PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Golden Tate?

cmhargrove
04-19-2010, 11:13 AM
OK, I didn't watch much Irish football this year so my opinion is based on a few highlights. There are lots of opinions on this guy, but when I see him he reminds me of a Hines Ward type of player. Has a knack for getting open, plays smart, adds intangibles.

Did anyone watch him this year, what do you think about dropping a second rounder on him? (Or are you looking for a big guy like Benn to replace Marshall?)

Elway777
04-19-2010, 11:19 AM
I like him alot and rank him 2 in wide receivers. I think he compares to Steve Smith of Panthers. If the Broncos trade down with the Eagle for 24 and 36 picks would be a good pick with either pick.

elsid13
04-19-2010, 11:32 AM
I don't like him as pro at all. I think he going to struggle to beat the press and will have problems with separation from pro CBs. At best I think he is slot possession receiver, which is not what this team needs.

meangene
04-19-2010, 11:35 AM
I like him alot and rank him 2 in wide receivers. I think he compares to Steve Smith of Panthers. If the Broncos trade down with the Eagle for 24 and 36 picks would be a good pick with either pick.

Agree 100% with the Steve Smith comparison. Tate is one of my favorite players in this draft. Former running back who is explosive after the catch and on returns. Tremendously strong lower body to run through tackles. Plays much bigger than he is due to great leaping ability, tremendous ability to point the ball at it's highest point and incredibly strong hands. Great at getting open when the play breaks down. A little raw as a route runner as he has only been a receiver for three years but improving in this area. Gonna be a steal for someone at the top of the 2nd.

Ziggy
04-19-2010, 12:17 PM
Watch the highlight films of Tate. He almost always catches the ball with his body, and not his hands. I like him, but this could be a problem at the next level.

gyldenlove
04-19-2010, 01:09 PM
I have mixed emotions, but at the end of the day he looks like a quicker than fast WR who is going to be relying a lot on his cuts and double moves to get open and not someone who will consistently be a threat on the outside. He does remind me to some extend of Eddie Royal, but not quite as strong in the upper body.

He could very well become a decent pro, but he doesn't fit our profile for what we need to add, he doesn't have the sideline and deep ball skills and the size to outmuscle defenders on short routes.

Gcver2ver3
04-19-2010, 01:12 PM
golden tate is a playmaker...plain and simple...

i watched him carry the ND offense at times the last couple years...

the ones of you comparing him to steve smith are right on the money...

as a converted RB he excels with the ball in his hands and has deep speed with 4.45 40...

he did it all at ND...caught short passes, beat corners deep, and even ran wildcat...

i'd take him over 10 dez bryants...

Zoobie
04-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Benn>Tate.

Gcver2ver3
04-19-2010, 01:13 PM
He could very well become a decent pro, but he doesn't fit our profile for what we need to add, he doesn't have the sideline and deep ball skills and the size to outmuscle defenders on short routes.

i completely disagree...

he caught plenty deep balls in college and he was able to get separation as well...

OBF1
04-19-2010, 01:55 PM
golden tate is a playmaker...plain and simple...

i watched him carry the ND offense at times the last couple years...

the ones of you comparing him to steve smith are right on the money...

as a converted RB he excels with the ball in his hands and has deep speed with 4.45 40...

he did it all at ND...caught short passes, beat corners deep, and even ran wildcat...

i'd take him over 10 dez bryants...

How in the world can you compare a college player that is not even in the NFL to an all pro, game changing WR with 10 years of experience, 574 receptions over 8300 yards and 50 TD's to his credit... you guys are out of you freekin minds.

Doggcow
04-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Dez, Thomas, Tate with our first 3 picks and noone will miss Marshall! Lol

Gcver2ver3
04-19-2010, 02:04 PM
How in the world can you compare a college player that is not even in the NFL to an all pro, game changing WR with 10 years of experience, 574 receptions over 8300 yards and 50 TD's to his credit... you guys are out of you freekin minds.

thats not what people mean...no one is saying he is steve smith...but they have similar skill sets...

thats very common when grading out prospects...scouts and analyst will compare a pro player to that of the college player to give everyone an idea of what the prospect's skill set is...

scouts have compared tate to steve smith for months now...just comparing how he plays...

meangene
04-19-2010, 03:02 PM

On the contrary, Clausen was told to throw the ball up to him on deep routes even when he was covered precisely because he was able to outleap, and outmuscle defenders. Add that to his explosiveness on screens and short routes and he is exactly what we need.

s0phr0syne
04-19-2010, 04:24 PM
Watch the highlight films of Tate. He almost always catches the ball with his body, and not his hands. I like him, but this could be a problem at the next level.

Glad someone else saw that too! I really like the player, but I've noticed this as well and it's bugged me. He's not going to have as much separation with NFL DBs and a lot those balls he's letting into his body are going to be dislodged by a defender.

Don't know if it's b/c Clausen isn't a good passer or something, but to me it looks like trouble. But man, he does nice things with the ball in his hands. I wouldn't mind him if he's still around at 43/45, but most mocks have him getting drafted quite a bit earlier than that.

meangene
04-19-2010, 04:50 PM
Glad someone else saw that too! I really like the player, but I've noticed this as well and it's bugged me. He's not going to have as much separation with NFL DBs and a lot those balls he's letting into his body are going to be dislodged by a defender.

Don't know if it's b/c Clausen isn't a good passer or something, but to me it looks like trouble. But man, he does nice things with the ball in his hands. I wouldn't mind him if he's still around at 43/45, but most mocks have him getting drafted quite a bit earlier than that.

He is still a little raw as a WR but really improved in this area as this past season went along. He has amazingly strong hands. When he became the focus of the offense when Floyd went down, the improvement was phenomenal.

Dukes
04-19-2010, 08:49 PM
Sorry, not meaning to derail the thread, but I can't help but call him Golden Taint. For that reason, I hope we don't sign him.

SouthStndJunkie
04-19-2010, 09:26 PM
I like Golden Tate a lot.

He reminds me of Hines Ward....you could hit both in the head with a ball bat and they would get up smiling.

Tate also reminds a lot of people of Steve Smith (Panthers).

When he gets the ball in his hands he turns into a RB.

Kaylore
04-19-2010, 10:56 PM
He's not bad. I think he could be solid. High floor, not so high ceiling.

Carmelo15
04-20-2010, 12:52 AM
The Broncos have worked around 10 WRs, Tate is not one of them. I don't know if they have much interest. I see him as a slot, which is what Eddie is. Perhaps McD agrees

Ray Finkle
04-20-2010, 08:32 AM
the guy cannot beat the jam.....it doesn't bode well for him.

meangene
04-20-2010, 08:34 AM
The Broncos have worked around 10 WRs, Tate is not one of them. I don't know if they have much interest. I see him as a slot, which is what Eddie is. Perhaps McD agrees

Or, perhaps, McD got all the info he needed on him as a person from his buddy Weiss?

meangene
04-20-2010, 08:37 AM
the guy cannot beat the jam.....it doesn't bode well for him.

Don't know where you get this. He is extremely physical. He is a little over 5'10" but not small (200 lbs.) and his experience as a running back makes him very tough to jam.

meangene
04-20-2010, 08:53 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d8176a880/Good-as-Gold

Ray Finkle
04-20-2010, 08:59 AM
Don't know where you get this. He is extremely physical. He is a little over 5'10" but not small (200 lbs.) and his experience as a running back makes him very tough to jam.

watch the games....when good teams jammed him at the line, how did he do?

Strength means nothing with the jam....

meangene
04-20-2010, 09:13 AM
watch the games....when good teams jammed him at the line, how did he do?

Strength means nothing with the jam....

I've seen every game he played in college. Teams tried everything to shut him down and could not do it. Jamming him, doubling him, playing off, etc. - nothing worked.

Ray Finkle
04-20-2010, 09:16 AM
I've seen every game he played in college. Teams tried everything to shut him down and could not do it. Jamming him, doubling him, playing off, etc. - nothing worked.

Strengths:
Outstanding athleticism --- Good bulk with a solid frame --- Excellent speed and quickness --- Nice balance and agility --- Strong, reliable hands and intense focus --- Amazing ball skills --- Great leaping ability and body control --- Extremely elusive with terrific vision and is a terror in space --- Will run through and break a lot of tackles --- Great awareness --- Very tough, aggressive and competitive --- Supremely confident --- Is also a fantastic return man and offers a lot of versatility.

Weaknesses:
Is shorter than you would prefer --- Not a polished route runner --- Has some trouble getting off of the line --- Lets the ball get into his chest at times --- Just an average burst and isn't particularly explosive --- Does not get a lot of separation --- An average blocker but gives solid effort.

Gcver2ver3
04-20-2010, 09:39 AM

that is correct...

i watched every game he played too...and i came away with the same conclusion as you...

Drek
04-20-2010, 12:25 PM
Strengths:
Outstanding athleticism --- Good bulk with a solid frame --- Excellent speed and quickness --- Nice balance and agility --- Strong, reliable hands and intense focus --- Amazing ball skills --- Great leaping ability and body control --- Extremely elusive with terrific vision and is a terror in space --- Will run through and break a lot of tackles --- Great awareness --- Very tough, aggressive and competitive --- Supremely confident --- Is also a fantastic return man and offers a lot of versatility.

Weaknesses:
Is shorter than you would prefer --- Not a polished route runner --- Has some trouble getting off of the line --- Lets the ball get into his chest at times --- Just an average burst and isn't particularly explosive --- Does not get a lot of separation --- An average blocker but gives solid effort.
You should source things if you're just going to counter someone's personal observations with something you read on a draft site.

Rohirrim
04-20-2010, 12:57 PM
I've watched a few ND games this last season. Tate's the real deal. I think he will be a Hines Ward type of WR.

Warlord
04-20-2010, 02:30 PM
We need someone on the outside who can go deep, stretching the defense and drawing the attention of the safety (which in turn opens things up for the slot receiver and TE).

I can see Tate working well in that role. The only question would be his ability to get off the line. The ND supporters here seem to think that isn't a problem (despite some scouting reports saying otherwise), which is encouraging. His current limitations as a route runner are a little less critical if he's going deep on a regular basis.

As an aside, I don't believe we worked out anyone from Notre Dame. Perhaps McD has enough contacts with that program that it was deemed unnecessary to bring those guys in for official visits. I wouldn't be at all surprised if one of the Fighting Irish ended up on our roster.

Durango
04-21-2010, 12:11 AM

That was my thought as well. He's one guy I watched a lot in '09 and I like him a bunch, but he looks to me to be an Eddie Royal Part II. If he's there after filling a need or two, why the heck not?

BroncoInferno
04-21-2010, 12:20 AM
One thing about the "jam" comments...the rules instituted in the last several seasons severely limit how much a defender can assault a WR. I think that is why guys like DeSean Jackson are having success lately...I think he would have not been as much of a factor, say, ten years ago. Tate is built like a fire hydrant; I love to have him on the team. He's a playmaker.