PDA

View Full Version : jets tried to sign marshall to offer sheet, charlie whitehurst cost seattle a shot

tsiguy96
04-18-2010, 05:23 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncosheadlines/ci_14907098?source=rss&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=twitter

tsiguy96
04-18-2010, 05:24 AM
good job seattle, you trade for a backup QB and that cost you youre shot at a big time WR.

FADERPROOF
04-18-2010, 07:00 AM
...yawn...

no-pseudo-fan
04-18-2010, 07:09 AM
I knew Denver would never would take SD's old pick. McD has pride, and obviously doens't like SD.

_Oro_
04-18-2010, 07:28 AM
At the AFC coaches' breakfast March 23, Dolphins coach Tony Sparano said he didn't think Marshall would be a good fit for his team.

Nice little smokescreen.

That One Guy
04-18-2010, 07:38 AM
So essentially the difference between the 29 from the Jets and the 43 from Seattle is another 2nd next year.

With all the trade down fans, I think this is reasonable.

Blueflame
04-18-2010, 08:54 AM
So essentially the difference between the 29 from the Jets and the 43 from Seattle is another 2nd next year.

With all the trade down fans, I think this is reasonable.

Well.... the 29 is almost a second-rounder anyway....

meangene
04-18-2010, 08:55 AM
I'd rather have the two seconds. Not that much difference in talent at the two spots this year and who knows how early the Fins' second could be next year. They are in the same division as NE and the NYJ. I like the philosophy of stockpiling premium picks.

Hercules Rockefeller
04-18-2010, 09:32 AM
Man this board would absolutely implode if Pete Carroll was the HC, and this is his 3rd HC stint in the league.

Signing Mike Williams and Reggie Williams
Trading Daryl Tapp
Swapping a 2nd and a future 3rd for Charlie Whitehurst, a QB who has never thrown a pass when you're in a spot to actually draft one like Clausen this year
Going hard after Brandon Marshall, apparently always knowing you wouldn't sign him to an offer sheet and then by virtue of the Whitehurst trade, take you completely out of contention when the asking price comes down

The Joker
Yeah I'm much happier with two 2nds than having just a late 1st this year.

Just need to hit on the picks, obviously.

Drek
I'd rather have the two seconds. Not that much difference in talent at the two spots this year and who knows how early the Fins' second could be next year. They are in the same division as NE and the NYJ. I like the philosophy of stockpiling premium picks.

Only things I would've liked better than the two seconds we got would've been either two of Tampa's seconds in this draft (obviously) or #14 assuming we could trade it or #11 back to get another 2nd.

tsiguy96
04-18-2010, 09:33 AM
Man this board would absolutely implode if Pete Carroll was the HC, and this is his 3rd HC stint in the league.

Signing Mike Williams and Reggie Williams
Trading Daryl Tapp
Swapping a 2nd and a future 3rd for Charlie Whitehurst, a QB who has never thrown a pass when you're in a spot to actually draft one like Clausen this year
Going hard after Brandon Marshall, apparently always knowing you wouldn't sign him to an offer sheet and then by virtue of the Whitehurst trade, take you completely out of contention when the asking price comes down

seattle is going to be very bad this year. he needs to forget about his USC players and realize there are better players from other teams.

Hercules Rockefeller
04-18-2010, 09:35 AM
seattle is going to be very bad this year. he needs to forget about his USC players and realize there are better players from other teams.

Do you think Seahawk fans complain about the "Trojan Way" constantly on their MBs?

meangene
04-18-2010, 09:56 AM
Only things I would've liked better than the two seconds we got would've been either two of Tampa's seconds in this draft (obviously) or #14 assuming we could trade it or #11 back to get another 2nd.

I think we are in a great spot to trade back at #11 (McClain, Bryant, Thomas could all be on the board) - not so sure #14 would be so coveted with two or more of those guys off the board. Depending on how far back we are willing to go I think we are looking at another 2nd or 3rd. Plus, whatever we get for Schef - I get a feeling we are going to pull off a 4th. Gotta say McDaniels and Xanders get good value when they unload guys compared to what some other teams are getting. I think the perception is McDaniels is a stubborn little bastard who won't take less than what he considers fair value.

Popps
04-18-2010, 10:10 AM
Do you think Seahawk fans complain about the "Trojan Way" constantly on their MBs?

Hilarious!

Kaylore
04-18-2010, 10:27 AM
Well.... the 29 is almost a second-rounder anyway....

That's the thing. It was a low first and I think even SoCal would prefer multiple second round picks over one low first.

baja
04-18-2010, 10:30 AM
That's the thing. It was a low first and I think even SoCal would prefer multiple second round picks over one low first.

What do you mean "even SoCal" if there were only one person on this board that would like that it would be him. ;D

Kaylore
04-18-2010, 10:43 AM
What do you mean "even SoCal" if there were only one person on this board that would like that it would be him. ;D

I guess that's true. Even if we got a first he would be insisting we trade it back for more picks.

TheReverend
04-18-2010, 10:57 AM

My only reservation is next year's pick... I hope we try and parlay that into a pick this year, as the cupboard is going to be pretty damn bare next season. I'd rather have a late third this year than a 2nd next.

broncswin
04-18-2010, 11:03 AM
My only reservation is next year's pick... I hope we try and parlay that into a pick this year, as the cupboard is going to be pretty damn bare next season. I'd rather have a late third this year than a 2nd next.

I agree with this rev...very good stock in this draft...you never know what next year's suprises might bring in the draft, but this years draft has a ton of talent. good call:thumbsup:

Soul-Bronco
04-18-2010, 11:08 AM
take next years 2nd with something else to move into the 2nd round this draft, can you imagine 3 picks in the 2nd round!

WolfpackGuy
04-18-2010, 11:23 AM
Gotta say McDaniels and Xanders get good value when they unload guys compared to what some other teams are getting. I think the perception is McDaniels is a stubborn little bastard who won't take less than what he considers fair value.

Agreed, but I think the main issue is once they've gotten that value, they haven't done much with it.

UberBroncoMan
04-18-2010, 11:46 AM
Very glad the Jets didn't happen. Rather have the two 2nd rounders over the 29th pick in the 1st round.

meangene
04-18-2010, 11:56 AM
Agreed, but I think the main issue is once they've gotten that value, they haven't done much with it.

I think it's too early to say that. Really, we have only used one of the two firsts we got for Cutler (Ayers) and I think he is going to be a player. Remember the system McD comes from does not typically rush rookies onto the field in their first year. Patience, my man. Let's see what #11 nets us this year and the two seconds we got for Marshall.

cutthemdown
04-18-2010, 12:21 PM
Nice little smokescreen.

Except that he was right. Problem with marshall in Miami is going to be the way Henne likes to throw ball. He seems to have sort of a slow release and windup IMO. Marshall likes to get to a spot, turn, have QB hit him quick, then make defender miss. Marshall IMO stinks on timing routes where he has to catch the ball with any part of body turned away from the QB. He's still a good WR no matter what position he is in but he's average when it comes to playing with his back to the qb. He stinks on things over the shoulder. he can't do the things like Fitz and Andre Johnson do, hes not even close to as good as them.

I think Marshall will play decent, have some big stats, but I don't think Fish win.

gunns
04-18-2010, 12:52 PM
Nice little smokescreen.

Maybe not a smokescreen. Maybe that's the way Sparano felt, but it's Parcell that picks them up. Hmmm, wonder if there might be coach-player problem there.

Kaylore
04-18-2010, 01:10 PM
Maybe not a smokescreen. Maybe that's the way Sparano felt, but it's Parcell that picks them up. Hmmm, wonder if there might be coach-player problem there.

Wouldn't be the first time.

BroncoInferno
04-18-2010, 03:21 PM

You know, I was thinking about this earlier. I know trading the future 1st for Smith last season was unpopular, but how would you feel about doing that in this draft? As you say, the cupboard looks a bit bare next season, so we could conceivably get a better player for a cheaper deal.

EDIT: I started a poll/thread posing this question.

broncocalijohn
04-18-2010, 11:12 PM

How would you know? THere are so many players that bloosom or were injured and are coming out next year and right now have no projection on even being considered in the draft or top 3. Wait until after this season's college games and see all of these "No Names" make a name for themselves and be top 60 draft picks.

DBroncos4life
04-18-2010, 11:27 PM
How would you know? THere are so many players that bloosom or were injured and are coming out next year and right now have no projection on even being considered in the draft or top 3. Wait until after this season's college games and see all of these "No Names" make a name for themselves and be top 60 draft picks.

If there is a rookie cap juniors more will stay in school which will hurt the class.