PDA

View Full Version : Would you trade our 2011 1st rounder for a 2010 early 2nd rounder?

BroncoInferno
04-18-2010, 03:25 PM
I know it was unpopular in the last draft (I wasn't crazy about it either, though I do like Smith and think he will become a good player), but next years draft looks like it will be a bit weak. We could arguably get a better player in the early 2nd this season and for a cheaper deal, plus we have the extra 2nd from Miami. Would you do it? Poll forthcoming...

EDIT: Let me clarify the two choices: if you say yes, you are basically saying, "yes, there is a realistic chance of a player being available in the early 2nd who I think would be worth that price." No means, "no, there is no realistic scenario I foresee that would be worth a 2011 1st rounder."

Broncosfreak_56
04-18-2010, 03:27 PM
Hell no. I don't want to be a pessimist, but I foresee a rough 2010 year.

Elway's Pigeon Toes
04-18-2010, 03:29 PM
If Pouncey or Iupati is still available when they finish the 1st round for the night then absolutely. That's the only scenario I could see being worth it though. It's gotta be someone that we would actually want to take in the first round this year that slips.

TheDave
Hell to the no...

http://www.ecorazzi.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/whitney-2.jpg

Killericon
Depends who's on the board.

BroncoInferno
04-18-2010, 03:31 PM
For me, it depends on the player. For example, I might do it for Toby Gerhart. He is a true wrecking machine. I really think a backfield of Gerhart and Moreno could potentially wreck teams for several years. But I don't think he will make it to #43. We could trade up, obviously, but I'd rather keep all our picks this year because I don't think next seasons draft is going to be a great one.

gyldenlove
04-18-2010, 03:33 PM
No, there is no reason to do that.

BroncoInferno
04-18-2010, 03:33 PM
Hell to the no...

I know it's easy to dismiss off-hand, but next seasons draft really does look poor. I think a better player may well be available in the early second versus where we pick next year, and for a fraction of the cost. It also helps that we have that extra 2nd in our pocket. I'm not saying I would definitely do it, but there are some players who would make me consider it.

Endy
04-18-2010, 03:34 PM

This. First, you can't judge a draft a year out when half of the guys come out of nowhere in their junior/senior year. Second, anybody who would agree to trade a pick 4 days before the draft without even knowing who is on the board deserves another Alphonso Smith.

The Joker
04-18-2010, 03:36 PM
Nah.

Who knows what next years draft crop will end up being like? Plenty of players who aren't being thought of as great prospects right now will have stellar years and become really good prospects for next year's draft. Odds are the class won't be as good as next years, but I still want to have a first to play with.

I could see us using one of our seconds next year as part of a trade up this season though. The two picks we got for Brandon could well be an intriguing package if there's a player we really like there late in the 1st.

BroncoInferno
04-18-2010, 03:38 PM
This. First, you can't judge a draft a year out when half of the guys come out of nowhere in their junior/senior year. Second, anybody who would agree to trade a pick 4 days before the draft without even knowing who is on the board deserves another Alphonso Smith.

Please note I did not mean we should do it now. I assumed it would be obvious that I meant if a player we liked was available at the time of the theoretical pick. If you vote yes, you are basically saying, "yes, there is a realistic chance of a player being available in the early 2nd who I think would be worth that."

Oh, and anyone writing Smith off after one season doesn't watch much football. Countless players have become quality starters and even Pro Bowl peroformers after an unproductive rookie campaign. Some need a year or two to develop.

Endy
04-18-2010, 03:41 PM
Please note I did not mean we should do it now. I assumed it would be obvious that I meant if a player we liked was available at the time of the theoretical pick. If you vote yes, you are basically saying, "yes, there is a realistic chance of a player being available in the early 2nd who I think would be worth that."

Oh, and anyone writing Smith off after one season doesn't watch much football. Countless players have become quality starters and even Pro Bowl peroformers after an unproductive rookie campaign. Some need a year or two to develop.

You should be more specific with your polling language! 8')

Alphonso Smith was the only example I had. Chill out.

BroncoInferno
04-18-2010, 03:44 PM
You should be more specific with your polling language! 8')

I edited the OP to make it more clear, sorry for the confusion :)

Alphonso Smith was the only example I had. Chill out.

Yeah, sorry, I am just getting sick of folks bashing the 2009 draft as if it is a foregone conclusion that it was bad. Anyone who follows football closely knows you cannot reasonably access a draft after one season.

Endy
04-18-2010, 03:47 PM
I edited the OP to make it more clear, sorry for the confusion :)

Yeah, sorry, I am just getting sick of folks bashing the 2009 draft as if it is a foregone conclusion that it was bad. Anyone who follows football closely knows you cannot reasonably access a draft after one season.

Which is why I invested heavily in Jarvis Moss jerseys back in 2007. '09 was decent in my opinion because of Moreno and the unexpected contributions from the later round guys. Can't hit on everybody.

Kaylore
04-18-2010, 03:49 PM

I suppose, but even then id say no. No player is worth it, especially with no other first round pick.

Arkie
04-18-2010, 03:54 PM
Yes, because the 2010 draft is supposed to be one of the stronger drafts. It's hard to squeeze all the 1st round talent into 32 picks. 2011 is supposed to be weaker. 2010 is also stronger than 2009, which is why it wasn't a good idea to trade this year's 1st for Alphonso.

eddie mac
04-18-2010, 03:57 PM
No, but if I was flush right now I'd bet McD will trade Miami's or our 2nd rounder in 2011 for a pick this year if someone he likes is still there, early 3rd rd.

BroncoInferno
04-18-2010, 03:59 PM
I suppose, but even then id say no. No player is worth it, especially with no other first round pick.

"No player is worth it"? Really? Suppose it's a guy the staff is convinced is a 10 year starter. Let's say someone like Pouncey falls to #37, for instance. The staff believe he starts for a decade and makes multiple pro bowls. No dice, even then?

That One Guy
04-18-2010, 04:06 PM
I would think picks next year would have significantly less value this year as while there will be a draft, there may not be football.

Arkie
04-18-2010, 04:08 PM
We may not have football in 2011, and the world will end in 2012, so we might as well trade all our future picks for a boatload of picks in 2010.

BroncoInferno
04-18-2010, 04:10 PM
We may not have football in 2011, and the world will end in 2012, so we might as well trade all our future picks for a boatload of picks in 2010.

LOL I agree. I think most teams will operate under the assumption that a new CBA will be worked out. Teams have already been accepting 2011 picks as part of trades.

UberBroncoMan
04-18-2010, 04:38 PM

This is the best point of view in the thread thus far.

BroncoInferno
04-18-2010, 05:39 PM
So far it is about 2/3 against trading a 2011 1st. I definitely understand that sentiment. Still, I think there are a handful of guys worth the move, given that next seasons draft looks weaker. That said, it would depend on the player we selected. Some guys that could be available that I wouldn't mind the move for are: Gerhart, Pouncey (may go in the 1st, but never know with centers), Tate, Benn, Ricky Sapp. Those are just a few off the top of my head. Again, I totally understand those who disagree.

Broncochica
04-18-2010, 06:11 PM
It would depend on who has slipped that far.

BroncoInferno
04-18-2010, 06:13 PM
It would depend on who has slipped that far.

Let me clarify the two choices: if you say yes, you are basically saying, "yes, there is a realistic chance of a player being available in the early 2nd who I think would be worth that price." No means, "no, there is no realistic scenario I foresee that would be worth a 2011 1st rounder."

So, is it a realistic possibilty that a guy you like will be there in the early 2nd? If so, would you swap next years 1st for him? If so, vote yes. If not, vote no.

SoDak Bronco
04-18-2010, 06:21 PM
That wouldn't be wise, lets say we don't have a decent year at all,we could lose a shot at locker or some other top prospect.. NO NO NO we have enough picks in the top 45, that would be just silly.

Archer81
04-18-2010, 06:26 PM
Hell to the no...

Crack is WHACK!

:Broncos:

FireFly
04-18-2010, 06:33 PM
depends who's on the board. if someone with a definite 1st round grade drops for some unexplainable reason then maybe just maybe

baja
04-18-2010, 06:36 PM

This.

Keep in mind we should win 10 games this year maybe more so the difference may be as few as 5 or 6 picks

BroncoInferno
04-18-2010, 06:47 PM
This.

Keep in mind we should win 10 games this year maybe more so the difference may be as few as 5 or 6 picks

OK, then vote yes. Please look at my edit to the OP. That's what I'm looking for: is there any likely scenario where you would be OK with us trading a 2011 1st for an early 2nd this year. Obviously, I don't expect you to vote yes in the event that it's for a guy you don't like.

Mr.Meanie
04-18-2010, 06:50 PM
If Weatherspoon or Pouncey fell out of the first round, how could you not at least consider it?

baja
04-18-2010, 06:50 PM
OK, then vote yes. Please look at my edit to the OP. That's what I'm looking for: is there any likely scenario where you would be OK with us trading a 2011 1st for an early 2nd this year. Obviously, I don't expect you to vote yes in the event that it's for a guy you don't like.

What is this poll thing you speak of?

(I voted)

BroncoInferno
04-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Draft day bump. I have a feeling we will trade a future pick again. Maybe not the 1st, but perhaps one of the 2nds.

baja
04-22-2010, 10:24 AM
Better than even money Josh trades some pick from 2011 for a pick this year. Probably the 2nd from the fish.

montrose
04-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Depends on who is there. God the meltdown on the Mane would be worth it.

BroncoInferno
04-22-2010, 10:37 AM
Depends on who is there. God the meltdown on the Mane would be worth it.

Yeah, there a number a guys who may be of better value than who is the what looks to be lean draft.

crazyhorse
04-22-2010, 10:42 AM
If it meant picking McCoy maybe. He would have a years development by next season. But if the right guy fell, then yeah I could see trading the pick.

Rohirrim
04-22-2010, 10:46 AM
I'm all for it.