good player. I dunno, my head officially aches from all the speculating

SonOfLe-loLang
04-21-2010, 09:32 AM
I'll gladly take that Philly trade if Miami doesnt want it.

ColoradoDarin
04-21-2010, 09:34 AM
I'd rather trade down with Philly for what they give up to get to #12.

ScottXray
04-21-2010, 09:35 AM
So Miami , at 12 is able to get Phillys first and a high second, but we would rather only drop 4 spots then PASS on Pouncey and take an OLB? King has things SO right....dumbass!

WolfpackGuy
04-21-2010, 09:36 AM
He's got Bryant at 22?

skunk
04-21-2010, 09:36 AM
if we get a low rounder we can trade it to miami for McCroy or trade back and get Poungy or Stevens

DenverBroncosJM
04-21-2010, 09:45 AM
if we get a low rounder we can trade it to miami for McCroy or trade back and get Poungy or Stevens

Pretty sure everyone you have listed above is not in the draft.....

Im J/K for the soft hearted!

Elway777
04-21-2010, 09:46 AM
I would rather trade down with Eagles for 24 and 36 picks then trade up with 24 pick with our 3 rounder to Houston or Bengals ahead of New England to get Bryant, Pouncey or Graham.

no-pseudo-fan
04-21-2010, 09:48 AM
I would prefer to get the extra 2nd than that third, and draft Weatherspoon. That would be sweet.

orange&blue87
04-21-2010, 09:52 AM
I don't see Pouncey falling past Pittsburgh at 18. If they have to choose between Iupati and Pouncey then perhaps, but it's not looking too good for him to be around if Denver trades down to mid-20s.

BroncoInferno
04-21-2010, 09:55 AM

It doesn't mean anything for Ayers. They can get creative on defense. Even though Doom had a ton of sacks last season, we still weren't a great pass rushing team. You can never have too many guys who can get after the QB. He is also good against the run. I would be more than fine with the pick. They can be creative and use them all.

BroncoInferno
04-21-2010, 09:58 AM
I will be pissed if we took the CB Kyle Wilson, as King suggests we might.

Rohirrim
04-21-2010, 09:59 AM
Doesn't make sense. The Giants trade up for McClain who the Broncos might want and then the Broncos only move down four spots? Why wouldn't Philly trade with the Broncos and ensure that nobody jumps their chance for the best 4/3 DE in the draft? I don't buy it. The trade will be between the Iggles and the Broncos. They've probably already laid it down when they were doing the Sheffler deal. King is just a Giants fan so he sees it going his way.

underrated29
04-21-2010, 10:01 AM
It doesn't mean anything for Ayers. They can get creative on defense. Even though Doom had a ton of sacks last season, we still weren't a great pass rushing team. You can never have too many guys who can get after the QB. He is also good against the run. I would be more than fine with the pick. They can be creative and use them all.

Yes, remember we had doom lining up almost as a DE most of the time. Esp when he got his sacks. He was not in on all downs either if I remember correctly. So we get graham and ayers in there full time, doom comes in like freeney does for colts and we have 3 guys who can get after it. 2 of which can also play the run.

no-pseudo-fan
04-21-2010, 10:02 AM
Doesn't make sense. The Giants trade up for McClain who the Broncos might want and then the Broncos only move down four spots? Why wouldn't Philly trade with the Broncos and ensure that nobody jumps their chance for the best 4/3 DE in the draft? I don't buy it. The trade will be between the Iggles and the Broncos. They've probably already laid it down when they were doing the Sheffler deal. King is just a Giants fan so he sees it going his way.

Like I said, that is the dream. 24, 37, 43, 45. Make it happen McZanders.

Triplelefthook
04-21-2010, 10:02 AM

thank you.

we have a list of needs, and OLB is not on that list. i don't think ILB is a big need either, draft McClain if you think he is a difference maker and the BPA on defense at the time, but its not a glaring need.

if we trade down and don't select a Guard or Center or Dan Williams or hell even Dez Bryant.... i will be very disappointed

BroncoInferno
04-21-2010, 10:06 AM

It makes sense if the Broncos don't want to go all the way down to #24. If they have guys like Graham and Pouncey targeted, those guys probably won't be available that late.

Pseudofool
04-21-2010, 10:08 AM
I like the trade the Dolphins get with Philly than the one we get with the Giants.

BroncoInferno
04-21-2010, 10:08 AM
Yes, remember we had doom lining up almost as a DE most of the time. Esp when he got his sacks. He was not in on all downs either if I remember correctly. So we get graham and ayers in there full time, doom comes in like freeney does for colts and we have 3 guys who can get after it. 2 of which can also play the run.

I believe I remember McDaniels saying last season that Ayers could play inside at DT in nickle situations. Then you have Graham and Doom on the outside. A lot of possibilities.

Rohirrim
04-21-2010, 10:16 AM
It makes sense if the Broncos don't want to go all the way down to #24. If they have guys like Graham and Pouncey targeted, those guys probably won't be available that late.

Which is why the Eagles would pay more, especially if they thought the Giants were jumping them.

Hercules Rockefeller
04-21-2010, 10:22 AM
barf! love the trade down...but if we draft Graham, what does that say about Ayers? moving to DE?

I'd question what it means for Elvis after this season more than Ayers.

bloodsunday
04-21-2010, 11:04 AM
Hmm. How much more can Denver invest in the front defensive front 7? They spent huge money in FA on the DL the last 2 seasons plus a contract for DJ, a pending contract for Dumervill, and selection of Ayers.

I guess it depends on if you draft for need or best available. But it seems like if we draft down it will be to target an area of need and I'd have to think WR and OL are 1 and 1a.

TheReverend
04-21-2010, 11:25 AM
I'm really starting to think we trade down with the Eagles and use that first on Tebow.

Broncoman13
04-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Tebow won't make it that far down. The Steelers are going to draft him.

Paladin
04-21-2010, 11:57 AM

Reality check: This is King's guess about the draft. He will not make a single pick for Denver tomorrow. I guarantee it. It doesn't mean a fricking thing for Doom Ayers or anyone else......

Take your BP medicine and take a nap......

cmhargrove
04-21-2010, 12:00 PM

I think they are going to try Doom at DT again - anyone remember that stroke of brilliance?

UberBroncoMan
04-21-2010, 12:09 PM
I'm still clueless as to why people think we'd take Tebow. It makes no sense. Our best tackle is our LT and we have 3 fairly young QB's on the roster. I like the trade though. Though I'd prefer if we could trade our 1st for Philly and get a 2nd. Then take Pouncey with our 1st and then beef up all the holes with three 2nd rounders.

The Graham pick is retarded though unless we're admitting Ayers was a failure. I think Graham will be a good one myself. I'd only see us taking him if we trade Doom on draft day... you never know right?

Bigdawg26
04-21-2010, 12:26 PM
We have to many positions of need to grab Graham although I do think he's a very good player. But if we drafted him then why the hell did we draft Ayers last year for??

Paladin
04-21-2010, 12:34 PM
I would say screw 'em. Stay at 11 and take McClain. If Giants want him they can give the 1st and the second......

McD/Xanders are good at getting trade "value".......

RocBronc
04-21-2010, 12:48 PM

How do you get Doom, Ayers and Graham on the field for all 3 downs... I don't want somebody just to help us in obvious passing situations, I want someone who can play most downs...

BroncoInferno
04-21-2010, 12:57 PM
How do you get Doom, Ayers and Graham on the field for all 3 downs... I don't want somebody just to help us in obvious passing situations, I want someone who can play most downs...

Honestly, Doom is the weakest of the three in the run department. You could have Graham and Ayers on the field in run situations, then in the nickle you can have Doom and Graham coming from the edges and slide Ayers inside. There are a lot of possibilities. We could find a way to use all three plenty.

orinjkrush
04-21-2010, 02:44 PM
we'll have to put Graham in at center too. Chuck Bednarick II.

Bronco Yoda
04-21-2010, 02:54 PM
I'd love to be able to make this trade down. But who knows if this is really possible. I say we should take Pouncey then for sure.

SpringStein
04-21-2010, 03:20 PM
From 11 to 15 would garner Giants 3rd rounder most likely - #76.

BroncoInferno
04-21-2010, 03:40 PM
we'll have to put Graham in at center too. Chuck Bednarick II.

You can always get quality interior lineman in the 2nd since not many typically go in the 1st. Kevin Mawae is still out there as a one year stop gap if we absolutely need him. But I think McD must be OK with Olsen for the spot or else he surely would have brought in a vet to compete.

Cito Pelon
04-21-2010, 03:51 PM

Good point.

orinjkrush
04-21-2010, 06:26 PM
You can always get quality interior lineman in the 2nd since not many typically go in the 1st. Kevin Mawae is still out there as a one year stop gap if we absolutely need him. But I think McD must be OK with Olsen for the spot or else he surely would have brought in a vet to compete.

i am really hoping you are right. deep cleansing breath.

KipCorrington25
04-21-2010, 06:41 PM
We need a scat back baby!

broncosteven
04-21-2010, 07:02 PM
Honestly, Doom is the weakest of the three in the run department. You could have Graham and Ayers on the field in run situations, then in the nickle you can have Doom and Graham coming from the edges and slide Ayers inside. There are a lot of possibilities. We could find a way to use all three plenty.

I agree, I thought i remember hearing talk at the end of the year of Ayers moving inside.

We need to be physical enough to stop the run, we should have an above avg pass rush if Doom doesn't hold out.

Draft a the front 7 guy in 1st and address the OL in the 2nd round and use the 3rd 2nd for a WR.

If they can trade down and pick up an extra 3rd or 4th we could get some great depth and take a chance on a guy like a BM or Doom or TD in the later rounds.