PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Rule Changes, Taunting can cost points! Eyeblack messages gone, and Wedges!

Doggcow
04-15-2010, 01:57 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/10209/ncaa-approves-taunting-rule-for-2011?body=a%20deal%20ball%20foul&prosaction=newpost&status=ok

The NCAA's Playing Rules Oversight Panel has approved three changes for college football, and the one that's sure to garner the most debate is the taunting rule.

Beginning in 2011, if a player is penalized for taunting an opponent on his way to a touchdown that play will be nullified. Currently, that would be a deal-ball foul and assessed on the ensuing kickoff.

But the new rule will make it a live-ball foul, meaning if a player holds the ball out in a taunting manner as he's crossing the goal line, does some type of somersault heading into the end zone or high steps his way into the end zone, the touchdown will be called back and the penalty will be assessed from the spot of the foul.

I can already hear the outcry when the first one's called back in the SEC.

Critics of this rule say it's too subjective. For instance, do you throw the flag if the player is pumping his first wildly to the crowd as he nears the goal line and an opposing player just happens to be nearby?

Get ready for some serious debate, and I don't want to be anywhere near the stadium the day a game-winning touchdown is taken away in the final minutes because a taunting flag was thrown.

Better yet, I don't want to be anywhere near the official that threw the flag.

One thing to remember is that excessive celebration penalties won't fall into this category. So if a player is called for dancing in the end zone with teammates, that by rule is still a dead-ball foul and will be assessed on the ensuing kickoff.

Even that one has come under fire, though. Just ask A.J. Green and the Georgia fans.

Doggcow
04-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Btw I'm not sure what a deal-ball penalty is.

PRBronco
04-15-2010, 02:16 PM
Good, eye black messages are so obnoxious.

Flex Gunmetal
04-15-2010, 02:23 PM
How could anyone have thought this would be a good idea?

Garcia Bronco
04-15-2010, 02:38 PM
How could anyone have thought this would be a good idea?

Simple. Our country is full of pussies who can't take getting their nose rubbed in it in a sport that for all intents and purposes....doesn't matter.

Doggcow
04-15-2010, 03:00 PM
I'm just hoping they add it in NCAA 11, have an EXCESS-O-METER that raises as you taunt, and if you go over the limit FLAG!

Pick Six
04-15-2010, 03:37 PM
I believe the NFL rule for excessive celebration involves a group of more than 2 people. The NCAA should just adopt that.

FADERPROOF
04-15-2010, 07:25 PM
Of course they have to wait til Tim Tebow is gone before they do away with the idiotic eye black messages.

Hogan11
04-15-2010, 07:35 PM
Of course they have to wait til Tim Tebow is gone before they do away with the idiotic eye black messages.

I thought the very same thing

DenverBrit
04-15-2010, 07:53 PM
i thought the very same thing

+1

Dr. Broncenstein
04-15-2010, 08:02 PM
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/multimedia/dynamic/00074/tebow-eyeblack-rom_74296c.jpg

HA HA! I'm preaching with my face.

Bronco CB40
04-15-2010, 08:14 PM
I'm not sure if this was necessary. It's seems like most of the over-the-top taunting was stamped out by the rules implemented in the 1990s when programs like the U were going overboard with their extracurricular activities.

Football is a game of emotion and players are going to spontaneously erupt in joy and fervor when they score a touchdown. Officials are known to throw flags on the most petty stuff.

I also don't like the rule outlawing the wedge. Football is becoming more and more like flag football every year.

bowtown
04-15-2010, 08:22 PM
Not Cool Ass Association

Whatever, I'd like to see you do better.

Dr. Broncenstein
04-15-2010, 08:43 PM
No Can Assclown Anymore

bowtown
04-15-2010, 08:47 PM
No Can Assclown Anymore

better.

oubronco
04-15-2010, 08:48 PM
But the new rule will make it a live-ball foul, meaning if a player holds the ball out in a taunting manner as he's crossing the goal line, does some type of somersault heading into the end zone or high steps his way into the end zone, the touchdown will be called back and the penalty will be assessed from the spot of the foul.

This is just plain stupid they need to let them have a little fun cause we know they can't have any in the No Fun League

Dr. Broncenstein
04-15-2010, 08:52 PM

This is just plain stupid they need to let them have a little fun cause we know they can't have any in the No Fun League

Yeah, but in the NFL they can rape the shiat out of college girls and totally get away with it.

RMT
04-15-2010, 08:55 PM

Yeah, so much for freedom of speech. Just another example of a double standard in our country.

bowtown
04-15-2010, 09:01 PM
Yeah, so much for freedom of speech. Just another example of a double standard in our country.

What's the double standard?

Kaylore
04-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Yeah, but in the NFL they can rape the shiat out of college girls and totally get away with it.

Yeah no kidding.

Kid A
04-15-2010, 09:57 PM
The excessive celebration penalties were already a mess before (it seems there are at least 3 or 4 big games a year that are altered by a ticky tack flag because a couple 19 years got "too" excited about scoring a crucial TD against an arch-rival).

I mean, in theory it shouldn't be that big of deal for players to know not to high step in or point and taunt. But you just know in at least one big game next year some guy is going to dive for the end zone to make sure he gets there, or slow down as he approaches the endzone a little too much, and some ref will have a view that makes it look like excessive celebration.

I understand why both college and pros decided to cut down on the 30-second, choreographed end zone routines. But this idea that penalizing high-stepping or spiking the football makes for a more "sportsmanlike" product is hilariously naive. This is a sport where 90% of the coaches say downright unprintable things to the players every practice. Where at least one player suffers a concussion or serious knee injury almost every game. But, yeah, we can't hurt the pure, wholesome gameplay by letting a player "offend" the opponent with an endzone spike.