PDA

View Full Version : When are we allowed to expect McDaniels to have this team 'Super Bowl' competetitive?

spdirty
04-17-2010, 11:58 PM
???

Mogulseeker
04-18-2010, 12:12 AM
Possibly this year.

NFLBRONCO
04-18-2010, 12:31 AM
I'd like it to be 2010 but, without QB position locked up 2012 is when I think we'll have a shot.

Drafting is key if we do well maybe 2011

listopencil
04-18-2010, 01:25 AM
Last year.

Broncojef
04-18-2010, 01:27 AM
2012...Its what the Mayans saw as the start of the great dynasty.

Taco John
04-18-2010, 01:27 AM
Last year.

I was expecting a playoff birth last year. I expect a playoff win this year. I expect a Superbowl win next year.

I don't think that as a fan this is too much to ask. That's three years.

Taco John
04-18-2010, 01:30 AM
Mike Tomlin inherited an 8-8 team, and was in the playoffs his first season, and won a Superbowl his second.

Taco John
04-18-2010, 01:32 AM
Tony Dungy inherited a 6-10 team and went to the playoffs every year of his tenure with no fewer than 10 wins in a season throughout.

Taco John
04-18-2010, 01:33 AM
Bill Belichick inherited an 8-8 team and won a Superbowl in his second season.

Taco John
04-18-2010, 01:35 AM
Tom Coughlin -- well, actually, Tom Coughlin sucks, but he has a Superbowl trophy somehow despite how bad he sucks. But I think it has more to do with God hating Tiki Barber than anything, so scratch that one...

uplink
04-18-2010, 01:37 AM
Superbowl? Superbowl? Were just trying to win a game wearing something other than the mustard jerseys.

Taco John
04-18-2010, 01:37 AM
John Gruden inherited a 4-12 Joe Bugel team, and within 3 years they were 12-4 with their first division win in a decade.

BMarsh615
04-18-2010, 01:39 AM

Bad example. The Cheatriots should never be given respect.

Broncosfreak_56
04-18-2010, 02:01 AM
2011. I think 2 years is enough time to build your team for a super bowl run, if you do good.

Popps
04-18-2010, 02:10 AM
Thread solve:

Those in favor of the change: Willing to be overly patient.

Those angry we made the change: Will make demands they didn't make of prior admin.

Close it up.

Archer81
04-18-2010, 02:23 AM
Mike Tomlin inherited an 8-8 team, and was in the playoffs his first season, and won a Superbowl his second.

The steelers were in a superbowl in 2005. The pats went 5-11 belicheks first year. Dungy built a defense in tb, but did not get a title until he got a manning...in indi.

:Broncos:

Taco John
04-18-2010, 02:27 AM
I don't think there are going to be many Broncos fans overly patient at all. Fans were more patient with Shanahan because he won two Superbowls, and managed to get fans to buy into his program year to year - yourself included. Josh will need to get people to fully buy into his program in order to get that sort of "overly-patient" thing you're talking about. I mean, seriously... Who among us aren't expecting a playoff run this year, and a DEEP playoff run next year. People might use different calculus to get to this, but by and large, whether people agreed with the move or disagreed with it, Broncos fans expect results.

bronco610
04-18-2010, 02:52 AM
2011 isn't going to happen knocking everything back a year to 2013. Just my opinion of course. :clown:

NYBronco
04-18-2010, 04:18 AM
Without Cutler, Marshall, Scheffler, Hillis, Shanahan and Coyer the Broncos will never see another SB.

UberBroncoMan
04-18-2010, 07:11 AM
I'd say 2011, assuming there's a 2011 season. Three years time should be more than enough with the last draft and this one coming up. It's not like he inherited a 4-12 team.

rmsanger
04-18-2010, 08:07 AM
He's got 3 full seasons to build a competitive team.. So that means at least AFC championship appearance by 2012 or else...

Rohirrim
04-18-2010, 08:13 AM
Well, since McD doesn't have Elway, I guess I'll give him ten years to get this team to the SB, same as the previous coach...

wait a minute...

GreatBronco16
04-18-2010, 08:25 AM
without cutler, marshall, scheffler, hillis, shanahan and coyer the broncos will never see another sb.

lol

baja
04-18-2010, 08:32 AM
I was expecting a playoff birth last year. I expect a playoff win this year. I expect a Superbowl win next year.

<b> I don't think that as a fan this is too much to ask. That's three years.

So you will be disappointed if we do not win a SB in Josh's third season.

You are a realistic fellow. :wiggle:

baja
04-18-2010, 08:38 AM
Sure glad this poll is secret wouldn't want anyone to know my real thoughts about when I think we might win a SB

Kaylore
04-18-2010, 08:48 AM
I don't think it's unrealistic to expect a playoff run this year and more next year. I think Josh would be the first to tell you that himself. I can tell you this, too. If we're 8-8 again next year there will be some heat in Dove Valley. If we're not very competitive by 2011 then we need to look at other options. I think Bowlen and McDaniels both agree on this.

ScottXray
04-18-2010, 09:10 AM
I think the "plan" was to get there by 2011, but I think 2012 is
more realistic, for super bowl aspirations.

If we don't make the playoffs / win the division by 2011 then we are not
on target.

worm
04-18-2010, 09:18 AM
With the amount of high draft picks that Josh has\will have to work with..I don't think 2011 is too much to ask for to have a SB contender.

Playoffs this year will be a great litmus test.

Ziggy
04-18-2010, 09:25 AM

It was also a team that won the Super Bowl 2 years prior to him getting there, had a great defense in place, and was and established playoff contender. Nice try though.

outdoor_miner
04-18-2010, 09:37 AM

This is exactly how I feel.

theAPAOps5
04-18-2010, 09:40 AM
2011 is a lock to be locked out so 2012. I mean shanny had 10+ years to get the team back to SB level and never did so Josh has a little time don't you think?

DenverBrit
04-18-2010, 09:46 AM
Probably about the same time it took Shanny after he lost his HOF QB, McPoopyPants lost his only last year.

Let's see Denver make the playoffs first!

Gob
04-18-2010, 09:54 AM
Hey, with the kind of dominating team mentality we are building, who can stop us? Now that the final pieces are in place with all the team wreckers gone, we can't be stopped. Anyone who steps on the field will be overcome by our sideline support for each other.

Durango
04-18-2010, 09:57 AM
If McDaniels gets lucky like his mentor Bill Belichick (Tom Brady kind of luck), we might see a nice series of play-off runs, but I don't think he's a good enough coach right now to get this team to a Super Bowl.

Belichick was headed for another failed coaching run like his tenure in Cleveland before he lucked into Tom Brady. Maybe McDaniels can catch a star. He'll need it.

TheDave
04-18-2010, 10:03 AM
Depend on which posters you are talking about...

The Dreks of the world will always give you 10+ paragraphs explaining why McDaniels is on the right path... No matter what.

Jhns, BF7, et al., will always tell you how it's mckidds fault... expectations, no expectations... it's McD's fault. Global Warming... McKidd. Kenedy assasination... McKidd. You get the point.

Popps and his types actually have no idea what is going on... but they do know that trading for A. Smith was just a case of "swapping a few draft slots". Oddly enough the same twisted logic could explain thew rams trading the #1 pick for Mr. Irrelevant.

For folks like Montrose, expecting a SuperBowl win was OK last year... until they realized Orton was nothing like tom brady. Now I'm not sure what they expect.

BroncoBuff is still wondering what happened to Simms...

Baja... Doesn't really care. He bought gold in 1999.

For guys like Kaylore, now is the time... as long as Brady Quinn and his notre dame/hand on another mans crotch/gayness isn't playing QB.

For me... hell I don't know. All I keep seeing is more talent leaving that staying. First thing I would like to do is reverse that trend. After that, I'm just hoping we avoid another historic collapse, like the last 2 years.

The Joker
04-18-2010, 10:30 AM
To "expect a Superbowl win" in 2011 is absolutely laughable.

Honestly, I do wonder if sometimes people forget that there 31 other teams out there who are all doing the same thing we are, namely trying to get better every year in the hopes that one day they can win a Superbowl.

You'd think that winning a Superbowl was easy, just follow some sort of magical '3 Year Plan' and you'll be lifting that Lombardi in no time. You just install all your systems in year one, then make some improvements and get into the playoffs in year two, and then all you have to do is make some more improvements in year three and wahey, you'll obviously win a Superbowl!!

What I expect from McDaniels is for him to build a team that consistently makes the playoffs from year to year, and more importantly looks like a team that is capable of beating anyone they may come across once they get there.

But once you actually make your way into the postseason then you're going to be going against teams that are capable of beating good opponents, and to win 3 or 4 games in a row when you're playing against the best teams the NFL has to offer that year is really, really tough to do.

So much can happen to stop you. You can have an off-day. You can run into an opponent that plays inspired football. You can be flat out unlucky. Your kicker can **** the bed and miss 3 Field Goals and cost you the game. And so many other things.

It's why Manning only has one ring to his name despite having spent the last 10 years leading a powerhouse. It's why Andy Reid has never won the Superbowl with Philly despite them being a legit contender more times in the last decade than not. And why so many all-time great players have retired without ever having won the big one.

What it basically boils down to is that winning a Superbowl is really, really ****ing difficult.

But what you have to do as a Head Coach is consistently put your team in a position where they have a chance to go all the way once they get to January.

That's what I expect from McDaniels, and quite honestly I expect it starting in 2010. If he can't make us that kind of team in 2010, then he really, really needs to do it in 2011.

If not, we need to find someone else who can.

Lolad
04-18-2010, 12:01 PM
Hey, with the kind of dominating team mentality we are building, who can stop us? Now that the final pieces are in place with all the team wreckers gone, we can't be stopped. Anyone who steps on the field will be overcome by our sideline support for each other.

This made me chuckle.

I'm in the boat of progress. Which means more wins than last year. We were 2nd place in the division, which means we should win the division this year. Which in turn means we need to make the playoffs.

Orton has a year in the system. The entire offense has a year in the system. If we regress this year offensively it will be a dissapointment. Every Statistical category should be improve, same with the defense.

cutthemdown
04-18-2010, 01:23 PM
Allowed? Whenever you want man!!! It's a free ****ing world.

cutthemdown
04-18-2010, 01:24 PM
By the way you can do really well and never make a Superbowl. Look at some of the respected coaches who never made it.

Tombstone RJ
04-18-2010, 01:27 PM
He's got 3 full seasons to build a competitive team.. So that means at least AFC championship appearance by 2012 or else...

this

SoCalBronco
04-18-2010, 01:41 PM

The Dreks of the world will always give you 10+ paragraphs explaining why McDaniels is on the right path... No matter what.

Jhns, BF7, et al., will always tell you how it's mckidds fault... expectations, no expectations... it's McD's fault. Global Warming... McKidd. Kenedy assasination... McKidd. You get the point.

Popps and his types actually have no idea what is going on... but they do know that trading for A. Smith was just a case of "swapping a few draft slots". Oddly enough the same twisted logic could explain thew rams trading the #1 pick for Mr. Irrelevant.

For folks like Montrose, expecting a SuperBowl win was OK last year... until they realized Orton was nothing like tom brady. Now I'm not sure what they expect.

For guys like Kaylore, now is the time... as long as Brady Quinn and his notre dame/hand on another mans crotch/gayness isn't playing QB.

For me... hell I don't know. All I keep seeing is more talent leaving that staying. First thing I would like to do is reverse that trend. After that, I'm just hoping we avoid another historic collapse.

...................and that's why Dave is a beast.

Excellent work. :thumbsup:

Popps
04-18-2010, 03:06 PM
Popps and his types actually have no idea what is going on... but they do know that trading for A. Smith was just a case of "swapping a few draft slots".

Look, you've made a living around here sticking your foot in your mouth. God forbid we try something different in the draft, I mean... we've had such raging success in the draft over the last ten years, right? So many GREAT first round picks, huh?

Again, it's simply taking a risk that a player you need can start work right away, as opposed to waiting another year.

If you were broke and couldn't make your house payment, would you turn down $500K now, for the chance to possibly make $750K next year?

Our defense was flat-broke. We took a calculated risk that involved giving up draft picks.

You have no proof that the pick has been a failure or a success. None of us do, or will for at least a year.

So, like so many of "your type," you are basing your entire argument on your speculation, rather than factual information.

In your mind, it's apparently O.K. to deem the entire franchise a failure without any proof, and yet... Broncos fans are not allowed to appreciate or be optimistic.

You'd better figure out why you feel like you're free to act like an old lady, and yet other fans aren't allowed to be encouraged. We don't have a complete picture, either way. So, go ahead... enlighten us why you're allowed to make definitive judgments without a complete picture?

Oddly enough the same twisted logic could explain thew rams trading the #1 pick for Mr. Irrelevant.

You know that most diets encourage people to splurge once a week and have a donut, piece of pizza or something they enjoy? It's a calculated move that involves risk, but is ultimately designed to hedge future risk.

Now, those same diets wouldn't encourage you to eat 4 boxes of donuts. (As your Mr. Irrelevant "analogy" entails.)

But, I'm sure you're not that stupid. You probably just misspoke.

TheDave
04-18-2010, 03:42 PM
You take yourself WAY too serious popps... Relax.

TheReverend
04-18-2010, 03:42 PM

For me... hell I don't know. All I keep seeing is more talent leaving that staying. First thing I would like to do is reverse that trend. After that, I'm just hoping we avoid another historic collapse, like the last 2 years.

Where's that post of decade thread?

Baba Booey
04-18-2010, 03:50 PM
If he nails this draft, 2011.

chadta
04-18-2010, 04:15 PM
am i the only one honest enough to admit i Expect a championship every year.

i know its not going to happen, but at this point every team is 0-0 and we all have the same chance at it.

BroncoBuff
04-18-2010, 04:35 PM

Once you look past the troubling the man-love references, that is a very good post.

The bolded part is what troubles me the most by far ... and that's my response to the poll, a non-vote. Teams just don't win Super Bowls without LOTS of talent ... we had 6 Hall-of-Fame caliber players on offense alone when we beat Green Bay. Plus McCaffrey, plus Tony Jones, plus HOward Griffith. Think about that for a second .... you really gotta be loaded up to have a realistic chance.

Nothing wrong with stockpiling draft picks per se, but offing existing young talent to do so merely pushes your window way, WAY out ... beyond the scope of poll answer choices.

Two other problems: 1) Draft is far more of a crapshoot than it appears in this optimistic Sunday before, and 2) Like it or not, the jury is way way out on whether our picks are being used very well. Somebody just pointed out how we traded up - twice - in the lean lean draft of '09. Can't bring Jim Goodman back, but we should hire somebody with more draft experience, and calm down and be responsible in the war room.

Kaylore
04-18-2010, 04:45 PM

What a bunch of crap. If Brady Quinn won us a super bowl, id put my hand on his groin all day.

hambone13
04-18-2010, 05:09 PM
Where's that post of decade thread?

X 2 This is a great post...

Dendave
04-18-2010, 05:15 PM
I expect to go undefeated and go to the Super Bowl evey year, is it realistic? probably not, but that is what I expect

rastaman
04-18-2010, 05:28 PM
2011 is a lock to be locked out so 2012. I mean shanny had 10+ years to get the team back to SB level and never did so Josh has a little time don't you think?

I think its a little premature to be talking SB with McD as the HC. The reality is there is no record of McD's approach to winning ever becoming a success on the NFL level. And Belichiks assistant coaches have yet to prove they win as HC's on the NFL level nor the College level.

Mike Tomlin was successful because he inherited a Turn-Key team backed by competent ownership and proven GM/FO.

Josh's situation is different because he's managed to alienate and trade away both his star QB and WR in two consecutive years.......and analyst around the NFL believe McD has caused his own self-inflicted wounds and is already behind the power curve.

Of course McD can prove his doubters-peers and the NFL Color Analyst around the league wrong if he proves he can be successful with his unproven coaching methods.

I think its safe to say the 2010 season will be another season of McD finding his players and further implementing his philosophy and blue print and winning in his image.

Time will tell.

Ray Finkle
04-18-2010, 05:37 PM
What a bunch of crap. If Brady Quinn won us a super bowl, id put my hand on his groin all day.

I find this hard to believe....I doubt the wife and Kuper would allow this!

Popps
04-18-2010, 06:02 PM
You take yourself WAY too serious popps... Relax.

You mentioned me by name, it was just a response. I don't see how it was all that serious... or any more so than your post.

By the way, your "post of the centry" was just a longer version of what I already posted earlier in the thread...

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2809663&postcount=15

So, chill bro! :wave:

TotallyScrewed
04-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Thread solve:

Those angry we made the change: Will make demands they didn't make of prior admin.

Close it up.

Similar to those afraid to put down a number or monitor winning versus losing.

Winning isn't everything. It's the only thing.

Taco John
04-18-2010, 08:40 PM

:spit:

oubronco
04-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Without Cutler, Marshall, Scheffler, Hillis, Shanahan and Coyer the Broncos will never see another SB.

Thats the way to hang in there LOL

BroncoInferno
04-18-2010, 08:51 PM
Tony Dungy inherited a 6-10 team and went to the playoffs every year of his tenure with no fewer than 10 wins in a season throughout.

OK, but he didn't win a SB his third year, you know. You realize it ain't easy to win a SB? Don't you think perennial SB contender is a pretty good standard

BroncoInferno
04-18-2010, 08:52 PM
For the record, I expect a playoff berth this season. If we don't get that, I will be with the naysayers. I'm just willing to give him more than a season to overturn the entire program.

BroncoInferno
04-18-2010, 08:53 PM

Well, yeah, he inherited a 8-8 team but went 5-11 his first season.

BroncoInferno
04-18-2010, 08:58 PM
I don't think there are going to be many Broncos fans overly patient at all. Fans were more patient with Shanahan because he won two Superbowls, and managed to get fans to buy into his program year to year - yourself included. Josh will need to get people to fully buy into his program in order to get that sort of "overly-patient" thing you're talking about. I mean, seriously... Who among us aren't expecting a playoff run this year, and a DEEP playoff run next year. People might use different calculus to get to this, but by and large, whether people agreed with the move or disagreed with it, Broncos fans expect results.

I can live with that. I want results this year. I am more muted than DEEP playoff run though. That is a hard standard. Say we lose 17-14 in the 1st round? I mean, teams are so close to even these days with the salary cap. A win and a loss in the playoffs is an exremely tight standard.

Taco John
04-18-2010, 09:02 PM
OK, but he didn't win a SB his third year, you know. You realize it ain't easy to win a SB? Don't you think perennial SB contender is a pretty good standard

Of course I know it isn't easy to win a Superbowl. Who said anything about easy? Just that I, like any other Broncos fan, expect the team to be Superbowl competitive within three years of any program start.

Taco John
04-18-2010, 09:02 PM
I can live with that. I want results this year. I am more muted than DEEP playoff run though. That is a hard standard. Say we lose 17-14 in the 1st round? I mean, teams are so close to even these days with the salary cap. A win and a loss in the playoffs is an exremely tight standard.

Looks like you understand what I'm talking about.

BroncoInferno
04-18-2010, 09:28 PM
Looks like you understand what I'm talking about.

If that is what you mean, yeah. That ain't what you said.

baja
04-18-2010, 10:02 PM

Win the SB in three years has magically became SB ready in three years

Popps
04-18-2010, 10:05 PM
Similar to those afraid to put down a number or monitor winning versus losing..

[ ] Makes sense

Dedhed
04-18-2010, 10:09 PM

He inherited a team that went 8-8 during a SB hangover year, not a team with one playoff victory in a decade.

FireFly
04-18-2010, 10:14 PM
I just want to do better than 8-8 every year. I'm happy with a team that's in the play offs every year (starting this year).

Super bowl I can wait a long time for that. Super Bowl competitive, 2012

BroncoInferno
04-18-2010, 10:20 PM
Of course I know it isn't easy to win a Superbowl. Who said anything about easy? Just that I, like any other Broncos fan, expect the team to be Superbowl competitive within three years of any program start.

Look, I love Shanny for what he did for the franchise. But bottom line is he left a team with the most pitiful defensive talant and coaching I have ever seen, and he had no intent of changing the coaching staff. He's failed for YEARS to improve the talent. What more could be done? McD is changing the culture and that takes time. It takes time to improve a defense as bad as ours and McD did a phenomenal job for one year in. He made a good step this season by actually addressing the DL which Shanny refused to do with any seriousness. Shanny's strategy was to sign also-rans like Lett and McGlockton who he hoped to drain a quality year out of. Didn't really work.

SoCalBronco
04-18-2010, 10:58 PM

Don't tell Chris Kuper. ;D

Steve Sewell
04-18-2010, 11:03 PM
Some of you guys have really unrealistic expectations. I chose 2011 because I think we'll be very competitive in that year, and if that's the case a SB is possible. However, I've been around long enough to watch inexplicably bad **** happen even in the best of years.

Let's not kid ourselves though...the teams that are competitive year in and year out are the ones with a superstar at the QB position. We have not had that player since Elway (and please don't start with Cutler). That hasn't stopped some of our fans from being bat**** crazy with their expectations since his retirement. Unless Josh finds (or develops...this is the key) that superstar, it would be delusional to think that high level success is sustainable. I do believe that McD has the potential to be a SB caliber head coach, though.

BroncoBuff
04-18-2010, 11:44 PM
I don't think there are going to be many Broncos fans overly patient at all ... Broncos fans expect results.

There's a factor here, in the "how soon will we contend" and "how long does Josh have" issues, that I'm not sure is appreciated here: Every time we trade a contributing player for draft picks, Josh's window gets pushed further and further out. Trading these offensive starters has left us with an unprecedented number of first and second rounders, I can't remember ever having this many first and second round picks. So the argument, if needed, will be, "he had to clean out the bad seeds, it's only fair to give these draft picks time to develop." And to be honest, it only makes sense to do so. Maybe Josh deserves some/lots of the blame for these departures, but by 2011 that'll be ancient history.

So unless the locker room revolts, or Josh melts down, my thinking is he has until late 2011 before there's any heat at all, and probably will at least start 2012 regardless what happens.

broncocalijohn
04-18-2010, 11:47 PM

true. Because they would be playing FOREVER and without them, we are doomed. I will just go out and say that without Elway, ROmo and TD, we will never see another SB. So easy. I wonder how the COwboys did it without Staubach, Ed Jones and Tony Dorsett once they retired or left to other teams.

rastaman
04-19-2010, 05:01 AM
There's a factor here, in the "how soon will we contend" and "how long does Josh have" issues, that I'm not sure is appreciated here: Every time we trade a contributing player for draft picks, Josh's window gets pushed further and further out. Trading these offensive starters has left us with an unprecedented number of first and second rounders, I can't remember ever having this many first and second round picks. So the argument, if needed, will be, "he had to clean out the bad seeds, it's only fair to give these draft picks time to develop." And to be honest, it only makes sense to do so. Maybe Josh deserves some/lots of the blame for these departures, but by 2011 that'll be ancient history.

So unless the locker room revolts, or Josh melts down, my thinking is he has until late 2011 before there's any heat at all, and probably will at least start 2012 regardless what happens.

Actually Josh is Sly like a Fox! He knows by dismantling the house that Shanny built while drafting players with 1st and 2nd round picks, Bowlen is going to give him a guaranteed 3 or 4 years to allow all that young unproven yet highly potential pay out draftee's a chance to come into their own.

Meanwhile McD just needs to turn win 7 to 9 games over the next two or three years. Josh can ill-afford 4 to 6 wins a season while he's trying to build his dynasty----b/c that will get him fired in two years.

However, by 2013 McD had better have the Broncos ready to go on a tear of 12-15 win seasons and within reach of the SB, or Bowlen will have to look else where.

So sit back and endure and enjoy Bronco Fans.....we live in interesting times.

elsid13
04-19-2010, 05:27 AM
With the age on this team, it is designed to win now. So Denver better have deep run this year. After next season, we will see another overhaul of the team with either young inexperienced talent from the draft stepping in or new free agents.

Atwater His Ass
04-19-2010, 05:48 AM
Once you look past the troubling the man-love references, that is a very good post.

The bolded part is what troubles me the most by far ... and that's my response to the poll, a non-vote. Teams just don't win Super Bowls without LOTS of talent ... we had 6 Hall-of-Fame caliber players on offense alone when we beat Green Bay. Plus McCaffrey, plus Tony Jones, plus HOward Griffith. Think about that for a second .... you really gotta be loaded up to have a realistic chance.

Nothing wrong with stockpiling draft picks per se, but offing existing young talent to do so merely pushes your window way, WAY out ... beyond the scope of poll answer choices.

Two other problems: 1) Draft is far more of a crapshoot than it appears in this optimistic Sunday before, and 2) Like it or not, the jury is way way out on whether our picks are being used very well. Somebody just pointed out how we traded up - twice - in the lean lean draft of '09. Can't bring Jim Goodman back, but we should hire somebody with more draft experience, and calm down and be responsible in the war room.

No ****.

The fact that McD is trading talent for a crapshoot that based on last year he hasn't shown he even knows how to use those picks is what drives me crazy.

The divide about McD will continue to grow until he proves he can win doing it his way. God help the man if he puts up another 2-8 finish while losing to KC and OAK to piss away the playoffs.

spdirty
04-19-2010, 06:55 AM

Honestly, I do wonder if sometimes people forget that there 31 other teams out there who are all doing the same thing we are, namely trying to get better every year in the hopes that one day they can win a Superbowl.

You'd think that winning a Superbowl was easy, just follow some sort of magical '3 Year Plan' and you'll be lifting that Lombardi in no time. You just install all your systems in year one, then make some improvements and get into the playoffs in year two, and then all you have to do is make some more improvements in year three and wahey, you'll obviously win a Superbowl!!

What I expect from McDaniels is for him to build a team that consistently makes the playoffs from year to year, and more importantly looks like a team that is capable of beating anyone they may come across once they get there.

But once you actually make your way into the postseason then you're going to be going against teams that are capable of beating good opponents, and to win 3 or 4 games in a row when you're playing against the best teams the NFL has to offer that year is really, really tough to do.

So much can happen to stop you. You can have an off-day. You can run into an opponent that plays inspired football. You can be flat out unlucky. Your kicker can **** the bed and miss 3 Field Goals and cost you the game. And so many other things.

It's why Manning only has one ring to his name despite having spent the last 10 years leading a powerhouse. It's why Andy Reid has never won the Superbowl with Philly despite them being a legit contender more times in the last decade than not. And why so many all-time great players have retired without ever having won the big one.

What it basically boils down to is that winning a Superbowl is really, really ****ing difficult.

But what you have to do as a Head Coach is consistently put your team in a position where they have a chance to go all the way once they get to January.

That's what I expect from McDaniels, and quite honestly I expect it starting in 2010. If he can't make us that kind of team in 2010, then he really, really needs to do it in 2011.

Which is why I said when are we allowed to expect him to have this team "Super Bowl Competitive." I dont expect a coach to bring the team Super Bowl glory every year, or in any partivula year, but my expectation is for McDaniels to get this team at least to 10-6 this year, I would expect a playoff win, and in 2011 I expect us to improve on that.

DrFate
04-19-2010, 07:00 AM
When do I expect McDaniels' to have the team to that point?

Where are 'hell freezes' and 'pigs fly' in the poll options?

TotallyScrewed
04-19-2010, 07:10 AM
"If he puts up another 2-8 finish while losing to KC and OAK to piss away the playoffs".

This is what brings a sour taste and pushes forward his window. They had that all elusive playoff appearance in the bag last year by week 10 and pissed it away. And in the AFC west no less, Sandy Diego was reeling, and the rest sucked badly.

My assumption is that the "total collapse" was an aberration therefore we would have made the playoffs if the "team" were more solidly in place. Now, that has happened and Josh has a boatload of high draft picks and a year to get his **** together. I expect playoffs in 2010.

Sure anything can happen that would derail a perfectly good plan but Josh has got to do a better job.

baja
04-19-2010, 08:56 AM
With the age on this team, it is designed to win now. So Denver better have deep run this year. After next season, we will see another overhaul of the team with either young inexperienced talent from the draft stepping in or new free agents.

How many good drafts do you think it takes to create a young talented nucleus.

elsid13
04-19-2010, 09:07 AM
How many good drafts do you think it takes to create a young talented nucleus.

3 to 4. Ideal you want your stars in the 25 to 29 range when you are making a run to championship. So by next year we should see the guys from last draft and starting.

bronco militia
04-19-2010, 09:08 AM

Cito Pelon
04-19-2010, 09:34 AM

I like this post, same thing I've been saying for years.

My attitude is to start the season with the first goal being win the Div Title, the second goal win the AFC Title, the 3rd goal win the Lombardi.

If you consistently accomplish the first a lot, the second once every four years, the third once a decade, your team is actually doing very well.

I'll be very happy to see more AFC West title banners and AFC Title banners flying at Mile High, that's nothing to cry about. If the team loses in the SB, I won't cry about that either, or proclaim "I'd rather not get to the SB if we're gonna lose." That's just crazy talk, IMO.

I used to hear all this nonsense from fans of franchises that had never even won a Conference Title game, "The Broncos can't win the Super Bowl." I'd throw it right back in their face, "Your team can't even GET to the Super Bowl, so STFU."

So I agree it's fine with me to kick butt consistently on 31 of 32 teams, and if the Broncs can clear that final hurdle once a decade it's icing on the cake.

montrose
04-19-2010, 09:40 AM
Now baby!

listopencil
04-19-2010, 12:25 PM

The way they were playing in the first half of last year...they had a shot at beating anybody. Then our O-Line fell apart. Then our D-Line got worn down.

Look- we don't need Marshall to win a Superbowl. Or Cutler, or Sheff or any of the players that some people still mourn the loss of. What we need is an entire team that plays with their hearts and their brains. We had that. I'm waiting to see if we have it this year.

Steve Sewell
04-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Can you imagine what this board would be like in 1996, year 2 of Mike Shanahan's tenure, after going 8-8 his first year and then losing to a 2nd year expansion team at home in the playoffs? (with John Elway as QB no less!)

broncocalijohn
04-19-2010, 01:44 PM
I was on the internets on a broncos page (then turned to some golf traveling website) the year after the Jags loss. I think the fans stood by the players and coach. We arent the Chargers "super" fans you know.

rastaman
04-19-2010, 04:07 PM
The way they were playing in the first half of last year...they had a shot at beating anybody. Then our O-Line fell apart. Then our D-Line got worn down.

Look- we don't need Marshall to win a Superbowl. Or Cutler, or Sheff or any of the players that some people still mourn the loss of. What we need is an entire team that plays with their hearts and their brains. We had that. I'm waiting to see if we have it this year.

Question I have since the topic was when will McD have Denver in the SB, who was the last team that made it to the SB with who played mainly with heart and brains....but were practically devoid of of great talent at key positions?

Right now the Broncos don't have a QB starting or insight that can lead them to the SB much less the playoffs in the 2010 season. Here are the list of NFL Teams who made the playoffshttp://www.orangemane.com/BB/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2810953 and eventually appear in the SB.

San Diego Chargers (13-3)
Dallas Cowboys (11-5)
Green Bay Packers (11-5)
Indianapolis Colts (14-2)
New Orleans Saints (13-3)
New England Patriots (10-6)
Philadelphia Eagles (11-5)
Minnesota Vikings (12-4)
Arizona Cardinals (10-6)
Baltimore Ravens (9-7)
New York Jets (9-7)
Cincinnati Bengals (10-6)

Out of the 12 teams that made the playoff's in 2009, which of those teams had a QB that remind you of Kyle Orton?

Unless Orton can do a 360 and prove he can lead this team to wins in December........we fans are in for some uncertain times.

Hopefully McD concentrates on the OL in the 2010 draft and uses his first two or three picks all on offensive linemen. Josh needs to get the right OL men to run his power rushing scheme and provide the necessary protections for his bubble screen--dink and dunk passing attack; as well as providing max protection for Orton over the in the 2010 and 2011 season.

And hopefully the OL will be ready to roll by McD's fourth and final contract year. All the pieces should be in place.

bowtown
04-19-2010, 04:09 PM
Unless Orton can do a 360 and prove he can lead this team to wins in December........we fans are in for some uncertain times.

Good lord you are an idiot.

The Joker
04-19-2010, 04:13 PM
Which is why I said when are we allowed to expect him to have this team "Super Bowl Competitive." I dont expect a coach to bring the team Super Bowl glory every year, or in any partivula year, but my expectation is for McDaniels to get this team at least to 10-6 this year, I would expect a playoff win, and in 2011 I expect us to improve on that.

It wasn't aimed at you, more of a response to Taco's post and those that agreed with it.

Expect is just a very strong word IMO. I'd hope that we'd win a playoff game, and maybe go all the way and win a Superbowl. What I "expect" is a team that can play good ball in January and be a tough out for anyone they come across.

Steve Sewell
04-19-2010, 04:18 PM
I was on the internets on a broncos page (then turned to some golf traveling website) the year after the Jags loss. I think the fans stood by the players and coach. We arent the Chargers "super" fans you know.

I meant how would the OMane of today react to the situation?

Steve Sewell
04-19-2010, 04:20 PM

ROFL...Yeah, rastaman is not the brightest.

Popps
04-19-2010, 04:45 PM

:rofl:

Sometimes it's just easier to go with the simplest explanation.

rastaman
04-19-2010, 04:46 PM

Good lord you are an idiot as well......you know the jury is out whether Orton will play well in Nov and Dec to get the Broncos into the playoffs in 2010. Why you can't admit it.....proves overwhelmingly what an idiot you are.

Prove you're not an idiot HOMER and give a scenario otherwise that Kyle is the caliber of QB to lead this team in the playoffs. Hell if we (Broncos) had the Raven Defense of 2000, Orton more than likely could only lead the team to one post season win.

BroncoSojia
04-19-2010, 04:48 PM

http://wsoesports.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/kidd.jpg

The Joker
04-19-2010, 04:50 PM
http://blogs.msdn.com/blogfiles/miah/WindowsLiveWriter/Enti.NETRoleProviderReadtheMSDNFinePrint_B6B5/Blank-Facepalm_2.gif

rastaman
04-19-2010, 04:53 PM
:rofl:

Sometimes it's just easier to go with the simplest explanation.

Whats wrong Popps ya still can't get over your hang over from the 2-8 finish and how Kyle threw two picks and one of those picks were 6 points with playoff implications on the line. Why didn't the 5 year wily veteran get the job done? Why did the team quit on McDaniel's during the last game against the Chiefs?

Who do you blame Popps? Those alleged players who went to McD privately and demanded that Brandon be suspended.......funny how those same veteran players FAILED to show up against the Chiefs in game 16????.

Ummmmmm......you've got some explaining to do. ;)

rastaman
04-19-2010, 04:55 PM
http://blogs.msdn.com/blogfiles/miah/WindowsLiveWriter/Enti.NETRoleProviderReadtheMSDNFinePrint_B6B5/Blank-Facepalm_2.gif

Thats what happens when you go 2-8 and get blown out by Chiefs the last game of the season with playoff implications.

FRUSTRATION SETS IN. :thumbsup:

rastaman
04-19-2010, 04:56 PM
http://wsoesports.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/kidd.jpg

Okay maybe/perhaps Kyle can do a 180 and play much better in Nov and Dec.ROFL!

rastaman
04-19-2010, 04:57 PM
ROFL...Yeah, rastaman is not the brightest.

;) And your family tree has no leaves nor branches. :~ohyah!:

Mediator12
04-19-2010, 04:58 PM
Good lord you are an idiot as well......you know the jury is out whether Orton will play well in Nov and Dec to get the Broncos into the playoffs in 2010. Why you can't admit it.....proves overwhelmingly what an idiot you are.

Prove you're not an idiot HOMER and give a scenario otherwise that Kyle is the caliber of QB to lead this team in the playoffs. Hell if we (Broncos) had the Raven Defense of 2000, Orton more than likely could only lead the team to one post season win.

It is not about Kyle Orton. Dude, you said 360 instead of a 180. The problem is you might not even know how funny that is unless you know the difference ROFL!

Paladin
04-19-2010, 05:04 PM
This message is hidden because rastaman is on your ignore list (http://www.orangemane.com/BB/profile.php?do=ignorelist).

This boob just misses the point of any discussion. I think he had to repeat kindergarten....

rastaman
04-19-2010, 05:06 PM
It is not about Kyle Orton. Dude, you said 360 instead of a 180. The problem is you might not even know how funny that is unless you know the difference ROFL!

360 - full circle. 180-half circle. The topic isn't about Orton...its about when will Josh have the team in the SB......we can all agree Kyle is not the answer. However, so long as McD sticks with Orton and Quinn--well we just won't see a SB with those two at QB.

Now which one do you expect Orton to make during the months of Nov and Dec a 360 or a 180?. Or are your expectations so low when it comes to Orton you haven't really given it much thought?:sunshine:

HAT
04-19-2010, 05:06 PM
San Diego Chargers (13-3)
Dallas Cowboys (11-5)
Green Bay Packers (11-5)
Indianapolis Colts (14-2)
New Orleans Saints (13-3)
New England Patriots (10-6)
Philadelphia Eagles (11-5)
Minnesota Vikings (12-4)
Arizona Cardinals (10-6)
Baltimore Ravens (9-7)
New York Jets (9-7)
Cincinnati Bengals (10-6)

Out of the 12 teams that made the playoff's in 2009, which of those teams had a QB that remind you of Kyle Orton?

Almost half of them.

The Joker
04-19-2010, 05:10 PM
Rasta.

Stand up, look straight ahead of you.

Now spin 360 degrees, and look straight ahead again.

Notice any similarities?

Try not to hurt yourself spinning in the circle also.

rastaman
04-19-2010, 05:15 PM
Rasta.

Stand up, look straight ahead of you.

Now spin 360 degrees, and look straight ahead again.

Notice any similarities?

Try not to hurt yourself spinning in the circle also.

Are you speaking from experience? :wiggle:

The Joker
04-19-2010, 05:19 PM
Yes actually.

I'm a teacher and help some of the slower kids with their mathematics one-to-one sometimes.

rastaman
04-19-2010, 05:21 PM
Almost half of them.

Orton does not equal the talent as McNabb.

The Bengal's aren't willing to trade their QB for Orton. Nor the Jets or the Ravens.

Hell not even the Cardinal's are interested in trading for Orton.

rastaman
04-19-2010, 05:23 PM
Yes actually.

I'm a teacher and help some of the slower kids with their mathematics one-to-one sometimes.

Hopefully none of your students injured themselves trying your silly 360 degrees spin maneuver.:thumbsup:

The Joker
04-19-2010, 05:27 PM
No, most of em figure it out much quicker than you so there's no need. :sunshine:

elsid13
04-19-2010, 05:31 PM
I wonder if Orton can actually do a sober 360 with tripping.

bowtown
04-19-2010, 05:33 PM
I wonder if Orton can actually do a sober 360 with tripping.

Is that a new skateboard move?

rastaman
04-19-2010, 05:46 PM
No, most of em figure it out much quicker than you so there's no need. :sunshine:

Actually since you are so are enamored with your 360 exercise why don't you try the 360 spin out on I-25 during rush hour! :sunshine:

rastaman
04-19-2010, 05:51 PM
Is that a new skateboard move?

Its a new move on how to avoid the pass rush w/o tripping over your own feet!

The Joker
04-19-2010, 05:54 PM
Actually since you are so are enamored with your 360 exercise why don't you try the 360 spin out on I-25 during rush hour!

"you are so are enamored"?

Can you figure out the problem with this particular part of your sentence, or would you like me to devise some sort of exercise to assist you with this also?

rastaman
04-19-2010, 06:12 PM
"you are so enamored"?

Can you figure out the problem with this particular part of your sentence, or would you like me to devise some sort of exercise to assist you with this also?

There fixed it! Now when are you going to try your 360 spin move out on I-25 during the height of rush hour traffic? ;)

Please let me know...I'll tape it and download it on to You Tube and make you more famous than Josh "My Way or the Highway" McDaniel's. ;)

outdoor_miner
04-19-2010, 10:36 PM
It wasn't aimed at you, more of a response to Taco's post and those that agreed with it.

Expect is just a very strong word IMO. I'd hope that we'd win a playoff game, and maybe go all the way and win a Superbowl. What I "expect" is a team that can play good ball in January and be a tough out for anyone they come across.

Not that it matters (or that anyone really cares), but I just want to clarify that I expect the team to be in the playoffs this year, and to be a Super Bowl "contender" next year (ie - one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the AFC). I was one of the one's that agreed with Taco's post, and it was just in the sense that this team needs to be playoff bound this year, and next year needs to make a big push in the post-season for me to be satisfied with Josh's performance. I agree with you that expecting Super Bowl victories is not really realistic every year. By 2011, I want a team that is always in the hunt, though. And - one of these next few years, we'll pull one out. :)

NFLBRONCO
04-19-2010, 11:48 PM
What do you think they need to be annual SB contender?

QB for sure
#1 WR
Upgrades G C
DE
S
CB
RB
LB

The Joker
04-20-2010, 01:48 AM
There fixed it! Now when are you going to try your 360 spin move out on I-25 during the height of rush hour traffic? ;)

Please let me know...I'll tape it and download it on to You Tube and make you more famous than Josh "My Way or the Highway" McDaniel's. ;)

I certainly will do, I'm sure we'll all get another good laugh out of your attempts to successfully operate a video camera.

The Joker
04-20-2010, 01:49 AM
Not that it matters (or that anyone really cares), but I just want to clarify that I expect the team to be in the playoffs this year, and to be a Super Bowl "contender" next year (ie - one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the AFC). I was one of the one's that agreed with Taco's post, and it was just in the sense that this team needs to be playoff bound this year, and next year needs to make a big push in the post-season for me to be satisfied with Josh's performance. I agree with you that expecting Super Bowl victories is not really realistic every year. By 2011, I want a team that is always in the hunt, though. And - one of these next few years, we'll pull one out. :)

That sounds good. :thumbsup:

watermock
04-20-2010, 01:54 AM
9-7.

Bronco Yoda
04-20-2010, 06:31 AM
Last year much of the board crucified McD before he coached a single game. It was total doom and gloom before anyone of us really knew what to expect.

Now after a season in which we totally collapsed at the end (again)... gutted the rest of our offense, completely changed our running attack, waved good-bye to our D coordinator... not a very impressive 1st draft... on and on and on.... but everyone's talking Super Bowl now?

maher_tyler
04-20-2010, 06:45 AM
2011!! No excuses!! McD, Moreno, Smith etc will be in year 3, the guys we draft this year will have a year under there belt!! All the players he wants in his system should be in place!!

TonyR
04-20-2010, 07:07 AM

Yup, I noticed that backpedaling myself. He said "win the Super Bowl" which is the preposterous expectation of a 12 year old boy.

TonyR
04-20-2010, 07:12 AM
...but everyone's talking Super Bowl now?

It is pathetic, isn't is? Shanny's a great coach but managed one playoff win in his last ten years but this guy's supposed to come in and win a Super Bowl within 3 years. Seriously? Let's first make the playoffs, then win a playoff game, and then we'll start talking about the Super Bowl.

gunns
04-20-2010, 07:21 AM
Thread solve:

Close it up.

Exactly why I wanted the previous admin gone. Every damn year after a draft and free agency, "he's got the pieces to get us there" and after every 8-8, 9-7 year, "we just need" and "you just can't get over Elway, he's almost there, he had a great year overall". BS! And I guarantee you, I'm not going to be overly patient. A talented coach, who hasn't lost it, can get a team to the SB within 2-3 years MAX. Do it or move on, I'm not willing to make up **** for another coach for 10 years.

gunns
04-20-2010, 07:24 AM
It is pathetic, isn't is? Shanny's a great coach but managed one playoff win in his last ten years but this guy's supposed to come in and win a Super Bowl within 3 years. Seriously? Let's first make the playoffs, then win a playoff game, and then we'll start talking about the Super Bowl.

Oh God, how low we have sunk. Did I find the Chargers, Chiefs, or Raiders board? We have become so willing to settle.....let's go get Dan Reeves, he can do that for us. Seriously, if we've now just made the playoffs our goal.

oubronco
04-20-2010, 07:28 AM
Almost half of them.

Did you just compare Orton with McNabb and Warner :spit:

jhns
04-20-2010, 07:30 AM

Everyone listen to Tony. There is no way we should ever expect a McDaniels run Broncos to reach the SB.

Also Tony, Shanahan won two SBs shortly after getting here. He did fail to get another over the next 10 years and was fired for it. There is a reason he got that extra time though. If McDaniels wins a SB or two, I bet he gets the same treatment. Comparing the situations is laughable at this time.

TonyR
04-20-2010, 07:52 AM
Oh God, how low we have sunk. Did I find the Chargers, Chiefs, or Raiders board? We have become so willing to settle.....let's go get Dan Reeves, he can do that for us. Seriously, if we've now just made the playoffs our goal.

I think you're misconstruing my position. I'm not "settling". The organization's goal should be to win the Super Bowl every year. That's what they should strive for, and it's what I "expect" them to build towards. But for a fan to expect to win the Super Bowl is silly. That's just not a realistic expectation and you're going to be disappointed most every year. What I expect is improvement and competitiveness. As a fan the Super Bowl is more about hope than expectations. Keep hope alive but manage your expectations to a realistic target.

TonyR
04-20-2010, 07:56 AM
Comparing the situations is laughable at this time.

As is "expecting" to win the Super Bowl this or next year. I want them to, and I hope they do, but I certainly don't expect them to. Come on, really, do you expect a Lombardi trophy this or next year? If this coach is such a failure as you constantly preach why would you expect that?

jhns
04-20-2010, 08:05 AM
As is "expecting" to win the Super Bowl this or next year. I want them to, and I hope they do, but I certainly don't expect them to. Come on, really, do you expect a Lombardi trophy this or next year? If this coach is such a failure as you constantly preach why would you expect that?

Look, I agree with you. I even said as much. No one should be thinking we are getting to a SB with the current front office.

I bet we would be getting close if we had kept the offense together. Some coaching and experience could have fixed the very few problems that offense had. With the way McDaniels is building the defense, we could have been pretty good in a short time. Now we have to finish building the defense and completely rebuild the offense. SBs are a long ways off.

BroncoBuff
04-20-2010, 06:06 PM
It is pathetic, isn't is? Shanny's a great coach but managed one playoff win in his last ten years but this guy's supposed to come in and win a Super Bowl within 3 years. Seriously?

Settle down knucklehead, nobody said he's "supposed to" win a Bowl in 3 years.

TonyR
04-20-2010, 06:17 PM
...nobody said he's "supposed to" win a Bowl in 3 years.

Go read post #6 of the thread and then report back.

BroncoBuff
04-20-2010, 06:29 PM

Oh, maaaan .... TJ, please!

cousinal11
04-20-2010, 06:44 PM
I just want steady improvement.