PDA

View Full Version : Heading into next week's draft, what position most desperately needs upgrading?

montrose
04-15-2010, 10:19 PM
Poll coming.

NFLBRONCO
04-15-2010, 10:20 PM
C/G and not far behind WR. Please Josh trade down

Archer81
04-15-2010, 10:21 PM
OG
C
DE
DT

:Broncos:

baja
04-15-2010, 10:23 PM
C/G by a mile

SonOfLe-loLang
04-15-2010, 10:28 PM
Interior linemen, interior linemen, interior linemen. Offense and D honestly

TheDave
04-15-2010, 10:28 PM
1. C/gaurd
2. Wr
3. Ilb
4. Nt
5. Qb

Durango
04-15-2010, 10:30 PM
I can't take my vote back, but you're right, it really is center and guard. Even so, the best talent still on the boards at 11 may be an ILB. If we can't move down, McClain would seem to be a safe choice.

Taco John
04-15-2010, 10:35 PM
DO IT!!!

http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/MIupati.jpg

montrose
04-15-2010, 10:43 PM
I look at it this way, the weakest starting players if the season started today would be Hochstein, Olsen, Lloyd and Haggan. Amongst that group, I'd trust the latter two far more than the first two and considering I value OL more than WR or LB - it's an easy one for me. Beyond that, we have positions with stop-gappers (WR, LB), no depth (OT, TE) and aging talent (DL, DB). There's really no position we couldn't use help, there's no banger or burner at RB, and the QB position is so critical another arm to push Orton, Quinn and Brandstater wouldn't hurt either. Because of these holes, I don't think the Broncos could make a pick in the upcoming draft that wouldn't help (assuming the player is good of course!) but right now their interior OL is so weak I'm not sure if the team can compete over the course of a 16 game season.

OBF1
04-16-2010, 12:49 AM
O-Line hands down.

I keep trying to figure out how we can get 2 of the following players in the draft.

Iupati
Pouncey
Ducasse

Houshyamama
04-16-2010, 01:46 AM
WR then C/G.

You're kidding yourself if you think we can get by with Royal/Gaffney

Elway777
04-16-2010, 02:24 AM
If the Broncos draft for need then Pauncey is first on the Broncos draft board.

tsiguy96
04-16-2010, 03:26 AM
O-Line hands down.

I keep trying to figure out how we can get 2 of the following players in the draft.

Iupati
Pouncey
Ducasse

the more i hear about iupati the less i like him. the last 2 would be cool.

1. pouncey
2a. benn
2b. ducasse

would be nice. kind of ignoring the defense, but to set the oline for years like that would be nice, and the defense has players on it that will be there for a few more years which buys us time to add depth.

WolfpackGuy
04-16-2010, 05:13 AM
NT, Center, and Guard

I hope the defense can play its ass off because the offense is going to be cover your eyes bad.

chrisp
04-16-2010, 05:40 AM
I voted ILB but I was torn over that and interior O-line .....probably the options we currently have at ILB are serviceable, but on a 3-4 defense you need stars at linebacker not mediocrities, and I don't think we have enough of the former yet. For the interior O-line you don't necesarily need to burn high draft picks to get quality starters...

However whilst we need 1 or 2 quality starters on the interior O-line we do also need depth at OT. Harris is injury-prone and the backups are pure garbage. Particularly now that we're transitioning away from the zone-blocking scheme to more of a power scheme, we may need to consider rotating players more than we usually do as well.

At WR the depth is OK but we're lacking a true threat now so we may need to consider burning a high pick on a WR (probably one of the seconds)

TheReverend
04-16-2010, 05:42 AM
DO IT!!!

Count me on board with this as the draft inches closer.

Attempt to trade down, but if we can't, just take him, and then go after a guy like Daryl Washington who fits what we'd be asking him to do next to DJ better than McClain in the first place. The other second can go to Tim Tebow so we have plenty to talk about ;D

Lolad
04-16-2010, 05:48 AM
O-Line hands down.

Iupati
Pouncey
Ducasse

You take whichever one you think will move off the board with #11 (If we can't trade back a few spots) You package our 2nd rd picks and move back in the 1st rd and grab the other.

oubronco
04-16-2010, 06:29 AM
Where's the head coach option :~ohyah!:

jhns
04-16-2010, 06:36 AM
QB and C. We don't have starting quality players at either. I voted QB since that is far more important.

cmhargrove
04-16-2010, 06:43 AM
DO IT!!!

I like me some I-yoo-potty too, but we might do just as well to pick someone who can play Guard and Tackle. If Trent Williams falls to #11, he seems like the best value to me.

If not, John Jerry in the second round might be just as good as Iupati. I like seeing the guys that have also "successfuly" played Tackle, and Iupati was horrrrrrrible when he changed positions at the Senior Bowl. Still, I wouldn't be pissed if we took him.

Ray Finkle
04-16-2010, 06:45 AM
DO IT!!!

I like the fact that he covers to areas of need. OG and if Harris goes down, he can kick out to RT.

I think the areas of need are
OL-OG/C
DL-Still need a NT to groom
ILB
WR

Drek
04-16-2010, 06:54 AM
I voted ILB but I was torn over that and interior O-line .....probably the options we currently have at ILB are serviceable, but on a 3-4 defense you need stars at linebacker not mediocrities, and I don't think we have enough of the former yet. For the interior O-line you don't necesarily need to burn high draft picks to get quality starters...

You do not need four stars at the LB spots in a 3-4.

In fact, the gap we're looking to fill in the 3-4 right now, SILB, is only going to be a two down player for us at least initially.

Haggans has excellent size and is naturally an inside backer. Spencer Larsen showed a lot of the skills you need to be an SILB in his limited time at LB (primarily the ability to move through traffic and stand a guard up and seal gaps). We've got two solid options there already.

The only way we should look ILB in the first two rounds is if the staff thinks McClain is really an elite ILB, then by all means take him, but if not then wait on a Brandon Spikes or some other later round value selection.

ColoradoBuff
04-16-2010, 07:28 AM
ILB....that's why we need McClain @ 11. Nothing against Haggan, Woodyard or Larsen, but we need McClain.

Dukes
04-16-2010, 07:29 AM
WR then C/G.

Won't do any good to have Bryant if Orton/Quinn has 1 second to throw

cmhargrove
04-16-2010, 07:30 AM
I like the fact that he covers to areas of need. OG and if Harris goes down, he can kick out to RT.

I think the areas of need are
OL-OG/C
DL-Still need a NT to groom
ILB
WR

Did you watch the Senior Bowl?

Don't draft Iupati to play Tackle, just don't do it. He could be an awesome, bone crushing Guard, but the guy would take a few years to learn the Tackle position, and he still mmight not be that good at it. He's a Guard, and should be drafted as one. Or else just take anything more than a three step drop out of the playbook.

Garcia Bronco
04-16-2010, 07:31 AM
It's center.

cmhargrove
04-16-2010, 07:34 AM
ILB....that's why we need McClain @ 11. Nothing against Haggan, Woodyard or Larsen, but we need McClain.

I'm not being abrasive here, because I didn't really watch Alabama football, but why exactly do you like McClain? I haven't seeen a single video that impressed me. I'm sure he could be developed into a very good pro (and i'll probably eat my words in 2-3 years), but what exactly do you like about him?

I don't see speed, he doesn't hit tremendously hard, and he almost never had to take on O-linemen in college. He got to roam free and grab people. I watch the highlights of Spikes and think he will be a much better pro than McClain. I think he could improve our team as a rookie starter, and be had in the second round.

Tell me why i'm wrong and i'll listen.

Ray Finkle
04-16-2010, 07:38 AM
Did you watch the Senior Bowl?

Don't draft Iupati to play Tackle, just don't do it. He could be an awesome, bone crushing Guard, but the guy would take a few years to learn the Tackle position, and he still mmight not be that good at it. He's a Guard, and should be drafted as one. Or else just take anything more than a three step drop out of the playbook.

I did....that is why I say he is insurance if Harris goes down again. He is better there then what we have no as a back up. I hope Buluga drops till 11.

TheReverend
04-16-2010, 07:44 AM
This guy must feel extremely jinxed:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/member.php?u=8970

TotallyScrewed
04-16-2010, 07:50 AM
C/G by a mile

I agree.

It seems I'm always saying get better linemen, both sides of the ball, and yet that's seldom the focus early in the draft for any team. I must be nuts.

But like you, I think that guard and center problems hurt Denver huge (and not just last year).

DBroncos4life
04-16-2010, 07:52 AM
No proven starters at the LG, C, and ILB. The WR core is pretty weak as well. It's a four way tie between those positions. I don't care what anyone says the better player at 11 will be Dez Bryant.

gyldenlove
04-16-2010, 07:53 AM
G/C by a mile.

If Mcdaniels thought the WR position was so weak he could have and would have kept Marshall.

DBroncos4life
04-16-2010, 07:59 AM
G/C by a mile.

If Mcdaniels thought the WR position was so weak he could have and would have kept Marshall.

Right I guess you couldn't say the same about Hamilton or Wiegmann right? Marshall leaving has nothing to do with how McD thinks about that WR core otherwise we wouldn't have worked out 9 WR's for the draft to 4 centers and 1 guard.

maher_tyler
04-16-2010, 08:01 AM
No proven starters at the LG, C, and ILB. The WR core is pretty weak as well. It's a four way tie between those positions. I don't care what anyone says the better player at 11 will be Dez Bryant.

Yep..which is why, if we don't trade down, we take him!

Dagmar
04-16-2010, 08:03 AM
This guy must feel extremely jinxed:

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/member.php?u=8970

http://i39.tinypic.com/2zef2gn.gif

I mean lol

gyldenlove
04-16-2010, 08:10 AM
Right I guess you couldn't say the same about Hamilton or Wiegmann right? Marshall leaving has nothing to do with how McD thinks about that WR core otherwise we wouldn't have worked out 9 WR's for the draft to 4 centers and 1 guard.

Yes, because Hamilton and Wiegman are definitely just as good as Marshall is, what the hell are you trying to say? Did you watch football last year at all or do you just find you have a hard time keeping awake if you don't post random nonsense?

Mcdaniels does what is best for the team, he has always said so, so we have to believe it. If trading Marshall wasn't good for the team he wouldn't have done so.

cartel
04-16-2010, 08:14 AM
G/C (Iupati or Pouncey) if traded back from #11
WR 2nd (Benn)
ILB 2nd (Spikes) too high?

ScottXray
04-16-2010, 08:15 AM
I put Center/Guard .. Interior offensive line is our biggest need.
And we need both so two higher picks there.

The only problem we have is that no rookie center is going to start
right away, so look for a year or two playing behind someone else
and that is going to hurt our Offense this year. If McD wants an impact player with his first pick he may go for a skill position first like WR or RB, but a great ILB can have an impact right away.

After O line that I would go for an ILB. Followed by WR/TE or NT/DE
Then its a toss up but CB, RB. By then wer'e in that late rounds though.
Might see a QB but we have three. If we draft one, someone currently on the roster isn't in the future...can't afford to waste the late round picks either, so UFA there.

DBroncos4life
04-16-2010, 08:21 AM
Yes, because Hamilton and Wiegman are definitely just as good as Marshall is, what the hell are you trying to say? Did you watch football last year at all or do you just find you have a hard time keeping awake if you don't post random nonsense?

Mcdaniels does what is best for the team, he has always said so, so we have to believe it. If trading Marshall wasn't good for the team he wouldn't have done so.

Why wouldn't the same apply for Hamilton and Wiegmann? Team really could use the depth. I guess McD must feel like we have enough depth on the team to go into camp with what we have now. They have already came out and said that they are comfortable with Olsen as well. It sounds like they are going to give him a chance to compete at C.

I might add did you watch our team last year? Did you not see the distraction that Marshall was causing? If you really think that Marshall leaving has ANYTHING to do with how McD feels about the WR core then you very wrong.

Like I said we have worked out almost TWICE as many WR's to OGs/C. I think that should give you a pretty good clue just to how much faith McD has in our WR core.

Really I'm just baffled that you think that Marshall being traded away has more to do with quality of our WR's vs getting Marshall the distraction off our team.

Hamrob
04-16-2010, 08:26 AM
O-Line hands down.

Iupati
Pouncey
Ducasse I don't think we need 2...just one...Pouncey. I think Olsen and Kuper are solidat guard. We need our center and Pouncey is the best in the draft.

Old Dude
04-16-2010, 08:29 AM
It's center.

I agree, that's the biggest need right now. Who in the heck is playing center right now, anyway?

Doesn't necessarily have to be addressed via the draft. We could go to free agency. And even if it is addressed through the draft, I doubt they will burn the 11th pick on that position. But somehow it has got to be dealt with.

Once we get past that issue, I think it's just a question of where we get the biggest bang for the buck.

OG is a big concern, but do we spend a 1st round pick on a guard? Seems like this is a position that Denver ought to be able to fill with an experienced free agent. I don't think we need a superstar, but we definitely need some size and competence.

Inside Linebacker is a big issue, which is why I think a lot of people have us taking McClain. But does is this dude healthy or not? I don't know, and I'm still reading conflicting stories about that.

The QB situation isn't great. Orton has his limitations. Quinn hasn't had any success n the pros. You can win a superbowl without a top notch QB, but not very often. And even less nowadays with all the rules designed to inflate the passing game. But almost any QB we draft is going to be a project player and we will suck for at least two years. Will McD even be here three years from now if Denver hasn't become a contender?

ColoradoDarin
04-16-2010, 08:31 AM
1. Guard. I think we've got our Center on the roster already. We need depth all along the line though.
2. ILB - I'm not sold on McClain at all.
3. RB - Depth needed, especially if we're going to be pounding the rock next year.
4. WR - We just have to make up the difference in the dropoff from Marshall to Gaffney, which I don't think is that great anyways considering the number of passes thrown his way.
5. Overall Depth - Give me BPAs!

Hamrob
04-16-2010, 08:31 AM
McClain
Pouncy
Gilyard - Fast, great hands, good route runner and ultra talented!

Find a way McD!

baja
04-16-2010, 08:33 AM
I'll be dissapointed if we take a QB any sooner that the 6th round. Just say no to Tebow.

Hamrob
04-16-2010, 08:33 AM
If not Pouncey in the 1st...then Tennant in the 2nd or Walton in the 3rd!

Paladin
04-16-2010, 08:34 AM
OG
C
DE
DT

:Broncos:

I think you need to include an ILB to replace Davis.....

baja
04-16-2010, 08:42 AM

In defense of the Josh haters I am sure McD does what he believes is for the good of the team it remains to be seen if he is right. I believe Josh is building a hell of a team that because of the way it is built we remain elite for years. but we can't know that for sure yet.

NFLBRONCO
04-16-2010, 08:51 AM
If we picked at 17 I'd say fill C/G positions but, at 11 NO. I'd rather go DL then McClain at 11 if we go D. I do realize Josh isn't afraid to reach so a G at 11 wouldn't shock me either.

I'd be ok with McClain pick but, not thrilled.

DBroncos4life
04-16-2010, 09:10 AM
In defense of the Josh haters I am sure McD does what he believes is for the good of the team it remains to be seen if he is right. I believe Josh is building a hell of a team that because of the way it is built we remain elite for years. but we can't know that for sure yet.

I believe that building through the draft is the right way to build a team. I can understand why he wants picks. Last year pissed me off though. We knew that there was no way he had enough time to evaluate what he had here in Denver to make the switch to a 3-4 and prepare for the draft in the time that he had. To trade a pick a future pick without knowing what you did and didn't have on your team was foolish regardless of how high you have that player ranked.

Hopefully this year will be better because of the time that he had to evaluate players.

cmhargrove
04-16-2010, 09:32 AM
Once again, I like Iupati at LG, but he's not really a "great value" at 11.

Really, really struggles with pass pro and change of position - even just from LG to RG.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a1I9VDf1bFI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a1I9VDf1bFI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Lolad
04-16-2010, 09:48 AM
Once again, I like Iupati at LG, but he's not really a "great value" at 11.

Really, really struggles with pass pro and change of position - even just from LG to RG.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/a1I9VDf1bFI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/a1I9VDf1bFI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

after watching Iupati holds a lot. I'm not sure if he can handle fast DT's

ScottXray
04-16-2010, 09:56 AM
after watching Iupati holds a lot. I'm not sure if he can handle fast DT's

After watching that I'm not sure why he would even be rated as a second rounder. Or even higher than 5th. I assume this was a bad game, but it was NOT impressive.

azbroncfan
04-16-2010, 09:56 AM
Trenches both sides, LB, WR, S, Backup RB.

Steve Sewell
04-16-2010, 09:57 AM
I don't think we need 2...just one...Pouncey. I think Olsen and Kuper are solidat guard. We need our center and Pouncey is the best in the draft.

Yep, center is one of the most underrated and important positions on the offensive side of the ball. Moving down a few spots, maybe picking up another third rounder and drafting Pouncey would be a god send. It would solidify the o-line for many years to come.

Fusionfrontman
04-16-2010, 10:15 AM
Man... I really like Pouncy, Bryant, and McClain.
I really think unless you are going to trade back to get a multitude of picks you need to go BPA (duh) and at 11 it really is a no brainer with Dez. I'm starting to think go for Dez or we can see him in 3-4 years thinking man we could have had that beast.

underrated29
04-16-2010, 10:28 AM
wow, the answers are very interesting....

Biggest need is OL. But there are ZERO OL in this draft worth 11. So you take an impact at 2nd need which is bryant,mclain,graham,spoon.

Bryant fills the biggest need at 11. He will make the most impact!

OL is the need, but not worth the 11.....Do you really think that Jeff Saturday is worth more than Peyton Manning or Reggie Wayne..????

Nope. We have some OL that can play G/C on the roster, not my first choices and certianly not JMFMCD first either. But we can fill those in in the 2nd/3rd/4th rounds.

underrated29
04-16-2010, 10:30 AM
Man... I really like Pouncy, Bryant, and McClain.
I really think unless you are going to trade back to get a multitude of picks you need to go BPA (duh) and at 11 it really is a no brainer with Dez. I'm starting to think go for Dez or we can see him in 3-4 years thinking man we could have had that beast.

Correct.

He will be a top 3/4 WR in the league. Much better than Brandon marshall. And as much as I hate to say it. We Must draft him at 11......By far not what I wanted us to do, but with brandon gone and Dez skill level- its a no braniner. Anyone would take AJ,Fitz, randy moss at 11- Dez is on par with these guys.

Requiem
04-16-2010, 10:30 AM
Trent Willliams is worth it at #11.

baja
04-16-2010, 10:34 AM
wow, the answers are very interesting....

Biggest need is OL. But there are ZERO OL in this draft worth 11. So you take an impact at 2nd need which is bryant,mclain,graham,spoon.

Bryant fills the biggest need at 11. He will make the most impact!

OL is the need, but not worth the 11.....Do you really think that Jeff Saturday is worth more than Peyton Manning or Reggie Wayne..????

Nope. We have some OL that can play G/C on the roster, not my first choices and certianly not JMFMCD first either. But we can fill those in in the 2nd/3rd/4th rounds.

The poll doesn't say who would you take at 11 it asks what is our biggest need

underrated29
04-16-2010, 10:36 AM
Thats why I said our Biggest need is OL. First line in my response....correction, second line in my response.

But then I followed it up with the value there as some are suggesting we take pouncey or iupati at 11. Which to me is crazy.

Dream- I like Balouga, probably zero chance he falls to us, but if dez goes top 10 you like him more than trent will?

Requiem
04-16-2010, 10:41 AM
Yeah, Bulaga is above Williams because he has the true ability to play on the left side without problems, I think Williams will struggle on the left side in the NFL. More of a RG/RT.

Old Dude
04-16-2010, 12:13 PM
Rumors I've read say that Pouncey is shooting up the boards and that a lot of teams are looking at him as a mid-first round pick. Somewhere in the 13-20 range. If Denver really wants him, they may have to take him with #11.

underrated29
04-16-2010, 12:25 PM
We better not take pounce at 11.

oubronco
04-16-2010, 12:30 PM
One of the top guys will fall right in our laps it happens every year, now who will it be I have no idea but we are sitting in a good spot

ColoradoDarin
04-16-2010, 01:31 PM
One of the top guys will fall right in our laps it happens every year, now who will it be I have no idea but we are sitting in a good spot

This!

We have to remember that there are some perpetually stupid teams above us (*cough*raiders*cough*) that have different targets in mind.

snowspot66
04-16-2010, 07:46 PM
WR then C/G.

We got by for how many years with Plummer throwing to Rod Smith and nobody else? We can get by just fine.

521 1N5
04-16-2010, 07:49 PM
DO IT!!!

Gallery??

hehe

BroncoBuff
04-17-2010, 12:30 AM
WR edges OG because we need more of them.

And I was looking at the roster ... we have zero depth at LB. Woodyard is about it.

Houshyamama
04-17-2010, 01:20 AM
Won't do any good to have Bryant if Orton/Quinn has 1 second to throw

True, but C can be addressed after the first IMO. I'm really a proponent of taking best player available.. but I do think WR is our greatest need. Neither Royal, nor Gaffney are a #1 WR. This is a pass first league, if we can't stretch the field, opposing defenses will just stack the box. I realize that we can't stretch the field without O-line protection, but again I think that can be addressed later in the draft. However, I would be ecstatic as well if we took Pouncey in the first and Golden Tate later on.