PDA

View Full Version : Is this the most important draft in recent history for the Broncos?

baja
04-15-2010, 02:42 PM
poll coming

BroncoBuff
04-15-2010, 02:43 PM
Every draft is the most important in history ... but I would argue last year was more important. New coach and administration, loss of Cutler.

TheDave
04-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Easily... between this draft and last (because of the cutler/bmarsh trade) we will have drafted 9 "day one players"... If he hits on some of those, then we have a strong nucleus to work with.

If he blows it...well... then we are back to 2006 minus 2 pro-bowlers

cmhargrove
04-15-2010, 02:50 PM
If Williams, Bannan, and Green work out, we have already made our offseason great.

Seriously, if Jamal Williams comes back like the 2007-2008 Williams, we could be in for a fun ride.

I am most excited to see which players we choose to address the O-line. We certainly should get bigger.

PRBronco
04-15-2010, 02:51 PM
I think last year's was. Assuming there's a season in 2011, that'll be his 3rd year here, his last year on his contract, and the 2009 class's 3rd year. Their sophomore slump will be out of the way, and they'll have to be major contributors in his most important season as the Broncos' coach, to show whether Bowlen keeps him or goes in a different direction.

There's no poll option for my answer :(

LonghornBronco
04-15-2010, 02:51 PM
I hope that we can capitalize on the extra picks but I have my doubts. I think adjusting to the players strengths would have been a better route than getting new players...

worm
04-15-2010, 03:06 PM
2006 was the most important in franchise history much less recent memory.

Not only did it shape those years immediately following on the field. It reshaped all these recent draft with the infusion of picks.

Now if you are asking if this is the most important in Josh's tenure. I would say, no. Last year was.

SoDak Bronco
04-15-2010, 03:10 PM
YES!!! This draft is huge. Lots of quality players, hopefully we can grab 3-4 starters in the draft, and build this team up. Josh has committed a lot to building this team via the draft, so with the loss of talent in the past few years (cutler and bmarsh) we need to strike gold on several players.

broncosteven
04-15-2010, 03:12 PM
It is going to be hard for Rookies to come in and contribute right away at high levels. I think the work stoppage could set this draft class back.

It will be interesting to see what happens next week.

SouthStndJunkie
04-15-2010, 03:21 PM
The 2009 and 2010 drafts will determine Josh's future with the Denver Broncos. If he screws them up, then he deserves to get **** canned,

I was not impressed with the 2009 draft at all (but am willing to give that draft class another year to pan out).

We need to hit big on the 2010 draft class.

We've traded young proven talent for unproven picks....and we need to cash in on them.

Look at all the picks we have accumulated between 2009 and 2010....they absolutely will make up the nucleus of the team for better or for worse.

mhgaffney
04-15-2010, 03:24 PM
What I'm wondering is will Denver go offense in round one -- or will they start with defense.

If we can't trade down - and if Dan Williams is available at #11 -- Mcd will have to make a serious decision.

tsiguy96
04-15-2010, 03:24 PM
a rookie coachs first draft class cannot be his defining draft class. this one, however, he has ammo, good selections and several picks in more than one round (assuming scheffler for a 4th), and needs to get guys who can contribute right away. that means a C (gauranteed in the 2nd or maybe move up/down in first to get one), WR and LB.

baja
04-15-2010, 03:27 PM
The 2009 and 2010 drafts will determine Josh's future with the Denver Broncos. If he screws them up, then he deserves to get **** canned,

I was not impressed with the 2009 draft at all (but am willing to give that draft class another year to pan out).

We need to hit big on the 2010 draft class.

We've traded young proven talent for unproven picks....and we need to cash in on them.

Look at all the picks we have accumulated between 2009 and 2010....they absolutely will make up the nucleus of the team for better or for worse.

If we do hit we better stagger the length of the contracts because if we hit we will have some heavy singings down the road all due at once.

TheReverend
04-15-2010, 03:28 PM
I feel like this is hands down the most important draft.

Not because it has anything to do Jay or Brandon's trades, or even McDaniels, but because I absolutely believe this is the best draft in my lifetime and we have a dickton of picks.

Teams can completely change their identities next week, imo. Let's hope we remodel the Denver Broncos and hit on every swing.

baja
04-15-2010, 03:29 PM

Not because it has anything to do Jay or Brandon's trades, or even McDaniels, but because I absolutely believe this is the best draft in my lifetime and we have a dickton of picks.

Teams can completely change their identities next week, imo. Let's hope we remodel the Denver Broncos and hit on every swing.

Amen! Reverend ;D

baja
04-15-2010, 03:30 PM
I'm only being nice to you because Survivor is just around the corner. ;D

baja
04-15-2010, 03:31 PM
...And you are the best player.

TheReverend
04-15-2010, 03:34 PM
I'm only being nice to you because Survivor is just around the corner. ;D

Not playing. Too busy.

TheReverend
04-15-2010, 03:34 PM
...And you are the best player.

Maybe I'll sign up just to give you my vote though.

I mean...

You trust me, right?

Dagmar
04-15-2010, 03:35 PM

What IS our current pick situation?

baja
04-15-2010, 03:36 PM
Maybe I'll sign up just to give you my vote though.

I mean...

You trust me, right?

More than anybody on this board. ;D

NFLBRONCO
04-15-2010, 03:41 PM
I agree with both actually but, I voted yes for the obvious reasons.

1. 09 draft was unprepared stupid trades. I know 09 class deserves time but, if your throwing darts at a dartboard why not stockpile picks in 2010 and 2011 when your staff is more settled and organized that is what irks me the most.

2. Denver can't afford to have avg drafts when they recieved extra picks for trading talented but, babies and problem childs. The Afc is tough to compete with you must draft well or we will slip.

TheReverend
04-15-2010, 03:41 PM
What IS our current pick situation?

Chicagos 1st
Our 2nd, Miami's 2nd

I believe we HAD 2 5ths but traded one for LeKevin Smith and another in the Quinn deal?

TheReverend
04-15-2010, 03:43 PM
Chicagos 1st
Our 2nd, Miami's 2nd

I believe we HAD 2 5ths but traded one for LeKevin Smith and another in the Quinn deal?

Goddamn I wish we could ship Alphonso, Quinn and LeKevin back to limbo for our picks back.

ScottXray
04-15-2010, 03:49 PM
This one is the most important, cause its the only one we can do anything about, since it hasn't happened yet. Hit it well and it can change the future, and don't hit it well and it can change the future. Screw it up and McD could be done after next year. Hit and we can be back in the playoff picture. We need to make every pick count, in draft that is supposed to be as deep as this one, because at least one or two of our AFC west brethren will also get better . Getting even more picks is a way to ameliorate that if we miss on one or two.

Can't do anything about last years draft NOW. Its already over and done, but the players in that one have to start stepping up, and soon.

baja
04-15-2010, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend
Chicagos 1st
Our 2nd, Miami's 2nd

Goddamn I wish we could ship Alphonso, Quinn and LeKevin back to limbo for our picks back.

Too Early

Popps
04-15-2010, 03:50 PM
It's no more important than the last decade, where we screwed up 90% of our picks. (And free agent moves.)

It's all important, all the time.

lex
04-15-2010, 03:54 PM
I think the 2006 draft was more important. Josh is under a lot of pressure to perform but thats his own situation. When you look at the organization in a larger sense, 2006 was huge. The talent haul was massive and directly or indirectly its still impacting the current roster makeup either from the players like Royal, Kuper, and Doom who remain or whether its the picks that come from trading Cutler and Marshall. 2006 has left huge footprints. 2008 was also stellar and many of those guys are still on the team.

baja
04-15-2010, 04:00 PM
It's no more important than the last decade, where we screwed up 90% of our picks. (And free agent moves.)

It's all important, all the time.

I think it is the most important of the recent era drafts because it will determine the future of Josh McDaniels. If he pulls off a great draft to go along with what looks to be a great 2 off seasons of FA signings we will have a new core made in the image of Josh's vision and the Denver Broncos will be a joy to watch for years to come.

Should he fail in this draft, well no core of talent, few wins and a disappointing early exit for Josh followed by desperate hope the next guy can get it right.

Not to mention the "I told you sos" we'd have to endure.

Triplelefthook
04-15-2010, 04:00 PM
in terms of the poll question - there is no doubt this is the most important draft for McDaniels and it will shape his career here in Denver. 2 of the early picks in the draft are direct compensation for the 2 blockbuster trades that he has been involved in since coming here. Both trades have shaped nearly everyone's opinion of him, whether for good or for bad.

This is a loaded draft class, McDaniels and his team have had time to prepare for this one, they have a good nucleus in place from the prior here, they have hit on FA signings, the time is NOW. Draft some studs McD

Popps
04-15-2010, 04:12 PM
I
Should he fail in this draft, well no core of talent.

I'm not sure about that.

Clearly, we'll have big holes if we whiff. But, I'll take the other side and say we've got more young talent with potential on this team now than we did a few years ago.

-Ayers
-Bruton
-McBath
-McKinley
-Quinn
-Moreno
-Brandstater
-Quinn
-Baker

etc...

It's not to say that those are all, or even most future starters. But, it's an interesting core of players, mixed with some average-aged guys like Goodman, Doom, Clady, Gaffney, Etc.

I'm not saying we don't need a huge draft. We do. I'm just saying that we're probably in much better shape now than we were a couple years ago with regards to guys on our team now that can contribute going forward.

I'm a huge fan of the approach we're talking. Build up this core. I think our off-season has been great, thus far.... and add a few "hits" this draft, and we're building a real structure here, not just smoke and mirrors we've seen for a long time.

DBroncos4life
04-15-2010, 04:14 PM
Yes because this could be the deepest draft class in years to come. If they pass a rookie cap then you will never see a class like this again.

baja
04-15-2010, 04:19 PM
I'm not sure about that.

Clearly, we'll have big holes if we whiff. But, I'll take the other side and say we've got more young talent with potential on this team now than we did a few years ago.

-Ayers
-Bruton
-McBath
-McKinley
-Quinn
-Moreno
-Brandstater
-Quinn
-Baker

etc...

It's not to say that those are all, or even most future starters. But, it's an interesting core of players, mixed with some average-aged guys like Goodman, Doom, Clady, Gaffney, Etc.

I'm not saying we don't need a huge draft. We do. I'm just saying that we're probably in much better shape now than we were a couple years ago with regards to guys on our team now that can contribute going forward.

I'm a huge fan of the approach we're talking. Build up this core. I think our off-season has been great, thus far.... and add a few "hits" this draft, and we're building a real structure here, not just smoke and mirrors we've seen for a long time.

"Smoke & mirrors" is a great way to describe Mike's last years here.

Requiem
04-15-2010, 04:20 PM
Every draft is important. No more than others. This is an epic draft, so it is apt we do things well.

baja
04-15-2010, 04:22 PM
Every draft is important. No more than others. This is an epic draft, so it is apt we do things well.

If no draft is more important than another why is this one "Epic"

Requiem
04-15-2010, 04:23 PM
The talent pool compared to years past is incredible. One of the best talent pools, probably the best I have ever seen, from legitimate starting prospects well through the rounds of the draft. The talent pool being so great doesn't mean this draft is more important than others. We've traded away key resources and received fair compensation, it is important to replace that.

baja
04-15-2010, 04:28 PM
The talent pool compared to years past is incredible. One of the best talent pools, probably the best I have ever seen, from legitimate starting prospects well through the rounds of the draft. The talent pool being so great doesn't mean this draft is more important than others. We've traded away key resources and received fair compensation, it is important to replace that.

Well it's not really my point as to why this draft is so important but if it's an epic draft talent wise wouldn't it be epic to do well in this "once in a lifetime draft"

Requiem
04-15-2010, 04:29 PM
It is always important to do well in the draft, regardless of the talent pool.

DBroncos4life
04-15-2010, 04:32 PM
Well it's not really my point as to why this draft is so important but if it's an epic draft talent wise wouldn't it be epic to do well in this "once in a lifetime draft"

If we miss on this draft then we won't be competing in the AFC any time soon. There are soooo many good teams in the AFC right now.

I'm not even talking about super stars we need at least 4 ten year players. OL/DL type players. Guys that you can count on without having to think about replacing for years.

DBroncos4life
04-15-2010, 04:36 PM
It is always important to do well in the draft, regardless of the talent pool.

While that is true, if you are not drafting better then the teams that always finish better then you, you are F'd. That's why the Lions, Browns and Raiders never get anywhere. If teams like Indy, New England, and SD all have stronger drafts then us it makes it impossible for us to make up ground. Then we have to make up ground via FA and that's not the right way to rebuild teams.

gyldenlove
04-15-2010, 04:47 PM

Fully agree, this draft is just as important as all other drafts, if one thing has been proven by the top teams the last 10 years it is that you need to draft well.

baja
04-15-2010, 04:50 PM
Fully agree, this draft is just as important as all other drafts, if one thing has been proven by the top teams the last 10 years it is that you need to draft well.

Thing is if Josh does well he and the Broncos are on their way to sucess

if not we have to start over with someone else at HC.

We're talking years here of

Good or Bad

Steve Sewell
04-15-2010, 05:53 PM
All I know is that we're one player away from having the best young O-line in the NFL.

gunns
04-15-2010, 06:03 PM
I think this year is much more important than last year. Last year McD was testing the waters and has now had a year with the team. I'm hoping he see's the mistakes he made and has a clearer picture of what he wants and needs. This year he will be criticized or praised much more than last because because he should know.

orange&blue87
04-15-2010, 06:05 PM
I feel they are equally important, with this one being an opportunity to really land some talent.

If Denver drafts well in 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2007 the idea of 2010 being more important is non-existant.

Mr.Meanie
04-15-2010, 06:11 PM
Chicagos 1st
Our 2nd, Miami's 2nd

Quinn deal is for 2011 and 2012

Dagmar
04-15-2010, 06:17 PM
Quinn deal is for 2011 and 2012

I think he's talking about Richard Quinn.

Mr.Meanie
04-15-2010, 06:18 PM
I think he's talking about Richard Quinn.

Richard Quinn was part of the trade with the Steelers that send two 3rds for a 2nd and a 4th

Dagmar
04-15-2010, 06:19 PM
Richard Quinn was part of the trade with the Steelers that send two 3rds for a 2nd and a 4th

I'll just shut my big fat mouth...

Cito Pelon
04-15-2010, 06:35 PM
All drafts are equally important.

baja
04-15-2010, 06:38 PM
All drafts are equally important.

Every team has it's signature drafts this is one of them for Josh McDaniels and the Broncos.

Dagmar
04-15-2010, 06:45 PM
What are some examples of a team's signature draft?

Tombstone RJ
04-15-2010, 06:47 PM
poll coming

quit jerking off

baja
04-15-2010, 06:51 PM

Besides this one I don't have one on the tip of my tongue but I'm sure there are many because the idea is valid. Every season is uniquely different for each team and there are crucial drafts that can be pointed to as a turning point, good or bad.

baja
04-15-2010, 06:58 PM
quit jerking off

How the hell did you know.

Tombstone RJ
04-15-2010, 07:03 PM

The Steeler's draft in like 1973 or 1974 was epic and rolled them to 4 lombardis in the 1970s. The 49ers under Walsh had a few very good drafts from like 1979 to 1982 which rolled them into the 1980s. The Cowboys draft after they traded away Herschel Walker was epic and set them up for their championships.

TheReverend
04-15-2010, 07:43 PM

I was actually talking about Richard Quinn. So do we have a 5th? If not, where?

Cito Pelon
04-16-2010, 05:31 PM
Every team has it's signature drafts this is one of them for Josh McDaniels and the Broncos.

OK, I see that angle. It takes me a while to catch on sometimes.