PDA

View Full Version : No mention of CJ Spiller?

The MVPlaya
04-16-2010, 07:51 PM
I don't recall McDaniels talking about Spiller.

After listening to the interview, I don't think Broncos will be taking spiller, and they'll be looking to take someone that can contribute right away full time at the 11th pick.

SMH @ the reporters at the press...

Killericon
04-16-2010, 07:54 PM
IIRC, he dismissed the idea of taking a RB early.

gtown
04-16-2010, 08:01 PM
Should we even be dissecting what an NFL football coach says about the draft a week before the draft? It's all smokescreen at this point.

FADERPROOF
04-16-2010, 08:02 PM
Why would we consider Spiller when we just took Moreno last year?

SouthStndJunkie
04-16-2010, 08:06 PM

Why should Tennessee have considered Chris Johnson when they took LenDale White 2 years earlier?

Killericon
04-16-2010, 08:09 PM
Why should Tennessee have considered Chris Johnson when they took LenDale White 2 years earlier?

12th overall is a much higher pick than 45th overall. 11th overall is much higher than 24th overall. The Titans had twice as long to evaluate White as we have to evaluate Moreno.

Taco John
04-16-2010, 08:10 PM

Because after two seasons they saw that LenDale White wasn't the guy they could rest the franchise on.

Gcver2ver3
04-16-2010, 08:11 PM

because spiller is a playmaker...

regardless of who is on your roster, you don't want to be in the business of passing on playmakers...

i wouldnt be surprised if his dismissal of a RB early was a smokescreen...

FADERPROOF
04-16-2010, 08:11 PM

Cause LenDale was a 2nd round pick and had 2 years, little different than spending the 12th overall pick and admitting mistake 1 year later.

FADERPROOF
04-16-2010, 08:13 PM
because spiller is a playmaker...

regardless of who is on your roster, you don't want to be in the business of passing on playmakers...

i wouldnt be surprised if his dismissal of a RB early was a smokescreen...

With the 11th pick, there are plenty of potential playmakers available, lets get a playmaker at a position that we need.

Caligula
04-16-2010, 08:30 PM
we don't know that Spiller is a "play maker" at the NFL level than any other player we could draft at a position we need. Spending first round picks, two years in a row, for a RB (the easiest position to fill) is the last thing this team needs.

Thank goodness we aren't considering him.

*WARHORSE*
04-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Dont know who is listening to what, but Josh said there is no difference in evaluating taking a RB at 11.

And he DID mention Spiller as one of the players they've had in.

In fact, I listened to this interview, and Im thinking, 'every coach thinks about what hes going to say, not say in these positions'. I honestly think he pumped up McClain hoping someone else will take him ahead of them.

When mentioning Spiller, he miscued somewhat. He seemed to get a little nervous.

Spiller is in play, and if hes the top rated guy on the board, they will take him at 11.

IF of course, he was telling the truth when he said they will take the top rated player regardless of position according to their draft board.

Only players not coming off the board for us are going to be tackles at 11.

Caligula
04-16-2010, 08:39 PM
yeah.. because if we don't take Spiller, it means he was lying about his taking the highest rated player on THEIR board, and not the fact that he wasn't rated to take in the first round.

ZONA
04-16-2010, 08:40 PM

White was the 45th pick. Not exactly the same as using the #10 pick and then using another first rounder the year after.

ZONA
04-16-2010, 08:45 PM
And what would the Spiller lovers say this time next year if he is less then stellar during his first year and once again, there is another intriguing RB type who is a big playmaker. Do we have this discussion all over again. There will be those of us who say, for godsake, we can't draft a RB with our 1st pick 3 years in a row. Uh, so the argument they support this year will not have any legs to stand on the following year either. You go with best player available and don't worry about what you did in the past. Cool. Just good to know that some of you think there's no problems in drafting a RB in the first round every single year.

Gcver2ver3
04-16-2010, 08:45 PM
With the 11th pick, there are plenty of potential playmakers available, lets get a playmaker at a position that we need.

there are some defensive playmakers...

but there will be maybe two playmakers on offense avaliable that grade that high...dez bryant and cj spiller...our offense has no playmakers so we really could use a playmaker on the offensive side of the ball...

and i am hoping dez bryant is not our target...

gtown
04-16-2010, 08:50 PM

but there will be maybe two playmakers on offense avaliable that grade that high...dez bryant and cj spiller...our offense has no playmakers so we really could use a playmaker on the offensive side of the ball...

this is what I am thinking as well. With Marshall gone and Sheff on the block, who are our playmakers besides royal and maybe moreno? The only two elite playermakers are spiller and Bryant. And I don't think we target Bryant.

ZONA
04-16-2010, 08:53 PM
Folks, it's looking alot like Joe Haden could be the pick. I don't think we are going with Dez or Spiller and unless one of those tackles falls down to us, he could be the BPA. Thomas is starting to move up on the boards also. Mayock like Thomas more then he does Berry, not by much, but some. He could be the pick also.

Great13
04-16-2010, 08:53 PM
12th overall is a much higher pick than 45th overall. 11th overall is much higher than 24th overall. The Titans had twice as long to evaluate White as we have to evaluate Moreno.

Not that I want Spiller.. but Carolina did it as well with Williams and Stewart. Their running game is pretty good. But we need O-Line first. Fast backs come a dime a dozen. Tatum Bell anyone? No seriously.. if we get our line up to par.. I'll take him back.. he'll be cheap.. and he can run!

FADERPROOF
04-16-2010, 08:55 PM

I like the sound "defensive playmakers" a lot more than pretty much admittimg to the entire world that we screwed the pooch on last years first round draft pick of Knowshon Moreno.

FADERPROOF
04-16-2010, 08:57 PM
this is what I am thinking as well. With Marshall gone and Sheff on the block, who are our playmakers besides royal and maybe moreno? The only two elite playermakers are spiller and Bryant. And I don't think we target Bryant.

So you even mentioned Moreno as a possible playmaker and still want Spiller? that honestly makes no sense to say"our 1st round draft pick last year at RB can turn in to a playmaker but I say we grab another RB in the 1st round to see if he can turn into a playmaker as well."

FADERPROOF
04-16-2010, 08:58 PM
Not that I want Spiller.. but Carolina did it as well with Williams and Stewart. Their running game is pretty good. But we need O-Line first. Fast backs come a dime a dozen. Tatum Bell anyone? No seriously.. if we get our line up to par.. I'll take him back.. he'll be cheap.. and he can run!

Williams and Stewart is a hell of a lot better example than LenDale and Johnson.

Gcver2ver3
04-16-2010, 09:09 PM
I like the sound "defensive playmakers" a lot more than pretty much admittimg to the entire world that we screwed the pooch on last years first round draft pick of Knowshon Moreno.

just because we draft cj spiller that doesnt mean moreno is a bust...it just means spiller was the bpa...

many teams use two backs now...

when the vikings drafted AD it didnt mean they thought their free agent prize chester taylor was suddenly a bum...they just couldnt pass up a playmaker like AD...

Steve Sewell
04-16-2010, 09:18 PM
Its funny, Alphonso Smith was the ultimate playmaker in college. Yet many people on this board think he's complete trash now.

Caligula
04-16-2010, 09:23 PM
just because we draft cj spiller that doesnt mean moreno is a bust...it just means spiller was the bpa...

many teams use two backs now...

when the vikings drafted AD it didnt mean they thought their free agent prize chester taylor was suddenly a bum...they just couldnt pass up a playmaker like AD...

That, and the fact that no one thought Chester Taylor as a starting tailback.

baja
04-16-2010, 09:30 PM
Dont know who is listening to what, but Josh said there is no difference in evaluating taking a RB at 11.

And he DID mention Spiller as one of the players they've had in.

In fact, I listened to this interview, and Im thinking, 'every coach thinks about what hes going to say, not say in these positions'. I honestly think he pumped up McClain hoping someone else will take him ahead of them.

<b>When mentioning Spiller, he miscued somewhat. He seemed to get a little nervous. </b>

Spiller is in play, and if hes the top rated guy on the board, they will take him at 11.

IF of course, he was telling the truth when he said they will take the top rated player regardless of position according to their draft board.

Only players not coming off the board for us are going to be tackles at 11.

Good pick up, I noticed that too, Actually I thought it was quite obvious.

If we do not trade down (I think we will) and Spiller is there I think we will take him.

BroncoInferno
04-16-2010, 11:25 PM
The Panthers spent #1 picks on Williams and Stewart, and that looks like a pretty good move. Granted, it wasn't done in back-to-back years, but the fact is the league has shifted to more of a two back or RBBC league. Plus, Spiller is an excellent receiver, so you can have both on the field with Spiller lining up in the slot at times. He is also a superb return man, which we could use. In short, I don't think it's terribly hard to justify selecting Spiller. I want us to beef up the interior OL, but those positions are undervalued so we can get top level guys in the 2nd.

FADERPROOF
04-17-2010, 05:04 AM
The Panthers spent #1 picks on Williams and Stewart, and that looks like a pretty good move. Granted, it wasn't done in back-to-back years, but the fact is the league has shifted to more of a two back or RBBC league. Plus, Spiller is an excellent receiver, so you can have both on the field with Spiller lining up in the slot at times. He is also a superb return man, which we could use. In short, I don't think it's terribly hard to justify selecting Spiller. I want us to beef up the interior OL, but those positions are undervalued so we can get top level guys in the 2nd.

Panthers pretty much had an established team though with players on both sides of the ball, an above average/good offense with a very good defense, I can't say the same for either side of the ball for this Denver Broncos team.

gtown
04-17-2010, 05:09 AM
So you even mentioned Moreno as a possible playmaker and still want Spiller? that honestly makes no sense to say"our 1st round draft pick last year at RB can turn in to a playmaker but I say we grab another RB in the 1st round to see if he can turn into a playmaker as well."

Spiller is not just an RB. He is an RB/WR/KR. It's not apples and oranges.

FADERPROOF
04-17-2010, 05:19 AM
Spiller is not just an RB. He is an RB/WR/KR. It's not apples and oranges.

If he is the great white whale of a RB that some seem to think he is, why would he still be available at pick 11?

Dr. Broncenstein
04-17-2010, 05:28 AM
I would love to take Spiller with the 11th. Sure we have other needs, but we need a guy like Hester / Cribbs / Sproles who can win a game on special teams. Honestly, I doubt he makes it to the 11th pick... but if he does I'd love to draft him. Spend the rest of the draft on the lines.

The MVPlaya
04-17-2010, 05:31 AM
The problem with drafting Spiller is that is narrows the opportunities we have to get a WR in the draft even more since we HAVE, HAVE/WILL, WILL to address to oline/dline.

Dr. Broncenstein
04-17-2010, 05:38 AM
The problem with drafting Spiller is that is narrows the opportunities we have to get a WR in the draft even more since we HAVE, HAVE/WILL, WILL to address to oline/dline.

I'm not convinced that WR is a need, just because we traded Marshall. We have Gaffney, Stokely, Royal, Lloyd, and McKinley as it stands. I think there will be plenty of production from that group.

watermock
04-17-2010, 05:48 AM
Spiller what we need or another fast back or Dez.

God we are going to suck.

watermock
04-17-2010, 05:51 AM
We have Gaffney, Stokely, Royal, Lloyd, and McKinley as it stands. I think there will be plenty of production from that group.

Just wow.

FADERPROOF
04-17-2010, 05:52 AM
I'm not convinced that WR is a need, just because we traded Marshall. We have Gaffney, Stokely, Royal, Lloyd, and McKinley as it stands. I think there will be plenty of production from that group.

Been dipping into my vicodin prescription?

watermock
04-17-2010, 05:54 AM
Orton can deliver the ball on a string.

Dr. Broncenstein
04-17-2010, 05:55 AM
Been dipping into my vicodin prescription?

So without drafting a rookie WR, this group is going nowhere this year? Do you honestly think the FO would trade Marsahll if they didn't believe this group could get it done?

watermock
04-17-2010, 06:00 AM
So without drafting a rookie WR, this group is going nowhere this year? Do you honestly think the FO would trade Marsahll if they didn't believe this group could get it done?

Yes and no.

We don't even have an OL now.

JJ 'arington is our scatback.

watermock
04-17-2010, 06:02 AM
Marshall would of held out.

FADERPROOF
04-17-2010, 06:08 AM

Yes, it was personal between him and McDaniels and needed to be moved regardless that we dont have anyone that can take his place.

Royal is #2 WR, Stokely is a #3 and the rest are well, Gaffney Lloyd and McKinley pretty much just sum it up.

FADERPROOF
04-17-2010, 06:15 AM
Actually more I think about it, drafting Spiller might be the best way to go cause we'll need a great ground game cause the pasing game looks like **** this year.

3 yards and a cloud of dust this year with the wr's and QB(if Orton starts) that we have.

Dr. Broncenstein
04-17-2010, 06:18 AM
Yes, it was personal between him and McDaniels and needed to be moved regardless that we dont have anyone that can take his place.

Royal is #2 WR, Stokely is a #3 and the rest are well, Gaffney Lloyd and McKinley pretty much just sum it up.

Gaffney and Lloyd produced last year when they were asked to do so. I'll never understand the Gaffney hate on this board... that guy is a solid pro. We don't know the first thing about McKinley, except that the FO thinks highly enough of him to spend a draft pick and a roster spot on his development.

Dr. Broncenstein
04-17-2010, 06:20 AM
Actually more I think about it, drafting Spiller might be the best way to go cause we'll need a great ground game cause the pasing game looks like **** this year.

3 yards and a cloud of dust this year with the wr's and QB(if Orton starts) that we have.

Spiller is a recieving threat. In fact, given the nature of our bubble screen game... he may be the best reciever on the board for our offense.

FADERPROOF
04-17-2010, 06:27 AM
Gaffney and Lloyd produced last year when they were asked to do so. I'll never understand the Gaffney hate on this board... that guy is a solid pro. We don't know the first thing about McKinley, except that the FO thinks highly enough of him to spend a draft pick and a roster spot on his development.

Its cause Gaffney has been a journeyman WR that we are expecting to be a starter now(sory but Stokely cant play anything but the slot WR), Lloyd is a journeyman as well and McKinley is so unpolished that we cant assume that he can step in and pick up the slack.

FADERPROOF
04-17-2010, 06:29 AM
Spiller is a recieving threat. In fact, given the nature of our bubble screen game... he may be the best reciever on the board for our offense.

Just curious because I follow college football religiously but not the draft so unsure which college players translate over to the NFL, If the Broncos draft Spiller would he beat Moreno for the starting job, split carries about 50/50 with Moreno or would he mainly be used in the return game and 3rd down back situations?

tsiguy96
04-17-2010, 06:34 AM

gaffney is an above average WR in the NFL, no reason to hate on him because he doesnt have a big name.

WolfpackGuy
04-17-2010, 06:38 AM
Just curious because I follow college football religiously but not the draft so unsure which college players translate over to the NFL, If the Broncos draft Spiller would he beat Moreno for the starting job, split carries about 50/50 with Moreno or would he mainly be used in the return game and 3rd down back situations?

I could see him in sets with Moreno and getting a few carries here and there.

Get him the ball in space and on the edges like MIN does with Harvin.

He would be deadly in the Kevin Faulk role on 3rd downs.

I like Spiller, but I don't think the Broncos should take him or stay at 11.

Dr. Broncenstein
04-17-2010, 06:42 AM

He'd be in a rotation with Moreno and Buckhalter... and eventually replace / upgrade the aging and fragile (but awesome when healthy) Buckhalter. His role this year would be primarily special teams, until Buckhalter inevitably goes down with an injury.

baja
04-17-2010, 06:50 AM
So without drafting a rookie WR, this group is going nowhere this year? Do you honestly think the FO would trade Marshall if they didn't believe this group could get it done?

I'd say trading Marshall was not elective.

Rohirrim
04-17-2010, 06:56 AM
If we don't build the interior Oline, it really won't matter who we have in the backfield.

baja
04-17-2010, 06:56 AM
<b>Yes, it was personal between him and McDaniels and needed to be moved regardless that we dont have anyone that can take his place.</b>

Wish people would stop saying this and that includes the media because it just is not true. Marshall is not here because of the DWill murder that will forever haunt him (needed a change of scene) and the fact Denver was never going to give him all that guaranteed money.

baja
04-17-2010, 06:57 AM
If we don't build the interior Oline, it really won't matter who we have in the backfield.

I don't think it could be any more clear that is Josh's intent.

FADERPROOF
04-17-2010, 06:58 AM
Wish people would stop saying this and that includes the media because it just is not true. Marshall is not here because of the DWill murder that will forever haunt him (needed a change of scene) and the fact Denver was never going to give him all that guaranteed money.

You mean Javon Walker...

Dr. Broncenstein
04-17-2010, 07:00 AM
I'd say trading Marshall was not elective.

I'd say it was. They didn't HAVE to trade the guy. What was he going to do, hold out all year? If the FO really thought his services were mandatory in order to win, they would have either signed him to a long-term deal or tagged him until a suitable replacement was aquired.

watermock
04-17-2010, 07:04 AM
No.

BM was the target.

watermock
04-17-2010, 07:06 AM
I'd say it was. They didn't HAVE to trade the guy. What was he going to do, hold out all year? If the FO really thought his services were mandatory in order to win, they would have either signed him to a long-term deal or tagged him until a suitable replacement was aquired.

buy a clue.

Dr. Broncenstein
04-17-2010, 07:07 AM

Absolutely. But the 11th pick is not for the interior O line... and honestly, I doubt the FO is hoping to find a rookie OG / OC to start from day one. We have to replace the left guard and center. Seth Olsen has to figure into the picture, and there will be a veteran or two available this summer.

baja
04-17-2010, 07:07 AM
You mean Javon Walker...

It is a heavy burden for Walker too but I did mean Marshall.

baja
04-17-2010, 07:10 AM
I'd say it was. They didn't HAVE to trade the guy. What was he going to do, hold out all year? If the FO really thought his services were mandatory in order to win, they would have either signed him to a long-term deal or tagged him until a suitable replacement was acquired.

You are right we could have done that but it would have been very detrimental to the team and rebuilding process. It really was almost a no choice move everything considered. IMO

broncogary
04-17-2010, 07:11 AM
buy a clue.

Dr. Broncenstein, have you ever thought about using mock as the body for your experimental monster?

FADERPROOF
04-17-2010, 07:12 AM
It is a heavy burden for Walker too but I did mean Marshall.

So he produced at an all-pro level for 2 years because of the heavy burden? would really like to see how he plays with his head cleared up...

baja
04-17-2010, 07:16 AM
So he produced at an all-pro level for 2 years because of the heavy burden? would really like to see how he plays with his head cleared up...

They are not mutually exclusive in Marshall's case. I think what you are looking at with both Marshall & Walker are cases of post stress disorder. They both needed to get out to the city where the tragedy happened.

Dr. Broncenstein
04-17-2010, 07:18 AM
Dr. Broncenstein, have you ever thought about using mock as the body for your experimental monster?

You can't make a zombie mock from a zombie mock. It's like dividing by zero... not possible... and even if possible, it would probably unravel the thread of the space-time continuum.

broncogary
04-17-2010, 07:21 AM
You can't make a zombie mock from a zombie mock. It's like dividing by zero... not possible... and even if possible, it would probably unravel the thread of the space-time continuum.

So you mean you already did it? That explains a lot. LOL

FADERPROOF
04-17-2010, 07:51 AM
They are not mutually exclusive in Marshall's case. I think what you are looking at with both Marshall & Walker are cases of post stress disorder. They both needed to get out to the city where the tragedy happened.

This is honestly the first time I've ever heard Marshall being traded linked with the death of Darrent Williams.

You dont trade an all-pro WR for that reason alone if he is still producing.

baja
04-17-2010, 07:59 AM
This is honestly the first time I've ever heard Marshall being traded linked with the death of Darrent Williams.

Well clearly it's not the sole reason but I think it was a bigger factor than is being reported. Did you read the transcript of his testimony?

_Oro_
04-17-2010, 08:06 AM

I hear this all the time on this board.

FADERPROOF
04-17-2010, 09:41 AM
I hear this all the time on this board.

Just got back on board like 2 weeks ago

yerner
04-17-2010, 09:54 AM
I'm not sure Spiller is even there when the Broncos pick. Probably should draft lineman, but in a year or two when Spiller is breaking off 70 yard td's its going to hard to watch if they passed him up.

BroncoInferno
04-17-2010, 10:07 AM
Absolutely. But the 11th pick is not for the interior O line... and honestly, I doubt the FO is hoping to find a rookie OG / OC to start from day one. We have to replace the left guard and center. Seth Olsen has to figure into the picture, and there will be a veteran or two available this summer.

Interior lineman can usually step in pretty quckly. I think they may like Olsen for left guard, but I would be shocked if a center wasn't taken in the first two rounds with the idea of that player starting. Maybe Pouncey in the the 1st (hopefully after a trade down).

yerner
04-17-2010, 10:22 AM
If they plan on using Olsen at guard, they can def. pick up a center in the 2nd. Spiller might not be that bad of a pick if thats the case.