PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Jordan Shipley?

Soul-Bronco
04-16-2010, 11:40 PM
<EMBED height=385 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=480 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/1te2nR2SBE8&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0 allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

look at the move at 1.18, shows he has the instincts to play reciever, catches the ball well, and has game speed. caught 24 TD's in his last two years running the spread offense with mCcoy

What are your thoughts on this guy and the chance of us taking him in the draft?

trade down or keep 11, if better players at other positions are on the board during the early picks, would you like the like the idea of drafting this guy in the later rounds?

BroncoInferno
04-17-2010, 12:17 AM
In the later rounds, sure. He's a classic overachiever who could be a solid #3 or #4 guy. I'd be surprised if he wasn't on our board as a potential 4th or 5th round selection.

Tombstone RJ
04-17-2010, 12:22 AM
If the Broncos are gonna get a small WR type, I'd just pop some coin on McCluster.

BroncoInferno
04-17-2010, 12:29 AM
And, actually, it seems there is at least one guy per draft who is considered a "reach." If I had to guess, I'd say Shipley is a top candidate to be a guy we might take a round or two earlier than the "experts" predict. Not saying that I endorse that or that it would be popular, but he seems to have a lot of the attributes that McDaniels likes. The guy is clearly an overachiever and hard worker who made a ton of big plays against top level collegiate competition, so it would be hard for me to dislike his selection even if the "experts" called it a reach.

enjolras
04-17-2010, 12:32 AM
I think he's going to be a very effective NFL wide receiver....

meangene
04-17-2010, 12:37 AM
I'd rather have Jacoby Ford.

BroncoInferno
04-17-2010, 12:46 AM

I'm a Clemson fan, but I don't think Jacoby can play WR at the NFL level very effectively. He has a chance to make it as a return man, though.

ZONA
04-17-2010, 12:46 AM

Yes, I would also. But I'm sure Ford will go somewhere in the 3rd and I'm guessing Shipley middle 4th. I love Shipley's game but getting seperation in college is much easier. The type of WR Shipley is, you have to be one terriffic route runner, like Stokes. That's the only way he will every get seperation. He doesn't have big time speed or great size so he will need to rely on crisp routes, and I think he can do that. I would love to see Benn drafted in round 2 if he falls to us there but the only way I see us having the luxury of being able to get another WR in the later round is if we trade back and pick up some extra picks.

6 more days - I'm pumped.

BroncoInferno
04-17-2010, 12:50 AM
Is Ford really projected for the 3rd? Maybe for his return ability, but he is not a great route runner and is not a very good technician in terms of getting off the line of scrimmage. Shipley runs much better routes and is a very good technician so I think he has a better shot at being a productive receiver.

meangene
04-17-2010, 12:51 AM
I'm a Clemson fan, but I don't think Jacoby can play WR at the NFL level very effectively. He has a chance to make it as a return man, though.

Idk, he looked great at the Senior Bowl - used that speed to get open and caught the ball way better than I expected. I wouldn't count on him to play outside but as a slot guy he would give teams nightmares. If I had to pick a guy for us at WR in the second, however, Decker is starting to grow on me and he seems like a real good fit in our offense.

meangene
04-17-2010, 12:54 AM
Is Ford really projected for the 3rd? Maybe for his return ability, but he is not a great route runner and is not a very good technician in terms of getting off the line of scrimmage. Shipley runs much better routes and is a very good technician so I think he has a better shot at being a productive receiver.

Yeah, that's about where I see him going in most projections. I just think he is raw as a route runner but he can be coached up in that area. Like I said earlier, he really made some strides in that area at the Senior Bowl with some pro coaching. He has the hands. I like his potential.

BroncoInferno
04-17-2010, 12:55 AM
Idk, he looked great at the Senior Bowl - used that speed to get open and caught the ball way better than I expected. I wouldn't count on him to play outside but as a slot guy he would give teams nightmares. If I had to pick a guy for us at WR in the second, however, Decker is starting to grow on me and he seems like a real good fit in our offense.

Jacoby has just never been a very disciplined route runner and he's not that strong, so it's hard for me to see him doing much as a WR. But I always liked Jacoby so I'd love to see him prove me wrong, especially if it's for the Broncos. Personally, I think the best case scenario for him would be a Joshua Cribbs sort, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Ziggy
04-17-2010, 01:08 AM
I like Shipley as both a receiver and returner. I think he can be a solid #2 receiver.

Bronco CB40
04-17-2010, 01:15 AM
He's a classic overachiever who could be a solid #3 or #4 guy.

Why does every Caucasian wideout have to be labeled as a "classic overachiever"?

Quan Cosby was more of an overachiever than Jordan Shipley was at the University of Texas.

ZONA
04-17-2010, 01:16 AM

Yup. His combine was outstanding. Ran a 4.28 and amazed scouts and coaches on the catching drills. Yeah, his route running needs work but that's not unusual for a middle round WR. He's forcasted to go in the 3rd because he's a fast MF who has good hands. You hope he can learn to run routes better but as they say, you can't teach speed.

BroncoInferno
04-17-2010, 01:18 AM
Yup. His combine was outstanding. Ran a 4.28 and amazed scouts and coaches on the catching drills. Yeah, his route running needs work but that's not unusual for a middle round WR. He's forcasted to go in the 3rd because he's a fast MF who has good hands. You hope he can learn to run routes better but as they say, you can't teach speed.

Yeah, but will he be able to consistently get off the line of scrimmage? Aside from needing to improve route running, that is where I question him the most after watching him for four years.

BroncoInferno
04-17-2010, 01:20 AM
All that said, I don't pretend I am some kind of expert and will be thrilled if we took one of my favorite Clemson guys. How about Spiller in the 1st and Jacoby in the 3rd? Instant speed, baby!

ZONA
04-17-2010, 01:53 AM
All that said, I don't pretend I am some kind of expert and will be thrilled if we took one of my favorite Clemson guys. How about Spiller in the 1st and Jacoby in the 3rd? Instant speed, baby!

Are you related to Al in anyway? lol

Well, I think there are risks with both guys (of course) and while I think Spiller is a safer bet, it's a costlier mistake if he doesn't pan out. When I think of Spiller, I just see how under utilized Bush was for a few years. He really came back and helped them this year but the Broncos are not trying to run an offense like the Saints. Josh said he wants more of a power running game so I just don't see how a small speedy back fits that mindset. And I'm not totally sold of Ford either. He is a small WR himself, and as you said, doesn't get off the line all that well. I'd rather see this team get the linemen it needs and then replace Marshall early in the 2nd (hopefully with somebody like Benn). Benn is somebody with an NFL body and could contribute right away and I see him fitting this "power" system much better then some of the other guys.

BroncoInferno
04-17-2010, 01:59 AM
Are you related to Al in anyway? lol

Well, the difference is I like guys with speed AND talent ;D

SouthStndJunkie
04-17-2010, 02:00 AM
I would have no problem drafting Jordan Shipley in the 4th round.

I could see a team taking a liking to him and selecting him in the 3rd round.

BroncoInferno
04-17-2010, 02:03 AM
As far as the Reggie Bush/Spiller comparisons go, I think C.J. will be the better pro hands down. Bush was overhyped because he was at USC. Though C.J. struggled with running between the tackles early in his career, he was MUCH improved by his senior year and I think can hold up to an NFL pounding FAR better than Bush.

Florida_Bronco
04-17-2010, 02:04 AM
I don't see where he would play. We already have Royal to play the Z receiver spot with Stokley as his backup, and that is the only position I can see Shipley projecting to.

BroncoInferno
04-17-2010, 02:06 AM
I don't see where he would play. We already have Royal to play the Z receiver spot with Stokley as his backup, and that is the only position I can see Shipley projecting to.

Stokley is old, injury prone, and didn't do much last season (the opening day miracle notwithstanding). I wouldn't be surprised if he was cut this year.

Doggcow
04-17-2010, 02:12 AM
I really like Shipley as a "Stokely-esque" guy. He will be solid.

Florida_Bronco
04-17-2010, 03:13 AM
Stokley is old, injury prone, and didn't do much last season (the opening day miracle notwithstanding). I wouldn't be surprised if he was cut this year.

Good point.

Baba Booey
04-17-2010, 03:18 AM
We've got Royal for that "Welker" position. We need some athletes on the outside.

ZONA
04-17-2010, 03:43 AM

I wouldn't be surprised but I also think he could easily still make the team. Those vets who used to play alot who become backups, can really make the difference down the stretch if somebody in front of them gets injured. He would be fresh since he would not be starting or playing alot, and you don't have to use a pick for that position. It depends on who is there in the later rounds that we like the most. But a GM/Coach could say to himself, I like Shipley and I like this other dude (say a LB). If I kept Stokes for another year, I could take this LB instead of Ship.

But I agree that we need the bigger playmaker type of WR. Royal and Gaff already have the smaller precision route positions filled.

Dr. Broncenstein
04-17-2010, 06:52 AM
I can't believe that I'm the first to mention this: HE COULD BE THE NEXT McCAFFREY!!!

/or Casper
//or Circus

Broncoman13
04-17-2010, 07:16 AM
If the Broncos are gonna get a small WR type, I'd just pop some coin on McCluster.

He's isn't that small. McCluster is probably more compact and will come at the price of a 2nd rounder. Ship probably round 4 or 5.

I think he will struggle at the next level, he just isn't fast enough. That said, he is pretty instinctive so he's worth a shot.

FADERPROOF
04-17-2010, 07:17 AM
Stokely replacement, I hate Shipley though just for that Fiesta bowl against the Buckeyes...damn him!

NFLBRONCO
04-17-2010, 09:16 AM
I want Denver to draft SPEED on offense which means we will go slow like we always do. I'd love a fast wr and a fast rb added and one big target wr. Shipley seems like a McD type of player in the 3rd/4th round area.

Archer81
04-17-2010, 09:31 AM

Shipley is 6 feet, isnt he? Rod Smith was 6 feet.

:Broncos:

hookemhess
04-17-2010, 11:53 AM
I'm obv biased but I'd take Shipley in the 3rd. Good character guy, works hard, could be useful in the slot ala Stokely.

_Oro_
04-17-2010, 12:03 PM
I like the block at 1:09. (sorry has nothing to do with Shipley)

Popps
04-17-2010, 08:37 PM
I still say Danario Alexander for the bargain WR pick-up.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-17-2010, 08:42 PM
As far as the Reggie Bush/Spiller comparisons go, I think C.J. will be the better pro hands down. Bush was overhyped because he was at USC. Though C.J. struggled with running between the tackles early in his career, he was MUCH improved by his senior year and I think can hold up to an NFL pounding FAR better than Bush.

Reggie Bush was overhyped because he was friggin incredible. Not because he was at USC. Remember that sick run he had in the divisional round? He did that on the regular at USC.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-17-2010, 08:44 PM
I still say Danario Alexander for the bargain WR pick-up.

I'm with you on this. Though i have a feeling he'll go earlier than you think, despite his injuries. A good talent.

Tombstone RJ
04-17-2010, 10:12 PM
boooyahhhh

Broncojef
04-18-2010, 02:10 AM
I'd rather see us take Blair White from Michigan State in the 6th or 7th.