PDA

View Full Version : OT: Obama outlines new NASA strategy for deep space exploration

Chris
04-15-2010, 05:32 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/04/15/obama.space/index.html?hpt=T1

Cape Canaveral, Florida (CNN) -- President Obama pledged his full commitment to the space program Thursday, outlining a new strategy that ends current programs while funding new initiatives intended to propel humankind farther into the solar system.

In a speech at the Kennedy Space Center, Obama outlined his proposal to pump an additional $6 billion into NASA's budget over the next five years while halting a project to resume lunar missions.

The new spending would be for research on a propulsion breakthrough to travel deeper into space, as well as development of technologies to allow humans to transport necessary supplies to work and stay longer, Obama said.

"I am 100 percent committed to the mission of NASA and its future," Obama said to applause from the audience of space program workers.

He outlined a program including a multibillion-dollar modernization of Kennedy Space Center, expansion of private-sector and commercial space industries, creation of thousands of jobs and eventually human travel to Mars.

"We will actually reach space faster and more often under this plan," Obama said, adding it would send more astronauts into space over the next decade than previously planned.

"By the mid-2030s I believe we can send people to orbit Mars and bring them safely back to Earth," Obama said. Landing on Mars will follow, and "I expect to be around to see it," he said.

Instead of being scrapped as originally proposed, the Orion crew capsule would be used as an emergency vehicle to reach crews at the International Space Station, Obama said.

Obama noted that the Constellation Program, which had sought to send astronauts back to the moon by 2020, is behind schedule, over budget and overall less important than other space investments.

The administration would instead invest in deep space exploration and scientific development, he said.

"We've been there before," Obama said of the moon. "There's a lot more of space to explore and a lot more to learn when we do."

The proposal, which has not yet been approved by Congress, troubles some lawmakers from states where space centers are located. A shift in priorities means jobs are at stake.

The main space centers in the United States are Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, Florida; Marshall Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama; and Johnson Space Center in Houston, Texas.

In an attempt to address such concerns, Obama announced a $40 million initiative to promote regional development and job creation.

Allard Beutel, news chief at the Kennedy Space Center, told CNN that layoffs there will likely reach the 7,000 range with the end of NASA's space shuttle fleet and the cancellation of the Constellation program.

Obama noted that the space shuttle fleet is scheduled to be retired at the end of this year under a decision made six years ago. That will leave the Russian Soyuz capsules as the only avenue into space until commercial ventures are ready to do the job, expected to be years away.

The new strategy reflects a new era of international cooperation on space travel, Obama said, also noting that NASA always has collaborated with private companies on building space vehicles and other work.

Leroy Chiao, a former astronaut and the current vice president of Excalibur Almaz, a private manned space flight company, said it's time to "give the commercial guys a chance."

"NASA's job really should be to focus on pushing outside of low-earth orbit, of either going to explore near-earth asteroids, going back to the moon to test architecture and modules and hardware, operations for an eventual visit to Mars. So, NASA really should be thinking farther," Chiao said, adding that private companies could serve as a "taxi service" for NASA.

Some well-known astronauts from the Apollo program, which sent U.S. astronauts to the moon's surface from 1969 to 1972, criticized Obama's plan Wednesday, saying in a letter that "the USA is far too likely to be on a long downhill slide to mediocrity."

"America must decide if it wishes to remain a leader in space," the letter said. "If it does, we should institute a program which will give us the very best chance of achieving that goal."

The letter was signed by the first and last men to walk on the moon -- Neil Armstrong from Apollo 11 and Eugene Cernan from Apollo 17 -- and James Lovell, who commanded the heroic Apollo 13 flight.

They praised Obama's increase in total funding for space exploration, which includes money for research, the international space station and a heavy-lift rocket.

However, the astronauts said the decision to cancel the Constellation program for manned space flight "is devastating."

Armstrong's crewmate, Buzz Aldrin, supported Obama, saying NASA needs to explore new frontiers, not retrace 40-year-old footsteps.

Aldrin rode on Air Force One with Obama to Cape Canaveral, but the president said Aldrin didn't seem too impressed by a plane unable to reach low-earth orbit. A lot of people have given Obama **** for “abandoning” the space program. I think the program’s trajectory to this point has been short sighted. As I understand it going back to the moon is symbolic cold war BS. We can perform our tests using probes. This plan has much more potential. This is great news.

Tombstone RJ
04-15-2010, 05:43 PM
It seems like every different administration has a different plan and a different set of objectives. All I know is NASA is directionless and a shadow of its old self. If Mars is the goal then get on with it and stop talking.

Broncojef
04-15-2010, 05:51 PM
He still doesn't quite get the spending freeze policy he sometimes preaches to select groups of people or the tightening of the budget he likes rant about when talking to us all for being irrational spendaholics. He is just so smart when it comes to spending our tax dollars, I bet he could get the media to spin this as saving money to our growing deficit or valueless dollar or maybe he could get Pelosi and Reid to bribe other Congressional idiots to help this fit into his global warming bill to save the planet.

"his proposal to pump an additional $6 billion into NASA's budget"

This guy just doesn't stop spending money....ever. Next week he'll be preaching to us on how we must cut back, and give more in taxes. Hey Obama how about outlining your strategy to bankrupt America it seems the only thing your good at!

Tombstone RJ
04-15-2010, 06:08 PM
He still doesn't quite get the spending freeze policy he sometimes preaches to select groups of people or the tightening of the budget he likes rant about when talking to us all for being irrational spendaholics. He is just so smart when it comes to spending our tax dollars, I bet he could get the media to spin this as saving money to our growing deficit or valueless dollar or maybe he could get Pelosi and Reid to bribe other Congressional idiots to help this fit into his global warming bill to save the planet.

This guy just doesn't stop spending money....ever. Next week he'll be preaching to us on how we must cut back, and give more in taxes. Hey Obama how about outlining your strategy to bankrupt America it seems the only thing your good at!

I was thinking the same thing. I bet the money comes from the stimulus package. It's somewhere in their between pages 1,112-1,735. Right after the funds for senatorial lap dances.

Dagmar
04-15-2010, 06:10 PM
Where's broncosteven when you need him?

watermock
04-15-2010, 06:14 PM
The "Black Budget" is 100x more.

Durango
04-15-2010, 06:15 PM
Funny how Obama can't do anything right in the eyes of the haters. I voted for McCain, I pay loads of taxes and I think the guy is doing ok. I agree a lot of government programs need to be downsized, but without all the money poured into this economy over the last year and a half we'd be in a second depression by now, and that bumbling stooge I voted for twice in the name of George Bush set the whole mess in motion through banking deregulation and shortsighted, politically motivated tax cuts that mostly benefited his business buddies.

Cutting back NASA? Sorry folks, cuts have to start somewhere and us taxpayers are bled white. Rant over, sorry.

Archer81
04-15-2010, 06:21 PM
Im actually OK with him wanting NASA to get us to Mars by 2030. Also an easy way to develop "deep" space technology that will eventually have practical uses for everyone else, like the microwave.

More than likely the stimulus will help fund it...which bugs me. Thats not what that money is for...but considering that is the nature of government now, im not surprised.

:Broncos:

Pool
04-15-2010, 06:29 PM
When are we going to probe Uranus

DarkHorse30
04-15-2010, 07:10 PM
Funny how Obama can't do anything right in the eyes of the haters

Count me in as a "disliker". Pelosi and the pres have spent us into the ditch, while taking over companies like GM and bailing out the banks...and then the healthcare idiocy bill.

Sorry, but Obama is beginning to look like a real retard. Fix SS and the border, you idiot. Bush tried in 2004 but the democrats didn't care.

Cito Pelon
04-15-2010, 07:40 PM
I don't have a problem with targeting big goals.

Archer81
04-15-2010, 07:43 PM
I don't have a problem with targeting big goals.

As long as they are paid for and something else is cut to make room for it...

Crazy idea, DC. A budget you stick to.

tsiguy96
04-15-2010, 08:03 PM
Count me in as a "disliker". Pelosi and the pres have spent us into the ditch, while taking over companies like GM and bailing out the banks...and then the healthcare idiocy bill.

Sorry, but Obama is beginning to look like a real retard. Fix SS and the border, you idiot. Bush tried in 2004 but the democrats didn't care.

we werent spent into a ditch before obama got into office? you sure? not that hes helping, but to blame obama for being in debt is silly.

Cito Pelon
04-15-2010, 08:05 PM
As long as they are paid for and something else is cut to make room for it...

Crazy idea, DC. A budget you stick to.

Yes, there has to be some fiscal consideration. But, there has to be big goals, that's how we humans' brains work.

Archer81
04-15-2010, 08:08 PM
we werent spent into a ditch before obama got into office? you sure? not that hes helping, but to blame obama for being in debt is silly.

To shift the blame to previous admin's is equally silly. For 7 years we heard how spending on two wars was "bankrupting" the country. democrats get power and actually accelerate the pace of spending...so it makes me wonder...when is massive spending ok? When its on stimulus' that dont work or for healthcare reform that is a ticking time bomb? At what point is spending trillions for any reason beyond ridiculous?

tsiguy96
04-15-2010, 08:09 PM
To shift the blame to previous admin's is equally silly. For 7 years we heard how spending on two wars was "bankrupting" the country. democrats get power and actually accelerate the pace of spending...so it makes me wonder...when is massive spending ok? When its on stimulus' that dont work or for healthcare reform that is a ticking time bomb? At what point is spending trillions for any reason beyond ridiculous?

i dont like either of em spending that much, its ridiculous. ron paul 2012. but you cant blame obama for making the country so broke, he took it over when it was absolutely broke. hes just not helping it.

Archer81
04-15-2010, 08:09 PM
Yes, there has to be some fiscal consideration. But, there has to be big goals, that's how we humans' brains work.

I agree.

If we are going to spend on NASA (big goal) maybe congress should consider cutting its pay in half or firing half of the federal bureacracy.

DarkHorse30
04-15-2010, 08:10 PM

it's obama's deficit. own it. live it. love it. If he wasn't such a lying sack, he'd own it....but he can't help his chicago thug politic upbringing.

The laughable part to me is how much of a doof Biden is, but the press just keeps giving him a pass. Biden make Quayle look like the smartest guy in the room.

Garcia Bronco
04-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Nice. This is where we have to go for resources. And it's going to take a long, long time.

Broncojef
04-15-2010, 08:14 PM

Sorry for my rant. I agree there need to be big goals and things as a nation we strive to achieve. We just seem more than willing to drop a billion or ten everywhere these days.

Broncojef
04-15-2010, 08:22 PM
Funny how Obama can't do anything right in the eyes of the haters. I voted for McCain, I pay loads of taxes and I think the guy is doing ok. I agree a lot of government programs need to be downsized, but without all the money poured into this economy over the last year and a half we'd be in a second depression by now, and that bumbling stooge I voted for twice in the name of George Bush set the whole mess in motion through banking deregulation and shortsighted, politically motivated tax cuts that mostly benefited his business buddies.

Cutting back NASA? Sorry folks, cuts have to start somewhere and us taxpayers are bled white. Rant over, sorry.

Definitely not a progressive fan, whether it be Republican (Bush) or Dem(Obama). We didn't miss or spend our way out of a second depression, we put it off...once the money dumped into the economy goes away and the government raises interest rates to obnoxious levels to account for that spending that "saved us" I think we will be in even worse shape. I love NASA and its missions but not sure what $6 Bill is buying us, hopefully its worth it.

Tombstone RJ
04-15-2010, 08:22 PM

Hey, here's a big goal: a balanced federal budget. That big enough for ya?

Kaylore
04-15-2010, 08:26 PM

I agree.

Archer81
04-15-2010, 08:27 PM
Sorry for my rant. I agree there need to be big goals and things as a nation we strive to achieve. We just seem more than willing to drop a billion or ten everywhere these days.

It all depends on what our elected leaders feel is important (healthcare coverage "reform", cap and trade, illegal amnesty, this flashback to 1978 with all the nuclear reduction nonsense) vs what the people feel is important (not that).

rmsanger
04-15-2010, 08:37 PM
We all know that eventually we're going to have to dump this popstand! Deepspace propulsion sounds like a wise investment to me...

Cito Pelon
04-15-2010, 08:47 PM
I agree.

If we are going to spend on NASA (big goal) maybe congress should consider cutting its pay in half or firing half of the federal bureacracy.

They're going after the tax cheaters. I bet there's several billion in tax cheaters among our super-rich. The richest people are always the biggest tax cheaters. Rich people and tax cheats always seem to be hand in hand.

Archer81
04-15-2010, 08:50 PM
They're going after the tax cheaters. I bet there's several billion in tax cheaters among our super-rich. The richest people are always the biggest tax cheaters. Rich people and tax cheats always seem to be hand in hand.

Maybe if government was not trying to jack the rich people of all their money, they wouldnt be hiding it in tax shelters overseas...does it make any logical sense for a society to tax its highest income earners to the extreme and not require its lower income earners to pay a red cent? Half of the people in this country dont pay anything in taxes. You would actually get more money from taxes of you taxed everybody at a low rate...

broncosteven
04-15-2010, 08:58 PM
Where's broncosteven when you need him?

Practicing guitar.

I heard about Obama wanting to privitize NASA, I hadn't heard about him investing $6 bill though so that is encouraging.

We need someone to provide a clear goal for space exploration, manned and robotic. Some of the recent robotic missions have been great successes but have only accomplished a few things.

It is sad that we finally have a space station but will have to pay Russia for seats to get there.

There is no reason smaller Dyna Soar's x-20 type vehicles can't be placed into low earth orbit or docked at the Space station and used for reentry while payloads are flown using the current Atlas platform.

It is my opinion that crews should be flown separate from the payloads or propulsion to reduce risk and loads. That would mean 1 man rated vehicle would be used to launch men into orbit, they would rendevous in orbit, dock the payloads and propulsion and head for outer planets. The return vehicles should be sent ahead of men.

It can be done modular, that is what guys like Buzz, Lovell, Kraft, Kranz want to see.

I do think we should establish a base on the moon for the same reasons we have bases at the North and South poles, research.

Someone from NASA or private space industry need to set a realistic goal within a realistic timeframe and congress needs to back it.

Stopping and starting in fits just to keep an aging bureaucracy alive is not doing anyone any good.

robbieopperude
04-15-2010, 09:00 PM
I am very excited for deep space exploration to Mars. It is time for us to get some sort of idea what kind of minerals are/were there.

America is playing a risky game of chance where we continue to mortgage our future to spend on the present. I hope that the administration has a good idea of where they want to go. Right now I feel they are lost and the system is broken and needs to be fixed.

DarkHorse30
04-15-2010, 09:01 PM
It all depends on what our elected leaders feel is important (healthcare coverage "reform", cap and trade, illegal amnesty, this flashback to 1978 with all the nuclear reduction nonsense) vs what the people feel is important (not that).

The problem with govt is they don't listen - witness the healthcare shovedown.

Kid A
04-15-2010, 09:05 PM
Maybe if government was not trying to jack the rich people of all their money, they wouldnt be hiding it in tax shelters overseas...does it make any logical sense for a society to tax its highest income earners to the extreme and not require its lower income earners to pay a red cent? Half of the people in this country dont pay anything in taxes. You would actually get more money from taxes of you taxed everybody at a low rate...

Not true at all. 47% don't pay federal income taxes. But they still pay other taxes, including federal payroll taxes that fund Social Security and Medicare, and excise taxes on gasoline, aviation, alcohol and cigarettes. Many also pay state or local taxes on sales, income and property.

80smith
04-15-2010, 09:11 PM
I know I'm going to regret asking this but, in all honesty, what is the purpose of sending man into space? Why not send out satellites and hubble type telescopes to the far reaches to do the work for us. And why not let other countries spend some money and let us learn from them?

Archer81
04-15-2010, 09:12 PM
Not true at all. 47% don't pay federal income taxes. But they still pay other taxes, including federal payroll taxes that fund Social Security and Medicare, and excise taxes on gasoline, aviation, alcohol and cigarettes. Many also pay state or local taxes on sales, income and property.

...that is what I was referring to. They do not pay anything to the federal government. If they pay state taxes, they get most of what they put in paid back.

The point remains the same. Government increases taxes, they get less revenue. Which usually means the wealthy, who can move their money overseas do. To make up for the income they are not getting from the wealthy, they raise taxes on the middle class, which cuts into consumer spending...which starts another round of taxing to make up for the lost taxes on consumer goods...

Archer81
04-15-2010, 09:13 PM
I know I'm going to regret asking this but, in all honesty, what is the purpose of sending man into space? Why not send out satellites and hubble type telescopes to the far reaches to do the work for us. And why not let other countries spend some money and let us learn from them?

Because the world is not a kumbaya place. Do you really see the Chinese or the Russians sharing technology with us if they gain an advantage in space?

80smith
04-15-2010, 09:17 PM
Because the world is not a kumbaya place. Do you really see the Chinese or the Russians sharing technology with us if they gain an advantage in space?

Money speaks and there are other countries out there.

Archer81
04-15-2010, 10:05 PM
Money speaks and there are other countries out there.

There is a reason the US, Russia and China are the only countries to run missions into space with any regularity. The EU does it too, but it is expensive. India did it...once. And where will we get the money from? China?

ZONA
04-16-2010, 01:58 AM
I love space exploration as much as the next guy but traveling to Mars isn't going to tell us anything about the things that we still can't understand (Dark Matter, Black Holes, etc). I doubt we learn much about space itself by sending humans to Mars. I don't think Mars has the secrets of Dark Matter and Black Holes for us, lol. I think the money is better suited to advance technologies in ION Thrusters so that we can send robotic missions and telescopes further into space. We need to find better ways to protect them from space radiation. As it is right now, every so often, they have to turn off critical components on Hubble every time it passes over the South Atlantic Anomaly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Atlantic_Anomaly) just so it doesn't get fried by our own Sun. If we can develop better protection and better long space flight propulsions, we can send important telescopes much futher into space, trying to identify planets that resemble Earth. They just can't tell much about them right now because the stars are so bright, they make it hard to see the planets that orbit those stars. About the only thing they can really tell is mass, size and relative distance from it's star. The ones that are closest they can tell a bit more about the atmosphere but not really too much more then that.

We all know Earth is doomed. It's just which doomsday will happen first.

* Sun going into Red Giant phase - approx 4 billion years
* The Moon moving further away from Earth, thus causing the Earth's rotation to slow down - still millions and millions of years away from Earth actually slowing down to the point it would cause the demise of life here.
* The Earth cooling. Scientists think this is what may have cause the atmospher on Mars to fail. All planets cool, some just faster then others. Eventually, the Earth's core will also cool, destroying all life.
* Gamma Ray Burst - this is not something that is a given of when, but if. It would wipe out every living thing on Earth.

And even as we search for new planets in our galaxy, which is 100,000 light years across, eventually we still would need to find a way to travel much much further, to galaxies far far away. The eventual colision of the Milky Way and Andromeda will be no place to be.

So yes, you can't just stop exploring space, for those of you who suggest it's not necessary. But I don't think sending men to Mars is going to do much of anything all that important. IMO anyway. Put me down for rather spending money on sending telescopes really really really far away and do some more looking and learning. It's cheaper and we will probably learn more.

cutthemdown
04-16-2010, 02:20 AM

America supposed to sit back and hope other countries teach us? Oh man that is rich. We are the leaders and if we expect to stay on top accepting 2nd place or giving up not an option. Learn from them? Oh wow, just wow?

I'm not sure why we should send a man to mars, or back to them moon. Why does a mountain climber climb a mountain? You don't always know what you will learn when you set out into the unknown. Learning how to keep humans alive for space travel could lead to other advancements in medicine, etc etc.

The deep ocean another place we need to keep exploring. It's about discovery. It's the reason Columbus set out, the reason Lewis and Clark set out etc etc. I bet lots of people back in the day felt wasting money on a ship going accross the ocean to the unknown was a waste on money.

cutthemdown
04-16-2010, 02:23 AM
Zona has some good points. I'm not sure its worth it going to Mars right now, but I thnk sending men into space, deep space, is totally in the future of the human race. One day an American will set foot on a different planet. I believe that 100 percent don't you all? May not happen in the next 20 yrs, but it will happen.

80smith
04-16-2010, 03:45 AM
There is a reason the US, Russia and China are the only countries to run missions into space with any regularity. The EU does it too, but it is expensive. India did it...once. And where will we get the money from? China?

Why not ask other countries to help like our allies? split the bill Work together.

80smith
04-16-2010, 05:13 AM
America supposed to sit back and hope other countries teach us? Oh man that is rich. We are the leaders and if we expect to stay on top accepting 2nd place or giving up not an option. Learn from them? Oh wow, just wow?

I'm not sure why we should send a man to mars, or back to them moon. Why does a mountain climber climb a mountain? You don't always know what you will learn when you set out into the unknown. Learning how to keep humans alive for space travel could lead to other advancements in medicine, etc etc.

The deep ocean another place we need to keep exploring. It's about discovery. It's the reason Columbus set out, the reason Lewis and Clark set out etc etc. I bet lots of people back in the day felt wasting money on a ship going accross the ocean to the unknown was a waste on money.

IMO, I feel that space is just too big for America to conquer alone. Mankind needs to work together on this. What is wrong learning from other countries? Different cultures lead to different ways of thinking leads to new ideas better solutions and learning from the mistakes of others will not only save $$ but will allow us to reach our goals faster.

UberBroncoMan
04-16-2010, 05:21 AM
We need to learn how to colonize the moon before we start sending **** to Mars. Wrong priorities. The moon is right next to us, and it has untapped resources. Plus it's a great and far cheaper starting point to attempt colonization outside of Earth. Landing on Mars doesn't do **** for us other than give us the "haha, we beat everyone else" line. I'd like us to hit Mars once we know we can have a permanent outpost there.

UberBroncoMan
04-16-2010, 05:25 AM
Put me down for rather spending money on sending telescopes really really really far away and do some more looking and learning. It's cheaper and we will probably learn more.

I'm all for that and the moon.

WolfpackGuy
04-16-2010, 05:33 AM
I'm not sure if the human body could withstand a trip to Mars much less the trip back.

Your muscles would be like jelly once you landed.

Drek
04-16-2010, 06:48 AM
We need to learn how to colonize the moon before we start sending **** to Mars. Wrong priorities. The moon is right next to us, and it has untapped resources. Plus it's a great and far cheaper starting point to attempt colonization outside of Earth. Landing on Mars doesn't do **** for us other than give us the "haha, we beat everyone else" line. I'd like us to hit Mars once we know we can have a permanent outpost there.

Can't colonize the moon until you have very fast, reliable propulsion systems to make travel there and back comparatively trivial.

If we can build a propulsion system and spacecraft habitat that can get a human to Mars fast enough and in safe enough condition for it to be practical we could then easily use the exact same technologies to do exactly what you want on the moon.

Gob
04-16-2010, 07:00 AM

The point to sending out man instead of robots is politics, jobs and sexiness. I have read from quite a few scientific sources that there is basically nothing objective a human can do out in space that a robot cannot, other then take up space and require life support. Robotic missions can go farther, pack more instruments in (in place of the life support and space requirements of humans), can stay up longer, can do more, and are far far far less expensive. But they aren't sexy and don't capture the public imagination (and therefore do not help to get more tax dollars spent on NASA), so groundbreaking robotic missions are shelved in order to see someone spacewalk again.

mizzoutigers
04-16-2010, 07:03 AM
more important topics to address right now CORRECTLY.

Rohirrim
04-16-2010, 07:32 AM
When all the blah, blah, blah is said and done, I only care about one thing: Colonizing Mars. As a kid who grew up on Ray Bradbury books it's something I've always wanted to see. Imagine the glory of that moment: An American standing on the surface of Mars! Un****ingbelievable.

Make it so. ;D

TotallyScrewed
04-16-2010, 07:41 AM
Im actually OK with him wanting NASA to get us to Mars by 2030. Also an easy way to develop "deep" space technology that will eventually have practical uses for everyone else, like the microwave.

More than likely the stimulus will help fund it...which bugs me. Thats not what that money is for...but considering that is the nature of government now, im not surprised.

Pushing the envelope is what NASA has to do by the very nature of the job. We need some more revolutionary technological advances. They become economic stimulus's of their own.

TheReverend
04-16-2010, 07:42 AM
Skip Mars and keep developing propulsion technology that will eventually be able to send an astronaut with massive balls into a black hole.

gyldenlove
04-16-2010, 07:46 AM
...that is what I was referring to. They do not pay anything to the federal government. If they pay state taxes, they get most of what they put in paid back.

The point remains the same. Government increases taxes, they get less revenue. Which usually means the wealthy, who can move their money overseas do. To make up for the income they are not getting from the wealthy, they raise taxes on the middle class, which cuts into consumer spending...which starts another round of taxing to make up for the lost taxes on consumer goods...

The Reagan school of thought, lower taxes to increase revenue, aside from sending the country into hopeless debt it worked well - or not.

Tombstone RJ
04-16-2010, 08:11 AM
There are a few reasons to do exploration within our solar system. Exploring Eruopa for water and life would be an excellent goal and could establish the existence of life on another planet. Also, exploring other planets within our solar system for natural and untapped resources is an excellent goal too.

Robotics can accomplish this and should be a primary goal of NASA.

As for human involvement, we need to know if we are capable of long term survival off Earth. Setting up a colony on Mars with the possible intentions of terra forming Mars just makes sense.

As for heading out into deep space, that is never going to happen until we find a way to conquer the space/time problem which is massive.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-16-2010, 08:15 AM
The Reagan school of thought, lower taxes to increase revenue, aside from sending the country into hopeless debt it worked well - or not.

This.

And take it from the kid from Denmark. If you guys had LA weather, I'd be there in a heartbeat. :)

Garcia Bronco
04-16-2010, 08:26 AM

Hardly an accurate statement.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-16-2010, 08:31 AM
Hardly an accurate statement.

Well he forgot 2 needless wars and Medicare part D, but yeah, thats the gist of it.

broncosteven
04-16-2010, 12:37 PM

There are things men can do that Machines can't. It is the same reason we send people to hostile places like Antartica and deep sea exploration, research.

There is no need for men to do everything, continue what the JPL lab is doing with projects like Cassini and Kepler and the Mars rovers but in addition to expanding the robtic missions we need to learn how to live, work and travel in space and other hostile environments.

We should have a base on the moon, I am not a big fan of landing men on Mars, but I would like to see a mission to Jupiters moons.

Establish a base on the moon to learn how to live and then send men to observe Jupiter and Saturn.

The Kepler mission has idenitified stars with orbiting planets. It would be great to 1st send some robotic craft to a great canidiate check it out and if the conditions are right send men but we need to learn how to navigate our solar system before we can go into deep space.

broncosteven
04-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Why not ask other countries to help like our allies? split the bill Work together.

We have a limited agreement with Russia and the European union but nothing like what we would need for a "United Federation" type setup.

We would not have the International space station without some cooperation between nations but China is out there doing their own thing. I would not be surprised if they land a man on the moon in the next 5-10 years or sooner.

Plus it would take one country engaging in a war with some other country who is an Ally of a 3rd country to topple the whole mess.