PDA

View Full Version : Why not CJ Spiller?

The Moops
04-21-2010, 03:43 AM
Although I think the Browns will grab Clemson running back CJ Spiller with the 7th pick, if he's available at 11 why shouldn't Denver grab him?

Was anyone blown away by Knowshon Moreno's rookie performance last year? I think Spiller will be a brilliant NFL back. Faster and better than Harvin for the Vikings. He's a game-changer and a play-maker. Running, receiving, returning punts and kickoffs . . . like the Broncos newest (and oldest) Hall of Famer!

I say, grab Spiller and either trade Moreno or keep him a year to see how the 2 split carries . . .

BMarsh615
04-21-2010, 03:53 AM
Maybe if we weren't rebuilding that would be a good idea. Denver still needs a franchise QB, LG, C, #1 WR, SSILB, and a bunch of young guys to provide depth on the DL. Spiller would be a luxury pick for a team who is pretty much set, the Broncos aren't.

TheReverend
04-21-2010, 04:57 AM
Because tying up that much money in the position with the shortest shelf-life (by far) on a team with significant needs to address in many areas is by definition "retarded".

SoDak Bronco
04-21-2010, 05:02 AM
go read the other threads about CJ Spiller , we can't afford (as a team) to invest back to back top 12 picks in RB's. It would not fill a need on a team that has many holes. Wouldn't be a good business decision.

RocBronc
04-21-2010, 05:47 AM
Because tying up that much money in the position with the shortest shelf-life (by far) on a team with significant needs to address in many areas is by definition "retarded".

What he said...

cmhargrove
04-21-2010, 06:48 AM
Although I think the Browns will grab Clemson running back CJ Spiller with the 7th pick, if he's available at 11 why shouldn't Denver grab him?

Was anyone blown away by Knowshon Moreno's rookie performance last year? I think Spiller will be a brilliant NFL back. Faster and better than Harvin for the Vikings. He's a game-changer and a play-maker. Running, receiving, returning punts and kickoffs . . . like the Broncos newest (and oldest) Hall of Famer!

I say, grab Spiller and either trade Moreno or keep him a year to see how the 2 split carries . . .

I don't think the Browns will take Spiller - they just re-upped Cribbs which has much of the same skillset. The Browns brought in Delhomme and Seneca Wallace - neither of those guys is the long term answer so they need a young QB prospect. They also lack a true #1 wideout, so I think they will be tempted by Dez Bryant. There are also some tremendous choices in the defensive secondary that will be hard to pass on. The Browns were near the bottom of the league against the pass.

I love Spiller the player, but honestly, we could use Dez more than we could use Spilller (if you are going that direction with the pick). We have a #1 RB, we need a #1 WR.

DawnBTVS
04-21-2010, 07:00 AM

Was anyone blown away by Knowshon Moreno's rookie performance last year? ... I say, grab Spiller and either trade Moreno or keep him a year to see how the 2 split carries . . .

So... what happens if CJ Spiller doesn't blow anybody away in his rookie year? Would you be rash and "trade Spiller" too?

While Moreno wasn't flashy or anything, he was fairly solid for a rookie running back. He put up 1,160 combined yards rushing and receiving while starting just 9 games.

He had multiple 4 game stretches with solid enough rushing numbers and yeah, he had some tough games.

If the Broncos wanted a "do it all" back, they could wait and draft RB Dexter McCluster who can do everything that CJ Spiller does while costing far less money.

I think Spiller's going to be less Chris Johnson and more Reggie Bush (who's had 3.6, 3.7, and 3.8 YPC in his first 3 seasons as a RB/WR hybrid). And Bush has struggled with injuries and hasn't really put up eye popping numbers as a receiver either.

The biggest difference between CJ Spiller and Chris Johnson is that Johnson isn't afraid to take it inside and can break tackles inside (both in college and obviously at the NFL level). I haven't seen that consistently with Spiller and think Spiller breaks the run outside far too often (very similar to Reggie Bush in that regard).

LonghornBronco
04-21-2010, 07:05 AM
I like Spiller in a Percy Harvin type of roll. I like the prospect of having both him and mareno on the field.

Rohirrim
04-21-2010, 07:23 AM
This is no longer Shanahan's Broncos.

Dagmar
04-21-2010, 07:26 AM
How many bloody threads on this guy!

no-pseudo-fan
04-21-2010, 07:29 AM
I like Best more than Spiller.

Broncofan_H
04-21-2010, 07:33 AM
So many other needs on this team, no thank you.

MVP-06
04-21-2010, 08:07 AM
seriously

Cool Breeze
04-21-2010, 08:18 AM
http://www1.cuny.edu/portal_ur/content/womens_leadership/exhibit/photos/nancy_reagan2.jpg

SonOfLe-loLang
04-21-2010, 08:21 AM
Why would the Browns take Spiller when they plan to hand off to Hillis every single down?

Crushaholic
04-21-2010, 09:38 AM
The offensive line was learning a new scheme, last year. Even then, Moreno was STILL one of the more productive RBs in the NFL. Spiller would not be a good choice...

Play2win
04-21-2010, 10:32 AM
Why not CJ Spiller?

I can't think of a reason.

Play2win
04-21-2010, 10:33 AM
How many bloody threads on this guy!

clearly, not nearly enough.

DBroncos4life
04-21-2010, 12:06 PM
We are not a running team!

Bronco CB40
04-21-2010, 12:13 PM
Denver needs an explosive playmaker in the worst way, but I echo SoDak Bronco's remarks that it would be too much of an investment in a position where players tend to have short 3-to-5 year primes.

The team that drafts Spiller is going to justify the move by using Chris Johnson as an example, but the downside to taking him would be landing the next Darren McFadden.

Bronco CB40
04-21-2010, 12:14 PM
We are not a running team!

The 2008 Patriots were a running team so don't rule it out.

Broncoman13
04-21-2010, 12:16 PM
What makes Spiller better than Javid Best?

iDENVER
04-21-2010, 12:20 PM

i would be fine with either but best is much more injury prone he has had a few concussions already

Play2win
04-21-2010, 12:23 PM

If we didn't have Moreno, Javid would be an excellent choice. With already having Moreno, clearly Spiller is the best choice.

Plus, nobody makes angles insignificant like Spiller. I have seen him out run so many angles on all of his highlight vids.

OBF1
04-21-2010, 12:54 PM
Spiller or Bryant in the 11 will make me projectile vomit at work.

Gcver2ver3
04-21-2010, 01:08 PM
So many other needs on this team, no thank you.

our biggest need is a playmaker on offense...

and thats exactly what spiller is (and ST as a bonus)...

Spiller certainly addresses a need for us...

Beantown Bronco
04-21-2010, 01:21 PM
Spiller or Bryant in the 11 will make me projectile vomit at work.

Look at the bright side: you'd get to leave work early and take Friday off with no questions asked.

cmhargrove
04-21-2010, 01:40 PM
our biggest need is a playmaker on offense...

and thats exactly what spiller is (and ST as a bonus)...

Spiller certainly addresses a need for us...

The O-line makes "playmakers." Strengthen the line first, or your stars will get tackled in the backfield.

Gcver2ver3
04-21-2010, 01:42 PM
The O-line makes "playmakers." Strengthen the line first, or your stars will get tackled in the backfield.

i am not saying to not address the o-line...

but guards and centers can be had in later rounds...get your playmakers in the early rounds...we shouldnt make a habit of passing up playmakers...

Rabb
04-21-2010, 01:48 PM
i am not saying to not address the o-line...

but guards and centers can be had in later rounds...get your playmakers in the early rounds...we shouldnt make a habit of passing up playmakers...

agreed

unless of course the lineman in question is the BPA at our pick, then you take him

24champ
04-21-2010, 02:00 PM
We should have drafted Medenhall a couple years ago. 1,360 yds and 7 TDs in 12 games started last season. Sigh.

http://thisiswheretofindsports.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/rashard-mendenhall-2.jpg

Bronco CB40
04-21-2010, 02:49 PM
We should have drafted Medenhall a couple years ago. 1,360 yds and 7 TDs in 12 games started last season. Sigh.

http://thisiswheretofindsports.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/rashard-mendenhall-2.jpg

Over Clady???

cmhargrove
04-21-2010, 03:05 PM

He got his ass (or knee) knocked the f-out for the remainder of his rookie season after he laughed at Ray Lewis and the Ravens defense. That was some bad mojo to talk like that as a rookie.

24champ
04-21-2010, 06:06 PM
He got his ass (or knee) knocked the f-out for the remainder of his rookie season after he laughed at Ray Lewis and the Ravens defense. That was some bad mojo to talk like that as a rookie.

He hurt his shoulder, knee is fine.

He shredded the Chargers this past season for 165 yards and 2 TDs. He's going to be a top 5 running back in this league. Especially given the Steelers recent woes at QB position.

Anyway, I don't see us selecting Spiller. We need to upgrade other positions of need. If Spiller is at 11, I would then try to move back and net some more picks.