PDA

View Full Version : Where are all those people...

Broncoman13
04-14-2010, 07:28 PM
That said there is no way that Brandon Marshall would be paid top 3 WR money?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not upset that we didn't give him that huge contract, but I never thought for a second that someone wouldn't step up with that kind of $$$.

So, who here was surprised he got the $?

broncosteven
04-14-2010, 07:44 PM
I thought and argued he was a top 2 WR but I am over it. WR's are a luxury, in the physical team 1st offense mCd wants to run.

Guys that can block down field and run comeback routes are the guys he wants. Not the streaking downfield blazers.

ColoradoDarin
04-14-2010, 07:47 PM
I'm shocked. Really. Handing Marshall a check for $24 million and a job near South Beach? I'll be shocked if he doesn't go a year down there without getting an 8 game suspension.

Chris
04-14-2010, 07:50 PM
Not here.

broncosteven
04-14-2010, 07:52 PM
I'm shocked. Really. Handing Marshall a check for $24 million and a job near South Beach? I'll be shocked if he doesn't go a year down there without getting an 8 game suspension.

It is going to be interesting seeing if he can stay out of trouble down there.

Popps
04-14-2010, 07:54 PM
That said there is no way that Brandon Marshall would be paid top 3 WR money? ?

I don't think many people said he couldn't find a team dumb enough to pay it.

The argument was over whether or not he was worth it.

Clearly, Broncos fans on this board feel he was not.

The Dolphins will find that out soon, Give it time. ****, he'll be smacking up a bitch before the end of the season.

orangemonkey
04-14-2010, 08:03 PM
When Larry Fitzgerald worked out with Bmarsh last year and called him a "specimen", when Asomugha said this year that Brandon is the toughest receiver he has ever had to tackle and, with 3x100 yard seasons under his belt at such a young age, NO FRIGGEN WAY am I surprised he will be paid as #1 receiver in the NFL. I'm happy that he cleaned up his off-field issues this past year, mentored his cousin and got married. I wish him the best. It's crystal clear he was severely underpaid in Denver.

theAPAOps5
04-14-2010, 08:14 PM
Count me as surprised not at the huge contract but at the huge amount of up front money.

As with all things in life you have to take a risk. Miami sure is doing that with Marshall.

broncosteven
04-14-2010, 08:21 PM
Count me as surprised not at the huge contract but at the huge amount of up front money.

As with all things in life you have to take a risk. Miami sure is doing that with Marshall.

They seemed to find their new franchise QB last year and with someone who is as big a receiving threat as Marshall is Brown should get some bigger runs and have to take less pounding. I was surprised they gave up on a #1 pick to trade for a #4 with off field issues but Marshall is a top 3 WR and has the check to prove it.

TotallyScrewed
04-14-2010, 08:36 PM
They've all got something better to do. I can't tell you how many posts I've read that someone on the OM said Brandon was getting a dose of reality and that nobody wanted him or would put up with (or put out) for his shenanigans.

Epic.

As I understand it...He's the highest paid WR ever.

Sad that Denver lost him.

theAPAOps5
04-14-2010, 08:39 PM
They seemed to find their new franchise QB last year and with someone who is as big a receiving threat as Marshall is Brown should get some bigger runs and have to take less pounding. I was surprised they gave up on a #1 pick to trade for a #4 with off field issues but Marshall is a top 3 WR and has the check to prove it.

I agree his stats and ability are tops in the league. I just didn't think a team would give that much up front with his history. Congrats to him hope he makes the best of it.

TonyR
04-14-2010, 08:48 PM
I'll admit I'm surprised at the size of the contract. It reflects his value as a football player but certainly not the risk. But at the same time, where are all the people who thought teams would be lining up to trade a
first round pick or better for him?

orangemonkey
04-14-2010, 08:54 PM
I'll admit I'm surprised at the size of the contract. It reflects his value as a football player but certainly not the risk. But at the same time, where are all the people who thought teams would be lining up to trade a

I think many more teams would have taken a shot at him during or right before the draft and for that reason Miami knocked it out of the park now. I guess we'll never know. I also agree with some "experts" that think McD didn't sell it very well.

strafen
04-14-2010, 09:02 PM
I'm shocked. Really. Handing Marshall a check for $24 million and a job near South Beach? I'll be shocked if he doesn't go a year down there without getting an 8 game suspension.That will make the trade much better for you to swallow.
The fact is, the guy is now happy he's getting paid as the highest paid WR in NFL history.
His production on the field next year is going to make you puke in anger...

Sassy
04-14-2010, 09:17 PM
Bye Brandon...:devil:

peacepipe
04-14-2010, 09:33 PM
considering clauses can be put in a contract to address "off-field" problems,it was no surprise that he got paid. I said it quite a few times,if we didn't pay him big someoneelse would.

Florida_Bronco
04-14-2010, 09:36 PM

Co-sign

Drek
04-14-2010, 09:53 PM
The amount of guaranteed cash he received really is mind blowing. When you consider that the 4 year extension makes his $2.5M base for this year guaranteed as well he's looking at $26.5M, or just over 50% of the biggest WR contract in NFL history, already guaranteed to him.

I'm just glad it isn't the Broncos taking the risk. Maybe he'll be a model citizen in Miami, but he didn't want to be in Denver and for whatever reason he couldn't control himself while playing here. Its a shame but McDaniels once again took a bad situation and made the best of it.

HAT
04-14-2010, 09:59 PM
It's crystal clear he was severely underpaid in Denver.

Hell Yeaaaaaaaah. I ****ing love it when one of my favorite teams gets BEAST like production on a rookie contract and then maximizes the trade value before their FA year while another conference team picks up the tab on said players "comfort" contract.

Thank you B-Marsh for your years of GREAT production on the cheap. Glad you got your cash bro....You earned it! :thumbs:

strafen
04-14-2010, 10:12 PM

We're talking Bill Parcells here. I'm pretty sure he's aware of the risks and I wouldn't be surprised if he has all of his bases covered...

theAPAOps5
04-14-2010, 10:21 PM
We're talking Bill Parcells here. I'm pretty sure he's aware of the risks and I wouldn't be surprised if he has all of his bases covered...

Yep Parcels has a taste for risk. Its just that Miami came out of nowhere and gave such a huge deal. Thats why I am surprised.

Again kudos to Brandon for getting paid after all the off field issues he has had. And if he toes the line and gets better than kudos to Miami for taking a chance.

Kaylore
04-14-2010, 10:32 PM
That said there is no way that Brandon Marshall would be paid top 3 WR money?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not upset that we didn't give him that huge contract, but I never thought for a second that someone wouldn't step up with that kind of $$$.

So, who here was surprised he got the $?

I think people were saying he wouldn't get that money from us. There weren' many people saying no one would pay him.

baja
04-14-2010, 10:37 PM
Brandon's wife read contract - Want's divorce.

misturanderson
04-14-2010, 11:13 PM
considering clauses can be put in a contract to address "off-field" problems,it was no surprise that he got paid. I said it quite a few times,if we didn't pay him big someoneelse would.

This simply isn't true. Miami is now out any bonus money that the have paid Marshall even if he is suspended before the season starts. They MAY be able to recoup some of it, but not very much of it. Vick only had to pay back $3 million of his $20 million signing bonus to Atlanta and he was using that money to bankroll an illegal dogfighting ring.

I guess maybe something has changed since the CBA expired, but before that the team had no option to recoup bonus money after it had been paid.

Meck77
04-14-2010, 11:54 PM
Only time will tell.

~Crash~
04-15-2010, 12:01 AM
sad day that Bowlen is this damn broke.

~Crash~
04-15-2010, 12:02 AM
Denver Bengals

colonelbeef
04-15-2010, 02:07 AM
I don't think many people said he couldn't find a team dumb enough to pay it.

The argument was over whether or not he was worth it.

Clearly, Broncos fans on this board feel he was not.

The Dolphins will find that out soon, Give it time. ****, he'll be smacking up a b**** before the end of the season.

So now Bill Parcells is 'dumb enough' and you seriously think that Josh McDaniels knows more about football players than he does eh?

Marshall was the best player on the team last year, and as McDaniels so ably proved in the last draft, picks are nothing more than a gamble, and often are worthless and wasted.

Fact:Bill Parcells has much more credibility as a personnel man than Josh McDaniels does. So does Mike Shanahan. It comes with the territory when you have won multiple championships.

McDaniels getting a couple od 2nds for a player regarded across the league as top 3 at his position and still yet to enter his prime is highly dubious.

But yeah, I can't wait until the Denver Boyscouts raise that banner next year with Kyle Orton @ QB and Jabbar Gaffney as the #1 WR.

Laughable

~Crash~
04-15-2010, 02:16 AM
So now Bill Parcells is 'dumb enough' and you seriously think that Josh McDaniels knows more about football players than he does eh?

Marshall was the best player on the team last year, and as McDaniels so ably proved in the last draft, picks are nothing more than a gamble, and often are worthless and wasted.

Fact:Bill Parcells has much more credibility as a personnel man than Josh McDaniels does. So does Mike Shanahan. It comes with the territory when you have won multiple championships.

McDaniels getting a couple od 2nds for a player regarded across the league as top 3 at his position and still yet to enter his prime is highly dubious.

But yeah, I can't wait until the Denver Boyscouts raise that banner next year with Kyle Orton @ QB and Jabbar Gaffney as the #1 WR.

Laughable

now now **** head is the man ,..

TonyR
04-15-2010, 06:48 AM

If the deal is such a no brainer from the Dolphins' perspective then why weren't more teams interested? And he's a great player but I'm not aware of any consensus opinion that he's top 3. If he was then wouldn't teams have been lining up to acquire him? I guess Parcells is the only smart personnel guy out there? A little odd, isn't it?

TonyR
04-15-2010, 06:50 AM

This deal has very little to do with Bowlen not being able to afford it. Did you not see all the money they put on the line to FA's this offseason?

Broncoman13
04-15-2010, 06:53 AM

Here, Sir.

Broncoman13
04-15-2010, 07:09 AM
This deal has very little to do with Bowlen not being able to afford it. Did you not see all the money they put on the line to FA's this offseason?

Actually is has an awful lot to do with $$$. There has long been talk in Denver that Pat Bowlen knew he wouldn't be keeping several of those high priced players when he fired Mike Shanahan. I think the conversation includes about 7 or 8 guys. Originally (when McD took over) you had Cutler, Marshall, Clady, Kuper, Bailey, and DJ Williams that were all looking at getting some serious jack. They found a reason to trade Cutler and did their best to make it look at least like it was forced by Cutler. What it came down to though, was McD thought he could win without having to pay Cutler huge $. Then came Marshall. Again, the team has a "good excuse" to not pay him big $. They never intended to pay him big money which is why they traded him. They would have traded him last year but nobody was biting with his pending trial.

Now you have a couple new players that have entered the mix that will require relatively high contracts. Dumervil and Kyle Orton. You're nuts if you think Pat Bowlen is going to give both big money. Shy of Kyle Orton having an All-pro season, I think you can assume he won't get that big contract he wants.

Needless to say, I still think this has an awful lot to do with Pat Bowlen's willingness to give big pay days. My question is this, why? I know he was stung by FA's getting huge $ and then never showing up on the field. But we're talking about our home grown talent here. As a Bronco Fan since I was about 4 years old, I have to ask... Why are we so willing to lose the guys that have the ability to help us win?

I kind of feel bad for McD b/c I don't think this is all on him. In fact, I think he'll be a scapegoat of this in about two years. He won't win enough to keep him in Denver and a new coach will come in and have to start from ground zero... and it will be blamed on McD for "running off" the talent.

Broncoman13
04-15-2010, 07:11 AM
If the deal is such a no brainer from the Dolphins' perspective then why weren't more teams interested? And he's a great player but I'm not aware of any consensus opinion that he's top 3. If he was then wouldn't teams have been lining up to acquire him? I guess Parcells is the only smart personnel guy out there? A little odd, isn't it?

There were more teams interested. There was a pretty large segment on it last night on the Fan. Many more teams were involved, but it was Brandon's willingness to sign and play for Miami that put the icing on the cake.

kamakazi_kal
04-15-2010, 07:26 AM
Just like Cutler he got what he wanted ..... out from under Mcd and a fat contract. How come we couldn't have just forced Marshall to play for another year or two?

Broncoman13
04-15-2010, 07:28 AM
Just like Cutler he got what he wanted ..... out from under Mcd and a fat contract. How come we couldn't have just forced Marshall to play for another year or two?

Disruption.

kamakazi_kal
04-15-2010, 07:29 AM

Well, his last 3 years production and what he just got paid says he's top 3. Also you don't know what teams were intrested in Marsh, you only know what ESPN and the rumor mill tells you. Just like the rest of us.

Maybe we got offered a first but Pat don't want to cough up for a number 1 commitment. 2nds are allot more affordable while still providing very good talent. Mcd seems to love collecting draft picks ...... you just don't know.

_Oro_
04-15-2010, 08:27 AM
Actually is has an awful lot to do with $$$. There has long been talk in Denver that Pat Bowlen knew he wouldn't be keeping several of those high priced players when he fired Mike Shanahan. I think the conversation includes about 7 or 8 guys. Originally (when McD took over) you had Cutler, Marshall, Clady, Kuper, Bailey, and DJ Williams that were all looking at getting some serious jack. They found a reason to trade Cutler and did their best to make it look at least like it was forced by Cutler. What it came down to though, was McD thought he could win without having to pay Cutler huge $. Then came Marshall. Again, the team has a "good excuse" to not pay him big $. They never intended to pay him big money which is why they traded him. They would have traded him last year but nobody was biting with his pending trial.

Now you have a couple new players that have entered the mix that will require relatively high contracts. Dumervil and Kyle Orton. You're nuts if you think Pat Bowlen is going to give both big money. Shy of Kyle Orton having an All-pro season, I think you can assume he won't get that big contract he wants.

Needless to say, I still think this has an awful lot to do with Pat Bowlen's willingness to give big pay days. My question is this, why? I know he was stung by FA's getting huge $ and then never showing up on the field. But we're talking about our home grown talent here. As a Bronco Fan since I was about 4 years old, I have to ask... Why are we so willing to lose the guys that have the ability to help us win?

I kind of feel bad for McD b/c I don't think this is all on him. In fact, I think he'll be a scapegoat of this in about two years. He won't win enough to keep him in Denver and a new coach will come in and have to start from ground zero... and it will be blamed on McD for "running off" the talent.

Get used to this. This is the "Patriot way". They get rid of guys at their peak and pick up guys coming off of lows. Then everyone stands around wondering why they just went to the super bowl yet have tons of high draft picks.

TonyR
04-15-2010, 08:41 AM
Actually is has an awful lot to do with $$$.

I didn't say money wasn't an issue. I said it wasn't about Bowlen not being able to afford it. Big difference. If Marshall didn't have the multiple issues Marshall would be a Bronco and we wouldn't be talking about this.

TonyR
04-15-2010, 08:45 AM
There were more teams interested.

There probably were. But there's a big difference between window shopping and transacting. Why didn't the Seahawks pull the trigger? Why did the Ravens and Jets go different directions? Just a few examples. My point being that clearly the Broncos weren't the only team that strongly considered the risks of giving Marshall big $$$. Like it or not this is a business. It's not fantasy football.

TonyR
04-15-2010, 08:50 AM
Get used to this. This is the "Patriot way". They get rid of guys at their peak and pick up guys coming off of lows. Then everyone stands around wondering why they just went to the super bowl yet have tons of high draft picks.

There's some truth to this but I think you're overstating it a bit. Notice, for example, that they didn't let guys like Wilfork or Mankins go. They clearly don't like to "overpay". But they do pay guys they feel are "worth it". I don't know about you but I think that's a smart way to do business and they have a track record to back it up. You're trying to spin it like a negative.

Edit to note that I may have misunderstood your tone. Seeing another response to your post below I think perhaps you were actually being positive about the "Patriot Way".

Steve Sewell
04-15-2010, 09:02 AM

Man you are on a roll today.

"Bowlen is broke" LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Dagmar
04-15-2010, 09:17 AM
Denver Bengals

How??

Mr.Meanie
04-15-2010, 09:37 AM

Nothing would make me happier as a fan to see our organization function like that.

Blueflame
04-15-2010, 12:41 PM
There probably were. But there's a big difference between window shopping and transacting. Why didn't the Seahawks pull the trigger? Why did the Ravens and Jets go different directions? Just a few examples. My point being that clearly the Broncos weren't the only team that strongly considered the risks of giving Marshall big $$$. Like it or not this is a business. It's not fantasy football.

I think Broncoman13 already answered this question. The Seahawks didn't pull the trigger and the Ravens and Jets went different directions because Brandon wanted to go to Miami. Yeah, he'd signed his tender but logic says the Miami deal was already in place before he did... and without it, he probably wouldn't have signed that tender even yet.

TonyR
04-15-2010, 12:49 PM
I think Broncoman13 already answered this question. The Seahawks didn't pull the trigger and the Ravens and Jets went different directions because Brandon wanted to go to Miami.

Possible but I don't buy it. First and foremost he wanted to get paid and he wanted out of Denver. Why visit Seattle back in March if not interested? I'll agree that Miami was probably his "first choice" if given a choice but I'm not certain he had other concrete offers to choose from. I'd be willing to bet that the NYJ and Balt never made a formal offer. Seattle may have but I think it had more to do with who offerred Denver more, not who offered Brandon more. Maybe I'll be proven wrong. But teams had several weeks to step up with a first round pick and nobody did it.

Broncoman13
04-15-2010, 12:59 PM
Nope, he wanted to go to Miami. It was a done deal 5 or 6 days ago according to 104.3 the Fan last night. You really think Brandon Marshall and Miami agreed to a contract that large in 4 or 5 hours? Seriously???

Blueflame
04-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Possible but I don't buy it. First and foremost he wanted to get paid and he wanted out of Denver. Why visit Seattle back in March if not interested? I'll agree that Miami was probably his "first choice" if given a choice but I'm not certain he had other concrete offers to choose from. I'd be willing to bet that the NYJ and Balt never made a formal offer. Seattle may have but I think it had more to do with who offerred Denver more, not who offered Brandon more. Maybe I'll be proven wrong. But teams had several weeks to step up with a first round pick and nobody did it.

My guess is that the visit to Seattle didn't go all that well. Maybe they weren't willing to give him $25 mil upfront. Or maybe it was still early and he wanted to explore more options. My guess is that he already knew where he wanted to go and his agent was working hard behind the scenes to make it happen.

The NFL gives second and third chances to players with far more serious legal questions than Marshall's (look no further than Michael Vick for proof of this). Of course a player with Marshall's talent was going to draw interest from other teams... but the low tender (just a first) and the known friction with his current coach was also going to encourage teams to seek a bargain-basement price.

Broncoman13
04-15-2010, 01:01 PM

Curious, but what makes you think somone didn't offer a first and the Broncos felt the two 2nds were more attractive? Less $ for two firsts and very good draft value. Much easier to move 2nd round picks around as well.

baja
04-15-2010, 01:08 PM
My guess is that the visit to Seattle didn't go all that well. Maybe they weren't willing to give him $25 mil upfront. Or maybe it was still early and he wanted to explore more options. My guess is that he already knew where he wanted to go and his agent was working hard behind the scenes to make it happen.

The NFL gives second and third chances to players with far more serious legal questions than Marshall's (look no further than Michael Vick for proof of this). Of course a player with Marshall's talent was going to draw interest from other teams... but the low tender (just a first) and the known friction with his current coach was also going to encourage teams to seek a bargain-basement price.

I'll say this if I ever need an agent I'm calling marshall's guy.

That is one hell of a deal he put together for Brandon.

Blueflame
04-15-2010, 01:32 PM
I'll say this if I ever need an agent I'm calling marshall's guy.

That is one hell of a deal he put together for Brandon.

If Brandon's off-the-field misadventures are truly in his past, he's well worth what Miami's giving him....

baja
04-15-2010, 01:35 PM
If Brandon's off-the-field misadventures are truly in his past, he's well worth what Miami's giving him....

Than you should be able to forgive McD for his time as a patriot.

Blueflame
04-15-2010, 01:46 PM
Than you should be able to forgive McD for his time as a patriot.

I'm not a Dolphins fan, Baja. Thus, I don't care what Marshall does in Miami.

TonyR
04-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Curious, but what makes you think somone didn't offer a first and the Broncos felt the two 2nds were more attractive? Less $ for two firsts and very good draft value. Much easier to move 2nd round picks around as well.

Possible. I wouldn't rule it out. I'd think somebody in the media would have sniffed out some of these things by now but perhaps we'll never know.

baja
04-15-2010, 02:37 PM
I'm not a Dolphins fan, Baja. Thus, I don't care what Marshall does in Miami.

You know I love ya Blue but your stance on McD is unsupportable. ;D

TonyR
04-15-2010, 02:39 PM
It was a done deal 5 or 6 days ago according to 104.3 the Fan last night. You really think Brandon Marshall and Miami agreed to a contract that large in 4 or 5 hours?

I don't think that and don't recall saying any such thing. But that may support my point. Miami aggressively pursued both a contract with BM and a trade with Den and we don't have any indication or evidence that anyone else did. Miami's interest is what initiated Denver to get the tender signed and get the deal done.

ScottXray
04-15-2010, 02:39 PM
The fact that the contract was signed about 4 hours after the trade was announced is a good indication that Marshalls agent had already had LOTS of discussions with Miami. Which kind of indicates that Miami must have had permission to do so, with Denvers blessing.

Probably the deal was done with Marshall and his agent for some time, and the only delay was working out the compensation Denver wanted to receive.
So, there probably was some back and forth between Marshalls agent and Denver. I would assume the amount that he got was known to Denver up front, and they had already decided that they were'nt going to match that kind of scratch, at least the guaranteed money. Also tells you that Drew Rosenhause was talking to Marshalls agent at some point, since he said the day before the trade that Marshall WOULD be traded for a second round pick. Guess he didn't know about the 2nd next year, but agents probably lie to each other also.

Miami is taking the risk that Marshall won't get a major suspension or injured, but they are getting a major talent, that much is certain. Too bad he didn't want to be here anymore.
I guess the fact that we got 2 2nds out of Parcells means that Xanders did fairly well in the exchange. The contract Marshall got would have made a lot of teams balk at giving anything more , or even equal.

I guess time will tell all, and maybe we did all right. But if Marshall is over his problems and flies straight we definitely will regret it at some point.

I only hope Denver has a great draft....we need it.

Blueflame
04-15-2010, 02:50 PM
You know I love ya Blue but your stance on McD is unsupportable. ;D

Why is it so "unsupportable" to need a rookie HC to convince one that he actually does know what he's doing? ???

Sorry, Baja. I'm not from Missouri, but he needs to "show me". And I won't be easy to win over.

baja
04-15-2010, 03:00 PM
Why is it so "unsupportable" to need a rookie HC to convince one that he actually does know what he's doing? ???

Sorry, Baja. I'm not from Missouri, but he needs to "show me". And I won't be easy to win over.

You remind of a movie on this Blue. Extreme Prejudice

Blueflame
04-15-2010, 03:04 PM
You remind of a movie on this Blue. Extreme Prejudice

Oh, well... *shrug*