PDA

View Full Version : Who'd You Rather Have, Dez Bryant Or Brandon Marshall?

The MVPlaya
04-16-2010, 07:33 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/379661-whod-you-rather-have-dez-bryant-or-brandon-marshall

The past few weeks have brought some much needed life to the NFL Offseason. The recent trade of Brandon Marshall has been seen as a steal for the Broncos by some and a steal by the Dolphins by others. A good deal of one’s opinion relies on how heavy one values their draft picks. For someone like Daniel Snyder, he’s probably applauding the deal Miami made. Ted Thompson on the other hand would give the advantage to the Broncos. However, with the hit-or-miss draft prospects that the position brings, the question then becomes who is of more value – Brandon Marshall or Dez Bryant?

Having just completed his third straight season of at least 100 receptions, we know Brandon Marshall can play football. He averaged 1,230 yards a season and accumulated 23 TDs over those three years, putting an end to the skeptics about how good he can become. Just ask Jay Cutler, who dropped 9.2 points in QB rating and 900 yards as a result of losing him out wide; or Kyle Orton, who improved by 900 yards and 7.2 points in QB rating. He is seen as a widely regarded as a top five wide receiver in the league today based on his performance on Sundays. However, he drops down a lot of lists in the league who look at the off the field issues that have grown over the years, particularly as a result of the coach-quarterback issues last offseason.

Dez Bryant is viewed as the top WR in this year’s draft. Some scouts compare him to Andre Johnson with his size-speed combination and above average athletic skills. He could easily develop in to the same asset that the Texans have in their offense. However, he could just as easily become the next Charles Rogers. Like Marshall, Bryant also comes with some off the field baggage, highlighted by the suspension for lying to investigators. More so than any other fact, just remember he has yet to catch a pass in the NFL. Period.

Brandon Marshall set the market value of what it takes to acquire a prime time wide receiver. He was traded for two 2nd round picks. One of those two is locked into the 43rd pick of the draft this year while we’ll have to wait and see how well the Dolphins perform next season to see where they’re slotted. For the purpose of the article, let’s say they slightly improve to a .500 record and finish with the 16th best record in the league. That would set the value of those two picks at 880 or 890, depending on what website’s draft value chart you look at. Together, they equal the 18th pick in the draft.

If Bryant were to fall to that pick, the debate would be simple. Would you rather want Brandon Marshall or Dez Bryant on your football team? But pegged as a top-10 talent, ESPN currently has him going #7 to the Browns. If drafted that high, Dez Bryant would be seen as worth Marshall plus a low first round pick. To me that just doesn’t sound right. So the question becomes, is the market setting the right value for these players, is Dez Bryant overrated, or was the Brandon Marshall trade a steal for the Dolphins?

Yes.. it's bleacher report.

No poll coming...obviously.

Archer81
04-16-2010, 07:35 PM
How about neither?

:Broncos:

bombquixote
04-16-2010, 07:42 PM
Could we please all just commit to boycotting bleacher report?

Thank you.

watermock
04-16-2010, 08:13 PM
You tell me, we traded a 2010 pick for a 2009 pick.

Then we traded BM for a 2011 pick. (and 43).

50 million is alot for 4 years min South Beach for a engaged man. 24 guaranteed.

IMO, Beavis is alot better trading of known talent for max value than drafting.

He's done good in FA, but the team is much older on but thats fine.

Anyway, I was amused how people debated trading him for the #6, when I know we would be lucky to recoup the Smith trade.

Beavis is running out of playing cards from '06, lucky he still had them for '10 (altho I think they would of been RFA anyway tilll 2011) with a lockout likely.

2011 is going be contentious after the draft.

Anyway, I think BM would of played for pennies to get out of denver.

Miami is whole diffent gang.

If Beavis screws up this draft reaching like blind bat, with so much talent, it won't matter how clever he was at sports radio or pressers.

Denver has gaping holes on offense.

Parcells and BM married at the hip. Go figure.

broncocalijohn
04-16-2010, 09:56 PM
Why dont you ask this after 4 seasons and compare. How in the hell do I know who i like when Bryant hasnt played one NFL down yet! It isnt like comparing Marcus Nash and Dez Bryant. BM was a pro bowler with mental and physical (beatings) problems.

easymobee
04-16-2010, 10:14 PM
Our chances of aquiring Marshall are very slim, so id settle for bryant.

Tombstone RJ
04-16-2010, 10:17 PM
Why dont you ask this after 4 seasons and compare. How in the hell do I know who i like when Bryant hasnt played one NFL down yet! It isnt like comparing Marcus Nash and Dez Bryant. BM was a pro bowler with mental and physical (beatings) problems.

It doesn't work that way. Hmmm...

RonDaChamp24
04-16-2010, 10:29 PM
I'd rather have Marshall as he's proven, but since he's gone I'll take Dez now.

easymobee
04-16-2010, 10:35 PM
Probably won't happen, but a WR corps of Royal, Bryant, Gaffney, and Stokely is still pretty decent.

RonDaChamp24
04-16-2010, 10:42 PM
Probably won't happen, but a WR corps of Royal, Bryant, Gaffney, and Stokely is still pretty decent.

Well we'd like to think it's decent. There's no such thing as a sure thing in the draft anymore. People thought Ryan Leaf was a can't miss prospect too...

SonOfLe-loLang
04-16-2010, 10:48 PM
Id rather have some 300 lbs in the first round and worry about WR later.

watermock
04-16-2010, 11:07 PM
God.

Easy is
Wow,,,

Conspracy.

BroncoBuff
04-17-2010, 12:22 AM
Parcells and BM married at the hip. Go figure.

I thought that seemed weird too, but then somebody pointed out Parcells has brought in both TO and Keyshawn in the past.

He's a football guy, not a school teacher ... he falls in love with onfield talent.

Bronco CB40
04-17-2010, 12:32 AM
I thought that seemed weird too, but then somebody pointed out Parcells has brought in both TO and Keyshawn in the past.

He's a football guy, not a school teacher ... he falls in love with onfield talent.

Back when Parcells coached the New York Giants, it was the end of practice one day and the Big Tuna blew the whistle and told the team to line up at the goal line for wind sprints. Lawrence Taylor doesn't stop at the goal line with his teammates, he continues to walk off the field towards the locker room.

Parcells says, "L.T. where are you going? It's time for wind sprints!"

L.T. turns around, "I ain't running ****" and continues to walk off the field.

Parcells yells, "That will be a $15,000 fine."

The next day L.T. showed up to practice with a $15,000 check and handed it to Coach Parcells.

OBF1
04-17-2010, 12:33 AM
count me in for the NEITHER vote.