PDA

View Full Version : Paige: A lot of winners and losers in this deal

Bronco Rob
04-15-2010, 04:56 AM
Paige: A lot of winners and losers in this deal

By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 04/15/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Beauty killed The Beast? No, it was his own deplorable behavior.

The Real Big Deal is a win-win-lose-win-win-lose-lose-lose-win-lose situation.

Brandon "The Beast" Marshall wins. He got to leave this "bleeping town" he hated and the team and the coach he didn't want to play for and became the highest-paid receiver in the NFL.

The Miami Dolphins win. They got the prime-target, prime-time Pro Bowl wide receiver they sought, although they will pay the price, in more ways than one, and could lose in the end.

Bill Parcells wins and loses. He gets another high-profile, high- reward, high-risk diva wide receiver who, early on, was nicknamed, oddly enough, "Baby T.O." The first T.O., Terrell Owens, and Parcells were united in Dallas. Parcells stopped referring to Owens by name, and Owens started slamming Parcells.

South Beach wins and loses. The Art Deco strip of nightclubs and trendy bars likely will get a regular customer. The Miami Beach police may too.

Josh McDaniels wins and loses. The Broncos coach loses the team's premier wide receiver, but he wins by getting rid of the most detrimental, distracting force on the team, and a player he couldn't control.

The Broncos lose. They lose one of their most productive players (with the offense) and one of their most popular players (with half the fans), and they could be lost next season. They will have lost Marshall, Jay Cutler, Ben Hamilton, Casey Wiegmann, Peyton Hillis and, soon, Tony Scheffler, from the offense in the final year of the Mike Shanahan era. They lose 1,000 yards and 100 catches annually from Marshall.

The Broncos win. They dump a self-centered, self-destructive receiver who was a troublemaker on and about the field. He was not among the NFL's elite in touchdown catches — only reaching 10 once — and certainly was not one of the team's best three receivers ever. And, in Marshall's four seasons, he never participated in a playoff game. The Broncos finished with an average of eight victories a season with him. They certainly can do that without him.

The Broncos win. They didn't have to pay Marshall almost $50 million — $24 million guaranteed — not knowing if he was another DUI charge and yet another domestic abuse arrest away from a full-season suspension, or if he might hold out from camp for even more money or lie that he slipped on an Arby's bag and hurt himself. The Broncos can sign half a dozen quality players for Marshall's salary.

The Broncos win. They can move on with the two second-round draft choices they acquired (which was far greater than the Steelers or the Cardinals received for receivers who also have had 100 catches and 1,200-plus yards). They moved on when Rod Smith, Steve Watson and Ed McCaffrey retired. They can use one of the two second- round choices they have next week to select a wide receiver — getting someone from the group of Golden Tate, Arrelious Benn, Mardy Gilyard, Demaryius Thomas or, yes, even another Brandon — LSU's Brandon LaFell, who has a similar skill set. Then they can get another wide receiver with the second- round pick in 2011.

The Broncos' faithful win and lose. They won't get to watch one of the Broncos' all-time exciting players, who set a record with 21 receptions in one game (breaking T.O.'s mark), but they won't have to put up with his antics that led to suspensions, and, in the end, being suspended and banned from
the sideline by McDaniels for the final game last season, a critical defeat.

Those in Denver who love Marshall and loathe the trade wouldn't have accepted his recurring deplorable behavior from a son, a friend, a neighbor or their own employee, but they tolerated it from someone in a Broncos uniform.

Let's hope that his recent marriage and his 26th birthday, the memory of a horrible tragedy that he and his cousin helped instigate that led to the death of a teammate, the lessons learned from his brushes with the law, and with the Broncos, a new start with a new team and a new city, and the rich contract he ultimately secured will make him a beauty, not the beast.

Let's hope the deal is a win-win for everybody.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14886381

The MVPlaya
04-15-2010, 05:00 AM
Paige: A lot of winners and losers in this deal

By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 04/15/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Beauty killed The Beast? No, it was his own deplorable behavior.

The Real Big Deal is a win-win-lose-win-win-lose-lose-lose-win-lose situation.

Brandon "The Beast" Marshall wins. He got to leave this "bleeping town" he hated and the team and the coach he didn't want to play for and became the highest-paid receiver in the NFL.

The Miami Dolphins win. They got the prime-target, prime-time Pro Bowl wide receiver they sought, although they will pay the price, in more ways than one, and could lose in the end.

Bill Parcells wins and loses. He gets another high-profile, high- reward, high-risk diva wide receiver who, early on, was nicknamed, oddly enough, "Baby T.O." The first T.O., Terrell Owens, and Parcells were united in Dallas. Parcells stopped referring to Owens by name, and Owens started slamming Parcells.

South Beach wins and loses. The Art Deco strip of nightclubs and trendy bars likely will get a regular customer. The Miami Beach police may too.

Josh McDaniels wins and loses. The Broncos coach loses the team's premier wide receiver, but he wins by getting rid of the most detrimental, distracting force on the team, and a player he couldn't control.

The Broncos lose. They lose one of their most productive players (with the offense) and one of their most popular players (with half the fans), and they could be lost next season. They will have lost Marshall, Jay Cutler, Ben Hamilton, Casey Wiegmann, Peyton Hillis and, soon, Tony Scheffler, from the offense in the final year of the Mike Shanahan era. They lose 1,000 yards and 100 catches annually from Marshall.

The Broncos win. They dump a self-centered, self-destructive receiver who was a troublemaker on and about the field. He was not among the NFL's elite in touchdown catches only reaching 10 once and certainly was not one of the team's best three receivers ever. And, in Marshall's four seasons, he never participated in a playoff game. The Broncos finished with an average of eight victories a season with him. They certainly can do that without him.

The Broncos win. They didn't have to pay Marshall almost $50 million $24 million guaranteed not knowing if he was another DUI charge and yet another domestic abuse arrest away from a full-season suspension, or if he might hold out from camp for even more money or lie that he slipped on an Arby's bag and hurt himself. The Broncos can sign half a dozen quality players for Marshall's salary.

The Broncos win. They can move on with the two second-round draft choices they acquired (which was far greater than the Steelers or the Cardinals received for receivers who also have had 100 catches and 1,200-plus yards). They moved on when Rod Smith, Steve Watson and Ed McCaffrey retired. They can use one of the two second- round choices they have next week to select a wide receiver getting someone from the group of Golden Tate, Arrelious Benn, Mardy Gilyard, Demaryius Thomas or, yes, even another Brandon LSU's Brandon LaFell, who has a similar skill set. Then they can get another wide receiver with the second- round pick in 2011.

The Broncos' faithful win and lose. They won't get to watch one of the Broncos' all-time exciting players, who set a record with 21 receptions in one game (breaking T.O.'s mark), but they won't have to put up with his antics that led to suspensions, and, in the end, being suspended and banned from
the sideline by McDaniels for the final game last season, a critical defeat.

Those in Denver who love Marshall and loathe the trade wouldn't have accepted his recurring deplorable behavior from a son, a friend, a neighbor or their own employee, but they tolerated it from someone in a Broncos uniform.

Let's hope that his recent marriage and his 26th birthday, the memory of a horrible tragedy that he and his cousin helped instigate that led to the death of a teammate, the lessons learned from his brushes with the law, and with the Broncos, a new start with a new team and a new city, and the rich contract he ultimately secured will make him a beauty, not the beast.

Let's hope the deal is a win-win for everybody.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14886381

Stopped right there.

WolfpackGuy
04-15-2010, 05:14 AM
This should be revisited after the draft, but the real winner is Brandon Marshall.

UberBroncoMan
04-15-2010, 06:46 AM
" Let's hope the deal is a win-win for everybody."

**** that. What kind of retard wants it to be a "Win" for the Dolphins too. Another AFC team. Reality says let's hope it's a win for us and a loss for the Dolphins.

ColoradoDarin
04-15-2010, 06:58 AM
Wow, that column actually makes sense. Who did the ghost writing? Is Woody really on vacation and they had someone fill in for him? Or is this just the broken clock reflecting the current time?

Broncoman13
04-15-2010, 07:21 AM
Makes sense in some areas.... but I always get a kick out of the argument that we didn't win more than 8 games or go to the playoffs... blahblahblah.

Was Marshall supposed to catch 7 or 8 balls during the game and then turn around and stop the other team's RB from setting his personal career high in rushing? Maybe Brandon Marshall should have played both ways if that is your line of thinking. We didn't lose games b/c of Brandon Marshall, we lost games b/c we couldn't stop our opponents RBs when it counted in the last three years.

Brandon Marshall didn't lead us to the playoffs. This coming from the same believers in we need a complete team that buys in if we are going to win. Here's the part the irks me. You can have 20 well trained horses in your stable, but unless a couple of those horses are Stallions, you aren't going to win many races.

TheReverend
04-15-2010, 07:22 AM
makes sense in some areas.... But i always get a kick out of the argument that we didn't win more than 8 games or go to the playoffs... Blahblahblah.

Was marshall supposed to catch 7 or 8 balls during the game and then turn around and stop the other team's rb from setting his personal career high in rushing? Maybe brandon marshall should have played both ways if that is your line of thinking. We didn't lose games b/c of brandon marshall, we lost games b/c we couldn't stop our opponents rbs when it counted in the last three years.

Brandon marshall didn't lead us to the playoffs. This coming from the same believers in we need a complete team that buys in if we are going to win. Here's the part the irks me. You can have 20 well trained horses in your stable, but unless a couple of those horses are stallions, you aren't going to win many races.

qft

snowspot66
04-15-2010, 10:32 AM
Yeah we need some stallions. But we have to find some first. Cutler and Marshall gave us all a lot of hope at the beginning but it never really amounted to anything. Cutler would throw three picks and Marshall would catch a lot of balls but rarely get a TD. They had three years together with Shanahan and never once outdid the Plummer led 05 offense of Rod Smith, Bell, Anderson, and Jeb "Jacked Up" Putzier.

More and more I feel as if we were spinning our wheels with them.

I think by being rid of them we can finally move on to developing a strong team. It may or may not hurt us in the short term but in the long term I feel as if it's a move in the right direction. Hopefully we'll develop the lines and keep the secondary strong until we can find a good QB in the next couple of years. Once we do that we can easily find quality guys at WR to catch the ball if we are lacking.

Rabb
04-15-2010, 10:38 AM
man we can come out golden from this draft if we don't jockey our picks

take BPA in the first or trade down, then cash in on the 2nds

I'd love to see Tate here

Kaylore
04-15-2010, 12:35 PM
I am very curious how our offense is going to look this year. It should on paper be worse but I kind of think it will get better - especially if we get some interior linemen.

Bob's your Information Minister
04-15-2010, 12:53 PM
I am very curious how our offense is going to look this year. It should on paper be worse but I kind of think it will get better - especially if we get some interior linemen.

Thinking like a Chiefs fan, I see.

Steve Sewell
04-15-2010, 08:37 PM

I was in KC the past few days on business, driving a lot and flipping back and forth between 610 and 810. The way they talk about the Chiefs, you'd think they are a Super Bowl contender for this upcoming season. I mean not on Warpaint Illustrated levels of delusion and homerism, but still.

Its nice to hear that the Chiefs are back to winning the Spring/Summer Super Bowl again.

Hey are you up for any bets this year?

listopencil
04-15-2010, 10:10 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ReYfu5E-hOE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ReYfu5E-hOE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

**** Marshall.

misturanderson
04-15-2010, 10:36 PM

Except that we wouldn't be playing our new interior linemen at tackle.

~Crash~
04-15-2010, 11:00 PM
I was in KC the past few days on business, driving a lot and flipping back and forth between 610 and 810. The way they talk about the Chiefs, you'd think they are a Super Bowl contender for this upcoming season. I mean not on Warpaint Illustrated levels of delusion and homerism, but still.

Its nice to hear that the Chiefs are back to winning the Spring/Summer Super Bowl again.

Hey are you up for any bets this year?

you know talking smack about the Chiefs might sound better if we won them that last game?