PDA

View Full Version : mhgaffney's 2010 mock

mhgaffney
04-15-2010, 05:38 PM
Everyone's getting in the act, so...what the heck.

This mock offers a different way to go -- while still covering the bases.

This mock assumes we can't trade down.

It also assume that Spiller is taken early - not available at 11. I am also ruling out Dez Bryant because I doubt McD will replace one problem child (BM) with another.

I am ruling out NT Dan Williams -- assuming that our three new free agents have solved the defensive line problem for the immediate future.

And I am ruling out R McClain and Weatherspoon also -- because we can probably pick a good ILB in later rounds.

So here it is:

11. Joe Haden CB -- Hard to say "No" if he is still on the board. Shut down corners are few and far between.

This pick could give Denver the best secondary in the league. Imagine Haden on one side and Alfonzo and Goodman competing for a job on the other.

Dawkins of course would play SS -- with McBath competing for playing time.

Champ would move to free safety. He's our best tackler. Why not? Champ could experience a rebirth.

43 Best available WR. Not sure who. Maybe Thomas if he is on the board.

45 Best available Guard. Ducasse, or maybe Asamoah (who was an academic All American -- which means the guy is very smart -- and high character.)

80 Best available center. Walton, Tennant, or a big nasty from off the radar screen.

114 Micah Johnson ILB. As we know (from WW), the Kentucky LBs can play FB. This kid is as large as Rolando.

6th round. Best available running back. Let's hope someone falls.

7th round. Your guess is as good as mine.

Requiem
04-15-2010, 05:43 PM
Joe Haden isn't even that good. Gross.

ICON
04-15-2010, 09:06 PM
:flush:

anton
04-15-2010, 09:10 PM
Joe Haden isn't even that good. Gross.

Joe Haden is definitely that good and would be a great pick at 11. He would be a much better pick than an interior o-lineman and offers better value than a ILB.

I like this mock a lot but you should fill in players instead of just positions.

s0phr0syne
04-15-2010, 09:11 PM
Not sure why the others are hating. I think his logic and approach are pretty standard, and while there may be some different ideas out there, this certainly isn't anywhere where near the worst of them.

Maybe he needs to do like 2 or 3 crazy/retarded/hypothetical trades to get more approval?

Anyway to the OP, I wouldn't hang myself if Haden is the choice at 11, but I assume you're talking about Champ possibly going to safety down the road...not this year, right?

Between the choice of Haden or D.Williams at 11, I think my personal preference would be the big DT, although it's not a glaring need for this year.

I'm really curious to see if Pedescleaux or Baker make a jump and can make the 53-man roster this year. That could shape things. Both were well thought of prospects last year.

mhgaffney
04-15-2010, 09:14 PM
Hey icon -- love the image. Just hope it wasn't pointed in my direction.

yuk yuk

Broncojef
04-15-2010, 09:37 PM
I love threads like this. Reading all the possibilities and names involved and the tons of scenarios that may play out. Its like Christmas eve for football fans. I usually change my mind 10 times a week on who I want.

OBF1
04-15-2010, 11:09 PM
I could get onboard with this mock. Good work :thumbs:

Durango
04-15-2010, 11:28 PM
It is good work, as are many of the mock drafts that so many people dismiss so easily around here. Granted some are a little further out there than others, but there's a lot of thought that goes into this and it's interesting.

I wouldn't select Haden first, but you have your reasons, and that's ok. The other priorities seem right in line with the team needs. good job.

Paladin
04-16-2010, 09:53 AM
I can't tell if you people are being sarcastic or whether you really, really believe a good mock includes a lot of "best available" remarks. Seems rather short on specifics except for Haden.

gyldenlove
04-16-2010, 10:39 AM
Haden is too slow to have value that high in the first, add to that how often he bites on headfakes and that he plays off way too much to compensate for his lack of footspeed and you have yourself a very mediocre CB.

Dedhed
04-16-2010, 10:53 AM
I can't tell if you people are being sarcastic or whether you really, really believe a good mock includes a lot of "best available" remarks. Seems rather short on specifics except for Haden.I agree.
Not only does it make for a dull mock draft, I think it's a poor draft strategy to say, "Round 1 we'll go best DB, Round 2 we'll go bet OL, etc". That's a strategy designed to miss good players and reach for others.

Requiem
04-16-2010, 10:58 AM
Joe Haden is definitely that good and would be a great pick at 11. He would be a much better pick than an interior o-lineman and offers better value than a ILB.

I like this mock a lot but you should fill in players instead of just positions.

Haden is my #3 ranked CB. There is no way in Hell I would advocate his selection at #11, especially when he would not start over Bailey or Goodman. He is not even considered in the first-round for me based on our needs elsewhere. Making a good pick has a lot more to do than just the player you are selecting. Any Broncos fan who thinks we need to draft Haden over other areas of need is smoking cock and crack.

cmhargrove
04-16-2010, 11:07 AM
Here's your second round guard:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d816dcc81/2010-Combine-workout-John-Jerry

Requiem
04-16-2010, 11:09 AM
****in' love Johnny Boy Jerry.

peacepipe
04-16-2010, 12:17 PM
champ ain't moving any time soon,at least not this season. He's still our best corner even haden were drafted.

gunns
04-16-2010, 02:25 PM
You had me at Spiller is gone and ruling out Dez Bryant.

Momentum
04-17-2010, 02:46 PM
Haden is too slow to have value that high in the first, add to that how often he bites on headfakes and that he plays off way too much to compensate for his lack of footspeed and you have yourself a very mediocre CB.

Thank you.

Haden also played against super subpar quarterbacking in the SEC. He is going to be a bust IMO. He doesn't play fluid enough. Reminds me of Antrel Rolle minus the knack for INTs.

anton
04-17-2010, 11:23 PM

There are a lot of things that Haden needs to improve but speed is not one of them. His film shows that he is plenty fast and he ran in the 4.3/4.4s at his proday.

Kaylore
04-18-2010, 11:53 AM
That's it? I can do a mock like this one.

11. CJ Spiller

43: Best player available and then contradict myself by mandating a position regardless of what's on the board.

45: Best player available that is not a Jew.

80: Best conspiracy available.

114: Jonathan Amaya! It is imperative we select a player at this spot and none others, and I be vague and non-committal leading up to this pick.

Sixth round: A football player.

Seventh round: Magic.

There you go, guys!

Paladin
04-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Jezus, Khan! That's a h3ll of a draft. I'd go bonkers if that were to come true!

Really, man, good job. Better than I could do. I would have completely missed on Amaya...........

BowlenBall
04-18-2010, 12:05 PM

11. CJ Spiller

43: Best player available and then contradict myself by mandating a position regardless of what's on the board.

114: Jonathan Amaya! It is imperative we select a player at this spot and none others, and I be vague and non-committal leading up to this pick.

There you go, guys!

Nice draft, but I think you should take Science in the seventh round rather than Magic. Other than that, well done!

Kaylore
04-18-2010, 12:10 PM
Nice draft, but I think you should take Science in the seventh round rather than Magic. Other than that, well done!

I took magic late so we can groom it for a few and then trade to a coven of witches in two years for higher picks and maybe a charm spell.

Momentum
04-19-2010, 01:13 AM
There are a lot of things that Haden needs to improve but speed is not one of them. His film shows that he is plenty fast and he ran in the 4.3/4.4s at his proday.

He only runs that fast on Florida's track....

anton
04-19-2010, 02:48 AM
Florida's track was outside on soggy grass... and again he is plenty fast on film

mhgaffney
04-19-2010, 09:34 PM

11. CJ Spiller

There you go, guys!

Kaylore is great when he sticks to FB.

However, when he mixes FB with political innuendo he only mocks himself.