PDA

View Full Version : When was the last time we could say this?

BroncoBuff
04-14-2010, 07:43 PM
This year we will likely field a below average offense, and an above-average defense.

It's been a LONG time. Perhaps even 1981.

Thank heavens we made those huge singings along the D-line. We will likely have a VERY good defense.

bowtown
04-14-2010, 07:48 PM
Been been dreaming of this day since 1986.

strafen
04-14-2010, 07:50 PM
We're building our defense around Martindale.
Our offense to be built, modified and forced to fit Orton.

Guys, to be an elite premier team in this league, you have to have premier-elite players.
We're just another average NFL team right now, whether people like it or not.
Mr. nobody is bigger than me, may have just punched his ticket out of town if he doesn't win and produce this year.
He'll be back as an assistant coach right where he belongs...

Bob's your Information Minister
04-14-2010, 07:52 PM
Thank heavens we made those huge singings along the D-line. We will likely have a VERY good defense.

Doubtful. Jamal Williams is nothing but a stopgap and your age in the secondary is going to be a problem.

Soul-Bronco
04-14-2010, 07:59 PM
NE did have great defenses every SB win, keep addin talent on both sides of the ball and produce a quality TEAM!

TotallyScrewed
04-14-2010, 08:07 PM
I love defensive football...especially scoring defense. I hope we see lots of #20 and #24 running back INT's.

TheReverend
04-14-2010, 08:10 PM
Jake Plummer era?

Dedhed
04-14-2010, 08:16 PM
I think the offense is going to be far superior to last year.

04-14-2010, 08:19 PM
I think the offense is going to be far superior to last year.

True. Another year in the system should do WONDERS for Orton!

Bronco Rob
04-14-2010, 08:21 PM
This year we will likely field a below average offense, and an above-average defense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_Denver_Broncos_season

2KBack
04-14-2010, 08:47 PM

robbieopperude
04-14-2010, 08:56 PM
I would be shocked if we go 8-8 this year. I guess the schedule will have alot to do with it. I would think we should have swept the Raiders and Chiefs last year. This year I am putting us down for a split.

robbieopperude
04-14-2010, 08:57 PM
Note: I recall some pretty good defenses during the SB years with Elway. Quality veteran DL signings were made and Mobley was a very good LB at the time.

sixtimeseight
04-14-2010, 09:01 PM

2009 you ****ing moron. 20th in offense, 12th in defense.

HAT
04-14-2010, 09:07 PM

hahahahaha....I may have said the following phrase before....But this time I mean it:

"That is the best/funniest thing I have read on the Mane in years"

Well played 6 x 8

Kaylore
04-14-2010, 09:23 PM
hahahahaha....I may have said the following phrase before....But this time I mean it:

"That is the best/funniest thing I have read on the Mane in years"

Well played 6 x 8

I honestly thought this was a year old thread and was about to give props to Buff for calling it.

BroncoBuff
04-14-2010, 09:27 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_Denver_Broncos_seasonNote: I recall some pretty good defenses during the SB years with Elway. Quality veteran DL signings were made and Mobley was a very good LB at the time.

You guys are right ... I automatically excluded the Elway years.

And 2KB is kinda right ... we had excellent defenses under Larry Coyer. But the offense were pretty good too. Jake set a few franchise records for passing totals, and the Marine and Tatum Bell had 1000 yard seasons ... didn't we have 2 1000 yarders one year? So at least not BELOW average.

Excellent, thanks! Then it's gonna be even MORESO now then, isn't it? Although that doesn't say much for Josh, as the '08 offense was far far higher ... and it says quite a lot for (the dearly departed) Mike Nolan, as the '08 defense was far far lower.

Thanks for that, I'm gonna use that more more moron! :thumbs:

And, while that is very funny Khan ... you're in the same boat as 6x8, what you're saying is that Josh's side was "below average" despite much higher 2008 numbers, and the departed Nolan's side was above average, despite much lower '08 numbers, and a complete scheme changeover. You guys really wanna go there?

Dagmar
04-14-2010, 09:28 PM
http://boldt.us/4556-3/ROFL_MAO

Dagmar
04-14-2010, 09:29 PM
Excellent, thanks! Then it's gonna be even MORESO now then, isn't it? Although that doesn't say much for Josh, as the '08 offense was far far higher ... and it says quite a lot for (the dearly departed) Mike Nolan, as the '08 defense was far far lower.

Thanks for that, I'm gonna use that more more moron! :Thumbs:

And, while that is very funny Khan, just like 6x8, what you're saying is that Josh's side was "below average," and the departed Nolan's side was abover average, despite a complete scheme changeover. You guys really wanna go there?

Why call them out for merely responding to your post?

BMarsh615
04-14-2010, 09:32 PM
Doubtful. Jamal Williams is nothing but a stopgap and your age in the secondary is going to be a problem.

That is why we have guys like Bruton, McBath, Alphonso Smith, and Tony Carter waiting in the wings. The age in the secondary isn't that big of an issue.

BroncoBuff
04-14-2010, 09:33 PM
Why call them out for merely responding to your post?

Because it's a message board? And I disagree with them?

And the point they're driving home runs counter to their positions re: Shanahan, Slowick, Josh and Nolan.

Funny, this was meant as a positive thread when is started ... really it was.

Then somebody called me a moron :(

Bronco Boy
04-14-2010, 09:35 PM
None of you have any idea what will happen this season. No one does. Not even Jamie Dukes.

Kaylore
04-14-2010, 09:36 PM

And the point they're driving home runs counter to their positions re: Shanahan, Slowick, Josh and Nolan.

You disagree with me on what?

gunns
04-14-2010, 09:37 PM
I love defensive football...especially scoring defense. I hope we see lots of #20 and #24 running back INT's.

Me too. I'd be more than happy with a premier-elite defense than a premier elite offense.

2KBack
04-14-2010, 09:39 PM
You guys are right ... I automatically excluded the Elway years.

And 2KB is kinda right ... we had excellent defenses under Larry Coyer. But the offense were pretty good too. Jake set a few franchise records for passing totals, and the Marine and Tatum Bell had 1000 yard seasons ... didn't we have 2 1000 yarders one year? So at least not BELOW average.

Thanks for that, I'm gonna use that more more moron! :thumbs:

And, while that is very funny Khan ... you're in the same boat as 6x8, what you're saying is that Josh's side was "below average" despite much higher 2008 numbers, and the departed Nolan's side was above average, despite much lower '08 numbers, and a complete scheme changeover. You guys really wanna go there?

I say 2006 with a clause, because that was such an odd year. The defense was technically better than the offense that year, but not by as much as the final stats show IMO. We certainly didn't know that the offense was going to nose dive like it did, the O was pretty good in 2005.

As for those calling out Buff for the thread. We didn't go into the season knowing the defense would out play the offense. to be honest, I'm not sure it did by much anyway, The D had some VERY bad days, and the offense had some pretty good ones.

This season were are going in with the assumption that the D will be superior to the O. Buff is right that we really haven't gone into a season thinking that will be the case in a long time.

Dagmar
04-14-2010, 09:40 PM

How can you disagree with cold hard facts? That's all Khan brought up?

BroncoBuff
04-14-2010, 09:42 PM
You disagree with me on what?

No, you guys are right ... '09 was a below average O and above-average D.

But seeing that our '08 offense was above average, and dropped to below under Josh ... and seeing how our '08 defense was (way) below average and climbed to above average with an entirely new scheme and under the now-departed (and now talking) Mike Nolan ... that runs counter to what I hear from the pro-Josh and anti-Nolan (at least since he left) stances.

Seems like you wouldn't want to remind us of that ???

BroncoBuff
04-14-2010, 09:43 PM
How can you disagree with cold hard facts? That's all Khan brought up?

Didn't disagree. Agreed.

gunns
04-14-2010, 09:45 PM

You let 6 X 8 get to you?? Please Buff, he's so totally insignif. He's only here to stroke his own ego by posting BS about his betting, as if anyone gave a **** to begin with.

Dagmar
04-14-2010, 09:49 PM
I'm very confused at this point! LOL

HAT
04-14-2010, 09:57 PM
I'm very confused at this point! LOL

I agree with you.

Until proven wrong....Then I will retract my agreement, call you wrong and everybody else right.

(With the caveat that they are only right because you were wrong in the first place)......

Unless of course, I'm mistaken.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-14-2010, 09:59 PM

I love this...because he spews it as fact even though its based on nothing! Another well thought out post by Bob. Keep em comin.

Kaylore
04-14-2010, 10:20 PM
No, you guys are right ... '09 was a below average O and above-average D.

But seeing that our '08 offense was above average, and dropped to below under Josh ... and seeing how our '08 defense was (way) below average and climbed to above average with an entirely new scheme and under the now-departed (and now talking) Mike Nolan ... that runs counter to what I hear from the pro-Josh and anti-Nolan (at least since he left) stances.

Seems like you wouldn't want to remind us of that ???

I don't want to remind of anything. I wrote one sentence. I thought this was a year old thread and was about to give you kudos and realized you were talking about something that was going to happen that already did. I literally wrote one sentence saying as much. Somehow that lumped me into attacking and disagreeing with you.

FWIW I think the offense took steps back clearly in points scored. It dropped about five spots in scoring from '08 to '09. However the defense make quantum leaps forward and that meant we needed fewer points to win the same number of games against much better teams. 8-8 in a year against poor competition to 8-8 in a rebuilding year against brutal competition is an improvement.

However at the end of the day 8-8 and isn't good enough. If we're still farting around that number at the end of the year and the below average offense is a result, then I think Josh should take the heat. Bowlen didn't fire one .500 football coach to hire another one.

extralife
04-14-2010, 10:21 PM
Been been dreaming of this day since 1986.

...you've been dreaming of having a "below average offense?"

baja
04-14-2010, 10:23 PM
I agree with you.

Until proven wrong....Then I will retract my agreement, call you wrong and everybody else right.

(With the caveat that they are only right because you were wrong in the first place)......

Unless of course, I'm mistaken.

OK I must have missed something...

Crushaholic
04-14-2010, 10:29 PM

Positive thread? Really? It looks like you are implying that the Broncos offense will suffer because we don't have the McDonald's bag puncher...

BroncoBuff
04-14-2010, 10:32 PM
I don't want to remind of anything. I wrote one sentence. I thought this was a year old thread and was about to give you kudos and realized you were talking about something that was going to happen that already did. I literally wrote one sentence saying as much. Somehow that lumped me into attacking and disagreeing with you.

Oh okay ... I thought your post was all sarcasm, that you were clowning me.

And for the last time everybody .... yes, this very year was "the last time," so my bad.

Thread premise = Fail.

Happy now?

Dagmar
04-14-2010, 10:34 PM
http://ihasahotdog.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/129090356221544556.jpg

BroncoBuff
04-14-2010, 10:49 PM
However the defense make quantum leaps forward and that meant we needed fewer points to win the same number of games against much better teams. 8-8 in a year against poor competition to 8-8 in a rebuilding year against brutal competition is an improvement.

Very fair analysis ... I think even on this board the D-line signings are a bit under-appreciated. We could easily be a Top 5 defense ... Haggan and Ayers are the only real "iffy" guys. We could definitely use some LB depth, there's not much there ... Woodyard and Braxton are the only backups listed here: http://www.nfl.com/teams/roster?d-447263-o=2&team=den&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=persons.primary_Position.id.position_Id&d-447263-n=1

~Crash~
04-14-2010, 11:17 PM
i think the offense is going to be far superior to last year.rofl!

~Crash~
04-14-2010, 11:19 PM
Positive thread? Really? It looks like you are implying that the Broncos offense will suffer because we don't have the McDonald's bag puncher...

no it might be we have no ****ing Center or LG worth a ****.:sunshine:

Blueflame
04-14-2010, 11:26 PM
Also, Buff... our defense was far superior to our offense in 2006.

robbieopperude
04-15-2010, 01:59 AM
W/Out looking back I can say with a good amount of certainty that we did not have good defenses under Larry Coyer. We had bend but don't break defenses that required efficiency from the QB to beat us. Most of the time it required achieving multiple 3rd downs on a single possession to score. We did very well with that defense and it got us in the playoffs. The D itself was not above average however. I would also describe the previous years defense as merely average.

My expectations for this years defense is a Top 12 in yardage and Top 8 in scoring. The problem is I could see our offense finishing in the high 20's in both categories. I am not saying we can't win 10 games. I am just saying optimal performance will be required to win 10 with the current roster. Of course we are going to add 3 able players in about a week that will change things alot around here.

extralife
04-15-2010, 03:22 AM
W/Out looking back I can say with a good amount of certainty that we did not have good defenses under Larry Coyer.

<a href="http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/2005.htm">2005</a>: 3 in points against, 15 in yards. 2 against the run, 29 against the pass. No real surprise to anyone that remembers that team. Like the philosophy or no, we were 13-3 playing defense and running the ball.

ZONA
04-15-2010, 03:32 AM
Lets be real and honest and then real honest.

Even with Marshall, without better run blocking, this team was not going to be dangerous. If we have a solid draft and and the linemen we draft come up big for us and our running game improves alot, I think we could manage to make the playoffs. But forget doing anything at all in the playoffs with Orton. You want to get back to the Superbowl, we need a serious upgrade at the most important position there is.

rastaman
04-15-2010, 03:57 AM

Keep in mind even a very good defense can get worn out over the course of a 16 game season should the D find themselves out on the field continuously b/c the Offense can't move the ball or score enough points to help out the Defense.

Just a thought.

rastaman
04-15-2010, 04:01 AM
Lets be real and honest and then real honest.

Even with Marshall, without better run blocking, this team was not going to be dangerous. If we have a solid draft and and the linemen we draft come up big for us and our running game improves alot, I think we could manage to make the playoffs. But forget doing anything at all in the playoffs with Orton. You want to get back to the Superbowl, we need a serious upgrade at the most important position there is.

Agreed. The keys for the Broncos success short and long term is build a NY Jets OL. The 2010 draft will have several OL to chose from. If I were McD I'd use my first 2 or 3 picks to address the OL and draft linemen that would fit what McD wants for an OL.

WolfpackGuy
04-15-2010, 04:01 AM
The 1991 and 1992 teams had pretty good defense and mediocre offense.

Too bad the rules are bent increasingly more towards the offense.

Apparently, the not so new staff missed this memo.

Awesome!

rastaman
04-15-2010, 04:06 AM
I would be shocked if we go 8-8 this year. I guess the schedule will have alot to do with it. I would think we should have swept the Raiders and Chiefs last year. This year I am putting us down for a split.

I think losing Marshall will equate to winning 6 games this year.

11-12-2010, 03:02 PM

This thread is fun!

11-12-2010, 03:03 PM
We could easily be a Top 5 defense

Top five in what, though?