PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Denver (search function not working)

Dagmar
04-18-2010, 06:56 PM
I tried searching on two browsers and just a blank page.

I am moving from Boulder to Denver in the next month, hoping to rent a house for a year before we know if we are settling or not. $1000 - $1200 per month range, I know renting is throwing money away but not in a position to buy yet.

What are good areas? Do NOT want to end up in the ghetto.

Job is near the Children's Hospital (wife's, I am looking!)

I know there was a thread recently but the damn search doesn't seem to work.

Thanks for any help.

Oh, I passed my driving test for anyone who was involved in my last advice thread!
:thumbs:

Dagmar
04-18-2010, 08:28 PM
Maybe I'll try again in the morning.

521 1N5
04-18-2010, 08:35 PM
Stay out of Aurora, North Federal Blvd, Commerce City And 5 points. Look around Wash Park, Cherry Creek, and cities to the South such as Highlands Ranch, Lone Tree and SW (Parts of) Littleton and Englewood. Some parts of Arvada are nice too! Good Luck!!

Dagmar
04-19-2010, 12:27 AM
Gonna bump this tonight and once tomorrow. If anyone could link the recent thread, that would be great.

Thanks for the advice 521 1N5 (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/member.php?u=1533).

ak1971
04-19-2010, 08:23 AM
I tried searching on two browsers and just a blank page.

I am moving from Boulder to Denver in the next month, hoping to rent a house for a year before we know if we are settling or not. $1000 - $1200 per month range, I know renting is throwing money away but not in a position to buy yet.

What are good areas? Do NOT want to end up in the ghetto.

Job is near the Children's Hospital (wife's, I am looking!)

I know there was a thread recently but the damn search doesn't seem to work.

Thanks for any help.

Oh, I passed my driving test for anyone who was involved in my last advice thread!
:thumbs:

Stuff around Children's Hospital is pretty rough . Especially to the West of Fitzsimmons. (although it seems like they are trying to clean up Colfax in front of the old Fitz.) The east side is okay, but seems to be going downhill too. If you are considering Aurora, I would stay south of Mississippi.

Children's Hospital is pretty accessible from anywhere with I-225 coming in to Colfax.

Irish Stout
04-19-2010, 08:39 AM
Here's the link to the thread I started:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=90113

Are you looking to avoid the commute from Boulder to Denver? What kind of driving time to work are you looking for?

Rabb
04-19-2010, 08:41 AM
Stay out of Aurora, North Federal Blvd, Commerce City And 5 points. Look around Wash Park, Cherry Creek, and cities to the South such as Highlands Ranch, Lone Tree and SW (Parts of) Littleton and Englewood. Some parts of Arvada are nice too! Good Luck!!

BS

some parts of Aurora are very nice, I have grown up here and live here now and have never had an issue

there are parts that suck for sure, but if you stay southeast you are fine

Dagmar
04-19-2010, 08:50 AM
Here's the link to the thread I started:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=90113

Are you looking to avoid the commute from Boulder to Denver? What kind of driving time to work are you looking for?

Thanks man. Not looking to avoid a commute, Boulder is expensive as hell but we were here while the lady finished her Phd. Now she has a job we want to live in denver, so we can go out, see a show or a game, get nice and drunk and cab it/ light rail it home and what not.

Dagmar
04-19-2010, 11:27 AM
What about near City park? Saw a nice place my price range, nice tree lined street.

http://i40.tinypic.com/eu26c8.png

TailgateNut
04-19-2010, 11:39 AM
What about near City park? Saw a nice place my price range, nice tree lined street.

That area can be hit of miss.

Here's a suggestion. You live in Boulder. Correct?

Get in your car a drive around and look at the areas on weeknights and the weekend. It's give you a better understanding of the neighborhood or HOOD!:~ohyah!:

Cito Pelon
04-19-2010, 11:51 AM

Whoo boy, you better go sit in your car on that street all night long and see what goes on at night before you commit. That was my neighborhood growing up. There's worse neighborhoods no doubt about it, but I seriously recommend you go park there overnight before you commit.

Cito Pelon
04-19-2010, 12:01 PM

Get in your car a drive around and look at the areas on weeknights and the weekend. It's give you a better understanding of the neighborhood or HOOD!:~ohyah!:

TGN didn't go far enough, you've seen my last post - spend the night there.

Actually, it's a good idea to park on any street at night you're thinking about moving to (especially on the weekends) to see how much noise/activity you'll have to deal with.

TailgateNut
04-19-2010, 12:34 PM
Whoo boy, you better go sit in your car on that street all night long and see what goes on at night before you commit. That was my neighborhood growing up. There's worse neighborhoods no doubt about it, but I seriously recommend you go park there overnight before you commit.

Or NOT!;D

broncosteven
04-19-2010, 12:52 PM

Plus it would be kick ass to rent a white van with tinted windows and get some walkie talkies and big assed zoom lenses.

I would buy a sticker that reads "If the van is a rocking, don't come a knocking"

Dagmar
04-19-2010, 12:52 PM
The specific street looks quiet, but I know there are some dodgy areas close by.

I would like to live somewhere not too far out, but not in the ghetto!

Where do you guys live (without getting too personal!)

Dagmar
04-19-2010, 12:56 PM
This is so damned complicated...

broncosteven
04-19-2010, 01:01 PM
This is so damned complicated...

That is why they still make the Magic 8 ball.

Cito Pelon
04-19-2010, 01:01 PM
Or NOT!;D

Up towards Congress Park, that's a good neigborhood. But I knew some nasty bastards that lived there back in the day. I moved on from that long ago. I don't like the sound of sirens and helicopters, I'm a rural kind of guy.

Garcia Bronco
04-19-2010, 01:02 PM

South East Aurora is great
5 Points is still a little slum like, but it's getting better everyday.

Garcia Bronco
04-19-2010, 01:03 PM

This

Dagmar
04-19-2010, 01:10 PM
I plan on doing that, but we are very very pressed for time right now. This job offer came as a surprise, our lease is nearly up and I have been looking for jobs in the wrong place!

Someone needs to publish a Denver map, and color it.

Gold- Good for rich folks
Blue - good for young families
Green - Good for young professionals
Yellow- Good for students
Pink - Good for getting crack and or shot.

seanpgk
04-19-2010, 01:10 PM
I've lived in Capitol Hill for 10+ years, but if I were to move it would be to the Highlands or the LoHi neighborhood (north of Mile High). Great areas and still close to downtown.

TailgateNut
04-19-2010, 01:11 PM
Plus it would be kick ass to rent a white van with tinted windows and get some walkie talkies and big assed zoom lenses.

I would buy a sticker that reads "If the van is a rocking, don't come a knocking"

A sticker which reads "DEA" would work better in that neighborhood.:~ohyah!:

Dagmar
04-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Lakeside/Wheatridge area is nice? Or not?

TailgateNut
04-19-2010, 01:16 PM
The specific street looks quiet, but I know there are some dodgy areas close by.

In the Ghetto.:rofl:

I live in Westminster which has nice areas and areas which are being infested.
Sadly the area I moved to 16yrs ago is slowly going "down-hill" but right now is not a sellers market.

TailgateNut
04-19-2010, 01:17 PM

Toss up!

TailgateNut
04-19-2010, 01:20 PM

It's not as if you were from "out of state". Not to sound harsh, but, GET OFF YOUR DUFF and venture out and about and take a peek!

Directions: Hit the Turnpike, head east, and once you get to wads go further east, or go north or south. ;D

Dagmar
04-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Quit yelling at me! I want to narrow it down before I go driving everywhere!

ak1971
04-19-2010, 01:26 PM
I would tell you where I live, but then I would have to kill you.

TailgateNut
04-19-2010, 01:46 PM

I WASN'T YELLING!!!

One thing most people don't understand is that most areas of Denver metro can't be defined based on city name. You can go to Westminster and be surrounded by $million+ homes and drive 10 block and be in the "dumps". You can go to Wheat Ridge and do the same, the same hold true for Arvada, Denver, Aurora, etc......

....in addition, you haven't given any parameters. Budget($100k-$2million???), Schools( children?), Size (900sf --5000sf), Property needs (Condo, Townhome, single family with no yard, single family with big back yard, ranch????) Night life access (walking distance, driving distance or stumbling distance???:~ohyah!:) Recreation facilities (parks, trails, etc...)????

It's akin to telling a realtor: I need a house!

Dagmar
04-19-2010, 01:54 PM
I WASN'T YELLING!!!

One thing most people don't understand is that most areas of Denver metro can't be defined based on city name. You can go to Westminster and be surrounded by $million+ homes and drive 10 block and be in the "dumps". You can go to Wheat Ridge and do the same, the same hold true for Arvada, Denver, Aurora, etc......

....in addition, you haven't given any parameters. Budget($100k-$2million???), Schools( children?), Size (900sf --5000sf), Property needs (Condo, Townhome, single family with no yard, single family with big back yard, ranch????) Night life access (walking distance, driving distance or stumbling distance???:~ohyah!:) Recreation facilities (parks, trails, etc...)????

It's akin to telling a realtor: I need a house!

Ok, me and the wife, 2 dogs. No kids yet, but very soon. Nightlife distance, not too long a cab ride prefereably. Will be renting for a year. Single family and back yard.

Cito Pelon
04-19-2010, 01:58 PM

I'm not saying where I live now, but it sure isn't where I grew up. I had enough of that long ago.

broncosteven
04-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Ok, me and the wife, 2 dogs. No kids yet, but very soon. Nightlife distance, not too long a cab ride prefereably. Will be renting for a year. Single family and back yard.

Once you have kids the night life goes off the board unless you have an Au Pair.

TailgateNut
04-19-2010, 02:05 PM

Plenty of homes in the Arvada, Westminster, Broomfield area in the 1200-1500 p month range that would fit the bill, but you still need to get out and check out the surrounding areas.

TailgateNut
04-19-2010, 02:16 PM

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.2">
<Placemark>
<name>Federal Blvd &amp; W 116th Ave, Westminster, CO 80234</name>
<open>1</open>
<address>Federal Blvd &amp; W 116th Ave, Westminster, CO 80234</address>
<LookAt>
<longitude>-105.024859</longitude>
<latitude>39.907718</latitude>
<altitude>0</altitude>
<range>1000</range>
<tilt>0</tilt>
<heading>0</heading>
</LookAt>
<styleUrl>http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Federal+Blvd+%26+W+116th+Ave,+Westminster,+ Adams,+Colorado+80234&amp;sll=38.9594,-95.2655&amp;sspn=116.396,360&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;v=2.2&amp;cv=4.3.7204 .0836&amp;hl=en&amp;oi=georefine&amp;ct=clnk&amp;cd=1&amp;geocode=FYbx YAIdpXK9-Q&amp;split=0&amp;output=kml&amp;ge_fileext=.kml#default+nicon =http://maps.google.com/mapfiles/kml/pal3/icon60.png+hicon=http://maps.google.com/mapfiles/kml/pal3/icon52.png</styleUrl>
<Point>
<coordinates>-105.024859,39.907718,0</coordinates>
</Point>
</Placemark>
</kml>

How long has it been since you've on "north Federal".

I guess you're talking Federal Blvd in Denver? This is North Federal in Westminster!

ak1971
04-19-2010, 02:24 PM
Once you have kids the night life goes off the board unless you have an Au Pair.

then you can just hook up the the Au Pair and still not go out.

Cito Pelon
04-19-2010, 02:33 PM

Narrow it down to reasonable commutes, and do some detailed IN PERSONAL research, i.e. spending some time in the neighborhood. Walk around, spend some time there, especially at night and on weekends. Observe and ask yourself some questions. You have to consider quality of life, it's the most important consideration.

Bronco_Beerslug
04-19-2010, 03:38 PM
Stay out of Aurora, North Federal Blvd, Commerce City And 5 points. Look around Wash Park, Cherry Creek, and cities to the South such as Highlands Ranch, Lone Tree and SW (Parts of) Littleton and Englewood. Some parts of Arvada are nice too! Good Luck!!Why would he want to do that? There are nice newer areas in all 3 of those cities. You do know Federal runs all the way to 120th, Commerce City runs all the way out to Barr Lake and Aurora has both nice older and newer neighborhoods?

Boobs McGee
04-19-2010, 04:01 PM
Dag, I live in centennial currently. Right near C-470 and university. Just south, you have highlands ranch, to the north, littleton/cherry hills (where you can stalk broncos HA), greenwood village to the east, and littleton englewood to the west. It's a great community area. LOTS of townhomes/apartments/houses in your price range. Bunch of great parks, trails, shopping...being close to a major artery really helps. I can get downtown in less than a half hour, or to a mall (for your wife's shopping) in about ten minutes. Great schools, lots of fun stuff to do. Children's is about 20 minutes depending on traffic (obviously a LOT longer during rush hour).

Some areas I've lived that I'd recommend for you.

The DTC. You'd be extremely close to 225, and there are a bunch of deals to be had over there.

Capitol hill. Great older houses for rent, but do some searching first. Try not to get too far east down colfax.

Stapleton. haven't LIVED there, but have friends that do. LOTS of young couples over there, great homes, tons of activities.

hope that helps

Other places I'd recommend

enjolras
04-19-2010, 04:02 PM

Man... my taste is housing is apparently dead opposite of yours:)

Give me center city Denver. The Highlands (where I live), Alamo Placita, Uptown, City Park West, Capitol Hill (and a host of others). Denver's center city is far too nice (and relatively affordable) to plant yourself out in exurb hell like Highlands Ranch.

521 1N5
04-19-2010, 04:52 PM
Saudi Aurora? Puke. Commerce City? Puke. Federal Blvd. in Denver? Puke Puke Puke.

All I'm sayin is try to stay out of these 3 areas. Trust me.

Rother8
04-19-2010, 07:13 PM
Oh come on! You're leaving the stoners and their sushi on Pearl St.?? But why?

Seriously though, can't go wrong w/ Denver or Boulder imo but wouldn't Denver be even more expensive?

Dagmar
04-19-2010, 07:53 PM
Oh come on! You're leaving the stoners and their sushi on Pearl St.?? But why?

Seriously though, can't go wrong w/ Denver or Boulder imo but wouldn't Denver be even more expensive?

Absolutely not. Boulder is ridiculous!

Brewer
04-19-2010, 10:40 PM
Another vote for Centennial. If you look toward the east side of Centennial it's a lot newer, quiter, and you can avoid a lot of traffic headed to the Fitz campus. We're 12 miles away and it takes my wife 23 minutes from the driveway to the parking garage. I don't know if you'll find anything for $1200 per month as a single family house, but there are tons of townhouses and condos and apartments in that price range.

Dagmar
04-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Thanks everyone for their advice so far, I will rep you all I promise!

Dagmar
05-14-2010, 09:53 AM
Thank you everyone so much for your help, we found a place, going to get the keys today! A block from Cherry Creek next to Lowry. Good times!

Next to a big church. I may burn...

Cito Pelon
05-14-2010, 12:09 PM
Thank you everyone so much for your help, we found a place, going to get the keys today! A block from Cherry Creek next to Lowry. Good times!

Next to a big church. I may burn...

Congrats. I hope that church has bells to wake you up Sunday mornings. To get you up and active for your Bronco worship. Pagans like bells, don't they?

Dukes
05-14-2010, 12:17 PM
South Aurora between Smokey Hill and Broncos Pkwy on Parker is a great area. Now, north Aurora near 6th and Chambers is a whole other story.

Dagmar
05-14-2010, 12:21 PM
South Aurora between Smokey Hill and Broncos Pkwy on Parker is a great area. Now, north Aurora near 6th and Chambers is a whole other story.

Oh we aren't anywhere near there. The other side of Lowry AFB.

Oh, the church bells don't bother me, I bounce out of bed every Sunday ready for football!

Dukes
05-14-2010, 12:23 PM
Oh we aren't anywhere near there. The other side of Lowry AFB.

Oh, the church bells don't bother me, I bounce out of bed every Sunday ready for football!

Yeah I saw your post just after I submitted mine. Oh well, the point still stands.

Dagmar
05-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Yeah I saw your post just after I submitted mine. Oh well, the point still stands.

It's ok, the more you post the more I get to look at your avy. :wiggle:

crush17
05-14-2010, 12:37 PM
curtis park, city park, park hill, north park hill, capitol hill, congress park.

look in those neighborhoods. put them in the search funtion on Craigslist. It will help.

good luck!

Dagmar
05-14-2010, 12:45 PM
curtis park, city park, park hill, north park hill, capitol hill, congress park.

look in those neighborhoods. put them in the search funtion on Craigslist. It will help.

good luck!

Closest one to us. Very happy with it. Heading there in a couple of hours.

MAJOR thanks to everyone for taking the time to post something and help!

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Dukes
05-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Hope it works out well for you dude.