PDA

View Full Version : Everything causes cancer now!

PaintballCLE
04-16-2010, 08:28 PM
Seriously, smoke 5 packs a day, go play in asbestos, drink some water before bedtime......its all gonna kill you ! i dont know whats worse......the results of this study, or the fact money was being wasted on it instead of something more important.

Getting up in the middle of the night to urinate may cause more problems than simply interrupting a good night's sleep. It could also lead to cancer -- that is, if you turn on the light, according to the Daily Mail.

Various news outlets are reporting that researchers from the UK and Israel claim that even a quick bout of light in the middle of the night can trigger an 'overexpression' of brain cells linked to cancer. However, the new study's lead author, Charalambos P. Kyriacou, told AOL Health that cancer risk only increases with prolonged light exposure.

"A quick switch on of the light will have negligible effects -- we are talking about prolonged bright light exposure at night," Kyriacou, professor of behavioral genetics at the University of Leicester, explained. "The 'switching on of lights causes cancer when you go to the bathroom at night' is an eye-catching fabrication of the press."

In the study, Kyriacou and his colleagues exposed mice to bright light for one hour to mimic how shift workers may respond to prolonged light. Then, they examined the mice's genomes, or DNA sequences, for changes in certain genes' activity during the light burst. One group of genes that illustrated a change in activity were those responsible for the cell cycle, or the process by which cells divide and multiply, Kyriacou said.

Previous studies have shown that chronic shift workers suffer from physical and cognitive problems, including increased risk of cancer. This study illustrated that the cell cycle genes' change in activity may cause these health issues.

"I think our work tells people what is already out there in the literature, that shift workers have higher risks of developing illnesses, including cancer," Kyriacou explained. "It suggests a possible mechanism."

Dr. Anish Sheth, assistant professor of medicine at Yale University School of Medicine and co-author of "What's My Pee Telling Me?" (who had no affiliation to the study) said that previous research has shown that getting up in the middle of the night can lead to health problems by causing changes in melatonin, the hormone that regulates sleep and wake cycles.

Sheth believes that people should be more concerned with waking up in the middle of the night than turning on the lights, as keeping the lights off can lead to more accidents.

"It's definitely an interesting study, but I think it's premature to recommend that you shouldn't turn on the light at night," Sheth says.

Los Broncos
04-16-2010, 08:33 PM
Better start keeping a empty bottle next to bed from now on.

Archer81
04-16-2010, 08:36 PM
I've read that cancer cells exist already in our bodies. Our immune systems usually keep them in check. I dont know if I buy it though.

Of course, if you live long enough...that can kill you too.

:Broncos:

Killericon
04-16-2010, 08:40 PM
I've stopped paying attention to people telling me what's healthy and what's not. It's easy to eat healthy, there's no trick to it. I'm just happy we don't die in our '20s like they did a couple hundred years ago. I'm not gonna be too pissed off if something I do causes me to die when I'm 75 instead of 80.

ZONA
04-16-2010, 08:50 PM
Everything doesn't cause cancer and you seem to be over reacting just as bad as The Daily News. Right at the end of the article it says getting up at night to use the restroom is not going to cause cancer, and yet you freak out and feel the need to post it. What a waste of time this thread was.

PaintballCLE
04-16-2010, 08:51 PM
Everything doesn't cause cancer and you seem to be over reacting just as bad as The Daily News. Right at the end of the article it says getting up at night to use the restroom is not going to cause cancer, and yet you freak out and feel the need to post it. What a waste of time this thread was.

are you serious? or am i missing the sarcasm in the same way you missed mine? LOL

Archer81
04-16-2010, 08:53 PM

Increasingly, we are told everything required for life causes cancer. Get vitamin D from the sun, you get cancer. Drink water. Minerals in the water causes cancer. Eat meat, protein causes cancer.

The article is another hysterical attempt to state the obvious: **** causes cancer.

watermock
04-16-2010, 08:58 PM
http://www.coasttocoastam.com/show/2010/04/15

read this

kappys
04-16-2010, 09:50 PM
"All things are poison and nothing is without poison, only the dose permits something not to be poisonous." - Paracelsus

As true today as the day it was written

baja
04-16-2010, 10:10 PM
I've read that cancer cells exist already in our bodies. Our immune systems usually keep them in check. I dont know if I buy it though.

It' true.

Read this it is the definitive work on the subject;

http://chipusa.fatcow.com/store/media/BK-145_TheChinaStudy.gif

watermock
04-16-2010, 10:20 PM
http://doctormarysmonkey.com/

watermock
04-16-2010, 10:22 PM
http://www.coasttocoastam.com/show/2010/04/15,

enjolras
04-16-2010, 11:31 PM
It' true.

Read this it is the definitive work on the subject;

http://chipusa.fatcow.com/store/media/BK-145_TheChinaStudy.gif

Can you summarize? I always was under the impression that our best understanding was that cancer cells are mutations of existing (healthy) DNA. The body has a series of defenses that generally battle these cells away, but sometimes those defenses fail and bad things happen. This is why nutrrition plays such a big role in cancer prevention, as proper nutrition (and sleep) give your body the best chance of fighting off mutations....

baja
04-16-2010, 11:49 PM
It's late and I am tired. Maybe this will help.(I did not read it so I don't know how good it is)

http://tctutoring.net/pdf/ChinaStudy.pdf

Gob
04-17-2010, 07:18 AM

I have read something similar in Genome, which is a great book if your interested in this kind of stuff. He said that in every tissue every day at least one cell begins reproducing itself out of control (its reproducing genes get switched on and for whatever reason become jammed on and unresponsive). If that cell can't be stopped from reproducing it becomes cancer. Usually the cell itself has genes (oncogenes) that look out for this and stop it by messing up the reproducing machinery, but sometimes a cells DNA have been damaged or mutated enough so that both the reproducing gene is damaged and stuck on "on", but the oncogene is also damaged and stuck on "off". The next safeguard is a suicide gene that destroys the cell when the body tells it to, which the body will do if it notices a runaway reproducing cell. Every time you get x rays or whatever, the protein associated with this gene rises in the body because there is more then usual runaways that are being told to destroy themselves. When this suicide gene is damaged or mutated or just faulty (the cell won't listen to the "kill yourself" order), you have a 95% chance of getting cancer.
The more reproducing the more chance of error, so when something goes wrong and the reproducing gene gets stuck on, you are also increasing the chances of further mutations. For a minority of cells that have the reproducing gene stuck on, there is a copy error that messes up the oncogenes before they are activated. As those continual reproductions add up, the chance of further mutations increases and if the suicide gene gets mutated (or was faulty from the beginning) before the body recognizes the problem, you have cancer.

Dr. Broncenstein
04-17-2010, 07:20 AM
Everyone poops and then eventually dies. I learnt that in medicle skool.

baja
04-17-2010, 07:26 AM
Actually a lot of people die because they don't poop. ;D

Dehydration and constipation are major pre-cursers to dis ease

Dr. Broncenstein
04-17-2010, 07:28 AM
Actually a lot of people die because they don't poop. ;D

Dehydration and constipation are major pre-cursers to dis ease

If you go long enough without pooping from your bum, the poop finds a way to escape from another hole. Sometimes that hole is your mouth. Sometimes it makes a new hole. I learnt that in sergerie skool.

watermock
04-17-2010, 07:31 AM
Grape juice.

orange crusher
04-17-2010, 08:10 AM
Pick your poison - die of cancer from turning on the light or have your wife beat you to death after you p!ss all over the floor.

PaintballCLE
04-17-2010, 08:16 AM
I have read something similar in Genome, which is a great book if your interested in this kind of stuff. He said that in every tissue every day at least one cell begins reproducing itself out of control (its reproducing genes get switched on and for whatever reason become jammed on and unresponsive). If that cell can't be stopped from reproducing it becomes cancer. Usually the cell itself has genes (oncogenes) that look out for this and stop it by messing up the reproducing machinery, but sometimes a cells DNA have been damaged or mutated enough so that both the reproducing gene is damaged and stuck on "on", but the oncogene is also damaged and stuck on "off". The next safeguard is a suicide gene that destroys the cell when the body tells it to, which the body will do if it notices a runaway reproducing cell. Every time you get x rays or whatever, the protein associated with this gene rises in the body because there is more then usual runaways that are being told to destroy themselves. When this suicide gene is damaged or mutated or just faulty (the cell won't listen to the "kill yourself" order), you have a 95% chance of getting cancer.
The more reproducing the more chance of error, so when something goes wrong and the reproducing gene gets stuck on, you are also increasing the chances of further mutations. For a minority of cells that have the reproducing gene stuck on, there is a copy error that messes up the oncogenes before they are activated. As those continual reproductions add up, the chance of further mutations increases and if the suicide gene gets mutated (or was faulty from the beginning) before the body recognizes the problem, you have cancer.

so basically our boides are running microsoft vista........and sometimes the virus software doesn't pick up the virus....and everyone eventually gets the blue screen of death!

watermock
04-17-2010, 08:24 AM
No, mutiviral vaccines are a death trap.

It's pretty simple.