PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Draft Press Conference with Coach McDaniels at 3pm MT today

montrose
04-16-2010, 12:52 PM
104.3 The Fan is carrying it, I'd assume we can get it on DenverBroncos.com too

GoBroncos84
04-16-2010, 01:16 PM
I'll still be at work. Can anyone listen and post a recap?

montrose
04-16-2010, 01:57 PM
I'll still be at work. Can anyone listen and post a recap?

I've got it up at DenverBroncos.com, will post a recap afterwards.

Pseudofool
04-16-2010, 02:04 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=349&videoID=2816&type=broncosTV&year=&month=

Feed is up, though just mumbling now

TheReverend
04-16-2010, 02:04 PM
He's late.

Fire him.

Pseudofool
04-16-2010, 02:07 PM
On now.

TheReverend
04-16-2010, 02:09 PM
"activity and calls back and forth on moving up/down"

pull the trigger and move down.

do it. do it.

Pseudofool
04-16-2010, 02:09 PM
Says there's been calls about moving up or down, says that's something they are interested in.

Says draft is deep. Good spot in first, happy about two seconds.

Says he's excited for Marshall.

TheReverend
04-16-2010, 02:10 PM
"Better chance that he'd trade down"

Pseudofool
04-16-2010, 02:10 PM
Remote chance of moving up. But if there's a player they really like, they might do it.

Florida_Bronco
04-16-2010, 02:11 PM
Mic up the damn reporters!

TheReverend
04-16-2010, 02:11 PM
Five mins in and this presser is amazing.

Don't F this up next week Josh... looks like you've got it set this time.

Pseudofool
04-16-2010, 02:12 PM
Not a fan of drafting for need, but mentions center as an obvious need. Not going out of limb to draft a receiver. Also mentions linebacker as a need.

Pseudofool
04-16-2010, 02:14 PM
On Dez Bryant: don't confuse mistakes with character issues. Never been in trouble with the law. Says he spent a lot of time with Dez this week. He did everything we asked him to do. Smile on his face. "I'll say this, He's on our board"!

ColoradoBuff
04-16-2010, 02:15 PM
i've gotta a feeling......

Pseudofool
04-16-2010, 02:15 PM
On Rolando McClain: "I'm not sure I've met a more intelligent young man when it comes to the game"

gyldenlove
04-16-2010, 02:16 PM
I may as well say it, I will melt down like I did when we chose Cutler if we pick Bryant.

Pseudofool
04-16-2010, 02:16 PM
We need a plan if we are picking at 11. Emphasis on IF.

Florida_Bronco
04-16-2010, 02:17 PM
Five mins in and this presser is amazing.

Don't F this up next week Josh... looks like you've got it set this time.

I agree, but I'm surprised you're optimistic about Josh and the draft. Is the apocalypse coming? ???

:D

Pseudofool
04-16-2010, 02:19 PM
A plan for both picking at 11 and one for trading...

gyldenlove
04-16-2010, 02:20 PM
I would so love to be in that war-room during the draft, I would sign any waiver required.

no-pseudo-fan
04-16-2010, 02:20 PM
We are trading down....He is selling players he likes hard. I am so excited.

Pseudofool
04-16-2010, 02:21 PM
Looks at draft on two year skill. Makes detail predictions of how players fit within our team. Doesn't worry so much about giving players round grades more concerned with articulating how they fit in the team.

Pseudofool
04-16-2010, 02:22 PM
We are trading down....He is selling players he likes hard. I am so excited.That's my take as well. He's talking up how deep the draft is and how there are giong to be lots of studs in teh second round (though he's not being specific with player names, here).

Pseudofool
04-16-2010, 02:25 PM
Has not talked to Bengals. (I missed the question, likely on Sheff).

ColoradoBuff
04-16-2010, 02:27 PM
On Rolando McClain: "I'm not sure I've met a more intelligent young man when it comes to the game"

That right there folks.....meet the newest Denver Bronco!:notworthy

titan
been wasting my time on 104.3 (no coverage - just mike evans and hastings babble) Got it online now. Interesting comments about Dez and McClain.

no-pseudo-fan
Has not talked to Bengals. (I missed the question, likely on Sheff).

Have got lots of calls in regards to Tony, Bengals not one of the those teams

NYBronco
04-16-2010, 02:29 PM

Is he? Could be a Phil Jackson sell job.

gyldenlove
04-16-2010, 02:30 PM
Funny how Ryan Harris had a questionmark on his work ethic but he is one of the first guys in in the morning to work out.

Doggcow
04-16-2010, 02:31 PM
Reporter: Quarterback was something that you were looking at in the draft

McD: IT WAS?!

crush17
04-16-2010, 02:32 PM
giving the reporters the business... love this guy.

TheReverend
04-16-2010, 02:32 PM
I agree, but I'm surprised you're optimistic about Josh and the draft. Is the apocalypse coming? ???

:D

I'm optimistic about this retard constantly, then he does something I disagree with and, well, I disagree with it. Then he wins and I love him. Then he loses and I hate him. It's how it should be.

Pseudofool
04-16-2010, 02:33 PM
There's a funny exchange going on between Josh and some report (I wonder who it is). The reporter keeps making declarative statements without asking questions. Josh is cheerfully annoyed. For instance he lead a question "Before trading for Quinn, you were targeting a QB in this draft..." Josh cuts him off with, "We were? Ok..."

SoDak Bronco
04-16-2010, 02:33 PM
CJ Spiller lovers, McD just shot down the idea of taking a RB early...thank god..I love Spiller but you can't take another RB at 11.

SoDak Bronco
04-16-2010, 02:34 PM
There's a funny exchange going on between Josh and some report (I wonder who it is). The reporter keeps making declarative statements without asking questions. Josh is cheerfully annoyed. For instance he lead a question "Before trading for Quinn, you were targeting a QB in this draft..." Josh cuts him off with, "We were? Ok..."

Mike Klis...Josh is always giving him a hard time.

no-pseudo-fan
04-16-2010, 02:34 PM
Is he? Could be a Phil Jackson sell job.

That is what I am saying. How many times do you here a coach selling a specific rookie by name that hasn't been picked yet?

He wants to trade down, but is willing to choice a guy another team loves.

Broncoman13
04-16-2010, 02:36 PM
On Dez Bryant: don't confuse mistakes with character issues. Never been in trouble with the law. Says he spent a lot of time with Dez this week. He did everything we asked him to do. Smile on his face. "I'll say this, He's on our board"!

Exactly what I've been saying... Exact words even. I am stoked for a shot at Dez!

crush17
04-16-2010, 02:38 PM
Talking about Chron's disease... knows several people who have gone through it, and in fact, McClain DOES have it... says its low risk, no reason not to draft McClain

crush17
04-16-2010, 02:39 PM
Talking about Dan Williams, have evaluated him, likes his athleticism, good guy, could play DE, have worked him out several times, thinks he'll go right around 11

Pseudofool
04-16-2010, 02:39 PM
Lukewarm on Dan Williams. Clearly.

crush17
04-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Woody Paige asking questions... about Tebow... anyone else that gave Josh a wow factor - McD says Weatherspoon was impressive in EVERY way... knowlege of every system, etc

NYBronco
That is what I am saying. How many times do you here a coach selling a specific rookie by name that hasn't been picked yet?

He wants to trade down, but is willing to choice a guy another team loves.

:thumbsup:

Doggcow
Way high on Witherspoon.

ColoradoBuff
04-16-2010, 02:41 PM
Talking about Dan Williams, have evaluated him, likes his athleticism, good guy, could play DE, have worked him out several times, thinks he'll go right around 11

hint hint! I think it's down to 3 if we stay at 11...Dan Williams, McClain or Bryant.

crush17
04-16-2010, 02:41 PM
Loves Tebow. Like, really loves everything about him... doesn't know how far out from being a starter he'd be...

look out....

SoDak Bronco
04-16-2010, 02:42 PM
Lukewarm on Dan Williams. Clearly.

I agree...think thats a good thing, he's not worth the 11th pick IMO.

ColoradoBuff
04-16-2010, 02:43 PM
so Tebow in the 2nd?

Pseudofool
Tebow is everything you've read or written about. Very impressed by him. Talks up numbers. Says his problems are correctable. Really admires his character. One of the smarter players he's ever been around.

You don't rule anything out (on drafting Tebow). Which suggests to me he's not a target or if he is it's not at the top of the draft.

Popps
A lot of coaches talk about intelligence and character in players. You can tell McDaniels really means it.

no-pseudo-fan
04-16-2010, 02:44 PM
hint hint! I think it's down to 3 if we stay at 11...Dan Williams, McClain or Bryant.

Wetherspoon, McClain and Bryant I would say, also mentioned Spiller in case he falls.

gyldenlove
04-16-2010, 02:44 PM
If Mcclain is gone at 11, I am looking for Weatherspoon now.

Durango
04-16-2010, 02:45 PM

Good read on intentions. I agree. Talk up players other teams can't live without and sell them the opportunity at a premium. Hope it works.

ColoradoBuff
04-16-2010, 02:46 PM
Wetherspoon, McClain and Bryant I would say, also mentioned Spiller in case he falls.

isn't that too high for Weatherspoon? was thinking late teens to early 20's for him.

titan
04-16-2010, 02:47 PM
big difference from last year: more time before round 2. (hopefully will prevent an Alphonso Smith type trade this year!)

ColoradoBuff
04-16-2010, 02:47 PM
If Mcclain is gone at 11, I am looking for Weatherspoon now.

he will be gone by 12!:thumbsup:

Pseudofool
04-16-2010, 02:48 PM
Says he's thrilled to have more time to consider his second round selections with the way the draft is now broken up.

ColoradoBuff
04-16-2010, 02:48 PM
we are thrilled too!

montrose
04-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Excited for the process they’ve been going through for a full year. The team has a big head start compared to where they were at last year. The board is mostly set, could be some minor tweaks but mostly ready to go. They have a new grading system this year developed by Brian Xanders and his group. Believe this is a deep draft, excited about having multiple selections in the 2nd round. Already had some calls for moving up or down and there’s going to be some interest on draft day. Just as last year, we’re going to what we believe makes our team better. Pleased with what they received for Brandon Marshall also wish Marshall the best of luck and excited to move forward into the draft. Goal into the offseason was to add competition at any position, the draft is another opportunity to do that. Better chance they’ll move back in the first round than move up but wouldn’t rule trading up completely out of the question. At this point, haven’t received calls to move up – just to move down. Thinks discussing the teams greatest need is overrated and often leads to mistakes. Said they could use players at the Center and Wide Receiver position but that doesn’t mean they’ll draft one. Could use players on the front 7, specifically at LB but again – doesn’t mean they’ll select one. This draft is so deep, may be bringing in 3rd and 4th round players that can contribute immediately. Had Dez Bryant in the other day and has spent a lot of time with him this offseason, says you need to be careful confusing character issues with making a few mistakes. Says Bryant’s never been arrested or had alcohol problems. Enjoyed the visit with Bryant and he did well. Says Bryant is most certainly on our board, some other teams may have taken him off – but the Broncos did not. Still has a relationship with Nick Saban and there a lot of players coming from Alabama that could be selected. Not sure if he’s met a more intelligent young player than Rolando McClain – understands the game far ahead of where other kids will be. Had a lot of great visits, team took full allotment of 30 visits. This draft is so deep, players expected to go in the 1st round could go in the 2nd round. We don’t bring anybody in we don’t have interest in, that doesn’t mean each player is questioned the same. Here they can break down tape with that player and get a feel for why they did what they did. Also put players through the Broncos’ system to see how they can understand it. Doesn’t care if other teams know what players they have in the building, not paranoid about secrecy. Will have a plan to pick at #11 and a plan if they move back. If you have a list of 3-4 players you really want, have to be careful about moving back for extra picks. Grade every player eligible for the draft based on how they fit for the Broncos, doesn’t matter what other teams think of this player – don’t project where guys will go in the draft. Project players on a 2-year projection because players have so much to learn in their rookie year. In grading players for how they fit on the team, could be 2nd year starter, key backup, special teams player, etc. Xanders has done a great job getting the scouts ready to go on the team’s system. Thinks the board will look a little fuller than last year. Not sure what’s going to happen with Scheffler, some teams have called but nothing is imminent. He has signed his tender, we’ll see what happens – no timeline or concrete decision has been made. They have not talked to the Bengals about Scheffler. Thrilled with Elvis Dumervil’s season last year, he stays in touch with Wink Martindale. The uncertainty of the CBA is affecting teams. Totally understands Dumervil’s situation and respects his decisions. Everyone loves Dumervil in this building and the situation is tough for everyone. Team builds toughness in training camp, not sure right now if team is tough enough to play the way they need to do. The offseason program is going great, it’s been changed and the players have embraced it. Need to get more mentally tough and better and bouncing back. In drafting an OL, need to make a choice of where the guy can fit. Would love to add a guy inside on the OL to add competition. Feel comfortable with OTs, Harris injury was unfortunate but his rehab is going well to get him ready to go for this season. With OTs, a run happens early and runs out quickly. Right now, feel comfortable with two starters but we’ll see how the draft goes but probably not a spot to go early in the draft. Talked to a number of QBs at the combine, Tebow was in the other day. If there’s a player you feel good about, probably won’t turn head away even though we have 3 QBs we really like, but not going to overlook a position. JJ Arrington is working hard to get himself back to where he was a year ago, excited about where he’s out. Says taking a RB high isn’t on their radar. Like the young RBs they have, Hall and Ball. Says Gerhard, Hardesty and Spiller were in. If it’s the right situation for your team, you don’t know who will be there in the later rounds. Doesn’t think DL may be a spot they have to attack early because they have such a nice mix of the experience they brought in to go with the young players behind that have experience – Fields, McBean, Smith and Thomas. They could go DL in the 1st two days because there is depth but that player has to be an upgrade over what’s available and what’s the tradeoff on passing a guy at another spot. Overall, you never overlook a great player in the front 7. Trying to build a team that can compete for championships that can win several ways. Talked about McClain’s illness, said that’s not a reason to not draft him, the medical staff would handle it. Dan Williams has a play radius larger than most NTs, could even play DE he’s so athletic. Good kid, have a good visit and workout – need to watch why he had one year of production. Should go around our pick and a player we’re considering. When asked to name a player that wowed them, Sean Witherspoon was a player that was very impressive and bright. Also says McClain and Williams. Says Tebow is every bit the person you’ve seen or read about. Says Clausen is a good kid, talked to him a bit at the combine and know him though similar parties at ND. No question Tebow is a QB, only negative at his tape was dipping the ball and since it looks like he’s corrected it – will get better with repetition. You don’t rule any player out, especially with one with the qualities Tebow brings. McD now has 1 year of experience in this position and can see how they’ve done things, they have their own way of doing things – not based on where he came from. Tweaked the offseason program considerably, how their running their staff in the offseason. Last year McD was in almost all Offensive and Defensive meetings in the offseason, not as much this year. Xanders has done so much in FA and the draft, was much smoother this year. Draft day won’t be much different than last year except for the break between day 1 and day 2. They have a budget as any year, but have never made a move based on money.

Memento
04-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Is all of this smoke-and-mirrors, or maybe reverse smoke-and-mirrors? Hmm.

crush17
04-16-2010, 02:50 PM
And its over.

Les Shapiro made an ass of himself. lol

no-pseudo-fan
04-16-2010, 02:50 PM
isn't that too high for Weatherspoon? was thinking late teens to early 20's for him.

I heard that NY G love him. they pick 15.

Pseudofool
04-16-2010, 02:51 PM
Sounds like he wants to acquire an oodle of picks by trading back. I'm sure this is aided by really liking Weatherspoon, who should be available in the 20s.

baja
04-16-2010, 02:51 PM

He's baiting his old boss

baja
04-16-2010, 02:53 PM

I got that too.

Pseudofool
04-16-2010, 02:54 PM
He's baiting his old bossWell the way he talked up McClain and Bryant it sure seems he's going to be holding an auction if either are available at 11.

baja
04-16-2010, 02:56 PM
CJ Spiller lovers, McD just shot down the idea of taking a RB early...thank god..I love Spiller but you can't take another RB at 11.

Maybe that means we are taking him...

SonOfLe-loLang
04-16-2010, 02:57 PM
Give me Spoon over McClain. I guarantee that guy is a good player

baja
04-16-2010, 02:59 PM
A lot of coaches talk about intelligence and character in players. You can tell McDaniels really means it.

Or he is a master baiter.

s0phr0syne
04-16-2010, 03:09 PM
Excited for the process they’ve been going through for a full year. The team has a big head start compared to where they were at last year. The board is mostly set, could be some minor tweaks but mostly ready to go. They have a new grading system this year developed by Brian Xanders and his group. Believe this is a deep draft, excited about having multiple selections in the 2nd round. Already had some calls for moving up or down and there’s going to be some interest on draft day. Just as last year, we’re going to what we believe makes our team better. Pleased with what they received for Brandon Marshall also wish Marshall the best of luck and excited to move forward into the draft. Goal into the offseason was to add competition at any position, the draft is another opportunity to do that. Better chance they’ll move back in the first round than move up but wouldn’t rule trading up completely out of the question. At this point, haven’t received calls to move up – just to move down. Thinks discussing the teams greatest need is overrated and often leads to mistakes. Said they could use players at the Center and Wide Receiver position but that doesn’t mean they’ll draft one. Could use players on the front 7, specifically at LB but again – doesn’t mean they’ll select one. This draft is so deep, may be bringing in 3rd and 4th round players that can contribute immediately. Had Dez Bryant in the other day and has spent a lot of time with him this offseason, says you need to be careful confusing character issues with making a few mistakes. Says Bryant’s never been arrested or had alcohol problems. Enjoyed the visit with Bryant and he did well. Says Bryant is most certainly on our board, some other teams may have taken him off – but the Broncos did not. Still has a relationship with Nick Saban and there a lot of players coming from Alabama that could be selected. Not sure if he’s met a more intelligent young player than Rolando McClain – understands the game far ahead of where other kids will be. Had a lot of great visits, team took full allotment of 30 visits. This draft is so deep, players expected to go in the 1st round could go in the 2nd round. We don’t bring anybody in we don’t have interest in, that doesn’t mean each player is questioned the same. Here they can break down tape with that player and get a feel for why they did what they did. Also put players through the Broncos’ system to see how they can understand it. Doesn’t care if other teams know what players they have in the building, not paranoid about secrecy. Will have a plan to pick at #11 and a plan if they move back. If you have a list of 3-4 players you really want, have to be careful about moving back for extra picks. Grade every player eligible for the draft based on how they fit for the Broncos, doesn’t matter what other teams think of this player – don’t project where guys will go in the draft. Project players on a 2-year projection because players have so much to learn in their rookie year. In grading players for how they fit on the team, could be 2nd year starter, key backup, special teams player, etc. Xanders has done a great job getting the scouts ready to go on the team’s system. Thinks the board will look a little fuller than last year. Not sure what’s going to happen with Scheffler, some teams have called but nothing is imminent. He has signed his tender, we’ll see what happens – no timeline or concrete decision has been made. They have not talked to the Bengals about Scheffler. Thrilled with Elvis Dumervil’s season last year, he stays in touch with Wink Martindale. The uncertainty of the CBA is affecting teams. Totally understands Dumervil’s situation and respects his decisions. Everyone loves Dumervil in this building and the situation is tough for everyone. Team builds toughness in training camp, not sure right now if team is tough enough to play the way they need to do. The offseason program is going great, it’s been changed and the players have embraced it. Need to get more mentally tough and better and bouncing back. In drafting an OL, need to make a choice of where the guy can fit. Would love to add a guy inside on the OL to add competition. Feel comfortable with OTs, Harris injury was unfortunate but his rehab is going well to get him ready to go for this season. With OTs, a run happens early and runs out quickly. Right now, feel comfortable with two starters but we’ll see how the draft goes but probably not a spot to go early in the draft. Talked to a number of QBs at the combine, Tebow was in the other day. If there’s a player you feel good about, probably won’t turn head away even though we have 3 QBs we really like, but not going to overlook a position. JJ Arrington is working hard to get himself back to where he was a year ago, excited about where he’s out. Says taking a RB high isn’t on their radar. Like the young RBs they have, Hall and Ball. Says Gerhard, Hardesty and Spiller were in. If it’s the right situation for your team, you don’t know who will be there in the later rounds. Doesn’t think DL may be a spot they have to attack early because they have such a nice mix of the experience they brought in to go with the young players behind that have experience – Fields, McBean, Smith and Thomas. They could go DL in the 1st two days because there is depth but that player has to be an upgrade over what’s available and what’s the tradeoff on passing a guy at another spot. Overall, you never overlook a great player in the front 7. Trying to build a team that can compete for championships that can win several ways. Talked about McClain’s illness, said that’s not a reason to not draft him, the medical staff would handle it. Dan Williams has a play radius larger than most NTs, could even play DE he’s so athletic. Good kid, have a good visit and workout – need to watch why he had one year of production. Should go around our pick and a player we’re considering. When asked to name a player that wowed them, Sean Witherspoon was a player that was very impressive and bright. Also says McClain and Williams. Says Tebow is every bit the person you’ve seen or read about. Says Clausen is a good kid, talked to him a bit at the combine and know him though similar parties at ND. No question Tebow is a QB, only negative at his tape was dipping the ball and since it looks like he’s corrected it – will get better with repetition. You don’t rule any player out, especially with one with the qualities Tebow brings. McD now has 1 year of experience in this position and can see how they’ve done things, they have their own way of doing things – not based on where he came from. Tweaked the offseason program considerably, how their running their staff in the offseason. Last year McD was in almost all Offensive and Defensive meetings in the offseason, not as much this year. Xanders has done so much in FA and the draft, was much smoother this year. Draft day won’t be much different than last year except for the break between day 1 and day 2. They have a budget as any year, but have never made a move based on money.

You know how I know that I'm part of the ADD generation?

baja
04-16-2010, 03:09 PM

Dude that's a hell of an effort. Kudos

crush17
04-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Thank you Montrose. Great recap, got everything.

NFLBRONCO
04-16-2010, 03:12 PM
Les Shapiro is still around? Where?

crush17
04-16-2010, 03:14 PM
Yeah man, he hosts a radio show every morning on AM 1510 with Jim Armstrong.

Talk about painful to listen to...

ColoradoBuff
04-16-2010, 03:14 PM
great work Montrose!

ColoradoBuff
04-16-2010, 03:18 PM
And its over.

Les Shapiro made an ass of himself. lol

let's hear what the ol Les-meister did!

NFLBRONCO
04-16-2010, 03:19 PM
Yeah man, he hosts a radio show every morning on AM 1510 with Jim Armstrong.

Talk about painful to listen to...

Thanks I'm glad I don't have to listen to him.

Wow finally 5,000 on this site.

The MVPlaya
04-16-2010, 03:21 PM
Reporter: Quarterback was something that you were looking at in the draft

McD: IT WAS?!

I don't think McDaniels likes Woody.

baja
04-16-2010, 03:24 PM
Thanks I'm glad I don't have to listen to him.

Wow finally 5,000 on this site.

and all good posts - congrats NFl ;D

montrose
04-16-2010, 03:27 PM
Man f the haters, I freaking love our coach.

LonghornBronco
04-16-2010, 03:28 PM
Woody should have said... "Thats what your boss said"

NFLBRONCO
04-16-2010, 03:31 PM
and all good posts - congrats NFl ;D

Thanks Baja (Spiller 2010):~ohyah!:

cabronco
04-16-2010, 03:36 PM
Thanks for that write up Montrose ! Im so hoping we find a partner so we can trade back. There's alot of talented players in this draft. I think we can get some real good players in positions of need w/ a possible luxury pick too. Im thinking we try and get, G, C, wr, ILb, DT, possible RB and or qb.

Broncoman13
04-16-2010, 03:51 PM
We are drafting Dez Bryant!

maher_tyler
04-16-2010, 03:52 PM
Thanks for that write up Montrose ! Im so hoping we find a partner so we can trade back. There's alot of talented players in this draft. I think we can get some real good players in positions of need w/ a possible luxury pick too. Im thinking we try and get, G, C, wr, ILb, DT, possible RB and or qb.

Other than Bryant i don't think there is any other player we would take there...if we don't take him at 11, i think we trade back into the mid 20's and pick up another 2nd!! Either way, i'm excited for this draft!!

Pseudofool
04-16-2010, 03:58 PM
Man f the haters, I freaking love our coach.
It's amazing a year later how much more charming McDaniels is. He shows an interpersonal savvyness now that I thought was beyond him last year. I've always appreciated his intelligence and articulateness, but the ease with which he's handling himself these days give me confidence in the ability to handle people/personnel.

Paladin
04-16-2010, 04:19 PM
The writers have fallen into the trap of looking for the glamour positions. I would think they would be more attentive to the fact that McD is not dissatisfied with Orton, and he just got the "young QB" in Quinn that Bowlen predicted. Reporters do not know better than the coaches. Period. And Klis least of all.....

I think he kept all his options open. That frustrates the h3ll out of the media types who want to print the "real story", but they have no clue. I blame most of the forst year problems on the media hounds.

Note he said that Dez did not have alcohol problems. Was that a smack at Cutler and Sheffler. Both were known to celebrate John Barleycorn day a time or three.......

baja
04-16-2010, 04:22 PM
maybe he was talking about Pat Bowlen

Cito Pelon
04-16-2010, 05:05 PM
Jeez, Montrose, you were ON. Nice. Thanks.

rmsanger
04-16-2010, 05:29 PM
Montrose you're full of win my man!

Harvitz81
04-16-2010, 06:05 PM
We are drafting Dez Bryant!

I actually wouldn't rule bryant out as McD said he doesn't have the off the field incidents such as alcohol, weed, or getting arrested. It is all the DEon sanders stuff. However, he does have questionable work ethic and might rely on his natural talent too much and may need constant coaching attention in that area.

The more stuff I read however, the more I feel that we are going to take Pouncey at 11. I know, it is way too high for a center. But, if McD and Xanders feel that he is going to be a 10 year starter and multiple probowler with a low bust rate, then really is 11 too high for that type of player. Given our past 1st round busts, I would be ecstatic for that type of player. But, I've also read a lot of stuff questioning whether he can make the line calls from day 1. After reading Peter Kigns article that came out today though, he says that there are a half dozen teams considering Pouncey around the 15 mark, so 11 might not be too high.

I can't wait for this freaking draft!

11 - Pouncey
43 - Damien Williams
45 - Jon Asamoah
80 - jacoby Ford

that could be a good start...

dsmoot
04-16-2010, 06:17 PM
It's amazing a year later how much more charming McDaniels is. He shows an interpersonal savvyness now that I thought was beyond him last year. I've always appreciated his intelligence and articulateness, but the ease with which he's handling himself these days give me confidence in the ability to handle people/personnel.

He certainly didn't learn that it New England. BB is the master of one syllable answers. He is absolutely wonderful after a loss.

baja
04-16-2010, 06:36 PM
I actually wouldn't rule bryant out as McD said he doesn't have the off the field incidents such as alcohol, weed, or getting arrested. It is all the DEon sanders stuff. However, he does have questionable work ethic and might rely on his natural talent too much and may need constant coaching attention in that area.

The more stuff I read however, the more I feel that we are going to take Pouncey at 11. I know, it is way too high for a center. But, if McD and Xanders feel that he is going to be a 10 year starter and multiple probowler with a low bust rate, then really is 11 too high for that type of player. Given our past 1st round busts, I would be ecstatic for that type of player. But, I've also read a lot of stuff questioning whether he can make the line calls from day 1. After reading Peter Kigns article that came out today though, he says that there are a half dozen teams considering Pouncey around the 15 mark, so 11 might not be too high.

I can't wait for this freaking draft!

11 - Pouncey
43 - Damien Williams
45 - Jon Asamoah
80 - jacoby Ford

that could be a good start...

One thing I think we can count on is with Mike gone we won't see picks coming out of left field trying to out smart everyone else so you will be known as "The Mastermind".

BlueCrusher
04-16-2010, 06:37 PM
Dude that's a hell of an effort. Kudos

Yeah thanks Baja!

Bigdawg26
04-16-2010, 06:38 PM

This quote says it all. We are going to draft McClain because McDaniels love smart and high character guys and thats exactly what McClain is.

BlueCrusher
04-16-2010, 06:50 PM
You gotta love the smoke screens. McD earnes some respect with this press conference with me. I'd bet my house(negative) that he drafts a...

Hercules Rockefeller
04-16-2010, 08:35 PM
They're just in a great spot this year.

For the most part the guys slated to go higher than 11th will either cost to much to acquire (Bradford, Suh, McCoy), or aren't a need position (the OTs, any 4-3 DL or 3-4 OLB, and Spiller is right around 11th).

Guys you would assume would probably fit positionally and needwise: Williams, McClain, and Bryant will probaby all be there.

Decent chance if someone falls, it won't be at one of their need positions, and they can move down a few spots and still snag one of their three.

If they want to move down even further it'll put them into the Iupati/Pouncey-tier, along with 'Spoon and Odrick.

I think they move down once, if not twice on Thursday.

JCMElway
04-16-2010, 08:46 PM
man f the haters, i freaking love our coach.

qft!

SoDak Bronco
04-16-2010, 09:19 PM
ROLONDO MCCLAIN at 11 take it to the bank.