PDA

View Full Version : Denver looking to trade down, per schefter

Ambiguous
04-21-2010, 08:20 AM
Draft picks 10-12 could see tradesEmail Print Comments 6Share3 retweet 22By Adam Schefter
ESPN
Archive
An offseason filled with trades could continue straight into Thursday night's NFL draft, and picks 10 through 12 might be where the action will happen.

A cluster of teams -- No. 10 Jacksonville, No. 11 Denver and No. 12 Miami -- is interested in moving back in the draft, according to multiple league sources.

Meanwhile, another cluster of teams -- No. 18 Pittsburgh, No. 23 Green Bay and No. 24 Philadelphia -- is interested in moving up in the draft.

Teams will be cautious about trading into Jacksonville's spot at No. 10 because the team that picks might have to negotiate off the complex deal that San Francisco and Michael Crabtree struck last season.

Crabtree, who fell to No. 10 in the 2009 draft and held out through training camp and the opening weeks of the season, signed a contract paying him more than the picks taken ahead of him, setting a tricky precedent for teams at that slot this year.

Denver's spot at No. 11, one spot ahead of Miami, could have more appeal because the Crabtree contract would not be looming over it.

Adam Schefter is an ESPN NFL Insider.

Rohirrim
04-21-2010, 08:22 AM
Denver's spot at No. 11, one spot ahead of Miami, could have more appeal because the Crabtree contract would not be looming over it.

Sweet! That's the stuff I like to hear. Trade down. Get more picks.

tsiguy96
04-21-2010, 08:23 AM
if mcdaniels WANTS to trade down, he will be able to. someone will fall in this draft to our spot and someone else will want him.

no-pseudo-fan
04-21-2010, 08:27 AM
I like the sound of this. Lets getter done.

dbfan21
04-21-2010, 08:29 AM
I am all for this. Get great value for the guy you really need and pick up more selections in the process. :thumbsup:

Rulon Velvet Jones
04-21-2010, 08:44 AM
Philly has a nice stash of picks. Move to their #24, take Pouncey and grab extra bodies on the 2nd and 3rd day.

Dukes
04-21-2010, 08:59 AM
This is exactly what we need to happen

meangene
04-21-2010, 09:03 AM
People around here are going to freak when we trade back and pick Tebow in the late first! ;D

Traveler
04-21-2010, 09:09 AM
People around here are going to freak when we trade back and pick Tebow in the late first! ;D

I won't be. He's fulfilling Bowlen's request for our QBOTF.

Broncoman13
04-21-2010, 09:11 AM
Tomorrow can't get here soon enough. I haven't looked forward to a Thursday like this in a long time!!

meangene
04-21-2010, 09:12 AM
I won't be. He's fulfilling Bowlen's request for our QBOTF.

I won't be either since we will still have three seconds as a result of trading back. But, I promise you, there will be a meltdown of epic proportions! Ha!

no-pseudo-fan
04-21-2010, 09:12 AM

I won't freak out. If we trade down to 24 and get another 2nd, I would be happy. We could do some serious damage with 3 2nd round picks.

The type of talent that will be available in the 2nd round is going to surprise everyone.

no-pseudo-fan
04-21-2010, 09:14 AM
I won't be either since we will still have three seconds as a result of trading back. But, I promise you, there will be a meltdown of epic proportions! Ha!

Tebow would get us some more primetime games and a direct link to God.

Broncoman13
04-21-2010, 09:14 AM

I really don't think he'll fall that far... but if he does I wouldn't be too upset with the pick. It actually makes a ton of sense for both Bowlen and McD. It would bring a huge fan base to the club. Ticket sales would be reinvigorated, jersey sales, not to mention the fact that it buys McD some time to develop his "hand picked QB". I could see it going down...

ND Bronco Fan
04-21-2010, 09:15 AM
I hope this happens too, would love Pouncey and the talent available in the second.

meangene
04-21-2010, 09:16 AM

Add a golden-domer like Tate and we would never lose again.

crush17
04-21-2010, 09:18 AM
Do not want the southpaw!!

meangene
04-21-2010, 09:18 AM
I really don't think he'll fall that far... but if he does I wouldn't be too upset with the pick. It actually makes a ton of sense for both Bowlen and McD. It would bring a huge fan base to the club. Ticket sales would be reinvigorated, jersey sales, not to mention the fact that it buys McD some time to develop his "hand picked QB". I could see it going down...

Oh, I could definitely see it going down. If ever a player embodied what McD wants in terms of intangibles it's Tebow.

bronco militia
04-21-2010, 09:22 AM
mcdaniels already said he was looking to trade down a few days ago

Paladin
04-21-2010, 09:24 AM
I think there are more important needs than Tebow. He would not play for three years. I also don't know how long Pouncey will last. So many have him "picked" that I think the chances of Broncos getting him are jinked inless they take him at 11.......

jhns
04-21-2010, 09:25 AM
So if a bunch of teams around us want to move down, will it drive down the price of moving up to that part of the draft? I am all for moving down. We need a lot of interior line help and there are a lot of good prospects in the late first-third rounds.

crowebomber
04-21-2010, 09:27 AM
mcdaniels already said he was looking to trade down a few days ago

which automatically makes me think it's some sort of smoke screen. McD isn't the kind of guy who would let this info out if it's true. Anything he lets out has some sort of motive behind it.

Pretty much anything you hear this week comes with a very high probability that it is BS put out there to throw off other teams.

yerner
04-21-2010, 09:28 AM
Trading down might have its advantages but this team needs impact, blue chip players. I think they're is a better chance of drafting those type guys in the 11 spot.

Tombstone RJ
04-21-2010, 09:28 AM
When the Broncos lost the coin toss to Jacksonville, they really won the best spot in the first round.

_Oro_
04-21-2010, 09:31 AM
Ahh the double smoke screen. He smoke screened the smoke screen so that means he will take who he said he would.

spdirty
04-21-2010, 09:37 AM
Philly has a nice stash of picks. Move to their #24, take Pouncey and grab extra bodies on the 2nd and 3rd day.

Absolutely. Id love for this to happen.

atomicbloke
04-21-2010, 09:37 AM
Not sure I am a fan of this.

Let's say we are targeting Iupati, Dan Williams and Pouncey in the first round. We feel we could trade back get more value.

So we go to #24 and get an additional second. But then all 3 are picked right before us and we are left crying for mommy.

I feel we should stay put at #11, pick Iupati. And then play with our 2 2 rounders, our extra second rounder next year and even our 1st rounder next year since this is such a strong draft class, while next year's will be weak.

WolfpackGuy
04-21-2010, 09:38 AM
They need more picks, so trade down.

Someone could make a panic move if Clausen is still on the board at 11.

cabronco
04-21-2010, 09:41 AM
Trading down is a great option !

Get R' Done !

Just do it !

Rabb
04-21-2010, 09:42 AM
So is everyone only a fan of trading down if it involves Iupati or Pouncey? That is the feeling I get, buckle up if that's the case because you will probably be disappointed.

I want us to have more picks, but I am not falling into the trap I did last year where I am expecting a certain player.

I also wonder what would happen if the consensus pick (Iupati for example) busts out, would you be happy McD picked him because you wanted him to versus A. Smith for example?

Jussayin

MABroncoFan
04-21-2010, 09:50 AM
If we're not taking McClain or Bryant, as Peter King had tweeted, then the other guys we could be looking at (Pouncey, Weatherspoon, Iupati) could be had later in the 1st. Makes a lot of sense to trade down and add pick(s) if they can find a partner.

no-pseudo-fan
04-21-2010, 09:54 AM
which automatically makes me think it's some sort of smoke screen. McD isn't the kind of guy who would let this info out if it's true. Anything he lets out has some sort of motive behind it.

Pretty much anything you hear this week comes with a very high probability that it is BS put out there to throw off other teams.

Lying is an art form. Every good lie has to have elements of truth in it to be believable.

That being said....I don't know what we are going to do.

TonyR
04-21-2010, 09:59 AM
One potential problem with the Phila scenario many are mentioning is it looks like they also have needs at interior O-line.

Eagles unsure if Jackson will be ready for season
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 21, 2010 11:11 AM ET

The injury to center Jamaal Jackson was one of the reasons Philadelphia's offensive line collapsed so badly against Dallas late last year.

That's why his recovery from ACL surgery is key to the Eagles and why this comment should cause Eagles fans to pause with a tough early season slate on tap:

"We have Nick [Cole]," Eagles general manager Howie Roseman said, "and I anticipate that Jamaal will be ready to go at some point during the season."

There is doubt whether Jackson will be ready for Week One. Stacy Andrews returned for the opener last year, and the team felt like he was rushed back. Jackson's injury is just one reason we wouldn't be surprised to see the Eagles to buck their trend and take an interior lineman fairly early in the draft this week.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/21/eagles-unsure-if-jackson-will-be-ready-for-season/

JCMElway
04-21-2010, 10:07 AM
If we stand pat and take Tebow in the second I won't be too upset.

If we trade up into the first and select him, or select him with a first rounder at all, I will break things.

Many things.

Beantown Bronco
04-21-2010, 10:12 AM
One potential problem with the Phila scenario many are mentioning is it looks like they also have needs at interior O-line.

Eagles unsure if Jackson will be ready for season
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 21, 2010 11:11 AM ET

The injury to center Jamaal Jackson was one of the reasons Philadelphia's offensive line collapsed so badly against Dallas late last year.

That's why his recovery from ACL surgery is key to the Eagles and why this comment should cause Eagles fans to pause with a tough early season slate on tap:

"We have Nick [Cole]," Eagles general manager Howie Roseman said, "and I anticipate that Jamaal will be ready to go at some point during the season."

There is doubt whether Jackson will be ready for Week One. Stacy Andrews returned for the opener last year, and the team felt like he was rushed back. Jackson's injury is just one reason we wouldn't be surprised to see the Eagles to buck their trend and take an interior lineman fairly early in the draft this week.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/21/eagles-unsure-if-jackson-will-be-ready-for-season/

That makes absolutely no sense. Entrenched starter goes down with injury and may not be ready for the first month or so.....so you draft a replacement? Like he's going to step in from day one and be effective...and then you'll just sit him again when the starter comes back?

This is where you pick up an experienced FA after the first or second round of cuts are made in August and plug him in until the starter is ready. You don't all of a sudden change your entire draft board and pick up an interior OLineman with your first rounder.

Broncoman13
04-21-2010, 10:16 AM
You can count on the Steelers to move up to #11 to get their hands on Tim Tebow. Book it! Tebow was invited to the draft which means he is going in the first round. At #18 the Broncos will take Weatherspoon.

Steve Sewell
04-21-2010, 10:19 AM

Orange and blue sunsets AND now Tebow!?!?!? My prayers have been answered. God is on the Broncos side. Pinch me!

Durango
04-21-2010, 10:32 AM
If we're not taking McClain or Bryant, as Peter King had tweeted, then the other guys we could be looking at (Pouncey, Weatherspoon, Iupati) could be had later in the 1st. Makes a lot of sense to trade down and add pick(s) if they can find a partner.

I would be extremely disappointed if Denver passes up the opportunity to draft a game changer like McClain, but if the buzz is right, it's looking more and more likely the Broncos will trade down, playing the Bill Belichick game of collecting draft picks. If we draft Tebow early, it's just an absolute waste of resources in my humble opinion. Why then trade for Quinn and develop Brandstater? Is Orton on the trading block? It would make sense if that were the case, but Orton, Quinn, Brandstater and Tebow? It's like owning 4 Chevy Colbalts; yeah they work, but where's the ooomph?

skunk
04-21-2010, 10:34 AM
id like to see us pick up a 6th and 7th rounder so we could get in a bidding war for someone like Hal McCroy, if not lets trade up for Puncey?

Steve Sewell
04-21-2010, 10:34 AM
I would be extremely disappointed if Denver passes up the opportunity to draft a game changer like McClain

Everything I've seen and read about McClain is that he's not a game changer.

Durango
04-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Everything I've seen and read about McClain is that he's not a game changer.

I have tried with the time I have available to do some reading about the various options available to the Broncos at 11 and I'd like to include a couple of links, but I can't remember exactly where I read that McClain, in and of himself, won't necessarily be a player that makes a defense a lot better, but he IS an ingredient that, when added to the mix of Williams and a bigger, more aggressive defensive line, could potnetially make our defense much, much better. A kind of sum of the parts argument that, looking back, you could make after Al Wilson left the line-up. The defense on the whole slipped badly after Al's departure.

HILife
04-21-2010, 10:51 AM

I like the "direct link to God" plan. Lord knows, we could use the extra help. See what I did there?

chex
04-21-2010, 11:01 AM
Who's the #2 rated C in the draft? Is Pouncey so good that we can't go in another direction in round 1 and pick up a C in the 2nd?

Houshyamama
04-21-2010, 11:34 AM
Who's the #2 rated C in the draft? Is Pouncey so good that we can't go in another direction in round 1 and pick up a C in the 2nd?

I'm pretty sure I've read that this draft is very deep at center.

Rohirrim
04-21-2010, 11:35 AM
There are a few good centers. No need to take one in the first.

Cool Breeze
04-21-2010, 11:45 AM
id like to see us pick up a 6th and 7th rounder so we could get in a bidding war for someone like Hal McCroy, if not lets trade up for Puncey?

You're either the worlds worst speller or a troll.

Archer81
04-21-2010, 11:56 AM
I think there are more important needs than Tebow. He would not play for three years. I also don't know how long Pouncey will last. So many have him "picked" that I think the chances of Broncos getting him are jinked inless they take him at 11.......

The Patriots way...draft players based on future needs...not present ones. It would appear we are fine at QB...but you never know.

:Broncos:

Old Dude
04-21-2010, 11:57 AM
I'm re-thinking my position on all of this (which I do every year and I never have a clue anyway.)

But it seems to me that if a team is sitting there with picks number 11, 43 and 45 ... one of the biggest questions is the relative drop-off from guys projected in the first round to the second tier guys playing the same position.

From what little I've seen and read, there's a log-jam at wide receiver, cornerback and inside linebacker. The analysts I've seen tend to agree that there isn't that much of a drop off at those positions - and to the extent there is, there are some maturity and character issues that come into play.

If it's really true that there is a huge dropoff from Pouncey to second tier guys like Tennant and Watson, then I can understand why Denver would take him him at 11, then address ILB and WR in the second.

It would be a little bit of a reach, but the length of a reach depends on the context.

Cool Breeze
04-21-2010, 12:00 PM
I'm re-thinking my position on all of this (which I do every year and I never have a clue anyway.)

But it seems to me that if a team is sitting there with picks number 11, 43 and 45 ... one of the biggest questions is the relative drop-off from guys projected in the first round to the second tier guys playing the same position.

From what little I've seen and read, there's a log-jam at wide receiver, cornerback and inside linebacker. The analysts I've seen tend to agree that there isn't that much of a drop off at those positions - and to the extent there is, there are some maturity and character issues that come into play.

If it's really true that there is a huge dropoff from Pouncey to second tier guys like Tennant and Watson, then I can understand why Denver would take him him at 11, then address ILB and WR in the second.

It would be a little bit of a reach, but the length of a reach depends on the context.

I concur - great take!

Popps
04-21-2010, 12:07 PM

Ehgggggggzactly.

Way too much panty-knotting around here over a few draft spots. Just get the guy we want/need, and put a quality team together.

People get so up in arms over a few draft slots, yet... if you went back and re-drafted every NFL player 99% of them would probably be drafted in a much different spot than they were. So, you're 100% right. Pouncey a few spots early (if he pans out) is well worth it.

Kaylore
04-21-2010, 12:21 PM
There are a few good centers. No need to take one in the first.

This.