PDA

View Full Version : Steelers acquire Leftwich

crowebomber
04-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Source: Steelers acquire LeftwichEmail Print Comments 44Share33 retweet 62By Adam Schefter
ESPN
Archive
As Ben Roethlisberger awaits word on his probable suspension, the Pittsburgh Steelers have traded for another quarterback who could wind up starting on opening day.

The Steelers acquired their former quarterback Byron Leftwich from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for a seventh-round pick in this week's draft, according to a team source.

Leftwich could well be the Steelers' starter in their regular-season opener. Pittsburgh also has quarterbacks Charlie Batch and Dennis Dixon, but Leftwich knows the offense and organization well. He backed up Roethlisberger in 2008 when the Steelers won a Super Bowl before he left to sign as a free agent with Tampa Bay.

The latest NFL trade also leaves Tampa Bay with 12 picks in this weekend's draft, which ties the New England Patriots for most in the league.

crowebomber
04-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Just anticipating the suspension or are they serious about shopping Ben before the start of the season????

DenverBrit
04-20-2010, 04:02 PM
Just anticipating the suspension or are they serious about shopping Ben before the start of the season????

Probably a bit of both.

Dagmar
04-20-2010, 04:02 PM
It's official, no one reads the Around the NFL thread Southstandjunkie.

oubronco
04-20-2010, 04:05 PM
For a 7th what a deal

crush17
04-20-2010, 04:06 PM

for real. y'all are late to the party!

crowebomber
04-20-2010, 04:07 PM

Yep. Boring title. When in doubt, always start a new thread. If it is posted somewhere else there is always some asshat who will let you know. :~ohyah!:

HEAV
04-20-2010, 04:20 PM
Ben looking a 4 games.

DBroncos4life
04-20-2010, 04:31 PM
For a 7th what a deal

For the Bucs!! Leftwich gives you no chance to win period.

ZONA
04-20-2010, 05:34 PM
For a 7th what a deal
For the Bucs!! Leftwich gives you no chance to win period.

Haha, that's what I was gonna say. He's washed up. They might as well have tried to get Simms, lol.

chrisp
04-21-2010, 02:59 AM
For a 7th what a deal

Haha, that's what I was gonna say. He's washed up. They might as well have tried to get Simms, lol.

does at least still have a spleen I believe.....

Bear in mind Leftwich is a former 1st round draft pick. Essentially a bust, but not a Ryan leaf-level bust, sometimes these guys have just enough talent to bounce around the league a few years before finally doing a respectable job as an experienced vet later on. Could be his time...

Thing is, he's pretty slow and immoble i I recall, and the Steelers have the crappiest pass-protection of any half-decent team in the league so he's going to get hit....a lot....so could also NOT be his time.....

extralife
04-21-2010, 04:10 AM
Batch starts if Ben is suspended.

rastaman
04-21-2010, 04:43 AM
Probably a bit of both.

The Steeler's are dumb for thinking about trading Rothlesburger........but none the less I'd love to see Ben in a Bronco uniform. He's worth 2 second round picks. :strong:

I wanted to see McNab in a Bronco uniform as well in 2010....but hey I can only wish.